Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• luapluap Member Posts: 21
    I also have an '06 RR HSE and recently upgraded my Cingular phones to the Motorola V3 RAZR - no delay problems. I'm not familiar with the Sony but suggest that you go to the Cingular store or someone you know and have them pair a V3 to the RR and try it out. At least this should help isolate where the problem might be. You also might want to check the RR web site http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/home.htm and navigate to RR Interior Features where you'll find good info and FAQ on Bluetooth. BTW, I have used the Voice System to store various names and associated phone numbers - works without any problems.
  • bgladebglade Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 RR blew fuse #17 (10 amp), and I can't get the car out of park. I have replaced it two more times but it blows each time. How can I get the car to the repair shop?

All clues/advice welcomed! Thx.
  • 06hse06hse Member Posts: 4
    On the ride home after picking up my new 06' Range, I noticed the vehicle was overheating, I immediately called the dealer and demanded a new car and they told me it was just a loose radiator cap. I took it to another dealer for a second opinion and that dealer suggest I return the truck for a new one, so that’s what I did. I think it’s a known issue because a friend of mine had the same problem.
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    Could you guys tell me your feedback on 20". How does it perform off road and the snow? How is it on road. Also which tire do you have on your 20". Thanks
  • henry9henry9 Member Posts: 1
    Although mechanically adept, I have no experience with Range Rovers... I am considering buying an '89 with 108k on the odometer. It looks to be in reasonable condition for its mileage, however, I am wondering what particular areas I should check , based on your experiences? For one thing, the owner mentioned that the warning for the fuel injectors has come on a few times-- what does this usually lead to on this vehicle (ie: cleaning, or expensive parts replacements?) :confuse: ;)
  • hallinihallini Member Posts: 13
    Are you happy with your purchase? I am deciding between an 06 RR HSE & 06 LX 470. I prefer the RR but have big concerns about service/ quality / reliability. It will be my only vehicle and I live 100 miles from the nearest RR dealership.
  • jim5309jim5309 Member Posts: 1
    I recently just purchased an 06, how do make the audio from DVD's play throughout the whole car and not just through the wireless head phones? Also, was I supposed to get a remote with the car for the DVD's? last question...every time i turn the car on, it asks me 'to accept' the navigation agreement risk thing....is there a way to keep this turned off? thanks.
  • dizzle65dizzle65 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 2003 Range Rover. I would like to know what to look for in terms of common problems, defects, etc. when I take one out for a test drive. It will be my primary and only vehicle. I have been looking around, and I have found out that the mid 40s ($45,000) is the going rate for a vehicle with not too many miles.

I would particularly like to know about any transmission problems, which I have heard something about, steering wheel problems, navigation malfunctioning, etc. My father owns a 1994 Defender 90, which is truly an amazing off-road vehicle, and at the same time it is very fragile; being prone to numerous repairs and high maintenance.

Is the "new" 2003 Range Rover much better than past rovers in terms of reliability? As it will be my primary vehicle I cannot afford to have it in the shop all the time. I am not concerned with gas mileage, and I will be planning on using it off road with my father, as we are members in an off-roading Land Rover club in Michigan. I am in my mid 20s, unmarried and I am not buying this vehicle for its snob appeal or for toting kids around. I simply want the most luxurious, most reliable, and capable off road vehicle (I was also considering a G500).

Thanks a bunch in advance,

dizzle65
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    I have a problem with the transmission on my 2006 RR SC.
    There are rough, jolting and audible gear changes in the lower gears at low speeds around town.
    The dealer re programed the transmission but the problem has not gone away.
    There was a service bulletin about "poor shift quality" (# LM307-001) but this did not apply to my VIN.
    Anyone else seen (or felt) this problem?
    BTW..otherwise the car is great. The engine and ride is smoother and quieter overall than my 2004 RR.
  • mikolarmikolar Member Posts: 3
    I may not be much help....my '06HSE has 1500 miles and I've not noticed any issues with transmission shift noise or vibrations.
    I would be curious if you notice the same issue in the manual mode -- that may or may not help isolate where the problem lies.

Hoepfully, you'll get an answer soon. I too, love the truck.
  • roverrad95roverrad95 Member Posts: 2
    For the guy looking for the 2003! 1st try to buy certified, that way you know what you are getting. 2nd BUY AN EXTENDED WARRENTY. Most important thing you will ever do. 3rd Check the Air Suspension, leaks, funtioning etc. 4th transmission, rare, but can be a problem. 5th Ask if the recall on the cowling has been done. 6th Make sure it is not abused.
    Then you are done. (Bought a 2004 New Range Rover and a Used 2005 Range Rover great cars, also have a 2002 Range Rover- Roverrad is the profile :P )
  • dizzle65dizzle65 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks a bunch. I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration when looking at different 2003 RRs. Only thing I see problematic is that on a 2003 Range Rover any of them with 50K miles or better will not have a Basic Mfr Warranty. Obviously, I will try to find one with the fewest possible miles within an acceptable price range, but perhaps the dealership extends the warranty on a Certified Vehicle???

