Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    I bought the '05 at 1% over invoice. Ford announced their "Employee Discount" program today to match GM... I wonder if it will apply to all Ford branches. I'd start right at invoice given the economic times surrounding thirsty SUVs.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Full screen DVD playback to the front touchscreen should only be allowed when the RR is not in motion, for both safety and regional legal reasons. (Well, at least I think it allowed it; I didn't focus on the DVD system while test driving.) There is no "hack" for this or the Navigation controls currently, and I wouldn't expect an easy one due to the severe integration.
  • equestrian3equestrian3 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchasing an 06 RR HSE. I will be doing a fair amount of daily driving with this SUV and with gas approaching $3.00 a gallon, mileage is a thought? Can 06 owners share their experiences to date.
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    I've had a 2003 for 2 years now, and have 23,000 miles on it. Around town, it gets between 12 -13 mpg. But at steady speed, it gets more than 20 mpg. That number has been repeated several times on trips we've taken. Very impressive! I think the 2006, even with a different engine and the 6 speed tranny, will get about the same mileage. Also, I didn't get that good mileage until I had put about 10,000 miles on the engine.
  • njwlognjwlog Member Posts: 10
    I am in the same predicament as you, shopping for an '06. I am having a tough enough time getting dealers to budge off of MSRP. I have also put feelers out on pricing on others boards and have got no responses, which suggests to me that people are "embarassed" that they are paying full MSRP.

Any feedback that you can share would be appreciated.
  • docjwsdocjws Member Posts: 3
    As promised....been in my new RR '06 SC, black/black, for couple of weeks now and am very satisfied. Actually got the rear entertainment system and was told the sirius radio was not yet available. A little disappointed with that "little story", but I guess they have to sell when a buyer is ready. Will wait for a kit, that I am sure will eventually come. The car however is all that it was said to be: rich styling and responsive, a pleasure to drive. Hoping it's as reliable as that.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Range Rover Will Get Sirius (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • dgidgi Member Posts: 1
    It's one of the option for $400. I just got my new RR'06 with Sirius radio installed. I loved it.
    However, my brand new SonyEricson 710 with bluetouth is not working with the car.
  • docjwsdocjws Member Posts: 3
    I have a Treo 650 and it's working very well with my RR bluetooth. Ironically, I have had problems with most bluetooth earpieces, confirming the obvious -- lots of quirks with new technology. I understand that some phones will not pair with the the RR bluetooth and unfortunately you may have just that phone. You may want to look at using the integrated phone option; less expensive than buying a new bluetoooth and more reliable. You would also more options available to you.

I guess I'll just have to wait on the Sirius radio "kit" option.
    docjws, no dealer "kit" is planned for Sirius according to Land Rover... it's factory only on RR & RRS. (And for some stupid reason, it isn't even offered on LR3 though it has the same head unit as the RRS!) Send Land Rover feedback if you care. Of course, you can always get a non-Touchscreen integrated non-OEM Sirius kit installed.
  • j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    Hello fellow RR owners.

I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 2002 Range Rover HSE with 40k miles still under manufacturer's warranty. Never having owned a Land Rover before, I was looking to get some pointers from fellow owners as to what to expect and to be on the look out for. Also, is an extended warranty recommended?

I became fond of the Range Rover after attending a Range Rover event last year. It was one classy event. I'm looking forward to the next one.
  • rdskinnerrdskinner Member Posts: 2
    New to the forum trying to research. Anyone know if a Motorola E815 phone will work with the integrated Bluetooth in a 2006 RR Supercharged? Verizon said talk to Motorola and Motorola said to ask Land Rover. Thanks in advance.
  • lr_saleslr_sales Member Posts: 13
    The only aproved Motrola phone is the V600 and this is for bluetooth conection only. You needs software version G0b.08.9FR.
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone have a VentureCam? My '05 RR came with literature detailing it, but it's apparently not available in the USA (?). I want one but can't find a source.
    Correct... North America never had Venturecam and the bits are not fitted. I personally think it's a little silly. Since the wireless camera can't move itself, you might as well have someone spot for you instead of looking at a screen while doing a dangerous manuever. You can try sourcing the parts from the UK, but you'll be on your own trying to get it to work -- it was a ~$700 factory option and not a dealer fitted one.
  • lr_saleslr_sales Member Posts: 13
    Having driven both a SC and a regular HSE Range Rover back to back I would say that the ride is not really rougher in the SC version. I would say it is a little taughter but not negatively so. I think the taughtness is mainly from the larger, heavier wheels and the thinner sidewall tires.
  • LandRoverOwnerLandRoverOwner Member Posts: 24
    Lexol is great. Also try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
    Blackberry isn't going to work w/LR's system.
    'I'm really trying to order a (regular or supercharged) Chawton White with Ivory leather and Aspen piping/carpet with Cherry Trim.'

