Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Thank you, sirknight, but that's not it. That harmonic resonance is common with almost all sunroof cars these days. This is a haunting howl that occurs with windows open, closed, doors open, or closed, stereo and A/C on or off.....etc....
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Most sunroof equipped vehicles I've driven make this "thump-thump-thump" sound when all the other windows are closed. For me at least, the sound goes away (or I notice it much less) when I open the other windows a smidgen. Still while I like the brightness the sunroof gives my car's interior, I rarely open it so I hardly ever deal with this issue.
    My sunroof is worthless around here except in October & May.
  • shuieshuie Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at an Aviator, drove it a couple of days ago and was very pleased with the ride, pickup, handling and comfort. After reviewing the specs, I have a question and wondered if any of you had the answer. This would be my first V-8, and the specs say 91 octane gas as a minimum. Is this set in stone, or could I alternate tanks of a lower octane with that of a 91 octane? Would I be damaging the engine in anyway by not exclusively using 91 octane or higher? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    I had to fill up at a station in the middle of the desert that didn't have 91 octane. The engine didn't ping, but the performance was lousy.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    No, you don't have to use 91 octane but engine timing will be retarded to compensate resulting in poor performance and worse fuel economy which will at least partially if not totally negate any savings at the gas pump.

If it ran just as good on 87 octane do you really think the mfr would tell you to use 91?
  • avinavavinav Member Posts: 2
    Trying to decide between Avi and Nav -- I'm leaning towards Avi but husband leaning towards Nav mainly because he's 6'2 and appreciates the roominess of Nav. My main concern with Avi is that the 3rd row does not lie flat when folded down. Dealer says this is due to being "new" and once you put a little weight on it, problem will be solved. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • shuieshuie Member Posts: 2
    said to use. Simply asking what effect it would have on the engine. Thanks for answering.
  • avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    I have an Aviator with 1900 miles on it. The ride is terrific, but mechanically I am concerned.
    1) I too have the strange intermittent noise, it sounds like a "whoo..up" and a recent passenger thought it was coming from the rear quarter panel on the drivers side. One time the noise concluded with a long grinding noise.
    2) I have a constant howling/ringing sound when the car is above 25 mph (It is considerably louder after 45 mph). It starts when you put your foot on the gas pedal. It stops when you remove your foot. It is VERY annoying. It is definitely not the tires.
    3) The driver seat is loose. When you leave a stop light you move backwards. When you stop, you move forwards. Like an older mechanical seat adjustment that "latches" in when you move, except it keeps "latching" while you drive. It is very unsettling.

I feel that I need to know exactly what the problem is BEFORE I go to the dealership because it's over 100 miles away and they made it very clear that there would be NO loaner vehicle (unlike Lexus). So if anyone has these problems, please let me know the cure.
    Your dealer is wrong. Lincoln provides loaners as part of their service. Call the Lincoln customer assistance number in your owner's manual.
    Absolutely....don't let them get away with that. If the car needs to spend the night, you should get a car.

If you ever figure out what the noise is, I have a friend here who also has it, and would love a lead on it.
  • allycat520allycat520 Member Posts: 5
    On the advice of gteach26 (see message above) - I have been corresponding with a tech at flatratetech.com. He tells me that he needs more info on when the sound occurs - accel/coast/decel and what kind of driving conditions. I will pass along info from the messages - but I am getting concerned that this problem is even more widespread than I had previously believed. Are there any other examples/situations out there that I can pass onto the tech?
    Here is the advice from the tech:

Robert writes:

i have seen a few of these with this problem. it is more than likely in the rear differential. we have replaced a few for this issue. i even think there is a tsb related to this concern and should be common knowledge at this point at your local dealer.
  • ghengiscghengisc Member Posts: 24
    I have the same problem with my drivers seat also. I called the Lincoln service department and they think that a bolt might be loose or the track will need to be replaced.
         Also, for all of you that have dvd navigation systems and can't figure out how to get the digital clock to work, Lincoln can't either. In the owners manual, the nav system is supposed to have a digital clock that you can set in addition to the analog one. Navtech said that the digital clock is supposed to be on the Aviator navigation system only and not the others.
  • azaviownerazaviowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a new '03 Aviator and am very pleased with one exception and that is the performance of the air conditioning system. I live in the desert where temperatures this summer have been well over 100 degrees. I previously owned a Mountaineer and had no complaints about its air conditioning performance. However, the Aviator takes approximately 20 minutes for the air to really cool down when the vehicle is parked in the sun and the temperature is high. My dealer adjusted the pressure setting saying that the factory setting was too high. After I felt no difference, I took it back to them and they checked it out again and said all was well. They suggested that I take it to another dealer for a second opinion. That dealer said the compressor was bad and they replaced it. However, I have not noticed any appreciable difference in the cooling. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
  • cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    avfan2...I have an 02 Mountaineer which probably has the same mechanism as the Aviator. I thought that is was just a loose bolt as well. When they looked at it I was told that the track assembly needed to be replaced. I think they had to take the entire seat out because all the electric stuff had to be switched out from the old to the new. The service mgr should be able to tell you how long it will take. I left mine for the day.
    avfan2 - in response to your concerns the tech from flatratetech.com had this to say:

...without hearing these noises myself, it is hard to give you concrete diagnosis. Just based on the info you have given me, I would say it was a pretty good guess that the noises are coming from the rear differential housing and needs a new pumpkin assembly. let me know if it works out.

