Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    And believe me, the difference is HUGE!!! They ride like a 58 Chevy Apache with those steel spring aftermarket conversion kits installed.....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another auto show link.

Steve, Host
  • nycrrnycrr Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone heard anything about pricing for the 06 RR. It would seem that they are going to have to raise prices on the base engine RR, so the can find a price segment for the RR Sport. I would also think that the Supercharged RR will be in the 90+ price range.
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    Not sure about price, but from surfing the US landrover site saw 2 really well put together videos one of the new range sport and one of the 2006 supercharged range, showing off all the new goodies, looks great....

seems like the 2006 models will be coming sooner rather than later given they are showing 3 minute videos and have detailed info on the site already....

The Uk landrover site also has new info on the sport......
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for your comments, and I apologize for not responding sooner. I had talked myself out of a RR, an associate had a steering column come loose on his at 70mph on the Interstate. According to him, he had to manually hold the column in place while his wife drove (her car), That seems pretty extreme though as far as I know he has no axe to grind with LR or RR.

But anyway I am back because this vehicle is so compelling, inspite of all the glitches, breakdowns and meltdowns, I still want one of these trucks. And I hate to admit it, but it's all about ego. This truck makes little sense (for me), other than I will look great in it. I mean really, a Land Cruiser will be perfect, an all weather vehicle to meet my business and personal travel obligations, bulletproof, and bank vault reliable.......perfect! Just not as cool as owning a Range Rover would be. Shallow but true!

I thank you for helping to build a case for RR, btw, why did you state you would not recommend it for the highway??
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    the turbo 2006 Rangie is supposed to be over $100K. ouch.

I talked to a sales guy at a local auto-show a couple of days ago and he said ship dates for the big RR are September and for the Sport, June.
  • sta2sta2 Member Posts: 19
    I posted this ? in the Sport forum, but realized that there are many more eyeballs here. Sorry for the cross post.

Looks like the new RR Sport underpinnings and interior is more LR3 than RR. Does anyone know if the 2nd. row seats fold flat like the new LR3?

Thnaks
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Have you consider the Mercedes G500?? It's unique along with awesome off-roading ability (just in case you need it).
  • jamesab25jamesab25 Member Posts: 2
    what are folks finding mileage/months to be when pads require changing. my garage notified me that I am at 2mm on front and 3mm on rear. My vehicle was bought in May 2003 and has ~21K miles.

Cost: $1202 to replace front/rear
  • ctdwctdw Member Posts: 13
    Purchased a 05 Range Rover (Silver/Parchment-Navy) this week. I will be picking it up on Thursday. I have owned 2 Rovers in the past, the last one was 6.5 years ago and was very reliable.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have a lot of issues. It was between a Cayenne and this. I just sold my Touareg, so I couldn't get excited about the Cayenne.
    I'll bet, next to a Touareg, the RR is dead-bang reliable!!!!
  • mikey94025mikey94025 Member Posts: 8
    Could you tell us a little more about your experiences with the Tourag? I'm sure that other people might find this useful if they're thinking about whether to buy a vehicle like the V8 Tourag vs. stepping up and going for the RR.

We have an 03 RR now and while I really like it, I am intrigued by the larger selection of luxury SUVs that are out there now at a lower price point (including the new LR3 and the upcoming, cheaper RR Sport) and wondering about when it comes time to replace our RR, what we would look at.
  • ctdwctdw Member Posts: 13
    Our Touareg did have a few issues including...

Flickering compass display that there was no fix for. Air suspension fault messages that appeared and went away. Light fault messages that appeared and went away. A number of interior rattles that could not be fixed by the dealer. Key remote was worthless, would only work when right next to the car. And lastly we had noticeable take off lag and rough shifting. The software was updated, but it didn't smooth out the transmission.

If you spend time on some of the VW forums, you will see that my issues are minor compared to a number of owners. The biggest complaint I would have is the poor service provided by VW dealers. They didn't seem interested in really resolving the issues. The service I got on my previous two Rover's was much better.
  • shugurlshugurl Member Posts: 22
    How do I use this thing? I have a bluetooth phone and was wondering do I need an adapter from the car to the phone, just wondering what the cable looking thing in the center console plugs into. ugh,,,,so irritating.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    If you want to "dock" it, you need to purchase a compatible cradle for your phone from Land Rover. (If it exists.) That's what the cable is for. This will extend your antenna, charge your phone and integrate it.

Alternatively, you can use Bluetooth (wirelessly) with no dock... but a few features won't work.

Read the Range Rover Navigation & Telephone Systems manual for more information.
    THANKS!
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    Can anyone reccomend a good quality tire? I have the 20" Wheels & drive mostly freeway in Southern California so snow is not an issue, thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might be interested in Tires, tires, tires or pay a visit to our local Tire Rack representative: Ask Connor at The Tire Rack

tidester, host
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    from The Times (March 13, 2005):

First Drive: Supercharged Range Rover V8
    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12929-1521263,00.html
    V12 Range Rover Still in the Works (Edmunds SUVs Newsletter).

