Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sharon30sharon30 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for responding. This whole thing has been driving me insane. As far as the parts---the second time I brought it in when they replaced a spring it was only a day. The second time when they did something with the macpherson belt it was about 2 days. Wherever they were coming from they had them overnighted. Although I appreciate their efforts to minimize my inconvenience and frustration, I too think that the whole thing just isn't right. I wrote a letter to my sales guy last night expressing my frustration and demanding that the problem be fixed once and for all when I bring it in on Thursday, or to have the car replaced. I wasn't even sure if that was an option or if dealers do that. I would hope they would consider it because this is the second car I've bought from them and I've referred many people.....All in all, I just don't have a lot of confidence in this car and I'm wondering what is going to break next. So, everything I'm describing is the suspension? Sorry to sound so ignorant, I just have no knowledge in this area. Regarding your situation, that does sound like total BS. I have heard of parts being ordered from Japan, but a month is a little ridiculous. So, your RSX was doing that same thumping noise?
  • rambunxiousrambunxious Member Posts: 5
    so yes my car was doing that annoying thumping or clicking i called it. but i just talked to the dealer and they all the sudden found a strut assembly. i got angry at them and the next thing you know they said that they got a release date. so i will get my car back and hopefully i don't have the same problem that you had. i hope mine is fixed for good. what all did they fix on your car?
    So I just picked my car up from the dealership for the 5th time. Do I dare say the problem has finally been fixed!?!? I guess only time will tell now. They ended up replacing the right strut assembly. The left was replaced the second time I brought it in. Why they didn't do that on times 3 and 4, I don't know. Just so you know, I brought the car in at 8 this morning and everything was done by 4. I'm not sure what type of nonsense is going on within your dealership. They should be able to order and replace part within 24 hours (assuming they need to order it) If you have not already, you may want to consider doing what I did this week---sent a letter documenting my experience, stating my frustration, and demanding that the car be fixed once or for all or the car be replaced to avoid possible arbitration. I sent to Acura client services in Ca and copied my whole dealership on it. Needless to say, I got an apology and follow up call from the owner of my dealership this afternoon and free servicing through 30k miles. I'm not cheering yet, but hoping that this is fixed, finally. I hope yours get fixed soon. It's unnacceptable. I took the advice I got from people here and checked out the lemon laws for my state. If the problem comes back, I should be able to enact it. Good luck to you and thank you for your help!
  • wheelmanwheelman Member Posts: 52
    Galacto, cold engines idle at higher rpms until the proper operating temperature has been reached. The onboard computers within the fuel system monitor the engine temperature and adjust the fuel flow and spark accordingly.

The Wheelman
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    you may want to consider doing what I did this week---sent a letter documenting my experience, stating my frustration, and demanding that the car be fixed once or for all or the car be replaced to avoid possible arbitration. I sent to Acura client services in Ca and copied my whole dealership on it. Needless to say, I got an apology and follow up call from the owner of my dealership this afternoon and free servicing through 30k miles.

Well executed!

It sounds like you have a poor dealer in your area. You may want to try another dealer for your next service (if you have that option)

Good luck
  • bobbidbobbid Member Posts: 24
    Just recently I noticed this clunking noise from my suspension. It's more noticeable when I parked the car and back up and go forward after back up. Right now I'm still in the process of fixing my rocking back and forth driver seat back rest :( . yes nippononly, i mentioned to check the left front seat slider assemblyn but not sure if they listen to me (female telling them what to check, not sure about it) i'm schedule to bring my car today to the dealer to fix the driver seat problem (hopefully), and i'm hoping that they can fix my suspension problem at same time. this is very frustrating for a brand new car.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    when you back up and then go forward and hit the brakes, they will clunk, which is normal. That isn't what you are talking about, is it? They may also clunk the first time you hit them going backwards. Just once in each direction is all that is normal.

