Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I called the dealer and like always they seem to play me off like i'm making up some kind of story!! Seems in my 2002 RSX Automatic, when I am just about to park and I move my shifter in P postion, the idle needle drops and plays back and forth for a few seconds before reaching a steady idle?? but while driving and if I am at a stop sign (thereore the shifter stays in "D") the idel stays constant and perfect.

Has it caused any problems? ....besides you having anxiety attacks? :-)

It's an electronic speedo. It's not going to give precise readings when at those low rpms...especially when you're cycling though the geras.
    If it it's not causing any malfunctions, then don't sweat it.
  • Options
    My sister owns an Acura RSX 04 and when she taps on the button to make the driver's window go up automatically, it would always go up halfway and goes back down 1/3 of the way and it stops, but when she holds the button to make it go up all the way the going-back-and-forth thing of the window goes away...

Anyone know why is it doing that or is it normal? Anyone have the same problem with their windows?

The window is designed to go back down if it hits an obstruction like an arm hanging out or someone's head. :-)

It sounds to me like there may be some mechanical binding in the mechanism that is telling it to stop and go back down. When your sister uses the "constant up" mode instead of the automatic mode, it is over riding the "head crush" safety built into it.

Have her dealer look into it. It doesn't sound like anything major.

I remember back in the winter of 2001/2002 when I first had my RSX, My drivers window would squeal on it's first trip down on extremely cold mornings. It didn't squeal going up and it never did it on the second pass...only on the first trip down on very cold mornings. ( you're wondering why I would roll my window down on extremely cold mornings?...toll booths)
    It hasn't done it since though...probably just a tight mechanism that has found it's happy place.
    :-)
  • Options
    cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    Thanks to those who replied to my post regarding my daughter's first car. I (we) did wind up buying it. I paid $12,700 for it plus tax/tags. I couldn't negotiate any further. I knew the price was good and the dealer knew it as well. They did change the serpentine belt, new front rotors and pads. My daughter is extremely happy to say the least.

What almost was the deal breaker though, was the insurance premium. I wound up switching insurance companies. The company I've had for the past three years, no claims, was showing no mercy, so I hit the road to the tune of $2200. +/- savings.

PS: The car is fun to drive, rides a little harsh for my taste, but certainly fun.
  • Options
    brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    so glad you got a good deal on your daughter's car. i wish i could find one to the tune of 13 grand!!!!! i hope your ready for your insurance going up most likely in the future. mine was 300/month for about a year and that was just with a minor claim! good luck!
  • Options
    I hope it doesn't go up. If we stay clean it shouldn't. The first quote I got was 3700 and when I gave them the VIN number I got 4350! I couldn't get a good reason why the jump so I went shopping. I wound up with Allstate. I was paying 2300 with my old company for my three other vehicles and with the RSX and adding my daughter, my premium will be around 4400. I took a little hit on my cars but it washed out with the homeowners policy being less expensive. Her piece came to about 1700, full coverage, high limits/low deductibles on Comp/Collision. It was a hassle changing companies, but getting her the car and her being real happy made it worth the grief.

My kids pay their own way with vehicles. They know going in that, what they want they will have to foot the bill for, for the most part. We do help a little and I lent her what she didn't have. She was willing to pay the high premium, but I figured there was a better deal out there.
  • Options
    brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    yes my first car had a high premium being a sporty car, but it was all worth the it! my grandmother helped me finance it and she also helped me with the down payment, i hope your daughter enjoys her first car as much as i have enjoyed mine! :shades:
  • Options
    chico0182chico0182 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05' RSX and recently i tinted my windows and the radio doesn't work properly i get alot of static and interference. Its only the AM stations i'm having a problem with. The dealer tells me the cause of it is the tinted windows and who ever put them on must have cut the antenna. does anyone know anything about this :confuse:
  • Options
    techfuntechfun Member Posts: 11
    I thought the 05's took 5w30 not 20?? You sure about that? Look at the oil cap, and it should specify. I could be wrong, but I was fairly certain it was 5w30. I have an 05 type s and I'm fairly certain that is what the cap specifies. I got mine changed at 1500 miles or so, and plan my next one around 5 or 6k. Car is ridiculously fun to drive, I get that grin on my face every day I drive it.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they changed BACK to a heavier oil? I know my '04 uses 5W-20.

