Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Body Work Problems

Comments

• impe1595impe1595 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 NBC with the 2.0 engine and auto. It was very sluggish for about the first 4 or 5 thousand miles but after that it seemed to gradually acquire more zip. Now with 20 K miles it is actually peppy (but I still would not challange anyone at a stoplight!) If the new 5 cyl. engine is anything like the 4 cyl, maybe it just has to "wear in" a little.

I was a bit worried about the reliability issues noted in this and other forums, but to date I have had absolutely no problems.

Also, I have carefully tracted mileage for the last 20K miles and I have averaged 29.50 MPG on 87 octane gas driving mostly highway at speeds usually no more than 5-10 over posted limits.

Point is - I am happy with my NBC. Hope this helps in your decision.
  • sadbug03sadbug03 Member Posts: 4
    Electric Woes. 2003 Conv top needs new module $450 only availalbe at dealer. power window modluel $626, only available at dealer, anybody care to ask me about the magnetic signs on the 4 sides and what they read as viewd 25 hours per week on I 4 between Orlando and Tampa Florida?
  • sadbug03sadbug03 Member Posts: 4
    2003 VW bug, convt, sad owner, not reliable
  • islayislay Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought a 2004 beetle cab in 2005 from a deler here in the UK. they had previously owned the car as a demo. when i bought it the roof was clunking when going down so they fixed it before i picked it up. since then ihave had nothing but problems with the roof going up and down and have had more than one moter for the roof and replaced sensors more than once.
    Unfortunatly i took my car in once again for the same problems and they found a plastic 75 ml diet coke bottle in the mechanism which had slipped down after a friend left it on the parcel shelf, obviously i knew nothing about it. when they found it they told me i had invalidated my warenty and they would not fix the roof without me paying £4000 to get a new roof. slightly annoyed as they never really fixed it in the first place and i was never warned of the dangers of things slipping in to the mechanism only that it would break the window. does anyone know of any simelar problems with things slipping into the mechanism. There is nothing about the danger in the Manual either but VW are very resistant and will not help. :sick: :cry: :sick:
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Member Posts: 462
    Well I'm with VW on this. If your coke bottle got swept up and then bent something then I'd say that the repair is on you.

4000 quid seems quite high though for the repair. Take your car to an independent shop that specializes in VW's and see if they can fix it for less.
  • tmw1tmw1 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a Sebring convertible for many years now but I'd like something smaller. I really like the VW Beetles but I was put off when I found out that you always have to put the boot over the top (even with an automatic top). After watching how it folds down and where it sits once it does, it seems to me that it would probably be alright without the boot as long as one was just puttering around town. Can anyone shed any light on the necessity of the boot? Thanks! :confuse:
  • lrj1lrj1 Member Posts: 1
    :) I have a 2003 drop top. The sales person told me I did not need to have the boot on the top at all, it was only for aesthetics, because the top is secured in place mechanically when lowered. Don't know if he was correct but I very seldom use the boot. No problems with the top yet.
  • tmw1tmw1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your input! I've been watching around town and I've seen several running around without the boot. Now I have to decide if I can wait until they come out with one that runs on alternative fuel! :)
  • cuervogoldcuervogold Member Posts: 2
    we have a 2004 new beetle convertable and the switch in the passenger set turns off and on the airbag. turbo gls, btw.
  • bugger2007bugger2007 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy a convertible beetle and I noticed it's not offered in black in 2006. With the 2007's coming out soon, does anyone know if they will offer black? If so, I'll wait - if not, I'll settle on another color...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • jpettegrewjpettegrew Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2007 black on black Beetle convertible. The 2007's come with black interiors only. I expect delivery by late September.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    If the seats are "letherette", they will be extremely hot in the summer.
  • ltbluebugltbluebug Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 bug convertible...today my passenger window shattered in a million pieces when I shut the door...scarey site...glad we did not get hurt...is this an issue with bugs? and I was wondering if I am still under warranty...the VW service center is closed today...figures..I have not had the car for 3 years..can someone help> thanks!
  • kildogkildog Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I bought my 2006 NBC June 2 ... the first time the check engine light came on was July 11 :surprise: . I drove it to the dealer's service department ASP; the report was that the computer diagnostic found nothing wrong with the engine/exhaust system so they reset the computer/dashboard.

