Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• erinmerinm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 RSX, and I have noticed a burned rubber smell over the past couple of months when I get out as well. SO, you're not alone.

Also, I turned on my car last night to find that my headlights weren't working. My parking lights and my high beams work, it's just my low beams. I assume it's something wrong with my switcher. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Considering purchase of RSX for my daughter. Does
    anyone here have a clue as to why the 210 hp engine
    would require premium gas? Do you believe the
    compression ratio of this engine has any bearing on this?

Thanks, folks!

berbel
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you hit it right on the head - it is the compression ratio of the type-S engine.

I have not asked but it is very likely one of these engines that will run regular if you want, but with reduced performance. You could ask the dealership this question...

It's a nice car - I would just pay for the premium gas...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    The type-S will run on regular, and the owner's manual even says so (I just checked mine to be sure).

As nippononly says, the real difference is going to be in performance. The engine won't produce the same levels of performance with lower octane gas. But the OM specifically states that the engine can use either.

Still, the extra performance is worth the price of premium, in my estimation. If you don't want the extra edge, the base is still a very sweet car and (as some in here have pointed out) it actually has better torque at lower ends.

Josh
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Perhaps it's not my place to ask, but why would you want to buy a high performance sports coupe for your daughter?

The only benefits of the Type S over the base model WILL be found when being pushed to the limits of the suspension and the RPM gauge. In other words...spirited driving.
    I, personally, would not want my daughter to have the resources at her disposal.

Again, I don't know the situation and I can only speak on my own behalf.
  • khawkkhawk Member Posts: 2
    I got my RSX-Type S in Dec 2004 and it too makes what I describe as a metallic vibration at highway speeds on the front passenger side of the car. It sounds like it's coming from under the car. The noise worsens with wind and speed. It's in the shop as we speak and has been there for three days in total - four days after tomorrow! How frustrating! Apparently, they have taken apart the entire front of my car and put it back together piece by piece, adding insulation and foam in every nook and cranny. I'll update you once I get it back.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    When you find out about the cause - please be sure and post here so everyone can learn about it.

Thanks!
  • 2001civiclx2001civiclx Member Posts: 4
    I read early posts about MPG's. The best I got so far is 39 mpg on my new RSX (base with automatic) with under 2000mi., while I was driving it gentily on the highway and going thru the break-in, about the same I had with my 2001 Civic LX. I find that driving around curves increases fuel comsumption. Just my 2cents
    how on Earth can you measure the increased fuel consumption around corners? Just curious.

I get 31 very regularly with little variation in daily driving (commute, errands, and the like). Mine is a base with stick, and I drive moderately enthusiastically! :-P

I have got as high as 36 mpg in highway trips at 70-75 mph. If I were to take those long drives more slowly and focus on fuel saving, I am sure I could get 40 mpg.

As far as the highway part, the same should be true of the type-S, since it has the same final drive for the manual in top gear (I believe).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kamster888kamster888 Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious as how you get those insane numbers. I consider myself a moderate driver and cannot get those mpg numbers you get. At best I could probably get 28 mpg with my 2005 Acura RSX automatic, but typically get 25 mpg as is stated on the sticker.
    well...your auto is rated three points lower than my stick shift, isn't it? And you said you could get 28, and I get 31, so it seems to just about add up as advertised.

I don't do a lot of real short start and stop stuff - I drive quite a lot. Fill-ups come at least once a week.

• joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    I'm something of an enthusiastic driver myself, and I get 25-27 mpg with my type-S.

I think nippononly is right, and the stick is a huge part of it. I don't take the car on short hops (under 1.5 miles) all that often, but still...just another reason to go with a manual.
  • 2001civiclx2001civiclx Member Posts: 4
    I should have point out that driving around curves without slowing down appeared to increase fuel usage as I had noticed the fuel guage marker moved down a bit more quickly. That's all. I just started taking gas mileage measurements. Down to 27 on mixed highway and back roads. Up to 39 on mostly highway under 65mph, driving mostly straight roads for 3 trips totalling 180mi. Down to low 30s after it snowed at my location.
    "I had noticed the fuel guage marker moved down a bit more quickly."

