Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What's my classic worth?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's pretty rare. A seller would have to have a boatload of documentation, and even then it wouldn't be a very easy car to sell. Requires a very special buyer who probably wants "all the Yenko types" in his collection; otherwise, I don't know who might be interested. I saw one at auction but I don't recall if it ever sold.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    When I was in the tool business, a So. Calif Chevy dealer had a lot full of Cosworth Vegas that he couldn't give away.

Remember those?
  • Options
    Yeah, they have some value...not great, but way more than a Vega. They can be pretty neat little cars if they are set up right. It would be an interesting collectible.
  • Options
    boombotz24boombotz24 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm trying to find out the value of a 1977 Chevy Impala. My grandmother recently passed away, and left the car to my brother. He would like to sell it. The car is brown. V8 engine. 81k original miles. In great condition. Can anyone give me a roundabout figure of its worth? I've been on a few different sites, and found conflicting answers. Thanks!
  • Options
    Depends greatly on condition. If it is very clean, no dents, good paint, clean interior, runs well, no repairs needed, I'd figure in the range of $2,000 to $3,500 would be about right.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,689
    just out of curiosity, which V-8 does it have? That year you could get a 305-2bbl with 145 hp or a 350-4bbl with 170. Also, is it a coupe or sedan?

Shifty, I know that with older cars, like 50's, 60's, and earlier 70's, there would be a premium on a 2-door car, and also on a bigger engine. But by the '77 style, would it make much difference? I guess the era of coupes being worth a lot more than sedans pretty much ended once they quit making 2-door hardtops. Which on the Impala, I believe, was 1974.
  • Options
    That's correct. The price guides pretty much lump 2 and 4 doors together by the late 70s, as coupes had very little distinction or prestige by that time. Basically cars like this have "bottomed out" so body style and equipment don't much matter. A little but not much.
  • Options
    janellejjanellej Member Posts: 3
    My dad has a 73 beetle, in nice shape and was looking to maybe sell it. He was told by a guy that it is worth $13,000 that seems high to me I think. I was wondering if anybody can give me input. Last week he bought a 77 vw beetle convertible and was mayb looking to sell his 73.
  • Options
    Basically cars like this have "bottomed out" so body style and equipment don't much matter. A little but not much.

Yeah, it's a great market for guys like me who actually LIKE cars from this era! But not so hot for people who tried to hold onto and preserve these things from day one, hoping to make a fortune someday.

I still remember when the '77 Impala and other big GM cars debuted. They may not seem like such a big deal today, but at the time, they just made everything else on the market at that time look obsolete. My Mom had a '75 LeMans at the time, which was all curvy and swoopy, round headlights, and a bit of a beak, and painted up in kind of a clashy, grating persimmon/bronze-ish color. It looked positively old fashioned compared to something like a '77 Impala in the right color, although to be fair, in '77 you could still get some pretty awful colors if you chose to do so! I wanted my Mom to trade in that LeMans on an Impala soooo bad.
  • Options
    Probably why you remember the '77 as somewhat innovative is that the American cars prior to it were so bad in their styling that really anything different looked quite refreshing. I remember the mid-70s as really the pits in domestic auto design, with absurdities like the '75 Eldo etc and those very clumsy Ford designs of the time. So yeah, the later GM styles were quite noticeable in breaking away from a real rut. Of course, the 80s saw the aero styling we have today, so the late 70s car now look very dated to us. Even the late 80s "wedge" designs look dated to us. The "melted ice cream" look seems to be the one everyone prefers in the 21st century. And I'm sure we'll get tired of that. I already see a trend to the "stretched skin" design, the "muscular" look that you see in BMWs, Volvos, Audis, etc.
  • Options
    We'd need to know if it was a convertible or sedan, and whether a "show car" or just a clean car that is driven regularly, in order to give you acccurate values.
  • Options
    It is a sedan, and is a very clean car driven regularly. 106,000 miles. new paint job, new carpet, mag wheels. I think the color is canary yellow. Next time I go down to see them I will take my camera and take a few pics. It will be a few days though.
  • Options
    For $13K it would have to be something like a show car, "Cal Look" with custom features, hot rod engine, sport seats, super sound system, etc. If it's just a clean stock '73, I think more like $8K. It really depends on how much $$$ was put into customization. Just a plain bug doesn't attract too much money.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Looking at completed auctions on Ebay, I couldn't find a 1973 sedan that went for much over $5000. Of course, that's Ebay, but it sure make me wonder what mister $13,000 was smoking...
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing, I think dad just wanted me to check it out. I am sure it is only worth about maybe $4000. Thanks you guys!
  • Options
    Depends on how nicely it was restored and or customized. The VW market is totally weird. If the car was gone through top to bottom, $4,000 would be too cheap. If it's a mixture of old and new, with nothing special on it, maybe that's realistic.

