Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Body Work Problems

Comments

• momin87momin87 Member Posts: 4
    NO! I feel stupid..but they MUST doucument all calls and complaints. so keep calling and AMAZING IDEA!!!! gather as many names as possible!!!!!Lets beat this!!! id like to talk to you directly..how can we do that...EVERYONE CALL VW OF AMERICA>>>FILE A COMPLAINT!!!!!!!!! we can get this covered and protect ourselves in the future hopefully getting VW to extend the warranty for a few years as they have for other issues, Yes the car is adorable...but is not what I expected from VW...looks like they went for a quick fast...buck...not acting proactive with their product...making some more bucks on the window parts.....I have a range rover(daughter drives the beetle)...so between these two cars..ill be filing chapter 11..lol...be in touch!!..Yea...perhaps they need to reinvent their original campaign..."Drivers Wanted" looks like they are gonna need them...
  • dcm5150dcm5150 Member Posts: 7
    I did see a similar complaint when I was browsing the complaint list at the NHSTA website.
  • inspired4inspired4 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in your class action suit! I am fed up with my 2004 VW Beetle Convertible to the point where I am planning to look for a new car. I have had numerous incidents with my windows-I have lost count. Usually one of the front windows hits the roof when you put them up and then go immediately back down. This has happened under warranty and I regret not extending my warranty. I have also paid to have it fixed after the warranty and then fixed free under the parts warranty from when I paid for it. Now, my rear window won't go up all the way and they want to charge me $811 for a new motor and labor. I'm so tired of such a "fragile" car with all it's minor annoying problems. (How 'bout the breaklight that they can't seem to fix!) I really do plan to get a new car and believe me it will not be a Volkswagen! Please let me know if you figure out a way to have Volkswagen take responsibility for this problem.
  • tessofnapatessofnapa Member Posts: 1
    I too own a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible with window issues. From the day I brought my car home I had problems with the front window, I was told it was a known design defect. Three years later they finally fixed the problem. Six weeks ago my rear driver side window broke, stuck in the down position. I took my car to the dealership where it still remains. Unfortunately I was 1,500 over my warranty and was told it would cost $860 to replace the motor regulator. I called VW customer care where they agreed to pay for 50% of the cost for labor and parts. Two days later I found out the part was on back order, over 2,000 requests for the part. There was no estimated time when the motor would be available. After 4 weeks of waiting, I called another dealership to see if they had anything different to add. They recommended to not replace the motor regulator as the design defect still exists and its only a matter of time before it would stop working. They recommended buying a repair kit which corrects the defect at a cost of $120, plus labor. I called my dealership back and discussed with them, of course they were not aware of such a kit, but after doing "their research" they came across a "new bulletin" that VW was getting ready to publish (hum questionable?) The dealership called me this week to advise me the repair kit was in and my car would be ready. Ten minutes later the dealership called me back to tell me it was the wrong side and would need to re-order and hopefully they are in stock. This was 2 days ago and have not heard back. Have never been more frustrated and disappointed with service. If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.
  • mgossettmgossett Member Posts: 9
    Just spoke to a representative at VW again. Very courteous and I directed her to this site and tried to make them aware of what is going on here and that I would be filing a class action suit. She did tell me that she will escalate this and get my complaint reviewed internally. IMPORTANT: Everyone with claim needs to KEEP CALLING VW and refusing to take no for any answer. I requested my monies back and that warranty on windows (all 4) be extended for 7 years, what I believe is the maximum amount of time for a loan. At least we would like the cars paid off before having to pay $800 a pop. KEEP CALLING = DON'T TAKE NO, at least we will keep them busy on the phone until suit can be filed. The sad part is this little 2006 was my dream car. I have wanted a VW bug since I was a teenager and a convertible. Thank goodness I took out extended warranty on mine. Don't forget attend a rally in largest city near you with sign - IM CUTE, BUYER BEWARE and take names. We can divvy up the work and expense required on this. Post here which rally you intend to attend so we can be sure we show up at lots of different places. Once you have names, I made my email public instead of private. I want to be contacted with names so I can take to lawyer. Once it is filed maybe we can get on tv to get more names for class action suit like they do for the medicine things. We can make this huge issue. Also, be sure anyone commenting on your cute little car is always made aware your not happy with VW. I plan to look us dates for next rally whether in El Paso, Lubbock, Midland or Albuquerque and be at the next one.
    I just filed my complaint at http:/www-ode.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/comlain. The very nice representative suggests everyone file a complaint. Actually, this probably is a safety issue. If you can't roll your windows up you are sure setting yourself up to be robbed. You can make the complaint on the web or by phone. Need VIN #. PLEASE EVERYONE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THEM.
    Basically, I've been going about this wrong on the forum and I apologize to the host. However, because I am withing to resolve this issue I have gone public on the forum. By clicking on my name you can reach me directly. However, keep posting on website because we must hear about everyone's problems with Beetle.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've emailed you about other options as well, like CarSpace pages and blogs.

