Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    Art,

Sorry about that statement about the problem switching with the dash switch still in the front position. I got confused because we've been trying to figure this out for several weeks. When I re-read that statement, my thought was "Idiot!, that's not right!" The problem moved the rear tank with the REAR tank selected.
    That's what's been so weird about this problem. The buzzing sound moves with it also. Sounds like the tank is sucking air when selected. I was finally able to siphon some of gas out of the front tank. Didn't get it all because I ran out of places to put it, but managed to get at least 10-12 gal out.

I still haven't ruled out the reservoir/selector tank thingy. Maybe we got a bad one. It did seem to fix the problem for a couple of tanks. Everything seems to point in that direction, just haven't decided to spend the $103 again on that. (I think I've already waited too long for it to be a warranty item)

I just mess around with the problem when I have time, I don't have to depend on it for transportation on a regular basis. I am to the point where it has become a challenge, and I figure at some point the bear will come out of the closet and I can shoot him.

Since the last time I was here, we found the fuel system relay was not where it was supposed to be, it was laying on the wheelwell, (apparently the little spade thing that holds it, had broken off.) did some playing around with it and noticed a badly corroded wire which ended up breaking off. I ended up replacing the connector and the relay. Nope, it didn't help the problem.

Regards
    Ken
  • brdtrdbrdtrd Member Posts: 5
    I wish I had gotten the extended warranty to 100,000 miles when I bought my 2001 f-150 supercrew new. In my opinion, I would get it. Just Google for extended vehicle warrantys on the internet. My powersteering pump went at 55k, fuel pump at 60k, and now I have a leaking head gasket and need lower ball joints at 63k. I don't abuse my truck, mostly highway to/from work and haul the usual home improvement products. So like I said, get it because you sure don't know what the previous owner did to the truck. Hope this helps.
  • deveaux1deveaux1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello charliechan,

we encountered this very similiar problem on a 1978 Ford 150. I replaced everything related to fuel supply...from the line to the pump. To no avail.
    As well, the starter, alternator, and about 10 batteries. So with all of those variables solved it still died...Finally we replaced the battery cables with ones of a greater diameter and assured clean contacts and bam it hasn't had the problem since. So perhaps it is worth a shot to replace the battery cables with new ones..design to carry more than enough current (Amps)

Good Luck.

Stephen
  • rickt67rickt67 Member Posts: 1
    Could this be an injector doing a leakdown. When truck is left to sit for awhile, the fuel line has no pressure in it. Had oil changed and it smelled of gas. Any ideas?
  • sunnesunne Member Posts: 3
    Any advice on how to get better mileage out of my 04 super crew,? reading the probs. here I may just put it back up for sale and buy a Chevy..! :(
  • uncleal547uncleal547 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2005 F150 with a factory single cd radio in it. I bought a 6 cd factory radio on E-Bay (mistake?!). When I install it I get and "initializing" message. The radio goes through what I assume is a normal routine, head goes in and out cd trays go up and down. I press the cd load button and get a "cd error". There is only plug on the wire harness for the radio although there are 2 open connectors on the back of it, the connectors are totally different so you can't plug it into the wrong spot. I am assuming I got a bad radio.
  • curly4116curly4116 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I got a '00 F 150 auotmatic 4x4.
    just recently, when going up a slight incline going anywhere between 30and 55 mph it can't seem to make up it's mind on what gear to go into.
    Any help?
    Thanks
  • aashbyaashby Member Posts: 1
    What color are your parts. I need a front drivers fender, a tailgate, front bumper, front grill, and headlights. I need white. How much are the pieces.
  • fl_girlfl_girl Member Posts: 1
    I also have the 04 SuperCrew. I pull a boat with it. I think the gas mileage is what I expected. If I get 18 or 19 on the highway I am happy! I made sure it had the 3.55 instead of the 3.73.
    I love my truck, it is worth every penny I put in it.
  • r007obertr007obert Member Posts: 1
    I own a '03 f150 that is running great. I have never brought it to be serviced, all I have done is change the oil, oil filter and transmission fluid. It has 49000 miles on it. I am thinking of bringing it in for the first time and getting it serviced. Any advice on what would be pertinent for this first service?

