Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Unfortunately a retrofit is not possible.
  • lovephotolovephoto Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04' RR and I wonder what the 4 items are next to the rear seat grab handles. Two are by the handles and 2 are in the rear section in the back on each side. There is no mention of the in the owners manual. Pleae help.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Hooks for the "dog screen" in 4 seat position and with rear seats folded.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Reading about the Touareg on other forums (which shall remain nameless) is enough to put one off VW forever. Large numbers of battery failures, lots of lemon law buy backs (at least VW will do it). The quality of service seems to be very spotty; some dealers have not a clue how to deal with these vehicles.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I previously owned a 2000 GTI. I will not consider another VW, particularly the Touareg. If VW could not properly design, build nor repair my GTI, I have my doubts about the far more complicated Touareg. YMMV.
  • youngturkyoungturk Member Posts: 30
    2005 Range Rovers are starting to arrive at LR dealerships - LR Dallas has a Black/Sand that's not spoken for. No details about pricing etc.

Is the rear-seat DVD system entertainment system now standard? Is it the same system that can be installed as a dealer-option on '04 or '03 models?

Thanks,

YoungTurk
    '04 Java Black/Sand
    The 03-04 DVD system is not compatable with the 05 MY vehicle. There should be an accessory kit available around the first of the year.
    Tincup - is the rear-seat DVD entertainment system standard or an option on the '05's? If an option, is it dealer or factory-installed?

YoungTurk
    '04 Java Black/Sand
    There will initially only be the dealer installed accessory. The factory installed option will be later, but I do not have an introduction date.
    Tincup - is the rear-seat DVD entertainment system standard or an option on the '05's? If an option, is it dealer or factory-installed?

YoungTurk
    '04 Java Black/Sand
    Right now it isn't available. I would imagine it will be an option. Options are factory installed, if it is dealer installed it is an accessory. Land Rover does not have dealer installed options.
  • jpnalajpnala Member Posts: 6
    I traded my 2003 for an 05. The differences are a touch screen voice activated nav and stereo that is superior to the old bmw system. It memorizes 2 user voices. The side mirrors are different and the cargo cover has an integrated pull up dog guard/cargo net. The only options are 20" wheels and the lux seat package. I got the seats and the leather and adjustability are superior to my 03.The seats are 5000 extra but my 03 heated seat/ski bag option was 1500 and that is included so the effective price is 3500. The sticker increase was only 700 more than the 04. My only complaint with the 03 was the nav so I am very happy. There is no rear dvd option but as before the dealers can out source that for @ 2500.
    Was the leather top dash continued on the 05 Luxury package?
  • oscarstoyoscarstoy Member Posts: 2
    I read an article in a Spain newspaper that the DVD Rear seat monitors were standard in the European market...and actually saw pictures of the headrest monitors in the article...I would have to search to find it again if anyone is interested but I am crossing my fingers for that standard or option, I think it is worth it, they looked really good.
    the leather dash is in mine and does not squeak or rattle however the dealer (atlanta) told me they are using up the last of the stock and are returning to composite and if mine becomes a problem it will be replaced with composite. Also, the radio is Sirius ready and has excellant controls. We went on a 500 mile trip this weekend and were very pleased. The michelins ride much quieter than the good year garbage
  • equestrian3equestrian3 Member Posts: 3
    As the owner of two lexus vehicles I have been become somewhat "spoiled" by their reliability. My current rides are both 04's one an LS430 and and GX470. I am trading the LS for a new 05 LS and am considering trading the GX for a 05 RR. I absolutely love the style and ride of this premium SUV, but question the reliability and future resale value, I have a history of trading every 18 months on average, which has been easy to do with Lexus' high resale values. Any thoughts on this from current RR owners.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    But If you're used to Lexus reliability and non-maintenance, you're probably gonna be disappointed with anything European.
  • schebscheb Member Posts: 5
    Did Rover switch to Michelins or did you get the larger tire wheel size?

Thanks
    They are the standard 255-55-19. Rover has switched thank god. The good years are terrible
  • dodydody Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a new SUV and want to use it as a daily car. what about Range Rover as a car for daily use. I know the LX470 but I'm interested in the new Range Rover. and what about the Range Rover reliability mentioned by some users. I'm hesitated between those two cars please advice.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Anything European likes frequent maintenance much more than anything Japanese. Everything else, is in the middle somewhere.
  • hooburyhoobury Member Posts: 2
    jpnala, I'm considering doing the exact same thing for mostly the same reasons. I have an '03 (got one of the first) and wanted to trade it in for the new '05. I will also get the upgraded leather b/c I want the shoulder adjustment. Had trouble with that in the older one. My only other major complaints were the nav are tires. I had already switched my tires out to pirellis b/c michelins were not available and I hated the good years. Had an incredibly loud humm with the good years.

