Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Ford Super Duty F-250

2»

Comments

• themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Does anyone off road with their f250? maybe one witht he psd? I am maybe looing into one and I do off road and was wondering how the truck as well as the psd performed?
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Depending on your description of "off roading"
    a diesel may not be the best choice. Weight and throttle response are the issues.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The biggest problem with offroading with one of the new turbo diesels is the turbo. At idle the turbo is not being used, until the turbo winds up there is little power and that setup is not good for low speed crawling, if you are using it for high speed blasting the turbo diesel would be good but not great.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    The PSD seems to have alot of low end grunt, even prior to the turbo really kicking in.
    It seems to me the biggest weakness of the PSD for off-roading is simply the massive weight of the engine which causes the front end to want to sink more in the mud..
  • doscardoscar Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know anyway to make a Crew Cab rear seat fold in 2002 trucks? Is there an after market kit or hinges for this? Any help would be appreciated..
  • newf250ownernewf250owner Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new 2002 F250 4x4 crewcab last October and am really enjoying it. The truck is so big though that the 32 inch tires on it (A/Ts) look a little small. Any idea on how big I can go in tire size - first with no lift, and then with 3 inches of lift. (I know that I will need to get larger rims either way.)
    Also, once we hit the winter months, I started to get a very noticeable squeak when I turned the steering wheel each morning. Took it in and they said some part of the steering mechanism had not been lubricated properly - and so they did just that. It was fine - no squeak at all - for the first couple of weeks, but now the squeak is back a little each morning just after I start the truck. Anyone else experiencing any squeak at all. Just wondering if I should take the truck back in.
    Thanks for any help with either question!
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    But I would bet alot of money that you could fit some 33 x 12.50s under there with minimal (if any rubbing). With three inches you could probably go on up to 35s I would bet. Whether or not you offroad and experience lots of suspension flex determines how much space you will really need in between the rubber and the fenders.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    no trouble with clearance. The guy's at my local shops have said they have put 305's on these trucks with no lift.

You know you'll loose power and ABS begins to be affected. I have not had any trouble but much bigger and you will need some recallibration.

As for the squeak:
    Welcome to the world of Ford SD. I have the 99 F250, The have a problem with them and finally started putting in hard plastic spring isolator tips, not sure if they are polyeurethane(sp?) or not. They almost always squeak when cold, and sometimes when its not cold. Everyone has talked about this for three years, still Ford hasn't fixed it. We just learn to ignore it.
  • dbossmandbossman Member Posts: 28
    I am shopping for a tow vehicle to drag my 1970 Boss Mustang around the country to car shows, speed events, etc. I noticed something interesting when comparing the F150 and F250 towing specs (on the Ford site).

Ford says the F150 SuperCab 4x2 with the 5.4 and 3.73 is rated to tow an 8600 lb trailer. With the 4.10 the rating stays at 8600.

The F250 SuperCab 4x2 with the 5.4 and 3.73 is rated to tow only 7500 lbs. With the 4.10, the rating jumps to 9000.

What gives? Any thoughts on which is the better option?
    Go with the SuperDuty with the 4.10.

Bigger payload, better brakes, heavier suspension, bigger interior, and a better looking truck in my opinion.

By the time you load a F150 with payload and cooling packages the cost will be similar to that of the SuperDuty..
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    I am in the exact same situation as you(race/show car)the difference between a F150 super cab 4X2 with the big payload package and a F250 is less than $800. I chose the F250 because they are much heavier all the way around. And the F250 will have a much higher resale value in a few more years.
    My last truck as an F-150. Came time for replacement and I found the price for 150 vs 250 were very close, i.e. $800 or so that VWRACER mentioned. The 250 is more of a commercial duty rig and is a much better value, at least in my opinion. Did spring for the diesel which was the bigger difference in purchase price.

