Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pop Up Headlights

allchecksallchecks Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Ford
On a 97 Ford Probe is it possible, or wise, to leave the headlights in the up position during the winter to avoid the up and down action during icy weather? I have heard that this type of headlight often breaks, getting stuck in the up position, do to bad weather; zero degrees happens here. Can I remove a fuse after the lights are in the up position? Any reason not to do this?

Comments

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    My old '89 Integra had a switch on the dashboard that allowed the headlights to stay in the up position when the headlights (or the car) were off, to avoid the aforementioned ice damage. I'm surprised your Ford doesn't have the same thing...well, no I'm not, actually. There might be a fuse you could pull. Have you checked your owner's manual?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    ...has hidden headlights, but they're not the pop-up variety. Instead, the headlights are stationary, but the covers drop down. There's no switch to keep them stuck open, but there is a slot that you can reach with a screwdriver to disengage them. I had an '88 LeBaron that was the same way. I don't know if the Probe would possibly have something like that or not.
  • 94tbirdsc94tbirdsc Member Posts: 2
    there are relays next to your lights that you can unplug on a lot of cars . It is a square block (black) which is 1.5 inches square
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    My New Yorker 1978 had similar headlight covers. On occasion, I would note them open when the car was shut down, but never, ever, did I have them stuck shut. However, I had any number of electrical problems with that car that are off topic...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think most of them have a "fail-safe" open position, maybe by weighting or such. Some also can be opened manually in an emergency.
  • allchecksallchecks Member Posts: 25
    Thanks to all who responded. I removed a fuse to keep the lights up.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    On my 13 year old Accord with the pop up lights they have a separate switch to pop up the lights without the headlights going on for exactly the reason allchecks wants. There is also an "emergency" way to raise or lower the headlights under the hood. Guess Ford didn't figure it out even eight years later. Remove a fuse?????
    Wait 'til you buy some new rotors for that Hondo and discover they're integral to the hub! You'll want to trade for a Ford with the fuse in the light popper. (:oÞ
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Hey smart guy, the car has 154,639 miles with the original rotors. Any other body parts you'd like to stick in your mouth? Enjoy your Ford.
  • allchecksallchecks Member Posts: 25
    I've had one Honda and one Accura in the family. When they are good, they are very, very good. But when they are bad, they are very, very bad. Personally I don't see the big deal about owning a Honda vehicle, but I am thinking about some Honda stock since so many people thing they are the greatest thing that ever came down the pike.
    Good points. The most recent models (I understand) are reported to no longer have some of the poor engineering of the past, such as the integrated brake rotors that made brake jobs very involved and expensive. I doubt that any Hondas still sport "pop-up" headlights anymore. Most makers I suspect gave them up, due to the trouble they cause.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    These cars' pop-ups typically malfunction due to worn-out nylon bushings, which can be replaced in about 1 hour, and cost about $8. I fixed mine myself after the dealer wanted to replace the whole motor for some dreadful sum, like $200 per.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I had a '93 Probe and it had a switch underneath the radio to keep them in the up position. I seldom used it and never had a problem with them freezing, but you hear of horror stories. It would be surprising if they removed it in the later models!
    My 1978 Chrysler New Yorker had 'em, but my 1996 Chrysler Concorde does not. And that is good! (:oÞ
This discussion has been closed.