Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dj1rsxdj1rsx Member Posts: 7
    I'm bringing my car to the dealership on 10/30, they have to fix the clunking noise in the springs and first oil change. I live in New York, and its getting cold here too, but my car does it all the time, it didn't do it when I first bought it, but its getting worse. So I should be able to tell if it works.
  • ryc26ryc26 Member Posts: 1
    It appears that I have the exact same problem that you have. I purchased my 2006 Acura RSX (automatic transmission) in late June 2006 and shortly thereafter, I began hearing a squealing/whistling noise coming from the passenger side after exceeding 65 mph on the highway. I took the car to the Acura dealer, and they decided that I needed a new power steering pump. After replacing the part, the noise persisted. This time, I insisted on taking a diagnostic ride with a technician, who heard the noice, and decided that I needed a new speedometer. They replaced the speedometer. After replacing the speedometer, the noise persisted. On the third trip to the dealer, I had another technician ride in the car. This time, they decided that it seemed like the noise was coming from the passenger side (which I told them all along). After inspecting the car, they decided that the problem was that a piece of insulation came loose from the passenger side strut. After this third attempt, the noise abated for about a week, but then popped up again. I took car to the dealer for a fourth time, and they decided to replace both struts. Yesterday, I was finally able to take my car up to highway speeds, and the noise was produced.

I decided to research California's "lemon law," and found that if the dealer is unable to fix the problem within a reasonable number of attempts, a buyer is entited to a replacement vehicle or a refund, minus a reasonable charge for usage. I am a law student and my father is an attorney, so we decided to write a demand letter to Acura.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.
  • mucmuc Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I had the same problem and the dealer (Radley in VA) diagnosed it as an improper windshield seal. They resealed it and I have not had problems since. See messages 922 and 923 for more detail.
  • rddr2003rddr2003 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 RSX which has been trouble free until now. Trunk latch will not pop when doors are unlocked remotely. has any one had the trunk release solenoid go bad? If so doe sit have to be replaced my dealer?
  • chipichipi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 RSX Type-S. I live in San Francisco, CA.

I was shocked in March of 2006 to find that the engine control module (ECM) was stolen out of my RSX. The car was parked in my driveway. What was confusing was that the alarm of the car never alerted me to the theft and there were no visible signs of break in or damage to the exterior of the car. I did not understand how the thieves were able to bypass the alarm system of the RSX. I called Acura Customer Care to express my concern about this apparent vulnerability. There was nothing that they could offer me to assist me in preventing this type of theft from happening again.

I forgot about this incident until the morning of December 1, 2006 when I discovered that once again the ECM had been stolen from my car while it was parked in my driveway (I have no garage). Once again I turned to Acura Customer Care to try and help me prevent this from happening a third time. And once again I was left with no confidence that this type of theft can be prevented.

This type of theft has become so common in the San Francisco bay area that the parts department at Acura of Serramonte has now started to stock the ECM. So this problem is not mine alone to bear.

I have done some research on this problem and I have my hypothesis on how the thieves might be gaining access to the interior of my RSX.

I believe that the thieves could have a "jiggle" key which allows them to open the car door and bypass the alarm. Alternatively, they could have a master key or perhaps they are able to pick the door lock of the car.

Lastly, it is conceivable (but less likely to me) that they have intercepted and stolen the RF code from my keyless entry fob and then programmed this code into a fob of their own.

I am unable to come up with any plausible strategies to counter any of the above methods for bypassing the RSX alarm system.

So my question to the forum users are this:

1) Have any of you experienced a similar kind of break in to your RSX?

2) What are your thoughts on how these thieves may be bypassing the RSX alarm system?

3) What ideas do you have to prevent this from happening again?

While I love this car, if this should happen to me a third time I will have no choice but to sell it and get a car that would be less likely to suffer this kind of unwanted attention.

Thank you for any assistance or expertise you can provide on this most upsetting subject.

Sincerely,

Chip Isaac
  • maverick358maverick358 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I own a 03' acura with a stick shift. It was doing fine until recently. Now-a-days it does not perform well. When I try to accelerate, the RPM goes up but my car does not pick up speed at all and if i drive for more than an hour, I can smell burnt rubber or plastic smell from the engine. I am not sure what this is. If any one knows what this problem is about, plzz plzz plzz reply....thanx
  • 2006rsx2006rsx Member Posts: 32
    I would guess that your clutch is slipping. Does the car have a lot of miles on it and/or do you race it?
  • themayneskithemayneski Member Posts: 1
    I also have a type-S 2003. The details of your post are exactly the same as what has happened to me. EVERYTHING, even the discussions with Acura are the exact same. The only difference in my story are the dates. Once about three months ago, and then again last Thursday the seventh.