But $13K is money you'd pay for a pretty spectacular VW bug.

I might add, however, that '73 models are not particularly desirable unless they are cabriolets, so without the "Cal look" and lots of $$$ custom parts, it's probably not a high dollar car.
  • Options
    I was wondering that about the '73s - sure wasn't a good year for most any car (bumpers, EPA, low hp, etc.) - I can't imagine VW escaped.
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the '73 is a Super Beetle, so it's automatically a less desirable VW, in the eyes of enthusiasts at least---and only a VW enthusiast is going to pay top dollar for old VWs. It's a rather niche market once the prices go over a few thousand dollars.

The VW market is a textbook case of supply and demand. There are a LOT of these old VWs still out there.
  • Options
    That's right. The Super Beetles aren't the ones that are popular. I've got an idea!

Have your dad tell that guy that he will make him a screaming deal and sell it to him for 10,000!

That "expert" should snap it up for that since he could turn it and make a quick 3000.00, wouldn't you think?
  • Options
    Haha...that's always a good way to get the "dreamers" to scatter like partridges....ask them to back up their estimates with their checkbook.
  • Options
    Over the years, I've had quite a few old cars and I've had many a note under my wiper blade..." If you ever want to sell this car, call me"

When I was in college, one of my cars was a beautiful, totally original 1940 Oldsmobile..how I loved that car...

Anyway, when I finally decided to part with it, I think I had four or five of these "wiper notes" an I called them all.

" Uh...um...oh yeah...I think I remember...uh...I'm not really interested now..."

Right!
  • Options
    It never fails!
  • Options
    bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    That's funny--I got that regularly from a neighbor about my '72 Malibu convertible from about '88 to early '91, when I came home with a new Camaro RS convertible. That very day he walked down and asked if I was going to sell the Malibu, because who needed two convertibles. He said name my price, I did, he gulped, came back ten minutes later with a check. I signed the title over, it was that easy.

It was his daily driver for about four years. He had the car repainted, finally found a mechanic that could make it purr, and sold it with 40K more miles on it for $3K more than he paid me!
  • Options
    Well I think a neighbor is a bit different scenario than the strangers who tag your windshield or shout at you across two lanes of traffic. The neighbor has to face you the next day if he backs out of his boast to buy your car.

Also you had the type of car a) worth investing in and b) easy to re-sell if there is buyer's remorse. Not so with say a 4-door car or grandpa's old stripped down Chevy.
  • Options
    bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I agree totally. I also got rid of the '91 Camaro in a similar fashion. I regulary board my dog at the same kennel, and the owner frequently asked if I was interested in selling, ask him first, yada yada yada. So, I decided to sell it, gave him first crack. I named my price, (very reasonable); he said drive the car back the next weekend with the title, and lo and behold, cash exchanged hands. That was almost four years ago, and he thanks me regularly for his "baby".

I have had folks shout across lanes, ask in parking lots, etc., just as you describe, but never took any of them seriously. I did take my neighbor and the kennel owner seriously as each had asked several times over the course of some time.

