Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2003 through 2005

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Here is a sketch of the seating arrangement...

http://osx.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2001/12/13/WKA2001121352042_pv.jpg

As for comfort level in the third row, it might be a little tighter than Odyssey since some of the vehicle's length will go into its longer nose. For that matter, I wouldn't like to travel in the third row of Suburban for couple of hours either.

And here is a teaser pic of Lexus GX470...

http://osx.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2001/12/17/WKA2001121739500_pv.jpg

Looks like a small size alternative to Sequoia but with the same engine, probably in the low 40's.

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    If you guys visit the "Kia BL" (SUV) forum, both the Kia and the Lexus look very similar to each other.
    Well here's the actual link to the picture (courtesy of bluewinds)

http://bbs1.adwars.com/read.php?table=mildbreeze&no=218

Note: it takes a while for the web page to load.

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I am not getting the new Altima next year. That SUV looks VERY good. I like this Toyota/Lexus.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2001/december/20011217_dai_sun.xml

"Honda says it expects to be able to produce no more than about 100,000 of its new Pilot sport-utility vehicles in 2003, The Wall Street Journal reported, because of brisk sales of its Odyssey minivan and Acura MD-X sport-utility vehicle."

"The Pilot goes into production at that factory in spring 2002, and will arrive in showrooms next summer, the story said."

• jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    i hope the pilot gets the same integrated roof rack as the crv, easy to install or take out for less noise
  • sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    http://www.hondanews.com/

I just joined the Town Hall and am amazed at how much info there is here. I am looking forward to the Pilot, and have been watching this Honda press site for info and pics. But there is information everywhere it seems. Hopefully it won't be bigger than the MDX. With Honda's reputation for environmentally smart ideas, I can't see them putting out a Tahoe/Expedition sized vehicle.

Hope they also make the rear window a working one, like many of the other SUVs.

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the Town Hall, sjwsmw!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    I will be attending the Detroit Show on Jan 12, and I hope I will be able to report 1st hand about the new Pilot. I was at the Detroit show that introduced a prototype version of the MDX 2 yrs ago (which was only 7/8 actual size). I hope they don't do that again. MSN Carpoint's site will probably post some actual photos at least a couple of days before I get there-so you guys will at least get a look at it. If the version they show in Detroit is close to full production, then I will try to sit in it if I can convince the powers that be. (I've been successful in the past- I sat in the new '99 Odyssey in April 98.)
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Diploid - 100K sounds about right. The "wildly successful" CR-V sold less than 67K in its first year. The 2nd year of sales was 100K. It wasn't until 1999, that Honda sold 120K. The first year of the new Ody was about 77K. Mind you, the economy was better back then. I suspect that initial demand for the Pilot will be high, but not enough to sell out their entire production run.
    Shelly - Bring that camera anyway. The publishers always get the overview photos, but not the nitty gritty stuff we like to see. =) Good luck and have fun.
    Would you have rather seen Honda badge the Passport replacement as "Horizon"?

Honda Horizon probably was Passport's name in Japan, because I remember seeing it once at Honda's JDM website. I also remember it being powered by a 3.0 liter diesel as an optional engine. I don't think Honda sells it anymore.
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Thanks........
    Can't do it here in the states. That name is owned by Plymouth. It was the sister car to the Dodge Omni.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I wouldn't want to use any name that would even remotely remind people of that particular Chrysler crap on wheels anyway.
  • SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    I learned to drive in my brother's POS Plymouth Horizon. I think the go-karts at the local fun park went faster, but it got the job done!
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    My mom traded in a '71 Ford LTD Brougham for a more "fuel efficient" Chevette. But then she had to have power brakes, power steering, automatic transmission, and air conditioning. After all was said and done she got 13 MPG out of the Chevette compared to the 17 MPG from the LTD.

My sisters and I used to joke that the Chevette went from 0-60 mph in 5 days. :D
    My sister had an Omni and brother owned the horizon. I learned to drive in a five speed diesel Rabbit (surprisingly peppy). We were quite the hatch-happy family at the time.
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the price range? I'm guessing $25ish for the LX up to $33 or so for the top of the line EX with leather. Does that sound about right?