Two weeks later, the light started coming on/going off "at will." I called the dealer service center -- they asked me if I had the gas cap screwed on tightly :mad: Please! After having to wait for an appointment that fit my schedule (I was out of town for three weeks), I finally got the car in and lo ... they decided the gas cap was screwed on tightly! They also decided it was a mystery why the light kept coming on. After three days in the shop, I got the car back with a new 02 Sensor bank.

I love my car (especially after driving the Ford Focus rental car-- VW did foot that bill along with the O2 parts and labor), but have had more fears confirmed:
    a) I'm going to have to watch the car like a hawk -- I used to drive a '69 Bug, so I'm used to this, but with the old Bug, when I heard/felt a problem, I could pull over to the side of the road, pull out the tools and make the necessary adjustment; not so with this computer on wheels.
    b) I'm going to have to "ride" VW like a tick on a dog to keep them faithful to their warranty.

In the end, I'm still :) with the car ... but trying to remember it is a machine.
  • soulraptorsoulraptor Member Posts: 1
    It is probably way too late for this reply, but your car should have still been under warranty (depends on mileage), and the problem with the window could have been a faulty regulator. The window is designed to drop down about 1/4" when the door is open to allow clearance. If the regulator is faulty, this may not have happened, and the window would have contacted the top when closing causing the window to shatter. It the top was down at the time, this would not be the cause. Other than that I have heard of no faults with the windows that would cause the break.
  • dznishdznish Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 New Beetle Convertible, is it supposed to come with a convertible boot cover? It has the semi-automatic cover.
  • dusty18dusty18 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Back in the day, there were springy eyes that could attach to old volkswagon beetles.

Does anyone remember these, or know where I could find them?

Many thanks!
  • bloodhoundbloodhound Member Posts: 2
  • bloodhoundbloodhound Member Posts: 2
    the dome light won't turn off after the door is opened on a new beetle.

I have been told it's a door lock problem, if so how do I get the door panel off!

Thanks
    Dan
  • diannefdiannef Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 Beetle Convertible, the only problem I have with it is the roof at first it would not open, took it to the dealer and they said it was because I got rear ended, never did, the finally fixed it under warranty but now it rattles, driving me crazy, took it to the dealer and they got it to stop, now it rattles again all the time. Anyone have this problem? I only have 10,000 miles on the car and I am about to get rid of it, my husband did not want me to buy it, "a Chick car" one good thing he wont drive it, but I don't want him to know he was right. So can anyone HELP?
    Thank you
    Dianne :sick:
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Take the car to another dealer as it is still under warranty. I would take it to a VW dealer that also has a body shop. Maybe their body shop personnel are more familiar with such problems becuase they fix wrecked cars and know the roof mechanism better than regular technicians.
  • bambam2687bambam2687 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I love my car- I do, but I have to say I hate VW. My auto tranny was running rough and I took it to the dealer who (of course) said I must replace the tranny altogether for a whopping $6500. I took it to Aamco for a second opinion who told me that VW won't release the codes for the diagnostics and won't even sell parts for the tranny's on their new models- it's all or nothing! They took it apart to confirm it couldn't be fixed and told me the inside was burned out. They also confirmed the cost of at least $6k!

My car is 3.5 years old and has $75K miles. It's TOO SOON to be dealing with this! As hard as I try to find a creplacement I just can't find a car I like so I think I'm going ahead with the repairs. Can I bargain them down? Do I have any rights to have VW help with any of the cost? What can I do? I feel like a total sucker and I'm so afraid to poor $7k into this car only to have more issues.

Thanks!
  • geco1geco1 Member Posts: 1
    I did little research before purchasing this brand new cool Geco Green convertabile off the dealer floor - felt confidant that from all I have read purchasing a forign car for the first time no quality problems. After reading and doing some research I am now getting nervous - if there is a problem will it be honored under warrenty - sounds like VW might not be too customer friendly. Any expeienced VW owners have good experience?
  • denasdenas Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking for a new vehicle and I really like the VW NBC, but I am a bit weary of purchasing one after reviewing problems people have had with them. I am just looking for some advice, is the car worth the potential trouble....or should I cave and go for a toyota instead?
  • jodonyjodony Member Posts: 4
    Hey denas - Well these things happen with every type of car now and then I guess. I have had a beautiful Harvest Moon NBC for 11 months now, and I haven't even been for service yet (5k mi so far). You will have nowhere near as much fun in any Toyota as in the bug... so go and get it! Good luck with your purchase!
  • dcm5150dcm5150 Member Posts: 7
    We have been having lots of problems with our 2003 Beetle Convertible. There were a few minor things in the first couple years. Then recently, the car had to be in the shop for nearly THREE weeks as the drivers door basically fell off. At least it was under warranty.