I really hope they fix your seat - mine remains rock-solid after a couple of weeks. Tell those nincompoops to replace the seat sliders! :mad:

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    DId you really say "nincompoops"? :=)

I have to say that I've been very happy with my '02 RSX-S. No problems at all, except for some slight notchiness in 3rd. I still plan to bring it in to have it checked, but it's not much of a problem and so I haven't been that motivated. Got to do it before the warranty runs out. I have until Sep '06 or another 14k miles, whichever comes first.
  • afstudly_dudeafstudly_dude Member Posts: 7
    Hey Sharon, can you give me the Acura service address in Ca? It might come in handy cause I think I'm having the same problem. Thanks.
    what, you don't like the word nincompoops? :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

the noise is when i back up or go forward and turn. and i try putting the car in neutral and turn the steering wheel left and right and i hear it pop. this is my first automatic car so i'm not familiar what's normal and what's not. my car is in the shop right now for driver seat problem, (also mention the clunkin noise). my loaner car (tsx) does not pop/clunk at all. :confuse:
    hmmm, well that's just a bit too difficult to diagnose remotely, but I hope the dealer gets it all this time! It sounds like the suspension is a bit loose - mine was too until they serviced the car. At my dealer, retorquing the suspension mounts was SOP for the service, which made this little clunking I had before (on speed bumps and the like) go away.

what you are describing is exactly what happened with my car. I think the problem has finally been fixed as I have not heard the noise now for about a week. Granted, I'm just a girl that knows absolutely nothing about cars, but if I can help prevent you from going through what I did.... After 5 visits to the dealership, they ended up replacing the left and right strut assembly and they did something with the macpherson built. During visit #2, they tried to tell me that this clunking noise was normal because they heard reports of the RSX doing it. I'm sorry, but if thumping is normal because other cars are doing it, then it's a defect that needs to be replaced. You don't pay that kind of money for a car to hear clicking, popping, thumping, whatever. I can locate my service invoices and tell you exactly what they did if that would be helpful.
    from the Acura website:
    BY PHONE
    Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238
    BY FAX
    (310) 783-3535
    BY MAIL
    Acura Client Services
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    that's my problem right now, i tried to tell them what nippononly told me about the slider of my driver side seat and they just ingnore me because i'm a female, do not know anything about cars. about the clunking/popping noise, i would appreciate it if you could tell me what they did to your car so i can suggest to them to check it. i'm tried driving 60miles (one way) and when i pick it up its still the same, not fix. :mad:
    Hey bobbid, I'm hoping your car is quiet now as you mentioned it was in the shop. If not, here's the info from my service invoices (i'm copying the info exactly as it appears on the invoice--hope it makes sense to either you or them):
    visit 1: problem couldn't be duplicated
    visit 2: Replace R/F strut assembly. Repair popping noise from the suspension-bearing, FR.
    visit 3: Replace L/F assembly. S/ABS Assembly left, front. This was the visit they mentioned the macpherson belt, but there is no mention of it on the invoice...
    visit 4: wheel alignment, front and rear
    visit 5: Pin, Cotter. S/ABS assembly, right front

I've put on over 1000 miles since they last fixed it and everything has been fine.

Best of luck to you!
  • rsx206rsx206 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    This is my first time in this forum. I have a 2002 RSX(manual) and it's giving me a headache. This problem going on for the last month. Sometimes when i get to a red light and about to stop, so i shift into neutral and let the car roll and suddenly my engine die and the battery light and oil light went on. I noticed that the RPM dropped extremely low to .5 before the engine shut off. I have to restart the engine. I brought it to the dealer for 4 times and they adjusted the valves and it was fine for maybe a week and then it happens again. The RPM is not stable.This doesn't happen all the times but mostly in the morning, i do warm up my car everytime before i take off. I don't know what is going on. CAn anyone help me?
    extremely surprised if that were related to valve adjustment. Sounds like a sensor/engine management problem to me.

