Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Body Work Problems

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Have you discussed with the dealer or VWOA about a buy back or replacement? If oyur car has been out of service for over 40 days, its time to take action and not wait for them to call you.
  • newbeetleconvnewbeetleconv Member Posts: 6
    I have contacted VWOA and all they have done is assign me an advocate and given me a case number. They did put me on hold last week and talked to the srvice manager at my dealership (who thought that I had the car in possession- when in fact they did!) and assured me that everything is being done that can be. Anyone out there familiar with California Lemon Law? I'd love a replacement or just a guarantee that the top will work. Thanks.
    I don't think that is too much to ask.....Good Luck!!
    Well, finally got my car out of the shop. Top seems to be working fine...for now. Question: Do I have to put the boot on when the top is down? I had a Cabriolet for 17 years and rarely would put the boot on. So is the boot on the new convertible an integral part of the "top down design?" Thanks
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You don't HAVE to use the boot cover. It will help keep your headliner clean and the car will look nicer with it on.
  • adaveyadavey Member Posts: 30
    i've had mine for >6 months and >8k miles. no problems yet--except for the "press" triangle to release the handle to start the top. it snapped in half. they fixed it without a fuss. i put the top down at least once every day. i don't use the cover because it flown off twice. vw says "they know and they're working on it"
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I think this little car is way overpriced for what it offers in terms of quality, equipment, and performance. $ 27K for this heap? Consider where it is made and how huge the profit margin must be on these for the manufacturer. They price them the same as if they were made in Germany where labor costs are astronomical compared to Mexico.
    Thanks for the response regarding the Boot. I feel better now knowing that it doesn't have to be on. 2 days in a row now and no problems-yeah! As far as the Mexican product goes, any other thoughts on that one?
  • antzantz Member Posts: 13
    Paid $25k + Tax +Title + Doc.fee = $27142.25 for a 2004 GLS 2.0L + Leather + ESP + CD X-ger. Is this around what other people are paying?

Thanks for any feedback

BTW, It's snow here in Cleveland! :-|

Antz
    Have a quick question regarding the driver's side window. At times when I close the door, the window doesn't "catch" under the lip of the roof and I have to really slam the door to get it to "catch."
    Anyone else finding this? 3 weeks and no other probs--lovin it!
  • jbart23jbart23 Member Posts: 2
    '04 Beetle Convertibles will be available in cyber-green...can someone tell me if that is the same green as the Coupe? Also, I know that it will also be available w/ beige interior, but will the top match? I feel the top and the interior must match!
  • marthatlmarthatl Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into the 2004 NB convertible and really don't want to pay for the turbo engine. Will I have problems accelerating on the freeway and accelerating up hills with the standard 2.0L engine? I'm planning on getting the 6 speed automatic transmission. Also, is there anyone not having problems with the top? I got a little worried after reading some of the horror stories. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Have you tried testdriving the NBC 2.0 and getting on the freeway? Just a warning, it is one of the slowest accelerating cars on the market today. The turbo is a little faster, which would mean acceleraing on the freeway would be a little safer.

Basically, testdrive it to make sure it is to your liking.
    If you look at the 0-60 times on the VW website, you will see that the 2.0 manual is actually faster the equivalent turbo diesel counterpart. The turbo 1.8 will be faster though. Just FYI!!

I have a Jetta with 2.0 and, yes it could be faster, but overall I have never had trouble merging with traffic.
    Hey Folks- I heard from VWOA today regarding my non-working driver side window. Seems that there are many of you experiencing the same problem. I was told that they would be having all those motors and levers fixed by January and and tops that are damaged due to the window sticking under the top would also have a full, free replacement top in January. I was told to contact my Service Manager at Prestige Imports and he confirmed all of it. Just passing it along.
  • vwmanjimbvwmanjimb Member Posts: 28
    The Beetle Conv. will be avialable in the Cyber Green. It is the same color as the Beetle Coupe. As far as the top and interior is concerned. You can get beige interior with beige or black top. The beige top might be hard to find because they are limiting the beige top in production. I have not seen a beige top yet. I have had a couple black tops in and they sold real fast.
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    New Beetle owner here (just 339 miles). After driving home, I discovered the A/C was not working. It comes on, lights up, and blows,... the compressor even sounds like it's kicking in, but no cold air.