Let me know, and I will let the tech know if this is the appropriate fix!
    I also live in the desert, and my buddy's Aviator has excellent, ice cold A/C. I would have the expansion valve checked. They have been known to hang up and cause what you're describing. But what you are saying, is NOT normal for this car.

Not sure if that's good news or bad news for you, sorry.
  • jaekyun2jaekyun2 Member Posts: 8
    How about T-reg V8 Vs. Aviator Full option?
    or T-reg V6 (w/ Air Sus) Vs. Avaitor Full option?
    Cannot decide between two...
    The Aviator will have more power
    And a third row of seats.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    A VW, with their reliability issues? I think not...
  • jaekyun2jaekyun2 Member Posts: 8
    I heard Toureg V8 can beat even X5 4.4 and ML500..
    Well, I'm thinking V6 though for VW's high price policy in Korea. When considering (only) performance and ride, is T-reg V6 with Air suspension better than Aviator with full option? Or Aviator is the better SUV than that?
  • brian1000brian1000 Member Posts: 5
    I have the navigation system and there are no controls for the rear entertainment DVD system. When you choose DVD from the navigation screen, all that is accessible is the disable headphones, disable rear controls, and Aux functions. The chapter, FF, REW, etc are not displayed. Only a blank box where the controls should be displayed.

I bought the 2003 Kitty Hawk last week and so far I am very pleased with the vehicle. Only major gripe is that the sales manager was evidently driving the vehicle prior to my purchasing it and HE SMOKED IN THE VEHICLE. They are supposed to do an ozone treatment in the vehicle. I'm amazed at the level of stupidity that the sales mgr showed in this case. I can't stand the smell. It is more noticeable when the Climate control system is running. Is there a cabin air filter that should also be replaced? I will be talking to the GM of the dealership regarding this issue. Yo spend 50,000 for a vehicle and you wouldn't expect this to be an issue.
    I noticed that there are inserts for a cargo cover in the rear, but one didn't come with the vehicle. Did anyone get a cargo cover with their Aviator? Is it standard or aftermarket?
  • mlwlkmlwlk Member Posts: 10
    My new Aviator makes an annoying high pitched, whining or humming noise whenever my foot is pressing down on the accelerator, no matter what speed I'm traveling. I'm certain this noise is not tire related. It sounds like the noise is coming from somewhere in the back of the vehicle. I don't have any faith in the dealerships being able to figure this out quickly, so I'm trying to get some reliable information from an Aviator owner who has already been down this road and has experienced a successful solution to the problem. Please help by posting a reply message. Thanks!
    So far, this is common, and the consensus seems to be a defective differential (pumpkin). I hear Ford should have a TSB on it at the dealerships.
  • narendrannarendran Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where one might find color samples for the 2004 Aviator? I believe I saw a new color "Dove Gray" listed as a new interior color, and wanted to know how much darker it is than the 2003 Medium Ash.

I am looking for dark colored interior and not sure if it is worth waiting for the 2004 models for this. Only the Kitty Hawk 2003 comes in dark (black), but that does not come with a 2nd row bench.

Thanks,
    - Narendran.
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    I was very impressed with the Aviator in a few areas(ride,handling,and engine), but opted not to purchase. Here's why:
    1. Loud road/wind noise
    2. Depreciation. In our market the Aviator has been advertised at $8000-$9000 off the sticker price for the last three months, plus 60 months 0% financing. This has to hurt the resale value.
    3. Very poor gas mileage, which I guess is expected for the monster V-8 under the hood.
    4. Suspect build/quality issues, especially with a first year model.
    5. I couldn't get past the two-tone interiors. I thought it was well done, but I did not like either color combination offered.
    6. No dimming feature on the rear view mirror.
    7. Poor visability from the drivers seat.
    8. Side mirrors are not good
    9. Priced very close to the Navigator(which is being discounted $10,000 off the sticker price)

Overall the Aviator is a very good vehicle, but it was finished 3rd on my list. I hope this vehicle stays around, but it seems the large discounts offered(even for model year-end) are a sign it is not selling up to Ford's expectations.
    So what did you buy and what was #2? Build/quality issues surprises me.
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    Ended up purchasing a X5, second choice was a Navigator. I realize these are truck-based frames versus car based and different size/class vehicles. Towing/cargo space was not an issue. As for build/quality issues, I am cautious about first year models do to possible problems. A lot first year vehicles can have gremlins, no matter who is manufacturing them.