I did not pick up my car last week cause I was out of town. I talked to the service guy about the popping/clunking noise and he told its normal, he said that the sound is normal, that's the sound when the car shift from different gear. I don't believe him because the popping/clunking noise is not coming from the trasmission, its coming from the passenger side. i guess i just need to wait until the clunking gets super loud. thanks for the info. i will save it and tell them about it.
  • dc05dc05 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 type s does exactly the same thing. I thougth i was the only one until i came onto this website. My car is in the shop right now for the 7th TIME!!. They try to tell me that they have fixed it but every 600-1500 miles it would come back. I have extensive knowledge of cars, but this one blows me away to c it re-accur so many times. Here is a list of what they replaced: The dealer has replace my steering box, steering column, tied rods, left and right lower control arms including extra greasing of the control arm knucles. They have replaced both struts, shocks, and tie rods. Sure it went away, only for so long until it was there again. They connected a microphone to the front suspension but still could not in pin point where it is coming from. I am now waiting to bring this crap to a stop, hopefully, by addressing it to their general sales mgr when he comes back in. I've had the car for only 4 months!! Anyone with more info....?
  • 10a10a Member Posts: 6
    Dear nippononly, I don't have a habit of resting my hand on the shifter. I hear the click noise from the shifter and realize that I can feel that click noise when I place my hand gently on the shifter whenever I come to a stop. The noise got louder and louder before I took my car into the shop. They replaced some parts of the shift gear, but that clicking sound is still there even though it's softer now. Acura says it's true of all RSX, or for '05 RSX at least. I'm still doubtful, but if the clicking noise gets louder again, they'll expect to see me again. In the meantime, if anyone do also hear that "click" noise, let me know. It would reassure me that my car is okay.
    New problem: Just when I was starting to like this car again, my brakes started to make this tap/scrape type of noise when I first apply them in the morning or after the car has been sitting for a couple hours. I'm not sure how to describe it, other than it's loud and I can't see how this is normal. I talked to the dealer and he told me this was normal. He said it is what they call "flash rust" and it's basically tiny rust particles from the brake pads that build up on the rotors and that I can clean them with soap and water. He told me it's normal and that it happens on his 05 MDX. This just doesn't seem right. Is this normal? Is anyone else experiencing this? I have a little over 5000 miles on it now. I never had to do anything like this with my Integra. I don't even know what a rotor is. (self admit to being complete ignorant with cars) Help!!
  • geckojohngeckojohn Member Posts: 1
    I'm the second owner of a 2002 RSX. I was driving home this afternoon and went to roll down my window. The window went up and down.. and then i heard this loud noise (like someone threw a rock at my car). Then the window went down, but now it's stuck in the down position and it wont go up.

Has this happened to anyone else? Everything else on the car seems to be fine and the other window and moonroof work flawlesss. The car has 36,000 miles and it should be under warranty still, right? (it was purchased in Oct 2002). Should this be covered under the warranty? I'm planning on taking it to the Acura dealor tomorrow morning.. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  • richardsonrsxrichardsonrsx Member Posts: 1
    ok, two things that are irking the crap out of me in my 2005 rsx type-s.

1. suspension rattles (only on the right side) that i believe other members are talking about - if i'm reading these posts correctly. depending on the temperature, the front suspension on the right (and to a lesser extent the right rear suspension) sounds as if something is not tightened when i go over bumps. but other times, it's totally quiet over the same exact roads. the guys over at david mcdavid acura in plano, tx have submitted it to acura tech and say that a similar issue happened with the mdx in about 2001 or so. this is apparently an issue that affects some of the 2005s but not all of them. it's been a month without any response from acura, so i'm getting a little peeved.

