Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The dealers are correct. This Camry with abs, side/curtain airbags, JBL upgrade stereo and the floor mat package in my area lists for $21,712.00 (MSRP) Invoice $19,717.00. I think the quotes you are getting are including the rebate or $18,900.00, $18,700.00. It is a good deal considering Camrys are not distressed merchandise end of the year or not. Just buy the car and enjoy it.

: )
                        Mackabee
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    Checked TMV at edmunds.com for 03 LE V6 5SP Automatic with options such as Moonroof, Carpet/mat sets and Jbl 3in1 Prem Combo. Inv price is 21345.00 and TMV is 20880. Dealer can only offer 21265, afer 1000 rebate the price is to be 20265. Is this a fine price for this type of car? I live in NY. Thanks!

One dealer never heard of 800 cash rebate given to them by MFG. But why edmunds.com posted that info on their website?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Isnt always the most accurate for new car pricing.
    try carsdirect.com.
    ~alpha
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    i have the 03 le v6 and paid 20700 (before any fees) for it with carpets and jbl radio, with the rebate you're getting it under invoice I think that is a good price
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    I assmue you paid 20700 with carpets and jbl, but without moonroof, right? Moonroof costs 720, so if adding it the price should be 21420. Mine is 21265 before the 1000 of rebate, the difference is 155. I think your deal was good too. When did you buy the car? I was told that if you bought the 2003 car in 2002, the price should be 1000 more, which is equal to the rebate I am getting. So does this rebate really mean something? I wonder...
  • sagmansagman Member Posts: 11
    Just picked up a 2003 XLE V6. Kept the deal clean--no trade, cash.

Options: GU, HD, HU, CF.

Dealer invoice included the options above and Destination Fee and TDA. Of course, the unmentionable holdback and reserve numbers are buried in there, too.

So, I paid $200 over dealer invoice. Total: $26,039. With the $1000 rebate: $25, 039. Add 6% sales tax, registration fee ($77), and conveyance fee ($89), and the OTD price was $26, 707.

I don't feel I was gouged. The salesman has a right to make a living and the dealer must make a profit to stay in business. I don't fight the TDA battle any more. I figure, if you win on this, they'll get you somewhere else to make up. Even with the holdback and reserve built in, I thought the $200 over invoice was reasonable for this highly rated car. And I got exactly the options I wanted, the color I wanted, and mileage under 10. All in all, a good experience.

Oh, I had sent out ten internet inquiries to local dealers and got four responses to my request for specific information and OTD prices. The value of this approach was that when the purchase was done, I felt that I had done as well as I could have.
  • marisleidamarisleida Member Posts: 1
    I am debating whether to buy 97 XLE V6 with 117,346 miles. It has leather interior and it’s fully equipped. The offering price is $7,000, but my question to you all is, do you think it has a lot of miles for the price? Is the price compatible with the mileage or should I forget about it and look for a better deal elsewhere?
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    at 117k, from what i heard on a local mechanic on camry, it is probably due for or things to look out for: timing belt, spark plugs(v6 need to take apart the entire engine to replace 3 spark plugs in at the back, unless mechanic has small hands) , axials, power steering pump, valve cover gasket, battery, and maybe transmission.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    Yes the 20,700 price did not include moonroof, before the $500 rebate it was actually 21,200, I bought it in May
    the dealer located the car, it actually had extras like the cargo net, 1st aid kid, trunk mat and simulated birds eye maple dash
    I'm glad I don't go to your mechanic. At 120k miles a timing belt is due. The exhaust manifold cover needs to be removed to replace the 3 spark plugs in the back, not the engine. Power steering pump? I doubt it. New transmission ? Definitely not. The car may have miles higher than normal but if it has been well maintained (regular oil changes, and scheduled maintenance) it should run for another 200k miles.
                       Mackabee
  • mdenunzmdenunz Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm new to this site. I'm looking for your experience on getting internet pricing. I've been looking for an '03 Camry XLE, and for the end of the year, you'd think the dealers would be a little more flexible than I'm finding. Is the Camry an impossible car to get haggle-room for?
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Not sure what part of the country you are in or what you mean by "impossible car to get haggle-room for".

