Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 2006rsx2006rsx Member Posts: 32
    Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes this clears the codes.
    '05/'06 use different suspension parts than earlier years. I KNOW the springs are different because when I got my Eibachs for my '06 they carried a different part number. I too have the popping sound in the front end. Dealer told me it was caused by the Eibachs! I guess not, after reading about all the front end noises on these stock RSXs.
  • dj1rsxdj1rsx Member Posts: 7
    I have a '06 rsx, i was wondering if anyone else has this problem. When the car is cold, it's very snappy when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. But when the car gets hot, it has a bad hesitation when shifting in those gears from 4000 rpms to 5000rpms, and if i leave it in 2nd it studders untill it passes 5000rpms. The dealership is telling me its normal, but I don't believe that. It's bogs out bad. It only happens when its hot, like i said its really powerful when you first start it up.
    I don't have the exact same problem, but it sure does seem like the A/C saps about 1/2 of the engine's power. Do you notice the problem when you have the A/C on? My car is a total dog with the A/C on. And if left to its own, the tranny is almost always in a too high of a gear, making the situation worse.
    Yea, my car looses alot of power with the a/c on too, but my car does this without the a/c on, it just totally dogs out when shifting at 4 to 5000 rpms only when its hot
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Is it an auto or a manual tranny?

When you say "when the car gets hot" are you referring to when the car is warmed up or that it is actually running hot?

Just trying to get clarification before I answer

Also, what are the air temperatures when you notice this?
  • rylanlolarylanlola Member Posts: 3
    I am experiencing the oh so common spring issue, which has taken the dealership 6 months to figure out. I suggested that they put MDX spring silencers on (as I saw on here) and they said it wouldnt work...after an argument, they did, and it worked (so far...two days and counting). However, I have also had three sunroof replacements...rattling, creaking, etc. My question is, I also have a knocking in the rear passenger side tire. Its worse when the car is first driven. The dealer replaced a strut, made repairs to the sway bar, and the problem did not go away. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
  • rylanlolarylanlola Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my 05 base model. I was on the thruway the other day in the rain, and it began. I thought something was falling off my car. I have had three sunroofs replaced, and it may have something to do with that? Im on the third, but it hasn't rained yet...
    My car is a manual, 5 speed. The car isn't running hot, just when the temperature warms up. When I first start it in the morning or whenever, and take off, the cars got alot of power, but when it warms up, it totally dogs out when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3, when shifting between 4000-5000 rpm's. The dealership is telling me this is normal, I know better, I've had alot of other cars and none of them did something like this.
    You could just be experiencing "heat soak". If you are unfamiliar with this term, it's what happens when the intake components under the hood warm up and do not allow the cool incoming air to stay as dense. Denser air provides better power. The RSX is prone to this heat soak due to the large plastic intake manifold an dtight confines of teh engine compartment.
    If this is your problem, you'll notice MUCH better acceleration on cooler days than on hot days.

The best way to fix this is to get a Cold Air Intake (CAI) which replaces your plastic OEM manifold with a long tube that grabs air from outside of the engine compartment.
  • songmoesongmoe Member Posts: 2
    I have 06 Rsx S.It runs well on the smooth road but runs over pothole, I feel like the car is going to flip over.It happened to me 3 times. :(
  • blue06rsxblue06rsx Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new RSX in June 2006, and am having the same problem: transmission chatters when in second gear (manual transmission), turning left, and going slightly uphill. This is no minor noise that you need a stethoscope to hear -- it’s loud. I first noticed it at 300 miles. Acura dealer says it’s the transmission and that they know what the problem is. They’ve had the car for over three weeks, but since I have a loaner car, I don’t really care. But after reading about all the problems with this car, I plan on selling it as soon as they fix it -- if they fix it. I had an old Integra that went 10 years with absolutely no repairs -- I’m very surprised and disappointed with Acura.
    I'm not to sure if it is heat soak or not. When I first start the car it has balls, but when it warms up is when it happens. It's a serious lag in the power when shifting only between 4000 & 5000 rpm's. If I shift at a higher rpm, it doesn't seem to do it. Do you have a RSX or work on them?
    I've had an RSX since October of 2002. I notice a drop in performance when summer comes around and an increase when winter comes.

I'm guessing that you don't see a drop in power at higher RPMs because thats the engines sweet spot. Its probably still there, but not as noticable.
  • katedkated Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 RSX that was recently in an accident. It was hit on the passenger side (right) front wheel/door area. I got it back from the body shop yesterday and it looks great but drives terribly. Among other things, the body shop replaced the suspension and did an alignment (insurance wouldn't pay for the Acura dealership to repair it). Now the car pulls to the right, the steering feels loose when turning the wheel to the right and the steering wheel shakes and vibrates at speeds above 70mph. Any ideas what the problem could be?
    yeah, the body shop did a lousy job fixing your car and your insurance company should make sure that your car gets fixed correctly.