2. low-pitched (but loud as crap) wind noise...more like a whistle...at around 80mph. like the suspension rattles, this doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it is annoying. is it maybe the windshield wipers? poor windshield sealant? i'm stumped...

thanks for any thoughts, comments or suggestions!
    rust on the rotors after the car sits overnight is perfectly normal - all cars do it. If you actually take a squint at the rotors first thing in the morning, you will actually see the brown areas of surface rust. The scraping you hear the first and second times you use the brakes is the brake pads scraping that rust off. You should then be good for the rest of the day unless it is very humid or raining, in which case it may come back after just a couple of hours of being parked.

geckojohn: unless the car has been in an accident or something, the window will be covered under warranty.

nippononly, i finally got my car back tuesday afternoon (two weeks in the car dealer to fix the rocking driver seat back rest). They fix the problem, they replace the left frame of the back rest. no more rocking back rest :) but while i was using the dealer loaner car somebody rear ended me friday nigth (5 aug). the damage was pretty bad, im glad that the guy that hit has an insurance. real bad experience. :(
  • wizard69wizard69 Member Posts: 1
    normal...
    I'm glad you came through the accident physically unscathed, and that you got your car back and they fixed the problem! My new seat slider seems to have fixed the problem permanently, it has to be at least a month now, so I am glad, and hopefully your fix will be permanent too! :-)

yes, we were so fortunate that we didn't get injured on the accident. i'm suppose to pick up my car that day when the accident occur but it wasn't ready. so far i'm very happy with my driver seat back rest, but still hearing that popping/clunking noise in my front suspension. but i will not bring the car back to the dealer until they have a sure fix with the suspension problem. :confuse:
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,
    with my RSX'03, auto trans (58K almost blissful miles so far) I've developed a habit of shifting to Neutral when waiting for light to change. Just don't want riding brakes, is all.
    On the other hand, would that affect auto tranny and shifter in any harmful way?
    Many thanks, Victor
    with my RSX'03, auto trans (58K almost blissful miles so far) I've developed a habit of shifting to Neutral when waiting for light to change. Just don't want riding brakes, is all.
    On the other hand, would that affect auto tranny and shifter in any harmful way?

The transmission/torque converter is designed to idle with a load on the brakes (ok...extremely minimal but it's almost negligible)

The breakaway force (the force needed for the brakes to be overcome by the force of the car moving) will not be overcome by idling...holeshots are another story.

What you're doing shouldn't harm anything, but it does seem kind of inefficient
    you are engaging and disengaging the torque converter many times during each drive, which I think would create lots of needless extra wear.

• vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Gentlemen,
    thanks for the advice. Won't do it anymore!
    Cheers, Victor
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hello!
    I asked this question 2 years ago and I will ask again, hoping for the answers I wanna hear: ;)
    Has anyone had experience with having child seats at the back? How hard is it to use the RSX as a daily driver, with regular day care duty?
    It was instant love when I testdrove the RSX-S two years ago and after finding out that there was going to be a new arrival, I nixed my hopes and went for an M class; It's time to replace the second car and I am REEEEAAAAAAAAALY hoping that I could get away with the RSX-S. I am going to test drive it with the child seat AND the child in the back and see for myself. But, I would really appreciate any additional comments from folks that miht have used it as a daily driver, with a wee one in the back seat....
    Thanks!
    --njexpress
    I haven't actually done that, but I suuuuure wouldn't want to try. When I take my friend's kids someplace in her Accord, it is hard enough getting them in the child seats, all adjusted and buckled, HAVING a back door to lean through.

In my car, between the low roofline and the long reach back to the back seat after you kick the passenger seat forward, I think it would get trying very quickly. If you would just need to do it occasionally, it would probably be fine. Every day? No way, try getting something with four doors.

Just my $0.02.

• njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    :cry: Bummer!!! :cry: That nixes it!! - I guess I will be forced to go in for a four door, at this rate. I will keep you posted. Thank you, just the same!!
    --njexpress
    try out the TSX - it is a hoot in its own right. Good luck! :-)

• tkrsxtkrsx Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad to hear others are having this problem...thought I was crazy. This stupid "thumping" or "clicking" that we're all talking about, you don't know how many times people have told me "Acura's just do that"...well, it didn't "just do that" when I bought it. So, I'll be calling Acura today to see what they can do for me.
  • boboandtotoboboandtoto Member Posts: 16
    hi all,
    i was just wondering what modifications we can make to our rsx (auto, 02) without voiding the warranty???...will a cold air intake void it? body kit? neons? larger exhaust? also, if anyone knows a reliable place to get these, i would appreciate it alot...
    i was just wondering what modifications we can make to our rsx (auto, 02) without voiding the warranty???...will a cold air intake void it? body kit? neons? larger exhaust? also, if anyone knows a reliable place to get these, i would appreciate it alot...