Anyhow, my main question is, have you hooked up the sirius? how is it? This was something I was very much looking forward to but then heard nothing about and they haven't publicized it at all. Sirius says land rover will offer but its not anywhere to be found. If they have it, can't understand why they don't publicize it. But you're the first person i've heard confirm it can do it so that's encouraging.
    The owners manual has 10 pages telling you how to use it, however, it is for european models only I have now discovered. There is also a manual for the wireless cameras it does not have. Kind of like the useless button we had on the steering wheel of the 03. Why they do these stupid things sometimes is beyond me. The seats are superior in comfort as well as the quality of the leather. The nav/stereo even without the sirius is supurb. Just get the xm commander and install the control unit in the overhead glasses holder and use the remote.
  • hooburyhoobury Member Posts: 2
    European only, eh?! That sucks. Satellite radio was one of the two reasons I wanted a new one (along with the lux seats). Like I said, I kept hearing that they would be adding it but then no publicity on it. I had gone to a land rover event in DC and they said it was Sirius ready but weren't sure. I may wait now. B/c I have also heard it could be a mid-year intro. Would hate to get one and then have it put in a few months later.

What xm commander are you referring to?

Yes, I remember the button. My dealer and I had a fun time trying to figure out what that was for.
  • shugurlshugurl Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a 2005 Range Rover in Giverny Green. I'm stressing over the color as I've owned black cars in the past but want something different. Am I making the right decision. Help a female here!
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    argh. so what did make it into the US version of the 2005 RR?

is there bluetooth?
    is the backup camera there or is it the same beeping parking assist system from 2003?
    Bluetooth is supported on the 2005 RR. Parking assist is still an audible warning.
    Yikes, I just bought an '05 and I'm a woman so if my battery goes dead I'll have a nervous breakdown, thank god for roadside assistance. What is everyone's take on giverny green? It's my first non-black car. I bought it b/c of the touch screen. somehow I think my hubby is going to take over this car.
    Just curious would it be difficult to add satellite radio later?
    Wait til November you should be able to get the same price if you play your cards right.
    I went to the dealer earlier this month that had one 05 and ordered mine. they are arriving at the ports however while mine was suppose to be here on the 24th, it is now the 27th. who knows why..... trust me the dealers want them fast...
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    Ok, as an owner of a 2003 RR, I have to ask this question. I haven't seen any reviewer talk about this and I wish they would, but what does $30K get you in an RR over an LR3? RR has a smaller engine, less cargo space, both have similar toys: park distance control & the same nav system, radio w/bluetooth, similar air suspension system, LR3 has Terrain Control etc. And additionally, some stuff that would make the RR different (like VentureCam) gets dropped for the US in the float over the pond.

So what makes the RR worth more? Is it all about leather, more interior style and the name? and that's OK if it is, i just wonder what others think.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I came to the same conclusion when I attended a driving event sponsored by Land Rover in Irvine California(within sight of Newport Beach). We drove the RR off road with an instructor and I was very impressed. They had a LR3 on display with factory reps. to demo the features. The consensus was the only advantage the RR had (in addition to more wood) was the "prestige factor" for those in Newport wishing the more expensive SUV. I have yet to drive it but the stats look superior to the RR.(at least until next year when it gets the supercharged Jaguar engine). Although I was about to get a RR I've now decided to wait until I can evaluate the LR3. Since it isn't my primary vehicle I especially value the extra space and seating which to me is a big disadvantage in the RR.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Shugurl, how dark is giverny green? Green cars don't usually have great resale value when it's time to trade. Terry in "Real World Values" in the Smart Shopper section always calls green, "no sale green"..... also, he says the same thing about blue. He's the expert but if you like green, buy green.