I am in SE and bought a 4 cyl xle in June for about $300 below edmunds invoice price plus a $1000 rebate to me + TTL.

You did not provide alot of info about a specific car you are looking for. I know a v6 will be harder to negotiate than a 4cyl. In my area the 4 cyl were being discounted $900 more than a comparable v6. Just the supply and demand thing.

Most LE ads that I have seen are near invoice or a little below plus a $1000 rebate in my area. I have seen ads as much as $1700 below invoice (this includes the $1000 rebate)on LE in Fl.

Dealers only have so much room to lower the price, unless there is a factory to dealer incentive. The edmunds invoice price is pretty much what the dealer pays excluding some fees such as SET or TDA. So if your XLE is invoicing at 20K and there is no other factory money, the dealer cannot just decide to have a 20% off sale to move the cars, he would lose alot of money. He can try to sell at cost just to move them, but anything less is a loss to him.
    Excellent explanation!
                         /: )
                         Mackabee
  • masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    Would $600 below invoice (before factoring in incentives) be a good price for a 2003 this late in the model year? It's an XLE with the Premium Plus Package and a couple of other options.

The only incentive apparently available in my area on an XLE is 0% financing.

Or should I consider the '04 instead?

Thanks for any info.
  • pschradpschrad Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2003 LE, ABS, & floormats for $18712 - $1000 rebate = $17712. We came prepared with edmunds.com TMV and some other internet info. The dealer looked over the TMV ($18779) and was able to get the color we wanted and delivered to us in 48 hours. The whole "haggling" process took about 30 minutes w/o any hijinks from the dealer.

Now the Camry has to do the job of giving us many years of trouble free and comfort miles.

This website and discussion group info helped immensely.
  • aggie92aggie92 Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 Camry has gone thru 3 IAC valves in 3 years. When this goes out the Camry does not idle when cold and stalls once your foots comes off the gas. These are very expensive and Toyota is telling me it is my fault for using the wrong gasoline. IN Southern California, how do I find a gasoline without MTBEs? North County Toyota in Orange County has their service manager lying about the problem on my car. He is say it was replaced twice free of charge( a lie) and that his mechanic was wrong in saying he has never seen this valve go out twice. Here is a copy of the letter I sent to the dealership.

Gerry,

My name is xxxxxxxxx and I am writing to express my extreme displeasure with the way I was treated by you per a phone conversation with Laura(a customer relations rep at Toyota corporate). I own a 1997 Camry. In 2001 my IAC valve went out and Toyota refused to fix it under warranty as my car was 1 month out of warranty. 13 months later the same part went out again and I brought my car to your dealership to be fixed. Toyota covered the replacement this time. From talking with the service writer and mechanic, they told me the original IAC valave had issues but the redesign was good and they had never seen the redesigned part go out like mine did. Well here it is 13 months later and my third IAC valve went out. I brought it to your dealership to be fixed and also called Toyota Corp to cover the repair. Per Laura you stated you had already replaced my IAC valve twice at no cost to me. This was a complete LIE as I already stated I had to pay for the first one myself and it was replaced in San Diego at Kearney Mesa Toyota. You also stated per Laura that the mechanic did not know what he was talking about and that the IAC valve going out was common. Who is lying to the customer, you or your employees???

I just got a new job paying well into 6 figures. Due to this I can finally buy a Mini-van. I was seriously going to buy a Sienna, but after all the lies from your dealership as well as from Toyota corp, my mind is made up and I will buy an Odyssey. I have a 1991 Acura Integra. I have spent twice as much on fixing my 1997 Camry than I have my 1991 Integra. There definitely seems to be a problem. The only thing Toyota has helped me on is making my decision on which Mini-van to buy.