You might want to bring up all of the issues that you are having with your steering and also mention that these "issues" WILL contribute to a future accident if they are not addressed. Do this in writing...whether by e-mail or actual letter that you hand carry to them. If they fail to help you out, you at least now have your issues on paper and documented. I would then bring the car to your Acura dealer and have them assess the car....If they find problems with it, bring the write-up sheet from Acura to your insurance company and show them.

If they still refuse to get the car fixed properly, contact your states attorney general. Automobile safety should not be taken lightly...ESPECIALLY by a company that makes money off of customers NOT getting into accidents.

My guess is that you'll never need to go as far as the Attorney General.
    Thanks for the advice. I actually had the car at the Acura dealership yesterday and they found a loose socket on the tie rod and a bent break rotor and the car was completely out of alignement. Acura fixed everything and the car is driving much better, although I'm still not completely happy with the steering. I ended up paying Acura for the repairs but the body shop claims that they are going to reimburse me, so we'll see. I'm hoping I won't have to take legal action. Thanks again.
  • tonidtonid Member Posts: 4
    just bought my daughter a 20002 rsx i was wondering how is it in the snow
  • aucskipperaucskipper Member Posts: 1
    I was washing my 2006 RSX that has 3k miles on it and I noticed where there was some bird dropping that the paint is chipped and discolored. Has anyone had this experience? My car is not even 4 months old! Any suggestions?

Skipper
    I have found that bird droppings must be removed within a few hours of happening. Otherwise the paint on any car will be damaged. Washing and waxing the area immediately is the only way to prevent permanent damage. Maybe the area can be buffed out?
    The RSX actually isn't too bad in the snow since it is front wheel drive. I've driven mine (slowly) through snow up to 6 inches deep and done ok but it will definitely get stuck in anything deeper. It will slide around a lot if you have the factory Michelin Pilot tires though. I have the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and they seem to do much better.
  • juicymoosejuicymoose Member Posts: 22
    I haven't had that problem on my RSX but on my Chevy S-10 i had some issues with the hazard light which was part of the same switch assembly as the turn signal lights. i know the hazard light for the rsx is in a different spot, but it is probably still wired together. i had to replace the whole turn signal assembly which was a real pain.
  • juicymoosejuicymoose Member Posts: 22
    I have had my 2006 RSX for a few months now and noticed a grinding noise as i am driving. i am assuming it is the brake pads rubbing against the rotors cause it sounds like just one spot on the rotor. can't tell which wheel yet. i live in an area prone to salt spray from the ocean, so it could be surface rust (i'm going to scrub them tonight to see if that fixes it). i replaced the rims so that wasn't the problem. and i had new springs put in so that isn't it either. anyway, wonder if anyone has had that problem.
  • mucmuc Member Posts: 5
    I have recently purchased a 2006 RSX and observed a noise similar to the one being described. it happened at about 60mph. i took it to the dealer and the shop foreman rode with me and said it was the seal on the windshield and it needed replacing. I am taking it in this Friday and will let you know what happens. I did not think it was coming from the windshield, but from the engine compartment. He seemed to know the problem, however and it does make sense. he says it lifts up at the high speeds.
  • drawdefdrawdef Member Posts: 14
    OK ... well there is finally a TSB out related to the front end clunking noise. It is definatley the springs and they have remanufactured new parts. I just got back from my 1st oil change at the dealer, they are ordering the springs and I'll have them installed next Friday. I'll report back my results.

If your dealership claims they don't have the TSB, here it is:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Acura/1155625200000_1156143600000_06-026/6026.html

Here is an invoice from someone in TX who alread had those corresponding part #'s(the springs) installed:

http://rsx.adampayrot.info/invoice.jpg

Hope this helps!
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    Since our 2003 RSX is a lightweight car with fairly wide tires, I assume it is horrible in the snow. If I drive in the snow, I am very, very careful.