Mods can void the warranty only if they can be held accountable for causing the damage.
  • doyle3doyle3 Member Posts: 1
    Did they check the engine cradle bolts to see if they torqued to spec?
    thanks...i'll have to check with my acura dealership regarding this as well...just so they don't have any undue surprises...
    Some Acura dealers will install the mods for you...depending on what it is. My dealer is a Comptech distributor and can install Comptech parts. In this instance, the mods would not void the warranty.

It all falls under the Magnuson-Moss act and you can read a little more about it here:
    http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm
    thanks...the site is quite helpful...
  • nxcessnxcess Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I wouldn't say having a child seat behind the passenger side is a bad thing. I have a 20 month old daughter and a 2002 rsx as a daily driver. Getting her in and out isn't that difficult considering I can move the passenger seat all the way to the front as easily as I can make it go back. I guess you can say it'll take a lil getting used to. But afterwards, you'll get accustomed to it and you'll do it without thinking about it much.
    I got sad news. The timing belt on my RSX broke yesterday. Could anyone tell me the warranty on the timing belt? I tried to google for it but didn't come back with much result. I even tried looking at the Helm's manual, but it only says inspect, not replace. My car has 70k miles on it, mostly highway mileage. I don't know what else might have broken along with the belt. When I popped the hood, I saw coolant mainly in front of the engine near the bottom passenger side and some in the middle next to the A/C fan. I don't know. I feel sad and down about my car.
    So sorry to hear the news. :-(

It is a chain, not a belt, and I don't believe it is warranted any longer than the whole powertrain, at 4/50. You could try contacting Acura Client Services directly though, probably your best bet for getting questions of that nature answered quickly and correctly.

The timing chain drives the water pump, so if it went kerblooie while driving along, it probably took out the pump with it, which would be the reason for there being coolant around the timing cover.

I get the sense you think this is a very expensive repair, but I don't believe this is an interference engine any longer, and you may find that repairs "only" run to about the same price as replacing the timing belt and water pump on one of the older models.

Thanks. I just finished talking to the mechanic today and found out that it's not the timing chain but drive belt that snapped. Along with that the water pump is broken. Everything all together looking at cost of parts [water pump, drive belt, and coolant] and labor is about 370. But I talked him down to 350. Since he's ordering the water pump straight from the dealership, I have a $100 gift card that doesn't expire til Sept 5. Hopefully they'll let me use it to purchase the water pump. If that happens, then I'm only looking at 250. Not a bad deal.
    Not too bad at all!

And at 70K, any external drive belt is on borrowed time. I know these days there is no maintenance when it is "routine" to change that belt, so all they do is inspect it periodically, but I think when my car gets up in miles a bit I will probably have it replaced at 60K or before.

It is a pain when water pumps start to leak, especially on these cars with the internal pumps - THAT is a bummer that yours didn't last longer. Still $350 for a water pump is pretty OK if it is your first repair on the car, at 70K plus.

Plus, it is a quick and easy repair, so you should be back out on the road in no time! :-)

• physastphysast Member Posts: 8
    Ok so I just purchased a 2006 RSX (less than 200miles on car) and when I turn left at slow speeds I hear a clicking.. I have read about others having this problem and not being fixed. I have had the cars for TWO days... What would you guy recommend me do..

I like the car but it shouldn't be making noise when I just purchased it two days ago :mad: .. I got a new car for this reason to leave the troubles behind me. :(

Thanks

Charlie :lemon: