Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rug1000rug1000 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently in the market for an '05 camry LE. The dealership I went to for a test drive gave me an internet quote of $18,888 - $700 rebate = $18,188 (only optional accessory are floor mats). That's without TTL. From what I read on the board, that is not the greatest deal compared to what people are getting elsewhere. Has anybody had experience buying in the madison area and suggestions on where I should look and what price I should be looking for. I do have ability to travel to chicago area as I heard i may get better deals there, but have no idea where to look.

Thanks for your help!
  • wowoweewowowee Member Posts: 1
    I bought a STD Camry in Virginia Beach for $15,700 out the door. It was advertised for $14,888(now its $14,444!). (dealer invoice is over $17k, so don't know how they are selling them at that price).This included a $399 processing fee, taxes, tags, lic, and freight and the $750 rebate (which just went to $1250! Southeastern region). The only difference between the STD and the LE is full size spare, remote keyless entry, color coordinated mirrors, power driver's seat, and the tires are Goodyear Integrity (vice Continentals on the Std, which receives a higher rating anyway on tirerack.com). I had Integrity's on my Town & Country and they are comparable on traction and stopping. I also heard the Std has a different 5spd automatic transmission than the rest. Don't know if this is true or not. The LE is being advertised for $16,333. I couldn't see the extra 2 grand for the LE, unless a power seat is really wanted. I have 550 miles on it so far, and any chance I get I give my wife an excuse to drive it. The four cyl engine has plenty of power for me, and I grew up believing 8 cyl was the only way. We bought the car mainly due to reliability, the gas mileage is good on the highway. I got 22 mpg all city driving. I've only filled it up once and still have 1/2 tank left, so hard to get an average mpg result. The steering wheel controls are good (just wish they included a mute button). Also wish the exterior mirrors folded in. Overall, very happy with it.
  • philiphili Member Posts: 19
    I bought an 05 Camry LE recently in the Milwaukee area. The price I got was a bit lower than your quote (would be about 17800-17900 versus your 18188). The best quote I got was Wilde Toyota (wildetoyota.com). They say in their ad midwest's largest toyota dealer. They would be a straight shot down 94 from Madison, then a bit south. Closer than Chicago. ;) BTW I ended up getting my Camry from a different dealer that was closer to my home but matched the wilde toyota quote.

Phil
  • redsoxnumbroneredsoxnumbrone Member Posts: 4
    O.K. I'm looking for a 05 camry SE 4cyl automatic. I'm also getting vehicle stability control, rear spoiler and aluminum wheels. The MSRP is 22,990 and the invoice is $20,385. I don't think there's any rebate at this time in my area, but if I were to buy now, what should I shoot for?

EJ :shades:
  • peter15peter15 Member Posts: 1
    I'm told by a dealer in Peabody MA that Toyota does not ship '05 Camry LE's with stability control and head/side airbags to this region (Boston's North Shore). Is there anyone who can confirm or deny that claim? If it's true, how far do I have to travel to get a '05 Camry LE with these features???

Thanks in advance. :confuse:
  • as75as75 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all
    This is my first post on the forum. Thanks for all contributions and to Edmunds.com too.

I have a quote for a Camry SE V6 in the bay area as follows:
    - Side air bags
    - JBL AM FM Stereo / Cass / 6 CD changer with 8 spk
    - Rear spoiler
    - Carpet floor /trunk mat
    - (SE comes with moon roof / auto)
    - Cloth interior.
    - NO leather / NO premium / NO XM radio / NO NAV / NO Vehicle stability control or traction control.

The quoted price is $21900 after applying the rebate ($1000).
    TTL + doc fees extra.

Is this okay? Or can I do better? Any response appreciated, TIA..
  • as75as75 Member Posts: 4
    I checked with dealers in the bay area, and they confirmed that there are no 4Cyl camrys with the VSC package in their stock. Apparently, Toyota ships all their 4 Cyls (LE / SE) without this package. And this package is not dealer installable. It is installed only in the factory on select V6 models (LE / SE / XLE). Even then it is not standard, and it is only on select stocks.

I checked with Carsdirect.com and they said that the options listed in the pricing/configurator page are not standard. And if we select an option not offered by Toyota in the region, they would not be able to give that option to us.

