Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• marc42marc42 Member Posts: 3
    I live in California. I put a $500 deposit down on a new car with a dealer a few days ago (i.e., I spoke with the dealer on the phone; we came to an arrangement; I gave him my credit card info for the $500 deposit, in return for which he is holding the car for me and has put on the options/accessories I requested.) I have just come to realize the deal is not a great one. I haven't signed any paperwork yet and would like to back out if possible. The dealer says that since he held the car for me for a few days and has put on the various factory options I requested, I won't get the deposit back if I cancel. Is this correct under California law? If you know the definitive answer please let me know right away. Thanks!!!
  • rrubianesrrubianes Member Posts: 4
    Typically, there is a law that prohibits buyers of new cars to back out of a deal or return their car once they buy it off the lot. Usually, you would be subject to a restocking fee. I would try calling the credit card company and canceling the transaction.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    he is holding the car for me and has put on the options/accessories I requested.

I think that might be the problem. I think most dealers usually return the deposit if you change your mine (if you buy a car with standard options). There're extra costs/options w/ your case that the dealer might never be able to sell them to other buyers.
  • renew2renew2 Member Posts: 23
    Drive out was $25,200

The owner rewards package includes body side molding and some oil changes.
    Also had the vehicle shield package (this is just an expensive wax job.. told them i would not pay for it).
  • smartshoppermasmartshopperma Member Posts: 17
    Mathew,

I sent you the email.
  • dodocatdodocat Member Posts: 1
    hi, smartshopperma, can you send the detail to the following email:
    tech4deal@yahoo.com,
    my wife and I are looking to buy a camry right now and would really want to get some help, :-)
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    No, combined mpg must be less than 18. Your old Camry not eligible.
    tech4deal,

Sent you an email.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    In future, we would prefer that info be shared on the Forums rather than by email - exchanging info privately deprives other members of the information, and we're here so that ALL members can benefit.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

On July 14, I had posted the specifics of my deal on this Forum for everyone's benefit. Posting dealer's name and address will not help anyone because it is a local Massachusetts deal which is only available through their referral program and by contacting a specific person at the dealership. Also, the rules of the Forum prevent posting of names of salespeople, their telephone numbers or other contact information.
  • zimbochickzimbochick Member Posts: 30
    We just puchased a 2010 LE 4cyl in GA. The MSRP was $22,900. After a long hard haggle they came down to $19,488. They waived the enviro-guard fee as part of the deal. Total including everything is $21,313. After the transaction was completed we revealed we had a cash for clunkers. To say the sales staff were unhappy is an understatement. They stated they couldn't offer us that price for a clunker deal. Obviously they have to, it was a signed deal, and they tried to take the $4500 off after sales tax, which here they cannot do. All in all a fair transaction. Luckily we were well informed going in, and after reading posts here knew to bring up the C.A.R.S rebate only after everything was negotiated.
  • arayanarayan Member Posts: 4
    If you have not signed anything then go ahead and place a hold on that charge or dispute that charge with your credit card company.you may not get the money back immediately since it will have to go thru the dispute process.I dont see any issue here.
  • jginnycjginnyc Member Posts: 20
    greater NY area, was offered the following deal on a 2010 camry SE:

MSRP incl options (moonroof and spoiler): $25205

dealer price to me: $22479. residual value on lease offer was 58%.

Good deal?

Thanks.
  • mike_smithmike_smith Member Posts: 11
    Purchased a 2010 CAMRY LE 4CYL AUTO - 2532 for 18,400$ today in SoCal.

Here are the details of the transaction

22,850 - MSRP
    -3950 - Dealer Discount (all the discounts bundled in one line item)
    -500 - Toyota Loyalty Rebate
    ======
    @2.9% APR / 4 Yrs (Didnt take the other 500$ rebate, went with the promo financing instead)

The negotiated price with the dealership was 17,900 (including both the rebates) but i figured that i save more over the time of the loan if i take promo financing VS taking the credit union financing @ 4.99%

The negotiations with about 40 dealerships in and around Los Angeles took about a week or so, but it was well worth it since i had atleast 3 options to go with just in case a dealer started acting up once i went to the dealership (This did happen at the first dealership i went to, I told them to screw themselves and was out of there, Had a 2nd option, called them before going there and asked them if they would honor the price qouted over email for sure, and they said they would)

Went there around 2pm and was out of the dealership at 4pm.

Dealerships are surprisingly empty on sundays here and the finance guy who was doing the paperwork said that the market is so bad that they were selling about 400 cars per month in peak season and now they are barely selling 100-150 per month

Stick to your target price and shop around, Thats the best advice i can give you at this time.

Mike
  • edmond4edmond4 Member Posts: 6
    hi mike, do you mind to tell which dealership you went to? thanks a lot~ :)
    Offer looks ok to good.

