Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What I do with my Odyssey is run the rear HVAC in addition to the front in order to heat/cool the vehicle better in extreme conditions. Try that to see if the van heats up any more.

It is a big space to heat so that might help. I always found our Ody to be more difficult to condition compared to our cars. Now I find my Passat wagon to be harder than our previous sedans and the Ody as the Passat does not have rear HVAC.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I notice that with the auto temp set at 68'F, the air never blows quite as hot as it does if you turn it all the way up to 90. That seems to be true even when the van is considerably cooler than that. It seems to blend in cold air (or moderates the water valve) all along to approach the setting without overshoot.

At this point, I suspect that you are going to have to search out someone with an Ody and do a side by side comparison to see if yours responds the same throughout the warm-up cycle. Where are you located? Must be someone with a van up there.

Steve
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Dealer is ripping you off at 19,995! Go somewhere else.
    Thought I would tell what happened last week in case anyone else ever encounters this. Long story short, it looks like the commonality was the transmission 'range switch'. 2002 Ody EX, 72k miles.

All three times the first indication of problems was a failure of the power sliders. Sometimes they open a few inches, then freeze, once they did not move at all (as though they were locked, but were not). This is accompanied by the shifter locked in park, and some intermittant door beeping. The PRND is blank - nothing illuminated. I know the shifter was solidly in the Park position, but the P was not lit. Pressing on the brake pedal produces no click, so the basic shifter interlock system is disabled.

First time it happened, I got out and manually cycled the doors by pushing them all the way open, then powering them shut. When both closed, the "P" lit up, and everything then worked just fine. A few days later it happened again, but was also accompanied by slow engine cranking. Thinking that all this might be a low voltage induced glitch to the various processor logic, I went out and replaced the battery. Everything worked fine for almost two weeks, and I was full of self congratulations for not running to the dealer on a false alarm!! When it happened again, no amount of manual cycling of the doors would restore functionality.
    We used the shifter interlock override (the little covered keyhole on the top of the steering column) to get it out of park and drove it to the dealer. The power doors came right back to life on their own as soon as I could move the shifter.

At first the dealer seemed stumped about what the relationship could be between the door failure and the shift lock. I had checked the door contacts, and they seem clean enough and well aligned. I posted this on another Ody internet site, plus studied my shop manual, and everything pointed to the Range Switch. This unit tells all the other logic what position the shifter is in, and if it doesn't think it is in P, disables the door. No "P", no go, no doors...

Friendly Honda in Poughkeepsie treated us very well. They kept the Ody for a week of testing, providing a service loaner car. They called me twice to ask exact sequence of events questions in an effort to reproduce it. I think eventually they did it on faith. They even stapled a copy of the logic diagrams to my receipt (nice touch). Hopefully, this is the end of the story. Now I feel better about having purchased that 7/100k extended warranty. Finally getting something out of it!

Steve
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    curious, did you tell them you sleuthed it to the point of it being the shifter-position switch?

what warrented the stapling of the logic diagrams? an attaboy or thanks?

cool. good thing i bought manual sliders. :blush:

i bet someday this happens to someone else. you're description will help them save some $$$.
    Sam,

They were comtemplating giving it back as a 'no trouble found'. If that happened I was worried that I'd get the bill, and I told the service writer my concerns. I posted the problem description on another Ody board, and shared details of the response, plus my own interpretation of the shop manual. I guess I established credibility, and believe they confered with the wizards at American Honda on it. Attaching the logic diagrams to my invoice was a way of acknowledging it?

I posted it here in hopes that it does someday save someone a lot of grief. Hopefully the title will get picked up in a problem search.

Steve
    Steve,
    Any technician trained in looking at a schematic for one of their vehicles with the information you had in hand should have taken about 10min to diagnose the prob.

Any really good senior tech would have known this and consultation with Honda unnecessary.

Or let's see, they should have a system where they could ask a question like this, and get a response in a day.