I dunno, maybe you could help me on that because I have not heard too many good things about extended warranties vis-a- vis a 3rd Party warranty companies.

thanks, and if anyone else has any insight on buying a 2003 Range Rover or would like to share their experiences I would be greatly appreciative.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Only buy one at a Land Rover dealer period. As long as the Range has less then 50k miles then it should be certfied. Also ask to see the certification report. The report is a 3-4 page check list that is filled out by the tech that did the inspection. CPO Rovers have a 2 year 25k warranty extended warranty that is identical to the factory warranty in all but two items. The extended warranty does not extend the free scheduled maintaince of the original warranty and does carry a 100 deductible per visit.

Any other questions just shoot me an email my address is in my profile. I can probably scan a copy of a blank CPO check list if you want and email it to you.
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    That doesn't sound like a problem with the RR; you're just picking up the call before the bluetooth link syncs up with the truck's audio system. The same thing happens with my Jabra bluetooth earphone. Try waiting for the second or third ring to see if the call rings through to the RR audo system.
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    If that fuse controls the fuel pump you may have the same problem with a RR of that vintage I once owned. Without warning it would blow the fuse for that fuel pump and wouldn't start (obviously!). We ultimately determined that some metal shavings were left in the fuel tank when the factory drilled it to insert the pump assembly. Those shavings would occasionally get swept into the impeller, stall the pump, and then the fuse blew to protect the circuit.

Once that was sorted out, and the fuel pump replaced, no more problems.
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    So far I am very happy with the '06 RR HSE. I only had one issue and that was the "Check Engine Light" came on at 1650 miles. As I was taking it to the dealer the next day, it went out and has not come back on for over a week. Look at message #772 and go thru the check list, you'll find a lot of pluses for the RR.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Good Luck - hallini
    Paul
  • khlkhl Member Posts: 9
    I had the same problem with my 06 RR HSE at less than 1000 miles...originally was diagnosed as problem with oxygen sensors, but now LR tells me that it's a software glitch and that they're waiting for new software from corporate. My dealer tells me that everything's okay until they get the new software for download (I'm still waiting for this)...in the meantime, the 'Check Engine Light' comes on and goes off on its own...it hasn't been on for the last week.
  • khlkhl Member Posts: 9
    Just select DVD from your front screen instead of radio/sat or CD, etc. and it'll play throughout car speakers...you may have to turn the volume knob way up. For some reason, that's the case with my 06 RR HSE...I just have to remember to turn the volume knob down before switching back to radio, otherwise the radio comes on at a blasting volume. If someone has a remedy for this, let me know. Yes, you were supposed to get a remote with the car for the DVD's...its especially needed since you can't view what's going on from the front nav screen. I wish they would allow the front screen to play while in park (like Lexus). Don't know how to bypass the 'accept' screen...sorry.
  • 06hse06hse Member Posts: 4
    Sometimes my satellite radio station display is blank, it happens once I start my car and switch to SAT on my navigation screen. I can fix the problem sometimes by restarting the car. Has anyone heard of this problem?
  • akunceakunce Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1996 Range Rover for 9995.00 with an average of 8800 mile a year. Is there anything i should focus on especially when looking for any potential issues? any feedback would be appreciated.
  • highline1highline1 Member Posts: 1
    The amber engine light came on today & it is not the gas cap. Range Rover hotline says that "if light changes to red stop driving". Has anyone heard of an engine light that changes from amber to red? It does not say anything like that in the owner's manual. If it isn't anything serious will it cycle itself out?
    the check engine light severity index goes like this.

Just amber is probably nothing serious and good very well cycle itself out.

Amber and blinking could be serious and you should call the dealership to get an appointment as soon as you can.

Red means you should stop driving and call road side assistance. If you are very close to home it would probably be ok to limp in there at low speed but keep any eye on all your guages.
  • starrhunterstarrhunter Member Posts: 1
    I have had 3 RR SC since July 2005 and I experienced the amber engine light warning on all of them before 1800 miles. The first two they said they were waiting for software to correct the problem, but the third one eventually went off and then I sold it. I'll get my next RR SC next week, so stay tuned. I love the RR SC, but they have some issues to workout.
    I am just curious how have you gotten three, and now a fourth, Supercharged Range Rovers?

