Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    Today I offered $20,500 OTD (including everything) with 0% interest for 36 months and I felt the salesman agreed but I didn't buy because I want to try the 2009 Honda Accord first. It is a better deal than getting the $1000 rebate. I didn't like the dash panel of the Camry. It looks cheap and really doesn't match the interior color. It is stupid for the designers to go backward when they should go forward. The interior quality of the Honda Accord is much better than the Camry. Also, the Camry LE has no satellite radio antenna. It is standard in every 2009 Hyundai Sonata even in the base model!
  • fortigerfortiger Member Posts: 3
    Hi, macno0b,
    I want to buy a 2009 Toyota Camry LE too. I wonder where you buy your car. I appreciate any advice.
    I live at Skokie, IL.
    Thanks
  • manny_37manny_37 Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted a OTD price of 27687.66 with 0% financing for
    2009 Camry XLE 4 CY WITH NAV AND LEATHER INT in Maryland

Is this a good deal? Has anyone bought this model recently? Any feedback would be appreciated
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    you can easily compare prices in Maryland against www.fitzmall.com. You should be able to find a pretty comparable MSRP vehicle.
  • toddantoddan Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if you ended up buying the car and what you ended up paying? What location?
  • pdesai73pdesai73 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Ended up buying an 09 Camry XLE V6 with tint, floor mats, and all XLE options. Smart Key, Sunroof, Bluetooth etc. I got it for $28K drive out with tax, title , license here in Houston at FT BEND TOYOTA !!
  • wenikiweniki Member Posts: 13
    First off I was hoping people could give me some guidance here. I've done a search and it looks like a couple months ago, people have been able to purchase the 2009 LE-V6 for about $22,500-$23,000 drive out (atlanta & cali). Is this something that I should shoot for in Texas? The sales reps here have been very negative about this edmunds forum telling me that people make up prices and sales reps come on here to throw in low prices for fun to try to get people to buy from them. :confuse:

Currently, the best I've been quoted is $24,500 without the $1000 financial incentive. Should I hold out and wait?

Thank you guys! I really look forward to any advice you guys can give.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Please help me. I am going through one of the most unethical behaviors I have ever seen, and after all the price negotiation, the 2009 Camry LE I4 auto I liked would cost $18,600 before tax versus only $17,500 in many other So. Cal. dealers. The reason why it is more because the salesman made all kinds of stories telling me the VIN # starts with J (Japan), and they would need to charge more for it, even though the MSRP is the same in all other Camry LEs. Just because it's Japan doesn't mean a dealer should have the right to charge way above average LE price, when they have several J models in-stock right now. Is it right for a dealer to charge $1,000 more for a basic Camry LE? Or should I threaten the dealer to bring the price down more? This is at Longo Toyota at El Monte, CA. Yeah, yeah, I can't believe they are doing this to a loyal customer. This will be the last time I will do business with them. cry:
    BS....your hunch is right....just move on to a different dealership. Better yet, make them a final offer no BS price of 17.5 (which you indicate you can get from other dealerships), and if they don't take it just walk....and don't look back. If they want to move iron they'll accept your offer, if not, you just saved yourself a grand by buying from a different dealership.
  • manny_37manny_37 Member Posts: 2
    How much below MSRP is a good price to negotiate? Is is true that should alteat take 2 to 3k off the MSRP when negotiatin with the dealers. Wondering if anyone has purchased this model. I saw a posting for OTD price of 28k for V6 model which makes me wonder the my price is higher since it is a V4
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Negotiation should never start with MSRP. Your starting point is invoice + destination.
  • rvs2000rvs2000 Member Posts: 40
    can you tell the dealer name who is offering 2009 Camry LE for 17500?
    can i get 2009 Camry LE in Chicago area for 17500.

Thanks
  • dmcdonnelldmcdonnell Member Posts: 18
    People,

as lucky_777 has already stated, always start from the invoice base price including the invoice price of all the additional options for the actual car you are considering. You can get all that info right here on edmund's. Then subtract all of the dealer incentives including 2-3% holdback off the TOTAL invoice price. Holdback is a built in profit margin provided to the dealer from the factory. They get this additional money from the factory after the car is sold. From this subtotal above, add 3% for dealer profit (they do have to make some money after all). Then subtract the rebate if that applies. Work from this total as a starting point. You are best to set up a spreadsheet to track all of this.