I'm trying to save about 2 hours driving time back to the dealer....any ideas on what it could be?

thanks... JED, 03 TDI Beetle
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi jed1894. I'd like to suggest that you post your problem in our Air Conditioner Problems--All Cars discussion. It resides on our Maintenance & Repair board, and you might get more feedback there.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vwmanjimbvwmanjimb Member Posts: 28
    I stand corrected...You CANNOT have a beige top with cyber green. Is only available on black and blue. My fault...sorry.
  • alfonso_halfonso_h Member Posts: 6
    I'm so excited on saturday i'm trading in my 2001 VW Beetle Coupe for the convertible.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi alfonso_h, and welcome to Town Hall! Congrats on your purchase, and please let us know what you think about your new VW.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hunkofjunkhunkofjunk Member Posts: 1
    i dont know where to start i have had my VW convertible for 1 year now and it is a lemon my airbag light has come on ever since i pulled the car off hte lot a total of six times it has been on. every time i take it 2 the dealer they say they have fixd it but they havent. im fed up with this hunkofjunk. thats not it either my driver side wheel creeks and they cant fix it they say. my passager window went off track brakes squeek when the car is cold my cover dont fit of course. i guess im sayin dont buy hte convertible until the bugs are worked out.
    "...until the bugs are worked out?" It IS a BUG!
    When i got my convertible they didnt have any convertibles with onstar, in-dash cd player, or satelite radio. Does anyone know when these will be available on the bugs. I thought that these are late availability options, and they will be available by the end of the year.
    1,000 miles and still loving my 2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T
  • kimrisa1kimrisa1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between a PT Cruiser and VW Bug convertible. I know that the PT Cruiser is definitely more practical but the VW bug convertible is just so charming. Are there any of you VW Convertible owners out there with kids who can stand up in it's defense? Is it a pain getting the kids in and out, having very little cargo space, etc? Or is the "cuteness" of the car worth the effort? Should I just go for the PT Cruiser and get over it?!

Also--is there really a big difference between the VW Turbo automatic engine and the standard one? Should I hold out for the Turbo?

Thanks in advance!
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    I would definitely purchase a VW ANY DAY before a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep product. A family friend has a 2002 PT Cruiser and has had nothing but problems from day one.

Jeremy
    i have not driven the pt convertible how about that? i have the nb convertible and would not even think about a chrysler/dodge, but it might be for someone else. i have three kids and they love it.
  • brookeebrookee Member Posts: 1
    I am all set to buy a new 2004 auto GLS convertible. I test drove one yesterday and while it did not have the pick up of my old Porsche it seemed fine on the freeway. After reading the posts here about the top and the reliability of the car I am getting nervous. Any thoughts on this? I loved the way it looked. That's foolish probably. Does anyone love their NBC?
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    Is the NBC still going for MSRP?
    anyone have a buying experience to share?
  • kmlutzkmlutz Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a NBC - and I LOVE IT!!! I was able to find a used one in the color I want with only 6500 miles on it, so I got a deal. aspesisteve - I did get quotes on the new one. I got quoted about $22,500 out the door (including tax, title, registration) for the GLS with the cold weather package, so that's definitely below MSRP here in Boston.
    the NBC was/is going for sticker. the regular NB is less of course. i've had mine for over year. drive it every day; it has over 11k miles on it and i've had no trouble at all with it. people still tell me how cool it is. my service experience has been more than adequate. (heritage vw in union city, ga)
  • lemonadelemonade Member Posts: 1
    Within the first year (12k miles), my 2003 convertible beetle has been back to the dealership more times than I can count. Let's see...the engine temperature light came on and stayed on, the airbag light came on and stayed on, the boot doesn't snap into place, the driver's side window doesn't stay on track, the brakes squeak, the tiptronic transmission only engages 30% of the time, the dash lights go "strobe" on me about once a month, the plastic visor clip covers broke off on both sides, frequently the car won't start until the 3rd try, and there is a prominent ticking noise in the engine that I was told is "normal"??? It comes as no surprise that there are already 3 used 2003 conv. beetles on the lot at my dealership. There is about to be a fourth...
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    that's what a dealer was advertising a NBC here in the San Jose, CA area. I was a little surprised to see that with the weather warming up.
    i hope my bug turns out better than your disaster-mobile.
  • bigredbigred Member Posts: 1
    I'm car shopping and was looking 04 NBC GLX 2.0 auto. I'm concerned with all the problems and complaints consumers are having that seem to be posted here. I mentioned to the dealer if some of the issues have been addressed and fixed. Does any one know if the issues have been worked out or is the dealer feeding me a line. I need something reliable that isn't going to be in shop continually like I've heard here.
    If you are concerned about the reliability, then find out which vehicles in the VW convertible price category have the highest reliability ratings and buy one of those. I am sure that VW convertible is not among them. Consider where this car is made and how much the people who make it are paid.
  • sageradsagerad Member Posts: 5
    I visited the VW dealer yesterday and really liked the NBC. I came home and read some of the messages here, and a lot of people have had a not-so-good experience with the car. Is there anyone out there who actually is happy with the NBC?

Somewhat OT: Is there any objective reourse in cyberspace to research the reliability of a car model?
  • family1family1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when will VW drop the 2.0 liter engine for a larger size engine? I'm thinking of buying a VW convertible manual GL or possibly a GLS.

I drove the 2.0 and the 1.9 turbo convertible and it seems to be struggling to get speed.

