Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I missed have missed something. I thought we were discussing a 2002 RR? That year and generation certainly have replacement suspension kits and are definetly the way to go.

FWIW, I'm not sure if I would agree with anyone who says that "...air suspension is probably the coolest thing about (their) vehicle". Please. Brock Yates and Jeremy Clarkson might disagree.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    You are right I was emailing with someone else about a 2003 Range Rover and just got confused. There is a coil conversion kit for the previous body style range rovers.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of the "sucess stories in the auto industry, turning from losses to “significant profits.”

"That is to say Land Rovers can be taken from the opera to the Rubicon Trail and can serenely navigate most any road condition in total luxury. Only Hummer comes close to the brand image of Land Rover. But, while Hummer is a more American and macho brand, Land Rover has a global, sophisticated appeal."

Diesel SUVs Are Unit's Future (The Day)

Steve, Host
  • schebscheb Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know the ins and out between the 05 and 06 sound system changes, and whether or not the 06 sirius can be retrofitted to the 05 model year. The dealership was no help.

Thanks

Mark
    Go to http://www.blitzsafe.com/ they specialize in factory looking instaliations of satelite radio using the factory head unit. They do not curretnly have any instaliation kits for the 2003 and up range rovers but I am sure they will before too long. I have talked to them about working on a kit for the 2006 range rover for a customer that does not have Sat radio in his car but wants it.

They need a picture of the back of your head unit, which in the case of the range rover is the touch screen display, from that they may be able to devlop something.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Does anyone have direct hands-on experience of having traded a 2003/4/5 RR for a 2006 RR?
    Specifically...how does ride, handling and engine noise compare?
  • supercharged06supercharged06 Member Posts: 1
    I traded in a 2004 HSE with 16000miles (dealer gave me $56000) for a 2006 Supercharged. The car is completely different in terms of ride and power. Night and day. Black and white. You get the idea. The acceleration change is dramatic (of course it is not the base HSE so it should be) but also the ride is much smoother, the inside is much quieter, and the handling much more tight and responsive. Little things like the satellite radio and the navigation system are nice. The DVD keeps the kids quiet in the back. I would purchase it again in a minute. The only change I suggest is the storage cover in the back is still hard to use and needs to be fixed to a simple retractable cover.
  • mhannaouimhannaoui Member Posts: 1
    I have a Range Rover 2000 HSE and couple days ago it wouldn't start because of an immobilization issue. The dealer had to reprogram the immobilization device because somehow it lost its data. It costs me $217, but I feel that it should've been a free repair because I believe it is a design flaw. It wasn't clearly explained to me how this could happen, but supposedly the car was close to something which caused the data to be erased.

I am curious to know if this ever happened to anyone reading this forum and whether you had to pay to fix it.

Thanks,
    -mo
  • minkemaminkema Member Posts: 1
    For anyone interested - I am pricing a new 2006 RR in NJ, including Luxury Interior and Rear Seat Ent Sys. MSRP was $82,200 +/-. Dealer quoted me $2,000 under MSRP.
    You must be dealing with Paramus, or a dealership right next to them, cause no one else would discout an 06 Loaded Range that much.
    I received a slick Land Rover mailing today.
    It included a $2000 discount coupon for any 2006 Range Rover HSE.
    The RR SuperCharged was excluded.
  • bubukittybubukitty Member Posts: 96
    My 2004 Range Rover HSE has the standard equipment 19" wheels with Goodyear Wrangler tires. The Rover has about 25,000 miles on it and I love it, however, about 12,000 miles ago the tires started making a lot of noise. The dealer said the tires were cupped and it was an alignment problem. Sounded fishy as the car is aligned well and I never abuse it..the steering wheel is on center, no wobble or vibration, and the tires are not wearing unevenly. I called my old dealer (I moved to a new area) and spoke to my favorite service tech and he I mentioned the tire noise and he said "you must be talking about the Goodyear tires" and "the tire noise is a common complaint".

I was hoping that others on this board may share their experience with the standard Goodyear tires on the Range Rover and if they are having tire noise issues. Thank you.
  • mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    Thank You so much Teamyonex, and.........my sister thanks you too!! We both will be following up on this.
    Does this sound right?: My dealer tells me he is unable to even order a 2006 RR SuperCharged until January...with delivery to follow some months later.
    In other words, they cannot place orders on a "flow" basis.
    My problem is that the 2006 RR I ordered in July, arrived this week with a broken windshield, and associated scratches on the trim and nearby paintwork.
    The tell me they can repair it, but @ $90k, I am reluctant to take delivery of a repainted car, and with a windshield seal I cannot be sure of.
    I would have thought that given it was a LR problem, they might have gone out of their way to modify a production schedule to slip a replacement into line before January or February.
    Any ideas?
    I have had this happen to three customers now with bluetooh integrated cell phones. They have phones that do not have an option to disable call waiting and so when a call comes through and they try to switch over to it their phone to car link is scrambled.