Don't forget the fuel gauge will move a bit as you round corners fast, and also as you go up or downhill, because the gas is sloshing around in the tank.

• khawkkhawk Member Posts: 2
    I got my car back and it appears to be fixed. The mechanic spent 18 hours on it and resorted to having the Regional Service Manager look at it.
    They have no idea what was actually causing the noise. They've taken apart, re-sealed, added insullation, and put back together piece by piece the entire front end. A file had to be opened on this service and the repairs, so if I have future issue with it, at least I have that to go back on.
  • wfomaniacwfomaniac Member Posts: 1
    Going around corners causes a loss of momentum dues to the friction /heat losses in the tires. You compensate by applying small amounts of gas. You probably don't notice it, but I do. 'Cause I flick the smooth shifter down every excuse I get. That is where most of my fuel loss comes from going around corners. :-)

At 70 to 75 I routinely get 34 to 35. Low 20's around town, but then again I love that high reving engine and six speed. Reminds me of my CBR 1000. The RSX hits ignition cut out when it is pulling like crazy. The CBR keeps going to 10,500.
  • typesfantypesfan Member Posts: 1
    I too noticed a similar rattling noise from the front passenger side of my new '05 Type S. The dealer removed and fixed the front windshield with new sealant. The problem appears to be gone.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing about 2001's comments about getting worse mileage around corners. Maybe he was driving in a race track loop for a few hundred miles and noticed he was getting fewer miles per gallon. :-P

On this topic, I've been regularly averaging about 24-26 MPG on 50/50 city/hwy driving and about 29-31 on 25/75 city/hwy driving. So in other words, I'm getting around what Acura states (24/31).

I also consider myself a moderately spirited driver, wherein I'll hit the red line on occasion. :-) For anyone wondering, I have a 2002 Type-S w/ some mods but nothing engine/performance-related.
    Speaking of problems, my gas cap lever was literally stuck whenever the weather was literally freezing. I once pulled into a gas station and tried to pop open the gas cap door. But I couldn't! That was embarrassing. I was able to refuel the next day when it was above freezing. Acura eventually replaced the cable and lever (latch) system, which should resolve the problem.
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,
    my RSX'03's approaching 50K miles, end of warranty. Driver's side window used to get stuck in cold weather. After each complain, dealer'd put some more grease into guide channel, nothing more than that.
    I've got a feeling this window will die on me next winter, leaving me some $600 lighter.
    Any chance I can get Acura USA to acknowledge problem and extend warranty? Did anyone here actually use "implied warranty", when Acura picks up repair labor tab?
    Many a thank, vickat
  • uneedthis2uneedthis2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm an 18 year old kid about to land a job payin well enough to buy a used rsx-s. I've dreamed of owning one of these cars since 2001 when they were introduced. My only concern is, I can buy a hybrid civic and get almost 50 mpg, All I am wondering is would anybody give me their opinion on what I should buy?
    like a classic case of a decision you can only make yourself: buy your dream car, or do the sensible thing and buy the gas sipper (whose performance will be zip compared to the RSX)? Gas prices are bound to go up. OTOH, you can have more fun coddling the RSX and getting 30 mpg than you can have riding the HCH hard and getting 40 mpg.

Email the Host instead of cluttering up the discussions (or are you afraid of having your real email address used?). Note the Membership Agreement:

Termination of Membership

Please be aware that your membership may be revoked if you fail to abide by the terms of this Membership Agreement. In the event this should occur, you agree not to re-register as a member of Edmunds.com Forums. Furthermore, you acknowledge that Edmunds.com reserves the right to take action -- technical, legal or otherwise -- to block, nullify or deny your ability to submit Postings. You understand that Edmunds.com may exercise this right in its sole discretion.
  • sublimenerdsublimenerd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Type-S, I have ht a bump when I try to start my car it sounds like it wants to start but it won't. I know that it has direct ignition and the coil packs are on top so is it possible that all are not working or what?
  • boboandtotoboboandtoto Member Posts: 16
    hey all,

