Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks NVBanker. I appreciate the feedback!
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 05 Range Rover which now has 13K Miles. Since day one (6 miles on the clock)
    I have had a serious vibration on the steering wheel at freeway speeds. After the 3rd trip to the dealership I had it evaluated by a independent tire shop & was informed that the passenger side front & rear wheels were bent. The dealership here in San Diego is totally clueless & initially were trying to tell me that the vibration is normal for a 4WD. When I informed them of the problem they had no choice but to replace the wheels which are the factory 20" They claimed it was a factory defect when the problem continued I returned again, this time (after 10 days at the dealership) all the tires were replaced with Michelins........ and the problem is still there. I was really looking forward to getting this car, I waited a year in order to get the touch screen nav & the Bluetooth I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I think the car is overpriced & poorly put together. When Toyota launch the new Land cruiser I will be first in line.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Based on that report, I would tend to agree with you. My Navigator still runs smooth as silk with 30,000 miles on it, at any speed, so no reason why your Range shouldn't for almost twice the money.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Enhancements for 2006 include:

Dynamics: Sharper steering, crisper braking performance, and improved air suspension.

Refinement: A quieter interior and additional color combinations.

Technology: Adaptive headlights, tire-pressure monitoring, touch-screen control for audio, phone and off-road driving information.

Safety: A rear-view camera that projects directly to the front-fascia screen.

Entertainment: Available rear seat entertainment package featuring a six-disc DVD changer, twin screens, and headphone pods, all fully integrated with the vehicle’s sound system.

The new 4.4 liter V-8 that will power the Range Rover is based on Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 which is far better than the 4.0 liter V-8 from the 1997 Jaguar XK8. The 4.4 liter V-8 has been tuned for more low-end torque and off-road driving. The new 4.4 liter V-8, as used in the new LR3, is expected to have better fuel economy than the outgoing BMW V-8.
    2006 Land Rover Range Rover.

check it out here

New preproduction Range Rover
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    What makes you think that the styling will change with the addition of a V-12? I read an interview with one of Land Rovers "power brokers" and he stated the V-12 already fits the current Range Rover. So relax, take a deep breathe, get a grip!
    I don't see why the Range Rover would need an Aston Martin V-12. It would have to be modified for off-road duty and the new 4.2 liter 390 hp supercharged V-8 already has a lot of power.">
  • jag5334jag5334 Member Posts: 2
    It is hard to negotiate a deal for the 2005 model. I ended up purchasing a used 2004 at RR Encino. The 2005 was 75k-78k. Demand is high. I did not need bluetooth so having a 2004 worked out for me. The RR had 20,000k on it, silver,
    wihte with blue trim. Dealer records were clean. Dealer wanted 68000, Paid 61000 out the door. Very Happy so far.
  • jag5334jag5334 Member Posts: 2
    I drive a lot in LA and i recently owned a Cadillac Escalade that got stolen. I replaced it with the Range Rover and it is easier to park. It is about the same size in length as the Cadilac but there are two destinct advantages.

1. Parking assist front and back, Escalade only offers this for the rear.
    2. You can lower the vehicle to help get you into a garage. The Openhimer building in Westwood is an example where an Escalade cannot enter the building. Drove me nuts paying 12.00 a day to park outside. RR gets in with no issues.

Get the Rover you will love it!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That would be good information to post in Land Rover LR3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.

tidester, host
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    We just negotiated a 2005 RR with lux package for dealer invoice (actually, 1000 over invoice minus 1000 for "brand loyalty" since I have a disco.) Great trade in allowance, too (Kelley BB "Excellent"). The RR was out of my league until this deal. Black on black, very cool. I had my heart set on a Cayenne S for pricing reasons, but had to change my mind.
  • kras1kras1 Member Posts: 9
    That's fantastic news! I am in the market for a 2005 RR as well. I went to the dealership this past weekend in FT. Lauderdale and the dealer only offered me $2,000 off MSRP. He said RR demand is high, supply is low and historically RRs have sold for MSRP. I wonder if the discounts are geographically driven. I'm curious as to which city you live in?
    Seattle area. Update: 1000 brand loyalty discount was a mistake :mad: , but they mostly made up for it on an extended warranty discount :) (7yr., 100,000miles.) LR3 getting the extra 1000. 4.5% interest rate. The RR is sitting in my driveway. Black on black, lux package, cherry wood. So sweet. Good luck in FL.
    I test drove an '05 RR before eventually purchasing, and I noticed the vibration on the car I test drove, too. I used to drive a Discovery, and had the same issue midway through its lifespan. I did the tire balancing/alignment stuff, to no avail, then finally talked to the right service guy at the dealership and it was fixed with a 5 minute tightening/adjustment. I mentioned the vibration of the '05 RR test drive, and was informed, as before, that it was a simple adjustment. The RR I purchased does not have this issue I think in part because they did what they had to do before I took delivery. Something is loose in the front end. It's not the wheels IMO. You need a service tech who knows what they're doing.
  • rover4liferover4life Member Posts: 2
    Please, please do tell what that adjustment is or who I can speak with to find out. I currently have an 03 Range and it has 35K with brand new rims and tires. The dealership could not get the vibration out of the previous wheels so they replaced them with new tires as well. Even after all that I still have a strange vibration mostly when I have a bit of tension on the wheel I.E. taking small turns while accelerating on highway on ramps. When I'm going dead straight its not to bad...only when there is a little turn in the wheel and then I also feel it when coming back to center. Hopefully you can help me with this before I go crazy...hell, I think the dealer already thinks I'm crazy.