Being front-wheel drive is good for traction when I am trying to move, but it won't do a thing for me if I need to stop. Since the rear of the car is very light, I assume the rear wheels could easily lock up in the snow and the car could spin out, leading to a nasty accident.
    This is a follow up to my last note that the dealer told me the noise was due to an improper windshield seal. i took the car to the dealer and they put a new seal and this has corrected the problem to date. :surprise:
  • hatchet53hatchet53 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks! I'll take it with me next time I have it in for service. Getting ready for a x country trip in the the Type S, so we'll see how it does after that.
  • overzealousrsxoverzealousrsx Member Posts: 1
    One day my turn signals stopped flashing but the hazards kept working so I drove it to the deal and big surprise they started working again on the way. So they've worked ever since but when the engine is under load, such as being in third gear while under load i head a buzzing sound from the steering column especially from where the turn signal relay box is? Any ideas? :confuse:
  • nxcessnxcess Member Posts: 4
    Well. I need some guidance. I have an 02 RSX Base Auto. I recently discovered that my exhaust camshaft is warped. The car's been out of warranty for some time now. Is there anyway I can get the dealer to replace this, considering it's a defect in the engine?
    Here's a pic of what it looks like.
  • ksj06rsxdc5ksj06rsxdc5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply "muc".

Could you possibly post a copy of your invoice for the windshield seal, in a reply message? This would help me out tremendously so I can finally get rid of the noise.

I've had the noise since I bought the car, it sat at the dealer for 4 weeks. When I got it back they weren't sure what they did but said they fixed it. The noise has been muted since then but I can still hear it at freeway speeds.

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's not warping, that's what they call "galling" and looks like a lubrication issue. You'd be very hard put to prove a defect (even though you could be right) since you'd have to prove that the initial hardness of the cam's metallurgy was incorrect at manufacture.

Camshaft failure in overhead cam engines is usually related to poor lubrication or quality of the lubricants---camshafts are REALLY vulnerable at cold startups and very vulnerable to high heat engine conditions.

When this car is fixed, the cam's line bore shoule be checked, and if this engine uses cam bearings, those should be replaced, and in the future you should use only synthetic oils at 5,000 mile intervals.

Sorry to hear about this problem, but it seems to be getting more common with modern OHC engines.
  • sittingducksittingduck Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 RSX-S around Mid July. After putting about 95 miles on it, (there were 160 dealer "transport" miles), my car began to make a high pitch "humming" noise from the passenger side.

I have taken the vehicle in four times now. Each time the dealership has reported to not be able to reproduce the noise after conducting repairs.

These repairs include, rotating, balancing, realigning, and adjusting the tire pressure. The last turn in, where my car is presently, they "counter rotated" my tires....

As you can see the primary focus has been on the tires, origionally I thought it may be related to my security system since it showed up the day I picked it back up from the shop.

I have been able to reproduce the noise everywhere from 45 mph to 85 mph. (Typically above 65mph)

The shop foreman rode with me and heard it over two types of surfaces, and the Service manager admitted to hearing it. (he initially denied hearing anything after driving it over 150 miles. I sent him a video with a good sound file and he then pointed out it was the same thing he heard)

The service department is claiming they have done all they can to this point.

A Honda Factory Tech will be in to the dealership next Thursday, at which time I have an appointment. (Oct 5th 2006)

I have been able to record the sound with my digital camera and would be willing to share it with those people currently experiencing a similar problem.

The current recording has my ownership information posted at the begining, I would need to edit this prior to sharing it. Those of you currently dealing with this, ksj06rsxdc5, rsxing, & muc, please respond to this post and maybe we can help each other out.

I really like this car, except for the noise. Which even with the stereo blasting at times it will be louder than it.

Right now I've given up on taking my Girlfriend out in this car until the issue is resolved.

I've kept my cool up until this last service call. I've now made the General Manager aware of the issue. I don't feel like I'm getting the quality service you would expect from an Acura Dealership. I hope this will change.

So I'm here to say I too have a "noise" issue which comes and goes. Thank you for posting what you have found. Any help would be great.
  • ljm2043ljm2043 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '05 RSX and have had the same problems. The dealer initially told me it was the gas I used but I'm not buying that. Today when I had it in, they said they had a software update to fix a problem with the temperature coolant sensors that might be causing some problems. I can't duplicate it at will so not sure what it is. And I don't want to put a cold air intake on it until my warranty is expired.
  • sittingducksittingduck Member Posts: 2
    Here are the two recordings I have of the noise. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The second recording occured on the way back from my 4th time to the dealership for this issue. This is supposedly after they "counter rotated" the tires and adjusted the tire pressure to factory specs.