Scot
  • linds543linds543 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I'm new to the car thing :) I just bought an rsx and overall I love it! It has almost 8000 miles on it. I drive very conservativly, yet I'm not getting the gas milage the sticker said I would. I check it everytime I fill up and am only getiing around 22 miles per gal. The dealer told us something about how the "engine control module (ecm) "learns" the driving style of the driver, which takes time, and will trim the fuel consumption over time. two drivers with different driving styles who are driving the car can "confuse" the ecm. Basically he's saying the gas milage will get better over time because of this...it sounds strange to me. Has anyone else heard of this or are having problems with gas milage?? I just wanted to make sure this guy isn't just taking advantage of someone who doesn't know a lot about cars. Thanks so much!! :)
    Automatic or stick? If you are stuck in traffic a lot, 22 wouldn't be all that horrible with the automatic. If this is "highway" maileage, you have a serious problem.

I think the dealer is full of B.S. ... Yes, the computer "learns" how to adjust the fuel/air mixture, and ignition timing, based on feedback. But it is a FINE adjustment and I really cannot see it making too much of a difference in MPGs.
  • linds543linds543 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response! I'm thinking he's full of BS too! My car is an automatic, I do more city driving, but I do some highway. Shouldn't I get at least the city driving milage?
  • libertybelllibertybell Member Posts: 1
    I have now had my ECM stolen out of my S type for the third time, twice on my street, and once at my aunt's house, all in very safe neighborhoods in San Francisco.

Acura has no solutions whatsoever. The only thing I can do is use people's garages when I visit. I also don't have a garage, but I pull my car down my driveway and crawl out the hatch. The doors can't be opened so they can't get at the computer. I intend to rid myself of my beloved car as well. Fortunately, I have a Ducati so it doesn't completely immobilize me. If you do hear of a solution, please email me at xsnos@aol.com.

I can only commiserate with your plight. Trust me, someone will steal the computer again and again and again. The police say that there are kids scouring the streets with cell phones, locating cars and calling into the theft ring. They steal in the wee hours of the night and the car alarm DOES NOT GO OFF!!!!

I am filing a report with Consumer Reports so others may be alerted. I don't know what else to do! The mechanic said it is not possible to take the computer with me when I park the car as it requires reconfiguration every time the unit is removed from the car, something that ostensibly can only be done by an Acura mechanic.

The frustration is augmented by the loss of my Integra out of my driveway a few years ago, stripped, totalled and dumped in 12 hours by professionals in my neighborhood. I foolishly bought another Acura, a mistake I will never make again. VW is starting to sound very inviting. Who steals a Bug??

I hope the New Year will give you peace and prosperity, and a new car!!!

from a fellow Acura target
  • tetrismasterjtetrismasterj Member Posts: 2
    o yea sf is very known for stolen rsx and integra. i gess the only thing u can really do is upgrade ur alarm system or relocate ur hood switch to somewhere unknown(like the bottom of the seat or something)
  • theridertherider Member Posts: 1
    I just bought acura rsx 2006, from salvage auction.

They didn't have an original key, so I went to the dealer.
    Well, the key what they give to me have 5 digit code what i need to put in the system with break pedal and start the car.
    My bad luck, the car still wanna start, full pump is not starting.
    The security system work on disabling ignition and full pump, maybe that is problem.

Can somebody help to me!!
  • 03rsxsowner03rsxsowner Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just replaced my passenger side headlight (a tight spot, but not tighter than driver's side), but when I went to start the car it would not start. All of the power works, so I rule out the battery. It tries to turn over, then, when it cannot catch, goes to a series of fast clicks, in which the lights and other battery using things flicker. I may have plugged the cord back into the bulb part upside down, but when I tried to start it with it unplugged, it would still do the same thing. I haven't tried turning it over, maybe I have it upside down, maybe that would work because of some kind of polarity thing. In the process I dropped the bulb and bracket into the bottom of the engine compartment and used a screwdriver to fish it out. I don't think I hit anything that would have shorted something out (the power was off when I was doing this), but I think something electrical is happening. If I go to the car right now, all power operations work, it's just when I try to start it, it seems something electrically related is not working. Any suggestions? I was trying to save whatever money it would have cost to get my mechanic to replace the light.