Also, my dog loves the kennel! ;)
  • Options
    caspa1985caspa1985 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm sorry to say that's just your opinion on the 924's being un-collectible and unloved. truthfully it depends on the model and a 924 carrera gt or gtr would be worth far more than that of a regular 924. As for the 912E issue with a VW engine sorry bud but the 912's used the 914 motors. The 914 with the VW logo though would be worth a pretty penny.
  • Options
    caspa1985caspa1985 Member Posts: 2
    ohh and forgot to mention The 924 would out perform and out power the bmw and the bmw's will not appreciate it was a less desireable car. An original shelby 427 cobra now that's a car that will appreciate in value along with ferrari's, laborgini's, original old muscle cars, and few select others.
  • Options
    The 914 is also a VW motor. So a 912E has a VW motor via the 914.

Actually the 912E has a much better chance of appreciating than a 924, and is already worth twice as much, because it resembles the 911 very closely, and is stronger than the original 912 motor, which was just an old 356 motor.

I don't think there's a 924 in the world, regardless of condition, worth more than $6,000 right now.

As for a 912E's performance, it's pretty leisurely to say the least. But yeah, a 1976 BMW is also a slug, I agree, so not a hard car to beat.

Problem with the 924s is that so many of them have fallen into total disrepair, and by the time you fix one up, you are buried for life in the car. And they get no respect, which is painful if a person has invested a lot of money in them.

Every car is somebody's baby, though, so anyone who wants to restore a 924, hey, more power to 'em.
  • Options
    Ebay has some info on this - the price for a 924 is about $2000, for a 924S about $3000, most 2002s are $2000-$5000, with some exceptional 2002tiis over $10,000.
  • Options
    Sounds about right. There's a 924 turbo that brings a bit more.

2002 Tii cars are getting quite valuable and they really do cure the 2002s sluggishness.
  • Options
    The snooty Porsche shops won't work on a 912, 914 or 924 either and that just may be a good thing for the people who own these!
  • Options
    I don't know if it's "snootiness" or just the fact that 914s are a real PITA to work on.

Also owners if 914s and 924s generally do not have the income to fix these cars properly. They want VW repair costs and Porsche performance, but really all a 912E, 914 or 924 gives you is Porsche repair costs and VW performance.

Older 912s are welcome in Porsche shops because they use the 911 chassis and 356 motor, so they are "pure" Porsches.

912Es are of course a kind of cross-breed like the 914s.

912Es and 914s are starting to climb in value, if you have the right car in the right color with the right equipment.

924s will, in my opinion, never climb in value. They will be the RX-7s of the Porsche/VW world, doomed to extinction and neglect whether they deserve that fate or not. That's what seems to be happening.
  • Options
    just out of curiosity, is the Porsche pictured below a 911 or 912? Or is it possible to distinguish from the pic?

Here's a pic from the side...
  • Options
    Well you won't see a 912 with a whale tail. Something very odd about that Porsche however....
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Looks like an older or lower car made to look newer and higher line than it is. The wheels/hubcaps look like that of an earlier car, but the paint and little tail is 70s.
  • Options
    Yes and the fenders have no flaring, making it a very early car---but the whale tail is from a much later car. It's bogus I think.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Probably just a shell they put together from left over parts to do the shot in the movie.
  • Options
    Exactly! it's a movie mock-up! See, we solved this puzzle.

In THAT case, maybe they did sacrifice an old 912. Back in the day, they weren't worth very much.
  • Options
    afwafw Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1952 International L-160 that I would like to sell and am not sure where to begin as I am unsure of the value. Has a dumpbody, flat bed with rail sides, 51,000 miles. Good condition, no rust, but has been sitting in our shop for a couple of years. Would need some TLC to get it back on the road. A real eye catcher! Value and who would be interested in a vehicle like this so I know where to go?
  • Options
    This truck has an audience, but a very limited one. Of course, pickups and sedan deliveries are worth a good deal more than dump beds, but there are guys out there with acres of land and lots of old barn buildings who do like to collect and fix up old trucks. They just don't want to pay too much.

