Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Hey guys, there's some topics over in 'News and Views' where this makes a bit more sense.
  • intheoryintheory Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have been looking for a used minivan in the Kansas City market for about 3 months now. We'd like to spend around $10k, less if possible. We'd really like a vehicle with 2nd row captain's chairs, 3rd row fold-down seating and less than 70k miles. Bells and whistles are not very important. Seems like reasonable expectations and doable...but we're having little luck.

Are our expectations out of line? Since the only minivans with fold-down seating (that I can find) are the '02+ MPV, '05+ Grand Caravan, (and the ubiquitous Odys and Sienna), I feel like we're really pushed into one of those 4...and those are just out of our price range. Unless we look at an Ody with 100k+ miles...which I'm not a fan of.

Looking at some of the other forums (i.e. MPV pricing experiences) there are some terrific deals people have gotten on new '05s, but we must have missed that window. I'd be willing to go up to $11k-$12k for a newer/lower mileage vehicle, but it appears there just isn't that middle range around here. (Living in Johnson County probably doesn't help.)

We've driven about every model of minivan, (Venture, Silhouette, Ody, Villager, Windstar, MPV, Freestar) and really have only felt good about the MPV and the Ody. The Silhouette was pretty good, but didn't have the storage options as the MPV or Ody.

Isn't it odd, with all the posts and reviews bemoaning "no navigation system option," and "where's the stabilitrak/whatever" that we get hung up on those darn seating arrangements? :) We seriously care less about DVD players and power-whatever--we just want a van that is easy to move people and things in, and is safe.

I'm frustrated that it has taken US automakers years to change the basic diferentiator of the minivan--seating--and instead they waste time and cycles building these niche flash-in-the-pan vehicles (*cough*SSR*cough*HHR) that don't deliver value to families. It would at least give us more options in regards to models/manuf to look at if that basic function was in the offerings from Chevy/Ford.

Sorry, a bit of a rant there probably best suited for another forum.

Anyway, just frustrated and wondering if others have any insite, or if there are some KC shoppers around that can point to some good lots. We've hit plenty of them around Overland Park/Olathe and a few in Raytown (shudder).
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The MPV, Grand Caravan, Sienna or Odyssey would all be good choices and the lowest priced model of each does NOT have those silly options you wrote about. :shades:
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    In comparing the rear seats of the Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan and Freestyle (yeah, not a minivan, but it's what I have), it looks to me that the Caravan has the most uncomfortable looking seats because of the upward angle to them. If you look at the other 3 photos, the seats bottoms are more horizontal. Any opinions?

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaOdyssey/Images/RearSeat2.jpg
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaSienna/Images2004/RearSeat2.jpg
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/DodgeCaravan/Images2005/RearSeat.jpg
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/FordFreeStyle/Images/RearSeat2.jpg
    Agree with comment about GRAND Caravan rear seat angle but the Caravan has as comfortable rear seat as any...except for having less leg room.
    On the other hand, both the Freestyle and Freestar have UNCOMFORTABLE 3rd row seats because they are NOT high enough off the floor.
    That leaves the Sienna and Odyssey with THE ONLY really comfortable 3rd row seats. :shades:
    "If you look at the other 3 photos, the seats bottoms are more horizontal. Any opinions?"

My opinion is that you can only tell so much from a photo. Go sit in each because looks can be VERY deceiving.

Case in point: the +1 seat in the Ody EX and EX-L LOOKS like some kind of torture device used in the Spanish Inquisition. After actually trying it, I wouldn't have any problem using it for a 2-3 hour stint.

If possible, try what my wife and I did: we went to a car show which had examples from all the manufacturers. We went from one to the next many many times trying to gauge how we liked seat comfort, control feel and layout, etc. You can only do so much with a picture.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    We don't use the 3rd row in our Freestyle too often, if we needed the 3rd row all the time we would have bought a minivan. But for an SUV/CUV/Big Wagon, the 3rd row isn't too bad in the Freestyle. Note that I would never buy a Freestar minivan.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I agree with hansienna. I shopped all the minivans and found the Odyssey and Sienna to be the most comfortable for both second and third row seats.
    Case in point: the +1 seat in the Ody EX and EX-L LOOKS like some kind of torture device used in the Spanish Inquisition. After actually trying it, I wouldn't have any problem using it for a 2-3 hour stint.