chico: that sounds like a bunch of bull - if the antenna is cut, why are you still getting FM without a problem, when FM is harder to pull in? But if the bad reception happened at the same time as the tint, there may be something else related to the tint that is causing the problem. Offhand, I can't imagine what.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    techfuntechfun Member Posts: 11
    I just went out and popped the hood on my 05 type s and it definitely says 5w-30 on the cap. I think I do recall hearing the earlier years using 5w-20. Not sure why they would have went to a heavier weighted oil, but they did.

Eric
  • Options
    beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I think that was just a coincident that you noticed less grinding when the car was parked engaged (i.e. in 1st gear). I have a (bad?) habit of leaving it in neutral, unless I'm on a hill (either up or down), then I'll put it in 1 or R, respectively. Of course, I pull up the parking break. But someone told me leaving a car parked in gear wears out the gear, so if possible park on flat land and leave it in neutral. So maybe my "bad" habit was not so bad after all.

Good luck w/ your clutch. :shades:
  • Options
    Excellent advice on using a gutter guard to protect the radiator. Not only does the grill protect it, but it looks nice, too. I had mine painted black. Someone from my car club made a template and sold a bunch of these for the cheap, like $10. 2 years later, it's still holding up well, although I may have to spray paint it again. :)
  • Options
    I have that problem, too, where auto-up doesn't work for my window. But I think that's due to the fact that I have tinted windows (all 5, except the front windshield, of course), which may be hindering the window just enough to snag it. So I have to hold it up for the entire ~5 seconds to "roll" the window back up.

In your sister's case, if she doesn't have tinting for the front windows, then she might have some crap that is lodged at the bottom of the window, which is obstructing the free motion of that window.
  • Options
    Due to an international trip in which I will soon participate, I will not be able to use my car for about a month. Are there any precautions I should take? I'm thinking of giving the keys to a trusted friend and have him turn on my car and idle the engine for about 15 min. around halfway through my trip (~2 weeks into it).

Since it's "only" a month, I don't think I need to worry about the suspension settling or anything like that, which, from my research, is typically done to cars that won't be used for many months. Thanks.
  • Options
    If it were me, I would ask him to take it for a 10-mile drive once a week. Barring that, it might just be best to let it sit. Then when you get back you can pull the plug wires to prime the engine with oil before running it.

How long does it take for tires to flat spot? Another reason for driving it more frequently.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Due to an international trip in which I will soon participate, I will not be able to use my car for about a month. Are there any precautions I should take? I'm thinking of giving the keys to a trusted friend and have him turn on my car and idle the engine for about 15 min. around halfway through my trip (~2 weeks into it).

As nippononly said, a short spin once a week would be good for it. Enough to let it get up to temperature and give the brakes a little work out.
    The brake rotors will probably see the most damage from sitting since they are bare steel. The short drives will keep the rust build up to a minimum.
  • Options
    momo67momo67 Member Posts: 1
    Same exact thing happened to me my friend. I was pulling into the dealership at 9600 miles for my 10K service (early) and they notice the "steam" (Freon) but "couldn't find anything wrong" during the service. A day later my A/C ceased to function. . .same thing, pricks won't cover it. I am so thoroughly annoyed and when I do get it fixed, I am having them install a grate/wire mesh so it doesn't happen again. I too, am on the "I will never buy again, at least not from MV Acura" list. :mad:
  • Options
    lucas200400lucas200400 Member Posts: 2
    My friend has an 02' RSX and just the other day when he went to start up the car it sounded like every cylinder was missfiring and then all of a sudden all the engine lights came on. He says he heard like a poping noise from the engine and exhaust. Now the only thing he has done to the car is put on new exhaust and a new intake. The exhaust is a 2 1/4 pipe with muffler and the intake is an Injen short ram. So has anyone had this problem with theirs or is my buddy just screwed?
  • Options
    likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    How easy on gas is an Acura RSX vs a Honda Civic?