Bummer about all of those SF thefts. I live in Santa Clara and have taken my car up to SF (Pac Heights, Marina areas) a handful of times and haven't had a problem yet. I sounds like it might just be a matter of time.

Bill
    Your battery may be almost dead. They can have enough juice to run the lights, radio, etc... for a while, but not enough to turn the starter motor. Try charging the battery or jumping it from another car. Or... maybe you accidentally unplugged something or shorted something out while working on the headlight. However, I really think this is unlikely.

And don't worry about the headlight being plugged in wrong (or not at all)... that won't cause the car not to start!
  • ljm2043ljm2043 Member Posts: 7
    Did you ever have any success with your hesitation problem? Mine still does it but I can't figure out how to duplicate it for the dealer.
  • fahrnsfahrns Member Posts: 2
    Bill,

I have the same problem starting my RSX too. I have an '02 Type S. Drove up to the gas station, filled up, and then wouldn't start. Just clicking noises from the starter. A boost didn't help and I checked the voltage. The battery voltage is fine.
    Have you found a solution yet? I'm really hoping it's not the starter. I hear they're not cheap!
    Let me know,
    Thanks
    Pete
  • fahrnsfahrns Member Posts: 2
    Turns out it was the battery. I needed a direct pos-pos neg-neg connection for the boost (had the neg on the dead battery attached to the engine block - didn't get enough juice). I'll be buying a battery tomorrow. Will probably be also keeping an eye on the alternator. Damn cold Canadian winters. My car's been babied in U/G parking for too long!
  • johnnyaction31johnnyaction31 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I recently installed an Apple Mac Mini with a touch screen monitor in my RSX. Around that time, my power door locks suddenly stopped working unless the key was in the ignition. There are no blown fuses or anything and the problem is obviously not with the locks since they work as they should when the key is in the ignition. The only thing I can think of is that when I wired the computer and screen directly to the battery, I also hooked up the new headunit I had bought directly to that wire as opposed to going through the factory harness. Any idea if this is the cause of the problem, and if not, what is? Thanks in advance. --Mark
  • drawdefdrawdef Member Posts: 14
    Does the key have to be turned to any position or just inside the ignition ?

are you documenting your install at all? ive been wanting to install a pc inside my '06 since I got it but i think im going to wait a little while. what are you using the mini for?
  • johnnyaction31johnnyaction31 Member Posts: 2
    The key has to be in accessory mode (to the point just before it would start). Also I have a Compustar alarm which bypasses the clutch for remote start, so you can take the key out and the car stays running until you either shut it off remotely or shut all the doors. When I leave the car running like this the locks do work.

As far as the Mac Mini goes, I did not document the install, but the RSX is setup pretty nicely to where you can get an indash screen and put the Mini (or PC) in the glove compartment without modifying anything. You have to have basic wiring knowledge, but basically if you know how to install an aftermarket headunit you can install a computer. The only tricky part was organizing the wires so I could put the dash panel back in once it had both a headunit and the screen mounted to it. (I still dont have a perfect solution to this) The dash snaps apart by hand so I could easily take it apart and take a few pictures to give you an idea of what I had to do. Let me know if youd want that and I can do it tomorrow.
  • jmwakin1jmwakin1 Member Posts: 1
    My driver's side headlight is out. I've bought the replacement bulb but when I looked under the hood, I couldn't figure out how to replace it without breaking something.

Anyone know how to replace the bulb in the headlight? I'm hoping it's something I can do myself and not take it in to a mechanic and get charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Pictures would be excellent. What kind of screen and headunit do you have in the car now?
    ...as far as your locks, at first your theory makes sense - it would sound like the locks aren't getting power unless the ignition is on.

But I don't see how wiring the computer and adding a new head unit would prevent the locks from getting power.

I'm suspicious of your remote starter/alarm.

In playing with my locks, I did notice that with the key IN the ignition, but the engine OFF - the locks do NOT work. (I assume to prevents dumb-dumbs from locking the keys in the car). If your remote starter allows your key to be removed and the car remain on, it has to be tricking the car into thinking the key is really there. It almost sounds like the car is thinking the key IS there when its really NOT and thats why it wont let you lock them.
  • justice5justice5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just purchased a 2002 RSX from a private party. It is an automatic with 97,000 miles. I wanted to mention some things just to see what you guys might think and if you've had similiar issues...