My wife drives our '00 CR-V but even with one child, it's starting to get cramped. I'd like to move up to a pilot as soon as they are rolling off the line.
  • hoxendinehoxendine Member Posts: 11
    Just read where Honda intends to sell 70,000 Pilots in the first 6 months of sales, for an annual rate of 140,000. That is more than the current sales rate of Ody's, but they are also planning to increase capacity in Alabama to 150,000.
    I suspect that demand for the Ody will drop a bit when the Pilot is introduced. A lot of the dads who are being forced into a mini-van by the need for extra seating, will drag their wives over to the Pilot brochures.

I'm expecting 27-31K. It looks like a lot of truck for 25K. Even the new CR-V can go as high as 23K and they may bring back a more expensive SE model pushing it to 24-25K.
    I am not crazy about the "Pilot" name, I hope they change it prior to release. If not, maybe instead of an SE trim, they'll market a version aimed at aging baby boomers: the Honda "Pilates" ;)
    Maybe the Pilot is somehow related to the soon-to-be released Lincoln Aviator?

I don't like the Pilot name, either. I don't know why, but it just doesn't have the same aura as, say, Odyssey, Navigator, Expedition, or even Passport.
  • canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    I think 'Pilot' would suite something more CR-V like. It's just a little too 'soft' - if you know what I mean. Mid to full-sized SUV's should have names that SOUNDS 'big'. BUT - I have to give credit where credit is due. I'm REALLY glad Honda didn't use yet another alphabet-soup name. [Like MDX, CR-V, TL or RL, etc.]

Here are some suggestions. Honda - are you listening?? :o)

Honda Pioneer
    Honda Acrobat
    Honda Hercules
    Honda Advantage
    Honda Emotion
    Honda Hurricane
    Honda Independent
    Honda Rhapsody
    Honda Runabout
    Honda Signature

[Amazing what one can do when they've got nothing but time AND a brand new dictionary!!] lol

Personally - I think 'Acrobat' and 'Advantage' sound pretty good. [if I may say so]

How 'bout you?? What do YOU think??

Craig!! :o)
    Come on, this vehicle is designed to carry your kid's soccer team through suburbia, not swing on the trapeze... ;)

Since Odyssey seems to work for most, how about continuing that theme:

Honda Iliad
    Honda Marathon
    Honda Olympus
    Honda Delphi

I'm sure some of you Greek mythology buffs can come up with some more...
    MAV

Goes well with CRV.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You guys need to visit the Subaru boards. At last count we had well over 100 name possibilities for the upcoming Subie pickup to be announced at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show.

The smart money is on "Baja."

Bob
    How about just calling it, "better than the toyota"? It has nice ring, don't ya think?

<<duck>>
    Subie is reintroducing a pickup truck? will it have a couple of jump seats in the back like the last one?
  • junaidjunaid Member Posts: 18
    I almost bought the Land Rover Freelander until the Pilot caught my attention. Since Pilot would have similar price as the FL(hopefully), I am wondering whether I should hold my purchase till next summer. I understand the Pilot is much bigger and has more power but will it match FL's off-road ability?
    I doubt it - the Pilot isn't going to be designed for any sort of serious off-road action.

But would you really do any serious offroading in a Freelander?

For the money, I'd rather have the space, comfort and reliability, not to mention enough off-road ability to get me through any normal situation (dirt roads, snow) that I might get myself into.
    How about the Atlas?

A road map, and also a Titan that held up the sky.
    A *concept* was shown at the LA Auto Show a couple of years ago. It's a 4-door crew cab, and based on on the Outback. The prototype had a fold-down midgate, just like the Chevy Avalanche. The Show truck was called the ST-X. Obviously it's a "lifestyle" truck, aimed at outdoorsy folks, and not a work truck. And... no jump seats in the bed.