Time will tell how it all works out.
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    I tested an F250 Lariat with bench seat, and an F150 SuperCrew at Carmax. Bench seat in 250 had adjustable headrests, SuperCrew did not. Is this a function of 150 vs. 250, or bench seat vs. captain's chairs? I'm tall enough that the captain's chairs aren't high enough for neck support, but head rest in 250 was fine.
  • dirtface250dirtface250 Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to get a clean 2000 F250 PSD Crew cab for a very fair price. The problem is I don't know squat about diesels and I don't have anything to tow around except for dirt bikes which just about any truck could handle. I do like the Looks of the F250. But I'm a little concerned about the PSD. Any opinions for or against would be greatly appreciated.
    All depends on the "VERY FAIR" price. If auto tranny, make certain it's been maintained correctly. A critical coolant additive is FW-15 or FW-16. This additive acts as sacraficical particles, anti-cavitation. Without which the block gets pin holes.

Some PSD have this cackle thing going on. Lots of discussion about this on the F-D site.

If you've not already, drive it. Diesels are slow getting going so allow adequate time pulling out. My personal take is, you'll either like it right away or hate it. Diesels are not for everybody, just the lucky few. All of the new
    diesel rigs are great, if you like oil burners that is.
  • jdtopperjdtopper Member Posts: 58
    ...I don't think you can go wrong with the diesel. The darn things pull like a locomotive. Mine seldom kicks out of overdrive, even on a 7% on a grade.

You'll get about 20-25% better mileage with the PSD and, in some places, diesel is cheaper to boot. The coolant additive that jcave referred to is a standard additive that nearly all diesels use. Having to add it once every 15-20k miles is certainly not a deal-breaker.

My only concern is that I've had to turn the rotors twice in 40k miles. I think that's excessive, but haven't found a cure yet. Some other guys have seen the same thing, while others have gone more than 100k.

Try it out. I think you'll like it, especially try it on a steep grade at highway speeds...
  • hubrex2hubrex2 Member Posts: 24
    One more voice to add. It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything on the site, but I "tuned in" just in time for your post, and it reminded me of my own situation two years ago at this time. I too was in need of a vehicle for towing a racecar--openwheel dirt vintage car in my case. My first choice was an F-150, didn't think the larger F-250 was called for. The more I looked, the more the bigger truck appealed to me. First, I definitely wanted a 5-speed. To me, automatics are for the inept or infirm (just kidding). The F-150 with the stick has absolutely no towing capacity, so score one for the Superduty. When considering interior room and suitability for most truck-type needs, again it was the F-250. I bought the 2WD with the 5.4 V8, 5 speed and 4:10 axle. It tows the car on a War Eagle open trailer very nicely while returning good fuel mileage--15.5 empty in mostly in-town driving, 10-12 towing 4500-5000 lbs. For my situation, it was exactly the right choice--I would not want to be towing this set-up with a half ton truck. The extra amount of truck translates to much more stability on the road. I also wouldn't want to tow much more than this--an enclosed trailer, for example--unless I upgraded to the V-10 or PSD, but for what I have, the V-8 works exceptionally well. Hope this helps--
    FW-16 is about nine bucks at the local Ford dealership. Certainly not a enough money to break a deal. My point is simply, depending on mileage, if it's not been added, that could be a deal breaker. A 2000 PSD probably doens't have tons of miles.

Those brake problems still seem odd. A buddies Z-71 does the same thing but your's is the first Ford I've heard of. Keep us posted on how it works out.
    ...NOT been used, I would be concerned. Again, depending on mileage. I did a fair amount of research on that topic before I bought my PSD and came to the conclusion that it's cheap insurance.

If the PSD that dirtface is talking about has been maintained by a dealer, it's pretty unlikely that they didn't use it...

