Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Agreed.

I forgot about that one from Mitsu!

I believe it also had a wierd name as well!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Make sure you do not get the 4 cyl engine as it costs much more to maintain, is noisy, and has insufficient power for a minivan. The same engine is in the PT Cruiser which does not have adequate power even with the much lower weight and geared for power instead of economy. ;)
    A 2002 with the 7 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty might be a better buy than a less expensive 2001.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Well I'm glad *somebody* thinks the '99-'04 Ody is attractive. I really think it is unappealing from pretty much any exterior angle.
    "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" as we can tell from observing the couples around us and amongst ourselves.

No need to say more...
    Caravans or DGCs are your best choices as they depreciate so badly vs the rest!
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    it's always a steal buying used domestic
    There are obvious reasons for it being so.
    I don't mind if the money is tight and the price is right. Afterall, a minivan is a place for spilling juice, exploding ketchup packets, loose cheerios, eternal grinding of french fries into the seats and kids to throw up.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    What do you mean by that, other than the depreciation?
    "Afterall, a minivan is a place for spilling juice, exploding ketchup packets, loose cheerios, eternal grinding of french fries into the seats and kids to throw up."

If that is your intended application, that is fine for you. My Ody is kept in very tidy, clean, spotless condition like the other 4 cars in my family.

I have seen some cars in parking lots in the condition you described. You would swear that there are some rats and roaches that are equally at home in there!! :)

In fact I have seen a car with an open roll of toilet paper slightly unravelled as if ready for use. :)
    The resale/used market is flooded by car rental and fleet units that prices have no other direction to go but drop rapidly. So you can get a used one at bargain prices if that model is what you really want.

Typically, I would target 1/2 price or less when new for a 2 year vehicle with less than 30K miles for most domestic vehicles.
    a friend of mine forbidden their kids (5&8) to eat in the minivan. He has the sienna xle (I think he paid about $34k, you know, the loaded high line model).

Actually I have a small roll of paper towel stashed in my van, in case there is a hurling contest.

As far as the dirt goes, a good steam cleaner can take care of almost anything.
    Actual depreciation is the difference between the price a person pays and the price that person receives when the item is re-sold.
    I cannot imagine people being stupid enough to compare trade-in value at 2 years with MSRP....instead of using real world numbers of actual selling price when new vs trade-in value 2 years later.
    Since DC offers big incentives and rebates (made possible by selling more than 3 times the volume of any other minivan), the actual depreciation of a GC SXT is no more than the depreciation of an Ody EX or Sienna LE when all have a similar MSRP when new. ;)
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I completely agree on this point. You'd think the reviewers wouldn't be that stupid. But their comments on depreciation usually sound like it. We looked at used vans, primarily domestic ones, and the kind of bargains like the ones the reviewers would have you believe were nowhere to be found. But I still believe the importants fair better in resale. Why? There're plenty of people blindly paying the high prices for them. I won't.
    "I cannot imagine people being stupid enough to compare trade-in value at 2 years with MSRP....instead of using real world numbers of actual selling price when new vs trade-in value 2 years later."

I agree with you. Unfortunately, many/most publications I've read that provide projected resale values DO seem to rely on MSRP as the starting point, rather than some sort of average or typical purchase price. I suppose it is easier just to use MSRP. It does make the resale value calculations less subjective, but it also makes them less useful and less realistic.
  • arussakarussak Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about going towards an 05' Sienna but wondered if anyone's heard about any big changes for 06'. I realize they're probably keeping everything the same but if I'm forced to pay close to MSRP for an 05 I may just wait for the 06 and pay a bit more.
    Thank you
    Test drove a 2004 Sienna LE...Very impressed with power at any speed but it was no quieter at cruising speed nor took curves any better than my 2002 T&C LX and lacked the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger. The Sienna was quieter on acceleration than my T&C. Sienna felt the smallest inside of the 3 minivans.
    Next test drove a new 2005 Odyssey EX. Impressed with power but it did not seem as peppy as the Sienna...which was a big surprise. The New 2005 Ody EX also was no quieter than my 2002 T&C LX...except on acceleration. I did not drive where I could test the Ody on curves. I greatly missed the Ody lack of overhead console with compass/outside temp and trip computer.
    Verdict: Sienna and Odyssey are more lively with the 5 speed AT than my T&C 4 speed with less powerful 3.3L V6. The 3.3L V6 is "more roar than go" after 45 MPH is reached. The transmission also has the whine that I did not notice in either the Sienna or Odyssey.
    Since I am not an agressive driver, the extra performance has never been missed as much as I would miss the complete overhead console with compass/outside temp and trip computer (Ody EX) OR the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger (Sienna LE).
    Hard for me to spend $27,206 discounted price of Ody EX with MSRP $28,510 when the Sienna LE is $24,900 discounted price from MSRP $27,289. The DC dealers never have given me the discounted price other than MSRP less employee discount and $2,000 rebate or $23,147 for MSRP $27,725. :confuse:
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I still have the sticker price on my DodgeGC SXT. Base sticker price was $26,680 plus $400.00 for the optional power liftgate. Brings sticker to $27,776 with $680.00 destination charge

Besides some of the things I listed before as standard, and what usually comes standard on all vans, I won't list. This is the rest, all standard on this van.