Now, 1 week after warranty experied, the rear passaenger window won't move. Took it in to the dealer and they want $900 to "fix" it, yet they don't even know if their recommendation will even solve the problem.

Don't buy this car and don't deal with VW dealers!
  • jrich3jrich3 Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner of a 2002 beetle that i got new for my 16th birthday. I love it so much but i have had so many problems with it, the check engine light has been on for a year and no dealership can figure out what is wrong with it and just recently i had to replace the water filter and all of that. I have been wanting the convertible beetle for some time now but after reading all of these posts i am beginning to wonder if it is even worth taking the chance on getting a lemon. As of now it is a tossup between a new beetle convertible or a new mustang convertible. I know both have problems but i just cant decide. Anyone with knowledge on both cars HELP!
    What exactly is a water filter ?

My choice to drive would be the mustang convertible. The VW will likely be less reliable but potentially could have a higher resale value if that is a consideration. So you'll probably pay more to keep the VW running, but when you sell it you just may get more for the VW than the Mustang.

- Just my two cents
  • jwinstonjwinston Member Posts: 3
    I looked a many beetle convertibles and liked them all but the repair problems...i decided to buy a used miata,6 years old and no problems whatsoever in the last year.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi...

This is precisely why I'm leery of buying a VW, whether it be the NB/NBconvertible, or the new Rabbit. Negative reliability/dependabilty issues with VW in general, are the usual suspects or culprits, so to speak, which I don't care for (speaking for myself).
    As nice as the VW machines are I'd rather go with an automotive brand that has a better record in those regards, IMHO.

I'm glad you dig your trouble free Miata!!! ;)

Good luck... :)

Peace! :shades:
  • dyansacouturedyansacouture Member Posts: 1
    I had a 98 beetle since 2003 I got it as a birthday gift when I was a junior in high school, I loved my car, last month it was parked in front of my house and some stupid lady hit it head on and totaled it. The insurance ended up giving me 6800 dollars for it, and given that my parents paid 7 thousand even, it was as if I had rented the car for 4 years for only 200 dollars, my parents bit the bullet and bought me a 2004 NBC 2.0 and I LOVE IT. we've had no problems with it, it has 60 thousand miles and is amazing. I turn so many heads in my car, and I must say, bumping High School Musical has never looked cooler. ha ha
    Sorry all of you have had such negative experiences :confuse:

People looking to buy, consider this:
    Thousands upon thousands of these cars have been sold, and the comments you see on here reflect a small number of people, you're not hearing any of the good experiences b/c people who are having good experiences with their NBC's are too busy enjoying their car to come on here and post about it. So take whats said on here with a grain of salt.

These car's are amazing!<3 :blush::blush::D:)
    Well what you say is true - any particular car can be good or bad. You may get lucky and not have any problems.

The problem is taken as a whole late model VW's just haven't been as reliable as their Japanese or even domestic competition.

VW couldn't make their cars fast enough in the late 90's. The cars were selling for way over list price and people were on waiting lists to take one home. VW had that envied demographic of the twenty somethings that would potentially stick loyal to the brand over their driving lifetime.

And then the problems started. You can read about them here on this forum - just do a search. VW really blew it cause' most of the people who bought their cars in the late 90's would never even consider a VW again. VW sales although improving are a shadow of what they were and the financials of the company reflect that.

So although you liked your car and apparently didnt have any problems, As a group your peers had a vastly different experience.

Look where VW comes out in the reliability ratings...

• melissa604melissa604 Member Posts: 1
    I need some good advice...purchased a brand new NBC in 04, right out of show room. I fell hard but got a good deal and have had VW's in past, 3 times. Never any problems.
    NOW, nothing but problems... inside light comes on when ever it wants to, bells go off for no reason, one night @ 11:30 on a busy highway the car just turned off, couldn't even display hazzard lights. The trunk opens at will, doors lock at will, including locking my infant granddaughter inside with my keys. Thankfully I was at home so had access to my spare. Another night got home from work and car would not turn off for over half an hour. My son was going to come over and unhook the battery. None of my windows work, none of the electrical buttons work, in fact my driver side window has been half down for about a month now, waiting to get into repair with a loaner car.