Yeah, the brakes on mine are really odd. Maybe it's just a fluke, but I don't think so.
  • dirtface250dirtface250 Member Posts: 2
    Just for the record truck is just coming off of a two year lease and has been to the dealer on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure the biggest compliant about it was the squeak from the front end that seems to be a fairly normal thing for SD's. The truck has around 30K on it and to the best of my knowledge has never towed anything. It was basically was used as the family wagon. I will check on the brake situation and the FW-16.
    Thanks again for all the info. Because the current owner was very unhappy about the squeak thing I'm pretty sure I can get it for what ever the dealer is going to give for a trade-in. Still not sure what to do but, I like the advice about driving it first.
    You said you do not tow anything and you only haul dirt bikes. You definately don't need that truck for that.

I would venture to say that most people won't buy a PSD unless they are towing a lot of weight. I actually tow a lot of weight and haul quite often but there is no way I would buy the PSD. I have to dive my truck every day, and personally I think the deisel is a dog, it smells, it too loud and the fuel pumps are usually the dirtiest ones of all. I wouldn't want to be stepping in that stuff and then getting in my truck.

I got the V10, twice as a matter of fact. I just picked up the new one on Saturday. If its the F250 look your after you could get be with a V8.
    If not, have you considered an off lease F150 or just a used one?
    One problem these trucks had were spring tip isolators. When these things deteriorate the springs sqeak. They can be replaced.

Even if it didn't have the coolant additive, that kind of mileage should be insignificant.

Towing or not, if it's an auto-tranny, check the trans oil. 30k miles is the complete service mileage which involves a complete change getting rid of any burned oil. Check for any sign of burnt tranny oil, there should be none. Might even ask the dealer to throw in this service with the deal if it's not already been done.

Go for a drive, just be warned, that could be all it takes for you to become a PSD owner.
  • mrb11mrb11 Member Posts: 58
    I agree. Diesels suck. It ticks me off that I have to roll up my window when one of those stinking rattle traps pulls up next to me at a stop light. They remind me of a John Deere tractor.
    And they say they don't pollute. Yeah right!
    One problem these trucks had were spring tip isolators. When these things deteriorate the springs sqeak. They can be replaced.

Even if it didn't have the coolant additive, that kind of mileage should be insignificant.

Towing or not, if it's an auto-tranny, check the trans oil. 30k miles is the complete service mileage which involves a complete change getting rid of any burned oil. Check for any sign of burnt tranny oil, there should be none. Might even ask the dealer to throw in this service with the deal if it's not already been done.

Go for a drive, just be warned, that could be all it takes for you to become a PSD owner.
    ...is anything to worry about. Mine had a squeak/clunk occasionally when I turned onto a steeply inclined surface - like from a street into my driveway - at near full lock on the steering. I took it to the dealer who installed some new bushings in the suspension. They were aware of the problem, and it was covered under warranty, but there wasn't a recall notice. They just do it if the customer complains.

Haven't heard any bad noises since, and it's been about 20k miles since the repair.

I really don't think you'll be sorry about getting the diesel, regardless of the opinions of some of the other good folks on this forum. I've had mine for two years and still can't get over how well this thing gets up the hills under a load, especially at high altitudes. I haven't seen anything else that could compare to it.

And 19 mpg on the open road is pretty damn good for a 4x4 1-ton crew cab SD automatic! I'd like to see one of the gas engine guys match that kind of performance...
    A 1 ton 4X4 that weighs something like 7500 lbs. Combined winter driving mine is running 16.5 - 17.2. You betcha, I'd say that's darned good. Even considering cost of ownership is more, such as oil changes, 15 qts vs 5. Without a doubt, I'd do it again. Have only heard of a few folks that wouldn't.
  • rkdchiefrkdchief Member Posts: 2
    Can any one tell me what the gas mileage is with the f-250 crewcab v-10 vs the 5.4 engines? We're looking at getting one and would like some input on where there running. Thanks.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    '01, F-350 XLT, CC, 4x4, LWB, V10, auto, 3.73 rear end. Around town,(depending on whether I put my foot into it or carry a load) I range from 9.5 - 11.5 mpg. Highway, 60 mph, w/ cruise on, I've gotten as high as 14.5 mpg (with summer gas) - usually its 12-13, right now with winter blend 11-12. Towing 8K lbs - drops down around 8 mpg. If you get V10 with 4.30 rear end expect to lose another 1 mpg or so. A 6 spd standard would gain you 1 or 2 mpgs. I bought truck for work capability, didn't really worry about mpg's - although a fill up was painful when gas was $1.89/gal. Also it's not my daily driver. My '95 F150, 5.0L only gets 15-16 mpg highway, and it's half the truck my SuperDuty is.

From what I've read folks with 5.4L don't do all that much better (1 or 2 mpgs more). These trucks weigh 7000 lbs +, and have the aerodynamics of a cinder block, so the 5.4L ends up working harder to move same load as 6.8L V10. If you get the 5.4L you should get the 4.10 rear end to be able to move all that mass - so 8 cyl engine ends up revving faster than 10 cyl and burns almost as much fuel.

What're you going to use it for. Do you tow? Need it for hauliing? Or do you just wanna drive a cool truck? If it's gonna run empty most of the time, and tow infrequently then 5.4L with 4.10s will move a CrewCab respectably. If you get 4x4, the running gear add another 3-400 lbs to vehicle. If you run with 2000 lbs in the bed, or tow heavy, then the 5.4L will leave you wishing for more power. The V10 has power to spare for whatever you ask of it. Besides, it's a blast to stomp the gas, chirp the tires, and leave Honda Civic "rice burners" behind.
    is an accurate picture of SD mileage from what I've seen and heard. I took a 27' motorhome on a vacation trip a couple of years ago. It was powered by a V10 on an F350 chassis. On the open interstate, it got 10-11 mpg at the speed limit, which I thought was pretty good considering that I was driving around in a house... In the mountains, or on slow roads, it dropped to around 7-8 mpg, sometimes less.

That experience, and spending some time my son-in-law's 1995 and 1999 Cummins-powered Ram 2500s, made the difference when it came time for me to buy another truck. I chose the '00 F350 CC LWB 4x4 PSD. My overall mileage with this truck is 16-17 mpg, long-trip about 19 mpg at 65 mph on cruise control with a hard tonneau cover. I have never seen less than 14 mpg under the worst of conditions: towing 10,000# through the Utah mountains (and that was on the little twisty roads, way up in the hills, the freeway performance was more like 15-16 while towing.)

My 5 day/wk commute is 26 miles one-way, half of it on a freeway, and 37 stop lights/signs along the way (Southern Cal, it's so damn crowded here, and the freeway on the home-bound commute is more like a parking lot than a road...)

I drive about 25,000 miles a year, half work and half play. The price of fuel this morning was $1.55 for the cheap gas and $1.39 for #2 diesel. Based on these prices, 11 mpg overall average on a V10 and 16.5 mpg for my PSD, I save more than $1,400 a year in fuel costs. I've got 41,000 miles on the truck now. By the time I hit 75,000 miles, the diesel will have paid for itself. By the time it gets to 300,000 miles, well, you get the picture. I plan to keep this thing until the wheels fall off.

And there's absolutely no comparison between the performance capabilities of the two engines at altitude. The PSD will blow the doors off the V10, hands down.
  • rkdchiefrkdchief Member Posts: 2
    A PSD is out of the questions as we already have 2 other diesels and are looking for a gas burner for the colder months. We do pull a 25" 5th wheel and this will be our "family car". So we are striving more for the gas mileage in everyday situations. Not so much for the pull. (as we know that wont be good> Thanks for your input.
    Watch out for an F250 and a 25' fiver ( I never saw a 25" fiver. ;-) ). You can easily exceed the "legal" capacity of the F250. Your payload gets eaten up pretty quick by passengers, gear, fuel. doesn' leave much for the 5ver and its hitch. The F250 can pull it and probably stop it, but if you ever have an accident while towing your insurance company may leave you dangling in the breeze for being overloaded.

Max payload F250, CC, LWB, 4x2 is 3055 lbs., with 4x4 it's 2645 lbs.