I do not know how Toyota stays in business this way. I thought the customer is always 'right' not a liar. I definitely will not be doing business with Toyota any longer and will definitely steer all my acquaintances away from Toyota and your dealership. In addition, this email will be posted on various websites such as Edmunds.com trying to tell people the truth about Toyota.
    Did you buy the 97 Camry new? How many miles on the car? It is possible the mechanics may have diagnosed the problem incorrectly. IAC valves tend to go out around 120-130k miles on Camrys. I'd like the hear the other side of the story also before we start condemning Toyota dealers on a public website.
                      Mackabee
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What is an IAC valve?
         I agree with Mac. On this forum we never get to hear "the other side of the story". We do not mean to belittle you but why do you think Toyota should pay for repairs after the warranty expires?
         Toyotas are one of the very best vehicles made but that does not mean that everything on them is made by using the absolute best-made parts. The cost would be prohibitive and they would not sell them in this competitive world we live in. Toyota has to compete with prices that are close to the competition.
  • aggie92aggie92 Member Posts: 2
    The other side of the story. Is that besides the dealership outright lying to me? Toyota corporate told me that the problem is due to the MTBEs in the fuel I am using. I was told by the Toyota Engineer to start buying fuel without MTBEs. Fine. This is exactly like saying buy Coke without any water. It cannot be done in California. Their answer is that the MTBE is messing up my valve and it is not their fault. I would think they would design around what is in the fuel. What if Camrys had no CV boots. Could Toyota say that it is not their problem there is dirt on the road so they will not buy me a new CV joint? They admoit their IAC valve has an issue, but until enough people complain, they wil do nothing about it. I am a CPA and it makes business sense. Losing a few customers is better than fixing the problem. That is fine, but do not say we care about customers then. In answer to other questions, yes my car was new and the dealsership has still not responded to my letter. I also thought Toyota was number 1. Not anymore.
    An IAC valve is an idle air control valve. When these go the car begins to idle rough and then stops. It usually happens at the most inopportune moments too. On my wife's Camry it started happening after the car was started in the morning and on her way to work after exiting the express way or freeway the car's tachometer needle would start fluttering and the car would just die. It would re-start after a few attempts but is something that had to be fixed immediately.

Aggie, have you called Toyota Customer Assistance Center in Torrance California? They will resolve the problem for you. Their phone number is 1-800-331-4331. Explain in detail what your complaint is. They will contact the dealer to resolve the problem or they may suggest you take the car to a different dealer to get the problem resolved, but they will resolve the problem. Dealers don't like getting the assistance center getting involved in their affairs.
                    Mackabee
    What are MTBE's? Regardless, an IAC valve should fail that soon. As I stated before, they last 120-130k miles as per personal experience and also one of our master technicians verified this for me.
                        Mackabee
  • dogbarking2000dogbarking2000 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my 03 Camry LE Auto for a drive out price of $17500(everything inclued) in Atlanta area. This price includes a $400 new graduate rebate and a $1250 rebate from Toyota.

But I got a wired question: when the dealer checked my credit score, it's only 687. However, it was 772 from my TransUnion credit report two weeks ago. So any tricks with the dealer's score?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    mackabee-

MTBEs are fuel additives that are supposed to decrease air pollution, but it turns out that they increase water pollution when they leak from the underground tanks. Oops. The EPA (or probably CARB in this case) has their hearts in the right place, but not always their brains :-)

-Andrew L
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Perhaps you Toyota was just a lemon? Would there not be an uproar in Southern CA from Tiyita dealers? I am confused?
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    MTBE is going to be phase out and replaced by ethanol in california. Actually the major oil companies and pipeline companies have already started the process of replacing MTBE by ethanol.
  • fryingbolognafryingbologna Member Posts: 85
    Sorry if it has been a topic here before, but it is important for Canadian buyers to know:

Toyota Access Pricing court decision

Please let others know on the Toyota boards if they are Canadian and are looking to purchase various Toyota models.
  • qibbleqibble Member Posts: 26
    I also have the same problem with the IAC. I was told by my dealer that the valve was "sticking" due to "deposits". My problem started around 40,000 miles and even though I had an extended warranty it wasn't covered. So I've been driving with this problem ever since. The way I get around this problem is to keep my foot on the gas pedal while the car is warming. I give it a little gas and keep the rpm's around 1500. After a few minutes the idler will dislodge, I guess, and the car would then run normally.
  • jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Hi,

I was just offered a 03 Le auto with ABS and the upgraded JBL audio (retail of $21132) for $17600. So, did your camry that you paid $17500 come with ABS?