i have an automatic 2002 rsx and was trying out different things in the back alley...for example, putting the car in neutral and revving up the engine at the same time and then shifting to drive while the engine is revving at 4-5000 rpm...when i do that that car screeches and jerks forward...i am assuming that is normal behavior...is it?...also, is there a correct way to do what i am trying to do? will harm my engine in any way?...its just that i wanted to get a good headstart at the traffic lights against the other cars...thanks a bunch for any input...
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    you're joking, right?
  • brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    im laughing so hard right now!
    My suggestion for that 18-year-old kid is to be practical. Get the cheaper and lower maintenance car (hybrid Civic). Then after he graduates college, gets a good job, and is self-sufficient, he can get a nice sporty car, given his increased budget. :)
    hey all,

i have an automatic 2002 rsx and was trying out different things in the back alley...for example, putting the car in neutral and revving up the engine at the same time and then shifting to drive while the engine is revving at 4-5000 rpm...when i do that that car screeches and jerks forward...i am assuming that is normal behavior...is it?...also, is there a correct way to do what i am trying to do? will harm my engine in any way?...its just that i wanted to get a good headstart at the traffic lights against the other cars...thanks a bunch for any input...

LMAO!

My brother was doing the same thing w/ his rental cars. He told me "I found out how to spin the tires on a rental car!" Dude, if you're serious about this, I hope you know you are putting unnecessary (and possibly extreme) wear and tear on your engine and especially the transmission. If you want to spin tires, you should've gotten a manny tranny.
  • cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    I'm looking at an '02 with auto, leather, spoiler for my daughter. The car has 62,000 miles on it, a one owner car and is very clean. The price is going to be about 12,250. Do the miles give anyone concern? I know several people with Acuras, some with well over 100,000 miles, with very few complaints. How have your cars held up with higher mileage? I drove the car, put about 15 miles on it and was very impressed how solid it was.
    Any comments?
    Not that this helps too much but, I have an auto with 56000 on it and it still runs like new.

Of course, I'm not found in alleys trying to spin my wheels either.
    :-)
    i was looking at used 02's alot of them had high miles on them and they wanted at least 16 grand! they really hold their value up. sounds like a good price to me with the auto, leather and spoiler, wish i could find one for that price!
    sounds like a great deal, go for it! You will get 100K miles out of it easy, and if it's for a kid she will be totally tired of it by the time she puts all those miles under the wheels anyway.

• tealcaciotealcacio Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced this same problem today regarding both low beam lights not working. Any findings on whether it was the fuse or the lamp?
  • valenciavalencia Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 Type-S. I've had it for approximately 100 days now (purchased Dec. 20, 05). It has 3,900 miles.

For the first 1,000 miles, I tried following the "break in" rules (Drive within the speed limit, do not redline, yada yada yada). However, I couldn't resist taking over 100 mph 2 or three times within that period. I just couldn't resist.

Anyway, during the third and fourth week, I started to feel the "crunch". For those who don't know what that is, it's the occasional crunchy/sticky grind feeling when shifting from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear. At first it was a little scary and annoying. Now it is becoming a problem.

In the beginning I thought it was MY shifting. But NOW problems exactly like mine are arising. Other owners are experiencing the same "crunch" when they shift. In one case, an owner who's had his Type-S for 6 mo. / 7k mi. claimed that the car barely shifted, and the gears would grind almost every single shift. He reported the problem to the Acura Client Services but it still has not been resolved.

I am scared. Will the crunch worsen and be in the same situation at 7,000 miles?

I also heard that there are several petitions out there for Acura to fix this problem.

Has anyone else experienced the "crunch"? Does anyone know of any petition?