Maybe I'm dreaming...

But you dropped the solution in their lap.

Yeah, that was a nice acknowlegement.
    Sam
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    purposely calibrating the odometer to read 3.75 % faster and higher mileage than actual mileage ? :blush: :mad:

A lawyer used to go on a regular trip in another car...but when he took his Honda ( odyssey), it consistently got a higher distance traveled.

Thus, your warranty would run out that much quicker..and be liable for the repair costs.

The class action lawsuit was settled...and HONDA will send letters to all owners to offer some form of compensation .

FYI, Detroit made cars were accurate in their odometer readings...( maybe after Chrysler got caught letting employees drive many cars without odometers connected, then reconnected the odometers and sold the cars as new back in 1980s.)

FOr some reason, Toyota cars in general , read too slow by a wee bit....??

Honda has promised to calibrate odometers to have 0% discrepancy. Federal rules allow up to 4% variation.

Did anyone get a letter ?
    Sam,

Agree, but realize that the problem never actually happened on their watch. Picture the senario:

A customer calls them from the side of the road and says their car is locked in park, doors disabled. Third such time in two weeks. We discuss the merits of either waiting for a tow, or using the shift interlock override to release the shifter and then drive it in to them. Finally I decide to go for the override, as the writer says he has a loaner warmed up and waiting for me!

Now they fuss with it for a few days and cannot get it to happen. The "book" says to toss it back into my lap as a NDF along with the bill. I can understand the point, as there is the chance that it is somehow pilot error. Fortunately, I make a credible witness! We get the car serviced there occasionally, and the warranty claims in 5 years has been near zip, other than the toasted 2nd gear at 35k.

Steve
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I took our 04 Odyssey EX in last week for the 30K service (actually have about 32K miles on it). They found the front brake pads worn to 2.5MM; we had the pads replaced, and the rotors re-surfaced. It was about $200 for the brake work.

I guess 32K of miles in this heavy auto (~ 5,000 lbs including the typical people/cargo load) in the hilly Birmingham/Hoover terrain take their toll on brake pads. :sick:

What sort of other mileage are others out there getting out of their brake pads? Do rotors typically get re-surfaced with each pad replacement?
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    We haven't received a letter for our cars yet... just the copies of the settlement report.

We have two cars affected by the suit (an 04 Odyssey and an 03 CRV); however, given where the ODO readings are with each car, I don't see where the settlement will actually affect us in any way.
    I'm surprised that you needed them this soon, but everyone's driving style is different. We made it over 60k before changing the fronts, in mixed hilly rural / suburban driving.

Steve
  • wagnerpewagnerpe Member Posts: 21
    I don't know whether this forum or the Prices Paid forum is more appropriate, but I'll start here.

I'm thinking of buying a 2004 Odyssey - likely coming back in off a lease; the dealers seem to have a lot on their lots.

I new to the used car buying game. I know how to run a title check and to have the car inspected by an independent mechanic before I buy, but am not sure how "puffed" the asking prices for the vehicles are.

I have a maximum that I am willing to pay for an '04 EX ($19,000), but I don't know if I should be looking at cars that are priced at $20,000 or maybe $22,000? There are so many to choose from - they even have listings under $19,000, so I know I can afford one, but I'd like to get the "best" vehicle I can (lowest milage).

About how much will an average dealer come down off the list price of a used Odyssey? Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    Before you do too much spinning visit
    www.kbb.com
    and
    www.edmunds.com
    Research their used car standards and market value levels. This will give you a better idea then the mixed ramblings that might echo from this group. Also be sure you have a good understanding of the varied equipment levels such as LX, vs EX, vs EX-L, vs Touring... This makes a significant difference. A price that might be a rip off for an LX might be a bargain for a EX-L... Got to do your own legwork if you buy used... :-I
    if you use the edmunds sitehttp://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/honda/odyssey/100347231/options.html

well, i get 15.3, 16.7, 17.8K for trade, private prty, and dealer retail etc on an EX in clean condition with avg mileage.

even certified should be well under 19K.

use www.autotrader.com to view vehicles in your zip code.

look at the NADA book in your library and visit the kelly bluebook site.
  • waborenwaboren Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at the Odometer Issue for 2004 Odyssey! Do I need to worry about it if I am buying a Certified Odyssey from Dealer? Also I am looking @ 2004 EX(with DVD System) with 30 K on it. Dealer' MSRP is about 24,995 and 21100 with KBB. Can I bargain with the EDMUNDS rate of about 17638 + Certification Rate? Is it too much or the right Price? your inputs are of great value to me as I am new to buying Used cars..

Thanks!
    Also one more question..

DO I need to ask a different Mechanic(not from the Dealer) to inspect the Vehicle(even if its certified)
    My initial impression is that 25k is awfully high for an '04, but I'm not really in touch with the used car market. What is the warranty that comes with it as a Certified Used?

For that money you could buy a brand new Kia Sedona van. I have never tried one, but Motor Trend said it rivals the new Ody feature for feature, and close in terms of performance and refinement. That probably puts it equal or above the last gen Ody you are looking at. Just a thought...
    It has 7 Yr 100,000 miles Power Train warranty and 1 Yr Bumber to Bumber.
    i'm no expert, but i'm led to believe a certified vehicle isn't necessarily any better, or more thoroughly inspected, or reconditioned than one that isn't.

the price differential (cert/non-cert) is for a warranty.

ask.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    EX with DVD or EX-L with DVD? Either way the asking price is way... way.... waaaaaay to high. But, this is a common practice in used car sales. You can certainly negotiate. I think you should be able to get below Edmunds rate, as it is the average selling price. Would certainly not pay more.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    04 EX with DVD certified pre-owned - $19,850 plus the ol' tax and title. Nice. Sage Brush Pearl. This is my second Ody and fifth Honda dating back to an 80 Accord I bought in March of 82. You could say I like them.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    cloth, right? i like the sage brush pearl. sometimes it looks green, sometimes blue.
    Absolutely. Very nice. Some visible paint thingies - scratches and tiny chips - really minimal.

I'm very happy for the promotion from LX to EX!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Whats the mileage on it when you bought?
    Sorry. Hadn't been in in a few. It had maybe 23.500 miles on it.
    Thanks. I bought a similar one with 28500 for $19150 + tax + Licencing.. I have one more question -- please reply anyone-- As a certified vehicle this one comes with 1 Yr Bumper to Bumper warranty & 7 Yr Pr Train. Dealer is offering me 7 yr/100k Bumper to Bumper for $ 780 + Tax. Is that a good deal. I got it and I feel thats abit pricy as the certified already has Pr Train. I have 90 days to return this. Please reply asap. Thanks
    To tell you the truth that sounds like a pretty good price if that's a real Hondacare warranty.

Check out Honda Extended Warranties: Pricing and Info in Smart Shopper for comparisons.

You did well on that van. Enjoy!

Oh, and do tell on color, LX or Ex and all that good stuff....

A full six weeks after getting our van they called to tell me the "we owe" items have come in! Better late than never.
  • tomsheartomshear Member Posts: 1
    Hello... I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that seems to be showing the early signs of a potential problem and I need some advice on areas to focus on before I take it in to get looked at so I don't get taken for a ride. Basically, when I start the car, it requires a bit more pumping of the gas pedal to get it to turn over than normal. This problem seems to be much worse when it is raining out. I also notice that when it is raining, the car idles very low and will ocassionally stall out if I am not giving it a little shot of the gas now and then. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Same as urs except for the color.. EX + DVD + Golden Color(beige).
  • rsmiedemarsmiedema Member Posts: 8
    How many miles do you have on it? I would check to see if you have a fuel filter. Given today’s cars with fuel injection, you shouldn’t have to pump the gas pedal unless there is some type of fuel restriction. If there is one and it gets clogged, that will cause you to have those issues. It defiantly sounds like some sort of fuel issue to me. It will be simple to find out if you have one and most are normally easy to change out. The reason I say t o check is because a fuel filter is redundant do to the fuel pump and a lot of modern cars don’t have them like my ’04 Odyssey. The reason for this is because the fuel pump actually filters the gas as well. I point to a fuel filter issue because my wife had a Ford Festiva in college and it did the same thing until I change the fuel filter for the first time at 94,000 mile. You don’t want to know what came out of it. Please note, I’m not a mechanic, but I like to mess with my cars.
    I'd check that out. Best of luck.