I just bought down here a 2010 SE - 4cyl in texas
    500 rebate - rebates less down here in texas
    Options
    Leather
    Sunroof
    Rear Spoiler
    Tint
    Owner Rewards
    Sport Tech Package
    23,500 + TTL
  • pattyp1pattyp1 Member Posts: 3
    Could you please post the name of the dealership ? Thanks !
  • tran300tran300 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Mike,

I am planning to buy the same car as yours. Would you please email me the information regarding the deal that you received or some forms of proof that the dealer will accept to give me the same deal? Thank you so much.

Tom
    We actually scrapped that deal as the dealership was not at all co-operative with the C.A.R.S rebate. We eventually purchased the same model a 2532 2010 LE 4cyl for $18,950. After taxes and the $4,500 C.A.R.S deduction, the total was $15,973.
  • mike_smithmike_smith Member Posts: 11
    When i went to the dealership they mentioned that this is the price for their AD Car (i think the ones they advertise for a low price in local newspapers) and that they would not be able to offer the same rate to any other referrals at this time.

The only reason i can think of they gave it to me for that price was because of heavy negotiations i had already done via email and the sales manager i dealt with had written confirmation that she will give it to me for 17,900. They were offering me Sandy Beach Metallic over the email but i was able to get a silver one at the dealership without a hassle.
  • wyzustcwyzustc Member Posts: 3
    Hi Mike, your price is soooooooooo good. Could you please tell me the dealer's name? My email is wyzustc@gmail.com. Thank you so much!
    Since I qulify the 1k college rebate, I think maybe they would offer me a price around 18k.
    Again, thanks a lot!
  • tran300tran300 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Mike,

I am planning to buy the same car as yours. Would you please email me the information regarding the deal that you received or some forms of proof that the dealer will accept to give me the same deal? Thank you so much. My email: tran300@hotmail.com

Tom
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    There is NEVER any guarantee that a dealer can or will give the exact same deal to two different consumers - there are too many factors involved to "prove" such a thing.

The best that we can ask people to offer here is to provide the names of dealership (not salespeople!) at which they had a good experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• allen01702allen01702 Member Posts: 1
    Smartshopperma, Would you please email me the information? I am looking for a new Camry LE in metro Boston area. Thanks. My email is hotrocks_xyj@yahoo.com.
  • sam1985sam1985 Member Posts: 12
    Hey,
    I am from Dallas, TX
    I just got a quote on Camry Le 2010 with Leather seat
    MRSP 23895 (no leather seat added on MRSP)
    Dealer's offer 22,200 + TTL with leather seats - 1000(rebate) = $21,200+TTL

Is this a good deal????
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    2010 LE 4 Cyl Priced through Internet sales $20,446 after $500 rebate.
    got $4614 for CARS (including Salvage)
    Paid $15,832 excluding TTL etc.

Also traded another vehicle and got exactly what Edmunds TMV predicted.

No haggling - no drama - no surprises - Internet Sale is the way to go.
  • Mike_R1957Mike_R1957 Member Posts: 10
    How do people get these kind of deals? When I check the dealer invoice on
    Camrys, it's about $2500 less than MSRP, then I see where some say they got the car for $4000 or more below MSRP. How do these dealers stay in business selling cars for less than they pay? I'm getting ready to make an offer on a Camry, and would like to know how to get the best price possible. Our local dealer is very small, and barely wants to nudge on the retail price. We have a Ho
    nda Accord we're wanting to trade, and all they want to give is $3000 for our car against the $24,150 MSRP on the Camry. Basicallly, giving them our nice Accord, where I'm sure someone will turn around and put it on their lot for $5000.
    I don't live far from Fairmont (about 90 miles). How did you buy the car through the internet? Do you just ask them for a quote? We're wanting a 2010 Camry LE with sunroof & alloy wheels. The MSRP is $24,150. Thanks.
  • lizzy88lizzy88 Member Posts: 9
    I got an internet price quote from a dealership for the 2010 Toyota Camry SE-4Cyl Automatic. They quoted me $25,300 out the door price that includes the $500 loyalty cash and $500 rebate.

Price quote above includes the following equipment:
    Carpet/Trunk Mat Set
    Color-keyed rear lip spoiler
    .JBL AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with integrated satellite radio, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology, eight speakers in six locations, Vacuum Fluorescent Display and FM diversity reception. (Satellite Radio Requires Compatible Receiver and Monthly Service Fee)
    Sports Convenience Package - includes Homelink universal transceiver and auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and MOONROOF.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? If anyone got a better deal can you email me the dealership allen8liz@att.net
  • jginnycjginnyc Member Posts: 20
    I think you should be able to close a deal at 10% below MSRP or perhaps a bit better
    This is how I bought through the internet. Got pre-approved for financing, looked at Fitzmall price to get a ballpark. Then took the 5 dealers closest to me, and started sending emails to their sales department. Was VERY specific about what I wanted, model #, 2352 in my case, color, options, etc. 4 responded within 10 minutes, 1 never did. Then I wrote back to the first and said I had financing and was willing to come in and buy that day if they gave me their best offer. Then wrote to 2, 3, and 4 listing #1's offer, and so it went. Took a few hours, but eventually got $4,500 below MSRP. Eventually went with dealer #1 anway as that was the best offer. The better internet sales teams know a well-informed buyer, and won't try to upsell, and some of the other gimmicks. One of the other dealers phoned us the next day and conratulated us on a great deal, said there was no way they could have matched it. Our purchase was entirely painless (except for the money exchange), went in for a test-drive, signed the paperwork, and that was it. Internet car shopping is not for everyone, but it cuts down on time for buyer and seller, and you don't end up getting sold what you don't want/need. I would highly recommend it. Good luck!
    Thanks. That sounds like a great approach. A lot easier than going back and forth with the sales manager at the dealership. I can't stand that. I got the Fitzmall price and the TMV price from Edmund's, so I at least have a starting point. Our dealer won't hardly deal at all. But they are small, not a high volume seller.
    Allen,

Sent you the email. I am in the same town as you and would have liked to do business with Bernadi but they are not very good to deal with.
    I found TMV price about $400 higher than the starting negotiation price, and about $2,500 higher than the price I eventually got. Fitmall was way closer, considering they include transportation with those numbers. I am sorry your local dealer is being inflexible. I even had one dealer offer to drive and collect me if I didn't want to drive the 50 miles to his dealership. My advice is find another dealer who will work with you.
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    I think I did it directly from Edmunds.com get a quote from dealers near your zip code - got a reply back from their Internet Sales guy - Initials are D.K.
  • donnad5donnad5 Member Posts: 1
    i live in the Phoenix area. Anyone get a great deal on a 2010 Camry?
    I just bought a 2010 Camry SE 4 Cyl auto

Options:
    Leather Seats
    Sunroof
    Spoiler
    Rear Reading Lights
    Dimming Mirror with compass
    Carpet Mats
    Owner Rewards
    Vehicle Protection Package - this option is BS- just an expensive wax job.

I walked out the door for $25,200
  • liuspringliuspring Member Posts: 1
    Hello smartshopperma, would you please email me the information regarding the deal. Thank you so much. My email address is liuspring@yahoo.com.
  • yl242yl242 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, Guys,

A update from my recent puchurse of a Camry.

Barebone LE 2010 silver 4-cyl Automatic

Price
    $20,319 - $500 (rebate) = $19,819
    plus Tax (6%) and Registration (~$100)

total $21,819.

Louisville Area has only three toyota dealer. T. of Louisville and Jeff Wyler T. offer a little bit higher price. I bought it at Oxmoor T.
    Today's sacbee: LE MSRP $22919, sale price include $1000 factory rebate, final price $18732. 3 at this price.
  • felixtfelixt Member Posts: 4
    I live in the Bay Area (Northern Cal) and want to buy a 2010 Camry LE 4 Cyl. The best quote I've found is 19.5K. I think there are better deals out there. Any one care to chime in from the area?

I'm hoping to pick one up for about 18.8K. Tax + fees will be large in CA.

Thanks.
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    kara,
    I asked many dealers around Houston about pricing on 2010 Camry base model and they would not agree on any base model for less than $21,000,so not sure about your question on an 09' Camry LE. I decided not to buy the Camry since there is no way i will pay a $1,000 bucks more for a Camry than a base model Accord(LX). These are comparable cars and the prices should reflect that. The Accord LX can be bought at OTD for $20,100, so why should the Camry be over $21,000 OTD for base.
  • sfjoe523sfjoe523 Member Posts: 8
    I am also in the Bay Area, where did you find a quote for 19.5k and this is out the door price?

THanks
  • felixtfelixt Member Posts: 4
    That's just the price of the car without taxes or such. Toyota 101 Redwood City
    It seems like a decent deal but as always you try to get a better deal. I'm not sure you can get a better deal right now with the clunker program in effect.
    09 vs. 10 model, $1000 higher is not too bad. But I think you can get a LE for $19k.
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    Anyone in Houston Texas get a 2010 Camry base model for $20,000 driveout? It seems like all the dealerships will not sell the base model for below $21,000 which is absurd.
    I ordered a Camry this past week because they didn't have what we wanted on the lot, but but am concerned about the incentive rebate now. There was a $500 cash back on the Camrys, but it looks like it may have expired yesterday. If there is a cash back offer going on when the car comes in will I get that rebate? Does Toyota normally have rebates on this vehicle or do they only do that a couple months out of the year?
  • honghai66honghai66 Member Posts: 6
    I am in LA area, dealers already jacked up the price. LE, 4 cyl. I4, for buyer with clunker deal, the best deal I got is $20500 before TTL, w/o any rebate (invoice price $21014). For regular buyer w/o clunker, you can get $1000 below invoice. You'd better wait for end of the CARS program if you are not clunker trader.
  • one4all_m21one4all_m21 Member Posts: 4
    The 1000$ graduate rebate is eligible for current graduate students, correct (even if you are not graduating in next 6 months ?)
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    I was looking around the dealer lot in Sunnyvale last week, and they had quite a few 2010 LE basic models for around $18688 before TTL. Most of the cars had a sticker with this price hanging on the rear view mirror, and these were mostly basic LEs w/o any options. I didn't talk with any sales people, so didn't know if any special incentives were included.