Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bill_ac_njbill_ac_nj Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i would really appreciate any advice on locating a Camry LE, auto, moonroof, color silver.
    i live in south NJ but would go to PA or north jersey to buy. IS THERE A DATABASE OF CARS THAT DEALERS HAVE ???? AND how do i access that without going to 300 dealer sites and looking for. IS THERE A CAR LOCATOR SERVICE - I would even pay a fee for help. A dealer said it one is out there and he could get it for a fee. i would rather find out where it is and go there if within driving distance. my girlfriend totally her Solara and i really need help buying this car. she would consider an SE or XLE with same above options - HELP thanks, bill
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Just visit ONE dealer -- they all have access to the database, but Toyota is certainly not going to sell it to you.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Check out a different dealership, the one you visited doesnt deserve your business. If your only requirements are Sliver, LE, auto, moonroof... this seems like a very typical model. Its one option on the most popular Camry trim line, in the most popular Camry color.

~alpha
  • johnnjjohnnj Member Posts: 14
    I purchased mine in Cherry Hill and the dealer has their inventory online....Maybe Check websites for local dealers..

John
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Unfortunately Toyota Dealers do not list what they have in stock they only list what is available to their area.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    What was the MSRP of that model you got for $20,500 Out the Door?

I'm in the Bay Area and here, the lowest LE model with auto is 21,279 MSRP with mats.

So they're quoting about $19,190, which is supposedly about $500 over invoice. The OTD price would be over 21,800.

What is the sales tax where you bought it?

Was this a straight sale or did it include a trade in?

Thanks in advance.
  • yawnalot29yawnalot29 Member Posts: 23
    Hi wco81,

A standard 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 4 cyc, automatic, Titanium Metallic, mats. No other options added. The MSRP is $20500 (also my OTD price with all the fees and tax and etc). With optional equipment (CF) and destination charge, the MSRP is $21279.

The sales tax for Orange County is about 7.75%.

You can go to DMV site and use their Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator which would include any local tax you might need to pay.

https://vrir.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

I was originally trading in, but we couldn't agreed on trade-in value. I negotiated them seperatly to get the most value out of both. I ended up selling my car privately for about $1000 more then what the dealer were willing buy it for (with no change to purchase price).

One of the dealer did tell me that while they can't offer ">link titlemore for the trade in, they CAN sell the Camry for cheaper. However, their price was not as good as the OTD $20500.

I find this article on Edmunds particularly helpful:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Maybe that will shed some light for you.

:shades:
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Hey you guys are confusing the issue by including TAX, TAGS, and LICENSE(TT+L) in your statements of "out the door" pricing. In order to compare pricing state by state you should only include model, freight, and documentation in the OTD cost.
    Remember that the cheapest Camry is a CE, sometimes called a BASE Camry by dealers.
  • percyypercyy Member Posts: 2
    tankmaster,

Which dealer will offer you the best deal?
    Well I asked for OTD price because someone posted one from the same state I'm in.

But in a lot of cases, you can't compare state to state prices anyways, since dealers in different states probably operate differently.
  • rinkrink Member Posts: 3
    http://www.domesticsale.com/autodealers allows search for dealers within 150 miles of any zip. Lists in order of distance. Click individual dealer site, click search new vehicles, find model sought, shows vehicles by 'in stock' or available (from another dealer in area).
    I think asking for the total OTD price makes sense for comparison for people in the same state or same or near by (like Los Angeles and San Diego) metropolitan area.

Comparing across the country and different state doesn't really make much sense to me. Like martinf indicated previously in his post, he could not get any of the Los Angeles area dealer to budge on the price. I had similar experience. So in that case, it is helpful to know the total OTD.

Just my 2 cents.

:)
  • bulumaomaobulumaomao Member Posts: 2
    Dear yawnalot29:

Thanks for your reply. But I'm a little bit confused. Did you pay $20500 for everything or $21279 for everything? Thank you very much for your help!
    I paid $20500.00 Not a cent more. $20500.00 covers EVERYTHING. That's my idea of "Out The Door" price.