waboren - good choice. The only thing is in gold they use an ivory in terior which shows dirt more. No big deal. My Accord has survived 128K and four kids with an ivory interior and it's OK. A few mystery spots but what's life without surprises......
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I do all my servicing at my Honda dealer. I own a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX. I live in Southern Ontario Canada which this year for February & March has a very cold & snowey winter. The rear rotors were first replaced at 120,000 kms. Last week at 166,117 kms they had to be replaced again. They could not be machined due to corrosion. I do not understand what could have happen. I reported to the dealer and Honda head office in Toronto that I was not too happy about this. Preventive maintenance is done regular. What do you recommend? Should I opt for more intensive washing when I go through the brushless car wash?
    I talked to couple of Company(Honda/Nissan) techs and a local car shop and everyone says you can not avoid replacing the rotors in Cold states of US/Canada. It seemd The salt etc that they put on roads in winter months is pretty bad for cars and in most cases rotors are the ones affected by this!!
  • rttaorminarttaormina Member Posts: 4
    last time you guys saved me $3500 bucks so i am coming back. 2002 honda odyssey power door on passenger side just wont close all the way. nothing it its path. any ideas. door motor?
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    I'm not certain how far the door is still open, but if it keeps beeping and won't finalize the closing, try cleaning the door and door jamb contacts with a rubber eraser.
    good luck
    somewhere here is the door relearn procedure involving the pulling of a fuse i think then opening and closing the things.
  • johnd15johnd15 Member Posts: 41
    I've owned an 02 Ody EX since 11/01. Very happy with it at 59K miles. A great vehicle. A couple of days ago I noticed upon opening the back hatch that it seemed to weigh 200 lbs and would not stay in up position. I suspect those lift assist cylinders are shot. Can anyone please advise on solution? If I need to buy cylinders, any advice on online purchase? Prefer not to involve dealer. Thanks from N MI...
  • sflahertysflaherty Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone can help me figure out an easy fix, or if I need to take this in. The A/C just stopped blowing in the front in my '04 Odyssey. Rear A/C still works fine. I can feel that the air would be cold, if it would blow out of the vents in front. I live in Dallas, so I need my A/C fixed fast! Thanks.
  • ohondaohonda Member Posts: 3
    Recently I parked my 2003 EXL in my carport and for no explainable reason the rear window suddenly just exploded. My wife heard the noise, went outside to take a look and saw nothing but glass everywhere. I found glass fragments as far away as 18 ft from the rear of the car in the carport. My carport does not face the street and is well protected. Granted this was a fairly hot day (about 90deg F). The car was parked so that the rear was facing the afternoon sun. Was solar heating a factor? I would be surprised if this could have caused the problem. Has anyone else had this experience?

This is a great car, but this experience leaves me a bit shaken. Hopefully it was just an isolated incident.
  • rxrajrxraj Member Posts: 1
    The 2005 and beyond Odysseys come with a stowable Plus One 2nd row seat. Does anyone know if this will fit into a 2004 Odyssey? I checked with a couple of dealers in my area. The seat is available for $279 but the parts departments have no idea if it will work. Any thoughts??
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I wouldn't modify the van to fit the extra 2nd row seat.

Do you want to worry about your kid being safe?

There is no seat belt mechanism at the ceiling.