Now from here, a dealer may have additional hidden incentives for doing minimal monthly sales volumes or whatever. Who knows exactly what these are, but it is more likely the larger high volume dealers or those with several dealerships under a comon umbrella will have these incentives. These are not on individual car sales, but volume. If you suspect they do, then figure another 2% for that maybe. These days of course, a dealer may not be getting much from these incentives. As well, a dealer gets a certain percentage of the price of the car to finance the actual purchase of the car by the dealership from the factory and hold it at the dealership for 4-6 weeks. Ie. the cost of the loan to hold that car for the 4-6 weeks is paid by the factory from what I understand. If the dealer sells the car quickly right off the delivery truck, they can pocket that amount.

Finally, in particular areas, dealers may have additional costs for advertising and marketing. Those are all bogus in my opinion and the cost of doing business and in no way should be an explicit itemized cost. They are negotiable. If every dealer in the area charges for it, then they don't have any incentive to negotiate. Your only choice usually is to go out of area to a different dealer.

Any other costs are completely bogus and should not even be factored into your negotiating price. Don't believe any of the BS sales people claim about true costs. They are lying. They want to deceive you and instill doubt. It's called intimidation. Information is power. It makes the saleman's job all that harder. That's why they hate it.

Always negotiate your price based on the above. Costs such as tax, DMV licensing fees, recycling fees, document fees are all fixed costs and can vary locally. These should be added in later for your final price. As well, always negotiate the value of a trade-in separately.

Now having said all that, if you can get a deal based on this info, you should be not be paying more than 3% above invoice not including any rebates. The rebates should take you down to invoice or below. Some people can do even better than this in more competitive areas of the US such as southern CA.

dmcd
    Hooman Toyota of Long Beach, CA is offering new 2009 Camry LEs with automatic every week on Saturday for $17,388. Only five at this price. You will need to drive down to Long Beach, CA and pick up a Press-Telegram Saturday newspaper. Hooman Toyota appears to be selling advertised new Toyotas with the lowest price in the whole Southern California. There was also a 2009 Corolla LE with $4,000 off MSRP. One time, a LE with automatic went for $13,999 two weeks ago, three at this price. None of the other Toyota dealers in southern California will beat or match this price. You will need to be at this dealership prior to opening time as I heard there is always a small line forming every Saturday.
    DMCD - First off THANK YOU! This was extremely helpful. I do have questions though based on everything you wrote. How do we know what dealer incentives are out there??

Also, I know Toyota is doing a $1000 financial rebate or 0% for 36 mos. What's the smartest option? Take the $1000 and finance from someone else? Or take the 0% for 36 mos?

Lastly, any tips on how to get to this desired price? I know to wait till the end of the month, but that's about it. Thanks!
    weniki,

I don't know of any source that will provide you with the hidden dealer incentive info except for rumors and tidbits here and there. Supposedly there are some newsletters you can buy that list some of this stuff but I don't know how thorough they really are. EG. this one: link title. Not too impressed with that one. The november/08 newletter didn't even have the new camry rebates. If you are in a known competitive market such as Southern CA, then these incentives likely exist due to the higher volume of sales.

As for the financing, it depends upon whether you have disposable income to make that choice of course. A dozen or more posts back, I posted an analysis of the rebate vs 0% financing. For me, I chose the 0% financing. Why? Because I know I will be keeping the car for at least 5 years, and it's likely I can make at least 5% or much more on the cash I did not use to buy that camry, especially since the stock market is so down at the moment. The financing offer will likely be worth more as long as you are sure you will own the car for the 36 month term of the loan.

You can get the best price by several methods. I think the easiest one is to use something like carsdirect.com, costco, or some other wholesale broker that sends bids to the dealers. The price you usually end up paying with them is around invoice or a little above. For me, time is money, so I think these services are worth it even if you pay a few hundred dollars above the nes tdeal out there. If you don't like their price, you don't have to accept it, but it will give you a very good idea of the highest price you should pay.

If you want to negotiate with the dealers themselves, bypass the typical sales floor or 'internet sales' person (some dealerships have a dozen 'internet sales' people that are a regular sales person with a different title) and deal directly with the fleet sales manager by calling them to get their name and introduce yourself, explaining you will be buying a vehicle and they will be competing with other dealers in a bidding process. Then send him/her a fax directly, describing the vehicle you want and ask them to bid on it. It's important you address the fax to them directly, as you don't want any joe blow sales guy to pick up your fax. this is the so called 'fax blitz' method. Try to fax as many dealers within your immediate area, then if necessary, expand the group to dealers within 200 miles. Don't even bother going into a dealership unless you enjoy the bantering process and like spending 2hrs at each dealership you consider. Some people are good at this and can get a decent deal, but they will spend hours at the dealership. Try to get a firm price using the fax method before you set foot in a dealership.

