Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    You said "after a bit of suspicion" Does this mean that the tranny was giving you cause for alarm before it blew out?
       If you brought it to the dealer to have them check the transmission while the vehicle was still under warranty then you may get some more consideration from Ford as to help replacing the blown unit? If you've got any service records to that effect, bring them to Ford's attention. Try to show them that this was already a problem under warranty and possibly the dealer neglected to fix it properly...

Do you tow anything with this truck?
  • gfarlgfarl Member Posts: 2
    No - never had anything heavier than surfboards or mountain bikes. Live in southern California nice climate... I really just couldn't believe a tranny would go out that early I thought it may be that I needed a gas additive... I went to the dealer once and they said come back monday they were booked so by the time I was able to finally get back it was to late. Monday I talk to the head supervisor and if they give me an absolute no my kids and I are standing in front of the dealership with picket signs and free bags of lemons. "why pay for a lemon when you can have some for free"
  • mjkrammjkram Member Posts: 9
    I bought an '04 Lariat Supercrew 4x2 the same time you did. (Aug'04) Now that I've had it a few months there are a few minor issues I've noticed. My major problem, drivetrain vibration, was thankfully solved by installing a new driveshaft, but not before several trips to the dealer to uselessly rebalance the tires. The minor problems include window rattles. (They all took turns making noise.) Also,the power captains chairs cannot seem to find a comfortable position; I don't like that the seat back does not move with the cushion and must be adjusted separately. The tilt wheel is much more difficult to adjust than the previous model, and the design of the door makes it hard to rest your arm on the window sill with the window down. My '97 f-150 had the coldest a/c of any vehicle I've ever owned, but the '04 a/c is very suspect. Just doesn't seem to get cold enough in our Houston weather. One last thing is that the dash reflects terribly in the windshield. My '97 didn't reflect at all, so Ford didn't do their homework in this respect. Most these issues don't seem so bad after spending time with the vehicle and on balance I really like the truck. It's smooth, powerful, and looks great! I hope to happily drive it for years.
  • alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    Glad to hear that someone is happy. I can see why there might be some unpleasant surprises, it is a fresh design & probably few years downstream all the bugs would get fixed (let’s hope). I have to agree with you on some of these issues such as chairs can’t ever find a resting spot to fit me, I am normally moving them a hair forward or back. I have not had any rattles yet, but just like anything new, it is probably on its way. I’ll keep an eye on drive shaft vib you mentioned, I have not noticed it yet - just clocked 11500 miles this weekend.

As for AC, you are right there too, it is not the “coolest” in hot weather. We see the most unpleasant heat waves in Dallas/Fort Worth, probably similar to Houston. I had come across some service bulletins on this issue, but left it for next year’s research. I have placed a thermometer with a built in probe (got from Pepboys) that slides into the vent, it pretty much stays there as a clip-on type, & to my recollection in Aug/Sep it was cooling at 49/50 deg F at night or when I placed it at FULL or when I was cruising on the interstate. During stop and go traffic, it was 60 at the vent, I was not too happy about that. My Honda Odyssey’s AC does drop the vent temperature to 42 deg.

I bought this Ford because many of my friends at work have heritage model & are extremely satisfied with the performance. I did take a long trip from Texas to California in Sep, did not get tired on the long journey, it is quite a cruiser..

AL.
  • mjkrammjkram Member Posts: 9
    I also have a vent thermometer that displays temps about the same as yours. It just does not get cold like my old ('97) F150,and fluctuates by as much as 10 degrees in just a few minutes time. The A/C in the old truck actually would hurt your hand if you held it too close to the vent. I didn't have the thermometer in that one but I'm sure it was consistently near 40 degrees. Why couldn't Ford apply the a/c technology from the previous model? They already had it available! I was reading on the F-Series Problems and Solutions Page that Ford is aware some of the sensors had trouble reading temps properly and would replace the sensor. I don't know if this is true or not but I will be looking into it as the weather starts to warm up. I sure would have opted for a totally manual system like in the XLT, but apparantly that's not an option on the Lariat. Too bad. I really don't care to decide what temp to set the a/c at, I just want it colder or warmer, and that function is very easily accomplished with the manual hot/cold knob. Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive and am looking forward to driving it from Houston to Minnesota next summer. I do expect it will be a great cruiser!
  • swampdogswampdog Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 F-150 with 3900 miles and the rotors are scarred already. The dealership & Ford has said that this is normal ware so they will not fix my truck. If you are thinking about buying or already have a new F-150 CHECK THE ROTORS! Ford got stuck with a bad batch of rotors and they want stick you with the bill. I'll never buy a ford anything again.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Since when is a scarred rotor the kiss of death? I live on a dirt road and all of my rotors on all of my cars get scarred. This happens because of dirt and other debris getting in between the rotor and the brake pad.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    jrc346

