Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2003 through 2005

Comments

• varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    I think that the Pilot will become the new oppotunity to gouge. Many folks who were going to buy an Ody will look the Pilot instead, thus demand for the Ody will drop a bit. Also the new production facility for the Ody will increase supply. It's simple supply and demand. Supply is going up and demand is going down at about the same time. The only reason for the Pilot to attract gouging, is the fact that it's a brand new vehicle.

I'm expecting pricing for an LX to be about 26-27K. The EX will probably be 31-32K. Honda is probably thinking that they don't want/need to offer a 4cyl nonAWD version. A stripped Pilot would interfere with the CR-V and the CR-V can already be used as leverage against a 4cyl
    Highlander.

The internal size of the Pilot (as compared to the MDX) may be a matter of how you measure it. When people think "bigger", they tend to think "length". That's only one dimension. For example, many reviewers of the Ford Escape have remarked that the Ford is "smaller" than the CR-V. Though when you look at the specs, the Escape is taller, wider, and heavier than the Honda. So the same could be true here. The Pilot may be taller of wider than the MDX, but, since the length is less, they'll call it "smaller".
  • shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    in your Suv's. Anyone have any idea what other colors to expect...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Never happen.

Bob
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    I like it.......BMW uses it a lot......
    and a (cool) gray are standard fare for just about every car company, as far as interiors are concerned.

Bob
  • shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    for the interior of an SUV. I mean beige cloth. When I saw the seats folded down of the Pilot and the beige interior, I said to myself, that area will never stay clean. I use to have an Accord with the beige cloth interior and found out real quick how bad things can get, especially with young kids. So if the loading area is the same beige cloth, just imagine how fast it can be destoyed. Especially when Honda doesn't usually offer you multi colored choses for interior. Ex. If that's the interior that is the one for Red, you can forget about getting the Red Pilot.

Does anyone know what other exterior colors will be offered for the Pilot?
    we know of Red for sure. ;)

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Probably whatever colors the 03 MDX will be offered in. Since they are made in the same plant, they tend to use similar colors. Although currently the MDX is offered in black but the Ody isn't in North America. It's available in black in Japan as per this:

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/lagreat/exterior.html

As for the beige interior, you could say the same for almost any vehicle - it's going to get dirty no matter what.

• h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    thanks
    First article I've read that mentions a price and a credible source. Sorry, can't link directly due to character limit.

http://www.autoweek.com/carnews/index.mv

Thanks to TheRacoon for finding this one.

• hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    In my eyes, one big drawback of the MDX is that it requires premium gasoline. Small change perhaps, when you're paying more than $35k for the vehicle, but still a concern.

Will regular be recommended for the Pilot? Probably a difference of less than $3.00 per fill up, but still something that might make a difference to me.
  • stangeljstangelj Member Posts: 74
    Click on the pictures in the attached link to get some larger versions than what we've seen elsewhere.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020107na-7.htm

These are available on the hondanews.com site but only to the press.

As for gas, I thought I read in one of the articles that the Pilot would run on regular, which is why everyone is speculating it will use the Ody engine.

• canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Width, or the excess of it, is my primary concern. I was hoping it would be narrower than the MDX, but from the early information, that seems unlikely. The MDX's width was one reason (its price was also stretching my automotive budget) I didn't really consider it. The pilot may solve the budgetary problem, but the width...
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    There were several reasons why I didn't go with the MDX, and width was certainly one of them.

I really like the Pilot, and think it will be a huge success. I am also pleased with the appearance. To me, it looks like an evolution of the CR-V in front, and the Passport from the A Pillars back. It is very well executed. Much less Minivan-looking than the MDX.

The large photos in the link above show a very attractive, well laid out dashboard, and a very versatile interior. 2 rows of 60/40 split benches is a BIG plus for hauling a combination of people and cargo! It's hard to believe that such a large interior is contained within it's trim looking exterior...must be a trick of the eye.