I guess, those who want Traction control as a package must special order it. And wait probably 1-2 or 3 months???

At least honda offers Traction control as standard on all V6. VSC is standard on EX 4 cyl and upwards, I think.

-A.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    Carmax has few new cars in SE or XLE with side and curtain airbag. I am not sure about stability control. Just ask them. I was in the same boat and I could not find any car like that in my area.

I think some dealer order either LE or XLE (I-4) with VSC.
  • camrypopcamrypop Member Posts: 43
    Ken,

Wow, great advice--exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Question for the board. Which trustworthy dealerships that offer great deals do you recommend in the southeast region?

Rice in NC? Sandy Springs in atlanta?

Thanks
    happycamry

I am a newbie and wondering what precautions should I go abt taking when buying out of state? I should be getting an OTD price by fax or email correct? Do I specifically ask for a "buyers order"? I know silly question but just trying to make sure I cover all my bases.

thanks.
    That is an amazing price. Which dealership in VA? What do they have for an STD w/ auto and side/curtain? What's their cost for dealer installed leather?

damn, u got a great deal.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Does anyone know how long yet they will continue to manufacture the 2005 Camry and/or the date of the changeover to the 2006?
    What changes, if any, will we see for the 2006 Camry?
  • capillarycapillary Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to get a camry LE automatic with side airbags for 19000$ OTD? Here, the tax is only 3%.
    yes i would like to know too. one dealer told me late aug for the arrivals of the new 06's.
    have u tried Rice Toyota in greensboro?
  • bigbucks1959bigbucks1959 Member Posts: 27
    Darn that is a great price..I myself do not need all the bells and whistles on the le or se and I want a 4cyl..Auto or manual is fine for me. It may be worth the drive from Pittsburgh to grab one.

Phil K.
    I bought a STD Camry in Virginia Beach for $15,700 out the door. It was advertised for $14,888(now its $14,444!). (dealer invoice is over $17k, so don't know how they are selling them at that price).This included a $399 processing fee, taxes, tags, lic, and freight and the $750 rebate (which just went to $1250! Southeastern region). The only difference between the STD and the LE is full size spare, remote keyless entry, color coordinated mirrors, power driver's seat, and the tires are Goodyear Integrity (vice Continentals on the Std, which receives a higher rating anyway on tirerack.com). I had Integrity's on my Town & Country and they are comparable on traction and stopping. I also heard the Std has a different 5spd automatic transmission than the rest. Don't know if this is true or not. The LE is being advertised for $16,333. I couldn't see the extra 2 grand for the LE, unless a power seat is really wanted. I have 550 miles on it so far, and any chance I get I give my wife an excuse to drive it. The four cyl engine has plenty of power for me, and I grew up believing 8 cyl was the only way. We bought the car mainly due to reliability, the gas mileage is good on the highway. I got 22 mpg all city driving. I've only filled it up once and still have 1/2 tank left, so hard to get an average mpg result. The steering wheel controls are good (just wish they included a mute button). Also wish the exterior mirrors folded in. Overall, very happy with it.
  • ray_paray_pa Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I just got LE+side airbags for $18820.00 OTD in PA. Here tax is 6%.
  • bearriverbearriver Member Posts: 5
    HI, I just bought a 2005 Toyota Camry LE with side airbag for $ 17950 OTD in Maryland. The tax is 5%. The price is after 1000 toyota rebate and 400 college student case back. Is it a good deal?

I bought the car in 355 darcars toyota in Rockville MD. I also visited Darcars Silverspring. However, Most of cars in Silverspring Darcars have scratch, and the sales person always tried to sell me the scratch cars. The manager and the salespersons in Silverspring Darcars are also so rude. They are always trying to trick me.
    yeah i'm still waiting to hear more abt this.. was this charles baker or checkered flag in VA beach?
  • phillyboyphillyboy Member Posts: 5
    i am looking at a camry LE with side air bags. can anyone tell me how good dealer installed leather is and what is a fair price to pay
  • oink2uoink2u Member Posts: 3
    Just to follow up. I told my friend about our purchase @ Toyota of Plano, and they went to Toyota of Richardson about a week ago. They got offered a Camry LE for $18,200 OTD!!! Only difference is that it didn't include mats (so no options at all). Hope someone finds this useful.