Dealers are very hungry at the moment. I still get calls from some of them asking for my business even though I have already bought the car. Waiting for the end of their sales month (whatever date that is) is always good of course. If you want to reason with a sales person at the dealership, make sure you have your spreadsheet which lists all the invoice pricing for all the options since they may not have your exact car. Just keep in mind that even though you may not want one of the options in the car they are offering, you still need to account for the invoice cost of it and add in some sort of profit for the dealer from your calculated base cost. You can explain to the sales person that you are an informed buyer and you are willing to pay invoice cost plus x% profit to the dealer or whatever. If they start questioning your numbers and their validity, stand firm and say they have a certain time to make the deal before you walk away. And be wlling to walk away.

cheers,

dmcd
    DMCD - I can't thank you enough for all the great advice. You're spot on, I refuse to deal at the dealership (too much of a headache) and there's way too many internet sales managers now-a-days. I bought my car in 2004 and it was much easier to deal with the fleet manager back then.

I will take your advice and try all the above tactics starting with carsdirect/costco first.

THANK YOU AGAIN!
    Did that include Nav, vehicle stability, heated seats, glass breakage sensor, etc.? Seems extremely low considering Edmunds invoice is $29,058 with all options below. What is tax in your area?

I'm looking at a loaded XLE V6 for $29,167 + TTL. Can anyone comment if this is a good price? Has the following options:

(VS ) VEHICLE STABILITY & TRACTION CONTROL
    (NV ) NAVIGATION SYSTEM
    (HD ) DRIVER & FRONT PASSENGER HEATED SEATS
    (SK ) SMART KEY SYSTEM
    (CF) CARPET/TRUNK MAT SET
    (EF) REAR BUMPER APPLIQUE
    (V2) VIP Glass Breakage Sensor
    (62) TRUNK TRAY
    WHEEL LOCKS
    (GO) DOOR SILL ENHANCEMENTS
    toddan,

I am paying $27.7K for a similar V6 XLE camry without the V2, 62 or GO options. That includes dest. charge minus the $1K rebate. Invoice on your vehicle is about $28.9K incl. destination, so it's $27.9K minus the $1K rebate. So you should not be paying any more than $28K unless there are other mandatory state fees or some other bogus dealer costs. I'm doing my buy thru carsdirect.com. That's why it is always best for you to get a quote from them or a similar outfit first to determine your max. price.

dmcd
  • loveyoursmileloveyoursmile Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am in bay area and I getting the best price so far for the new 09 Camry SE with EJ/SR options of 22,300 (before rebate) and 0% for 3 years.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good price?

Thanks
    lys
    In Seattle the rebate is only $500 so I'm opting for 0% for 36 months instead. Saves about $2,500 over 3 years at 4.75% (which was my other approved financing).

So based on that, I'm paying about $128 more than you when you add the other 3 options in at invoice. So I guess my deal is good if yours is :-)
    That's interesting toddan. I did not know the toyota rebate offers were different in different regions. Wise choice on the 0% financing. You are correct in that it is worth ~$2.5K for your camry purchase. The higher the cost of the vehicle, the better off you will be with the 0% financing in my opinion. Now go buy some cheap stock and make some money. ;)

dmcd
  • loveyoursmileloveyoursmile Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am in bay area and I getting the best price so far for the new 09 Camry SE with EJ/SR options of 22,300 before ttl and 0% for 3 years.

Can anyone please tell me if this is a good price?

Thanks
    lys
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    It's a free market place. It's not about right or wrong. You always have the choice to say No. There are some people I'm sure who actually would be willing to pay a premium for the "J" in their VIN. However, I'm not aware of any differences in the dealer costs between the two models.

Just because it's Japan doesn't mean a dealer should have the right ...
    They have all the right they want. Again this is a two way transaction.

Or should I threaten the dealer... I assume you don't mean that literally :)

This will be the last time I will do business with them. cry:
    For me, the last time you did business with them would have been the last. Walk away from this (Unless you specifically want a "J" car and can't find it somewhere else)
  • bob30075bob30075 Member Posts: 2
    In the Southeast Toyota Region a pretty basic Camry LE V6 (model 2552) should have a dealer invoice of $23,000 with floor mats. You then have the $1,000 rebate.
    I saw a lot of TTL, what is that?
    TTL is the destination charge which includes shipping from factory and dealer prep. usually about $700 for a camry.

