Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Chris - I'm reasonably sure the 2003 LS gets the second generation AT as well. The release I read said it added understeer correction which would be applicable to the LS. I think they're putting a marketing twist on the benefits relative to the Aviator by talking about rollover avoidance - I don't think it does anything specifically for SUVs. Maybe Brian can verify.

gunz1 - it's not clear at all. Lincoln's website says it's optional but it's not an option on either the luxury or premium model. I THINK it's a standard feature on all Aviators now but at one time it may have been planned as an option. You may have to check with the dealer.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    The last product information sheet that I saw said that the heated & cooled seats are standard on the Premium model and are not available on the Luxury model, even as an option. Akirby has the best advice; check with a dealer to find out for sure, or call the Lincoln customer assistance center. Standard & optional equipment lists are usually in flux prior to introduction.
  • dvdstevedvdsteve Member Posts: 6
    Greetings from Woodbridge, NJ...

My dealer told me that his first Aviator was built last week, that it is in what he called "storage hold" while quality control issues are addressed... and that he expects it on his showroom in 4 weeks...

Steve
  • sirknightdsirknightd Member Posts: 96
    Anyone have any comments on the cost value of the Aviator compared to the Acura MDX, Volvo 90 suv,
    upcoming acura gx470?
    Depends on what is important to you. I test drove the Aviator in a focus group comparison with the MDX. It's got more power and more gadgets (heated/cooled seats, adjustable pedals, etc.) plus more interior room, especially in the 3rd row. It tows more and will do better off road. I found the MDX to be very nice and very smooth on the road due to its minivan chassis but otherwise uninspiring. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the vehicles you mentioned - it really comes down to personal preference. Drive them all and decide for yourself.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The Aviator is going to start shipping to dealers the last week of October....This was told to me today from Lincoln.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I was stopped at a traffic light in a suburb of Detroit and saw a silver one take a left turn right in front of me. WOW! Very sharp looking vehicle. Much be one of them out testing for quality gliches. They're almost here!
    smiling here..sounds great
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    I want to see one in my garage along side my Navigator!
    Greetings from Woodbridge, NJ,

Just read the Edmunds "Road Test" on the Aviator. You'll find it's link on the "Home" page above.

Not to be critical, but the review left a lot to be desired. (I am not saying that the Aviator left a lot to be desired.) I'm disappointed that the writer did not spend more time discussing the merits of the Aviator on the road. Guess it'll be up to members of this site to put some meat on the bones after we get into the driver's seat...as for me, I'm placing my '01 Navigator into the newspaper in 2 weeks since I have positive equity in the lease buyout...

Best regards to all,

Steve
    In other words - the same type of review they normally give. Must have been the Lincoln logo.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Helpful Links on the left sidebar for the Road Test link.

Steve, Host
  • hoikhoik Member Posts: 1
    Hello! from Hibbing, Minnesota.

I really do enjoy the Town Hall comments. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Aviator! Lincoln Division told me it would be on the showroom floor in December, 2002. I hope there is not any delay. I have a 2000 Lincoln LS which I really enjoy. I hope I will enjoy the Aviator as much as my Lincoln LS.
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    "On the SUV front, Lincoln's new Explorer-based Aviator also delivers the goods in terms of driver appeal. Just as its maker intended, the seven-seat Aviator offers the looks of its full-size Navigator, without the bulkiness. As with the LS, precise steering is the key to the Aviator's rewarding driving character. "

"More than simply a gussied up Explorer, the Aviator's structure, suspension and steering is significantly modified. The outcome is an SUV that is easier to place accurately in a corner than sloppy handling rivals such as the Mercedes-Benz M-class and the Acura MDX, both of which suffer from excessive body roll. "

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0210/16/-613990.htm

Greetings from Woodbridge, NJ

Just found this review...best that I've seen to date.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/03aviator.htm

Steve

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    My wife is 5' 10" and found that her shins hit the bottom of the dash in the MDX no matter how she positioned the front passenger seat. Also, the MDX feels like the Odyssey it is based on. We now own a 2002 Mountaineer, and the rough ride, especially on California's neglected and grooved concrete freeways is quite annoying. The tire noise is also bad. I see that the Aviator weighs hundreds of pounds more. Does anyone know if the Aviator is quieter and smoother than the Mountaineer / Explorer?
    I test drove the Aviator back to back with the MDX and I've owned previous generation explorers. It's not as quiet and smooth as the MDX but I thought it was the quietest, smoothest and most powerful truck based SUV that I've driven and should outperform the explorer/mountaineer in those departments. Of course the only way to tell for sure is to test one but I assure you it's not just an explorer with fancy options. The engine and suspension are definitely upgraded along with the interior. I think you'll like it.
    Another article on the Aviator:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5436&sid=181&n=157

"After driving the Aviator on Virginia back roads and through a “precision steering exercise” on a wet, foggy mountaintop, we can report that Aviator’s ride quality is hard to match among passenger cars, not to mention a body-on-frame SUV."

• aviatormanaviatorman Member Posts: 44
    To what I have read from reviews, road test, and ect. the ride is pretty good. The noises are not to be to bad..
    The site below is a Candian base road test of the Aviator.

www.candiandriver.com/articles/ly/03aviator.htm
    When everyone gets a chance to drive the Aviator...make sure you go through every feature and really drive it hard, take an extended test drive. This is a winner and I'm a tough sale.

Rich
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Spoke to my local dealer today. He said first shipment has been delayed 'til next month. They are going to run production for a while without shipping so they can be sure there are no problems (recalls).
    That to bad it is delayed agian. But at least they are worried about recalls and othe problems.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Does the Aviator come with xenon lamps? or are HID's the same thing?