If you haven't set yours up yet and need to know more, feel free to click on my username and send an email with your questions.

Part of the host job description! ;)

And since I mentioned blogs...LOL... hope you'll enjoy mine. I'm doing a VW entry tomorrow!
    Alternate Route
  • momin87momin87 Member Posts: 4
    OK...GREAT NEWS>..I already have 2 interested Los Angeles Attorneys interested in this case....One was outraged when he heard about what we are all going through with VW. Apparently he has numerous huge class action suits with HUGE wins under his belt!...Other on isnt as aggressive..I say we push for the cut throat man and hit them huge. PLEASE PEOPLE POST HERE>>>TELL US OF YOUR HORRIFIC WINDOW ISSUES>>>>>this post is doing something. We need as much input as possible.
    Talking about problems with vehicles here is fine, but the forums cannot be used for discussion of or organizing any legal action. Please keep that off the forums and in email.

Thanks!
    Look we are going about this wrong and apologies to host again. He has directed us to car space and set up blog, I'm going to try to do that either tomorrow or Saturday depending on schedule. I think this is where we can take names. Hey great about attorney, I can't wait to hear from you. Call me.
    I've talked abou VW in my blog today and even linked back to this discussion. Stop by and read my ramblings and leave a comment if the mood strikes you! :P
    http://www.carspace.com/blogs/AlternateRoute/Virginia-is-for-Bug-ers
    Please go to my blog BUG SQUASHER in CarSpace blog to give your information about your problems with VW windows and regulators.
    Just in case they don't know how to find your CarSpace page or blog, here are the links:
    http://www.carspace.com/mgossett
    http://www.carspace.com/blogs/Make-VW-Pay/

Be sure to join her list of friends so you can leave comments! And remember that you need to be logged in to leave comments as well! :shades:

Any questions about setting up CarSpace pages or blogs of your own, feel free to pop me an email and I'll point you down the right road.
    The link to this is http://www.carspace.com/mgossett or http://www.carspace.com/blogs/Make-VW-Pay

However this is to the HOST. Since I changed the blog name to BUG SQUASHER, is that second link still valid. If not, would you please post what is valid? I'm not real sure about this part of things.
    That first crack at creating your blog generates the URL for your blog. Since you changed the name, that just changes the name that displays on the page, it just doesn't change the address to get there. So that link still takes you directly to the blog.
  • drownedbugdrownedbug Member Posts: 2
    I saw a lengthy discussion on beetle window problems. I also have a rear passenger window not working but that is the least of my problems at the moment.

I have had numerous problems with my convertible top getting stuck down. I have been to the VW shop four times. Each time they fix it and it works for a while and then breaks again. It has something to do with those awful flaps. Two of the times my convertible top has stuck in the down position I got caught in rainstorms and had to take shelter in covered parking garages until the rain stopped. I am NOT a happy Beetle owner.

My car is still in warranty but being a 2004 it will expire soon. I have no reason to believe the convertible problems will be permanently fixed and now I am wondering if window problems are next.