I agree that a bad rotor is not enough to swear off a company. As for my rotors, I'm guessing they are warped. At 4k miles I'm hoping not to hear something from the service tech that "it happens". Buying new, IMO, means I shouldn't have to replace anything except oil the first 30k miles - maybe the brake pads,tires, or wiper blades but not the rotors.

I'll do my next oil change at Ford just so I can have them log and verify that the rotors are an issue at a stage where they shouldn't be.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Sounds like a pretty reasonable request. I hope it works!

Goodluck :)
  • kingranch1kingranch1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 05 King Ranch,(Love it) and I'm thinking about putting a tonneau on the bed. Anyone have any advice on what to look out for? I'm looking at Leer. 700 series. What should I pay?
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    I have owned all major truck brands in recent years. I have an '03 Ram reg cab 2wd now and even it feels ponderous and big on the road. The trend seems to be to bigger=better in terms of the design. Only the Toyota Tundra feels more manageable in lots and on the road, of the trucks I've owned. Question. I hear raves about the F150's better smooth ride, but is it still a big feeling truck to drive? The Ram is noisy (engine and wind at highway speeds) and a little stiff legged too with the 20" wheels.

So, any feedback on this and also real world highway mpg would be appreciated.
  • twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    I was so disappointed to find that my F-150 still has the cheaper 3-channel 4 wheel ABS system instead of the more effective 4-channel 4 wheel ABS system. I absolutely despise this system on GM vehicles as it seems to engage way too early. It appears the same way on the Ford.
    yes, the new F150 is a quiet ride, very smooth.

but it's still big and challenging when looking to park.

as for the gas milege, I can't break 15 mpg no matter how I drive it - milege could improve over the break in period.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    I had an '04 F-150 4x4 with the 4.6L V8. I averaged 17 mpg highway - that was without any cargo or passengers. I found the ride to be much smoother & quieter than the '03 F-150 I used to drive. However, it still jarred on larger bumps.