Thanks for any help.
    Bob
  • hendrix24hendrix24 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys i can get a 2006 f-150 crew cab with captain chairs, and most of the bells and whistles, but i am not a ford fan, can you ford guys talk me into the f-150?
  • w9jcmw9jcm Member Posts: 1
    Ok guru's. I might pick up a local f150 it has the 300 I6 in it low miles and 4x4 with a 4 speed manual.. Custom designation. The fella told me it had a miss so his mechanic stated it was a fuel injector going bad. When we started it and let it idle then brought up the rpms I really couldnt tell much. I am just a little nervous that its maybe a cyl. going bad but I would think that miss would be way more pronounced. Does this sound like a legit problem with these engines? I am not spending tons of cash on it but It should be dependable.
  • thunderbolt1thunderbolt1 Member Posts: 1
    I also own '04 F150, I kept complaining about rear end clunking and they finally placed a shim in the rear end, the clunk is better but not gone. Also watch the transmission. I complained several times about shifting and I always was given different "BS" replies, It's the computer,It's the slip differential,We can't find anything wrong. At 11000 miles the were replacing the transmission after it started grinding in drive and locked up in reverse. :mad:
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    When you mention shifting, are you refering to the fact that it seems that it can't make up it's "mind" when climbing a hill? Mine, especially when it has a light (less than 500lbs.) load in the bed hunts for the right gear, will shift into too high a gear, load the engine up and cause a brief period of preignition before returning to a lower gear.
    Btw..I also have the "clunk"..I brought it in, asked them NOT to teflon grease the joint b/c I read that it does not work. Got the truck back, they greased the joint and it is as bad, if not worse, than it was initially.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Ford will CLOSE 8 production and 3 supplier plants? All the while, sales are anything but good. People are all ridiculing F and GM because they aren't competitive with the "other" foreign manufactures. And then they all add in this globalization stuff. Maybe they're correct but I salute the "big 3" for being so GENEROUS to their workers, as well as their respective communities. And maybe it wasn't appreciated as much as it should have been but the "New America" is going to be anything but generous. Working longer hours for LESS pay. Don't know how good you had it until it's gone, will become most apparent from here on out.
  • nmu_dozernmu_dozer Member Posts: 2
    Hi bob, I'd suggest to make sure you get the rear end checked when you take the truck in for service. I have a 2002 f150 w/ 52000 miles on it and just replaced the complete rear end My truck started to feel like it was slipping on all turns about a month prior, started out feeling like it was just slipping off of gravel to pavement, barely noticable but got progressively worse. After having it completely apart and redone, I was shown the clutch that had been wore down to approx an 1/8" from what it was originally like a 1/4" or maybe 3/8"? Anyways, after my mechanic had been calling around to find parts he began learning more and more of these trucks are having problems....solution......change your fluid every 20000 miles and add the additive to it at the same time...

Amber
  • best78fordbest78ford Member Posts: 3
    how do i convert my 1978 ford f150 into a 4wd
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    I have an `05 Lariat w/ the standard P275/65 R18 tires. I want to replace them with an upsize or two. Am having a hard time just finding standard size tires much less anything in an upsize. Has anyone else had this problem? Where do we go when our tires wear out?image
  • dynaflowdynaflow Member Posts: 1
    Like every thing about my truck but it has a noisey engine while idling. Ford has had it apart but they think it's okay. This is my 4th Ford 150 pickup with the overhead cam engines and the only bad one I have had. Ford sure has ruined my new truck experience this time. Wouldn't know where to go for a new truck, because of my GM card I had a new Chevy last year but found out those Chevy guys arn't very honest about gas mileage.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    that there is no activity on this thread. The F-150 is the best selling vehicle year after year and there is no activity here. Ford will sell about 900,000 F-Series this year--about 2.5 for every Camry sold. Oh well.
  • vandalizervandalizer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 F150 Xlt lariat as well and I just went threw the same problem. For starters if you want to change the intank pump you will have to set aside a little time for the following reasons. Although you may not have the trouble that I did with the tank it's self.

- Get your self new tank straps
    - Get new tank strap mounting bolts if needed.

Remove the - cable from your batt.
    Release all your line pressure from the high pressure pump and trip your inertia switch located in the cab on the left side of the steering column and on the firewall. You can trip this by tapping it with a screw driver.

Remove the tank.
    Remove the lock washer by tapping it counter clock wise with a screwdriver and hammer. ( You will have to replace this) New one should come with your pump. The sending unit will come right out of the tank with a few jiggles.