Is anyone here also having convertible top problems?
  • bugiskillingmebugiskillingme Member Posts: 1
    yes. the freaking car sucks. sucks.sucks.
    my rear window is coming right unglued from the damn top. the rear windows do not go down (broken motors) the wings/flaps just flew across the car one day....the engine light is always on.
  • crappybugcrappybug Member Posts: 1
    My driver side rear window got stuck halfway up the other day, so I put the top down to try to get a better grip on the window to pull it up. As soon as the top was down, the window slammed down & now I can't get the window or the top up! On top of all that, now my engine is making a horrible clicking noise when I turn it off. I'm taking it in tomorrow, but one of my employees has also had this same exact issue w/ her car that's two years older & it took 2 dealerships a total of 4 weeks to fix her issue. I have a 2005. I'm ready to trade it in for a real car, not a toy. :lemon:
  • maggie26maggie26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 VW Beetle convertible and the rear window is also coming unglued from the window. It was suggested that I replace the top for a cost of $2500 plus. Did you have yours fixed or just trade it off. This happened a few days after the warrenty expired. I have a long history with Beetles and my old ones where twice the car of my newer one! I am not happy!
  • kempdogkempdog Member Posts: 2
    my wifes vw has the same problem with the rear window, it is almost ready to fall out. The dealership says it is not under warranty because this is not a mehanical problem. What happened with you ?
  • kempdogkempdog Member Posts: 2
    The rear window of our convertible is falling out (coming unglued ), while the car is still under warranty, the dealership says this is not a mechanical problem, so this is not covered. The dealership says we need to replace the whole roof for 3,000.00 Has any one had a dealership warrant the repair ? The list of other defects is long. A new transmission, fuel pump, 4 windows, the car is in the shop every three weeks or so.
  • dougiebugdougiebug Member Posts: 1
    My dealer ordered new/replacement clips for the rear window. The clips cost $10.00 and it took 10 minutes to install.....I hope this helps.
  • nitroboynitroboy Member Posts: 4
    I found a 2004 powder blue, black top with 16,000 miles for $19,000.00. Is this a good price and if so should I buy it? It sounds as if they have some issues.
  • junkvwjunkvw Member Posts: 1
    Hey kempdog.. did you find any solutions for the ungluing of your convertible top? the wife came home today and it had fallen into the trunk area... I can't seem to locate someone to repair them.. except a shady dealership in miami..
  • aspen001aspen001 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 diesel but would love to have a convertible diesel, does anyone know if they make one, thank :)
  • bofigbofig Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003, Beetle convertible, perfect condition, garage kept since new, 19k miles, my window is coming loose from the material for no apparent reason. Customer service claims they have no problems in this area, then I went to this forum and finding all kinds of problems, the window is going to fall out. I Took it to dealer they didn't even look at it, they said you need a new top!!! can't fix it, not covered under warrantee, and your out of warrantee anyway, they aggravated the hell out of me! I'm not spending $2475, on new top, called insurance company, thinking that maybe some one tried to kick it in, they said put a claim in see what adjuster thinks, still a $500 deductible. This should fall under the lemon law but good luck with that its like fighting City Hall, Is there a manufacturer out there that stands behind their cars German engineering my butt!! They have to know about the fabric shrinking and pulling away from glass, how hard would it be to engineer that factor into the design, I will never buy a VW of any model. I'll figure out how to fix it myself.
  • moto7moto7 Member Posts: 13
    My wife really wants a new beetle conv. but after reviewing some of the problems mentioned here, I'm a little cautious. Most of the serious and common problems seem to be with the 2004's. Does anyone know if Volks has corrected any of the consistent engineering/mfg issues like the windows, etc. on the newer models (2007, 2008)??. Is there a blog or website that informs of VW problem addressing?
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    Yes, I was actually thinking of purchasing a 2008 but won't buy anything until I read the forums on edmunds first. I think the car is so cute but consumer reports shows that their reliability ranked well below average - after reading all of these posts, I can see why. Anyone out there with a 2008 that can give us some honest feedback?
  • rustyswimsrustyswims Member Posts: 1
    Well, I don't know about the 2008 models but I bought a new 2005 TDI Turbo Diesel 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder in April of 2005. The fuel mileage is excellent and have had little to no problems with this Beetle, a hardtop.

The only problems I have had are; 1). The tail lights. The passenger went out first, then four months later the drivers and about 5 months later the passenger again. The problem is the dealership charged $54.00 each time. The service-person told me they charge $109.00 for the headlights. 2). In May 2008, an engine light came on indicating that something was wrong with the emmisions detector. My Beetle was still in warranty and the sensor was replaced w/o charge. I have yet to experience any of the problems mentioned in this forum or any of the others. Apparently some folks have had mucho problemos. I suppose one could say that I have been lucky. I know two other Beetle owners and neither has had the problems mentiond in this forum.

If you make the decision to buy a Beetle, before you sign on the dotted line, tell the salesman you want the service manager to show you how to remove the tail and headlight assemblies so you can replace the bulb yourself if needed.