The production version will be shown next month at the Detroit Auto Show, and will be in showrooms next fall. It will have both the 2.5 H-4 and 3.0 H-6 as engine choices.

Bob
    Here it is: ST-X
    I like what Subie has in mind, but I think the low angled, protruding overhangs really make the car look dopey. If they could shorten it by several inches, it might even be cute.

BTW- did you guys read what Edmund's wrote about the Impreza's front fascia? The writer said something like it was enough to scare small children. It's a new review on the home page (anyone else notice how fast they're churning out car reviews all of a sudden?).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link to the Impreza review, for those who want to leave the Honda world for a few minutes :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    The ST-X is a bit over the top in terms of styling, but then again, "concepts" are supposed to push the envelope a bit in terms of looks. I'm sure the production version will be toned down a bit.

I agree about the overhangs. Not sure much can be done about that since it's Outback-based.

Bob
  • jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    I read on the car connection's preview for the detroit and LA shows that they will be showing a concept that will be some type of joint project of GM and Subaru. I think it said that GM was finally bearing the fruit of it's investment in Subaru with a new concept. That's not this ST-X is it? The reason I wonder is that it also said GM would be showing an Avalanche-type concept off of the new Trailblazer with the midgate, etc. and that it would be shared with Isuzu.
    It's a different, and larger vehicle, to debut around 2004 or 2005. It will be a 7-passenger vehicle that will be offered under both Subaru and some yet to be disclosed GM nameplate. It will be larger than the Legacy, and will be a completely new vehicle.

Bob
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    tested a MDX yesterday, would have to wait (cincinnati dealer) till april. If the Pilot will have more interior room, then went with the pilot

First on the least at local honda dealer
    Pilot EX W/ NAV, Leather, roof rack Dealer will call rep and get any info. No ordering info yet
  • murocflyermurocflyer Member Posts: 20
    For some reason Honda's family vehicles (mini-vans) names are mirroring their off-road ATVs. I wonder why?
    Visit the temple of VTEC to see pictures of Honda's new 7-seater.

What's interesting is that if you look at the seating for the 3rd row, the passengers actually have a moderate degree of seating height (i.e. passengers don't sit with their knees to their chest a la Chevy Tahoe). Although leg room looks adequate for small children only. And it doesn't look as if it folds flat, more like folding forwards against the back of the 2nd row.

I think this is how the 3rd row in the Pilot will be like.
    can you provide a link to the pictures you discribe? Any other pictures please let me know

getting the first of the production scares me a bit, look at the MDX boards, but i think honda will do it right, they didn't have any problems with the ody when it first came out.
    This is the interior of the Mobilo. Look under the front edge of the third row and you can see the hardware that allows the seat to fold.

Unfortunately, you cannot see the same hardware in the Pilot sketches.

• storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    The shifter is on the dash of the Mobilo, as it is on the revised CR-V. Trend?
    Honda has been putting shifter on-dash for a few years now. Here are more examples of the same from www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup

Avancier
    Avancier is based on Accord and is available with the same engines as American Accord with AWD option. The 3.0/V6 pumps out 215 HP however, and is mated to a 5-speed automatic with SportShift however.
    Odyssey
    The JDM Odyssey is similar to the first generation American Odyssey and sold with a choice of American Accord engines: 2.3/I-4 (150 HP) or 3.0/V6 (210 HP) with AWD option.
    A number of Civic-based vehicles have the dash shifter as well (The Stream and Si come to mind). I wouldn't have been surprized if the '02 CR-V had it.
    I'm surprised that it doesn't have it. Actually it sort of does; it does protrude from the dash, just not the center like the others do.

Bob
    WHat do you think the colors will be--similar to the ody, or additional ones?

features and options--any idea what will be offered? eg. will nav like the ody and MDX

It's hard to wait till detroit auto show
    any more links, pictures, specs etc.
    Any HOnda Dealers looking at this go ahead and chime in ......
  • jjaggersjjaggers Member Posts: 9
    What I am most interested in is the size. Length and width. It's a Honda so everything else will be fine, I just don't want something too big.

JJ