I've been rather interested in the LR3 over the RR. My brother just bought a 2003 LR2 and is really enjoying it. A friend of mine just bought a 2004 RR, dark blue, and it rides nice. But a vehicle that large should have more seating than just for five.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Giverny green is light, seafoam greenish color. My husband doesn't like RR's, obnoxious status thing in his opinion (he's so conservative) but I do although I've never driven something this large before. The LR3 sort of reminds me of the Lexus I like the distinction of the RR (lights). I agree it should have more seating for that size of a car. The steering seems loose compared to a BMW but I'm thinking of all the things that don't fit into a small convertible and it seems so wonderful. love the touch screen goodies too. I called the dealer after your email and he says when my car arrives if I don't like the green he'll let me have the black. What are you driving now? whew thanks for your advice....
    Go for the RR. I live in a golf community and every grandpa in here drives a lexus and I always think assisted living is coming soon. yes resale forget the RR, my BMW dealer even told me people come in trying to trade them and it's not great but leasing might be a great idea especially if you don't put on a lot of miles. and think about how hot you'll look.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    According to Land Rover literatures, both RR and LR3 have similar chassis strength. However, for an off-roader, the LR3 has an optional rear locker which makes a big difference in off-roading. Both have similar suspension travel.

For pure off-roading, i would get the LR3. However, for on-road ride and prestige, i would get RR. I have heard that in '06, RR would get the Terrain Response and rear locker. So, if you have the time to wait, then wait.
    To answer your question, I drive an 2002 Mercedes ML500 and a 2000 Mercedes E430 sport.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • dodydody Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a new SUV and I'm hesitated between the Lexus LX470 which i had and Range Rover. Money not the big issue for me but i want to know about the reliability of Range rover and is it comfortable as car for daily use and what is the best color for it

Please Advice
    My father drives an LX 470 and I drive an '04 Java Black Range Rover. In my opinion, the Range Rover cuts a far more distinctive swath than the Lexus. It is just a better vehicle period. After 6 months and nearly 8,000 miles, my Rangie has been bulletproof and bank-vault solid. Build quality and reliability have both been excellent and second to none.

I think the Black/Sand and Silver/Parchment are the 2 best color combinations.

YoungTurk
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    hopefully you will have your wireless phone to call 'roadside' if you battery goes dead. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    Shugurl,just wanted to let you know the giverny green comes with the reverse seating colors on the lux package e.g. Aspen seats with ivory piping. Makes it somewhat more practical, plus all the other upgrades that come with the lux. I was a little hesitant about purchasing a green car but after seeing it at the dealership today I am extremely happy.
    ok so you bought that one? they called today and they are delivering it to me tomorrow. so excited. hopefully they fill it to the brim with gas... haa.
    The only wish I had for the Giverny Green was that it would be a little more "green" instead on the "grey" it appears to be in most lighting conditions. BUT, it is pleasantly subtle.
    The BEST part of the Giverny Green deal is that it comes with the Cherry Wood trim, which I wish was available across the range. My walnut, by comparison is very dull.
    BTW.. you will NEVER miss your black car: polish swirls show, dust shows, it gets too hot in summer.
    Tell me about the summer heat, I'm in Florida. Yes they delivered my car today, I'm in love and they drove away with my old bmw. now I need a class D license. OK people is it just me or is it strange that there are no floor mats, or did they hose me? I don't get it??? The touch radio is difficult for me right now but I need to read the manuals, it must be easier. I just love this car!!!
    Shugurl, I saw the Giverny Green yesterday and it is much nicer looking than I thought it was going to be. I like the fact that it has a 'Greyish' color rather than true green.

You have bought a beautiful SUV. I've had 3 black cars in the past and I agree with Sam that the swirl marks in the black paint becomes a problem. Way back in 1984, I had a new black/mink leather Peugeot 505 STI. I found a wonderful wax that removes all the swirls (Malm's Wax). It's about $40 per bottle for the two step process but it's worth it to remove all swirls and minor scratchs. I still use it on my 'other color' cars.

Mark
  • vdandyvdandy Member Posts: 2
    I had an '03 Giverny Green RR...my wife called it a "girly-man" color.
    vdandy, although the Giverny Green is nice, I would lean towards white or silver myself, even the goldie beige is not bad.

Mark
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Can someone here that has driven/seen a 2005 Range Rover tell me if the two pictures here represent the new Phone/Bluetooth GUI and Touchscreen Main Menu on the '05 Range Rover? Land Rover UK's web site implies it's the Discovery 3's interface, but it's very suspect. (Land Rover NA and all current documentation says the LR3 Navigation Touchscreen screen is only used for Navigation and 4x4 Information - nothing else, like "Phone" and "Audio/Video".)

From here. The two bottom sections: "Bluetooth enabled" and "Optional touch-screen driver interface".