(PS, our buying experience wasn't PERFECT, cuz our salesman's manager was a complete moron. I almost walked out on HIM, but felt sorry for our salesman... :P)
  • nohasslenohassle Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to buy a 2002 or 2003 Camry with about 35 to 40K miles. When looking up the prices at Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds, there are 3 prices given: trade-in, private party and retail values.

Since most of the cars on autotrader are dealers, could somebody advise me on the following:
    1. Is it possible to get close to private party or say, $400 over trade-in value from a dealer, or should I expect to get no better than retail value?
    2. Is it possible to speak with the fleet manager at a dealership to get a better price? (I read recently in newspaper article that car-buying service for busy folks use this tactic.)
    3. Have other folks used the service here on Edmunds that allows you to solicit quotes from dealers? If so, how well does that work?

Thanks in advance.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    i have the same questions myself all the time. when you go to Kelley or Edmunds, they will show you the trade-in, private party and retail.

My opinion is "depends on where you buy the car and what model" When buy it from dealer, it costs them to get the car clean or fixed before they put it out for sale and of course I understand they need to make money too.

People try to sell their cars themself because they KNOW they will get less when trade-in to a new car so they want to sell the cars as private parties. (they want more but we as a buyer want to pay less).

02, 03 Camry are everywhere and still a lot of people like it so it's the kind of model that dealer love to have in their lot compare to other not so popular brand. you probably won't able to get it for $400 over trade-in. If I were you, I will try $1000-$2000 under private party quote when buying from dealer.

One thing, I never believe the fleet manager will get you a better deal or when using the internet, they always say Internet price only (when you need to bring a print out). Come on, they all work for the same dealer.
  • postdogpostdog Member Posts: 1
    I sent an email to Toyota of Richardson and told them a guy got an offer at $18,200 OTD for Camry LE (no mats). I am interested in this. But the sales man email me back and asking the person 's name for searching the record. How I can do? Thanks
    Camrypop,
    Did you ever hear anything about where in Virginia Beach that bigbucks1959 claims to have gotten a 2005 Camry STD for OTD about 15700? Reckon he was telling a tale?
  • starfish1995starfish1995 Member Posts: 4
    Beariver,

Just want to clarify that your OTD price including tax for a new 2005 LE Camry with side airbags form 355 Darcars Toyota in Rockville was $17,950.

Is that correct?

If so it seems you got the best deal I have seen on a new Toyota Camry with side airbags.

Thanks!

Beth
    I've read of varying discounts and incentives from Toyota depending on the region. Does anybody know of any online source to find out various regional discounts on Camrys? (I'm thinking if the differences total up to $1000 including tax savings, it may be worth a one-way airfare to buy from another region.)
  • jintjint Member Posts: 2
    A quick question regarding $400 graduate rebate:

Toyota requires buyer to finance through their service to be qualified for $400 graduate rebate, what if I pay it off early (say one or two months later)? Is there any penalty fee or risk on losing $400 later on? Thanks!
    I am wondering what the best out the door price anyone has gotten on a new Camry with side curtain airbags? We are inthe market for one of these and I would like to get an idea of the best price around. Thanks much!
  • oink2uoink2u Member Posts: 3
    This is what I was told (according to Toyota of Plano):

You must finance with Toyota. Your name must be on the title/lease. The minimum amount you can finance is $5000. Payoff cannot occur earlier than 90 days from date of purchase, but after that, there is no penalty nor fee for paying it off early.

We borrowed $5000 & are planning to pay it off ASAP :)
  • jintjint Member Posts: 2
    Well, my dealer told me that I have to borrow $10K and the minimum term is 6MO. I guess they're playing trick on us. :). Thanks for your information!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    To qualify for the College Grad Program Rebate, you do need to finance a portion of the purchase through Toyota Financial Services. However, they do no penalize you for pre-payment. So you can finance $5,000 and when you get your first statement, pay the full ballance off at that time.

Ken
    Hi,

Can you tell me what dealer in PA you got this price from? Thanks, I am in PA too.

Beth
  • jammikejammike Member Posts: 38
    Beth,
    the deal beariver got involved $1000 toyota rebate compared to $750 in Northeast
    and $1500 in South East. Secondly Beariver also got the College rebate of $400.