I can't decide on the 2 and I don't know how to tell which would use more gas.. :blush: :confuse:
  • Options
    will use more gas, no question. It will also go a lot faster.

Or wait, do you mean vs the Civic SI? In that case, the RSX will do a little better because it is geared higher. It is easier to keep the SI on the boil (which may or may not be more fun for you), but because of the SI's shorter gearing it also gets a little worse fuel economy.

• Options
    likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    Thanks. Made my decision then.The Acura RSX was already priced a little higher than I want to go, I don't want to spend more on gas on top of it. So I'm going with the Civic.

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    lucas200400lucas200400 Member Posts: 2
    Well my friend ended up going to the dealership to get them to fix the problem and it turned out the valves got stuck so thankfully the warrenty was not void.
  • Options
    shrashra Member Posts: 1
    I have an acura CL 3.0 for a few months now. It is my first car and I am almost clueless when it comes to maintenance and identifying car problems. Yesterday, I got into a problem. After geting lost for almost 2 hrs, I had parked my car outside a gas station and when I tried to drive it out of the parking spot, my car started to go forward when i put in in reverse, instead of going forward. When i restarted, it shook very badly with a noise and the battery and the transmission oil lights lit up. That happenned a few times, until after I gave it a rest for a while it started fine and I drove home safely. But I need to know what that was, so I can take care of it. Someone told me it was transmission issue. I had the oil changed just last week, and also, I had to jumpstart the car last weekend since had accidentally I left my lights on. It was an older car that I got jumpstarted from. Would that matter?
    What shud I do?
    Wud appreciate some help.
  • Options
    francorsxfrancorsx Member Posts: 3
    I have 2002 RSX Premium, I removed the original stereo CD and replaced it with an ACURA TYPE-S 6-disc CD changer. Now the volume is very low and I have it turned up all the way?? I know this unit was working fine from the person I got it from…it is missing any thing?
  • Options
    what is an RSX Premium? Is that the base model? If so, the type-S has an extra amplifier that you will need to run elements of the type-S stereo. That sounds like the problem.

• Options
    francorsxfrancorsx Member Posts: 3
    In Canada the Premium is the model just below the Type S - with leather/heated seats and heated mirrors. I think your right with the amp....but I checked the rear of the unit and it only has the 1 plug for the harness which is currently plugged into unit, where does the amp plug into?
  • Options
    goes between them, and you need the type-S head unit.

• Options
    Has anyone installed one of those aftermarket center armrests in their RSX.

http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_htm/products/Acura/AcuraRSX/index.html
    http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ARSXAR&Categ- ory_Code=ARSX

I'd like to know about the quality and the ease or difficulty of installation process.
  • Options
    linearentropylinearentropy Member Posts: 2
    When the keyless remote is activated to lock the doors, the horn doesn't sound for my 2004 RSX. I bought the car used and it didn't come with a remote. I bought a remote online, programmed it, and got it working (I hear the locks and see the lights flash), except there is no horn notification. Is there supposed to be, or is the remote programmed wrong?
  • Options
    doesn't honk unless I hit the button twice in a row - then it honks in indignation to let me know it was already locked, LOL! I suppose it can be programmed all sorts of ways - I have never checked because I like it just like this. I live in a complex where the buildings are built around the parking area, and I come in late at night quite a lot. I would be mortified if my car honked whenever it locked.

• Options
    boboandtotoboboandtoto Member Posts: 16
    1. i was just wondering how do u go about programming the remote in those different ways...
    2. i was also wondering that since i have to disconnect my battery since i'm going out of town for a month (thats what my dealership recommeded)...how should i store the wires?...should i wrap them in tape?...if i do, then it will be all sticky and difficult to remove when i try to take it off...or should i just leave it as it is and make sure it doesn't touch metal?...also, about that, how would i make sure that it doesn't touch metal? whats the proper way to do that...? any help in this regard would be much appreciated...thanks
  • Options
    gariettafgariettaf Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Just bought an 05 RSX-S and am wondering if it is worth it to buy the extended warrenty. I don't drive more than 10,000 miles a year and given their repution I think I can get by with just the basics. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
  • Options
    I certainly didn't do so, and I am not worried in the slightest. Am at 20K right now. Bear in mind that you can always buy an extended warranty from the dealer any time before you reach the end of the standard manufacturer warranty - 4 years or 50K miles whichever comes first. So you don't have to make the decision today.

