Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Purpose of car will include vacationing in all kinds of terrain. Even though I would like to save gas, would I be better off in the long run buying a conventional engine?"

Did you look at the trunk size of the hybrid vs. the regular Camry? If you are vacationing (and use the back seats), the hybrid may not have enough cargo room back there... :surprise:
  • stryker2stryker2 Member Posts: 7
    I just negotiated a deal for a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with Leather, Nav, Sunroof, Mats and the CQ Heated Seats/Mirrors package plus installed Sirius antenna for $28,512. Fees included $379 Doc fee, $3.00 warranty rights fee and $16.50 for the title. The total out the door price was $28,910. Since I'm out of state, I will pay tax upon delivery in my home state (Alabama).

Negotiating in the Southeast is tough due to the SET costs.

Edmunds gives this car an invoice price of $28,640, an MSRP of $31,433 and a TMV of $30,877. Consumer Reports does not include SET costs and gives a "bottom line price" of $27,349, a Dealer invoice price of $27,873 and a MSRP of $31,378.

What do you think folks - was this a good deal?
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    No sirius antenna - link title
  • adam61adam61 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to buy a new 2007 Toyota Camry LE 4-cyl Automatic. Only upgrade I really want is the aluminum wheels, and carpet mats I guess since they mostly come with that. I'm paying with cash and don't have a trade. My local dealership has two choices as follows...

2007 Camry LE Magnetic Grey (with Alum Wheels, Carpet Mats) MSRP $22,298 Edmunds Invoice $19,845 (Not in stock available in Dealer Pool)

2007 Camry LE Black (with Alum Wheels, Carpet Mats, and Cargo Net) MSRP $22,547 Edmunds Invoice $19,879 (In Stock, why is the cargo net adding $249??)

Does having it in stock vs. in the pool make a big difference?

My local dealership has a pretty bad overall reputation of taking advantage of you anyway they can, but they are pretty decent about negotiating. I just want an idea what a very solid, but attainable, price should be for these. And on top of that price (besides TT&L) what fees are acceptable? Thanks for your help I just want to try and be prepared going in especially with the reputation these guys have. Thanks!

Quick Update: I got a quote on the Black one for $21,300 after some back and forth which seems quite high but the salesperson is standing firm saying it's already over $1250 off MSRP.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    what area of the country are you in? You can check online at www.fitzmall.com to understand very competitive no haggle offers on the east coast.
  • adam61adam61 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Northeast Texas, Fitzmall seems to be doing $300-500 under invoice. I'm over $1,500 away from that on my quote. How effective is it to bring that into the conversation? And if my dealerships here really were just too high how practical is it (or even possible) to buy from Fitzmall and just have it delivered?
    Well it's very useful to understand exactly what other dealers are willing to sell the car for. Kinda eliminates any mis-leading (hows that for being politically correct) statements the local dealer might make relative to their vehicle cost. Dealers need to make a profit to stay in business and you need to contribute your fair share to the local community, you just don't want to be gouged. In my case I'm 4 hours and have business travel across the street from Fitzmall every quarter, so I could easily purchase there and drive home. I know others have even flown in, spent a couple days doing DC sightseeing, picked up the car, and drove home. Won't be long cherry blossoms are out!

I doubt that the local dealer in Texas would consider Fitzmall's prices as a competitive threat to their offer, so if you bring it up during negotiations, you should be willing to walk and do it if need be.

In my case the local dealer matched Fitzmall's price so I bought local, but I like Fitz's online business model...very upfront, fair, no-haggle. I've stopped by to check out the lot, and they really do have a storefront and legitimate business. I also know a number of business associates and even a family member that has bought there over the years.

If you can't get local dealers to negotiate on the particular model you want, you can also consider buying just a regular LE, and buy an additional complete set of custom wheels and tires. Ebay your originals. Some areas of the countries the dealers are selling standard base LE's at rockbottom prices.
  • astrocarastrocar Member Posts: 2
    Yes, you can get the car shipped. Call Fitzmall, they will give you all the details. We're out-of-state, and just bought our THC from them. However, we picked it up and drove home. They were a pleasure to work with, and in my opinion, set the standards for how a dealership should do business. Made us feel good about buying a car from them.
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    Well, I love this vehicle and am and have been testing the price waters. At the end of last month I was having no problems getting invoice, and even a few hundred below. This is for the car + freight; no fees, TTL, or other stuff was included in the quotes I got..

Then mid March the prices shot up to about 4-500 over invoice. Now they appear to be back at invoice and I sure you could go a bit lower ... again.

This is encouraging to be able to buy this excellent vehicle at this low price. I won't be in a position to buy until a few months from now, so I'm hoping this situation will either remain as is, or maybe even get better.
    FYI for all you Capitol area shoppers out there.