I'm thinking you could advertise in the truck section of Hemmings Motor News. You might look in their classifieds to see what similar trucks in similar condition are going for. (www.hemmings.com). You could also do an eBay auction and see what it bids to.

I'm thinking around $2,500 sounds like all the money here for a non-operated dump truck needing TLC. Even all fixed up and shiny I can't see this truck worth more than $7K-$8K.
  • Options
    low_ryder4everlow_ryder4ever Member Posts: 9
    I have just purchased a 1967 ford galaxy, which I have learned has a 428 cobra jet. The body is ok, no rust a dent in a rear quarter, could use a quick body job. Underneath is amazing its been stored indoors and has been oil sprayed. Interior needs some work. What is its value?
  • Options
    To the best of my knowledge, a 428 Cobra Jet was not available in your car. So either you have a regular 428 FE engine or someone put a 428CJ from a later Mustang into your car.

You might tell us what the 5th letter is in your VIN. Also, is this a coupe, 4-door, convertible, and is it automatic or manual?

All this info is necessary to give some WAG or approximation of value.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If I recall the choices were:

240 Six
    390, two versions 270/315hp
    428 Thunderbird version (not Cobra)
    427 Cobra, either 1 4bbl or 2 4bbl (2 4bbl @ 425hp)

The 390 was by far the most sold option, most power for the money. The 428 wasn't much better. If it's truly an original 427, it could be worth some money. I don't recall the other options, like what trans was available with what motor, but you could get a 4 speed manual, and it may have been required with the 427, just don't remember. Maybe an enthusiast can fill us in.
    I recall they were good straight line cars, but don't try to turn hard under power.
  • Options
    That sounds right. I can't recall if the 352 was phased out by then or not. I am not aware of any 428 CJ sold in any year Galaxie. The normal 428 was introduced in '66 (as the '7 Litre' and also optional in the LTD I think). I don't think a 428 would give a car a huge premium - a 427 is indeed worth some money though.

I had a '66 with a 390 - 4 barrel. Very thirsty, loud, and quick for something of its age and size.
  • Options
    I don't think an ordinary 428 is worth all that much. It's not a great engine, really. The CJ options did wonders for it, using parts from the 427 racing engine. I also don't have any records showing a 428CJ available in a Galaxy. There wasn't even a CJ428 available until 1968.

This engine uses the low riser heads from the 427 and has lots of other improvements. It is rated at 335HP but really dynos out at 400, so it easily outperforms a regular 428, sometimes the latter being referred to as the "boat anchor".

Of course, a regular 428 adds some value but not what you'd think. This is not to cast any aspersions on it, only to state that it's not the engine everybody wants. Buyers drive the market, not sellers or appraisers or us enthusiasts' opinions for that matter.
  • Options
    low_ryder4everlow_ryder4ever Member Posts: 9
    It may be a 427 would that make it worth something? Just bought it 2 days ago and all my dads buddys heard about it and one ford guy came and took a look and told my dad it was a 427. So it one or the other and i need to run the vin. Should i get the engine code off the motor and get the vin and post it here? its a 2 door hard top, auto
  • Options
    Just post digit #5 of the VIN, not the whole vin. It's a letter not a number.

If it's an automotic, it's not a 427. They only came with manual transmissions. Your "ford guy" isn't too sharp there, unless someone plunked a real 427 into it---mating that to an automatic wouldn't be a very good idea however, unless the automatic was specialty built.

so what's the letter code?
  • Options
    I'd think a 428 in a Galaxie would be just seen as the big block, but no real performance aspirations.

Speaking of these big blocks, I once knew of a Mustang fastback with a 429 languishing behind a house.
  • Options
    Oh a 429 Z code...that would be a Boss. That's valuable.
  • Options
    Was the 429 Ford's take on the Hemi?
This discussion has been closed.