• Options
    consult77consult77 Member Posts: 26
    I've read in various posts that say you can also buy the extended warranty from any dealer, not just the one where you bought the car. I guess this allows you to shop nationwide. Your mileage may vary but you may want to check it out.
  • Options
    10a10a Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Acura 2005 RSX end of last year. There is less than 8K on my odometer. I wanted to join this forum to see if anyone is experiencing the same problem(s) with their car. What seems to happen is when I am driving my car and I stop at a stop sign or signal light, I can hear a "click" sound from where my gear shift box is. It might just be me, but the sound is getting louder and louder and I hear it everytime I stop. Also, when I pull out of the parking lot and either put the car in reverse or drive, there is a "tock" sound below my car where the engine is. This sound is heard a couple seconds after shifting. Do these problems sound familiar to you? Can someone tell me what's wrong? Should I get my car checked out?
  • Options
    first of all, as for it getting louder, that may just be your imagination now that you are listening for it every time. As for the noise, I don't have an auto, but auto transmissions usually make a tock/click sound when they engage a new gear - is that what you mean? The click when you stop has me mystified.

• Options
    10a10a Member Posts: 6
    I agree, the sound from my shift gear box is probably not getting louder. I'm just probably more and more annoyed with the sound the more I hear it. I understand that an auto trans would make a sound when a new gear is engaged. Anyone know what that sound from my gear shift box is making? Someone told me that maybe my transmission is loose?? Should I get my car fully checked when I go in for oil change? How many of you go to Acura dealers to get an oil change? How much does it usually cost?
  • Options
    Should I get my car fully checked when I go in for oil change? How many of you go to Acura dealers to get an oil change? How much does it usually cost?

get it looked at

oil change at my dealer costs $29.95
  • Options
    vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi,
    My RSX gets serviced at dealer's, and they want oil change every 3,000 miles. Accordingly, Maintenance Req'd light comes on 3,000 miles after service.
    Does anybody know how to turn it off?
    Thanks, Vickat
  • Options
    linearentropylinearentropy Member Posts: 2
    Press and hold the mileage reset button then turn the ignition key to the second position (the one right before actually starting the car). Hold the button for about 10 seconds and the maintenance light should go off. If the mileage gets reset and the maintenance light doesn't go off, try again with the mileage indicator showing the total mileage, not trip a or b.
  • Options
    at my dealer is also $29.95, and they wash and vacuum the car and clean the windows on the inside, all of which I figure is worth $6-8 all by itself, so I am sold! :-)

The manual says the maintenance light does not come on until 8000 miles after the last service, flashing intermittently until 10K miles have elapsed and then remaining on solidly after that. So they may be forgettting to reset it sometimes if it is coming on only 3K miles after the last service.

• Options
    jesandersjesanders Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you've heard anything on the clunking situation; I've got what sounds like the same problem. Have noticed it the past 10k miles or so; I'm at 20k miles. (Mine's a 2004 rsx base model.) I owned an RL previously, and the noise ended up being a loose part in the hood lock mechanism; however, that isn't the problem this time, but they don't know what is.

Also, I wonder if anyone has heard this one: when I turn right onto a street with an incline, and if I'm going over 5 mph or so, I get a very loud bang in the driver rear side (sounds like somebody is hitting the "top" of the car with a baseball bat as hard as they can - it doesn't sound like I'm bottoming out - it scares the daylights out of everyone in the car even if we brace ourselves for the possibility of the sound!). Anyway, I've emptied the trunk and also double-checked the spare tire equipment - everything is secure there. Anyone else hear this one?

Taking it in to the dealer next week or so for another check up.
  • Options
    vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hey, thanks! worked exactly as you said it would. Idiot light's gone!
  • Options
    li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well, I would guess the jack tipping and hitting the side but you say you checked that.