That combination is NOT available. The closest you could get would be Chawton White with Ivory leather and Jet piping/carpet and Cherry trim. That would only be available on a Supercharged.

Giverny Green and Tonga Green are the only ways to get aspen piping/carpet.

The dealer that told you walnut was the only wood for normally aspirated is nuts.
    Unfortunately, not going to happen in the us... not legally, of course!
    The first full size S/C did not come with Sirius... it wasn't a "story"
  • mikey94025mikey94025 Member Posts: 8
    You say that the ride is not really rougher in the SC version -- great to hear. On the flip side, what advantages to the SC ride/driving did you really perceive? I'd like to know how much more responsive the SC is and what else you're really getting for the large price difference.

Thanks.
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    I would like your feedback on a couple of Range Rover possibilities:

1) Will the Range Rover be equipped with Jaguar's V-12 in 07or 08

2) Will Terrain & Dynamic Response systems make it to the Range Rover or would that cause revolt within the masses of off-road purist whom may believe such systems are sacrelige?
  • dentatedentate Member Posts: 4
    Got my black/black '06 RR SC fully loaded two weeks ago. It spent the first week in the shop; first, a bad battery from the factory; then, some computer quirks they never did figure out--if you start the engine and touch the transmission too quickly you get a "transmission range change not available" or sometimes a "vehicle lifting slowly" message but neither is true. Of course, the messages only appear when the service guys are not looking, and they took my car for an 80 mile joyride trying to figure it out!

My motorola v710 Bluetooth works fine, but the functionality should be better--this is a software issue that will eventually get sorted out. Meanwhile I am considering buying a cheapy phone and a cradle just so I have a way to scroll through the phonebook from the steering wheel control, as well as having a phone that is always charged without plugging in extra wires.

Somehow in playing around, I have got it so that the car's systems speak to me in a British female voice, the navigation instructions are a British male, and it listens to my US English. It's like having maid and a butler. Cool. Drives wonderfully. I had a 2000 RR HSE before and the only complaint I have is that they reduced the travel of the air suspension; highway mode only kicks in at 100 mph, which I doubt I will ever see--there isn't even a display for it anymore. Also they eliminated the little slide holder behind the rear seat where the cargo cover used to stow--now you have to take it out of the vehicle and put it somewhere. Strange. Ergonomically much better overall, though. They should have put in the adaptive cruise control, like in my wife's Toyota van, though; and the sonar proximity warning should display somewhere, so you can see which corner is beeping..

Mine came with the Sirius radio in and working fine, though unless you subscribe all you get is advertisements, of course. The rear seat entertainment system works great too.

What can I say? I have lived in Southern California for 20 years and this is the first time I have looked forward to spending more time in the car....
  • nsashernsasher Member Posts: 3
    I have a RR SC and had to switch from Verizon to Cingular to be able to access the full compatibilty w/the integrated phone system. You also need the phone cradle if you want to access your address book from the screen display.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Oh, that sucks......that may kill the whole deal for me, if I have to go back to Cingular.
    Anyone have a 2002 or earlier Rover where the exterior door handles changed colors? They were originally black and are now a (light) gray. My service rep said this is a normal wear issue and therefore can't be claimed under the manufacturers warranty.
    Members on a different forum suggested that I try Mothers Back-To-Black. Apparently they've had great success with it. So I'll give it a try.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    That is a pretty common problem with all of the black plastic trim used during those years. The sun fades it out and wax gets on the plastic and discolors it. Happens with Discovery Fender flares too. Back to black or Meguairs NXT protectant is good stuff.
  • deranged1deranged1 Member Posts: 2
    I talked to my sales guy today, he says there is a wire or fuse that can be removed to make it work. He was not sure of which one it was. Of course it's not leagl, but who really cares at this point.
  • deranged1deranged1 Member Posts: 2
    Someone please find out ASAP, I want to be able to make that work, at least if I am parked.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently purchased a larger SUV, perhaps even trading in another large SUV for the newer one. If you have a story to share, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and the make/model you traded/bought no later than Thurs. a.m., Sept. 1.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"he says there is a wire or fuse that can be removed to make it work"
    I swear, is everyone related to Land Rover forced to take a course in misinformation and confusion?
    Praise the Lord and Pass the Iguana (Inside Line)

Talk about it over in Range Rover Sport (2006+).