And yes, Fitzmall is a great place to establish a price point.
  • rbeckertrbeckert Member Posts: 2
    Last week I contacted 3 dealers through cars.com. I also contacted http://www.fitzmall.com and asked for a price on a Magnetic Gray Metallic Camry Hybrid, cloth Ash interior and the following options:

(FE) 50 STATE EMISSIONS
    (HM) HEATED MIRRORS
    (SR) PWR TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF
    (CF) 5-PIECE CARPETED FLOOR & TRUNK MAT SET

The sticker price was $27989.00. I pick up the car next Tuesday for $26,028 plus my area sales tax, document fee and title fee.

Fitz had a better price but I would have to fly into Dulles or BWI airports, take the Supper Shuttle van to their door ($37, the last time I checked) and drive the car home. If I flew in on a Saturday morning, I could be home that night for dinner. The flight was ± $400.00 and the hassle of driving (400 miles)and getting the car registerd in my state was too much.

The whole experience from requesting prices to signing for the car was 48 hours!

Good luck.
  • jptpajptpa Member Posts: 11
    Got an internet quote for a Camry CE with alloy wheels of 18,900. out the door 20,650.00. We have a 7.0% Sales Tax here in FLA. Can you guys advice if this is a good price?

Thanks for all your help!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Is it automatic or stick? See my message #4950.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    What do you think folks - was this a good deal?

It seems like a good deal to me... any price BELOW the estimate Edmunds invoice on this apparently popular car would be a good deal. If I read your post correctly, the selling price of the car was about $100 below invoice... not bad.
  • youmeyoume Member Posts: 11
    I just drove home with White camry LE 2.4 auto for 19600 out the door from Power Toyota of Irvine in California. The price is 17977 plus TTL. Any color i want.

http://www.powertoyotairvine.com/index.cfm?domainhostid=50295&language=english&
    Automatic
  • ecgz88ecgz88 Member Posts: 14
    I'm thinking to buy through Costco, WA dealer offer me $650 over invoice for LE or 500 below MSRP for Hybrid, anybody can share their experience in WA?
    Costco is an ok source for people who want to expend no effort, have no negotiation skills or have money to throw away. Beating Costco price is a no-brainer.

I bought a year ago at $300 over invoice. If I bought now it would be at Edmunds invoice price for a regular Camry.

See this site link title for Hybrid pricing.

I have quotes in my hand for a Mazda CX-9 right now. My lowest price is over $1,000 under Costco - all from local dealers.

Go back and read this forum from a year ago.
  • hybrid4mehybrid4me Member Posts: 8
    Our 50th anniverary is coming in Blizzard Pearl :shades: White next week (so we will still qualify for the $1300 Tax credit because our delivery will be prior to March 31st.). It came with the satellite antenna and the remote starter already installed as options, also. Please keep in mind that the inital allocation is one per Toyota dealer and then a "lottery" style allocation for a few others. This is an extremely rare version of the hybrid Camry, so if you want one, I would not wait until summer. Everything about it separates it from the crowd, the wheels, the mats, the badging, the paint, the stainless steel dash applique. Our interior color is listed as Oak, but the brochure says it will be bisque heated leather seats. The resale value should be higher on this one, also, being as rare as it is. They should be arriving any time now, call your dealer NOW if you want one. I would expect to pay close to sticker for it if the dealer realizes what it is (ours is $33500, but we did not pay anywhere near sticker). What a beautiful car, which is also available in a green pearl, also.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The resale value should be higher on this one, also, being as rare as it is.

If the average person pays more for the 50th than a normal TCH then the effect of lesser depreciation on it will be a "wash" financially.

I'm not too sure many people consider a hybrid a collectable anyway. Typically to economically justify them a hybrid has to be a high milage driven car. Not too many cars with 100,000 miles (other than a 63 Vette) would be very collectable.

All that aside, it will be a nice ride and I certainly would consider one if I were still in the market.
  • lindsay4lindsay4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi-First time car buyer here. Want to buy a 2007 Camry LE as is (4DR/standard 4-CYL engine). MSRP at dealership in northern VA: 21,794. They will sell it to me for 19,794. Does this seem reasonable? Based on what I've read so far, this seems fair. Any thoughts appreciated.
  • kenkokokenkoko Member Posts: 5
    i just bought my 2007 Camry LE 4cyl
    MSRP is 21,794 ( standard equipement, plus carpet)
    sale price is 17988
    Out the door price ( with 8.25% California tax) = 19,720