The $21279 is the MSRP printed on the window sticker.

Let me re-answer your question.

The MSRP price for the car I paid $20500 OTD was $21279

Hope this is more clear.

• maryann1752maryann1752 Member Posts: 12
    I need some help. I'm thinking about ordering an XLE Camry with pretty much all the options. I spoke with an Salesperson by phone yesterday about ordering. When I ask if I would be able to get the car close to invoice price she told me no. Is this true when ordering? Thanks for any help on this.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Read these forums from the start or use the Search button.
  • tankmastertankmaster Member Posts: 20
    Not clear at all. Forget your so called out the door price. Just list what you paid for the itself, nothing else. Fees/taxes vary from state to state.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    You're talking to the wrong sales person. You definitely can order a Camry at a very competitive price. My red XLE V6, with everything but Nav. was ordered at a price of $27,675. exclusive of SC Sales Tax & tag.

That salesman just wants a quick ommission, rather than waiting to get paid when the car is delivered.

Incidentally, I was quoted 10-12 weeks for delivery; and it looks like It's going to take that long. But it's worth the wait to get exactly what I want.
    Why? Did you wanted to come down to California and buy a car? :)

Honestly, I have no idea what the purchase price you are looking for is. When I went to the dealers, I work with OTD price as different dealer charges different amount for different kind of fees. They all have different kinds of fees and they all charge differently. All I care about is how much I have to pay at the end. Read message 3148 and you'll see what I mean all kinds of "weird" fees charged by dealer to boost their profit.

thetxstang, "Toyota Camry: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #3148, 23 May 2006 9:59 pm

All I am saying is that the dealer might agree on a ridiculous low price to make you think you got a good price and then make up the profit with all kinds of bogus fee. And in the end, you end up paying more.

To answer your question, let me go dig out my sale contract and see if I can look it up here......

[rummaging through my stack of paper]

[reading through this sheet of paper that is literally 2 feet long]

Since I have no idea what the actual price is, I'll give you a list of all the price on my sale contract and what the dealer is calling that price. And you can just add up the # to get what you are looking for:

Cash Price of Motor Vehicle and Accessories - $18799.78
    Cash Price Vehicle - $18799.78

Cash Price Accessories - N/A (but I did get the $186 CF option, so maybe I got that for free? Or maybe it's included in the cash price vehicle? Then in which case, the price is really $18613.78? Who knows. I don't.)

Doc Fee: $45
    Sales Tax: $1460.47 (7.75% for Orange County, CA)
    License Fees: $186.00
    California Tire Fees: $8.75

Total Cash Price - $20305.25

$20500 = $18799.78 + $45 + $1460.47 + $186 + $8.75

Pick whichever # combination you think is what you are looking for.

There are a total of 33 boxes for various kinds of fees and most of it are filled in N/A. I have a feeling that if I were working with "sales price" with the dealer, a lot more of these boxes would be filled in like those described in message 3148 (adds up to be around $2251 in fees).

Is this now more clear? :)
    hi Tankmaster,

In the end, what it comes down to is this: I just refuse to battle with the dealer, F/I guys for hours and question every item they charge me. All I care is the total price I am going to pay, and I will let the dealer decide how they want to divy up the pie.

I know the OTD price doesn't help you if you are not in the area, but I don't know if my purchase price will help you much either as I didn't negotiate on the sales price.

I am fairly sure I could have talked the sales guy into recording the sale as $17999.78 for the car, and $800 for Toyota Advertising Fee, Toyota Marketing Fee, and car wash fee :) . (read message 3148)

:shades:
    ps. maybe this might help. Of the 10+ dealers I talked to locally, only 2 dealers were able to give me the $20500 OTD price. The rest of them didn't even bother to try. And 3 of them told me out right that I should just buy it from the dealer that's offering that price.

:P
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    I was offered 19500 for a 07 Camry LE 4cyc Auto with Sunroof package, in New England. 500 below invoice according to the dealer.
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I know this post is old, but I just had a question about the extended warranties from Toyota...