Just replace the pump as you took it off everything is reversed. I have been having problems with my fuel lines since this tank and pump replacement. You should get new lines if you can't take them off with ease after removing the line clips.

Good luck have fun.

Oh... If your front pump is going your back will soon be next. Thats just the way it works. :)

Hope I helped out a bit

Remove all the lines from the tank before dropping it, that will include the fill hose. Make sure your tank is empty before doing all this.
  • cereb6cereb6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 F-150 xl. It doesn't have a tach and I was wondering if I could get an instument cluster from a wrecked truck with a tach and put it in mine and if it would plug right up and if it would show the miles on my truck or the one I got it off of. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Does anyone know if Ford uses some sort of anti theft codes on their radios? If they do how do you bypass it?
    I imagine if you remove the instrument panel that you could reset the odometer to whatever you want. Why is the tachometer important--just curious.
    I'm sure it depends on the model of radio you have.
  • cereb6cereb6 Member Posts: 2
    The truck has the 4.6 liter in it and it is kinda slow so I wanted to know exactly how many rpms I was turning to get maximum horsepower when I try to pass someone. It's not really that important but I would just like to have one. Thanks a bunch for your input.
    I bought a factory Ford 6 CD radio, that was removed from another truck, on E-Bay. When I installed it I got an initializing message. When I try to load a CD it says error.
    I would bet that the "fancier" radios do have anti-theft protection. You might want to contact the seller. Hope you have not left feedback for that seller yet!
  • f150xltscrewf150xltscrew Member Posts: 1
    I JUST READ YOUR MESSAGE QUITE LATE NAD IT WAS REALLY LATE. ANYWAY, I JUST GOT MINE LAST NOVEMBER 28. IT WAS A 2005 F-150 SUPERCREW WITH 5" STAINLESS STEP BARS AND BEDLINERS. I JUST IONSTALLED 4 BACKING SENSOR AND 4 SENSOR AT FRONT. AND MY REMOTE START WITH VEHICLE SECURITY SYSTEM FROM FORD ALSO WILL BE COMING THIS MID JANUARY AND I PLAN TO INSTALLED BY FORD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. ANYWAY, WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF F150 DRIVING YOU CAN CHECK THIS WEBSITE http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/truth/index.asp?id=frame&bannerid=FV1000- 4 TO SEE HOW GREAT IS OUR TRUCK, BESIDES YOURS IS THE BEST TRUCK. JUST ALWAYS TO PUT IN MIND SAFETY IS ALL DEPEND YOU HANDLE YOUR TRUCK. HAVE A WONDEFULL YEAR :shades:
    Hey, 79customd, even for a 14 year old, this grammar is really bad.
  • bprincebprince Member Posts: 1
    I just had the local Ford dealer replace all the brake pads on my 2001 F-150. Now it won't stop right! The front brakes don't seem to be engaging - you can't make it stop quickly in forward (it will in reverse). They said that the front pads will seat in a day or two and it will work right. Should I believe them? Thanks. Bob
    I think you're suppossed to let new brake pads set in for a short time before they feel right. I hope you haven't been standing on them hoping more force would make them work properly--it might make it worse.
  • cayusecayuse Member Posts: 2
    I want to add a Sirius satellite radio unit (Starmate Replay model) to my '05 King Ranch. Two questions:
    1. Has anyone installed one in the ash tray compartment? I would like the installation to be neat, and the ash tray seems to have enough room and will allow the unit to be hidden.
    2. I found an accessory item called DPX Plus Auxilliary Input Converter (made by Precision Interface Electronics) that indicates that it is compatible with "F Series pickup radio series 868" and connects to a 20-pin connector at the headunit. Does anyone know the function/advantage of this accessory to adding Sirius radio?
    Thanks.
  • gustygusty Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've had my truck back three times since buying it a year ago, they keep telling me that they can't hear the noise.... just took it back again yesterday and they are replacing the ring & pinion assemb. I have 27K miles on mine, then to top it all off, my brother in law has an '05 and his is doing the same. I tried to convince my husband to go with toyota or nissan, or even the Honda ridgeline, but "no", he convinced me to purchase a Ford!! very disappointed with the truck. Your are not alone
  • jfaganjfagan Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I own a 04 F-150 and a 03 Expedtion. We have had nothing but problems with the rear end since we bought them. The F-150 makes a whistling noise every time you let off of the gas. We took it back and forth to the dealer 4 times in a 3 month period. After replacing the rear end twice and then the throttle body once, the noise continued and a Ford Field Engineer drove the vehicle and said the noise was normal. The rear end in our Expedition has been replaced 3 times in the past 4 months due to a loud humming in the rear end that stops when you let off of the gas. The dealership acknowledged the issue and said the rear end was about to lock up the first 2 times. The noise started again and this time the Ford Field Engineer drove the vehicle and said it was just tire noise - tire noise doesn't stop when you let off of the gas at 65 mph! I have contacted Ford directly with no resolution. We also had a technician ride with us to confirm the noise and he confessed that Ford has had so many rear end issues that it was all they worked on all day. He also said that they were trained by Ford to set the A/C on level 2 when test drivng vehicles with rear end noise. He said that they were instructed if they heard the noise over the A/C to fix it and if they don't hear it, let it go. Between the problems we have had with these two - I won't buy a Ford again.
    You guys may not be alone, but you are--unfortunately--the exception and not the rule. Ford sells 900,000 F-150 trucks every eyar. Some will have problems, most will not. Nobody ever talks about their stuff unless it breaks. Why do you think there is NO Ford activity here in Town Hall except for a few folks complaining? Because most are happy and content. No one ever goes into work and says, "Let me tell you about my television! It's a Panasonic I bought last year and when I turned it on last night to watch American Idol, it came right on!" No one ever says "When I got up this morning, my Kenmore refrigerator had held my orange juice cold overnight!" But, if either of them breaks, then you tell people about it. I'm sorry you're having problems; but, your situation is not the norm for Ford.
    "Between the problems we have had with these two - I won't buy a Ford again"