I will again seriously consider a Avaitor when I am ready for a new SUV in 2-3 years. I think Lincoln has hit a home run with both the Avaitor and the Navigator.
    Thanks for sharing.

Reasons why I chose the Navigator over the X-5:

Underpowered
    Uninspired 80's style dash & interior
    Cheap sounding stereo
    Too small, no 3rd seat
    Noisy, and not a nice engine noise either
    Hard steering effort
    9 recalls so far
    Only SUV to do a 420 degree circle braking on ice

It's very cute, but I expected a lot more from BMW, who I think, make phenomenal cars.
    Hmm, I think it's 11 recalls now. Last I remember... Too lazy to look for that info right now, just got back from the gym. :-)
  • prowler6prowler6 Member Posts: 1
    I saw two Aviators driving in the suburban St. Louis area on June 18 on the trip home from work. Appeared to be pilot vehicles from the Hazelwood, Missouri, factory. They looked even better on the road! Does anyone know whether a rear seat DVD entertainment system will be offered. Also, will the stability control system be available with AWD? If so, will it be offered at the initial launch?
  • ext25ext25 Member Posts: 32
    I think the number of safety recalls on the BMW X5 is now up to 12, or maybe thirteen. I too lost track. The last ones I remember were the the engine fire recall and the brake failure recall.

Whats so disappointing about BMW's problems are even the 2003 models have ben recalled. You would expect that after being on the market for so many years now they could get the quality right.
    Of course, the media doesn't keep an eye on it.... ya know, for those people who have that "halo perception" of BMW believing they are holy in some way....
    Aviator sold 2934 units in August. Almost as many units as typical Navigator sales month.... And to think, the media was already writting it's obituary....
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have two totally different vehicles and have had seat rocking issues with both (FX35 and Chrysler 300M) is there like a universal supplier for seat rails and they just make faulty products or something. I have also heard of this happening on othe following other cars.
    Acura TL
    G35
    Aviator/Explorer/Moutaineer
  • bruceappelbaumbruceappelbaum Member Posts: 2
    I own an Aviator and I'm interested in speaking to either the executive office of Lincoln or the Aviator Brand manager.When calling the 800 # for Lincoln on their web site,I've been told that they either do not have that info or will not release it.Would anyone have a Tel. # for the exec. office or the Name and # of the brand manager?
    Thanks
    Bruce
    bruce@optonline.net
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't post that sort of information on-line here; we don't have time or resources to verify contact info, not to mention a brand manager may not want her name plastered all over a forum. Stick to email - thanks!

Steve, Host
    Bruce, tell me exactly who you wish to speak to, and I'll direct you to the proper number if possible. Of course, chances of you speaking to the brand manager, might be as difficult as reaching Bill, but be more specific as to which exact person that can help you in whatever issue, you may need. If it's techinical, vehicle related, warranty related, complaint, etc.
    Well, if I'm not mistaken there are a few major vendors for seats for most auto manufacturers. One is Johnson Controls. The other major supplier is Lear. And you may be sitting on a Lear seat in a Ford, or in a Chrysler, whoever won the contract this year. So, that may be why seats move in many different brands. Not saying it's Lear, you understand....
    Looks like the Aviator seems to be selling pretty well after all. It even sold more than the hot-selling Volvo XC90 in August.

Some media people were predicting that the Aviator was just going to steal sales from the Mountaineer, but thats not happening. The Mountaineer sales were up 8% to 5,188, a record.

Just goes to show ya the media usually gets it wrong.
    Does anyone know anything about the new interior color for 2004, I think its called Dove Grey. How does it compare to the grey from the 2003s?
  • bruceappelbaumbruceappelbaum Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding.I'm looking for help on a technical issue that I feel my dealer is not giving me the correct info about.Please feel free to e-mail me with this info.
    Thanks again
    Bruce
    bruce@optonline.net
    Ok I'll email you with some numbers that might help.
  • raul69raul69 Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone been able to get better aftermarket floormats for their Aviator such as Cathall Mats. No one has them yet, which is puzzling since the 2004 model is coming out soon or is already out.
    Won't Explorer mats work?
  • biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    Automobile Magazine Reports in Oct. Issue...
                  Aviator is grounded
       "In 2005, Lincoln's Explorer-based Aviator will join the Blackwood in the automotive graveyard because of slow sales, according to suppliers and Ford and UAW insiders interviewed by Detroit Free Press and Automotive News The Aviator was launched last November."

So whats the deal? Neither Motor Trenc nor Car and Driver reported anything of the such in recent issues. I have generally found Automobile to be less accurate than MT or CD but they certainly had to get the information from somewhere...
    Scroll back a few messages from weeks ago, and you will read the real story.