1. There are 2 small oil seal leaks which I knew about when I brought the car to my mechanic. the seller took $1000 off of the price to pay for the repair. I thought this was somewhat odd for an Acura even at almost 100k miles, but it is what it is. I'm getting it fixed.

2. There is a small area right above the rear bumber (near the wheel) where there are some ruse bubbles. not a lot- like maybe .5 inches x 2 inches. i was hoping to bring it to a dealer to get it fixed under warranty, but it is JUST over 5 years old so I think I'm gonna have to pay for it myself. Again, I thought this was a little strange considering the car isn't that old. Is this gonna be expensive?

3. The car makes a slight squeeking noise (comes from the front right) when the engine runs on some cold mornings for about 5-10 minutes. Again, only on a cold AM, and it always goes away. Is that something to be concerned about?

4. I notice that once in a while when using the AUTO-climate control, sometimes the car will blow in hot air and then cold air right afterwards, instead of simply shutting when the temp is right.

Thats it. I know it sounds bad, but I really LOVE the car and just wanted to bounce these things off some of you guys since I got it recently. Mine was taken care of pretty well and not driven hard by the previous owner, so I'm pretty confident its a good car. I've always been a Honda guy, so I felt like this was the logical step up...

Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
  • kelc511kelc511 Member Posts: 3
    :cry: I bought some aftermarket bulbs for my headlights and in the process of installing them I took the battery out to create a little more space to work in. However, upon hooking the battery back up and starting the car, I realized that the security light on the radio was blinking and my radio read "CODE".... How do I figure out the code to make my radio work again?? Is there any way to do it without taking the radio out?! Thanks!! :cry:
  • hatchbackbabyhatchbackbaby Member Posts: 7
    You can either look in your owners case that they gave you at the dealership, it should be a leather case in your glove compartment. Or if you bought your car aftermarket, look in your glove compartment and you will see some numbers printing on the side/or bottom of the glove box. Those numbers are the code for your radio. Hope you're able to find one of them. :)
  • kelc511kelc511 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you SO much!!
  • tonidtonid Member Posts: 4
    my check engine light is on i have had it to 2 mechanics and can not figure out what is causing it. the 2 codes i get is misfire #1 and 2. they changed the spark plugs, cleaned the ejectors, they did not see any leaks. the car runs fine. can anyone give me any ideas what is wrong really would appricate it
  • my06typesmy06types Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 type-s and the AM radio reception is horrible. I like to listen to AM sports stations while driving and it never comes in clear like it does in my mom's G35. I have asked the dealership about this problem too and they said that it has to do with interference with the radio signals... This is one of the few things about my car that I don't like. If anyone has been able to fix this problem please let us know...
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Have they checked the oxy sensor?

I have an '02 also and just switched mine, although I was getting the appropriate code.

But I just saw a lexus rx300 that was giving similar misfiring codes and it turned out to be one of the O2 sensors.
  • tonidtonid Member Posts: 4
    thanks for replying i will ask my mechanic said it might be the coil packs. he oredered 4 of them. the problem is when you are driving and are going up a hill it seems the check enigine light comes on any ideas on that also. how do you like your car
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I replaced the drivers side headlight on my 2004 RSX. IT IS NOT EASY BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION. The procedure was more involved than what the owner's manual suggested. I had to remove the battery (well...okay), then unfasten the washer bottle filler tube from the body. From this point forward, it gets hard because you can't see what you're doing AT ALL. First, disconnect the plug. Second, slide the rubber dust boot off the assembly. Third (here's the joke), unhook this hinged horizontally swinging rod and move it toward the left fender so that you can take the light bulb and carrier out of the headlight assembly. If you think that was easy, try putting it back together!! :mad: It took a while, but IF I COULD SEE WHAT I WAS DOING :mad: , things would have been much easier. LESSON LEARNED: Use one of those compact mirrors attached to a telescoping rod or buy the bulb and take it to Acura. Poor design! :(