Thanks,

J
  • tchtcltchtcl Member Posts: 2
    Hi, kernat:

You said :

Prices I paid for an LE Automatic w ABS Brakes, upgraded Radio + mats in Mass area $17,599 + 5% tax + $95 processing fee + tag/title + emissions check ($120 in all). MSRP was $21,134, invoice $19,067, manufacturer $1000 off + dealer $468 (max dealer discount was $654, but off higher price)

I am in Boston. These days, the best quote I got is at $17699. Could you please tell me which dealer you got your car? I may go there for a 2003 Camry LE. Thanks in advance.
  • aweifeifeiaweifeifei Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I just purchased a Camry LE (2.4L 4cyl 4A) with ABS.
    Price: 18200-1000(rebate)=17200, with 3.7% APR.
    I showed the salesperson one post which has the price $16,995, and was told they could do that one week ago but not now. And they offered $17,200 with 3.7%. This website and your posts helps a lot.

Regards

F
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Any idea about the life of the front ends on the Camrys or Solaras? I heard the service advisor telling somone with a Solara, body style 1999-2000 that they go at that many miles but I didnt hear what milage. Any suggestions on the planned life of the front end??
  • tchtcltchtcl Member Posts: 2
    aweifeifei:

I just purchased a Camry LE (2.4L 4cyl 4A) with ABS.
    Price: 18200-1000(rebate)=17200, with 3.7% APR.
    I showed the salesperson one post which has the price $16,995, and was told they could do that one week ago but not now. And they offered $17,200 with 3.7%. This website and your posts helps a lot.

Does your Camry have JBL? And which dealer did you get it from in NJ? Maybe I will go there for one.
    Thanks
  • aweifeifeiaweifeifei Member Posts: 2
    Tchtcl,
    What is JBL? The Camry I bought is a standard LE with ABS option.
    The dealer is DCH Brunswick Toyota.

Good luck!

aweifeifei
    JBL is James B. Lansing, an american pioneer in recording studio speakers. They are a "High end" speaker manufacturer now. Mostly recording studio and professional applications. In the Camry, the JBL stereo upgrade gives you bass,midrange, and treble controls for the audio, and 8 speakers in 6 locations. The Camry with the standard stereo system has only 6 speakers and audio controls for bass and treble only.
                            Mackabee
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major magazine is looking to interview people who have recently considered buying a Chrysler, but ended up in a Toyota. If you fit the bill, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, September 12 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Today I bought a 2004 Camry XLE from a Phoenix dealer, using the internet and the telephone, for "invoice". The dealer's "invoice" is about $500 higher than Edmunds "invoice" and about $600 below Edmunds TMV. A painless experience.
  • rk47rk47 Member Posts: 5
    2 days ago I bought from CarsDirect:
    2003 Camry SE(2.4L 4cyl) auto/sunroof/16" alum wheels/4 wheel ABS/spoiler/mats

Price: 18483(after $1000 rebate) + tax + license + $45 doc fee + $5 misc fee. Financed at 4.39% APR

Bought it before I discover this msg board. After watching all posts I think I should've solicit more internet dealer quotes. Maybe I could get lower.