How picky are they about the maintenance history of the vehicle when you file a claim against these warranties?

In other words, if all you ever do is get the oil changed every 3000 miles, will they deny the claim if you didn't get the recommended scheduled maintenance done?\

Thanks
  • jesoonsterjesoonster Member Posts: 3
    Hello guys. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask this question....'

I'm interested in purchasing a 2006 or 2007 camry LE (4cyl) and I'm having a hard time deciding which to choose. I use my car for a long period of time (pretty much for 10ish years) and it makes more sense in that case to purchase the cheaper one. I know b/c of the model change recently that the 2006 camrys are being cleared out at low prices. I know that the design, size, and the engire HP have been revamped in the newer model...but can you justify the 2007 purchase for any other reasons? I know that the 2006 model had an incentive that lasted until May (1kish), but it is no longer there. Do you think it's likely to pay a higher price now then when the incentive was around? I just have a hard time believing that I would be paying a higher price now when the new 2007s are out.....

I'm trying to get a 2006 around less than or equal to 1500 under invoice....is this a bit unrealistic? Thanks in advance.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    You better find one at a dealer first.

You won't know 'til you try.
  • chang_brucechang_bruce Member Posts: 2
    :) Take a look 07 sale in Taiwan
    They are much nicer than US model.
    However, top model equip with all goodies
    will cost you $45500. You can buy a Lexus with that
  • tankmastertankmaster Member Posts: 20
    Ramzey28,

Not bad. Finally someone in NE is getting very close to the deal I got on an LE with no roof. Where did you get that offer from? Also, what was the doc fee? The dealer who I am working with has a $198 Doc fee and NO other fees. My deal even includes delivery to the MV in my state where I meet them and we register the car. I am paying the MV fees so that the dealer doesn't get to jack those up either. I am located in a different state than the dealer.

Still, nobody on this forum has been able ot beat my price on the base LE. You guys need to sharpen your pencils or, if you are in NE, work with the people i did and you win.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Boch in Norwood, Ma. I think their doc fee is the same. Ira keeps advertising a CE auto for 16390(in grad rebate of 500.00) but I keep thinking that's a loss leader but they have advertised it for over 2 months now, same price with different stock numbers. Invoice for a CE Auto is about 18k ish.
  • zzz2006zzz2006 Member Posts: 25
    Can you provide dealer contact info? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    If you're only interested in the 4cyl, I'd look hard for a '06. The main reasons the '07's are attractive is the substantial increase in horsepower & the 6sp auto. But since both only apply to the V6, if you can find an '06 for well under invoice, that would probably be the smart move. The only other reasons I can think of to go for the '07 is the bluetooth & mp3, and for a little over $100, you can buy a earpiece bluetooth and an adapter for your mp3 player for the '06.
  • miaowumiaowu Member Posts: 1
    David,

I want to know the price you paid too.
  • ttn85ttn85 Member Posts: 1
    I bought it July/05, initially thought I had a good deal, but after reading through tips from edmunds, I think I made a horrible mistake, what do you guys think? (it was my first car purchase, and I made the mistake of not researching).

MSPR was around $21,500.00, and tax was $1,600.00

I didn't need a down payment (I suppose the tax was essentially a down payment), and the loan was financed at 0% APR for 60 months. I also received a 5 year/100k warranty package without charge (which I'll never have to use because it's a CAMRY). My monthly payment is $355.00.

I'm pretty sure that I got screwed pretty badly, since the invoice for the Camry LE is $17,491...
    :(
  • jayfayjayfay Member Posts: 9
    I ordered a XLE 2007 Camry V6 with all options including Nav. for the price of $28,300.
  • thetxstangthetxstang Member Posts: 28
    That's very good. I purchased the same 2007 Camry XLE V6 with every option including Nav,. for $28,639. That was $200 over the invoice I was shown.

