Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• mavamava Member Posts: 33
    Carisart - If you've got a quote at $67 is that with TTL? If so that's the best deal I've seen yet. Here in LA I’m looking at about 9.043% for TTL. I'm aware of a $1,000 dealer incentive (directly from Edmunds) Not sure where you got the $4k incentive but I'm sure that's by geographic market.

I was the one that reported that they are shipping additional colors. This information was given to me directly by my salesperson that took care of me during the deal.

If you're at all interested in picking one up, throw them out a number and see if they'll entertain it. I went ahead and sent out an RFP to all my local dealers and gave them a deadline to submit quotes by – 3 days.

When all was said and done, I ended up buying the Oxford edition although that wasn't the model that I originally spec'd out. I threw them a fair number and they met my requirements. I also negotiated on my interest rate as well to my favor – yes that is negotiable too.

I realize that bottom line pricing is important. For me the dealership’s reputation, being my local dealership that’s close to my office, their willingness to answer all my questions without any hesitation and giving me exceptional pre-sales service means a lot. After my first service visit that I documented on the board, my sales person contacted service for me, they gave me a new Disco loaner, washed my car, finished the work ahead of schedule and took car of me. I still interact with my sales person who follows up on my ownership experience. Is all that necessary? To some no and arguably no to me as well. But it is a major convenience and validates the choice that I made.

Hope this helps, MAC
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    According to the July 3, 2003 edition of the autospies web site, 2003 Range Rovers can be had for up to $10K below sticker. There is now $4K "money in the trunk."

I know from personal experience that a new 2003 RR, with the Heated Accessories Pkg., can be purchased for under $65K. :-)

No matter how good a deal you cut, or which dealer you choose, I'm sure you'll still get their awesome level of service and attention.
  • carisartcarisart Member Posts: 4
    Thanks MAC & outrigger for your comments. The quote $67k does not incl tax etc. I too, found out about the $4k rebate from autospies.com. Carsdirect.com shows target market price in the same ball park. After I come back from vacation in early Sep, I'll get quotes from serveral more dealers and try to get the best deal. I would still prefer my local dealer even if he may not have the lowest price, as long as the gap is reasonable. BTW, the July sales for Land Rover is down 21% from the same month last year. I don't know the model breakdown figures. Hopefully the dealers are eager to discount to clear inventories.
  • metsfanatic69metsfanatic69 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, finally got the 03 with Oxford and Adriatic Blue with Parchment/Navy interior, and in one word, the car is stunning! That being said, not wanting to ruin the look of the exterior, in terms of putting in a hands-free cell phone kit, does anyone have any suggestions. It would seem to me that cupholder right next to the passenger seat up front that pops out (not closest to the door), but the one directly in front of the console could have a cell kit attached. Anyway, I have a Motorola V60 and was just wondering what kind of kits others had put in their rovers?
  • mavamava Member Posts: 33
    Can't help you with the hands-free cell phone kit, metsfanatic69. Would you happen to have any interior pictures of your parchment Oxford leather? THAT I gotta see! MAC
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Saw 'em beat St. Louis in '69 and have been a fan since. Love your user name :-)

Steve, Host
    (next year!)
    It's now been 6 weeks since I purchased the 2003 RR.

I dropped it at the dealer this week hoping an adjustment could fix it, but was told yesterday that it definitely needs a new motor, and that the "parts are not here yet..."

The guys in the service department are great. There's nothing they can do to get the part in any sooner. They try to look at the bright side by saying that at least my steering column isn't stuck in the down position (mine is stuck in the fully up position, so I feel like a bus driver). From that, I get the impression that quite a few other customers are also waiting for the same part.

So, some advice is requested. How much longer should I wait? If there's still no part after that time, what to do?

Thanks.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Land Rover NA currently has tilt motors in stock. We are however out of complete steering columns. If your dealer only needs a tilt motor they can order one and have it shipped to them overnight. Could you tell me which dealer you are working with?
    tincup47,

Thanks for the offer to help. I just got a computer printed letter in the mail today from my dealer, Land Rover Newport Beach, that says the SOP arrived in their parts department on Friday, 8/15.

Perfect timing. :-)
  • miked03miked03 Member Posts: 21
    I sometimes see Range Rovers (original body) with Country written in script on the back, does anyone know what year that it?
    Actually the badge says "County". This designation was used on vehicles with special trim levels in 89,90,91(with SE designation also),92,93(in both regular and long wheelbase),94(LWB only), 95 (with either classic or LWB), and finally in 2000.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    ...look closely and see if it doesn't look a whole lot like the early Discos too! They shared much of the same bodywork. Great trucks, but avoid the air suspension models.
  • tonytwistu2tonytwistu2 Member Posts: 3
    I"m looking for an older rover,some where in the early 90"s.Any problems/advice you can help me with would be great.Thanks
  • emilisaemilisa Member Posts: 1
    We picked up our 2004 Range Rover on the August 28th and just a few days later the service engine soon light comes on. With less than 28 miles on the car, we are now told there is a malfunction with the air intake management system and of course the part is not in. The dealer claims that this has not been a major problem with the 2003's and this is the first 2004 he has heard of coming in with this problem but ours was in the first shipment to the states and this could be something that is a new "bug". Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and how it turned out?
    Sorry that your new RR is sitting at the dealer while waiting for parts. I haven't heard of this problem before, and I don't think it's a new bug because the 2004 RR is the same as the 2003 model, except for maybe a new paint color and some interior dressing up.
  • haaserhaaser Member Posts: 8
    I am in the market for an 04 Range Rover with the heated accessories package. I understand the 03's are being discounted. What about the 04's? What is a realistic price point?

In addition, how much do the steel side tubes run?
    In addition to tonytwistu2 I am considering and older rover, specifically a County SWB. I am looking at years '92 and '95. I would like to know if these vehicles will be a reliability problem and what in general to look out for when shopping around.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Take a look at John Brabyn's site. It has about as complete a run down on older Range Rovers, that exists (not a forum) http://www.rangerovers.net/index.shtml
    Also if you root around here on Edmunds you can find some info on the RR Classic.
    Cheers
    Pat
    Thanks Kullenberg!

Wow, this is the place to go for anything related to repairs of Range Rovers. Like any older vehicle, parts eventually brake down, but in the case of a Range Rover and its capabilities, it may be worth the expense. I'll be on the fence for a while, and in the meantime, enjoy my year old Disco.

Any sites out there that cure the Land Rover bug?
    I have been looking at 1995 County (Classic body with 3.9 engine) models and have found a few with molded bumpers (front a back) that wrap around up to the wheel well, real nice. I have seen the same year with-out the molded bumpers, so is this a trim level? Here is an example of a 1995 County with the molded bumpers.

http://www.kargoe.com/RREbay

nanuq - know that you've mentioned it, I've noticed that the classic RR's have a lot in common with the Disco both inside and out.
    That was a very limited special edition. In the US it was called a TWR package (TWR was an acronym for Tom Walkinshaw Racing)
  • kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    I currently have a 2002 Mercedes-Benz G500. Are there any Range Rover owners who made the switch? I was very impressed especially with the ride quality which is my primary complain with my G500. I was aware of what I was getting into but thought I would be able to deal with it. Can someone shed some light on the comparison?
  • shredrcashredrca Member Posts: 11
    I just got my 99RR/4.6HSE today! I noticed that one of the six bulbs in the read center brake light array is burnt out. I looked in British Pacific's catalogs but could not find the part number for just that one little bulb. Anyone know the exact part number for that bulb so I can order it online? Thanks!

Shredrca
    Los Angeles, CA
    My 99RR/4.6HSE has 72,200 when I got it today. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on while driving. Research around the NET seems to indicate that it has something to do with turning 60,000 miles and recommending checking the emission system. Is this true on the 99RR? Anyone else seen this on a 99RR?

Thanks!
    The Land Rover part number for the bulb is AFU4481. As far as the service engine light, it is impossible to say with certainty what it is without pulling the P codes from the ECU.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    If it's the same bulb used in the side markers and rear bumper, buy a half dozen when you're in the shop. I replace mine as they burn out, it's about a 30-second operation. Pretty cheap bulbs too!
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    We purchased the car about 2 weeks ago and just love it. The 4.6 L engine has great power and the car is so solid. It makes my Disco II seem very hollow. I have a couple of questions about some issues.
    First, the dealer will not give me a printout of past service history.
    Is this regular? They say they can only give history from THEIR dealer's history. Also, I noticed that the carpet under the drivers footwell mat was wet after extended A/C use and water(condensation) was dripping off the frame under the driver's door. Am I looking at a
    clogged/kinked A/C drainage tube? Tincup, can you tell me a little about the service history of this car since the dealer can't seem to get the info for me? I would appreciate it. It would be nice to know what service had been performed under warranty for the previous owner. This car had 21000 miles coming off lease. It seems otherwise perfect. Got a great deal too. Any info would be great. Vin# YA429639
    Thanks.
  • rwernrwern Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2004 RR and when I get to 60 mph and over there is a loud wind noise and also the windshield vibrates. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think it is the engine; when I take my foot off the gas the noise is still there. I can also get behind an 18-wheeler to block the wind and the noise stops. It sounds like a loud roor, or humming.
    Thanks to all who replied. I found a great source for Range Rover parts: <https://store.tolosatech.com/xks_lr> They even have pictures of the parts and where they fit in the SUV!

As for the "Service Engine Soon" light, the dealer wanted $120 to diagnose it. I found a Range Rover garage (Four Oaks in Santa Monica, CA) that would do it for $75. Very reputable. Recommended. Ask for Larry. He found the error codes, and reset them. I will drive it for a week and see if the light comes back on.

The SUV had a near empty tank when I drove it off the lot. The manual said that if you do this, the Service Engine Soon light could come on. Larry found other error codes, which may or may not be related. Well soon see.

Shredrca
    Los Angeles, CA
    The saga begins...

This is my second Range Rover; I got it just last weekend and I love it! My first one was a 1990 so I'm not alien to Rover problems.

Last night, I put the air suspension on my 1999 RR 4.6 HSE on "Access/Crawl" mode and I left the headlamps on. So this morning the battery was dead. AAA gave it a jump start, but the air suspension lights all lit up and stayed lit. The dash said "Slow: 35 MPH Max". The car refused to leave Access mode. I checked the manual and it said to take it to the dealer.

I drove it (slowly) for about an hour to SEARS and the battery checked out fine.

I then drove it to Larry at Four Oaks in Santa Monica, CA. He found that the switch relay under the driver seat was bad (or went bad). That part should cost about $130. He wasn't sure if the jump-start caused it to fail, or if it was just a coincidence. Or maybe because the battery was completely dead.

My question is this: has anyone seen this happen to them before on Range Rover II vehicles?

Thanks in advance.

Shredrca
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are hundreds of reasons the service engine soon light can come on. So while your problem is one of the reasons, the chances are very slim that someone else will have an identical problem.
    Please respond to post #184 if you can. I would really appreciate some background on the car . Thanks in advance.
    There is a TIB that addresses the noise you describe. Your dealer should be able to find the problem and the solution for your issue. The TIB number is 76/10/03/NAS and is entitled "Wind Noise Corrective Actions"
    Different retailers have their own opinions on how much info to share due to privacy concerns. Also, our system only tracks warranty history, it does not track anything the customer might have paid to have done to it. I don't see any major problems occuring in this vehicle's history, the biggest repair was replacement of the radio head unit. Congratulations on your new vehicle.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sure is nice having you participate and do the VIN lookups around here - many thanks!

Steve, Host
    Thank you for your patience and time you spend looking up info for all of us. You are appreciated.
    Both my 1997 and 1999 Range Rovers had a windshield buzzing problem. At a certain speed, the loud buzzing would start, then the only way to stop it was to slow down until it quit.

My dealer had the rubber strip at the top of the windshield re-sealed (they used an outside contractor that came to the dealership to do it) and the problem was completely fixed on both vehicles.
  • theborgtheborg Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased the 2003 RR, and already the tilt motor has been replaced, but, now the entire steering column moves up & down and must be replaced. How much of this is normal before you should start looking into the Lemon Law thingy? Love the vehicle (hate the color, White Gold), but is this something I should be concerned about? Or, will Land Rover replace the vehicle if the problem can't be fixed? Also, is it normal for the BMW engine to be kind of noisy, like a sports car/sedan? And finally, does anyone else have "grabby" brakes? This is my first RR, hope it's not my last.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    The steering column issue has been addressed many times on this site, but once fixed you should have no problems. If your entire column is moving, it may be an installation issue.
    With regard to the engine noise, I too, at first, found it to be a little noisier than I expected, but after a time you will find it is more of an acceptable "sporty roar" than an overstressed under-engineered unit. One test I read noted that the engine "sings" (a positive term I believe!) and now I tend to think of that every time I crank-up the revs. It really is a nice sounding unit.
  • jamesab25jamesab25 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new RR in June (manufactured in March 2003) and over the last 60 days have had following intermittent electrical issues and am curious if anyone else has:

1. Left Xenon headlight (low beam) does not always come on; sometimes turning car off and on makes it work. I took it into dealership back in August and they told me they reset something, but the problem persists.
    2. Sunroof - again an intermittent problem closing the roof.
    3. Retracting side mirrors - one time problem a week ago when the mirrors would not retract, then only the left, then only the right!!!

Apart from these very frustrating issues I am loving the rig; it is my 3rd RR and easily the best of the bunch.
  • lakegenevalakegeneva Member Posts: 3
    There is a 95 LWB for sale. 186,000 miles and asking 5000. After reading some of the posts I guess I would go a lot lower. I might have my 18 driving it. Would I just be visiting the repair shop with very expensive repairs. It is at the mechanics lot and I hope to get and honest answer on its mechanical quality.
    Some have loved theirs, but this is a high mileage vehicle
    thanks for your thoughts.
    TTFN
    lakegeneva
    Tincup47 is right. Dealers can pull up that information in their computer but it's up to them if they want you to have it.

I was able to get a printout from Hornburg Land Rover Service in Santa Monica, CA. It had all the warranty service jobs that were done to the vehicle--at least the ones that were reported by other dealers.

Good luck!

Shredrca
  • lmo1lmo1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with my 2002RR with a high pitched noise. In my case, according to the dealer, there was an issue with the glue that holds the windshield. They had to remove the windshield and reseal/reglue it.. once they did that the noise went away. Apparently this is a known problem.
  • workshopmanworkshopman Member Posts: 2
    I own a 95 RR and have the same problem before when the alternator was not charging my battery and eventually the air suspension system set to crawl mode as it does not have the power to rise it to normal AFTER a few tries. I have to send it back to a range rover dealer to reset the system. It cost only a few bucks..
  • workshopmanworkshopman Member Posts: 2
    Same problem seen. In my case, it is a leak from the inlet water to the heat exchanger underneath the main console. It is pain to get to and work with. The problem is the clamps used to join the two pipes (inlet from the engine compartment and the heat exchange unit) together is not water tiec
  • theborgtheborg Member Posts: 2
    When the car is in Neutral and Park, the idle is so smooth you don't even know the car is on. But, put it in drive, depress the brake pedal and there is a slight vibration felt in the brake pedal and steering wheel. Is this normal, or am do I need to make another run to the dealer? This is my first RR, having come from a Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer and riding in a friend's Cadillac SUV. So, I am comparing the engine performance to the smoothness of the Caddy. Also, my brother-in-law's 2000 RR, truly has a much more pronounced idle and engine presence that he says is the norm. Am I being too picky? After all, we are talking about 70-thousand-dollars-plus machines. Talk to me fellas. Don't just read. All in all, it is quite a head turner. Thanks.
  • ride44ride44 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 RR, coming from a 2001 GMC Denali, and I also find a similar problem.
    When taking off from a stoplight, I personally feel too much vibration in the gas pedal, and too much of an either induction noise or perhaps even a drive train noise from the area to the right of the gas pedal.
    I am also wondering if this is normal. I still have my Denali and it feels smoother under load.
    To me the RR cabin noise is too loud when it is under load.
    Anyone else have thoughts on this?
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Now that BMW and Rover have split, how much longer will the BMW drive train be used? Will it be a 3V 5.4 Ford as soon as MY 2005?
  • discofundiscofun Member Posts: 26
    Wear that seatbelt! Three people, two seatbelts, one DOA.

My friend says the DOA was sitting in the rear middle, leaning forward, conversing with the driver and front passenger.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/9175.htm
  • rrmaniacrrmaniac Member Posts: 7
    Live in Atlanta....drove my RR 2004 to Colorado. Had the wind noise in windshield. Glenwood Springs LR dealer immediately knew about technical bulletin calling for replacement of cowl....now it's fine.