Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bavendabavenda Member Posts: 9
    Here are my concerns with the s type. Revs higher than the regular on the freeway. Too choppy of a ride, too much noise from the tires. I agree that the 2 grand extra is worth it but I want a car I can commute and have fun at the same time. Please share your experiences! (my insurance company only wants $50 more per year)

Thanks
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Actually, the top gear is the same. You just get to shift at a finer rate. I prefer it, YMMV. As for the stiffer ride, it's true, and not for everyone. The better response is a trade off, again, I like it, other prefer a softer ride. It's always fun to drive, even when going for groceries.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    this car has plenty enough range with five gears in the base model. If you go for the S, do it for the flatter cornering or the extra power, but just remember this car needs to be revved to get those extra horses, and the downside of thicker sways and 17s is a more jarring ride over the road (especially the sucko roads of California). Keeping the engine spinning at 5000 rpm to extract the power is fun in its own right, but if you think that might get tiring after a while, just get the base model. It has enough power to cruise easily at 110 plus and pulls strongly (with a 5-4 downshift) even when you need to pass at 85 mph. Plus, I am still getting 31-32 mpg in regular commute driving (with my non-S) on 87 octane (a big plus to me).

Speaking of maintenance issues, I have begun hearing a slight clunk out of the front suspension over abrupt bumps - may have to check that out. Just went out to Texas in it for a week - mileage now at 15.8K

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I see, so you'd like to stay at the stock 16". I want to move up to 17", so I'd need new rims. Besides, I'm getting tired of the stock wheel look on my car. LOL.

Yes, the 2005 RSXs are using the same Michelin tires as the 2002-2004 ones, except the 2005 Type-S is 17" (which you mentioned). What a shame that a new tire brand wasn't offered for at least the Type-S. :(
    I really like the look of the stock 17s on the '05...they look very similar to the ones on the TL, to me. But I assume you would be going aftermarket...

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yes, I would go aftermarket. The stock 17" wheels that come on the 2005 RSX-S do look better than the 16" version. But I'd probably go for something that has 7 spokes. I already have my eye out on a couple types of wheels that wouldn't necessarily break the bank. ;-)
    what's your budget for something like that? More than $1000 including the new tires? Or substantially less?

For a new set of tires, wheels, and including labor and balancing, I expect to pay $1200-1400. I don't think one can get all that for under a grand unless it was really cheap crap (i.e. worse than what comes stock w/ the car). What's your budget for new tires?

The tires themselves are pretty cheap - about $100 each. That's cheaper than stock Michelins!
    I kinda figured it must be over $1000 for the whole works. I figure around $600 for the next set of tires: bought, installed, balanced, after tax. At least I hope. But I am going to b getting better tires than the stock, and if they cost more, then so be it.

The only rims I ever bought were for my truck, and I bought them used, so I really have no idea what aftermarket rims cost.

The more I see the new 17" Acura rim for the '05 type-S, the more I like it. (And the more I dislike the changes they made to the front and rear fascia - thank goodness I bought when I did). I wonder if it is a straight switch onto my car.

A lot of great tires are available for < $150 each, including all those misc. costs. Yes, you should be able to use a 2005 Type-S' tires/wheels into your car w/o having to do anything unusual. I honestly have not seen a 2005 RSX yet on the road - just pictures of them on Edmunds, a bunch of car mags/Web sites, and some other forums. It seems odd that I haven't. Sales must be slow. :(
    '05s on the roads around here, but what is more telling in a negative sort of way is my local dealer still has rows of leftover '04s sitting right up at the curb with big "red tag sale" signs in them. I think 2004 was the year RSX sales slowed WAY down. If I had witnessed this in any other year with the Integra/RSX, I would have waited until now to buy and probably could have saved another $500-1000.

Just for the heck of it (I expect to shudder at the answer I get) I am going to inquire as to what a set of the '05 RSX-S rims cost to buy. Tax refund time is coming up, after all! :-)

• michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    I actually like the look of our 02-04 rims better. Good for me I guess, heh.