I can't blame you for thinking like that. I would caution you, however, from thinking that other carmakers are trouble free. Real life example: My next door neighbors had their second child in December. In preparation for the big event, last summer they traded their Volvo sedan on an Odyssey minivan. They could have bought a comparable equipped Town & Country for less money, but they wanted Honda quality. They did not want any problems with their family hauler. Guess what? It is--right now--in the shop for its second stint at the service department in less than 8 months. In 4 years, my Chrysler never saw a mechanic's wrench except to get routine maintenance. You get no guarantees with any vehicle. Please don't think you will be leaving all problems behind if you never buy another Ford.
  • jfaganjfagan Member Posts: 2
    I know that not buying a Ford again will guarantee no problems. We have always owned all Ford products...a Mustang, a Ranger, two F-150s, and three Explorers, and a Expedition. The Explorer I had before the Expedition had rear end problems once but after the dealership fixed it, it never came back. My biggest frustration is the lack of support from Ford - both the dealership and customer relations. I think there are alot more like me out there that are having these problems. Each time they replaced the rear end before, I had to wait weeks for the parts because they were in high demand. Now the same sound is back and all of the sudden this Ford Field Engineer steps in and says it is normal and I've basically been told there is nothing I can do about it. Thanks for letting me vent my frustration.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    One minor correction... Ford sells about 900,000 F-Series trucks, but that total includes F150 through F550. The F150 is only about 60% of that grand total.

kcram - Pickups Host
    I understand.
  • aedwards1aedwards1 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to tell you all that I own a Toyota Tundra, and I have had 12 major repair orders in three years. I have been in a rental for over one month in three years. I think you are lucky that it is only your rear end. I just bought a 2006 F-150, and all I can just say to you is that I am very proud to own an American made truck! I have always owned Toyota's, but my Tundra dropped a tranny, two diffs, three sets of brakes, four o2 sensors, front ball joints are recalled and the list goes on. Do yourselves a favor watch the new dvd put out by Ford called The Truth About Trucks...It will wake all of you guys up in a hurry. I realize now more than ever we DO need to support OUR country; even if it meens that my truck might brake down, I still support what is built and backed by our own country. Ford has made a really big effort to make the products much better, but remember they sell a lot more trucks than you think.
    Good Luck!
  • fastgm3fastgm3 Member Posts: 1
    The Auxiliary Input Adapter is the only way to go. There are several brands they all do the same thing just make sure it fit's you factory radio. I use the audio output from my Starmate Replay to AUX IN adapter and get by far a better sound than using the FM Tx. You need to purchase a stereo mini din to RCA L - R female adapter. Or if you have the home Sirius Kit one is included in it.