I am hoping to give my Beetle to my daughter next year and get the convertible. I am not deterred by the problems expressed here. My concern is the mileage difference. I get up to 45 mpg on the highway and between 38 and 41 in city driving. My highway milage came about by setting the cruise to 65 mph on a 400 mile trip. In the city I drive very conservativly. The 2008 convertible comes with a 5 cylinder gasoline engine which is rated at 20 mpg in the city and some 29 to 30 on the highway, quite a drop for me. I'll have to see what the fuel situation is next year. But I must say, I am in love with the convertible and would not hesitate to buy one were it not for the mileage.
  • dnealdneal Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2008 SE about 3 months ago. I have 2000 miles on it. I also own a 2006 VW Passat and used to work for VW (2 years ago). Quite honestly, I would never buy a VW without having a warranty.... I would also get rid of the car once it was out of warranty.
    From what I have witnessed, you are really gambling with these vehicles. Don't get me wrong I love the fit and finish, the engineering, the styling, but when things go wrong they go wrong. Unfortunately, it is always expensive and if you are out of warranty you could be in real trouble. My passat has been a great car. No major issues. However, I have several friends and associates that have owned passats. Many have not been so lucky (endless check engine lights and other warnings). I like the passat and since I did work for VW, I was able to get a crazy deal on leasing the Beetle.
    The Beetle has been good so far... I did take it into the shop for some squeaking coming from the steering column when I turned the steering wheel from side to side. This is all I have experienced so far. As far as I am concerned as long as the car is repaired under warranty (no cost to me) and it doesn't leave me stranded than I am good.
  • bugdudebugdude Member Posts: 1
    Your problem with the window is not just related to vw beetles. all new convertibles went to the new one piece top with window built into it, all of them are falling out not just yours. The coast is higher because it has the defroster glass build into the top and it is a canvas top material. You may be able to get a Trim shop to regue it if it is not all the way out of the top. You may also get a replacement top for alot less money than the factory. Then I suggest you sell it as fast as you can the top not going up is just out of time and is not a big deal just takes a few minutes to reset.
    good luck
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I just purchaed a 2008 Beetle Convertible - SE model. Got it mainly for my teenage daughters, and also wanted a convertible as I haven't had one for years. The car is great....lots of pep, good brakes, comfortable seats and fantastic stereo. I did look at blogs etc. for VW Beetles, and it appears most of the problems were on earlier models. More recent models seem to be pretty trouble free. VW's are also fun to drive, so always take that into consideration when purchasing a vehicle. Look forward to many years of VW fun ---- and the new ones have a 4 year / 50,000 mile warrenty, so should not be a concern for a long time.
  • jerseybuggggjerseybugggg Member Posts: 1
    This is my third VW Beetle, and only my first Beetle convertible. My first new beetle was a 99, what a horror! Everything you can think of from the first month I bought that car can and went wrong. Three transmissions replaced to defective paint, front wheels locked, smoke pouring out of the dashboard and vents, etc. I was able to finally turn in the car with more than 6 months left on the lease. Only after suing VW Of America and Three County VW in NJ. The dealership sold me a brand new car that was involved in a front end crash. I switched over to Gensinger VW for service. They also helped me with the deposition.

In 2006, I had major issues with the power windows. VW people told me it was a change of climate from north to south. The extreme heat temperatures do effect a car more so than cold weather. Well, that me be the case, however the windows were still giving me a hassle when I moved back to the north east.

Approximately, one month ago, the alternator went on my beetle. I had to be towed and that was replaced.

Friday afternoon, I was driving on 95 South two hours from where I live and the battery light lit up. I naturally was concerned. I turned off the CD player and the air conditioner.

I stopped for gasoline and left the engine on, which I never do. I proceeded on with my driving back on the highway. The speedometer was stuck on 15. The battery light was diming and flickering. Then the convertible light was flashing next to the clock. My car seemed as if I had to push it, it had no pep. The rest of the lights on the dashboard lit up. The seatbelt, oil, ABS and brake light all lit up at the same time.

As I approached my destination the car speed was slowing down without stepping on the brake. My hazards wouldn't turn off, they were faintly flashing, the windows would just about roll down. The exhaust was making a humming sound and then you can hear it missing (timing was off), the exhaust system underneath the car was rattling, and there was a smell of rubber coming out from the hood of the car.

I pulled off the road and into a seafood restaurant. This is where my beetle just stopped all together. However, the hazards were still slightly flashing.

VW Roadside Assistance was horrible on Friday. The first time ever, I had a problem with them. I placed my call into them at 3:15 pm (EST), they didn't arrive until 6:30 pm. I was hoping that I could get my car towed to the VW dealership before they close at 6pm. NOT. Finally after my third request, they finally listened to me, because I was upset on the phone and they dispatched a new flat bed. Roadside Assistance gave me an excuse that the tow was called to an accident.