F350, CC, LWB, SRW, 4x2 is 4140 lbs, 4x4 is 3760 lbs. Gives you an extra 1100 lbs to play with. Even better, an F350 Dooley will give 5000 lbs 4x2, 4480 lbs as a 4x4, plus you get extra stability for towing.

These payloads all assume you have base 5.4L, XL model. (I think they use weight of 6 spd tranny, not auto.) Not sure what A/C and other options weigh. V10 weighs ~200 lbs more, PSD weighs almost 600 lbs more than V8 gasser.
  • vinny8vinny8 Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying a Ford 350 XLT..Regular cab...V10 engine. I'm trading in a 1998 Dodge 1500 SST..very sharp truck...but Ford is the way to go if I ever decide to trailer my horse somewhere...
    Talk to me about the 6 speed manual. Before I got into trucks I used to drive 4 on the floor sports cars..and I still miss the "control"..what's the general opinion out there about manual v.s. auto trans? I'm 5'4 so I'm assuming that the clutch throw won't be a problem..any other truckies out there with manuals with the monster V10/350 XLT? All opinions appreciated.thanks
    Vinny8
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have the PSD with the 6-speed. I, like yourself, like the control a manual gives me. I have heard a lot of bad things about the auto trannies behind the diesels, but not much about the auto behind the V-10. I would think the auto would be just fine. But do the maintenance on it. One of the most neglected parts on a vehicle tends to be the tranny.

As far as the clutch goes, I am assuming the clutches will be the same for a V-10 as a PSD. This is a heavy clutch, but nothing overpowering. In your post you said; "I'm 5'4 so I'm assuming that the clutch throw won't be a problem." Is that a typo? I am 5'10" and it isn't for me, I have a 32" inseam. I can't comment on whether or not the clutch might be a problem. I do know the seat will slide at least 4" forward of where I have mine positioned.
    you may get just a touch better mileage too.

Don't worry about the auto w/V10, I'm on my second truck now. Not a single tranny problem.
    They do need service but they come with the drain plug in the pan. I ALWAYS change the tranny fluid each spring before I start towing my camper a lot. It has never seemed the least bit burnt or used up. I put about 20,000 a year on the trucks.

I also love the stick in a sports car, but I will never have one in a tow vehicle or daily driver again.
  • automiteautomite Member Posts: 17
    just a reminder, sunrisefordfleet.com now has posted 2003 ford order info under their download center category. just wanted to say thanks to this dealership for providing this info. its very helpful when considering purchase of 2002 or 2003 year. never able to get this info from local dealer salesman. thanks again sunrise ford.
    wpalkowski, thx for that handy order guides conection. looks like no one wants to continue with this 2003 info, so how about this question. why does ford offer daytime running lights, power door locks and windows on xl trim level, and electric transfer case shifter on xl trim, as fleet orderable only? if a customer wants "drl's" why can't he order it? with the power options, i understand ford wants you to move to xlt package, where they are available to all customers. myself, i like the less plush cab of the xl trim level and the lower price, but would like the opportunity to order these options. 2003 order guides are adding the split bench vinyl seat to xl trim level and no longer restricting it to fleet order ststus.
    I'm not affiliated with FordMoCo in any way besides owning their product. I did a lot of research when buying my truck, and so I post info to help out other folks who were just as confused as I was at the outset. I haven't a clue as to why there are certain policies. What I did find out while shopping around is that "most" of sales people at regular Ford dealerships don't know even the basics about SuperDuty Pickups. Half of them don't know anything about special ordering a truck either and spout all sorts of misinformation. If you can talk to a truck manager or someone who handles special orders they may be able to cut through the b.s.
    I bought my truck at a dealership that only handles Ford Trucks. They start with F250s and go all the way up to F-800s, they won't even sell F-150s. By and large they only deal with people who use trucks as a tool to earn a living, so they have to know their product or they don't get any business. You might try to find one like that in your area, and ask to talk to someone in fleet sales.
    You're buying a truck for your "fleet" (even if it's only a fleet of one). Your money is just as good as anyone else's - so it wouldn't hurt to try them to get the truck you want. Other good thing about Truck-only dealerships - they may not have a lot of selection on the lot, but since they only sell trucks, they get very high priority when they special order one. My dealer sells 50+ Superduties per month compared to Joe (Mustang, Winstar, Crown Victoria) Ford Dealer who may only sell 3 or 4 SD pickups in the same period. Guess who gets the better Pickup allocation and faster delivery? Also sometimes Ford offers special incentives/rebates for "commercial" customers that regular dealers don't know about - however, Ford's usually stricter about that - you'd have to show proof of owning a business, etc.
    good idea. i think i might try that when ready. thx for the tip.
  • whalercatwhalercat Member Posts: 40
    Just bought a 2002 F-250 CC Lariat 4x4. Moved up from a Supercrew Lariat 4x4. Going in tomorrow to get Rhino liner, Bull Bar, Roll-N-Lock bed cover. Awesome vehicle! Paid invoice, got 0.9% financing.
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    I saw a few posts back concerning the mileage a couple of users of automatics with the PSD and V-10 are getting, but nothing from anyone using the 6 speed manual with those engines. Is there anyone out there that has used each with the 6 speed that would be willing to share that information?