Did you lemon law the first two over check engine lights?
    What part of the country are you in that you have a dealer that can get four SC Range Rovers? I mean I know my dealership is not that large but since July of 2005 we have only been able to get six Supercharged Range Rovers from Land Rover.

Which dealer are you using that has that much allocation?
  • jeffkropjeffkrop Member Posts: 3
    Looking to upgrade my 2003 Rover from it's 19" wheels to the 20" supercharged wheel on the 2006 Rover.
    Has anyone done this? I've heard varying stories...easy as long as you get the 20" specific lug nuts...to...you have to switch out your hubs.
    I've seen 03' to 05' models with them, so I know it can be done...but how easy?
  • carfan88carfan88 Member Posts: 2
    I traded an 04 Lexus Lx470 (which ran flawless) for an
    06 RR HSE about 2 months ago. The RR now has 2200 miles on
    it and has been back to the shop 3 times now. First time
    was the Transmission at 65 mph slipped to 3rd gear and a
    light on the dash stated, "transmission fault, limited gears only", so it was towed to the dealer.

Second and third time was for the same reason, stopped the vehicle and went to put it in park and the engine reved
    high and the check engine light came on, was told by the
    dealer that a software upgrade was on the way and all was ok. mmm, the Lexus ran great and now I am sort of sorry I traded it, but love the looks of the Rover. I hope the next gen LX comes out soon because I may be trading for that.
    Did you get the transmision jumping resolved via the software upgrade?
  • susiegiosusiegio Member Posts: 3
    Are you sure you want to purchase an '03? There were positive changes made on the 04's that I wish I had waited for. Also, it's never good to purchase the first year of a new body/design. In 1 1/2 years, my car was in the shop for 56 days! There were countless problems. Problems have tapered off, but it sure took alot of visits to the dealer to get "the bugs worked out." I'd look at the '04's. Just the change in the stereo would make it worth it.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Can you please list the changes between the '03's and the '04's, aside from the radio? Also, when was your '03 built? (Build tag is on the drivers door/sill).
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Interesting story in the Chicago Tribune today.

Remember I told you about the guy who plowed his RR into the train station, resulting in the death of a ticket agent.

Apparently, the guy went out on the lamb and was finally caught, US Marshall service ran DNA evidence on blood in the vehicle and compared it from items they recovered from his home.

Anyway, the thing that really caught my eye is that the article mentioned how they obtained a search warrant to review the data from the vehicles onboard computer in an effort to obtain the speed the vehicle was traveling at "and other information"

Can they get that info and exactley what else can the onboard computer tell them *big-brother-shivers*
    Yeah most modern cars have black boxes in them now that will tell investigators how fast someone was traveling and if they had their foot on the brakes when they wrecked.

Cars that have GPS navigation have even more info stored in the computer.
  • emmons1emmons1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all-
    I'm a LR enthusiast; my husband and I have owned our 97 Disco for 5 years and have had no complaints. Never have we had a better vehicle (on or off road). Now it's time to acquire another truck, and were interested in the RR.
    Could someone please tell me what towing capacity the RR has? We would probably buy one just 'off lease', so it would be a 03-05 that we would look at.
    Thanks!
    7,700 LBS if the trailer has built in trailer brakes but I would not tow all of that weight around on a regular basis.
  • susiegiosusiegio Member Posts: 3
    The speakers and stereo system were both completely upgraded and changed. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other major changes but I remember hearing that there were other minor items. My '03 was built in May of '03. I have had a hard time accepting that RR couldn't put automatic lights on the car. I know that the newer models have changed to automatic lights.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ergonomics Aren't Us (Karl on Cars)

Feel free to comment over there. Or here. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • tiff3tiff3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 06 my 7th rrover got the same software excuse the car stalls at 3 days old in two times with check engine light and i finally returned the car in a fight What is going on with your car????
    Did you have a transmission "jumping" problem? i.e. a jolt when shifting from 3 to 4 for example?
    Did the software update improve or eliminate the problem?
    Did they replace the car...no questions?

On my '06 SuperCharged, they eventually replaced a control module on the transmission itself (valve body) which they claim fixed it.
  • absintheabsinthe Member Posts: 2
    Greetings... I am considering buying a pre-owned 2005 Range Rover from a friend. It has only 7500 miles and I know it's been well taken care of... I've never owned any Land Rover before, and this seems like it could be the right car for me — I have twin 3 year old boys and I definitely need to move on from my 1996 Volvo 850R, much as I'll miss it.