This is from Wondries Toyota in Southern California
    If anyone wants the sales person's name, email me

the buying experience was execellent :)
  • lindsay4lindsay4 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, just like this one. Thanks for the fitzmall tip! It sounds like I'm in the ballpark. Now it's dealing with trade-in and the rest to walk out the door with something I'm comfortable with. Thanks!
  • hybrid4mehybrid4me Member Posts: 8
    When fuel is around $6.00 a gallon, ALL hybrids will become collectables :) The additional cost is about $1000, but I see the paint alone a reason for a higher resale. The blizzard pearl paint is stunning these vehicles come loaded with standard features.
  • ansariansari Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I leased toyota camry yesterday march 17,2007 for 300.39 per month
    I paid upfront $ 1000.72 (Includes Capitalized cost reduction = $ 500 ;+ First monthly payment 300.39 + Title fee $ 65 + Registeration fees $ 78 + Doc fee to dealer 57.33 ),

Total lease term payment = 10814
    Residual paymnet =$ 12794.75
    Gross Capitalized Cost of vehicle is 21237.00 ( value of vehicle is $ 19375.00 + $ 1312 taxes + $ 550 Acquisition fee).

If some body has better than this lease let me know. Keep in mind it is according to Illinois , will county rules and regulations)
  • 2007toyota2007toyota Member Posts: 9
    Who as the best deals in Atlanta for an LE?
    How many miles per year allowed, how many months of payments, what was the MSRP on the window?
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    And, what model and what options?

Things like these are important to list so we get an accurate description.
    The base was price was $18,250 including the SET fee of $595. What is this SET fee that applied only for the South East? Is this a good price for the central Florida area?
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I just bought one too in Florida. I will post some photos in my carspace page.

I think that I would have received a much better deal, but I liked the blizzard pearl paint.

I am keeping a mileage log, and will post results. Hopefully, I won't need to buy gas too often. :)

If you check out a 5oth Anniversay Edition, check to see that the CD-Changer works. The added metallic trim actually prevents my changer from opening! :sick: You would think that they would check these things. I imagine this is an easy fix.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    If you check out a 5oth Anniversay Edition, check to see that the CD-Changer works. The added metallic trim actually prevents my changer from opening!

This says a lot about the "new" Toyota quality controls...when they don't even take the precaution of making sure their anniversary status car is completely fail safe. :(

Just makes me all the more happy that I didn't trade in my perfect '95 Camry for a new one. :)

Maybe next year. :shades:
    Just makes me all the more happy that I didn't trade in my perfect '95 Camry for a new one

WoW, if a small piece of trim would keep you from trading I'd advise you to take real good care of that 95 Camry. I don't think anyone will make what you're looking for.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    For some of us it's the small details that can make or break a sale. Let's be honest, who wants to buy a new car and then have to return to the service department within a short period of time to get some things "adjusted"? I'd not be very happy and to be honest, this should of been rectified when they PDI'd the car in the 1st place. Wouldn't be a deal breaker but would be very annoying.
    And one last thing, it's the little things that most people get annoyed with.

The Sandman :)
  • titaniummdtitaniummd Member Posts: 5
    I was actually in the market for an Avalon LTD loaded with everything and I had the price down to $500 under invoice. After driving it, aside from the serious acceleration, it didn't really thrill me.

I saw the 50th Anniversary TCH and was sold on the drive. It cost about $4750 less than what I was about to drop on the Avalon.

I paid $2300 less than sticker.
  • jbriskojbrisko Member Posts: 9
    I recently bought a TCH fully loaded,
    1) Navigation system/Bluetooth
    2) leather and heated seats,
    3) Heated mirrors,
    4) Driver passenger power seats,
    5) Power roof,
    6) alloy wheels.
    sticker price was $31,007 .after much bargain they sold it to me for $27000. Extended warranty for 6 years 100,000 miles on non hybrid and hybrid parts that are not covered under Toyota standard warranty(Bumper to Bumper) cost me additional $700. Do you guys think this is a good price?. Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks for your valuable time and input.
    I think this is a really, really good deal. Congratulations!!!! I would snap that deal up in a heartbeat. Which dealerhip was that? (It's ok to name dealerships, just not salespeople names.)

Also, did a trade in influence that price? The salesperson may have lowballed your trade in value to give you a better price on the new TCH, but I am purely speculating on this.

Thank you for your input. It's very helpful. I've received quote-request emails from dealerships that say you can't find these cars, and that if you do, no one is going to give you an invoice, or better, price. Rubbish! :shades:
  • jbriskojbrisko Member Posts: 9
    It was Route 22 toyota. I was paid a KBB value for good condition on my trade.
    Eight new listed on EBAY now,

link title
  • snertlingsnertling Member Posts: 2
    I traded my 2004 Avalon XLS on a Camry 50th Anniversary Edition eight days ago. In the first 1500 miles, primarily highway, I have received 41 mpg.