If only my garage doors were a little wider!
  • spartanman2spartanman2 Member Posts: 61
    Next summer/fall the new Accords are coming out and are likely to be hot selling; another MSRP vehicle. Between the Pilot, CRV, Odyssey, MDX (Acura) and Accords for 2002...Honda is in store for a great sales period as they sticker the consumer, plus some.
  • 4apexs4apexs Member Posts: 36
    from www.collegehillshonda.com

LX Standard Features
    - 3.5L VTEC SOHC V-6 Engine
    - VTM-4 (Variable Torque Management 4WD) Full-Time 4-Wheel-Drive with electronically locking rear differential
    - 5-Speed electronically controlled automatic transmission
    - Front independent strut-type with "L" arm, gas-pressurized shocks and stabilizer bar suspension
    - Rear Independent multi-link with trailing arm, gas-pressurized shocks and stabilizer bar
    - Variable Power Assist Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    - 4-Wheel disc brakes with 4-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) and Electronic brake distribution
    - Towing Capacity 3,500 lbs. (4,500 lbs. with boat)
    - 8 inches of ground clearance
    - All-steel unit body with passenger safety cell construction
    - Dual side impact door beams
    - Dual-stage/dual-threshold front airbags
    - Driver Side Airbag
    - Passenger Side Airbag with Occupant Position Detection System
    - Three-Point seatbelts with pretensioners
    - LATCH child seat anchor system
    - 8 Passenger Seating
    - 60/40 split second and third row seats
    - Flat cargo floor
    - Widest track in its' class
    - AM/FM/CD/Cassette Stereo with 7 Speakers
    - Multi function center console with storage bin, cell phone cradle, 12-volt power outlet, CD rack, and 2-position cup holder
    - 2nd-row activity tray with cup holder and storage
    EX Standard Features (adds to LX)

EX-L Standard Features (adds to EX)
    - Leather Interior

EX-L RES Standard Features (adds to EX-L)
    - Rear Entertainment System

EX-L NAVI Standard Features (adds to EX-L)
    - Satellite-Linked Navigation System
  • 4apexs4apexs Member Posts: 36
    Check "Pilot homepage" at www.collegehillshonda.com
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    #203 (Pilot Size..... by shellymeister2)
    Not sure if comparison was made between MDX and Pilot or other SUVs, but Honda can keep the exterior smaller by using a shorter nose (and looks like it in the pictures). This would in turn help increase interior volume.

Compared to MDX, Pilot is boxier, that would add to interior volume as well. Notice how rear hatch slopes on MDX compared to Pilot, as well as the sides. Just a thought.

#214(regular gas? by hayduke01)
    Looks like Pilot would share the engine with Odyssey, which runs on regular gasoline.
    The above specs look about right. However, it doesn't mention Home Link Transmitter I see in one of the interior (RES) pictures posted at wieck. The map-light/Home link/sun glass holder combo looks like that in Accord EXV6. This is not mentioned in the above list of specs.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    That's the second article I've seen that mentions that you can get the DVD entertainment system on the EX, or the navigation system on the EX, but not both.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Even wider than the MDX's? Or is MDX consider a different class? Can the 2 have different track width if they share the same platform/chassis?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    You gave us the link and copied the text anyway.
    I'm sure the Pilot and MDX have the same track width. So I'm guessing they're differentiating between the regular SUVs and the luxury ones.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And I have to ask you to repost the link, stangelj, without the text. Posting articles from other sites is a copyright violation and could cause us trouble. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any notion of prices for the Pilot? I would guess that is is priced similarly to the Toyota Highlander (which I see as its only logical competitor)
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    There's an article at http://www.autoweek.com that contains this quote:

Honda COO Tom Elliott, speaking after the Pilot's unveiling, said the vehicle will be priced between $25,000 and $30,000.
  • formy3kidsformy3kids Member Posts: 40
    My husband and I are interested in the new Pilot. Does anyone know what the leg room is between the second and third row seats? We looked at the MDX and it was to tight with 3 growing kids. We want to stay away from a mini van, been there, done that. The Pilot is my dream car! Love the DVD player. Also, any measurements (inside or outside) would be very helpful! Thanks
  • SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    A couple of things I noticed from the dashboard picture:

They are not using the same in-dash CD changer that is used in the Acura models. The setup looks like a single-CD player as part of the stereo head unit, with a separate CD unit (changer?) lower in the center console. I wonder why they don't just use the same in-dash CD changer they have in Acuras, which includes 6-CD changer, radio and cassette.

Environental looks like automatic climate control, with the one dial to control temperature, and two buttons to manually control fan speed. This is similar to Acura models (except MDX).

Look for the Navigation system to fit in the space where the climate control/extra CD unit is now. On some Acuras (not the MDX), when Nav is installed, it also includes controls for climate on the same touchscreen.