Short review of the Turanza LS-Hs I got in September: so far, has lived up to high ratings from Tirerack. Great improvement over the MXM4s, very sticky (has dramatically improved my launch), got rid of the wheel hop in the rain, and very solid in the snow. Comfortable, and improved handling over the Michelins. The only downside so far is that due to rolling resistance I have lost 1-2 mpg (come to think of it, fuel economy is probably the major reason Acura has the crappy Michelins on the RSX).
    crucial question (for me): was there any reduction in tire/road noise going to the Bridgestones? These tires sound perfect - improved traction AND handling - for that I will accept a 1-2 mpg loss. But I am really hoping to find something that will give me those improvements while ALSO reducing the excessive road noise from the tires. Maybe an impossible mission, I dunno.

Unfortunately, I have to say I haven't noticed any reduced road noise from the Bridgestones. :( But road noise wasn't a priority for me so I probably wasn't too aware of any difference.

Also, just to be explicit, I chose this tire because of traction, handling, AND comfort. If you don't care about the comfort part, there are other tires out there that have better handling (the LS-H is considered a Grand Touring All-Season tire).

Good luck in your tire search nippononly!

• salexander58salexander58 Member Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer because my SRS light was on. Now the dealer says the computer indicates the passenger airbag was deployed and the entire system must be replaced for $3,200. I was in a fender bender 13 months ago, but the light was not on then. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this? The cars as 50K miles, but I have the extended warranty. If anyone has had a similar experience, please share. Any information would be appreciated.
    Cool, I still haven't seen any 2005s on the road. But I recently had to go to my dealer to get something fixed (I'll post more details in another post) and saw a row of 2005 RSXs on the dealer's lot. I'm not that hot on the new headlights and taillights.

So your dealer still has 2004 RSXs left over?! That sucks. I predict that Acura will remove the RSX from their lineup in a couple or few years. :( They really need to up the specs and features to compete w/ some other cars in the $24k price range. (For e.g., AWD, 220-240 HP, power seats, control stereo from steering wheel, etc. and only raise the price for all that by a grand.)
    Was your accident reported? When did the light come on (i.e. how long after the accident)? Maybe insurance will help pay for the new airbag system if the dealer says it was due to an accident.
    "They really need to up the specs and features to compete w/ some other cars in the $24k price range. (For e.g., AWD, 220-240 HP, power seats, control stereo from steering wheel, etc. and only raise the price for all that by a grand.)"

Yup, Acuras in general are definitely not inexpensively priced for what you get. I do wonder if this one will hold up like a 250K-mile Integra I used to have. When I get a sec I will have to stop by and get this annoying dash buzz looked at, and get another alignment done some place besides the dealer in the hopes they can finally center my steering wheel. I stopped by the dealer yesterday on the off chance they were open and could look at the dash, but they were closed.

"I predict that Acura will remove the RSX from their lineup in a couple or few years. :( "

I am afraid you are right, but I am so hoping that doesn't happen! I don't think Acura will go AWD with the next RSX, just because they are weight-averse (as am I) and the TSX/TL are not AWD, but they really need to bring the power and feature content up. I call my car (base model) the "commuter version" of the RSX, with the type-S as the sporty one of the two. The commuter version was exactly what I was looking for (good balance of many attributes for a daily driver), but it would probably be best for the "new" Acura if there were no commuter version of the RSX the next time around.

• ch'oshch'osh Member Posts: 1
    About the 'slight clunk' out of the front suspension over abrupt bumps, I've been getting that too. I noticied it at ~3500 mi. I took my '05 rsx-s to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the sound. If it's cool, let me know what happens with your 'clunking' situation, if it gets diagnosed, fixed, etc. thanks.
    Will do! :-)

With my schedule the next couple of months, that dealer visit probably will not happen until March or April. I am hoping the front suspension does not fall off before then! :-P