I bought my beetle brand new and it only has approximately 33,600 miles. I heard that these cars are famous for electrical problems. I hope whatever is causing these issues, that they find a solution soon. Needless to say, VW people will not be able to look at my car until Monday.

I was thinking that it may be the computer on the car or maybe the computer and the battery. Any ideas?
  • smcclartysmcclarty Member Posts: 4
    Is there any more information I need to know about the clips? I will go to a dealer today and request it. No one seems to think it can be glued back. I would love to be able to fix this problem for ten bucks!!
    How do you reset? I am encouraged that this is not a big problem. I thought I was going to need to replace the top AND the mechanism at a quote of $8,000.

I have had many beetles. The diesel 2002 was a true LEMON!! I spend as much on repairs as the car cost new! Now this problem with the 2004 convertible is very disheartening. I don't think I can afford to buy any more beetles or any VW product ever again. I also have a Toyota convertible and I have never had any problems with it.
  • 04beetleconv04beetleconv Member Posts: 2
    have you had any experience re-installing the rear flap assembly (driver's side)? dropped the top last night, heard a crunch, before I knew it, the plastic backing w/ all the moving parts was toast ($110) along with the plastic ball end joints on the actuator rod that connect the flap to the motor (of course, you can't buy just the ball joints, had to replace the entire rod assy @ $50); if you have, is there an adjustment on this tiny "tie rod" I need to worry about? oh yeah, my rear window is falling out as well.....
  • tobysmomtobysmom Member Posts: 1
    I had both rear flap assemblies do exactly what yours did last year. I have an '03. Mine were going to cost $650 each to replace and of course the warranty had expired two months previous. I got in touch with VW and made the argument that these parts should have been better made and after much back & forth they replaced both flaps at N/C. About two months ago the rear passenger window stopped working and had to be replaced ($450). Now two weeks ago the top stopped going down all the way. The dealership charged me $55 to tell me that it needs further investigation and that either the left or the right motors that takes the top up and down need to be replaced. Maybe $700 plus. I'm sure both sides will need to be replaced as it's been my experience that left & right on everything needs to be replaced. I've been very disappointed in the so-called German engineering of this car. But my back window is still in place.
  • 04beetleconv04beetleconv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. It ended up not being a major ordeal; The hardest part was removing the body component from the flap assembly, but the flap assembly is held in place w/ 2 - 4mm head hex head set screws; the sliding cover (slightly forward of this flap assembly) had to be manually held back to access one of the screws, but, once the existing broken assembly was removed, the new assy slid right in and bolted up; I popped the body part back onto the flap assembly, installed the cam rod assembly, and it works like a champ. Still not happy about it breaking to begin with, but the wife really likes the car.......still need to address the rear window trim popping out...
  • gcgritsgcgrits Member Posts: 1
    It's nice to know that I don't have the only 2004 lemon. Everyone in my dealership knows who I am by name. Just discovered the window falling out the top. I am being told by a top shop that it has to be replaced because the pocket isn't deep enough to reglue and the shrinkage makes it impossible. Of course it is out of warranty. This just 'tops' the list of issues with this car. Every time something breaks I have to bring it back 3 to 4 times before they get it right. I have been through 3 head lights including wiring harness (but get told I don't have electrical problems even though the wiring harness' are burnt out), 3 batteries, 3 driver side door window regulators, the rods and clips in the top have broken multiple times (including the first week I had it). Then the icing on the cake, the last recall for the air bag sensors, I have to put in a claim to be paid back, because I already had to replace those. I love the idea of my bug and I do love to drive it, but I will not by another VW, I was just saying today, if this is German Engineering, they can keep it. I would rather have my 1981 Chevette back! :sick:
    The VW dealership in Jackson, MS told me it would cost $4,000 to replace the top and $8,000 if the mechanism also had to be replaced. As it turned out, both had to be replaced, being just out of warranty, so I found a local person recommended to me by a VW buff who restores bugs. He replaced the top at his home garage and the mechanism for under $2,000. I would recommend to anyone facing this problem to find a local person who specializes in VWs or maybe foreign cars to recommend someone to replace the top.