Steve, Host
  • mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    Are you in Michigan Teamonex? If not, can I get a dealership name, City & State? I'm trying to get the name of the fix. Thank You for any assistance you might be able to provide.
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    Hello

I am a potential 1st time LR owner. I have a chance to get a used 2002 Range Rover with around 27K miles on it. Black on Black. I don't put a ton of miles on a car each year, so I am looking to have a fun vehicle for my short commute.

Who manufactured the 2002 RR engine? Is it something that will be impossible to repair when problems occur?

I am also considering a 2004 Discovery SEII or possibly a 2005 LR3.

Does anyone urge me NOT to go for the 2002 RR? Any thoughts would help.

Thank you.
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    Hello

I saw your post. Did you get any replies?

How are you enjoying your 2002 RR HSE? I am also considering a 2002 RR as my first RR purchase. I am trying to decide if it's the wisest move.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.
    If you plan to keep the vehicle once the warranty has expired make sure you buy an extended warranty. Either buy the warranty now or do it within one month/1000 miles of the factory warranty's experiation date. You do not want to have to deal with an air suspension failure without the warranty.
    bmk007: Sorry for the tardiness in responding to you. I'm very happy with my RR purchase. I highly recommend it. I do prefer the interior in this model over the '03 and later. Loving the looks I get from others. I purchased mine on eBay and saved a lot compared to what the dealer's were offering. I had my local dealer inspect the vehicle upon delivery and luckily for me no problems were detected. I did put out some money to have the dealer inspection, the 30k service, 2 new tires and some other misellaneous things. It was all worth it. I could've spent about the same amout of money and gotten a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was a vehicle I was considering. Now I'm soooooo glad I didn't. I presently have 2 month remaining on the manufacturer's warranty and plan to purchase the 6 year/100k mile extended warranty from a third party. I want the extra protection being that I do plan on keeping it a long time.
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    It's an 2003 with 33k miles.

They will let me have it for 46k. No paint work and drives ok.

This is in Florida BTW.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

Also, what does the 30k service entitle and how much $$ does it cost?

James
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what service the manufacturer advises at 30k and it'll give you an estimate of how much it should cost in your zip code.

You can also do an Appraisal of that '03 from the Used Car tab on the main Edmunds.com page.

Steve, Host
    I don't think people are getting them for what Edmunds thinks they should be.

That is why I asked everybody else what they bought their 03's for.

Thanks!
    Some recent buyers should be along this weekend.

Meanwhile, you may want to ask the pros what they think it's worth over in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion.

Steve, Host
    We had an 2003 with about 20K that we let go for $52k so that sounds like an ok price to me depending options and colors.

What are the options on it and what are the colors.

The 30k service is covered under your schedualed matience program don't worry about it. Are you buying it from a land rover dealer or some where else?
    Is 33k miles a lot for a Range Rover?

I know my C6 Corvette feels and sounds (with all the rattles and creaking) old at only 10k miles.
    Galves opens at 27,500 miles for a 2003 so the one you are looking at has miles that are a little higher then average but not much.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    "You do not want to have to deal with an air suspension failure without the warranty"

What about building into one's offer a 4K deduction for the highly probable air suspension work? Then, throw out the entire system and replace with coils all around, four new , premium shocks, re-bush the front suspension and be set for life?
    I haven't seen a complete air suspension failure on the current generation Range Rover so how probable it is I don't know. I know that there is a coil spring conversion kit around for the previous generatons of range rover but I don't think anything is out yet for the 2003 and up generation. Who would want to own a Range Rover with out air suspension that is probably the coolest thing about the vehicle. Thinking about it more since the new range rovers use a fully independent suspension with cross linked air valves I don't think you could go to a coil spring conversion on them.

I really doubt there is anyway they would accept a 4000 dollar deduction for that. You would just be better off buying the extended warranty to 100K if you plan to keep the vehicle that long.