Thanks
    Alignment and whell balance is easy to check, as I am sure you have done, to no avail. There are three possible culprits, IMO. For my old '97 Disco, my problem was item number 1.

1) Loose tie rods
    2) Steering damper
    3) Ball joints

I'd bet on item 2 in your case. Has someone driven your vehicle with you in it so you can confirm that they are experiencing the issue you are having? I know what you are talking about, because an '05 Range Rover we test drove had the issue... with 10 miles on the car!!! Have them replace the damper. If that doesn't work, use you nuclear option of invoking the Lemon Law :sick: . Good luck.
  • rover4liferover4life Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I am going back tomorrow to meet with the rep...in the past meeting with them has usually worked in my favor. I have done alot of reading about this problem and it all seems to lead back to the steering rack. I will post it here should I find out what the fix is.

Thanks
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    The US Range Rover site has been updated with 2006/Supercharged information: http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/Range_Rover/Overview.htm
  • jchris2000jchris2000 Member Posts: 9
    Am using Lexol conditioner on my (clean) parchment leather seats. Anyone know if this is OK? I e-mailed Lexol; I just hope I don't have any discoloring issues over time/ sun.

Thanks,
    Joie

04 RR
    Adriatic Blue/ Parchment /Cherry
    Luxury Interior
    20's
    Add'l Cherry Wood Package
  • shugurlshugurl Member Posts: 22
    My husband has had many problems with his BMW X5 and needs a new car. I love my 05 RR and suggested he get one too since he is forever driving my car. Can someone tell me the difference between the 4.2L supercharged vs. the 4.4L? Also are they going to add air conditioned seats? Is one the BMW engine and the other the Jag engine? Please tell me the differences or another great SUV he might like instead.
    '03-'05 4.4L BMW, '06-on Jag. The '06 SC RR is some serious cash, but the RR Sport, Supercharged, seems like a bargain by comparison. You have to drive the Porsche Cayenne S or Turbo if he's into street performance. Also, the BMW 4.8is if he's not completely opposed to BMW.
    My husband has had many problems with his BMW X5 and needs a new car. I love my 05 RR and suggested he get one too since he is forever driving my car. Can someone tell me the difference between the 4.2L supercharged vs. the 4.4L? Also are they going to add air conditioned seats? Is one the BMW engine and the other the Jag engine? Please tell me the differences or another great SUV he might like instead.

Well, the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover will have a standard 4.4 liter V-8. The new 4.4 liter V-8 comes from the new Land Rover LR3. That engine comes from a Jaguar 4.2 liter V-8, but the LR3's engine has (obviously) 4.4 liters and is modified for off-road duty (dust, driving across streams, extreme angles).

Jaguar's V-8 first came out for the 1997 Jaguar XK8. It had 4.0 liters. The current 4.2 liter V-8 is a great engine.

The 4.2 liter supercharged V-8 in the new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport (two different models...the Sport uses the LR3's new chassis) comes from the aluminum Jaguar XJR and Super V8 (the flagship XJ). I think the supercharged V-8 in the new Range Rovers likely is modified for off-road duty.

The 2006 Range Rovers have a new 6 speed automatic (from ZF) and a better navigation system when compared to the current 2005 Range Rover.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    No, 2005 Navigation is the same as 2006 Navigation, as is the PTI/Bluetooth. The new touchscreen interface is based on same core design used in the LR3/RRS.