The dealers (I'm now dealing with my 2nd because of poor service at the 1st) say that my warranty will run out at the end of July, the date car was delivered to the dealer, almost a year prior to my purchase. Their reasons i) I got too good of a deal therefore the warranty will remain as is. ii) Part of the negoiation process is addressing the warranty, neither I have heard of before.
    Isn't there a legal agreement that if your car has xxx many issues it will be deemed a lemon and either replaced or money returned?? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Melissa 604 :lemon: :lemon:
    You probably have a case for a lemon law buyback.

You didn't mention what state you live in. The state laws will determine if a lemon law buyback is available.

Consult with some of the legal help available...

Do a search on automobile Lemon laws

here's a couple of links to get you started...

http://www.consumer-action.org/archive/English/library/cars/2001_LemonLaw/?English/library/cars/2001_LemonLaw/

http://dealerselect.com/lemon/lemonbystate.html
  • kay9999kay9999 Member Posts: 1
    I am a big fan of VW Beetle convertibles and happy to say, no problems as of yet. I just bought a 2005 automatic convertible and now need to sell my beloved 2005 turbo manual convertible. The ONLY reason I am selling the Turbo is that I injured my leg and am no longer able to drive a clutch. The car is in excellent condition, very low mileage and was always garaged. I would love for someone to buy her who would appreciate her as I did. I'm not trying to use this board as a sales area, but was just looking for any suggestions. I refuse to trade her in; she's worth much more than the dealer would pay. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thank you for any suggestions! Go Beetles :):):)
  • blanyrdblanyrd Member Posts: 1
    I have been addressing this issue with my wife's 2003 Beetle Convertible. The car is not under warranty any more and the front window shattered out. They say it is due to the regulator failing. Then the rear passanger window broke the cable on the regulator and just makes a grinding noise when you hit the power lock button. I took it to kalamazoo mi maple hill auto mall for service and they quoted me $190 parts and service. Ask the dealer about regulator cable issues? :confuse:
  • henry6512henry6512 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2007 Triple White. Its a great car. No problems, other than I can't seem to get the white leatherette seats clean. Any suggestions? :)
  • ssgsal91pssgsal91p Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve these problems....?

My wife has a 2003 VW BUG CONVERT GLX that has encountered the same exact problems. Rt passenger side window shattered during warranty period, but the Driver side rear window cables disconnected after warranty expired and VW Service in Greenwood, IN, said $400 parts & $400 labor & they would "replace" & fix the Rear Window....even though the Rear window motor did not need to be replaced...?
  • lidiarafallidiarafal Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody
    I'm offering some accessories for VW. Please check following links

VW Volkswagen Beetle Convertible Boot Cover 1Y0 871 041

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=16014690- 6586

VW Volkswagen Beetle Conv. Windstop Screen 1Y0 862 951

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=16014690- 5528

Thank You
  • mgossettmgossett Member Posts: 9
    My daughter bought a 2003 VW Beetle Convertible new. She lives in Phoenix and drives a lot of miles so is over her mileage warranty. However, the window motors on her car have gone out six times. Four under warranty, and then we had to pay for two ($800 each). No help from Volkswagon. Her mechanic just told me this was a manufacturer defect and the warranties had been extended for 7 years, but was unsure if this covered convertibles. Does anyone know? He said mileage should not effect window motors. I'm wanting to know if I have any recourse. :lemon:
  • momin87momin87 Member Posts: 4
    hi...i hear you...my daughter also has a vw 2003 convertible beetle...it only has 24,000 miles nad has been out of warranty for only 3 months...during warranty the window motor went out once...(covered) and last week another window went...yes..800.00. Im getting concerned hearing this. I spoke with VW of america and they refuse to assist. I will never buy or think of buying another vw over this issue...any ideas...Im wondering if we can get a large enough group together...migh consider class action suit??? be in touch. this problem is obviously not isolated to only us.
    It seems like everyone's window is breaking!!! And usually just out of warranty.

Does anybody know anything about recalls, such as who and when a recall is declared (I assume its the NSTB, but not sure). I would guess since its probably not a major safety issue that it will be ignored.