Also, the "modified" van may be worth less in the future.
    Sorry to be late checking in. I would think it is an isolated incident.

I did have a similar but not quite so dramatic episode with my 02 Ody (I'm now up to an 04). What happened in this case was that just as I was going to drive my daughter to a local high school football game I look and see the window on the right slider starting to crack. Then I could hear it. It didn't break through but was now a series of connected little pieces of glass none more than maybe 1/4" big. Glass guy said it's just luck of the draw and could happen on any make. I took his word for it and none of the other windows had a problem other than the windshield taking too big a rock.

Rear windows exploding have happened on a bunch of makes but this is the first Honda I ever heard it happen on.
  • scottsdalecardscottsdalecard Member Posts: 1
    Had my transmission replaced by Honda (Under Recall) at 95k and now at 150k it went out again! Anyone have any luck getting them to replace this faulty transmission a second time? I know I got 55k out of it but aren't they suppose to last in the 150k range?

I talked to my service advisro at Honda and he sounded willing to work with me. Any tips to get something off or free would be great!

Thanks,
    Brian
  • tps1tps1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am planning on getting a 2003 odyssey EX from a dealer. the vehicle has 51K on it. when I took it out on a test drive I noticed that a building up rattling sound from the engine which transformed to a vibration when we went to 70mph. I took to a shop to have it checked. the guy said the motor mount ( engine mount) needs to be replaced. Could this be the issue? has anyone had this kind of problem on a Odyssey? the dealer says he will replace the mount. but, i am in a bind as to this will fix the problem or it will have any longterm issues.

Appreciate any reply, Thanks
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    I'd suggest staying away from that year Honda. The 05's and newer seem to be more reliable. Motor mounts have not tended to be an issue in the 03's but transmission problems have been.

If you want that vintage minivan, I'd take a look at a Toyota or Dodge.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    Run as fast as you can and NEVER look back. If it is an e-mount HE should have replaced it and not hoping to find a dope who cannot tell.... NEVER go back there either!!!!
  • tujotujo Member Posts: 1
    Purchased used in early 2005 with 29,000 miles. First incident a couple of months after purchase in the spring. Wife started to pull into garage and passenger window exploded. As of 45 minutes ago 11:30AM 6/30/2007 she was coming down the ramp on to I-85 at 40 miles per hour and the glass exploded inward. She is fine with only a few minor cuts. Usually have 3 children in car seats in back. Ages 2 at 5 years old and a 6 month old. They were not with her. Could have been bad for anyone in back seats because glass went all th way to back. Probably from speed of vehicle and can't imagine this happening at 65 mile per hour on interstate. Highway Patrol is on the scene investigating and filing a report. Today is overcast with light rain. We like the vehicle but found out about 2 major recalls. Transmission locking up while driving causing accidents and faulty fuel tank that can cause vehicle to catch on fire and other problems they will take care of but you would only find out if you talked to your dealer because didn't make recall list. Only problems we experienced so far are side power doors will not work at times and can't get closed, poor gas mileage around 19-21 miles to gallon and the window explosions. Has anyone contacted Honda about a window exploding? We plan to notify them.
  • ohondaohonda Member Posts: 3
    My searches on various forums did not reveal many window problems with the Odyssey. I had one incident and another was reported on this forum as follows:

Message #7121 Re: 2003 Odyssey Exploding Rear Window [ohonda] by fezo May 31, 2007 (1:22 pm)
    Sorry to be late checking in. I would think it is an isolated incident. I did have a ... just as I was going to drive my daughter to a local high school football game I look and see the window on the right slider starting to crack. Then I could hear it. It didn't break through but ...

Message #7118 2003 Odyssey Exploding Rear Window by ohonda May 13, 2007 (10:13 pm)
    Recently I parked my 2003 EXL in my carport and for no explainable reason the rear window suddenly just exploded. My wife heard the noise, went outside to take a look and saw ...

Looks like these may all just be random events.