Too funny.. Yeah, I was surprised too when I sat in it (with regards to comfort). I thought for sure that it would end up being the "time out" seat if a kid was acting up....

;)
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    "That leaves the Sienna and Odyssey with THE ONLY really comfortable 3rd row seats".
    Hum... Quite a bold statement. My 2 cents. We never tried the Grand Caravan when shopping for a minivan, but DID test drove EXTENSIVELY the Sienna 05 XLE. We now own a Nissan Quest 05 SE. No doubt in my mind the Sienna 3rd row has MUCH LESS legroom than the Quest. Many times we did the trip from Potomac, MD to Williamsburg, VA (a ~3hr drive). My wife sat back on the 3rd row bench with my daughter and found it very comfortable. Sienna doesn't have the higher "stadium seating" for its 3rd row either, compared to the Quest. As for Odyssey, I can't tell since we never liked its styling even for its new design, so we didn't bother to test drive it.
    Sat in 3 Nissan Quest 3rd row seats and they were NOT comfortable due to lack of toe space under 2nd row seats. In all 3 Nissan Quest minivans I sat in, there was carpet hanging down from the 2nd row seats that prevented my feet being underneath them.
    Did Nissan change this in the 2006? OR, does your wife sit in the middle of the 3rd row seat and put her feet forward in the aisle space between the 2 bucket seats of the 2nd row?
    Funny you should mention you did not like the Odyssey styling since most people think the Quest is the ugliest minivan made...inside and out. (My Sienna exterior styling is not much more attractive than the Quest). :shades:
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    "Case in point: the +1 seat in the Ody EX and EX-L LOOKS like some kind of torture device used in the Spanish Inquisition"

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • intheoryintheory Member Posts: 2
    Well we lucked upon a reasonably priced 99 Ody EX (at 2 am in the morning or so searching online) and took it home tonite to testdrive and run by the mechanic tomorrow. I think it might work. At this point I'm so tired of looking, I think we'll work out a decent deal and call this search done if all checks out.
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    I'm a fan of Honda - I like Ody better than Sienna. I like Civic better than Corolla, and Accord better than Camry. Having said that, I wanted to check out the Korean pair to see what all buzz was about.

I checked out Sienna LE/XLE, Odyssey EX-R Leather, Entourage GLS leather and Sedona EX Lux pkg on the same day. I was fully expecting Ody EX-R to come out as the winner. But, I was surprized with the Korean pair after the test drives - they were very competitive with the Japanese pair! I tried hard cornering out of highway ramps, hard acceleration, and sudden lane switches. They rode nicely, they handled nicely and quality of interior materials were very nice. Ody vs Korean vans were about the same. As usual, I don't like Toyota's soft feel. Lots of nice little touches on the Korean vans. You can tell they spend their time doing home work.

I honestly couldn't tell the quality difference between Sedona and Entourage - perhaps Hyundai looked a bit younger in spirit because of the use of aluminium trim over wood and slightly cooler looking gages. I personally don't mine the warm feel of the wood trims. I am really trying to justify myself to say I can afford Odyssey Touring but I hoestly shouldn't be spending that much money on any car!