By the way, for those who have paid to get it fixed, make sure you keep your receipts. If they do issue a recall they should have to reimburse you if you paid for the repairs (happened on a previous vehicle).
    Okay, I contacted VW again - no help. I contacted BBB Autoline - I'm probably not going to get help there because of mileage but going to try. I want to file a class action suit, but we need more people to respond first. Then, I'll figure out how to go about it.
  • ggarnerggarner Member Posts: 2
    Bought 2004 NBC Turbo at 35000 miles, at 45000 miles the convertible top had problems retracting and it was repaired under warranty, at 55,000 miles the drivers side rear window would not roll up, paid dealer $800.00 to replace motor, motor supposedly has a built in computer that allows it to work with the convertible top. Tow months later, the one of the cover pieces on the same window would not close when the top was put up and they wanted another two hundred and fifty to replace this cosmetic piece. I worked with it and it finally fixed itself. go figure. Now at 65,000 miles the passenger side window is doing the same thing, we are scheduled to take it to the dealer tomorrow, if they say it is a window motor we plan to attempt to purchase the motor through a body shop and have our friend that is a certified mechanic install it for us at a minimal cost. Sign me up for any class action effort to force VW to deal with this problem and yes I do have my receipt from the first time. Love the car, afraid to drive it, 26 mpg on the highway, great ride and great sound system.
  • momin87momin87 Member Posts: 4
    OK...heres a start..I just got off the phone with VW of America customer service. This was the first decent rep ive spoken with since this problem began..He suggested that everyone I am aware of that is going through this window issue should call them and file a complaint and WV will look at extending the warranty and covering it!! call this number:1800-822-8987
  • smitty79smitty79 Member Posts: 1
    Just spoke to VW to complain about this - passenger side broke last year under warranty, but it happened again on the driver's side yesterday - dreading taking it in on Thursday and seeing how much they're going to charge me...

Call and let them know if you've had this problem as well, I'm sure it takes MANY complaints before they issue a recall!
    There is also a place to file complaints online at the NHTSA.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/
    The form requires some detailed information about your car (VIN, etc) and requires you to coose from a list of issues. For the window is close to the bottom of the list, something like "Visibility: Window Side/Rear". The start of the form seems a bit daunting as they ask the date of the incident, whether people died and if there was a fire. The rest seems more like a normal complaint form.

Anyway, might be interesting if a bunch of people filled it out. It might now even take too many if they start to investigate, I'm sure they can get repair records from VW, but we need to get investigation started.
    Mom in 87 - Did you happen to get the name of the nice representative? If so, please post they are suppose to call me tomorrow or next day. I would like to talk to a nice one for a change. Also, I have a plan. I live approximately 160 miles from El Paso. I am going to attend the next Volkswagon Rally there, in my cute little 2006 VW (yes I bought one two, of course this was because I was unaware of the window problem at the time, she didn't tell me until she had to take care of the two out of warranty). Anyway, I'm going to put a sign on my car I'M CUTE, BUT BUYER BEWARE. I'm sure I will be asked a lot of questions, and I can take names of other VW owners with same type of problem. Probably get names for a class action or forced recall much faster this way. Also, just today I had two comments on my cute little car (she gets lots of attention, especially with top down) anyway informed both people I would never buy VW again because of dissatisfaction with this problem and poor customer service. I'm sure we all live in different parts of the country. Anyone else willing to attend a Rally?
  • mkeelermkeeler Member Posts: 1
    Well today has left me frustrated. :mad: Frustrated that my New Convertible Beetle has been in the shop more than my driveway - and always with overnight stays without a loaner car. :lemon: The usual issue is usually a check engine light on, but this one is different.

I pulled in my driveway last week, with my driver's side window down just to expose about 1-2 inches of glass. I shut the door as one normally would, and before I reached the back of the car, the complete window shattered - most inside of the door.

My VW dealership has informed me that although my bug is still under warranty, that the window's regulator is intact and working fine, and because of this, the breaking of the window is attributed to an "outside influence".

Basically, they are saying I am lying as to what happened.

I am really frustrated, and not finished with this one.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with the window?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've never had this happen to me, although I can see how it might take place. Not sure how likely the following scenario is, but it's about all I can think of to explain it.
    With the roofline the way it is, there's not a lot to support the glass when the window is partially down. The door gets shut and the door frame stops the door, but the glass wants to keep moving. What's really stopping it is the top edge of the door, which sort of acts like a fulcrum. Must have just been in the absolute right spot to cause the glass to fail.

I understand why you're taking it that way, but I don't think they're saying you're lying. They're just looking at the door, seeing that everything (other than the shattered glass) appears normal and functioning, so some "outside influence" must be the cause.

Weird stuff DOES happen sometimes. :confuse: