Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    I am looking to buy SE v6 - with cloth interior w/o curtain air bags....I have been quoted as low as 21600 OTD including taxes and title and all other fees - this includes the rebate...is this good?
    The first call I made offered me 22277 OTD....and the next guy 21600 - help me choose...
  • azguyazguy Member Posts: 23
    You are exactly right, alpha. The LE with the SE package is NOT the SE model. They are delivering it to my home today! This is the wife's car....she is stoked!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'm sure your wife will be happy its a very sharp looking, smooth riding, refined and economical vehicle. Which options did you choose again, and was the MSRP and final sales price (before TTL)?

inspectoring- if you have two offers on the exact same vehicle, and one is $700 less than the other, what exactly do you need help in deciding?

~alpha
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    mine has the VSC and side curtain airbags + SE premium package. MSRP: $27,572. My out of the door price was $24,870. So far I am very happy with the car. Only had it for 9 days. Still driving it very gently till the car is broken in. The only thing I have an issue with is the drive by wire throttle system. While I understand it improves fuel efficiency and acceleration, I don't like the disconnected feel when I step on the gas. Don't get me wrong, the car is very quick in fact much quicker than my 95 LE V6. But in the older Camry I would feel the response as I stepped on the gas. With the new Camry I don't feel it. The acceleration feels sort of artificial. Anybody else felt it also?
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    that seems to be the most common complaint with the 04 SE V6...the acceleration sucks....
  • azguyazguy Member Posts: 23
    The MSRP was $24,830....I bought it w/ the options on it which were ABS, side and curtain air bags, moonroof, and the "SE package". The final price before tax and license, was $20,000. Arizona VLT is about $385 and tax is 7.6% or about $1500....it's being deliverd to me in about an hour...thanks for all your help..
    I bought an 2003 Honda Accord LX V6 in June and love it, but wife has always wanted a Camry and I will love it, too...
    Azguy
  • mitotrackermitotracker Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Houston, TX. The MSRP is $23,535 including some dealer options. I got a driveout price below $21,500 after $1,000 customer rebate. It's a pretty good deal.

Having shopping around with several Toyota dealers in the Houston area, I finally did business with the Sterling McCall Toyota. I didn't get the bad things described in the "Confession of a car salesman" article at Sterling McCall. They respect you and treat the customer pretty well. It was a nice dealer-customer experience with some fun, though the negotiation is still tough. Some previous dealers really pissed me off.

You can ask for Max Dinh (internet manager, he is really a nice guy) or Scott Hanna (internet marketing director) at Sterling McCall.

I hope everybody can get a smooth and happy car shopping experience instead of those horrible things in the "Confession" article. :))
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    UM clearly you didnt read andy71's post. He said the acceleration is outstanding, just that the drive by wire is odd. I test drove an ES330 on Wednesday, and would completely concur.

~alpha
    Thanks for clarifying my statement. I understand that the ES330 and the Camry share the same engine and transmission, right? Since you test drove the ES330, how was your overall impression of the car? Could you see yourself owning one? Because of budget constraints, I had to settle for the Camry. As for the drive by wire throttle system, my dealer told me that very soon just about all the cars and trucks would have this feature.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi andy71 - since this discussion is specifically focused on Prices Paid and experiences buying Camrys, may I suggest you and alpha01 meet up over in the ES 300/ES 330 discussion for that conversation? Thanks.

:)
  • lawomanlawoman Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying the SE 4 Cyl through Costco (www.costcoauto.com) Costco sets up a deal so I can buy my car at a local dealer for $50 above invoice. I'll get the SE for $18,477. After rebate it's $17,427. I also get invoice price for any options I want to add.

So, in the end, I decided to get the premium leather package and carpeted mats options and paid $19,384 - this includes dest. charge and rebate.

This price was so great that the other competing dealerships literally told me they couldn't come close. Didn't even try.

Because I don't want the spoiler and want the moon roof (at no extra cost - it's a standard option) I have to order the car from the factory, and wait for it. It's worth the wait.

Good luck!
  • x_longhornx_longhorn Member Posts: 2
    Hi Lawoman:

Thank you for the COSTCO info. Which state are you in? I am also a COSTCO member, and interested in purchasing a new camry. I am at Houston, Texas.

Could you provide me with more info? My e-mail is x_longhorn@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The only problem that I can see if you order one is if it comes in after April 5 and there is no longer the $1000 rebate. As far as I remember the vehicle has to be purchased prior to April 6th. What happens if your vehicle is not at the dealership prior to the date?
  • TMLTMLTMLTML Member Posts: 22
    Good pointe fredvh. How long does a special order take? I was told it would take 8 weeks to grab a Base LE from the delivery stream, and that was NOT a special order.
    Well, considering where you attended college, I am happy to have to explain to you that lawoman is a woman from L.A.

L.A. is an abbreviation for Los Angeles. In case you don't remember what state Los Angeles is in, it's California.

Gig Em, Aggies!
  • jeff1jeff1 Member Posts: 11
    Bought yesterday:
    XLE 4cyl, leather, moonroof, side+curtain airbags, heated seats, floor mats:
    $ 22,200, take the $750 cash rebate,
    final price : $21,450.

I think it's a good deal.
    What was the MSRP of this vehicle? If the MSRP of this XLE was 26,489 it was a very good deal. I show the invoice to be 23,302 and you got it for 22,200?
    Yes, the MSRP is 26,489.
  • mitotrackermitotracker Member Posts: 2
    Is that $21,450 the driveout price for this vehicle? If not, what is the driveout price? By the way, where are you located?
    drive out price:
    21450+ tax 1110 + title and fees 284

= $ 22844

I am in MA
  • gerriberrigerriberri Member Posts: 44
    Hi Everyone,
    I am in NYC, researching prices in the Lake Worth, FL area for my mother. Plse let me know if this is a good deal: Camry XLE-4cy
    $21076.00
    $36.00 fee
    $1264.00 (6% tax)
    $175.00 (tag)
    $22515.00 (without rebate of $750.00)
    If this is high for the area, where should the pricing be? Also, is roadside assistance part of the warranty? or should she purchase the Toyoguard, offered at $240.00? (from this dealer).
    I just read alot of these posts and found out that this dealer is also the authorized dealer for Costco, so it will be interesting to see if he comes up with a better price now. I will also investigate some of the dealers in South Miami that were recommended to other people here. Ahything else you can recommend??
    Thanks in advice for any help you can give me!
    Gerri
  • xinyuxinyu Member Posts: 3
    You can try to call Toyota of Orlando. It seems they have good price on Camry XLE. see www.toyotaoforlando.com and choose internet specials. Good luck.
  • mj2002mj2002 Member Posts: 1
    This is the awe place to get the useful information from folks and I also would like to share my bad experience with folks to let people keep alert when they deal with the same or similar situation.

At about 11:00 AM on March 20, 2004, I called the salesman in Jim Lynch Toyota Dealership in St. Louis, MO and asked him if he could beat the price $17228 for a 2004 LE, 4 dr., 4 cylinder, automatic silver Camry with ABS, JBL system and floor & trunk mats. He said he COULD and he had an exact car I was looking for and offered me at $17128. At about 1:00 PM on my half way to the Dealership, I called that salesman again to make sure that Camry with those options still available. He said YES. At about 1:00 pm I met the salesman, did the test drive and sat down with the salesman. He filled out the purchasing form with the price that he offered me on the phone, then he went to the general manager to get approved. At this moment I was happy to get a good deal. However, two minutes late, the salesman came back to me with the price $17687. I was shocked and asked the salesman what was going on. He said the general manager approved the previous price at $17228 for me when I called him on the phone, but he didn’t approve now and increased price with $559 more. I told him I wanted talk the general manager. The general manager came in and told me I didn’t know how to negotiate the price. I said, “ If you told this earlier on the phone, I don’t bother to come to your dealership now.” At 2:37 PM, I left Jim Lynch Toyota Dealership with disappointment.

I finally end up with Seeger Toyota Dealership in St. Louis, MO for a 2004 Camry. Seeger Toyota offered very good price and service. They are very professional and honest! I highly recommend !!!
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    What's up with Sunnyvale Toyota? I saw their sign: new owner! new management! Are business not good there?

Aren't Toyota dealers doing so well that they can turn away customers?

Last time I went out for a Camry, I went to 4 Toyota dealers.

The first one, a sincere saleperson tells me the sticker price is the price that I have to pay.

The second one, we loved a used camry, the manager told us he had no problem selling it since it was in just one week ago and refused to take my offer, which is 500 below his bottom line.
    The third one, the manager very politely told us we should go to the other dealer after we told him another dealer had a lower price than his.

The the last one, S Toyota, everything was fine except a sales person wanted to sell us a new camry with 109 miles on it.

So here I am wounded up with a Honda Accord.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I guess you would be "wounded" if you bought a Honda instead of a Toyota.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Definitely "wounded", but not by the 03 Accord.

Will try my luck next time at some other Toyota dealers.
    Be sure you send Lynch Toyota a link to your complaint on Townhall here, so they know that there is a price to be paid.

To reduce the chance of similar experiences in the future, be sure you speak with/deal with the Internet Sales manager. They are MUCH more honest than Joe Floor salesmen who like to play those games.
    When one purchases a new Camry is it normal for the dealer to charge an additional fee for advertising? I have heard this before- that all Toyota dealers charge this fee. Is this correct? I am in the mid-west.
  • newtoyotabuyernewtoyotabuyer Member Posts: 1
    jeff1
    May I ask you the dealership name where you purchased your toyota camry xle in MA.

Thank You
  • bellabella Member Posts: 4
    What is the "anti-theft system w. engine immobilizer and ALARM" that is standard on the XLE? Is it the same as the passive alarm? Dealer says it is not, and that will it not be recognized as an alarm by insurance. Thanks in advance.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    It is a passive alarm system. You may have to buy an optional glass breakage sensor to enhance the factory alarm system. You will get auto insurance discount with or without this accessory.
  • bellabella Member Posts: 4
    Thanks lok888 -- What is my recourse if the dealer insists the passive alarm system is not part of standard XLE package, and wants to discuss in the finance room (starting at $495)?
    bella - Make sure you do all you homework before you go to the dealer. They will find many ways to increase their profits. BTW, my dealer offered me $585 for the extended warranty. I don't remember for how long, maybe the 6 year plan. But I didn't buy it. Good luck.
    It's BOCH Toyota. They are good.
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    Bella -

My Opinion:
    I agree with lok88. Do some research on Edmunds and carsdirect on the price of the car with the options that you want. Print out the results. Ideally, you should deal with the Internet Mgrs, because they tend to give you a better deal.

Go in VERY confident about what you want and how much you expect to pay. Be very pleasant, but don't answer personal questions. Be very business-like, because they are trained to smell weakness and they want your money.

You will probably get around $2000 off the listed MSRP from the Web sites, with additional rebate for your area, when you buy the car.

Now is a great time to negotiate, because it is the end of the month. Typically, they will give you a better deal to close the deal, increase sales numbers for the month, and take a car off inventory. You can try to get free mats or free oil changes, depending on the dealer. And if you don't like the deal, you can always walk out.

Also, you can get extended warranty after market, during the current warranty period... Just check through some of these posting for more info.

If something isn't written down in the contract, it doesn't matter what the salesman says. And his word is not final. The contract isn't good until the Manager signs it.

Keep us informed.

- Hank2
    Is it necessary to buy extended warranty?
    The dealer offer 7 years bumper to bumper, for $1069. Is it necessary for Camry. The dealer said there are many electric parts, and the repair will be very expensive.

If this is not the case, I will cancel it.

Thanks
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    jeff1,

These vehicles are built well for the majority. I would wait out the 3year/36 months warranty and bank the money. If during the 3year/36 month period you are having alot of problem, you could then decide whether to trade it in or buy the extended warranty before the basic Manufacturer warranty expires. Why give up monies now, when you don't know what the future holds, you may decide to get a minivan or an SUV.
    It covers most major car components, towing & rental reimbursement and meals & lodging. And it is transferable. It is up to you how long that you are going to keep the car. Keep this in mind that everything is negotiable. And they will always compete with others.

Yes. I would begin with email or fax to the internet sales department of several dealers. I bought my cars via internet/email. And Edmunds has great information on invoice, options price, TMV. Good luck.
    It covers most major car components, towing & rental reimbursement and meals & lodging. And it is transferable. It is up to you how long that you are going to keep the car. Keep this in mind that everything is negotiable. And they will always compete with others.

Yes. I would begin with email or fax to the internet sales department of several dealers. I bought my cars via internet/email. And Edmunds has great information on invoice, options price, TMV. Good luck.
    Why doesn't Edmunds allow people to post links to a particular car dealership?
  • frankrom22frankrom22 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 2004 Camry LE w/ leather (aftermarket) in Atlanta for $19K drive out price. Included the $1K Cash Rebate.

I am happy with the purchase. Thanks everyone for the great advice.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Essentially, it's because of past abuse of the no soliciting rule. We used to let users post links and contact info, but unfortunately too many salespeople were abusing the Town Hall by pretending to have just gotten a great deal from Joe Blow at Smith Motors, here's Joe's email address, phone number, website - of course the person making the post was Joe Blow himself using a fake name. Of course they wouldn't always be that blatant, but you get the idea.

Anyway, this isn't the right place to talk about this - go over to Ask the Town Hall Hosts if you have other questions or comments. We can discuss it all you like over there. :)
  • tony4tony4 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy 2004 Camry LE in next couple of weeks. Options I am planning to have is ABS and Carpet floor and Trunck Mat set. Based upon reading some of the postings, I was planning to use the invoice price specified in Edmunds.com. Which comes up to $18,671. This price does not include Toyota's rebate. What would be the best price I can get?.
    If I can get frankrom22 deal, I would take it. Leather sounds great for 19K. Please advice any experiences in DC Metro area.
    Thanks,
    Tony.
  • frankrom22frankrom22 Member Posts: 14
    Tony4,

The car that I purchased does not have ABS brakes or a mat set.

I picked up a set of mats for $15 from Wal-Mart that match my interior perfectly. I didn't want to pay the $100 that the dealer was asking for mats.

The method that worked for me in purchasing my Camry was faxing. There are 12 Toyota dealerships in the Atlanta area. I purchased a cheap fax machine and sent a fax to all of the
    dealerships indicating the lowest drive out price that I had received. (Actually the letter I sent contained a price that was several hundred dollars lower than the lowest drive out price that I had received.) Five of the dealers faxed me back. I picked the lowest price and went in and purchased the car that day.

From now on, this is how I plan on purchasing cars. There was no haggling involved and no change in the price. I had the fax from the dealership showing the price that they agreed to.

Maybe the same technique will work in DC.

Good Luck.
  • tony4tony4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information frankrom22. I am contacting the dealers via internet. Will post once I get the car.
    I had done all my research online and had been in touch with several dealerships in the area. I had spoken to the salesman on the phone and felt comfortable with the price he gave me, as well as the fact that they were also the dealership that was used by Autobytel, and Costco,(which I later find out is only because they are able to bid for that business!) My mother and I make an appt to see the salesman and he tells us hes finishing up with someone and hands us off to another salesman.
    We go for a test drive and I start hearing EVERY single sales ploy I read about online: his wife is a cripple, he only makes $50.00 a car, he has to work 364 days a year to make ends meet...blah blah.. After the test drive we go sit down and now comes the HIGHEST PRESSURE sales job I have ever heard..and WE HAD TO SIGN RIGHT NOW!!! I told him there was no way I was signing right now and if the numbers were good then I would go home, review them and come back.. then he tried to pull the "give me your license" trick.. No way! But besides the high pressure, he was speaking to us like we were total morons, and he felt that he could intimidate us into signing right then and there. Then he throws out a ridiculous number of $18500. for the 04,XLE,4cy, which I knew was a totally bogus number. I said put it on paper and we will go think about it. Of course he wouldn't do that! At this point he gets the Sales Manager, who was even worst than he was, in terms of high pressure and intimidation techniques. After being abused by this guy for about 5 minutes, I turned to my mother and said, we dont need this, lets go.. and we walked out. I really felt that they saw 2 women and felt they could treat us this way. I will be writing a letter to Toyota to let them know about my experience with Delray Toyota.
    But there is a happy ending to this story: we ended up at Palm Beach Toyota, had a lovely salesman,who I initially warned that I wasn't signing anything right then and there. He brought over the Sales Manager who had no problem with us thinking about the numbers and coming back later. When we came back later of course the car had been sold, and he tried selling us a demo,(no thanks,) a color we didn't want,( no thanks,) and finally found a car from another dealership. Here is how it ended:
     XLE (4cy) w/ floor mats, ToyoProtection Plus, $22,000 OTD, in Lunar Mist.
    Although the car is my mother's, I drove it the entire week and what a fabulous car!! Luxurious, immenities, and the car just floats. We are really happy with the car. But more happy that this process is over with and we won't have to do it anytime soon!
    Good luck everybody!!
    Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am sorry your first experience was so bad. You now have a great car that should last your mother many wonderful years.
    Hi,
    I figure if I can save anybody the agony that I went though, then why not! Edmunds and all the other car websites are really a godsend, for people like me.. and its great that there is someplace to warn other potential buyers.

I'm sure she will enjoy the car for many years! What's not to love, right?

Thanks for your response!

Gerri
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I bought a car from Delray Toyota back in 1988 and we had a great salesman. I knew what I wanted to pay otd, and after a little of the high pressure bit, he realized I was getting ready to walk. He eventually pulled it back a notch, and 1.5 hours later, we drove off in our new Corolla.
    Went there again in November 1997 to look at a used Corolla, and couldn't belive the high pressure and outrageous price for the car I wanted. I finally got up and said, "no thanks" and went to another Toyota store and got the exact same car with less mileage for a very good price, more inline with what Edmunds and another source I looked at said, it was in the range of the 2 sources. I felt comfortable with the price.
    I think it really depends on the salesman one gets at the time and how they conduct themselves in the negotiations.
    Glad to hear you got the car you wanted at a price you were comfortable with!

The Sandman :-)
  • johnfromncjohnfromnc Member Posts: 10
    I am planning to buy a Camry XLE V6 with leather heated seats and the stability/airbag package. This will be in the next couple of weeks.

1) In your opinion, who offers the best Internet service and pricing in NC or VA?

2) The invoice on the car I am looking at is $25,136 (less the dealer holdback). What would be a reasonable price (before rebate, taxes and DMV fees)?

I'm in Raleigh.

Thanks for your help!

John W.