Thanks
    are HIDs.
    What is telematics? Which is late availability.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The Aviator does NOT have stability control. For a $40K-plus SUV, it should have it! I think every other SUV in the class has it, even the MDX. Just wondering...maybe, they will add it in by next year.
    I definitely want one. I'm totally sold. And I don't need to take delivery until April, 2004. (That's when the lease is up on my wife's Mountaineer) Perhaps they'll be out by then!
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    Advance Trac is available on the 2003 Explorer but not the 2003 Mountaineer or Aviator at Job 1. Advance Trac II, perhaps with an anti roll-over feature will be late (Job 2?) availability. Advance-Trac II is supposed to be available in the 2003 Lincoln LS which will be introduced in November. I assume that final tweaks are being made to the system to further refine its features.

I drove and rode in the several 2003 Volvo SUV's at the Chicago Motor Speedway about 10 days ago. They had a demo driver take 3-200+lb passengers on a 60 mph obstacle-in-the-road maneuver with a quick right turn then immediate left turn. UNBELIEVABLE! I thought we were going to flip onto our top, but no muss, no fuss. It is a gyroscope type of operation that immediately kicks in upon impending rollover.

I have Advance Trac on my 2001 Lincoln LS and would not buy a car without it. My 2003 Explorer w/Advance Trac arrived this week to replace my lease extension expired 1999 Explorer. I wanted an Aviator but could not wait for the availability of AdvanceTrac.

By all accounts, the Aviator is a terrific SUV. I envy those who will be the first to own.
    USA Today had a review of the new Aviator.....

"In fact, Aviator seems nicer to drive than the Mercedes-Benz M-class, BMW X5 and Acura MDX SUVs, all on hand here for comparison. Each of those fancy machines can come up with a dominant point, but none felt as good overall as Aviator did in the Shenandoah Mountains along the Virginia-West Virginia border, some of the sweetest countryside there is."
    On the USA Today review of the Aviator it claims it is going on sale next week, anyone else heard that?
    We had people from out dealership participate in a similar ride and drive. There was apx 20 in total there...all but one felt the Mercedes ML500 was the ranked last....The MDX was the surprise of the bunch, Acura has done a great job converting a mini-van into an suv.... the BMW was nice but the price wasnt bashful... The Lexus was nice but not in the same league, I just didnt like it..but I can see why people do.. The Aviator had a few things that could be changed but overall was very impressive and certainly a serious competator in the Mid sized luxury SUV market...I could not find any major weak points with the Aviator and I looked hard.

The biggest problem, from a marketing standpoint, is the lack of a strong lease program. This segment usually runs 60-70% lease. Many buyers in the class can not afford the buy the vehicle so they must lease...
    while sittiing outside a sidewalk cafe...my ten year old..whose been listening to me first talking about getting a mountaineer and then waiting for the aviator says..dad..look a truck full of mountaineers...i glanced..and said no..he said navigators...i said no...it was a flock of aviators..mostly black and silver ones..headed to one of the many dealers here on long island, ny
    Since you saw a "flock" of them proably going to a dealer maybe that is a sign the delays are over.YEA!!!!!!
    That seems to confirm what Lincoln said a few weeks ago, that the Aviator would start shipping the last week of October.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    WOW! You must have seen a transporter with 8% of the total Aviator production YTD.

October 28th Automotive News Truck Production Report indicates that 99 Aviators have been built YTD thru 10/26, but only 16 built last week. Boy, talk about a slow ramp-up! I guess there should be no quality-challenged Aviators delivered now.
    Reminds me of the intro of the Tahoe in 96. Couldn't find one on the dirt for months.....
    The TV show Motorweek has a road test of the Aviator coming up. My TV Guide says it airs tomorrow (Sat 11/2) on PBS but the Motorweek website says it doesn't air until Nov 15th show. We shall see!
  • force98force98 Member Posts: 81
    FYI--subject trophy was just awarded to the new Volvo XC 90. It beat the Aviator and Lexus GX 470, just to name a few. I drove a new XC 90 today and was very impressed. I think Volvo did a very good job. Now I can't wait to test drive a new Aviator.
    It's to bad the Aviator did not win the award. I am not that impressed with the XC90's styling.
    According to the Blueovalnews website the St Louis plant got authorization to begin shipping the new Aviator.

I guess this means dealers should see them very soon.
    It's about time. I can't wait to go look and hopefully buy one.
    The Car Connection web site has a new review.....
  • novoqnovoq Member Posts: 26
    My dealer confirmed that they have 3 Aviators arriving on Nov 11. I'm on the west coast so mid west dealers should get theirs sooner.
    but did find one at auto.com

http://www.auto.com/reviews/iwirk2_20021102.htm

The only one I could find on carconnection is from 10/26.

• force98force98 Member Posts: 81
    I was fortunate enough to test drive an Aviator a few hours ago. I was very impressed and liked it better than the Volvo XC 90 I test drove a few days ago. Unfortunately it was a 2WD--can't wait to try an AWD.
    Thanks for the auto.com review link. It was very helpful.

I've been waiting to find out when Advance Trak and the navigation system are going to be available and the review answered by questions.

"Besides Advance Trak, the navigation system from the Lincoln LS will be added as an option on Aviator, along with an optional tire-pressure monitoring system, in December."
    If I decide to order an Aviator both of those options are a must for me. I've heard both Dec and Jan for the availibility for these; which is perfect timing for me.
    I've been curious to see what the navigation system is going to look like. I thought the news that it's the same system as the LS would help. The only problem is that the LS does not offer a nav sys as an option.

Maybe they meant the '03 LS model or maybe they meant it would share the nav system of the Navigator truck which seems to make more sense as the interiors are similar.

Any ideas or seen any pics of interior with nav system?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Uh-oh. Looks like Ford did it again.

-Andrew L