You can check their internet prices at darcars.com.
    jammike,

Thanks for that info. I did not realize that there were regional differences in the rebates. Do you know if her price also included tax, title, etc. In other words was her out the door price really $17950 for a new 2005 LE with side curtain airbags?

Thank you,

Beth
    hey nohassle,

no, never heard from the guy(it was woweee tht made the claim). hope he checks back here soon. i think i am just going to contact all va beach dealerships to see if it was the real deal.

u can use carsdirect.com or toyota.com to find the varying regional rebates. for example, in TN and KY, the rebate is 700 for all camrys. in GA and NC i believe, the rebate is 1000 for LEs and 1500 for standards. all r in the southeast so go figure. it does seem to be worthwhile to look at other states, esp if you're in the mkt for a standard, which i have now convinced myself that there really is no reason to buy an LE, as other posters here have pointed out. My target for a standard w/ AT trans and side/curtain is around $16.5k before ttl.

I just hope toyota doesn't raise their prices as their ceo/prez hinted to a cple times in the past few weeks.
    Camrypop,

Thanks for confirming those regional rebates. If you find out the name of the dealer in Va Beach, I'd appreciate you passing it on.

I've gone through the research/homework drill here in Chicago, following Edmunds 10-step buying procedure (Great site). I've gotten bids from several local dealerships. Then yesterday the Chicago Tribune newspaper comes out and the car ads contain a full color spread for Grossinger City Toyota. They offer an STD for 15,795. Their best quote (which matched bid from best competitor on the LE was 17,796). So with an 8.75% sales tax in Chicago, IL (GASP!!!), that's an almost $2200 difference between LE and STD. So now I'm trying to find all the significant differences between LE and STD.

I read in a previous post that the LE has following features over STD:

1. full-sized spare
    2. Keyless entry
    3. Color-coordinated mirrors
    4. Power drivers seat
    5. Better quality tires
    6. Some question about different transmission?
    7. Certainly wider color selection with LE

Can you (or anyone else), confirm, dispute or add to that list?

I don't care about any of those things except my wife loves the idea of keyless entry. I don't care too much about the colors, but the STD colors are not to my liking (Hate the current fashion of black, charcoal, taupe, olive drab that seem to appear everywhere from house siding to car colors. Reflects the malaise in the country?)

By the way, it was interesting that the rebate on the LE and STD were different in my region, with LE rebate of 700 and STD rebate of 540. So I don't know how this Grossinger dealership can go as low as 15, 795 on the STD. (This is a large reputable dealership, BTW).
    Camrypop,
    UPDATE: the $15795 price I wrote about in the previous post is for an STD with manual transmission.

Also went to toyota.com to find out the differences between STD and LE models. Did not see anything related to transmission differences.
    thanks for the info nohassle.

I checked out the specs btwn the 2 and everything you listed is correct(except for the transmission; like u said, couldn't find anything abt there being a diff either). I like the keyless entry too but $2k ain't worth it. I just tell myself that it is one less electrical problem that i won't have to deal with in the future. And yeah, full size spare, matching outside mirrors, power adjusted driver's seat, salsa red color option, blah blah blah who cares.

Get this. I went to the dealership the other day and the salesperson told me the STD did not have ABS. He then shows me the 05 camry brochure and right there in print it confirms his statement. The other salesppl also confirm this. Checking on toyota.com I find that this is not the case. The brochure was printed in '04 and apparently Toyota added the option later in the yr. And even better, when I 1st mentioned the STD, the sales guy told me that the LE was the standard and there was nothing below this. So basically the LE is hype with a lot of nice margin. It seems the sales ppl don't want to deal with STD. I wonder if it'll be hard to locate a std w/ auto trans and side/curtain? Wonder if anybody has bought such a car, b/c it seems that most who buy STD's r buying them w/ no additional options. Also seems like all the great deals r on barebone STDs, to get them off the lot or to get ppl to come to the dealership in the 1st place--a marketing gimmick..
    This is what a salesguy from Rice Toyota in Greensboro NC just told me. Any info? Toyota.com clearly shows this as an option.
  • bearriverbearriver Member Posts: 5
    HI, Beth,

I bougth a 2005 Toyota Camry LE with side airbag. My price $17950 is OUT The Door Price including 5% MD tax and TTL and 100 documentation processing fee. The Toyota cash back in atlantic area is 1000. I also got 400 graduate student cash back.