I just got rid of a 2002 VW Turbo Diesel which I can honestly say was a true lemon and should have been turned in as such. I took a beating on it financially and would have paid someone to take it off my hands. I won't be buying anymore VW products; I won't even buy a German made product. I have owned numerous VWs and an Audi and I will never own another.
  • marconiusrex24marconiusrex24 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my beetle convertible since spring of 2004 and have not had too many problems (knock on Wood) I have enjoyed the car and have only recently began to experience some problems now that is out of warranty. I had to pay 600 to fix a problem with the cylinders and the turbo charge unit. I had to fix another problem with the dive train that, thankfully , was still under warranty.

I put my top down last weekend and heard the loud "crack" and got out to see that the plastic cover plate on the driver side did not "get out of the way" and it cracked it completely off!

Thanks to all of you I preemptively called VW to tell them that they need to pay for what I would consider a design flaw or a "design failure"

They did not make any promises...but I will push it.

Do any of you know if there have been enough problems with this or other top/window issues to prompt a class action suit???

I would be interested to know.

Thanks much.
    UPDATE! I took my car into the dealership today just to have them take a look at it and...LOW AND BEHOLD...THEY SAY I NEED TO PAY $8,000 FOR A NEW TOP! (Aside from the $265 for the cover plate replacement) I tried to get the guy to explain to me why on earth it would need a new frame. I just don't get it. I am going to push VW to pay for this as I consider it a catastrophic failure of one of the most important design features on the car 4 months out of warranty. I am wishing I had bought the extended warranty now.

Wish me luck!
    My back window is not falling out...(yet..knock on wood) but the dealer today said they have a repair kit for this now...rather than having to replace the top. Not sure what the cost is though.
    I had the same problem with my '04 conv. I opened the top last weekend and heard a loud crack. The cover plate cracked completely off. Then I noticed the the fabric of the top had pulled back from the body a little bit. The dealership is saying the whole frame has to be replaced at with an $8,000 price tag!!!!! I am pushing VW to pay for what I consider a major design defect.

Wish me luck. If they don't I may be looking for someone else to replace it for less cost like you did. Are you happy with this less expensive top?

Thanks
    Mark
    Hi I have an even bigger problem with my 2004 convertible ...my top broke for no reason. - just 4 months out of warranty. They are telling me it will cost $8,000 to replace the entire top!!!!! I followed up with VW America and they came back with a very stingy $4,000 to replace it....can you believe that crap?

Anyway...what it the website you have outlined in your message above...the link does not work. I am interested in getting my own class action suit started for this problem.

Thanks
    Mark
  • dcm5150dcm5150 Member Posts: 7
    Uh oh, this frightens me a bit as by wife just said that she is having problems with her top! I'm certainly not paying $8k to have it fixed. I think the car is going for trade in for a car that will actually not break every other day and one that doesn't cost a minimum of $1000 to get fixed no matter what it is.
  • winklebugwinklebug Member Posts: 3
    I, too have a VW Convertible and the top broke as well. It started that it was very difficult to lock the handle--almost impossible. I fotunately had a warrant on my NEWLY purchased 2004 VW Beetle. I have had many problems with this vehicle --the first two weeks--the thermostat failed...the windows wouldn't align..that is when I realized that the top may be out of alignment..they replaced the top--the receipt said 3200.00.

Now the little arm that lift the flaps up and down broke...which finally got the flap caught in the way of the top and broke off--ugh. How frustrating--eventhough I have warranty coverage ..it is so inconvenient to find time to take it to the dealership--to get repairs done.

Ever since the top was replaced the windows act strange..the guy at VW Serivce said ,"Oh , I jsut have to reset the windows.." He rolled the windows down..held the button down and then rolled them back up. I was waiting for him to say,m "There ya go little lady!" I drove away becasue there was a Category 3 Hurricane coming that day--so I crossed my fingers.

That was a month ago and now the windows have a mind of their own---jsut when the driver's side gets up to the top--it rolls back down--argh! I get so angry...

This car is cute and I have been wanting one since their release in 1996...but..ummm..my 1987 Honda Accord is more reliable! With it 's 217, 000 mileage. :confuse:
    I actually have not had too many problems with this car over the 4 1/2 years I owned it. But with this now it seems like I am waiting for the next thing to fail. I still have not had the top fixed. I am contacting the better business bureau to file a complaint and am going to write to VW America to escalate the issue.
  • hogginshoggins Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Since having my 06 beetle April of 06, I've had to have VW replace my radio three times because my CD players is constantly giving me CD error messages, kicking the CD out when I shut the car off but still listening the the CD ( i.e. pumping gas) , not reading CD's or having a CD get jammed inside the CD player.

Is anyone else having these same or similar issues?