• magic_chef2000magic_chef2000 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the '05 rsx type s and I really love the car. However, I'm hearing this rattling sound coming from the passenger side when I'm on the highway. Has anyone had this problem or know where it's coming from?
  • 007_rsxs007_rsxs Member Posts: 2
    I'm having some problems that are similar to yours. I bought my '05 RSX type S in November and 3 days after i had the car i heard a popping noise. The noise sounded like metal hitting against metal or possibly metal against glass. I didn't know what to make of it, but it was very anoying and also loud enough for me to hear with the radio on. I took it to the Acura dealer where I bought it. They supposedly fixed the problem, but the noise came back a couple days later. They said it was a piece of metal clipping, though I didn't get to see any evidence. I just took it in on 1/10/05 to get the problem looked at and hopefully fixed for sure this time. Let me know if you got your problem fixed or if it is still there.
  • 007_rsxs007_rsxs Member Posts: 2
    Oh btw I didn't even mention where the noise was coming from >.< but anyways the noise is coming from the upper corner of the driver side. Almost seems like it is coming from the engine compartment. Seems to be making the noise even at low speeds as well as high speeds with bumps of all sizes. At times it doesn't make the noise then all of a sudden it makes it. I don't know what it could be. Any ideas anyone?
    Check rsx-specific boards (not sure if I am allowed to say the name), several types of rattles experienced. It sounds to me like you might have the dash rattle, which happens more in the winter, and is caused by the dash rattling against the windshield. I had this and Acura could not fix it (they even took out the dash) - eventually I ended up using someone else's homemade solution and stuck weather-stripping foam between the dash and windshield. Has fixed for the most part, good luck with rattles!
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I have an '04 base model that I purchased in the early spring. I had six months of warm temps. The dashboard rattles didn't start until the cold weather came. I noticed that the rattles go away when the inside temperature rises. I set the HVAC control at either of the two defrost settings. When the heat comes through the defroster vents, the rattles go away completely.
    It doesn't surprise me that the dealership was closed on New Year's Day. :-P

Hopefully you'll get your annoying dash buzz rectified soon. About future year RSXs, time will tell, of course. I'm almost certain that the 2006 version will be very similar to the 2005 (maybe new/different colors), but all bets are off what happens for model year 2007, if the car even surives to live that year.
  • ag127ag127 Member Posts: 5
    hi all,

i'm absolutely loving my new rsx type-s, though the dash (passenger-side) does rattle on occasion. however, i have a question about what people mean when they call the transmission "notchy," generally referring to the 2nd/3rd gear issues common in this model. sometimes my shifter snaps right into the gate on upshift, other times it meets a little resistance. Is this the "notchiness" that people feel? This generally happens in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd; one shift this will happen, the next will be clean, and so on. the resistance never feels serious, and so far the transmission hasn't popped out of gear. i only have 200 miles on the car, but i'm trying to keep an eye out for the transmission problem, which seems to be pretty common. thanks.
  • ajb04ajb04 Member Posts: 3
    Today I dropped off my RSX/S for a transmission repair to resolve the notchy (hard to engage in 2/3 gears)problem. The service folks referenced a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) III-5-04 issued on 2004 Sept 15.

The TSB indicates that this problem MAY be due to the 5/6 gearsets as well as the shift cable. The repair indicates replacement of the 6th gear, the synchro cone sets, 5th gear and related synchro cone sets!

We will see in a couple of days.

Mileage is 55,000 km (Canadian car)
    I just took my RSX/S in for transmission repair to solve the notchy 2/3 gear problem.

TSB III-5-04 issued 2004 Sept 15.

Are there other TSB's that you know of that I should check before the complete the repair?
    This is exactly the problem I hope will be repaired during the next several days.

They are doing a repair as indicated in TSB III-5-04 issued on 2004 Sept 15.

Apparently they replace 5/6 gears and synchros.
  • boboandtotoboboandtoto Member Posts: 16
    hi all,

i just bought a rsx 02 and was wondering if there were any recommended times when to shift in the triptonic gear shifter to get the maximum boost? also, since i go on the highway a lot other cars such as other rsx's want to race me and they just zoom ahead, so i was wondering if there was something i could about that? also, i hear a loud revving noise from my engine when i am in manual and about 3000 rpm. is that normal? also, when i warm up my car during the winter and put the heater on "auto" it makes a huge noise, is that normal as well? any input would be appreciated...also, if anyone knows where to get performance parts installed, i would really appreciate that cuz i really need some more power under the hood...thanks a lot in advance...
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    i just bought a rsx 02 and was wondering if there were any recommended times when to shift in the triptonic gear shifter to get the maximum boost?

I guess it depends on your mood. Max torque is around 4000 rpms...I usually shift around 4 or 5000 so the next gear falls into the torque band.

also, since i go on the highway a lot other cars such as other rsx's want to race me and they just zoom ahead, so i was wondering if there was something i could about that?

yeah, smile and wave....

also, i hear a loud revving noise from my engine when i am in manual and about 3000 rpm. is that normal?