Steve, Host
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    I am considering buying a Lexus LX470 or a Range Rover. Which one is better in your opinion? I am leaning towards the Lexus.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    >>Lexus LX470 or a Range Rover. Which one is better in your opinion? <<
    My hunch is that you are not going to get particulaly unbiased opinions in this form, but here goes:
    1. the Lexus is technically a 10 year old design
    2. the Lexus has real ho-hum 1980's styling
    3. the Lexus is classic big on the outside/small on the inside - what's with that long hood?
    4. the Lexus has excellent build quality
    5. The RR looks up to date
    6. the RR has an interior that is really unique.. check the cherry trim
    7. RR quality is excellent.. I have had 2 RR with ZERO problems
    8. the RR off road ability, is light years ahead.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for replying, but I disagree with a few things.

You say the LX470 has ho-hum styling, from the 1980's. I admit the current design dates back to 1998, yet I still think it looks modern enough for 2005. In contrast, I think the Range Rover is way to boxy. Couldn't they have thrown just a few curves in the exterior design?

The Range Rover does have good off road ability but so does the LX470. It is after all based on the legendary Toyota Land Cruiser.

The Lexus LX470 has way more cargo room than inside than a Range Rover. The max cargo a Range Rover can hold is 62 cubes, which is pathetic. That is the amount that a small SUV holds, not something the Range Rover's size. The LX470 can hold about 90 cubes.

Finally $73,000 is a huge price for the Range Rover. I wonder just how expensive the new 300 hp and 400hp versions will be?
    Wait till you price a V12 Range Rover that's under development. (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    I unlocked my trunk but not the doors and loaded some items, apparently I left my keys in the trunk and closed. It locked my keys inside the car. Why wouldn't it leave the trunk portion unlocked? The locksmith was not able to get into my car and RR was closed for Good Friday. My main issue is why the trunk would not remain unlocked once I popped the open trunk portion, is it b/c the doors were not unlocked? what if I would have left kids or a dog inside, could have been a disaster! I have a rental til my husband gets home from his trip. FYI!!!
  • mikey94025mikey94025 Member Posts: 8
    I sympathize with what happened and that's a terrible thing to happen. Unfortunately, it's a feature that the "trunk release" doesn't unlock the car (i.e. that's why the doors didn't unlock) so you can remove something from the trunk, close the trunk, and leave. I hope everything worked out for you and you weren't too inconvenienced.

It would be safer if the trunk release left the trunk unlocked but it would be a security risk. What if you use the trunk release, put something in and left, and assumed that your trunk was secure?

Personally, I never use the trunk release because I know that unlocking the car lets me open the trunk via the outside latch. Like you, I'd rather have everything unlock and know that it's such.
  • dchubertdchubert Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone found a XM tuner that can "plug and play" through the auxilliary input on the radio head of a 2005 RR?
  • dchubertdchubert Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone found a cable or cradle that will adapt the handset in the 2005 RR (NOKIA) to Motorola?
    This feature is not unique to your Rover, shugurl - it's the same on my Navigator, and my Mountaineer, and most other cars I am aware of. Sorry for your misfortune. Fortunately, my Lincoln has the keypad on the door, so I can enter my 5 digits, and get into the truck if I leave my keys on the floor and get in, and handy feature that I wish other cars would adopt.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    A V-12-powered Range Rover? Someone tell them not to make it. The 2006 Range Rover will be available with the new aluminum Jaguar XJR's 4.2 liter 390 hp supercharged V-8 but modified for off-road duty.

I'm glad the Range Rover doesn't look like some boring, cross-over suv. It needs to keep its distinctive styling.
    "needs to keep its distinctive styling."

AGREED!
    First Drive: 2006 Range Rover Sport

Talk about it in the Range Rover Sport - 2006 discussion.

And don't forget to vote.

Steve, Host
  • skullskull Member Posts: 2
    I have a '03 RR Vogue, and thinking of trading to a Cayenne S. There is no problem with the RR but I think its not well suited for driving fast, I think the Cayenne would suit my driving style better. The RR is a very comfotable car was wondering if I am making the right decision. I am eyeing a slightly used loaded Cayenne with about 900km. When I bought my RR it was also slightly used with 800km. Also I have this annoying buzzing noise coming from the front windshield which apparently happens while driving more than 60km/hr (about 30 MPH), but it comes and goes especially when its raining.
  • lrdealerlrdealer Member Posts: 8
    There is a small metal ring your dealership should provide that will allow your key to attach to any key ring you desire.
    Not true at all. The coupon is directly from Land Rover North America, and only customers who have received the coupon are entitled to the extra discount. There is no way for the dealer to add anyone to the list. Your dealer should already know if you have a coupon, because they are provided with a list of people who have received it.
    Your dealership will be able to contact Land Rover and get confirmation that you received the coupon. If you have truly lost it, it is not needed to get the discount.
    There are no blackberrys approved for the Range Rover. Your dealer has a list of the phones (and software versions) that are fully compatible with the 2005 Range Rover bluetooth. If you choose a phone that is not on the list, you very well may have connection problems.
    Your dealer could have activated daytime running lights which function very similarly to automatic headlights.
    In 2005 Range Rover does come with automatic headlights. The 2005 does also have a newer navigation system than the Lexus (touch screen DENSO).
  • matthewdmatthewd Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I have my eye on a 2004 LR Certified Discovery HSE7, but the Range Rover keeps calling my name. The dealer around here has plenty of '03 certified Range Rovers, but they are (obviously) more expensive. Assuming either could be handled financially, which would be the truck of choice? This might sound like a no-brainer to most people, but the Disco seems to suit my needs which are:

-Towing a 19' ski boat (Mastercraft X-7) up to Wisconsin (some towing on dirt roads/dirt boat ramps)
    -Handling Chicago snow
    -Driving/parking/living in downtown Chicago

I looked at some Chevys to tow the boat, but they would be a bear to deal with in downtown Chicago, parking and everything. Since it's an HSE7, the Discovery has the rear seating, 2 sunroofs, and the rear parking assist. It also has a navigation system, but it's not screen-based. I know the '03 Range Rover has a screen-based one. Does anyone know if it is touch-screen or not?

I like the look of both trucks, but obviously the Range Rover is more appealing. Any tips, or opinions? Is the Range Rover worth giving up the extra 2 seats for? And the price....worth an extra $20,000 for an '03 with more miles? The other hesitation I have is that I'm almost 6'3", and the Discovery is smaller up front than my '03 Durango I just sold.

Thanks,
    -Matt
    There is a fix for the windshield vibration you describe. Ask your dealer to check on the specific TSB, and they should fix it free of charge.
  • skullskull Member Posts: 2
    Do you have a copy of the specific TSB ? my dealer here is quite slow in getting them as there are not many RR here in Indonesia.
  • mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    My sister purchased a 2004 Range Rover and unlike her 2002, the 2004 has a serious vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. What causes this and what would be the cure?? Other than that complaint and the fact that there is no automatic headlight off switch, she enjoys the vehicle. She buys a new vehicle every 3 years and racks on the miles, but this simple complaint has just about turned her off with the vehicle and the brand. Any advice that I may provide to her would be greatly appreciated. Thank You kindly.
    The vibration just about has to be a bad tire or out of balance wheel.....

The Brits don't get automatic headlight switches - that's an old American trick, that the Japanese finally got used to, the Brits are the last to adapt. That, she's going to have a hard time fixing.....
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    I was wondering if 5.4% below MSRP is a decent deal on the RR at this point in time. Given economic factors, including fuel prices, the LR3 effect, and the '06 RR model coming soon, I'm wondering if I'll do a lot better than the x-plan (Ford Partner Pricing Plan) in a couple of months. I'm interested in this group's pricing experiences and predictions for the '05 RR.
  • ilovechicagoilovechicago Member Posts: 1
    i am - did you ever get your issue resolved.

please let me know- i am frustrated beyond belief-

this was the main reason for me going with the 05 over 04
    I just did better not using the x-plan. I had two dealers competing for my biz, and since I was initially using the x-plan, I thought the only variable was the amount I would be given on my trade in. Then one of the dealers asked if I had to use the x-plan for any specific reason When I said no, he came in and beat the price on the x-plan. I did not want to wait too long for further reductions since I wanted mine in a specific color combo and with the luxury package and was watching them disappear as there has been a rush to buy the 05's with the BMW powerplant before they are gone. I also had a coupon for 2000 off from LR which was only good till the end of April. THe one drawback of buying an 05 and not an 06 is that there will be an external connection for an ipod or mp3 player, and satelite radio and dvd will be offerred as options on the 06, and although the faceplate is the same on the 05, it can not be upgraded. Only aftermarket products can be used.
    Otherwise, except for the same frustration everyone else is having with connecting other Bluetooth phones than the few recommended by LR, my RR is GREAT without the old need to return to the dealer for fixes after the first day/week.
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the info. X-plan pricing didn't sound overwhelmingly like a real bargain, and you confirmed. I chatted with a sales guy yesterday, without discussing firm numbers, and he indicated as you did.
    What color combo did you select? I'm favoring silver with navy luxury interior, or black with charcoal luxury interior. Excluding the 2k coupon, what % below MSRP?
    It sounds like from your observations I shouldn't expect any crazy discounts like I saw on '04 Discos when the LR3 hit the market.
    TSB reference:
    Wind Noise Corrective Actions
    Reference: 76/10/03/NAS (3)
    Silver w/Navy. Did not like the charcoal. Looked too grey compared to the black exterior.