Using their numbers (inc. discount), this is what I get (all in Canadian dollars):

Odyssey Touring: $768/month
    Entourage GLS Leather: $660/month
    Sedona EX Lux package: $615/month
    Odyssey EX-L Res: $674/month
    Sienna LE: $593/month
    Sienna XLE: $771/month

(You American boys and girls should feel lucky! Look at the price I have to put up with... :( )

Obviously, Sienna XLE is out. Very sad to see 40% residual value after 4 years out of Toyota. Odyssey Touring is out too - too expensive. Sienna LE just doesn't have enough gadget for me... :)

So Sedona vs Ody EXL-Res:

Sedona has the following over Ody:
    - Manual automatic gear (I think I would use it)
    - Trip computer (I use this alot)
    - Rain sending wiper (my wife will like this!)
    - Power Tail gate (my wife will for sure, I may like it too)
    - memory seats (nice since my wife and I are not the same size)
    - Adjustable pedal (hmm)
    - Fog light (could be useful in bad weather?)
    - Chromic mirror (have to try this out, not sure of its usefulness)

So not all of the above are useful, but the list is rather long.

All of the above are 4 year lease payments, zero down.
    I'm tempted to go with Sedona based on the above price.

Few odd differences between Sedona and Entourage:

Only Entourage has:
    - MP3 Player
    - Rear parking assist
    - DVD player

Only Sedona has:
    - Sunroof
    - Auto rainsensing wiper
    - Adjustable pedals

One negative thing I found about the Korean van - the location of DVD player. On Entourage, they don't come with sunroof, but still DVD is located further back from where sunroof is supposed to be. DVD screen is really close to the 2nd row seats, forcing audiences to turn their head more than 45 degree. I dont think this is a natural position to be for extended period of time. If I install DVD on Sedona, I will probably end up with the same problem.

Since I am leasing, depreciation cost is a non-factor - it is already built into the monthly payment. Honda offers 3 years warranty vs 5 years for Korean pair, hence it is actually safer to lease the Korean vans.

I can't believe I am saying I may buy a Kia over Honda but I may actully do it this time! :)
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For all the die-hard fans of X brand, it doesn't matter what their favorite company makes (or doesn't make), they will still love and buy that vehicle. I personally owned different Japanese cars, from Honda Civic, to Mazda Protege to the current Nissan Quest. I have no attachment to any brand in particular. So to me the current Quest styling is appealing because it marks a radical change from its own previous versions (absolutely hideous if you ask me!), as well as all the rest of minivans (either jelly-bean or simply boxy shape). On the other hand, the current Odyssey offers minimal changes compared to the previous model (somewhat different headlights, and mostly a lateral stretch in its dimentsion). Anectodally, the other day my brother-in-law who has the previous Odyssey version couldn't tell much different between his and the new one when parked side-by-side in a shopping parking! If anything, it becomes even "BOXIER" than before (if that's possible!). Many other people I know share this opinion. Bottom line, in my objective opinion if you want something new, beautiful and stands out of the crowd, the Quest wins hand down. TO BE WITH THE CROWD, well..., you have all other vans to choose from! That's to me is quite clear. But again, if someone is an Odyssey die-hard fan, all this doesn't matter, right? :P BTW Sienna style (05+) is prettier than Odyssey if you ask me.
    Second, you're right about unable to put your toes under the 2nd row seat in the Quest when sitting near the windows. That's because the Quest has "stadium seating" for its 3rd row. However I can move my legs more forward in the Quest. In Sienna, the most I can stretch my legs is a tad over 90o with my thighs, even when I scoot all the way back against the bench. That makes it uncomfortable on the long rides, having your legs always in this L angle. As said before, my wife sits near the window in the 3rd row for these 3-hour ride and never complained. Trust me, I would hear plenty of it if she's uncomfortable back there!
  • sc00bssc00bs Member Posts: 87
    You said: Agree with comment about GRAND Caravan rear seat angle but the Caravan has as comfortable rear seat as any...except for having less leg room.

I say: Yep I agree also, but looks are most certainly deceiving. I looked at the DGC and thought ick those seats look so uncomfortable but they were comfortable. I was completely shocked.
    Very nice comments. Other than possible first year woes, the new Kia/Hyundai vans look very competitive. It is quite impressive how Kia has surpassed GM and Ford (IMO) in just a few years of minivan production.