Also does anyone have experience with the GL manual convertible top. Does it work well? Does it unlock with the same kind of handle as the automatic? Do you have to snap it down?

Your response will be appreciated.
  • lisa1lisa1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2004 1/2 New Beetle Convertible (w/ in-dash CD) and I'm loving it. I'm glad I didn't read some of these poor reviews first, because I've wanted this car since it became available, and it would have broken my heart to be talked out of it. I'm hoping that there were drastic improvements made to the 2004 over the 2003. FYI - I have the GLS w/ auto, leather, ESP, windscreen, and ski sack and I paid $23,750 (List = $26,005). One more thing, for those wanting more power...for goodness sakes, it's a bug. Why would you even care about having more power under the hood?
  • kellysnykellysny Member Posts: 5
    200 miles and I love my 1.8 beetle conv. too!!
    Just wanted to tell everyone the price I got (before the rebate!) was $1800 less that the TMV price. So lower your bids!! just wanted to share the information. I'd been watching the beetles and they aren't selling well here in the NYC suburbs.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    As the owner of a 2000 Focus, I've found that the NHTSA site offers a good source. They tend to filter out the "remorse" and nitpicky complainers, and provide a count of complaints for the models you are interested in.
    Some people end up (intentionally?) posting twice, but overall it's a fair site.
  • ddossddoss Member Posts: 2
    I'm in a panic! I have my heart set on the new Beetle convertible and a manager from a Nissan dealership told me today he just heard that 2004 is the last year they will be built because of consumer problems and I should consider getting a Nissan 350Z. Has anyone else heard this? I only want the VW! If this is true then I'm very depressed. I've been holding out for a white NBC with white top and white seats. They used to make this triple white package in a VW Cabriolet that I owned and loved the look of it.
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    Do NOT trust the idiot manager from the dealership!!
    The Beetle convertible will be around until at least 2007. Maybe 2008. No one is sure what happens after that.
    The 2005 (coming out this summer) will have new lights, modified interior and maybe a new engine. So you should wait a couple of months if you can, to see if the 2005s are worht it. (I am ...)
    Why would anyone interested in a Beetle Convertible shop at a Nissan dealer for a $35000 Z?

Also, check out CarsDirect.com .They list the new NBCs for almost $2000 under sticker. These cars do not go for MSRP anymore...
    Also......the 350Z is having issues of it's own. My dad just had his Z bought back by Nissan.....
  • aggiegirl92aggiegirl92 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the purchase of a NBC, but am unsure if I want to dish out the money. My 1999 Integra is paid for, but I really want something with "personality and fun factor". What would be a reasonable amount of money I could expect to pay for a 2004 NBC GLS 1.8L auto? Anyone know of any VW incentives/rebates? Thanks!
  • ddossddoss Member Posts: 2
    The reason I was at the Nissan dealership was to appease my husband. He is not excited about the NBC and asked that I please at least look at the 350Z before I decide. I looked and it just didn't do anything for me. Nothing is as cute as the bug!
    Well, if you buy a car only based on how "cute" it is, then you deserve all the problems that come with it. For one, this is a Mexican made vehicle using overengineered systems made of questionable reliability components made all over the world and assembled with questionable care and quality control. Remember that the overall reliability of a system with components in series is always less than the reliability of the least reliable component in that system. While you may be lucky and get a really good Bug, chances also are that you may buy a lemon that nobody will be able to fix.
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    To criticize the Bug for being made in Mexico is borderline racist.
    The PT Cruiser is also made in Mexico, and is one of the most reliable small car on the market. The Bug is not over engeneered. Being based on the previous Golf platform .
    The problem with VW is quality control. The German made Passat has the same problems. And the have these problems in Europe as well, where their Golfs and Jettas (Vento over there)are all made in Germany. None of these cars come from Mexico.
    Most people who have a good car, do not mention it on these forums. And most of these cars are good. (just like with any brand). Especially the current ones.
    Most of the horror stories come from the first 2 years of production.
    Most Bugs made are not lemons. And if they are, it's nothing "nobody can't fix"...
    When one exploits cheap labor markets, there is tendency to hire inexperienced individuals, who are not trained and this will reflect in the overall vehicle quality, especially during first few years of production. This does not mean that well trained and properly motivated workers in any country will not produce a quality vehicle if adequate quality control is being practised during the entire manufacturing process, including the parts used. I am not a racist and never was one. VW has sold me a lemon in the past and I lost a lot of money on it. They never fixed the car and lied through their teeth to avoid having to repurchase the vehicle. And they showed utter incompetence as far as ability to fix the problems with the vehicle.

By the way, all US market Jettas, except for the wagon are made in Mexico (Jetta wagon is made in Germany), and Golf is made in Brazil. Tuareg and R32 are made in Slovakia. Passat, Eurovan, and Phaeton are made in Germany.