Thanks!
  • mikes302mikes302 Member Posts: 4
    I was driving and heard no sound. I smelled antifreeze but thought nothing of it until I stopped and knew it was my car. All of the fluid had leaked out. The car is 5 months old and supposedly a small rock or something punctured the radiator. Has anyone else had this happen? The first guy at Acura client services said he had seen a few before but they refused to cover anything! Acura in Ft Myers FL said it was going to cost me $950. I'm having my auto insurance handle it instead though just to make sure it's not under warranty. Even so I think it's a design flaw that Acura won't admit. There is no plastic guard under the radiator. I will NEVER buy another Acura because of this.
  • mikes302mikes302 Member Posts: 4
    My 3rd gear does this and I have 15k miles on my 05 Type S. It has gotten worse over time and I have to be careful not to grind the gears. The Acura dealer said they can't do anything until it gets much worse. It's intermittant but happens every day I drive it.
  • rsxpressrsxpress Member Posts: 1
    My '02 Type S has had similar annoyances. Since new, it is possible for me to beat the synchronizers between first and second gear. My dealer, Fountain Acura in Orlando FL managed to solve the problem with an adjustment to the shift linkage.

45,000 miles later, the problem has begun to manifest itself again during full power acceleration runs. I'll have it adjusted again, and expect the problem will go away.

Other interesting note about this gearbox - 5th to 6th has never worked well. There is a hard spot half way through the stick's travel. Other than in the mountains, I have little use for 5th gear in this car, and usually make the 4 to 6 shift instead. The 4 to 6 shifting does not appear to bother the gearbox.
  • ag127ag127 Member Posts: 5
    My '05 Type S has the same problem, which started at about 1000 miles. I get "crunch" shifting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Occasionally, 3rd will pop out of gear. Also, there is an annoying squeak that comes from somewhere in the trunk. It's very loud when I drive, but I can't replicate the squeak when the car is parked, so I have yet to locate the source.

Too bad the car has these annoying problems. It's so fun to drive otherwise!
    how did acura in orlando treat u? did u get a good deal? im shopping for a brand new 05 rsx. i live in florida but i am willing to drive a few hours to get a good deal.
    You are better off asking your purchasing and pricing questions in the discussion Acura RSX: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.

That is where all the RSX pricing questions/answers belong.

Thanks!
  • valenciavalencia Member Posts: 2
    This is getting ridiculous! Just today, as I was shifting from 1st to 2nd it popped out, so I tried shifting to 3rd and it ALSO popped out. I had to slow down, press the clutch all the way in, pause, then shift to third!

I went to get my car washed today. When I got it back, they left it engaged on the 1st gear. Usually the car wash people do that. When I turned the ignition on and began pulling out of the place, I felt a slight difference. It felt like the car was more responsive. Shifting was easier, no "crunchy/notchy" feeling from 1st to 2nd gear. I wonder if leaving the car engaged has anything to do with it. When I first drove my Type-S from the dealership, my agent told me to always leave it engaged in first. After a few days when I would start up my car, I would always forget that it's on 1st, so it would jolt. I got tired of it so from then on, I left it in neutral.

I'm going to leave it engaged in 1st gear for a while and see if the "crunchy/notchy" feeling will go away. Does anyone else leave it in 1st gear, or is it just me that leaves it in neutral all the time?
    I was driving and heard no sound. I smelled antifreeze but thought nothing of it until I stopped and knew it was my car. All of the fluid had leaked out. The car is 5 months old and supposedly a small rock or something punctured the radiator. Has anyone else had this happen? The first guy at Acura client services said he had seen a few before but they refused to cover anything! Acura in Ft Myers FL said it was going to cost me $950. I'm having my auto insurance handle it instead though just to make sure it's not under warranty. Even so I think it's a design flaw that Acura won't admit. There is no plastic guard under the radiator. I will NEVER buy another Acura because of this.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have heard of other people having problems with rocks.
    Do yourself a favor. Once you get the radiator fixed, go down to your local Home Depot or Lowes and buy a piece of aluminum gutter guard. Use a piece of cardboard and make a template of your lower air opening (where the radiator is exposed)
    Once you get the cardboard to fit nicely,....so that it fits up behind the license plate holder (if applicable). It should be able to slide in from one side and go right behind the license plate holder.
    Transfer the shape over to the aluminum gutter guard and cut out the shape with some tin snips. File the sharp edges off as best you can and insert it the same way you did the cardboard. Being careful not to scratch your paint.
    Fasten it to the verticle supports that should end up right behind the guard.
    I used a couple of tie wraps on the verticle supports to keep it in place. They can be attached from the front by pre-bending them into a fish hook shape and feeding them in from the front through the holes in the mesh.