I got Edmunds fair market value + $500 for my trade-in and Edmunds fair market value - $500 for the purchase. The car had arrived three hours before I bought it and the salesman did not realize it was the only one the dealership would get.

Of the five Toyota's I have owned (all Camrys or Avalons) I am sure this will be my favorite.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Since a trade was involved there is no way to determine if it was a good deal or not.... What really matters is that you are happy with the deal.
    That is true, and we also don't know what he traded. That said, he got "KBB good condition" on it. Around here, about all you get quoted are Blackbook wholesale prices, unless you have a very hot car. So it seems to me our Jersey friend did a VERY good job on his purchase.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    This is an extremely rare version of the hybrid Camry, so if you want one, I would not wait until summer.

I see your point; however, the lease on my current vehicle won't be up until September... so, I don't see acquiring another vehicle until August (at the earliest). I may actually wait until the end of the year (November or December), to get an overall better deal; I may very well miss out on the 50th ann. version of the TCH.
  • honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    What are Blackbook wholesale prices?

KBB allows you to choose between "Trade-In", "Retail", and "Private Party". I assume when he said he got KBB good condition, he was talking about the "Trade-In" category of KBB, which essentially is wholesale. Should/does that really differ much from Blackbook wholesale prices?

The KBB trade in quotes are already quite a bit below the NADA trade in value for the car. Are you saying Blackbook wholesale prices are even a notch below that?
    Yes. I have definitely found KBB prices to be higher than Blackbook. Blackbook, I believe, is derived from actual auction prices for similar vehicles.

My understanding of NADA is that it is used primarily to determine loan amounts by lending institutions. So it can be quite a bit higher than KBB. It's not necesarily a car's WORTH.

Not sure if this is making sense, but I believe Blackbook is the rock bottom price you will get for a given vehicle and is often what a dealer will give you on a trade in It's a price he knows he can get at auction if he can't sell your car on his lot. It's a way for the dealer to trim his loses if he can't move it on his lot. Think safety valve.

A common trick around here is for dealers to advertise that they will give you KBB for your trade, then when you come in, it's strickly Blackbook.

Here's a real life example: a few years back I traded a one year old truck. KBB was about 28k or 29k for it. This was when gas prices started to skyrocket. Now, who wants to buy a truck in those times, although you could counter-argue, as I did, that most people who buy trucks don't do so for GAS MILEAGE. Now, that aside, all I could ever get was an auction price for my truck, about 8 or 9K LESS than KBB. Even at carmax. So there's a case where the BB value was the "true" market value of the vehicle. (I sold it private and took much less of a beating.)

I hope this helps. I'm no expert in this field and I'm not in the business. Just another joe-shopper here with an opinion!

Thank you.
  • pbhagatpbhagat Member Posts: 8
    Dealer 1: $17,988 (no choice of colors, need to take one that is given)
    Dealer 2: $18,619 ($18,097 for CE)
    Dealer 3: $18,488
    All the prices include destination charge.

Are these good prices? If not, how much room do I have for negotiations? I'm in Los Angeles area. Thanks.
    Those are great prices, from what I can gather the west coast has the most competitive prices.....should be happy with any of those.
  • razer01razer01 Member Posts: 9
    I know that toward the end of the year the prices on the 07 Camry will be lower but will the prices start declining as early as Summer?
  • kenkokokenkoko Member Posts: 5
    Dealer 1 has pretty great price. i got mine for 17988 too

but he let me pick my color

which dealership did u go to? i went to wondries in alhambra
    So there's a case where the BB value was the "true" market value of the vehicle. (I sold it private and took much less of a beating.)

There is where we buy into the propraganda the dealers spew. "True" Market value of a vehicle is what the market is paying, not a "fire sale" auction price. The fact that someone paid you more indicates that Market Price is higher than the BB value. Sure a dealer has to make money but if a dealer had your truck on the lot, then their exposure would have been even more than your and they probably would have gotten even more than what you did. The used car market is a whole lot more lucrative than the new car market.

Auction Pricing should not be considered Market Value. Granted a dealer will say why should I give you more than what I can go out and buy at an auction? Good argument? However if he wants to sell me a new car then consider it an incentive to get my business. Also, who really wants to buy a car from the auction. There has to be a reason it's sold at an auction. Might not always be a bad one, but typically it's something that didn't move previously so is there a "history" with it?
    You make some very valid points. Actually, my main point above was to point out the shiftiness of the dealers around here who point you to KBB and others places to "evaluate" your trade, then they sock you with a BB value during the actual buying process. It's just more of the same game from self described enlightened car dealers. Bull.

PS, I will stop with this thread since it's way off topic for thie DG.