Also, does anyone know the reason for the different transmission numbers for a 6 speed for diesel and gas engines? Is there a difference in the transmission or just the mating with the engines?

We have a farm and I'm interested in a truck that can be used to tow relatively heavy loads on occasion, one I can get into and out of wet fields in, carry multiple passengers or lock tools up inside, drive without subsidizing a small Middle Eastern country when empty, and that will last a long time.

I prefer the manual transmission for the flexibility of shifting, would like something I can get into with muddy feet and dirty clothes, then hose out when I'm finished. I am leaning to the F-350 XL Crew Cab with 6 speed and four wheel drive.

Any input from users of similar nature?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I can't tell you about the auto, but I can help you with the 6-speed. I have an F-350 PSD dually SC 4x2. Empty, I consistantly get around 18.5 mpg. Towing, I consistantly get around 11.25 mpg.
  • wheeler2wheeler2 Member Posts: 13
    I am close to ordering an F250 SD 4X4, I have one item left to choose - electric transfer case shifting or the shifter on the floor? The only reason I am looking at the electric is to get the auto/lock hubs. I was shown an article two months ago in a dealer only trade magazine that stated Ford was having big problems with the electric shift. Trucks with the electric shift were being held at the factory until a solution was found, anyone know if the problem has been resolved for 2003 models? Or should I use the money to buy a good set of automatic aftermarket hubs? Will slapping a set of auto hubs on work? The stock ones do look anemic anyway. Although I haven't posted in this discussion before I have been reading for months and after reading about the problems GM is having with their HD trucks it's clear to me that Ford is the way to go. I am ordering a six speed and am interested in the mileage with the V10. Thanks for your advice and input.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Now i may have bad information, but i thought that the six-speed was a diesel only option? I know i have seen the V-10 with five-speeds in them, but never a six? can someone tell me for certain on this?
    This is new in 2002 that there is a 6speed manual available for the gassers. Prior to this year all the gassers got 5speed manuals
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Thanks Bess, for a minute there i thought i had lost my mind. oh wait nevermind, i did
  • y2k4my2k4m Member Posts: 9
    We just recently purchased an '02 F350 PSD CC 4X4 and had a very indepth conversation with the parts guy. He was very opinionated around the point of up grading the engine chip for improved mileage and hp. Does anyone out there have advice on this? (you all are just oh, so modest) This is our first PSD, a move up from an xtended cab F150. Don't haul anything, just take long trips, hate minivans, and love the smell/sounds of a PSD. This brings up another question ... any advice on how to scrap off those small foreign jobbies from your bumper? They leave a nasty grease spot on the chrome.
This discussion has been closed.