Emergency brake is the pedal-type, operated by left-foot. No funky dash console brake lever like the new CR-V. :(
  • crv6crv6 Member Posts: 10
    Looking at the audio system - it appears to be a variation of the honda/acura in-dash 6 cd changer:
    www.hondasuv.com

Look at the bottom row of buttons - they select the current cd
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I know width gets you more stability, when the center of gravity is high, as in the Pilot. But it seems that Honda, Toyota, Chrysler et al are designing their newer vehicles with total disregard for the typical 2 car garage size. We have a tough time fitting a Odyssey and Accord in the garage, not to mention it's almost impossible to get out from the car.
    Gas - The 99-01 Ody requires premium fuel, but the recently redesigned engine (2002) does not. More power, better emissions, and cheaper fuel. Not a bad design.

Track width - I suspect that Honda does understand the concerns of garage owners, but, since the media has created a circus concerning rollovers, they have a greater need to assure the public that they are addressing that issue. Your life being more important than your parking... or something like that.

Spyponder - The top CD slot probably accomodates multiple disks. The bottom slot is for the optional DVD system.

Formykids - Nobody has had a chance to sit in one yet. The details are just hitting the presses right as we type.
    why Hummers are so wide? It's to keep them from flipping.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...does not require Premium fuel. Use of Premium rather than Regular exacts appx 5 addtional HP from the engine. Otherwise, no need for premium.

The 02 engine puts out 240 HP on regular - not too shabby at all. I don't know if use of premium increase HP.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    If the Pilot needed premium it would certainly be a big disadvantage as the 270HP Envoy/Trailblazer I-6 engine runs on regular. Can't imagine Honda would shoot itself in the foot doing that.
  • doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    "We have a tough time fitting a Odyssey and Accord in the garage, not to mention it's almost impossible to get out from the car"

has anyone tried this? after we found out a nice position and comfortable positions of fitting in two cars in our garage. i hanged a string with a big knot at the end and let the knot touches the nose of my truck. so next time when i drive in, once i hit the knot right in front of the driver side (about 1/3 of the width) i know i am there.
    It's to keep them from flipping.
    Thats not the main purpose. The main purpose is to give it extra ground clearence, to do that they put all the driveline components inside the cabin instead of underneath the vehicle for protection and so the vehicle wouldn't be too tall. So they had to make it wide so the driveline would fit inside the cab.
    hivc is correct. That driveline configuration is also the thing that demands independent suspension. The width is actually an undesirable trait in the Hummer as they take up lots of space in the cargo hold of an airplane. It also makes squeezing between trees an issue.

Though I doubt Honda had either scenario in mind when they designed the Pilot
    Three main reasons for using independent suspension, IS. Ground clearence, GC, off center hubs for more GC, and CTIS. IS gives you more GC than solids axles. By using IS they could put in off center hubs that give the Hummer more GC, almost two times more power and torque and CTIS.
  • You're totally right about the 99-01 Odys not requiring premium fuel. Besides the difference in horsepower, though, there is another reason you many want to use premium anyway.

The Ody's engine uses anti-knock sensors to detect knock and then adjust the engine timing to prevent it. Using regular gasoline in an Ody does cause knock, but sensors can detect it and adjust for it. Personally, I'm not comfortable relying on a sensor to prevent potential engine damage in order to save a little money on gas. I'd rather pay a little more (if I can afford it, that is) and have the extra peace of mind.

Ty
    h1vc - Well, if want to get technical... =)

Robr and tyguy - I remember reading about the use of premium when the 2002 changes hit the press. I don't recall the source, but they said something about soccer moms not liking to pay for premium with the earlier models. I just assumed that it was required. My bad.
  • vandeley99vandeley99 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what Honda has against side-curtain airbags? I'm not referring to driver or passenger side air bags, but those that deploy from the ceiling and cover all side windows. Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW have had these for years. You can even get them on Ford Explorers, but no Honda or Acura cars or SUVs have them. I'm very concerned about side impact accidents with kids sitting in the back and am very disappointed that Honda is only providing side airbags for front seats. Even though their cars have 5-star side impact ratings, lack of these devices greatly increases the chances of head injuries in such accidents.
    Speaking of Hummer, I was once watching "Junkyard (super) Wars" on TLC, and the expert was one from Hummer design team. In his opinion, a squarish design with a short wheel base makes for a good off-road design. It also provides stability.
    Said that, I can see that Honda is trying to use a similar concept, if not for off-roadability. Wider track may not necessarily mean wider than every SUV in the class. MDX and Pilot use the shortest wheelbase of all vehicles that share the platform (Accord coupe 105.3", Accord Sedan 106.9", CL 106.9", TL 108.1", Odyssey 118"). Plus, wider track (not necessarily wider body since Hondas tend to have wheels flushed with the body) would make them more stable.
    Everything you guys say makes sense. However, a by-product of all that width is also a greater resistance to flip.