Bearriver
  • mikej1543mikej1543 Member Posts: 13
    Hi:

I'm looking to help my Mother in Law locate the best deal on a Camry LE lease. She lives in southern, NH, within 30 miles of the Mass border, so we can go to Mass dealers if necessary.

Anyone have any hot leads?

Thanks
    MIKEJ
    more info from Rice Toyota:

"Side Curtain Airbags might be a factory option for the STANDARD
    model Camry but no dealer in the Southeast ( Florida, Georgia, Alabama,
    South and North Carolina ) has one or has one coming in."

Salesman also said, ""Almost all of the protection in a side impact comes from the side door impact beams which are excellent in the Camry. So no need for the [side] airbags."

2 car "experts" i talked too insisted that side/curtain airbags were essential:

"Side impact beams provide protection for the occupant 'cage' inside the car, but doesn't protect the occupants themselves.
    Imagine this: If an SUV collided with a Camry, yes the side impact beams would take most of the impact but there may still be protrusions through the windows and also the sheetmetal on the door may also crumple and protrude into the cabin.
    That's where side airbags / head airbags come into play and protect the occupants of the car from coming into contact with these protrusions.
    In short, yes side / head airbags save lives. I consider them to be much more useful than frontal airbags."

So I am sold on side/curtain bags. Now, if STD's w/ side/curtain are not available in the SE region, where do I have to go to get one? Any suggestions? STD is almost $2000 less than a similar config'd LE, w/ minimal loss in features.

I still haven't decided whether to wait a few mnths for the new '06s to come out. Should be arriving in aug?
    First, when the STD Camry first was introduced, it did NOT have ABS as standard equipment and none were being built with it. That did change in the middle of the year, so there may still be some that don't have ABS on dealer lots. It also does not have keyless entry or power driver's seat as standard equipment. The outside mirrors are also not color keyed. As for the side and side-curtain airbags, from what I can see, I don't see any area of the country that has the STD Camry with them available. They built the STD to be a price-point vehicle and to load it up with options, even ones that are popular such as the curtain airbags is counter to what they are trying to accomplish with the model. You could attempt to "order" one, but at this time of the year you probably will end up with an '06 with the accompanying increase in price, and loss of any incentives they have on the '05 models. Also don't hold your breath on how long it will take (upwards of 6mos in some cases and in some cases, Toyota just won't produce that particular vehicle). Hope this helps.

Ken
  • xykwxykw Member Posts: 6
    they are an option
    An option, as toyotaken has said, at a MSRP of $186.00.
    Thnaks for the info.

When i told the dealer that a diff dealer in another state was selling STD w/ ABS, they told me they were "confused" and that no STD'c come with ABS. What a bunch of crap.

Btw, if anyone is interested, the dealer with the not-so-honest salesppl is Beaman Toyota in Nashville. I urge everyone to stay away

I guess I'm going to wait for the 06's to come out and see if there is a drop in the 05 LE's. Also, hopefully Toyota makes side/curtain stnd on all 06 camrys.

I read here that waaayy back in sept 04, someone bought a 05 auto LE for $16270 before ttl in socal. also around the same time some socal dealers were selling 04 auto LE's for $15800-16100. Jump almost a yr later and dealers r quoting me $17800 for the same thing???? forgettaboutit.
    I would like to say something in defense of car dealers. It is almost impossible for every salesman to know exactly what comes standard on every make and model and what is an option on a particular make and model. Honda and Acura are much simpler when it comes to standard equipment because a particular model does not really have any options. So please do not be so critical of Toyota salesman because Toyota makes it difficult for them especially when they change standard/optional equipment in the middle of the model year. We here are auto nuts but not every car salesman is. I know, they should be as familiar with their product as possible, but it is difficult. I feel the prospective buyer should try to get as much information as they can and not solely rely on the car salesman. Does Toyota USA notify every dealer when they change standard/optional equipment on a particular model? Maybe one of the regulars can answer that. If so, does every salesman get notified of the change by the GM? Please be patient with car salesman; just my .02.
  • hw99hw99 Member Posts: 7
    Is $19750 (before $ 750Rebates,Tax) good for LE 4Cyl 5A + Moonroof & Side Airbag?

Is there any suggestion for the dealers in connecticut?

Thanks!