I would find a berm or something that you could slowly drive up onto to tilt the car (in a parking lot or something) and have someone outside the car as you slowly tilt it to determine exactly where the noise is coming from. Have them touch the car if possible (and if safe).
  • Options
    left_lane_dvrleft_lane_dvr Member Posts: 3
    Some DUI smashed my beloved 1995 Accord Coupe :sick: and I have decided to get an RSX (I should have gotten a Integra back in '95, but we learn from our mistakes - don't we).

I have looked at several CPO 2002, but some of the dealers are crazy. Any thoughts between:

(1) '02 RSX-S; CPO, 35K miles, $17.8 (Dealer needs to knock of at least $1K before I waste my gas to look)

Or

(2) '02 RSX-S; private; 43K miles, $15.1

I am also skeptical about the first year of a new model. Did Acura get it right (as much as possible) on the first try?
  • Options
    they mostly got it right on the first try with the RSX. The 'S's had a problem with grinding gears which Acura issued a TSB for, so it should be fixed for free, if it hasn't already been. Look for one with dealer maintenance. (Obviously the CPO car should have had this done, since it is being SOLD by a dealer).

$15.1K on an '02 with 43K miles would be a little low in my area. Bet it needs tires and brakes right off.

• Options
    gan_giaogan_giao Member Posts: 2
    I just called to schedule my 30,000 miles service at dealer near chicago. Their estimated price is $449.95. I cannot believe it. so freaking high. so I called another dealer in Columbus (the dealer where I bought my car) and their price quote is $380. so my questions are:

1. are these even around the reasonable price? I checked the help link in the left column and got a quote for around $162.

2. why they have such a huge price fluctuation for the same service?

3. should I not go to a Acura dealer to do the service?

need your helps, guys. cause I am living in the middle of nowhere in illinois and plan to drive 2 hrs to Chicago this weekend for maintenance. :confuse:
  • Options
    Dealers have "minor, regular, and major" services. When the car gets to 30K, they want to sell you on a "major" service, with a $400+ price tag. It is a big money maker for the dealership. The car does not need most of this stuff. In fact, the $162 is just about right. If I recall the manual correctly, it needs new air filters, both underhood and A/C. And it needs an oil change and tire rotation. The remaining portion of the $162 is for visual inspections of steering, brakes, and exhaust. Do those if you would like a readout on brake wear and the like. They are a peace of mind thing.

I read my dealer's listing of services performed for a "major maintenance", which he has also told me I should do at 30K by the way, and half the things on it are things the manual NEVER calls for, ever, in the life of the car. Let alone at the young age of 30K miles.

For reference, the dealer wanted me to do a "minor service" at 10K miles, price $135. However, all the manual calls for is tire rotation and an oil change, which they did (plus cleaning the car) for $65. $60 saved right there, and the car was only about 8 months old at the time.

Oh, by the way, questions 2 and 3 above: (2) prices vary from dealer to dealer because they are not all doing the same needless crap, some of them are doing MORE needless crap, and some are doing less, and (3) you don't have to use the Acura dealer if you don't want to, but make sure to keep the receipts for all your servicing, just in case there is ever a warranty issue. As for going to an independent, just take the car's manual with you when you go, and show them the page listing what needs to be done.

• Options
    I just called to schedule my 30,000 miles service at dealer near chicago. Their estimated price is $449.95. I cannot believe it. so freaking high. so I called another dealer in Columbus (the dealer where I bought my car) and their price quote is $380. so my questions are:

1. are these even around the reasonable price? I checked the help link in the left column and got a quote for around $162.

I'll go back and check my records. I seem to recall paying around $200, but I'll try to confirm that number for you. Keep in mind, my cars 30,000 mile service came around the summer of 2002 so maybe prices have gone up?

Also, they might have given me a price break because I was the highest mileage RSX at the time and they were using me as a "test rat". When ever I went in for scheduled maintenace (LOL...once a month just about) they were always extremely interested in how the car was performing...how I liked it...blah blah blah

Anyways, I'll try to get the actual number for you.
  • Options
    gan_giaogan_giao Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot guys. I will take my manual and ask them to do only the necessary stuffs. (can't believe they are selling all those craps :mad: ) but I think I will still go to a dealer to save the hassils about warranty in the future.