I believe that when this car was being assembled, the bulbs were mounted in the headlight assembly BEFORE the headlight assembly was attached to the car. I even wondered if I could remove the assembly from the car. As I looked around, I realized that I couldn't do that w/o removing the bumper first! NO WAY! :surprise:
    I agree, what a pain! But you are lucky... 50% of the time the tab holding that wire clip onto the junky "pot metal" casting will break off, especially if you try to force things. (because you can't see what you are doing). One has to wonder why Acura chooses to use these crappy old-style bulbs on the low beams. Funny that they used the modern style, easy to change bulbs on the hi beams, isn't it?
    Yeah I have the same problem with my '06 RSX. And it was bad with the stock radio, but even worse with an aftermarket Kenwood. The wire antenna, which I believe is in the rear window, is obviously totally inadequate. I can't see any reason why we could not install a regular antenna somewhere. I just might do that eventually.
    Sorry i didnt get back about this problem, It's still there, they say it's normal, i dont believe it. When I get time i'm going to bring it to another dealership.
    I've been meaning to get on here and post about this now too. As if the spring problem was enough at under 1000 miles, I just hit 1 year old in March and now in June I'm only at 13k miles and I've started to experience this shift problem when its hot.

As another poster pointed out however, its going to be next to impossible to reproduce for the dealership.

I wonder how they justify this being 'normal'.
    I dont know how we can reproduce the problem. I got it to do it for them once or twice, not as bad as it gets but i did reproduce the problem, and the keep putting it on the computer and telling me there's no problems with the car, that its normal. What a crock of [non-permissible content removed]!! I had a piece of [non-permissible content removed] plymouth tc3 once, and that had more balls when hot then my rsx. I'm going to bring it to another dealership when I have time.
  • crystlebcrystleb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 RSX with only 35,000 miles on it and the air system seems to have stopped working. It doesn't matter if it's on heat or ac and it doesn't matter how high I try to turn it up nothing comes out. No air what-so-ever. Has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to fix it? Thanks for your help!
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Did you push in the A/C and cabin flow thru air button so only cabin air is used? Set the temp guage on 69 and put it on auto,or turn up fan. After a couple of minutes,if it dosent work go to a garage you trust,it may need a recharge or have a snall hose leak.
  • ljm2043ljm2043 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, it still happens but I cannot duplicate it either and neither can the dealer.
  • mannyh316mannyh316 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 03 RSX base with 19000 miles from a private party clean title. My owner problem is when I start the car it hesitates to start it happened 10 times in the last two months maybe 3 times a week I checked and did have gas. Also today i noticed that I can feel the transmission shifting since its an AUTO i dont remember feeling that before can that be from putting cheap gas
    THANKS I APPRECIATE ANY HELP
  • ezel30ezel30 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question.

I have a 2002 Acura RSX and I can't get the darn thing out of park. I know how to do it manually, but I was wondering if anyone knew the permanent fix to this problem. And how much do you think it would cost if I took it to a dealership?
  • joekewljoekewl Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your help... when I talked to the dealer they said a recall or general repair was issued to them. So the 'shimmied' the struts and the no longer make a noise.

Thank you
  • rsx06rsx06 Member Posts: 1
    I have on 06 RSX and has 38,000 miles. I get regular oil changes every 3,000 miles and 6,000 mile tire rotation and fluid checks.
    The maintanence light goes on every once in awhile. When I get oil changes they usually reset it. It is on now, and I am wondering if considering the mileage I have, I need some other sort of maintanence. Please let me know anything I should do.
    Thank you!
  • daraderdarader Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 RSX base model. Yesterday after getting gas I noticed the flap that is typically there on all the other Honda cars I've owned is missing. Am I an idiot or has it fallen into the tank or was it never there.

The dealership didn't have an RSX to show, but pointed out other Acura models don't have the small metal flap where you put the gas nozzle in. Looking to confirm or deny if the flap exists on the RSX.

Thanks for the help.

D
  • mokinock28mokinock28 Member Posts: 1
    My 03 rsx does the same thing. It hesitates to start and i noticed if i dont have my foot compressed on the brake properly, i have to try 3 times to start the car. It Does start on the 3rd time....

also, recently I stopped at a stop sign i noticed the car "jump" forward. after that, it wouldn't go faster than 45 mph. any ideas on what it could be? I've also had regular oil changes on the car and its well maintained. :(
  • louangamathlouangamath Member Posts: 1
    when i stated my car my maintance lights came on what does this mean what should i do. i have a 2002 acura rsx..
  • apollo82apollo82 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem multiple times. Its hard to explain how to really fix it. But its basically the ignition isnt connecting when the key is engaged. Try playing with the ignition and the Trani at the same time. Turn the ignition key, turn the steering wheel too, sometimes the steering lock is an issue. Good luck