Mackabee:in Aug you said both rebate & low rate fi can be offered simultaneously. Is it still true now in mid Sept? I was told they can't right here, and 2.9% can only be up to 36 month loan.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I think you did good with $19.4K (before the cash back). I bought my SE 4 (auto)with the same equipments for $20388 back in June. I took the 0% APR. If I take the $750 cash back, it would cost me $19638.
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Hi, I am from eastcoast(NJ) and it's very difficult to locate SE manual(4 cyl). All I want is no option with manual, but most dealer don't carry them. I searched through most dealers in NJ, yet one dealer said, he can bring in from other state at 23000!!! What a crazy price during clearance sale season. Anyway, does anybody know what/how I can find SE with manual?
  • kernatkernat Member Posts: 5
    Tchtcl:

Acton Toyota thru actontoyota.com
    i bought my SE stick at the time the dealer (eastern pa) has only 2 instock, not many color to choose from. More than 6 months later, the other one still hasn't left the dealer lot. i guess there is not a high demand, and they have to come here by boat from Asia.
    the average msrp is indeed around $23,000 after TDA
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Bronzemaxell,
    Can you tell me the name of dealership or link? After researching Camry for a month, most manual tranny Camry are built in Japan. I think it must be better than US built one.
    not sure how update are the info on the link
    http://www.sloaneautos.com/frameset2.asp?MAIN=new_vehicle_search

do a search on toyota camry se
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Hello Rcf8000,

Can you please provide us with more information on the Camry 04 XLE that you purchased on September 11. Is Edmunds really reputabile, I found their prices to be crazy low. We are looking to get an 04 SE V6 Camry loaded. Would you say Edmunds TMV pricing is on the money or are their prices off? When I looked into with Edmunds TMV pricing we did well, the pricing we are getting is below Edmunds TMV by a few hundred dollars. Edmunds TMV is about 600.00 less than our best price found. What's your feeling?

Thanks Alot.
  • layer3switchlayer3switch Member Posts: 14
    Hi Folks,

Can anyone suggest what is considerd a good price on a 2003 Camry XLE with Premium Package? Looking at the 4cyl and 6cyl models. I would most likely buy the car in CT or NJ.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    L3
  • nirav2nirav2 Member Posts: 3
    On August 21st I purchased a 2003 Camry LE with ABS, Side Curtain AirBags, Night Vision Mirror w/Compass, Security System and 5Pc. Floor Mats for $18,600 + TTL in Dallas, Texas
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
  • goodguyinctgoodguyinct Member Posts: 2
    On 9/24/03 I bought a 2003 Camry LE with automatic, ABS, JBL upgrade (code DJ) and floor mat set (code CF) from a dealer in Western Massachusetts. Price data was as follows:
    MSRP: $21,134 Invoice: $19,133.
    My price:$17,983 (including $1000 cash rebate). Plus 6% CT tax, $76 registration / title, and $175 dealer conveyance fee. Grand total "out the door" was $19,313. I was quoted a price of $17,500 from a dealer in the Boston area (2 hours away), but the extra costs of unpaid time off work, gas, tolls, handling the registration myself with state of CT DMV all but wiped out the extra savings. I estimate that my dealer made a profit of about $540 (or about 3%, not including the obvious extra profit of the dealer conveyance fees) which is less than the 5% dealers normally try to make. I shopped on the internet and via phone follow ups... which I felt saved me tons of BS. Once they knew I was seriously shopping and knew the numbers, it cut down on virtually all the sales hype. The worst price I was quoted was $19,079 (versus the low of $17,500)... quite a difference! Hope this helps.
  • westseattlewestseattle Member Posts: 1
    Need to buy a 03 4cyl camry with no accessories.
    (with no accessories am i missing some obvious needs? or getting a real barebones car?)
    buying gift my elderly father. Went and test drove today.
    Should I email all local dealers for best price?
    what are others in Seattle area buying for compared to TMV price? Any suggestions on other
    online resources? what happens if i wait past end of Sept? lots of questions...hahah...thanks for any answers. Dan
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I got a price of $22840 for an XLE with Premium, air bag option, and mats, in Phoenix. Unexpectedly, when I went to pick up the car they also added on $249 for "Perma-Plate". The price was still less than Edmunds TMV, but I'm not happy about the add-on; seems like a scam to me.
    I can't figure out how Edmunds could have an accurate TMV on car models that have just come on the market, or, in some cases, where the cars haven't even arrived at the dealerships yet.