Total cost if you have to buy the tin snips? 12 -15 bucks

Or you can go out and buy a "real" guard for some ungodly price.

I left mine aluminum colored because it matches the rims nicely.

Acura cars and service are a heck of a lot better than many companies out there, trust me.
    I agree that it is a flaw in the design and they should fix it this one time.
    It could just be the dealer that you are going to.

My dealer replaced my OEM foglights twice for free (once in the winter of 2001/2002 and again the following winter) they didn't have to but they did...probably because people were having issues with the OEM fogs. The second time they replaced them , they used some premium fogs and I haven't had issues since.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    ... I would always forget that it's on 1st, so it would jolt.

I'm a little confused about this....you can't start without depressing the clutch, so how could this be? I always leave it in the gear I expect to start in...1st or reverse.

BTW, I also have a little of this problem...occasionally, if I'm a little sloppy, 3rd gear won't engage well and it may pop out. I plan to have it looked at. I have an '02 type S.
  • phil05rsx5spdphil05rsx5spd Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 5-spd and it only 'crunches' or grinds when I shift really 'hard'. If I'm cruising along and shifting easy (not jamming it into second) it is fine.

I also had a '90 integra gs up until last year and I absolutely swear by acura. The only major repair I needed was a new radiator, but it was because a faulty cap (didn't release pressure) caused the lid of the radiator to crack. Otherwise, normal wear and tear items like brake pads (once), timing belt (once), clutch (once), etc. needed to be replaced. I ended up donating the car three months ago because the alternator called it quits. The engine was still in pretty good condition and I was getting 31 mpg! I ended that relationship with 170K of miles. My dad also had an '87 integra ls that lasted 230K.

Anyway, I am reaching about 5K miles on my new '05 RSX and I am getting the oil changed. Any reason why it only takes 5W20? That seems awfully thin.
    is rapidly becoming the industry standard, among dino oils. The Focus has been using 5-20 since 2000. With that high cold idle, I am happy for the oil to be as thin as possible, so it pumps more quickly at first start up.

• paulkramerpaulkramer Member Posts: 1
    I know what he's talking about; I've done it too. Yes, you have to depress the clutch but then release it as soon as the engine starts, forgetting it's in gear.

Anyone else here have any luck with their windshield/IP rattle? My dealer is not one of the "better" dealers (anyone else remember what customer service was?) and won't reset the windshield like they should to eliminate the rattle.

Re: the radiator issue: I thought the '05 had a smaller lower fascia opening than the original fascia........I have an '02 and I saw that disaster waiting to happen!! I bought the $3 roll of black plastic gutter guard from the hardware store. It almost matches the upper grill!

I am really disappointed with Acura. I traded in my domestic for this car and so far I don't see much difference in the way they treat their customers and problems with their cars. They are still building RSXs with the windshield rattle and the notorious transmission issues, 3 years into production!!
  • francorsxfrancorsx Member Posts: 3
    Need help!!
    I called the dealer and like always they seem to play me off like i'm making up some kind of story!! Seems in my 2002 RSX Automatic, when I am just about to park and I move my shifter in P postion, the idle needle drops and plays back and forth for a few seconds before reaching a steady idle?? but while driving and if I am at a stop sign (thereore the shifter stays in "D") the idel stays constant and perfect.

Any ideas what could cuase this??? please help...cant figure if out!
  • akl88akl88 Member Posts: 26
    My sister owns an Acura RSX 04 and when she taps on the button to make the driver's window go up automatically, it would always go up halfway and goes back down 1/3 of the way and it stops, but when she holds the button to make it go up all the way the going-back-and-forth thing of the window goes away...

Anyone know why is it doing that or is it normal? Anyone have the same problem with their windows?
    When you shift from drive to park, you go through neutral (gears disengaged, RPM rise), then reverse (gear engaged, RPM drop), then park (gears disengaged again, RPM rise). Is that what you are talking about?

paulkramer - have you had the transmission issues? Do you mean the notchy 1-2 shift?