Did you get to see the invoice on your car? If so, how much was the invoice? Also, how did you negotiate on your car?
  • pradhan_tusharpradhan_tushar Member Posts: 15
    Anybody has any rcent experience buying a TCH in SF bay area ? Any chance of getting one below MSRP ?
    Hi, everyone,

I am from NYC looking for a 2006/07 camry LE with 4cyl and 5speed auto transmission (just base modle, no option).
    I called a bunch of dealer around my erea. The prices I was offered vary from $19800 to $20500, without T/TL. Is it possible to get a quote below invoice these days? Thanks in advance.
  • jkyu99jkyu99 Member Posts: 1
    I just got one in Los Angeles at MSRP. Longo Toyota. Twenty minutes away, another dealer wanted $2000 over MSRP. I put down a phone deposit 6/4 and got a call they had one for me just two days later. Took delivery 6/10. Two hours in and out. :)
    The invoice they showed me was $27,500. Before I went to the Dealership I was dealing with an online salesperson who after a couple of weeks e-mailed the $28,300 price. So I printed that out and took it to the dealership. I did not deal with the person who sent me the online price, but they said they had to honor that price even though the management was not happy that the person had sent me that quote online. He said because the car is such a hot seller they usually would not sell it at that low price.
  • maryann1752maryann1752 Member Posts: 12
    I just called over the phone. I guess I will need to go up there. When ordering do I print out the info from Edmunds and take up there with me? Also, do I ask them to print out their invoice for the car?

Thanks,
    Mary
  • franklin6franklin6 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought the 2007 Camry SE 4 cyl. with Sunroof, Spoiler and Mats in the blue ribbon metallic with the black interior...paid $21,818 before taxes and stuff...is that a good price? It was quoted at $500 over invoice. Bought the car in Southern CA at Longo.
    Thanks!
  • jesoonsterjesoonster Member Posts: 3
    Hey Jaydoll. I'm assuming the price your posted price of 18600$ includes EVERYTHING (doc, destination fees) except T/T/L fees?
  • prbqpprbqp Member Posts: 5
    I live in South Jersey as well. If I may ask, what was the selling price they quoted you? I am being offered $19,593...and have no idea if that is a good deal or not. It's way over the dealer's invoice, but I am told that because this car is pretty hot right now, it is what it is...so there may be little room to haggle.

There aren't many of them on the lots to check out.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    but I am told that because this car is pretty hot right now, it is what it is...so there may be little room to haggle.

There aren't many of them on the lots to check out.

Patience will pay off significantly if you're interested in a model that is "standard" (reading non-hybrid). Toyota will make 400,000+ of these and they WILL hit the lots and they WILL be discounted.
    If they were selling the Edsel, car dealers would say it's hot.

But since the 2007 Camry is relatively new, in a few months, you should be able to get discounts.

First quote I got from one dealer was 19,191. So 19,500 doesn't sound that great.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    If you can get something at $500 over invoice I would think at this time that would be a good deal. Edmunds can tell you what the invoice is.
    Got an offer from another state.

2007 Camry LE /Auto with mats

$18900 + $268 doc. fees and Tax and MV fees.

Tankmaster, I need your advice on how to get a great deal on 2007 camry too. ;)
  • eric2006eric2006 Member Posts: 8
    jaydoll paid $18600 for everything except doc($198) and TTL. Your price is not very bad.
    I went to the same dealer-IRA toyota at danvers who sold the car to jaydoll. Though I called a few times to confirm the 18600 price, today the same guy just turned me down. He said he could offer the same price even I had referral and confirmation from him before.
    It is always good to have a price quote in print to take with you. You can also take any invoice price you have found. Print that out also and take to show to them. It is always good to let them know that you have already educated yourself to what the price should be. If they don't give you the price you want, then you can leave and go to another dealer.
    If ordering from out of state is an option for you, I got my 2007 Camry LE / Auto with mats (4 cyc) for $18799.78 + $45 doc fee + tax + DMV fees about 10 days ago.

I got it at Tustin Toyota in California (http://www.tustintoyota.com)