2006 is basically a powetrain change/upgrade, optional Sirius radio support, optional factory DVD Rear Entertainment, and a few cosmetic tweaks...
    some of the enhancements for 2006 include:

Dynamics: Sharper steering, crisper braking performance, and improved air suspension.

Refinement: A quieter interior and additional color combinations.

Technology: Adaptive headlights, tire-pressure monitoring, touch-screen control for audio, phone and off-road driving information.

Safety: A rear-view camera that projects directly to the front-fascia screen.

Better fuel economy (likely the 4.4 liter engine...not the 4.2 liter supercharged V-8)

Entertainment: Available rear seat entertainment package featuring a six-disc DVD changer, twin screens, and headphone pods, all fully integrated with the vehicle’s sound system.

All Range Rovers for 2006 get a new front bumper design, new headlamps and taillights, a new front grille and revised power vents. New 19-inch alloy wheels are also offered. The supercharged derivatives are distinguished by additional styling modifications including mesh-design front grille and power vents, unique 20-inch alloy wheels, and special black-on-silver badges.

source: press release
  • telekuehntelekuehn Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just ordered my new Land Rover Discovery 3 and was checking the net, if it will connect with my blackberry.

After I found this link
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/archive/index.php/t-63829.html

I was very happy. But now I've read your thread and am a bit confused. Looks like sometimes it works, sometimes not. Or have you been successfull yet?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Bluetooth Technology discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • heidi2heidi2 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide what color RR to get. The dealership has one with Buckingham blue exterior, sand/jet trim interior or a Zambezi silver, charcoal/jet trim interior. Which combo do you like better. What is your favorite color combo?
    thanks
    Heidi
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Since you asked, my personal preference would be the silver! :)

tidester, host
    Aw geeze, I have a silver van and it's easy to keep looking clean (you don't have to wash it often since it doesn't show dirt like a darker color would).

But the blue and tan combo sounds pretty nice.

Steve, Host
    I just got the black with charcoal/jet luxury interior package. True to everyone's advice, tough to keep clean. The RR has some weird rear end aerodynamics...the back gets dirty in a heartbear as mist/dust circulates UP the back at all speeds. I think the RR needs a rear spoiler or something to impart some downward air flow. You'll see what I mean. I haven't seen any blue RRs in my area, so I'd go for that. Silver is too common for my taste. Also, negotiate like crazy. Got my '05 for 1% over invoice in view of new '06 refresh arriving soon. If you go for an extended warranty, start the bidding at near 35% off the initial price.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Older Range Rovers seem to have expensive problems with their air suspensions. Apparently, one fix is to get rid of the air bags and install new coil springs/new uprated shocks all the way around and new teflon bushings to tighten up the steering. Then you have a better than stock suspension and are done worrying about the air suspension.

Has anyone done this? I would think that if you found a used RR with conversion already done, you would be better off. Maybe 4K better off.
    The new vehicle spotlight ad on the main edmunds.com page is "The New Range Rover Supercharged." Lots of LR details while the ad lasts.

Steve, Host
  • mikey94025mikey94025 Member Posts: 8
    1% over invoice? What a great deal you negotiated... Congrats and enjoy the car.
  • thgthg Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 1999 RR 4.0SE with 60k miles. It has had the air suspension already replaced with coils and serviced regularly. Needs the 60k service. Question: at very high speed, e.g. 75-80 mph, the RR begins to sound and feel rough/rumbly like the engine is vibrating. Not a ton of vibration thru steering wheel, so I didn't think it was a balance issue.

Any ideas?? Perhaps transmission or engine mounts? And how much do those cost to change?

thg
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    I have read about the upcoming V-12 in the Range Rover. Has anyone gotten wind of possible additions of the Terrain Response and Dynamic Response systems for upcoming Range Rovers?