If you can't disable call waiting on your bluetooh phone then just do not pick up the incoming call it will scramble your phone and possibly do other funny things to the cars systems.

If you do happen to pick up a call by accident and things get scrambled you can probably correct the problem without bringing it to the dealer. Simply shut off the car and then disconnect the bluetooth phone from the car. On your phone somewhere there is an option to drop bluetooh connection. Once you do that it should descramble the connection and you should be able to reconnect the phone. This should also shutdown the navigation screen if it was staying on with the car off. I have seen that happen a couple of times and seems to be a side effect of trying to use call waiting with bluetooh connection.

I am reposting this on all Land Rover boards.
  • canadian2canadian2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm new to this forum, has anyone ordered or been able to get a "first edition RR sport". I ordered mine in July and had been told that it would arrive September. Im still waiting>>>what is the average time for delivery< I'm unable to get a straight answer from the dealer???
  • canadian2canadian2 Member Posts: 2
    will the latest blackbeey 7000 series or 8000 series work with the vehicle telephone kit?
  • yogiblairyogiblair Member Posts: 1
    Bought an 03 used RR - Big Mistake!! It spend more time at the dealership than in my garage. Bought an 05 new with 10 miles and it has been back to the dealership 7 times, 4 for CD issues - locks up, goes offline, will not reset. Finally RR acknowledged there is contaminated code.
    1 time for the rear hatch, 1 time for the wipers - they quit working in the middle of a rainstorm, 1 time because the LR oval and lights would stay on after the car was turn off. Love the Car, Hate all of the issues. Considering another model.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    To those of you who bought an '06 RR HSE: I'd like to know what you found to be superior about the RR as compared to an LX470, assuming you cross shopped them.
  • haker1ushaker1us Member Posts: 1
    range rover or any other pure bred automobile but not lexus
    their is no romper lexus is a thin can
    look at rangerover.net
    Can anyone provide the Land Rover link to the list of supported cradle phones for RR and RRS ?
  • gonzoegonzoe Member Posts: 5
    Any special considerations I should consider before pulling the trigger? Are there any known problems I need to know about? Is an '04 better than an '03? I'm no stranger to the CPO market so I'm not afraid to pay a premium for a used car but I'm new to the RR market. Any thoughts are appreciated...
    I am finding that my '06 Range Rover navigation is a full 2 blocks off when I enter my home address. I have not yet tried entering any other addresses.
    Additionally, when sitting out front of my house and when requesting the nav to save the location, it shows an address which is still way off. This is a very old neighborhood so it is not an issue of new streets not yet updated.
    Is there any way to manually change an address on the nav system so as to correct its memory?
    Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
    This is my 4th vehicle with nav. (and 3rd Range Rover) and the 1st time I have ever had this kind of error.
    For what it is worth: I ran my address in GOOGLE Earth, and it was correct.. so are the Land Rover discs to blame? The map on the screen is showing streets correctly.
    It might be out of calibration. Go to the navigation screen and hit the bottom left touch screen button. Then hit navigation settings and then hit calibration. You can adjust heading and make a distance calibration adjustment. If that does not work then do you live in a very mountanous area or are there very tall buildings near by? If so then the NAV system might be a little off because it is not getting a clear signal. Try and putting in a few different addresses.
  • jimmyj1jimmyj1 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy my first RR having been a die hard BM fan for years. A 2005 RR HSE without options is being offered at $57K. It's done a lot of highway miles 31k but is immaculate.Seems reasonable to me. Any views?
  • mickeylangsmickeylangs Member Posts: 1
    Have had 2 RR. same problem with both. Goodyears make too much noise. I replaced with the corresponding Pirellis. They do not wear as well but are very quiet and a huge difference on the highway.
  • bubukittybubukitty Member Posts: 96
    Thanks for the reply. It ends up that a few days ago I installed the Michelin 19" tires that fit the standard wheel and what a huge difference!!!! It is like a new vehicle and rides much more smoothly than the Goodyears (even when the car was new) and has made all the difference in the world. Thanks for the suggestion on the Pirellis which I considered, but our Land Rover tech at our old dealership recommended the Michelins....in fact, we had the tires installed there and they also aligned it too. Thanks!
    On my 2006 RR SuperCharged, I am getting the occasional "thump" from the transmission when upchanging.
    It is quite a distinct thump, as if the gears are lagging before engaging. I recall reading some magazine tests when there were references to a rough gear change at certain times, and I am not sure if this is what was being described.
    Those tests mentioned "pre-production" prototypes, inferring that the electronic mapping would change in production.
    Any insights as to this problem?
    Is the transmission performance and change pattern a software correctable item?
    The transmission does have a adaptive software so it will adjust to how you drive. How many miles have you put on the truck so far?
    Less than 200 miles.
    I did come across a Tech Bulletin on the Land Rover GTR site # LM-307-001 which talks about this problem, however it refers to Naturally Aspirated Vehicles only (mine is SuperCharged) and then the VIN numbers are only up thru 6A203248. Mine is later.
    It also talks about the possibility of the presence of "transit relay" causing the problem. Is this something that should be removed pre-delivery?
    The TB refers to a "tip-in-thump" (harsh shifts, 2-1 down or 1-2 up) which is how I perceive mine.
    The remedy is 5 acceleration runs to 50MPH followed by 6 runs to 15MPH. If this fails, then a fluid change.
    Can this be so, when my VIN # is out of range, and isn't this something that the dealer should have checked pre-delivery?
    I am now wondering if this was the problem with the magazine test vehicles earlier this year.
    Still think its a great car!
    Print out the TSB and give your service advisor a call. The SC ranges use different software so they should not be the same but it might be a related problem.
    FYI: I found this comment by John DiPeitro in Edmunds test of the 2005 Range Rover SuperCharged:

&#147;Strangely, and out of character with the Range Rover's polished demeanor, the tranny shifted with a slight jolt on more than a few occasions, one time under part throttle while accelerating and another when the gas was quickly jabbed and then released.&#148;

It appears strange that Land Rover did not follow-up on this, and mention made in the test.
    They all do that, Land Rovers I mean from the LR3 up, to some extent I think because there is a lot of rotational mass in the permanent 4WD system and when you pulsate the throttle like that you get drive line shock. I have noticed it more in some vehicles then in others and the fix is usually to clear the memory of the addaptive transmission and then drive the car very hard.
  • chaunceyboybluchaunceyboyblu Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I have a 1999 Range Rover that had an engine replaced under warranty almost 3 years ago. The new engine has about 20k miles on it now and about 3-4 weeks ago we started to notice a ticking/tapping noise at idle. It drives just fine and you can only hear the noise when you are not in the car or the window is down at a drive-thru etc. Any ideas as to what this could be? Our mechanic friend in Virginia says that the valves are hydraulic, so there is no adjusting them. That it could possibly be a bad lifter? It does not do it when you first crank it up - when the engine is cold, but always does it at idle when it is warm. It seems to cycle a bit - louder amd softer and then not at all. Any ideas or insigt would be greatly appreciated! It seems that every time we take it to the dealer they just screw it up and there is no where close by to take it. Also, anybody had problems with filling these up with gas? It really is a drag when it is -10 degrees outside and you have to keep wrestling with the gas pump because it keeps clicking off. This is our 6th Land Rover and we love them, but have had the fuel problem on 2 of them now. Any suggestions or advice to either problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!!
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    Check the Lexus web site and compare the LX with a RR. I came up with 31 advantages for Lexus and 39 for RR. Lexus only shows their advantages, which I consider DECEPTIVE and not that honest.

Here are a few things I considered most important to ME. Please remember that others may feel differently. Look at things like: colors, 275 vs 305 hp, 5 vs 6 speed trans, independent suspension 2 vs 4 wheel, front and rear suspension, 18 vs 19" tires, single vs dual zone A/C control, front and rear brake size, Xenon headlights with washers, parking assist sensors, and finally interior storage.

RANGE ROVER WINS HANDS DOWN!!!!
  • schillerschiller Member Posts: 1
    I am considering leasing '06 RR Super Charged, I find that in the New York area you can get any color you want by just making a few calls.

You seem to be an expert on RR, overall, is it a good buy? I am specifically interested in cons/disappointment.

Thanks,
  • brandondentebrandondente Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a 06 RR for two months and on 2 occasions have had the car over head and dried out the coolant. This last time I was in the snow and I had now power or traction to get through it and it overheated. 4 hours later the engine temp was down but I couldn't get the car over 50 mph on the freeway and the rpm didn't go over 3. This was before I refilled the coolant. On my way home at a light the car said Check Oil STOP engine and the car turned off and wouldnt start again. I check the engine oil and there was plenty of oil but the coolant was almost gone again. Has anybody had any simlar problems?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Brandondente,

You have had the RR overheat twice in the last two months and haven't taken it to the dealer to have it checked? :confuse: Why?