I'd be interested in any comments or things I should be particularly wary of regarding this vehicle. I'm also interested to know about the quality of the extended warranty. Volvo's extended warranty was a great deal for me...

Thanks!
  • psa1psa1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 Supercharged Range Rover that is doing the same "jumping". The first time it did it I thought I had been hit from behind. Then the Transmission Fault Limited Gears came up on my dash. I had it flatbeded to the nearest dealership and it took them about 4 days to get it back to me and now it is doing the same thing again. It does only seem to happen in low gears but I should be able to drive at 30 mph without jerking all over. I would really like to get it fixed once and for all.

I would like to know how many people have this problem and if it is only with the Supercharged.
    What is your VIN #?
    Mine ended in 214333.
    In my case, after several tries to re program the transmission they ended up replacing a "Control Valve Body"... I can get you the part # if you wish.
    I think it was some type of solenoid which controlled the changing of the gears.
    Land Rover was involved in the repair of mine, so I am sure your dealer can track this problem.
    My car was out of action for over 30 days, so I really had a possible "lemon" claim. It seems to be OK now, but I am very sensitive to any slight "roughness" in the gear change, in which case if it comes back, I will ask for a replacement.
    There was a range of VIN #'s ..earlier than mine, where there was some "moisture" issue in the transmission fluid. The TSB called for changing the fluid and re programing. You might want to check to see if yours is in that VIN range first.
    This is my 3rd Range Rover from the new series, and the 1st one I have ever had any problems with. I still believe very much in the vehicle...it's unfortunate that it's the $90k one which seems to have the first problem.
    Link to information 2007 Range Rover:
    New Diesel V8, new interior, instrumentation, new trim and dashboard, cooled seats, electronic parking brake, Terrain Response, revised stereo.

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/Land_Rover/article-52932.html

• tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Interesting..But that diesel is not for the US market.
    There will be a diesel Range Rover before the end of the decade though either that diesel or some other design.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Land Rover North America has resurrected the exclusive Westminster badge on a limited run of 2006 Range Rovers.

$100K Range Rover Westminster Rises to the Top (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • jslr27jslr27 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to get some information on the Range Rover HSE and Supercharged. Whenever I go to Land Rover USA and build a Supercharged, I don't get the option of having the Luxury Package. But when I build an HSE, the option is available. However, I've seen an RR Supercharged with the Luxury Package Headrests (non-Westminister). I really want to get a car with all the bells and whistles since I plan to keep it for a long time and the Luxury Pkg. really makes the interior look great. Does anyone know why the Luxury Package($5000 option) is not available on Land Rover's top model? I don't want to get the Westminister, since I really want the Giverny Green color with Ivory Interior and American Cherry Wood.

Also, is the Supercharged worth the extra money compared tot the HSE? The price difference between the two is very little.

Thanks in advance.
    Supercharged Range Rovers have luxury interior. The only options on the Supercharged Range Rover are Rear Seat Entertainment and satellite radio.

If you can find a supercharged ragne Rover go for it but it may be hard. I think we only have one 2006 Supercharged Range Rover that is not presold and they are all months away. We don't even know when we will be able to order 2007 models and what the prices will be.
    Typically, when do they allow you to order the next years model (i.e. 2007) and when do the first models arrive in the US?
    I thought June/July was the normal arrival time.
    Well typically for Rovers the first new Model Year cars come in around September/October.

If they are doing a big redesign or introducing a new model then that can change. For example when the New Range Rover was introduced as a 2003 MY it was introduced in the middle of CY 2002.

The 2006 MY Range Rover Sport was introduced in July of 2005.
  • jslr27jslr27 Member Posts: 5
    Is the luxury interior in the Supercharged different than in the HSE then? Because if you look at a non-lux HSE, the headrest is different than in the HSE with lux. In the SC, the headrest looks exactly the same as in the HSE non-lux. However, I found one SC model at LR North Point's Pre-Owned Inventory that had the different headrest. Can one order this headrest separately, then?

Sorry for being vague, I'm just really confused as to how these options are arranged in correspondence to the vehicle type.

Also, has anyone seen a SC in Giverny Green, how does the color look in the SC?

Thanks in advance.
    Well there are two different head rest designs depending on if the vehicle is equiped with the Rear Seat Entertainment option.

As for different interiors between the two cars there are not but...

The SC Range Rover can be had with two interiors that you cannot find on a HSE Lux range rover.

Those two interiors are Jet/Jet/Jet which means Jet as in black seating surfaces piping and carpet.

The other interior is Ivory/Jet/Jet

Both of these interiors have perforated, but not cooled although that is changing for 2007, leather seating surfaces.