On the second video I did notice the noise getting louder when a gust of wind would rock the car. I had not paid attention to this factor prior to it until the earlier posting.

http://www.rontron.com/henry/2k6_RSX-S_Noise_removedmyname.zip

http://www.rontron.com/henry/092806_1144hrs_coming_back_from_Acura.zip
    Hi,

It sounds like a problem I had with a 2006 RSX. The problem, to my surprise was an improper seal on the windshield. I drove with the shop foreman and he diagnosed it immediately. they resealed it and all is well. Prior to this we thought the noise was coming from the engine.

muc
    Hi,

I am not at home now so have not been able to respond. The dealer who diagnosed it was Radley Acura in falls Church VA, tel.: 703-824-5700. I cannot scan the invoice right now, but it reads :
    Performed TSB 04-040
    831004 .7 00401 01101

I just drove 900 miles at freeway speed 70-80mph and had no problems.

Muc
  • pkypky Member Posts: 2
    I just noticed this "side airbags off" flashing on my dashboard three times from 7:30-9:00 pm( 100806). this has never happened before. does anybody know what i'm supposed to do? I heard that there was a button i had to turn off or on or something. anybody know anything?
  • rsxdriverrsxdriver Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone perhaps someone can clue me in.
    I crashed my 2006 RSX 3 weeks ago (I bought it in May 2006 brand new @ the dealership),
    it's in the body shop right now.
    There was a problem with the throttle and they were trying to fix it but the body shop informs me that they were having problems with matching it because there are some "aftermarket parts"....
    I have not put any aftermarket parts in this car at this time.
    Has anyone had any issues with either the dealer ship putting these types of parts in a new car and not telling the buyer about it?
    Help........ If this is true, I could have an issue with no warranty on these parts.........
    Nope, never heard of that.

Are you have the bodyshop at the dealer (or affiliated with the dealer) do the work?

I'd be interested in knowing what the parts were that they are saying are not "factory". Can you provide these?
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    I've never heard of that either. Are you sure that the "body shop" knows what a throttle even is? The body shop should repair the body and have the Acura dealer repair the engine.

In 2005, Toyota switched from cable-based throttles to electronic throttles on several models. Based upon Jackson Racing's failure to make superchargers for the Acura RSX-S beyond 2004, I suspect Acura did the same thing and the body shop is not aware of the transition. That's just a guess. I have no idea of the specific history of your vehicle.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Thanks for telling me about this possible fix. I'm bringing my car in for it's first oil change soon, and I'm going to tell them about this. I told them when I first started to have the problem, that I thought it might be a temperature or o2 sensor. Maybe these guys should go back to the old school way of finding the problems, instead of plugging it into the computor and then telling us the computor says nothing is wrong and that it's normal. Can you believe that, the dealership told me the hesitation was normal. My problem is always there when the car reachs normal driving temperature. When I first start it up it runs great, but when it warms up it starts to hesitate when shifting. Thanks again, I'm going to tell them about this.
    Let me know if you have any success. I live in WI and it's getting colder outside so I might not even know if this works until next spring or summer. Hopefully you live somewhere warm where you'll be able to tell quickly.
  • championduelchampionduel Member Posts: 3
    hey guys, i have a weird problem which no dealer can be able to fix it. i bought an RSX base auto two month ago,1200 ml now. sometimes when i ignite the car, the engine seems to choke a bit and then starts, the RPM will choke or stop between 0 to 1K rpm than it will shoot up like a rocket to about 2k RPM. You can feel the engine is stoping but the RPM is in between 0-1k RPM. this happens very randomly, anytime during a day could be happening. most likely to happen when u turn the engine off than ignite again. wierd thing is if i put the key in and let it sit for 3 sec until the fuel goes through, the engine starts out fine. dealer checked all the electrical circuit, all fine. please help me with this problem. Thx, btw, i tried both 89 and 91 octane, didn't do any good. pleae help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    weak fuel pump or leaking fuel pressure regulator would be my guess. Overnight the pressure bleeds out of the system so the engine starves at cold start.

Does it crank more often before starting if you don't give it the 3 second waiting period?
    all i have noticed is when i turn the key immidiately without giving the 3 sec period, i can hear the engine is cranking and the car will start up, but very sluggish, the RPM will be about 200 and than shoot up to 2000 right after the choking. it's hard to describe but it's like the engine is trying to start up but something stuck the fuel injector from pusing the gas into the engine, so the car will choke, then seems like the fuel is kicking in again, so the engine will soar after, what a weird problem. also the dealer where i bought the car from, the RSXes there seems to have the same problem. have u experienced the same before?
    please reply me guys, is this a normal problems or something will go away after i put more miles on the car. Pl if you have the similar problem, post it and let me know how u handled it. Thanks
    Never had that problem (or any others) with my '06 RSX. Has around 12K on it.
    I have an '05 with 37k miles and have never experienced this.
  • jandj1jandj1 Member Posts: 5
    Have an 06 RSX Type S with 9,000 miles and have never had this problem. Good luck....mine runs like a jewel and we love it!!