Sounds like you might have a leak in the reservoir box because antifreeze normally doesn't evaporate from an overheated heated engine unless there is a leak.

Get that truck to the shop before you damage something!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • brandondentebrandondente Member Posts: 2
    I took it in the first time and the said something was wrong with the fan and said they fixed it. Right now its in the shop and they are trying to find the leak. I will keep you posted
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    I finally bought an 06 RR (silver w/Parchment interior) and consider it to be my Dream SUV. I'll probably never take it off-road but I bought it (rather than the LX470) because of the design, weight, amenities, quietness, and comfort.

There are several settings I'm going to have activated - drive away door locks, and headlight delay all the time if available. Does anybody know if: Unlock all doors when going from Drive to Park and Beep horn when locking with the remote can also be set? One more question, does anybody know what the Red clip on the glove box door is for? I've tried to clip a tire pressure gauge or pen and neither will stay put. Is there something special that goes there?

Thanks - Paul
    There is a whole list of Range Rover personlization options that you can activate, deactivate or just change in some way. It covers a whole page and I am not going to type them all out. Ask your sales guide for the Range Rover Personalization Options sheet. It is just a check list form that you can read and check off what you do or do not want most of it is self explanitory.

The red clip there is the special tool to pull fuses out of the fuse box. One of the fuse boxes is behind a cover in the glove box.
    I just bought a 2006 LR3 HSE and I can choose several things myself which include:
    -lazy entry with the drivers seat...will move back when exiting.
    -speedometer warning signal...can set at any speed.
    -auto locks at low speed.... I can turn on/off.
    -auto dipping mirrors when in reverse... I can turn on/off.
    -timed headlight delay.... I can choose the length of time.

I'm sure the RR has more choices as it's a more expensive vehicle but I can carry SEVEN passengers!!! :P

Happy Land Roving... Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Hello fellow RR owners,
    Can anyone enlighten me on the finer points of the dreaded TRACTION FAILURE warning light? I suppose it is another very expensive repair bill at the very least. Please let me know if this fault is common on the 2000 RR 4.6 HSE with 50k miles? I have had several recent visits to the dealer regarding a sudden rash of fault lights and leaks to the tune of $3500. It has not been a kind season with our Rangie.
    Any info would be great.
  • khlkhl Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know what the red light on the center dashboard at base of front windshield is for? I'm thinking it's for the anti-theft system, but when I lock the doors with remote, the only flashing red appears on the instrument panel, so I'm wondering if the red light on the dashboard isn't functioning?
    That is one of the sensors for the Auto climate control. Tells the computer how much sunlight is coming into the vehicle.
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    It's probably just a dirty ABS sensor on one or more wheels. I had a 1997 & 1999 before my 2003 and I think that happened on both the '97 & the '99. If that's it, it's inexpensive to fix.
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    I got around to measuring the MPG on my 2003 RR during a 1400 mile trip a couple of weeks ago. I was careful to consider that a small difference in how full I got the fuel tank can make a significant difference in the measured results. The actual MPG is consistently about 8-10% less than what's displayed on the trip computer. Still an actual MPG of 17.5 on an interstate trip at mostly 75-80 MPH is excellent! It has 24,000 miles on it.

Has anyone else checked this out?
    Outrigger, I checked my computer readout on my new 2006 LR3 HSE and it was exactly what I calculated with pencil and paper (12.5 mpg) 70% city and 30% hwy. I only have 840 miles on it after five weeks. Getting ready to take a 1,800 mile trip and I'll keep up with my mileage compared to the computer.

My 2002 Mercedes ML500 had a very optimistic computer that was off about 2-3 mpg from actual results (reality was lower).

I hope the LR3 stays accurate, time will tell.

Mark :D
  • susiegiosusiegio Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 RR and the air suspension went out at 44,000 miles. It took over a week to get a part from abroad and to repair my car. I love the way my car drives, but you know what they say about Jaguars holds true for a Range Rover too. "Your second car had better be a tow truck!"
  • khlkhl Member Posts: 9
    Have an '06 RR HSE. Tried pairing my SonyEricsson S710a (Cingular) via bluetooth. Registers fine, and screen shows that the phone is connected. However, when an incoming calls comes in, it rings on the handset and I have to answer via the handset, then about 15-30 seconds into the call, it transfers onto the handsfree system and mutes radio...same thing when I dial using the touchscreen--after hitting the send button on touchscreen, you can only hear the ringing and communicate via handset only until about 15-30 sec later, when it automatically transfers into the car's handsfree unit. Also disappointing that 'address book' doesn't download without cradle connection.