Four wheel disc anti lock brakes
    Traction Control
    Electric dual slidding doors,
    Three Zone A/C
    Power rear quarter vent windows
    Remote keyless entry with engine Immobilizer
    Leather wrapped steering wheel with radio controls
    Eight way power seat on drivers side
    Lockable storage bin under passenger's side seat
    Power, heated, fold away, outside mirrors,
    Overhead computer and universal garage door opener
    AM/FM radio, with CD and cassette and six speakers.
    Illuminated vanity mirrors
    Fog Lamps
    16 inch Aluminum wheels
    Driver's knee blocker air bag
    Cruise control
    Roof Rack
    Stow-n-Go seats
    Battery saver
    Automatic door locks
    Turn signal lights that warn people coming from behind that someone is exiting side doors, like they have on buses. Dodge tells you what doors are being opened.
    7 year or 70,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I take it all have power windows, door locks, automatic tranny, tilt steering wheel & etc.

I bought it back last Dec. for $23, 750.50 with zero percent financing.
    I was ready to buy a NEW 2005 GC SXT when I read about the DC employee discount. However, it appears that this is another lame marketing ploy of DC and the actual selling price is NO lower than it was before all the BS marketing appeared. I hate all the devious marketing games that are played by DaimlerChrysler, GM, and Ford. :mad:
    I need to test drive a 2005 GC SXT with 3.8L V6 to see if it has noticeably more performance than my 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L. When I test drove a new 2005 GC SXT in February 2004, it did not seem to have any more pep than my 02 T&C.
    With aggressive driving, DC minivans seem to have "more roar than go" while the Sienna really pushed me back into the seat and the Ody, though much more peppy than my 02 T&C, did NOT seem to have the get up and go of the Sienna. :confuse:
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I'm not sure which engine was in the 05 GC SXT you test drove in Feb. 04. But I do know that the 3.8L V6 is now 205 HP opposed to the one they made for the 2001redesign which was 3.8L V6 w/215 HP.
  • mperrottimperrotti Member Posts: 1
    does anybody know what the best minivan is to tow
    about 3500 lbs. years 2000 and up
    Actually, depreciation is influenced by what the market will bear for that product. And this is driven by supply and demand. Which is "Economics 101".

Those vehicles that are sold to car rentals and fleets are the ones that will show the steepest depreciation as they flood the market when used causing an oversupply and hence a lower demand situation. Great examples are Taurus, DGC, etc.
    Here is a comparo of those same minivans from a widely circulated published source,

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0505_minivans/index.html
    I guess that you and I (and Motor Trend in link below) are more informed.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0505_minivans/index.html
    Wow. I am impressed that Odyssey owners now use Motor Trend as THE AUTHORITY .
    I can't wait until another automobile authoritative source like Reader's Digest, Good Housekeeping, and Better Homes and Gardens rate the Odyssey as their first choice. :blush:
    "Wow. I am impressed that Odyssey owners now use Motor Trend as THE AUTHORITY .
    I can't wait until another automobile authoritative source like Reader's Digest, Good Housekeeping, and Better Homes and Gardens rate the Odyssey as their first choice."

How about the Hanna Report as the authority?

Try it and let us know how the public accepts it. Maybe your local seniors club would support you.
    Many Kia Sedona owners report excellent results towing boats and trailers in the 2000-4000 pound range. The Sedona's hefty build works against it in fuel economy, but is a real plus when it comes to towing.

Check the Kia Sedona topic and search for 'towing' and you should find plenty of discussion.
    does anybody know what the best minivan is to tow
    about 3500 lbs. years 2000 and up

Don't know about the older ones, but the new Dodge/Chryslers can tow up to 3,800lbs. That's more than Honda or Toyota. I would think the older ones should too as they have the same engine, tranny and body style. Although if you are considering a Dodge/Chrysler, don't buy one older than 2001or 2002.
    To be honest, I am very hesitant to purchase a domestic brand.

There has been very few complaints on the Chrysler/Dodge vans from 2002-2005. In long term quality, JD Powers said G.M has "the top model in eight categories, the most of any manufacture" The Chevy Malibu and Buick Century beat out Honda Accord, Toyota Camery and Toyota Avalon. Ford had two brands, ranking eight and twelth. Chrysler was the only brand to beat the industry average and even beat out parent Mercedes-Benz. So lets hear it for domestics once again.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Look for a DCX Minivan with factory tow package!! Can tow up to 3800lbs. ALL others top at at 3500lbs, and that's usually with dealer installed tow package. My research in trying to install tow package after the purchase is that it's much more prone to leaks and other issues. Most of the domestics will also have an auto leveling system for rear suspension, no the imports.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    "Wow. I am impressed that Odyssey owners now use Motor Trend as THE AUTHORITY .
    I can't wait until another automobile authoritative source like Reader's Digest, Good Housekeeping, and Better Homes and Gardens rate the Odyssey as their first choice."

How about the as the authority?

Try it and let us know how the public accepts it. Maybe your local seniors club would support you.

Keep in mind that MT also picked many stunning COYs....the GM X bodies, The Renault Alliance etc..... With all the Oddy recalls and problems, it appears that MT is keeping their "successful" record going!!!

FYI Guys - I know some of these guys in these automotive rags and Hans is as much of an authority as some of them!! They're not gods!!!!
    while you're at it, don't forget C&D and good ol edmunds.com!
    I can't wait until Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity recommend the Odyssey as their choice in minivans. ;)
    Will definitely buy the Odyssey when Art Bell reports that the Aliens have given the Odyssey the "Best Minivan of the Universe" award.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "Will definitely buy the Odyssey when..."

Thats right hans...I think the Odyssey is in line for a Nobel Peace Prize. It's awe inspiring beauty... and sporty, spirited ride is starting to spawn world peace. ;)

What's the latest on the minivan selection process? With your test drives...I guess you're saving the best for last...meaning the Mazda MPV. Once you test drive a ZOOM ZOOM you'll forget all about: the Ody, dual zone climate control, overhead console,bathing etc) The one good piece of advice I got from someone when trying to choose a minivan...was to go with your heart. If it's only 2k or 3k then go with you like best. If it's more than 3k...well, thats a tough one. Good luck though.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    The opinions on this board are pretty predictable and I would think by now everyone is tired of it all already. marine2 is a die-hard DCX fan, macakava is undeniably Ody, then you have jipster and a few others for the MPV. I don't know about you all but I get it already. Do we really need to go into it all over again every time someone makes a statement worthy of flaming (ie macakava)?

As for towing, if you are at all worried about older Dodge trannies or the newer "problems" Honda is supposedly having, then choosing either to routinely tow something over 2000lbs is asking for trouble and you should avoid them. If you don't care or are getting something else anyway, be sure to at least have a transmission cooler installed. Just about any minivan you buy is going to be a heavy FWD vehicle. This already stresses the transmission in the form of heat in a confined area. Towing another ton around on a routine basis will surely kill your transmission in short order without an aux transmission cooler. If it already comes with one, that's a bonus.
    "If it's only 2k or 3k then go with you like best. If it's more than 3k...well, thats a tough one. Good luck though."

It all depends on your income level(i.e. cars are introduced/made for household income brackets as we all know), and whether the extra dough you pay may force you to eat hot dogs and baked beans daily for the life of your new, more expensive purchase. :)
  • jejorg126jejorg126 Member Posts: 11
    After much research, I have decided to purchase a 2006 Toyota Sienna. As you would imagine, all of the salespeople are oozing slime trying to push me into purchasing an 05 to help clear out their inventory. Each one I have spoke with has told me the same story---that there will be no changes made to the 06 and that there will be no change in price. IS THIS TRUE?? I find this hard to believe. Regardless, I have decided to wait for the 06 model to decide for myself. One salesperson even told me that the 06 model wouldn't be released until November. Isn't it going to be released in September?

Anyway, what I really want to know is how the Sienna AWD will perform in the snow. I live in rural Southern Michigan with harsh winters and lots of snow. Will I be happy with a minivan, or should I look instead at an SUV or 4WD?
    AWD or 4WD is magnificent in the snow...to get going. It does not help in stopping. ABS takes care of stopping.
    My FWD Ford F-150 and Blazer AWD seem to be un-stoppable in ordinary snow depths while any of my FWD vehicles have been no better than rear wheel drive. ;)
    Sienna retain resale value very well and have great performance with the current engine. Sure, the new Avalon engine may be desireable for very aggressive drivers, but my T&C LX with much less power than the Sienna has always had more than enough power for my needs.
    Even with the added weight of AWD and power needed to drive all 4 wheels, I think the current Sienna should satisfy 99.9 % of all drivers.
    "My FWD Ford F-150 and Blazer AWD seem to be un-stoppable in ordinary snow depths while any of my FWD vehicles have been no better than rear wheel drive."

In snow or ice only conditions, I would pick FWD over RWD any day. With the superior PULL(FWD) versus PUSH(RWD) forces, I have been able to run circles around much more powerful RWD cars with a a lower powered FWD car. It is the physics and engineering of the process.