I'm still trying to find a clean way to mount this unit as well, which is what brought me here.
  • bigdave3bigdave3 Member Posts: 2
    pf flyer. thanks for the forum. i have been a ford man since '65; 23 units under my ownership to date. no complaints till now. just bought new 05 150 supercab 5.4. drivetrain vibration destroys the ride. Dealer claimed it was the tires. nope. changed 'm out twice. shake still there. now, third trip, dealer tech says a counter-balance weight had been added and has reduced the vibration. Scuttlebutt has it that Ford went to a new drivetrain vendor and cannot seam to produce a product that turns true. Also, the 3 valve 5.4 runs rough. Dealer is blaming it own Mother Ford with the excuse that they don't have a patch for the computer program. This sound like a lot of Hooey to me. Please advise. bigdave3
    Does it vibrate all the time, or just at certain speeds? My 2005 SuperCrew has a slight vibration at 50 to 55 mph, then is gone by 60 mph on up. Does not vibrate at slower speeds, either. Many vehicles have a point like this. My wife's uncle just bought a new Avalon and he said it vibrates a little at about 60, but then is gone at 65.
    You might want to read the current Car and Driver magazine. They name the F-150 the top pickup--up against the all new Ram and other new designs. Just shows that even when other makers try with new designs, "the king of the road is built Ford tough."
  • cdguess2cdguess2 Member Posts: 7
    Need some advice... I'm faced with the option of purchasing a new 2006 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4, or a new (last one on the lot) 2005 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4. At face value, one would think that I can cut a much better deal on the 2005 (thinking that the dealer wants to get rid of last year's model), but I'm uncomfortable with buying something that's already a year old (with commensurate devaluation). Yet another option would be to wait until October for the 2007 model. Which option is best? Should I price out the 2005 as a "used" vehicle with 100 miles on it, or what? Anyone else faced this dilemma?
  • dusti72000dusti72000 Member Posts: 1
    I am a certified ford sales consultant for Bubba Oustalet Ford in Jennings, La. The best thing to do in your situation is go with your gut. If the dealership will take off as much as $10k off of the 05, that's a great deal because your actual cash value of the vehicle will definitely be worth more than what you paid. The only thing, the 06 is brand smelling new truck new, you tell me what is it worth or is it actually worth all that money to have brand new. Put it this way, if you are going to keep your truck until the world ends, the 05 is the way to go but if you get rid of it within the next 3 years, buy the 06. Oh by the way call me if I can sell you an 06, thanks.
  • cdguess2cdguess2 Member Posts: 7
    Bought it... final price was $30,088... $10,607 off MSRP.
  • bpcatfisherbpcatfisher Member Posts: 1
    Ok, here it goes.

I bought this truck about a year ago. When I bought the truck it did not have a fan shroud so I picked one up out of a junk yard. I can't remember why I put it on but ever since I did driving down the road I'm cool, when I get into stop and go traffic it starts to heat up and eventually overheats. Long story short I have replaced the Radiator, water pump, fan, fan clutch, fan shroud, thermostat, thermostat housing, upper and lower radiator hose's, the two heater core hose's. Still overheats, so today I tried flushing the engine, and that seemed to help a little but still getting hotter than supposed to so I took off the fan shroud and that seems to have helped ALOT!
    Also yesterday when I was driving the A/C stopped blowing thru the vents and will only come out the defrost vents.
    Does anyone have any ideas????????

HELP
    BPCatfisher :mad:
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Don't have an answer on the overheat. Sounds like something's restricting airflow through your radiator. Are you sure you got the proper fan shroud for your sized engine from a F-150?

As far as the ventilation system..... Switching the airstream from the floor to the vents or to the defroster ports is done by a vaccuum actuated diverter door. The default position for the door is the defroster. When it gets stuck in the defrost position it's usually a sign that you've got a vaccuum leak. Start checking for cracked or brittle vaccuum hoses. Especially check the one that comes through the firewall to service the heating/cooling system. It tends to get brittle right at the firewall. Also check those little "T" shaped vaccuum connectors - sometimes they'll be cracked, but you can't see it until you actually touch them.