mgreene
    The Range Rover Supercharged will have a 4.2 liter 390 hp supercharged V-8 for the 2006 model year.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    That's not anything out of the ordinary. My local dealer here in NC advertised $5,000 off all 2005 RR in stock.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Can anyone figure out: Does the Luxury Package on the normally aspirated 2006 RR have perforated leather seats?
    Photos clearly show perforated leather on the SuperCharged.
  • nsashernsasher Member Posts: 3
    The perforated leather is only on 2 of the colors the ivory and the jet. The rest are all the normal luxury leather w/ out the perforated.
  • nsashernsasher Member Posts: 3
    Don't buy a Cayenne S!!! I finally just sold mine, had nothing but problems with it. Yes it drives nicely but between the insane wind noise from moon roof and the heat pump noise and the gazillion recalls I couldn't wait to get rid of. I am waiting for my Superchaged RR to come in can't wait!
    I was debating between the RR and CayS, and settled on the RR. Porsche was really dealing on the ‘05s, but so was Land Rover. Anyway, a friend of my in-laws ended up buying the exact CayS I was looking at. Last week, while it was parked in his garage, the navigation system began smoking. As smoke rolled out of the dash, the guy got it out of his garage before it could burn his house down. The dealer ordered a new navigation system, but the poor guy is driving his 2-week old Porsche around with the dash all torn apart and interior stinking like a smoldering chemical fire. Didn’t even get a loaner! I am secretly amused, but feel bad for the guy. To think how close I was to owning this problem myself.
    Has anyone taken delivery of a 2006 RR - either normally aspirated or supercharged - and can they comment on any dynamic differences: ride, noise, handling etc, when compared to the 2003-2005?
  • docjwsdocjws Member Posts: 3
    Just got a call on my new RR 2006! Hoping to receive soon and will be happy to post my experience. Only disappointment so far is that it arrived without the rear entertainment DVD system; not really a necessity, but a car in this price range doesn't qualify either. I have owned 2 prior RR's, 1993 and 2003.
  • flmflm Member Posts: 2
    Hi,I am considering the RR Sport and was wondering if anyone here knows something about engines that can answer my question.Is there any downsides to choosing the supercharged engine over the normally aspirated V8 besides cost and possible mileage?I worried about engine related services issues in the future.Regards, Frank
  • maddog_52maddog_52 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the supercharged RR ride is less smooth than the non-supercharged version? No dealers in my area have a supercharged available for test drive and claim delivery time takes about 90 days.

I'm told the allegedly 'rougher' ride is caused by the low profile tires and that they cannot be replaced with ones used on the non-supercharged model. Is that true?

If the ride is not as smooth then what could I do to resolve that problem?

Finally, what would be a reasonable discount to negotiate on either model?
  • crimattcrimatt Member Posts: 21
    Well, after 3 years of deliberating, finally pulled the trigger on the RR. What a fine choice it was! Glad I waited for the 2006: Zambezi Silver/Parchment w/ dark walnut wood trim (opted for the additional walnut dash trim for an add'l $850.) Got the Sirius radio option and Heated Accessory Pckge. Dealer threw in free carpeted mats.

What can I say? Great car, smooth riding w/ an eerily quiet interior. Tha Bluetooth feature has not really been a problem. Have a Sprint LG-PM325--no problems at all. Phone syncs up vehicle w/o issue. Cannot access phone book, however, b/c phone not tied to car cradle.

Thought about the RR Sport, but, despite what you've read, it's reeeaaaly tight inside. I'm 6'4" and there's no way that I could comfortably drive the Sport for longer than 15 minutes at a time. Advise: Taller drivers should opt for the larger RR.

All in all, very satified w/ my choice.

crimatt
    The printed RR brochure for 2006 clearly states that the Supercharged is available with ALL paint trim color combinations (with the exclusive addition of the Grand Black wood trim) ...however the dealers "cheat sheet" appears to limit the choice....what is the bottom line?
    I'm really trying to order a (regular or supercharged) Chawton White with Ivory leather and Aspen piping/carpet with Cherry Trim.
    While the brochure clearly indicates this is possible, the dealer believes walnut is the only option for the normally aspirated and the ivory/jet/cherry combo for Supercharged.
    Is the brochure just incorrect?
    BTW.. has anyone else noticed that the leather has been deleted from the overhead grab handles on the 2006 luxury package?
  • chivas43chivas43 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of a 2006 range rover supecharged black/Ivory. I have the dvd in the rear headrests. I would love for it to work in the front screen too. It seems that there is a way to make it work. Does anyone have information on this?
  • meldomeldo Member Posts: 1
    I will be buying a new 2006 HSE in Black this week, could anyone give me an idea of what sort of discount I should try to shoot for?

The 2005 models have been selling real cheap but how has the 2006 model being going?

Thanks
    In Europe there is a TV (broadcast) option which works on the front screen when the car is in park.
    For some reason, feature is deleted in the U.S., however it is likely that a savvy tech. could bypass this circuit to allow access.
    Try a google for any RR owners web site and post the question.
    I've noticed that BMW, VW and Mercedes also disable the TV feature on U.S. export models.