And I enjoyed doing it in the process!! It was fun looking at the faces of the drivers of these RWD cars then. :)
    "then you have jipster and a few others for the MPV"

Really?? Where??? As far as I know I'm the only MPV'er that frequents this board. Unless there are MPV owners (maybe mac?) disguising themselves off as diehard Ody owners. He does like to write ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM whenever given the chance. :)

But, seriously. We have new members pop in here all the time asking for comparisons. As members and host alike know...I am an unbiased minivan poster. I have pointed out the pros and cons of all minivans on the market...including my beloved MPV. So, yeah....you're likely to hear the same ole stuff sometimes.
    Sorry you are tired of it...but there are other boards. Or, you may scroll.
    Reguarding macs flaming...thats something for the hosts to deal with.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    get a sedona if you need to tow that much, it's a body on frame
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    I think you will be fine. My grandparents live in Battle Creek, MI and have an AWD 04 Sienna that they love. They drive it in the snow all the time, including out on rural roads to my parents, who live outside of Marshall.

Charlotte
    When FWD vehicles were spinning out :sick: I live in the Rocky Mountain region where we have snow and hills.
    Why? Am I just a more skilled driver? or, when going up a hill does the weight transfer off the front wheels of FWD and shift to rear wheels? OR, do tires on each vehicle have more effect than FWD or RWD?
    ALMOST every performance vehicle is Rear Wheel Drive ...and that is because rear wheel drive is better for performance. Front wheel drive is better to get more space in the same length vehicle in addition to slightly better fuel economy.
    Sadly, there are no viable rear wheel drive minivans now in production. :cry:
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I guess Astro is the best then!
    YES, if you want the most torque and the most interior space in a minivan. ;)
    Sadly, GM never improved on the Astro after introducing it 21 years ago. DC has made many changes and improvement as has Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. Ford and GM changes have been miniscule after dropping rear wheel drive Aerostar and Astro/Safari. The Ford and GM FWD minivans are sick jokes. :sick:
    I think Gm made a mistake by cancelling the astro. Many families like to tow campers, boat, utitilty trailers.... who do not want/afford a SUV. Fwd vans are not ideal for towing. Go to any boat ramp and see how many people use fwd vans to pull their boats (no matter how big or small) out of the water. GM could have spend a little bit of money to update the interior, reduce NVH, update the vortecs and trannies every now and then and they'll have that whole market by themselves.
    I kind of like the GM vans. I don't think I've read a single positive thing about them on Edmunds...but they're pretty good. I know I'll get stoned for this...but I like the SUV look they have. I would buy one if it had the fold flat third row seat , or if I thought I could get by without it...which I guess I could.

edited: Man...did I say "I" enough for you guys...yikes!
  • 3kidsinback3kidsinback Member Posts: 73
    Why is it imposible to have ABS, curtain airbags, and traction control on many of the lower trim lines of the DC minivans? I think you can only get this combo on a touring/ltd T&C model. Will this change in '06?
    DC minivan engines are NOT performance engines. We who own DC minivans know our minivan is NOT a performance vehicle so we don't drive aggressively and just do not need all the latest high tech passive protection items. :blush:
    DC also makes minivans for many income levels and do not have ABS, curtain airbags and traction control on lower levels to keep the price as low as possible. ;)
    I probably get better gas mileage in my T&C LX with 3.3L than I would in a Sienna or Odyssey that has alot more power. If I had that power, it would probably be used which would cause lower gas mileage. :confuse:
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    "We who own DC minivans know our minivan is NOT a performance vehicle so we don't drive aggressively and just do not need all the latest high tech passive protection items."

What? Passive protection items are there because they provide an extra margin of safety for ANY driver in an emergency or normal driving situation. Arguing that a minivan is NOT a performance vehicle and doesn't need that protection is silly, since you would then have drivers behind the wheel who would actually benefit the most from this protection. VSA, traction control, and ABS are useful for everyone but are of particular importance for drivers who are not skilled enough to maintain control in a dangerous or emergency situation.

I would agree more that the lack of safety features on the lower end models has to do with pricing and the fact that many vans are sold as rentals or to other fleets (govt, corporate, etc).

Another thing, how exactly do you have a FWD F-150? Im assuming thats a typo. 4WD perhaps? There is no comparing FWD to RWD in the snow. All other things being equal (TCS, VSA, etc) FWD can get you through the snow much better than RWD.

RWD is used on performance cars because it launches faster when you HAVE traction. Not to mention the lack of (compared to FWD) torque steer and simplicity compared (again) to FWD systems. In the snow, weight transfer is all well and good, but there still is not enough weight over the tires to do much compared to the relative ease of pulling a car throught the snow with the front two wheels. I don't know about you, but many streets that were totally impossible to get up in the snow with my RWD cars (Chevy Caprice, various work vans) are easily dealth with in FWD cars (Buick Regal, Accord, DCX and Honda minivans).