Have you ever driven a Honda vtec engine before? Does it sound like aswarm of angry bees? :-)....that's normal

also, when i warm up my car during the winter and put the heater on "auto" it makes a huge noise, is that normal as well?

That sounds like the fan working overtime to get the temp where you want it. I hardly ever use the auto mode myself.

any input would be appreciated...also, if anyone knows where to get performance parts installed, i would really appreciate that cuz i really need some more power under the hood...thanks a lot in advance...

I guess that depends on what you want. If you are planning on racing other cars than you bought the wrong car.

Do a web search and I'm sure you'll find whatever you're loooking for.
    thanks for the reply...i have kind of looked online for "hp boosters"...but was wondering if there was a manual to install for example, NOS or other cold air intakes? or is there a mechanic that can do that for you without voiding the warranty on the car?...this is my first experience with cars...and dont want to do anything to harm it...thanks in advance...
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Just a quick note on the auto mode climate control...I use it almost all the time, except certain times (usually at first, when it's cold). The fan does not max out when the temp you set is not yet reached...it goes at about half max...I know because in those cases, I sometimes max it and it makes a big difference. So, it might be something else.
    thanks for the reply, i'll check into it...

also, i was wondering when you're driving manual are you supposed to lift your foot off the gas pedal while shifting up or down on a triptonic shifter? i usually feel comfortable lifting my foot off the gas, but a friend told me not to...just wondering what your advice was...thanks...
    thanks for the reply...i have kind of looked online for "hp boosters"...but was wondering if there was a manual to install for example, NOS or other cold air intakes? or is there a mechanic that can do that for you without voiding the warranty on the car?...this is my first experience with cars...and dont want to do anything to harm it...thanks in advance...

You might want to look at some websites dedicated to the RSX. They often have instructions (along with pictures) on how to install many upgrades.

As far as the voiding the warranty....as long as the mod that you do to your car does not have any direct connection with the failure, then you are safe.

And if you can get your Acura dealer to install it for you, then that's even better. Some Acura dealers are certified Comptech installers. Comptech is a brand of aftermarket performance supplier.
    also, i was wondering when you're driving manual are you supposed to lift your foot off the gas pedal while shifting up or down on a triptonic shifter? i usually feel comfortable lifting my foot off the gas, but a friend told me not to...just wondering what your advice was...thanks...

No, there's no need to lift your foot off of the gas. Think of it as a regular automatic transmission except that YOU get to dictate when it shifts.
  • dd123dd123 Member Posts: 53
    Hi Guys,

I am plannng to buy a brand new or used acura rsx as my first car.

But after going thru this forums, I feel that acura has got lots of problems like rottent egg smell, gear shifting problem, rattling, windows rolling up problem etc etc.

It acura really worth it ?

Since I am financially stretched I am thinking of getting a used one preferably manual.

But manual seems to have lots of toubles with shifting gears.

Plz advise me

Thanks

DD
    ???????

were there problems with rolling windows up earlier on? I must admit that is the first I am hearing of that. As for the gears, some of the 6-speeds have had problems with a little bit of crunchy shifting, which Acura has issued a recall for - I am not sure if that has entirely fixed the problem because I don't own a type-S, but it was supposed to. Gear shifting in the base model is tight, smooth, and machined in a way only Honda seems to be able to do. It is one of my favorite aspects of the car.

The rotten egg smell goes back a ways to when everyone readied their cars' designs for the new low-sulfur fuel that is mandated to be nationwide next year. As a result, places where high-sulfur gas was still sold had some owners with rotten-egg cars, but this was not limited to Honda - it ranged across a broad spectrum of cars.

It depends very much on your own personal perspective as to whether or not an Acura is worth it. One thing is for sure, Acura dealership personnel are a lot more solicitous than the average, so if you will be using the dealer for anything after the purchase (if that), that's worth a little something.

Apart from that, get what floats your boat. I would have bought a Civic SI hatch instead if it had been more readily available and I liked the styling better.

• joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    DD,

I've had a type-S for a while now, and I never experienced the 'rotten egg smell,' nor any rattling. The shifter is exceptionally smooth, and, like nippononly, I've never even heard about a window problem.

There is only one real issue that seems consistent--the tires kind of suck (they slip a bit in wet take-offs and they generate some road noise). This is easily fixed, however, by getting new tires. It's certainly not a deal breaker.