You should rent one for a day or two to really see if you'd like it. I've seen Enterprise locations with extended cabs, crew cabs, XLTs, FX4s, and flaresides.
  • larcklarck Member Posts: 22
    I have an '04 F-150 5.4L Supercab with 3500 miles on it. I can sum it up like this. Good looks for a truck, very smooth ride, somewhat poor gas mileage even when babied (12 to 15.5 mpg is my best so far)and a kind of rough idle. Overall, I like it a lot. Also, resale value should be pretty strong after four or five years if you take care of it.
    Does anyone know the specs on the Audiophile stereo in our trucks? I even went to Visteon and couldn't find one damn thing about watts or how many speakers and what not or what kind.
  • drheadrhea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Ford F-150 XLT L. and I m having a problem that I cant seem to get any help for, maybe someone can help, so here it goes. have had every sensor replaced on this truck idling sensor, EGR,EVM,Air Intake Sensor,O2 Sensor,PVC Valve,New wires, plugs,button, cap,fuel filter,and it does the same thing, it hesitates on take off, it 's like when you pull out something holds the engine back and then it lets it go, it does it in every gear, when you go up hills it starts it starts hesitating and then lets you go all of a sudden, could some one please help me with any advise. It really is getting very annoying.
  • okiequixoteokiequixote Member Posts: 1
    have a '79 F-150 4X4, bought new 400cid/auto......swapped the 400 for a 460, don't own a bank so can't afford fuel for the 460. am considering swapping the 460 for a 300....would appreciate any thoughts.........
  • fletcher3669fletcher3669 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with a vibration that seems like its coming from the rear of the truck when turning left or right from a dead stop?? Only seems to do it when the truck has been driven for awhile. Sounds like your going over a rumble strip for 1-3 seconds...
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    As a new F150 owner for almost a year now, and as a commuter, I can tell you that the truck has a very nice ride do it, as well as handling. I use to drive a 95 f150 regular cab and it felt much larger than the supercab that I have now. Parking is still an issue....hey just because it "drives" smaller does not make it smaller. But if you want my honest opinion myob, I would hold off on buying an f150 unless you need it immediately. If you take a look at this board and the problems and solution board, you will notice an increasing amount of post are spent on the vibration problem with the truck. Now when I first test drove the truck I could not believe, I almost felt like I was in a suv that had independent suspension all around. I could notice a little tremor..but for a big 4x4 it was incredible. Now, the story is not the same. I have logged aboutr 10460 miles on the truck and the suspension seems to be taking on a life of its own. Some mornings it rides wonderful, others it vibrates like there is a bent rim or tire out of round. Recently it started vibrating the truck so bad I pulled over because I thought I had a flat!! I no longer feel that this is just a few bad eggs, but a serious problem somewhere in the f150's design. Ford recently put out a new warranty on the stock tires with the truck, which causes even more paranoia. My ultimate suggestion is to stay away from this truck until the rising issue is fixed!!!
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Although bad rotors may not be enough to swear off a company, having a pair of bad ones from a 30k plus vehicle and then your local dealer refusing to recognize there is a problem or refusing to fix is a very good reason to switch brands, its called customer satisfaction.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    WOMEN AND TRUCKS. One of our journalists is writing an article about women and trucks: why they love their trucks, the decisions that they have to make when purchasing a truck versus a car, and whether or not they’ve encountered discrimination or bias when buying or driving a truck. If you’d like to share your story, please respond to jhelperin@edmunds by Sunday, March 26th. Thanks!
    How many miles on the truck? Do you have a limited slip rear end? Sounds like possibly something has worn out or needs adjustment in the differential. Sometimes it's as simple as changing the fluid, and replacing the friction modifiers.
    Have you possibly gone through some very deep water and gotten some into the differential breather tube?
    jrl,
    hey I hear you
    the most powerful thing you can do to wake up a company is walk

there are few companies that i've felt have customer service taught right - it's very short sighted to think that customer service doesn't net $$$ in the end.
  • hurrikenhurriken Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 F150XLT w/Triton RWD. I live the Chicago area so the winters can be rough. Can someone advise me on a good tire. I now have General Grabbers...might as well be ice skates. I want something that a)is practical for highway and road driving b) grips well c)looks good..a manly tire! d) decent price. So far the Firestone "destination" seems like a good one.
  • jblakleyjblakley Member Posts: 2
    I just traded my beloved 2002 Lariat Supercab for a new 2004 Supercrew. On the 2nd day I had it, the truck stalled repeatedly. I took it back to the dealer and they flashed the computer. It seemed to drive well for another 150 miles. I noticed a good amount of oil on my driveway the other day. I took it right back to the dealer and they verified a large oil leak, but need more time to find out where it's coming from. Has anyone else had this happen? The truck has only 300 miles on it. This is my 5th F150 and I am so disappointed at Ford. The dealer's been great, but the quality of this truck just sucks. I know there's really no way they'll get me out of the truck, but if it needs serious surgery, I don't want it back. I'd rather see them replace it with a new truck, since mine only has 300 miles on it!
  • jblakleyjblakley Member Posts: 2
    just an update... it turns out they have to replace a head on the engine!!! I'm amazed something like this can get through Ford's QA.
    I am not trying to defend Ford if there is indeed a quality control problem or flaw in the design of the new F-150, but I wonder if the rigidity of the frame (I think it is 9 times stiffer than the old) plus the demonstration on the Ford Truth About Trucks about deflection has something to do with causing the truck to be so prone to vibration as opposed to other vehicles that have a more "spongy" or less rigid chasis?
    I am a huge fan of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo tires. I used to have Goodyear Wranglers and then Goodyear Workhorse tires on my truck and had embarassing times when I got stuck on wet grass - snow and ice were a real terror. The Revos have amazing wet road traction, and I've sailed through two relatively bad New England winters with them. This year I didn't even have any extra weight in the bed.
  • tjackson2tjackson2 Member Posts: 19
    Can anyone reccomend a good bug shield for my 04 FX4? I bought a Dee Zee in sept 04 and it has already cracked out of the radius of one of the tabs. As per instructions, the screws weren't over tightened. thanks
  • jefftsrjefftsr Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2004 F150 CREW FX4 IT HAS 13,000 MILES, IT PRODUCES A SIMILAR VIBRATION @ TAKE OFF. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW EASY OR HARD YOU TAKE OFF, LAST FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS
    I had a Reese bug shield (2 years) and I really liked it, but my daughter banged up the front end and it broke. I get my truck back from the body shop tommorrow and they replaced it with a Lund. They tell me it looks even better. But I here Lund cost more than most. I'll let you know how I like it.

wpalkowski, thanks for the tire recommendation I will check them out.
  • mattn2mattn2 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my first F-150 in 1998, it was a 98 XL 4.2L V6 4 speed auto, after 5 years and 90K miles it didn't go to the shop one time.

I traded it for an 03 XL V6 4 speed auto which I had for 2 years and 30k miles, again never went to the shop once.

the 03 got traded for an 05 XLT 4.6 4 speed auto. I haven't noticed the wheel vibration on take off and I think I might be glad I didn't go for the bigger V-8. well time will tell. I like my F-150's
  • drchondrchon Member Posts: 3
    I have a '05 F-150 Super Crew and have had the nocking in the rear-end starting with 40 miles on the odometer. I had this "fixed" the first time, they replaced the Clutch pack. Then after 16 miles it started again. Took it back, they said they couldn't reproduce the problem, I refused to pick it up until it was fixed. They then said it was the "defective Yolk" and replaced this. After 14 miles, it started again. I am going to go back to them tomorrow and give them this info from this website to see if it can be fixed. I had a 2002 F-150 and never had 1 problem with it. I also think that I had more power than this 2005.
  • shineshine Member Posts: 20
    I don't do any towing just a little light snow plowing around my business. My question is how much will I lose with a 4.6. I'm not into off roading just driving to and from work. If the 5.4 is the way to go how much smaller is it them my current Dodge 2500 with a hemi? I can't see myself in a ranger but a F 150 with a smaller 8 should save me some gas. Any help appreciated.
  • fordysomthgfordysomthg Member Posts: 10
    I used to have an '84 F-250 with a 300 from the factory. Great truck! Would pull a house off it's foundation. It had the old borg warner 4 speed manual transmission. Wish I still Had it. Yes, it had plenty of power for moving through traffic too.
    What are you talking about bad rotors & your vehicle vibrating. Driving through deep water with hot rotors will warp them, for example. Dont blame the manufacturer for the way you drive the vehicle...if you're driving off road. Yes, 4 wheel drive is designed for off road( my friends & family do it a lot, but we know the difference in defective products & damaged products) & we are responsible for taking care of problems that we create. We aren't looking for the free ride.
    A friend that I work with is 70 years old & he paid cash for a 2004 F-150 Lariat Super Crew that now has over 40,000 miles on it. Once in a while I ride around the job site with him & also on the highway. No vibration in his truck. He loves the 300 horses & isn't shy about putting his foot in to get around the people with their head up in the clouds.He drives 36 miles to get to work @ 70 + mph.
    Rotors are not guaranteed.....by anybody. BMW techs change rotors when they change pads. Good luck with your dodge.....or chevy.........or toy.
  • rconradrconrad Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a 1991 Ford 150 Lariat with a straight 6 engine. Recently, after purchasing the vehicle from a friend, I noticed it was sputtering and acting up when I first started pulling away from a drive or a stop. It does this alot between first and second...but gradually goes away when I get it up to 30-40 miles an hour. Thing is it doesn't do this all the time. It acts like what everyone is talking about...like an o2 sensor.Which seems to be the answer...but it acts like its fighting for oxygen or gas. Kinda acts like when you are low on gas. Also, I noticed one nite as I was coming home from work, that I would see what would happen if I changed over on tanks...and it almost acted like that because there was no fuel in the other tank. Anyway, it seems to run better or starts off better when it is cold, but once it gets warmed up its doing its thing again. Like I said before, it doesn't do this all the time!!! Anyway, I sure would like some input if you have any! Anyway, I did change the fuel filter cannister under neath the frame on the driver's side and that didn't take care of the problem. Anyway, need some advice is there another fuel filter on the engine block that I don't know about!!! Would like to hear your advice!!! Thanks!!!!
    I had a 1985 F-150 that caused me similar problems for about 3 years. Many mechanics looked at it. One drove it for a week. My 16 year old son fixed it. Dropped the rear gas tank while I was at work and there was rust. I left that tank off and sealed off the hoses and never had another problem.
  • marv2marv2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 F150 extended cab Harley Davidson Series.Does any one have any performance mods that they can suggest
    see message #193. I now have a lemon. I was told by the head mechanic that after putting in shims to change the pinion angle by 1.5 degrees that there is nothing that can be done to get rid of the vibration on take off. There has been a Tech. Service Bulletin on this issue. A Ford Engineer is going to take a look at this. I am going to have to get my money back on this truck through the BBB.
    I bought an '05 Supercrew. The brochure said I could play MP3's with my 6 disc in dash player. It doesn't! I finally had them replace it with one that does play MP3's and now my DVD player will not work. Any one have the same problem?
    Just a note on the Lund bug shield.
    I liked the way the Reese looked and was reluctant when they said they were changing the broken one for a Lund. But, I have to say the Lund looks even better. The quality seems good and the screws have rubber boots that should help protect the plastic against breaking there. I did find it tough to find a place to grab the hood when I close it but thats no big deal. I have no idea how much they cost though it was covered by insurance.
  • mcali2mcali2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing happen .I changed the oil with after market brand and some 4 oz bottle of something not from ford, but a auto parts store. it started to chatter when i turned . i just replaced the oil and added the four oz bottle of friction stuff drove it a mile or so but i still have the same shutter .. is there something that can wear out ? if i did not use the correct additive? i drove it for 2 months and about 2k Miles b4 i changed the oil again .. my ford is a 01 f 150. note the chatter is not extremely bad but you can feel it. :confuse:
  • nmu_dozernmu_dozer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 f150 w/ 52000 miles on it and just replaced the complete rear end :sick: My truck started to feel like it was slipping on all turns about a month prior, started out feeling like it was just slipping off of gravel to pavement, barely noticable but got progressively worse. After having it completely apart and redone, I was shown the clutch that had been wore down to approx an 1/8" from what it was originally like a 1/4" or maybe 3/8"? Anyways, after my mechanic had been calling around to find parts he began learning more and more of these trucks are having problems....solution......change your fluid every 20000 miles and add the additive to it at the same time....Hopefully this will help, cannot afford to replace another rear end.
  • andre7280andre7280 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 F-150 5.4L with 2 wheel drive and am moving north soon. Does anyone know how a 2 wheel drive truck works in a part of the country that is covered with snow 4-6 months a year? I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 before I head up there, but they are pricey. Any help would be appreciated.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you don't have a limited slip rear diff, then your truck will be VERY skittish in the snow, even with a heavy load in the bed. I'd recommend a 4x4 (I swear by 'em here in NJ), but if you're not interested in spending the bucks for one, equip your 4x2 with a quality locking rear differential.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • fmgfmg Member Posts: 2
    i have a 89 f-150 lariet xlt. everytime i switch to the rear tank, i only get about 1/2 mile and it acts like it's out of gas, then stalls. and on the frame is a canister where 2 fuel lines enter and 1 exits. can this canister be cleaned. ? whats its purpose? any help
  • fmgfmg Member Posts: 2
    i've been thinking about changing the rear end in my 89 f-150 lariet xlt . it has a tow package, and i haul a rec. vehicle with it. would it be advised to change , just for better gas milage ?
  • monksmonks Member Posts: 1
    hi all I got an for 1989 150 XLT Lariat it has about 150k on it and is in good shape.
    the problem I have is gas millage it seem to go though my 15 gal tank like a leak.
    I get about 100 miles to perr fill up. I should be geting around 12 to 15 i think for a truck that old ?

i need any sugestions to help improve my gas millage

thanks for your time