Bob
    Honda didn't introduce side airbags until most others did, but when they did, it was not just another door or seat mounted airbag that would activate on impact. They installed sensors to evaluate occupant weight, height and seating position to determine to activate or deactivate them. If you sit in a Honda with side airbag, too close to the door or with your hands on the door, you'd see that the side airbags on your side would be deactivated. If you weigh less than whatever pounds, than also it will be deactivated. This is to prevent injuries from airbags.

These safety devices are only as good as the amount of protection they deliver. This is not to say that Honda would not add side curtain airbags in future, but I'd say that even without them, it is all how things work together.

I remember reading about first side impact crash tests for Odyssey, where it was rated five stars even without side airbags. And these vehicles (Odyssey, MDX and obviously Pilot) share a very strong chassis design (Honda calls it ring structure) to protect the occupants. That is why MDX and Odyssey are rated among the safest vehicles in the market today (atleast going by crash test ratings).
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    The MDX is a better buy and better looking vehicle. Once the Pilot starts production the MDX should come down in price at the Acura Dealers. If they take $2,000.00 of the base MDX list price it would be only $3000.00 more than the top EX Pilot. The MDX gives you an extra year on the warranty and 14,000 miles additional miles.
    I think vandeley was more concerned about the head injuries involved in an accident, which could be alleviated by side impact air bags, not just the overall safety of the vehicle.
  • vandeley99vandeley99 Member Posts: 3
    Diploid is correct. My concern is about head injuries in side impacts. The NHTSA which issues side-impact ratings that everyone sites, specifically states that "Head injury is not measured in these tests. " (Check http://www.nhtsa.org/NCAP/Info.html#iq10). If you've ever seen side impact accident scenes, you know what I'm talking about.

RobertsMX is quite correct about the superior designs on the other Honda air bags. But this only further baffles me about their not including side-curtain ones at all, even as expensive options.

Does anyone know of any way of giving Honda feedback on this issue?

• bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I have to disagree with people who think that "once demand calms down from the initial excitement, they'll be able to get a Pilot for less than MSRP". Fahgetaboutit. The Odyssey is in it's 4th year of production and there is still wait times little price negotiation in most markets. At the local dealership, they still sell them off the truck. Why? Damn good product at a damn good price.

If the pricing is correct at $25-$30k, the same thing is going to happen. Think about it. 240hp, seating for 8, largest cargo space in a midsize SUV, 20 mpg. There's alot of Expedition/Tahoe/Durango owners who don't need towing or offroad capacity who would die for a product with Honda quality. None of those vehicles have decent 3rd row seats either. And they all sell for WAY more money. Plus at those prices, you'll get a vehicle with great resale value.

Another reason for buying the Pilot over the MDX is the roof rails vs the MDX's embarressing rack on the Touring Edition. The small width and space between cross bars is not so great for those folks that carry long items like touring kayaks, surfboards, etc. The full length rails on the Pilot lend themselves well to adding Thule and Yakima rack systems. Question: Does the rack come standard on the LX and EX versions or it like the Odyssey where you only get the roof rails on the EX? (On the LX, you have to get the dealer installed rack).

And yes, I'm one of the few people that thinks that Honda does the right thing by leaving out the cross bars. People who really use racks regularly will go with aftermarket cross bars as mentioned above.

Another reason to favor the Pilot is likely to be space. The squarish body should make for more cargo space, an important reason for buying a SUV (for some folks).

Finally, while I like the looks of the MDX, I prefer the front end of the Pilot. IMHO, the front end of the MDX looks a bit odd with the headlights mounted so high. Just a personal style issue thing.

Honda should take the MDX more down the sport route. More horsepower

Here goes the debate between the Pilot and MDX.......
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The Pilot will be selling above, or at best at MSRP for a long time depending on where you live. Honda always keeps supply tight on these product and they know people who love Honda will pay whatever they ask.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Anybody have actual dimensions yet to compare with MDX and Ody etc? The pix (and styling that looks like an update of the 1st gen. Cr-V...but with a proper tailgate!) make it look smaller than it probably is. Honda says it will be the lightest vehicle in its class....hard to believe, as the MDX is somewhat of a porker. Too much vehicle for me but it looks like thay've done a good job.