Josh
  • absiabsi Member Posts: 1
    Any update on this? I have a canadian 02 TSX premium with gear issues.

Bill
  • jdmdc5jdmdc5 Member Posts: 67
    i had a wierd noise coming from my 05 type s also and i narrowed it down to the trunk ....there is bump stops that i unscrewed a little and the noise went away
    I agree. I have a 2002 RSX-S and didn't have any problems dd123 mentioned. The shifter is smooth and my car doesn't smell like rotten eggs.

dd123, yes the tires suck as does the sound system, but they can easily be upgraded aftermarket at a reasonable expense. If you get a base, I'd recommend the 2002-2004 over 2005 since it's faster (fact) and looks better (opinion) not to mention cheaper (fact).
    hi guys,

i was wondering if there was a way to disable the ignition from starting with the key? its just that i gave my girlfriend (who i used to share my car with) my spare key and she just broke up with me and wont return my phone calls...we both go to the same university and she knows where i park...so i am afraid that she would take my car out without letting me know...she doesnt know most of the technical stuff about it, but if there is something i could do to cut the engine off while i'm at college, then i wont have to worry about it constantly. any help in this regard would be appreciated. thanks.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    You never said if it is manual or automatic. If manual...you have to step on the clutch to start the car yes? Then look behind the clutch pedal and remove the two wires going to the clutch switch. Now the car will not start unless those two wires are connected together. I would run those two wires to a hidden switch.

Similar thing can be done with an automatic but the center console must be removed to get to the switch.

There's also:

The Club and any other anti-theft device you can buy over the counter. I use the one that goes from the brake pedal to the floor and prevents the pedal from being depressed (Autolock-X).

Telling someone to grow-up and be mature is like telling my boss he can spend money now...it aint gonna happen.

yikes!

remote kill switches?

Send your girlfriend a self addressed envelope asking her to drop the key in and send it back to you....since she won't pick up the phone.

or else you contact the authorities (of course that would be an extreme last resort...I just thought it sounded good)

Another idea, perhaps your Acura dealer can re-program your ignition and give you a new set of keys.

...or have them contact the authorities..(doh!...there I go again)

Tell your ex to grow up a little bit and send the keys back to you like a mature individual.

:-)
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,

back in 2003, you guys helped me to make an educated choice. I've bought RSX'03 base/auto in July'03.

By now, odometer reads 45K miles, mostly happy ones.

Problem persisting is driver's side window, which rolls up in jerky fashion, slams into frame, and tends to get stuck in cold weather. Dealer keeps putting more grease into it. Don't think it's helping much, though. I've registered 3 complains with dealership. Maybe I'll be able to wring an extended warranty from Acura on this particular window, whadda ya think?

Other than that, not much to kvetch about. Car's good, comparatively inexpensive, pleasure to drive but in snow. Besides, stock Michelins still look OK, after all these miles. Plan's to replace'em before winter'05-06.

I'll appreciate commnents on "bad window" problem.

BTW, Acura CL turned out to be having quite serious problems with tranny. Acura issued extended warranty on them. Hopefully it won't be the case with RSX.
    hi,

my car is automatic, but i dont want to buy any over the counter types of security devices because then it looks suspicious and might even induce someone to steal my car...all im wondering is how would u go about disabling the engine in a discreet manner...u mentioned that the center console needs to be removed...i would appreciate further details on that cuz i am not a mechanic and dont trust myself to try anything new without a possibility of a reversal option...if u cant, then is there somewhere where i could get the info with some pics too, just to make it easier...i appreciate the help...believe me, i do...
    remove the center console, there is a switch attached at the base of the shifter (in most cases; I haven't actually done this to an RSX since mine is a manual). This is the switch that tells the computer your car is in 'P' or 'N' and allows it to fire the starter. If you disconnect it, the car won't start. You could run the wires through a separate hidden switch if you want. This is a lot of work for something like this though.

Just go round there and get your spare key back!

vickat: "BTW, Acura CL turned out to be having quite serious problems with tranny. Acura issued extended warranty on them. Hopefully it won;t be the case with RSX."

I am 99% sure that recall was only for V-6/auto combos. The RSX being a 4-cyl uses a different transmission. I would not worry too much. But for this one tranny goof, Honda is very good about building things to last.