dmcd
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    Ummm... not quite

Tax
    Title
    License

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who have purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. If you have a hybrid, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and what hybrid vehicle you own no later than October 30.
  • kapkanimdkapkanimd Member Posts: 136
    I finally got a deal worked out after a couple of flounders. Got a LE w/ mats and toyoguard (sticker $23,349) for $18770 after $1000 rebate + tax & fees (~$1780) came to $20,651 + tag fee. Overall a pretty good deal which some local dealerships wouldnt even come close to, closest was $18600 +++ with no included option and higher fees... This was in Tampa, FL off of DaleMabry.
  • amehtaamehta Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering what others have paid for a 2009 camry xle (4 cyl) with MSRP of about 26,500 in the greater boston area? westborotoyota.com lists prices on their site which seem very competitive....any gotchas? do you recommend any other dealers west of boston? thx
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like you did get a good deal, the Toyota dealers in my area are notorious for added fees that raise the prices considerably.
    They your choices are to pay the local fees, or travel to a more geographically competitive area. There is usually some cost to travel, so factor that in to your price comparison between the two locations.
    The best deal I was able to get for a new Camry 2009 LE is $20,000 OTD (including 5% tax, document fee, etc.) plus 0% APR for three years. The local dealer wasn't able to match it. His quote is about $22,000.
    That sounds like a good deal, here the LE's are going for $19,795 before TT&L.
  • msayeedmsayeed Member Posts: 3
    I just came back from a dealership in the Boston area. 2009 Camry LE with no extra options. I opted for and qualified for 0% APR for 36 months. They started with and would not budge from $21,116 OTD. I offered $20,500 OTD with 0% APR 36 months, still no luck. Reading all the posts, it looks like people have managed to get much lower than my offer. Anyone here with recent visits to Boston area dealerships. What is your opinion? Is'nt $20,500 OTD a fair price for an LE? (I even compromised on the color because they did not have the blue I wanted)
  • avuuavuu Member Posts: 2
    What's OTD? I was negotiating for a 2009 camry se today and the dealers said they would sell the LE for $18,500 but I think you might be able to get it for $18,000. Check Toyota nashua and Norwood.
    Has anyone from Boston get a 2009 Camry SE lately? How much did you pay for it? Thanks!
  • msayeedmsayeed Member Posts: 3
    Thanks avuu,
    hmmm, $18000 for an LE. That tells me, even my offer was a little bit on the higher side. I offered $19150 + TTL + doc ($299) = $20,500 Out The Door.
    I even decided to put $2000 down.
    I will check Norwood, Maybe its better it did not work out with this dealership!
    The salesman gave me a quote over the phone for $20,000 OTD for the LE I mentioned in a previous post but today the sales manager didn't agree and they want over $21,500 OTD with 0% APR for 36 months. It doesn't make sense. The 2009 Camry LE doesn't come with standard ESC (Electronic Stability Control) or Satllite antenna. Such things should be standard in every car not expensive options. I do not believe it is a good price at this time. I will wait for the 2010 with more standard options or look elsewhere.
  • bobbypbobbyp Member Posts: 2
    where did you get this deal? where are you located?
  • bobbypbobbyp Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for 2009 Camry LE near south jersey and Philadelphia area. Please advice if someone recently got a GREAT deal.
    Thanks
    Ah yes, know how that goes all too well, seems we in the south get hammered hard with all kinds of nice little surprises. Don't blame you for passing on the deal especially if it doesn't meet your requirements.
    Just got the Saturday paper for Los Angeles, CA, and it seems that 2009 Camry LEs w/ auto are now going for $17,500 or less in many dealers with one dealer putting $16,999 on the ad.
    It is a shame for a salesman to give a promise without real power to keep it. If you have no executive powers, do not give guotes. It is a tactic to keep you in the show room with the hope of getting a great deal for them not for me. BTW, I didn't call them to reduce the price. I have several options to choose from. They called me many times to come and close the deal. You live and learn. This is why we should respect the experience of old people.
    can you pl tell me which dealer is offering camry-LE for 16,999 ? thanks
    Northridge Toyota. It's already sold, so you will need to wait for the Friday's paper. If you go to Power Toyota Cerritos, they have 10 Camry LEs to choose from every week for $17,477 with many different colors.
    waltchan - thanks for the quick response. can i see the paper which have ad cars online? what newspaper is showing the deal? power toyota, do they match NorthRidge offer? thanks pl respond to my my id: rvs_2000/hotmail.com
    No, you cannot view the ad online. You will need to buy a newspaper. Power Toyota will not price match at all since they always sell all 10 Camrys every week.
    I am in the market for about 2 weeks. The best OTD price I got so far is $21750. I don't know why other can get about $20***. Can anybody from Chicago area give me some advice? Thanks in advance.
    i called northridge dealer. they told me that 16999 is for base CE model not LE. LE is for 17999. is it true? do u know any sales person to get the best deal? thanks whats your personal-id? thanks