Incidentally, Honda's warranty improved slightly for 2006. The bumper to bumper is still 3/36 but the powertrain is waranteed for 5/60.
    "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Cardinal Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    You said: Agree with comment about GRAND Caravan rear seat angle but the Caravan has as comfortable rear seat as any...except for having less leg room.

I say: Yep I agree also, but looks are most certainly deceiving. I looked at the DGC and thought ick those seats look so uncomfortable but they were comfortable. I was completely shocked.

I didn't find the angle of the third row seats uncomfortable. But I didn't like the third row seat backs. Sits you strait up and won't recline any. That is what was uncomfortable to me.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Actually the third-row seats in the Dodge Grand Caravan DO recline.
    I have sat in the 3rd row seat of many GC...with Stow 'N Go and without and the 3rd row seats reclined in every one. ;)
    I have sat in the 3rd row seat of many GC...with Stow 'N Go and without and the 3rd row seats reclined in every one.

Maybe you can help me find the lever that allows the seat back to recline farther. I haven't found it.
    There is a little strap (not a lever if I recall correctly) on each of the 60 or 40 portion, near the bottom of the seat back next to the wheel well that will enable either side to recline if the seat back is pushed rearward; or it will enable the seat back to tip forward so the entire seat can fold into the floor.
    The Stow and Fold 3rd row seats of the Sienna work in a slightly different manner. In the Sienna, the back of the 3rd row seat is facing upward when it is folded into the floor whereas the DC minivans have the bottom of the seat facing upward when the entire seat is folded into the floor. :shades: I think the Odyssey has the best folding mechanism for the 3rd row seats since it allows the 3rd row seat cushion to be relatively flat while working slightly easier than the Sienna mechanism.
    I am not positive that the rear seat would recline when the 2005 minivans with Stow 'N Go were first introduced in January 2004. The 3rd row seat may have been modified during the production run.
    I knew it would allow it to go forwards to fold into the floor. Didn't know it would allow it to go backwards also. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it'll work.
    Thanks.
  • tpa2tpa2 Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone tell me when side curtain airbags became an option on the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey? Any chance of finding a used one before 2003 with these airbags?
    Thanks,
    Tonia
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Any chance of finding a used one before 2003 with these airbags? You won't find any prior to 2003. Airbag safety systems can't be added easily by the OEM or aftermarket...they take a lot of design effort. Usually they're added same time as a major redesign when they're easier to integrate.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I knew it would allow it to go forwards to fold into the floor. Didn't know it would allow it to go backwards also. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it'll work.
    Thanks.

Hans is right....there's strap on each side and they allow the angle to be adjusted. I know the Honda's also adjust but you can't do it while seated in seat, you have to do it from back hatch area. Not sure about others.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Side airbags have been around since the 2002 Odyssey, but the head curtains came later, 2004 (Toyota) and 2005 (Honda)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Plain old side airbags became standard with the 2002 Odyssey MMC (Minor Model Change) but side curtain airbags did not arrive until the 2005 FMC (Full Model Change)

On the Sienna, side curtain airbags arrived with the launch of the 2004 model in March 2003.
    Many thanks for the info.

So I need a car and am looking at a minivan. Cost is an issue so we cannot just go out and buy a new one. Looking at a 2003 Honda Odyssey Ex. Good van? Like most parents, I am most concerned about safety. Part of me is leaning toward a used Volvo wagon for that reason but we could use the space in a minivan. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tonia
    Around here, low mileage 2003 Odyssey EXs go for around 20k. That's not much less than a brand new 2006 Kia Sedona LX. You can get those for under 22k at Carsdirect.com, so I assume you could negotiate them for less at a local dealer.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Or, if you want to go the used route and can wait a year, wait on a used 2006 Sedona. Those should be CHEEEEAP on the used market, likely less than a 2003 EX-L (assuming a Sedona EX).
    You know I just stopped at the Kia dealer this morning and looked at a brand new Kia Sedona. The one with the 5 star rating on front,rear and side impact. With the side curtain airbags all the way back. I love it. I mean I am shocked because I am sort of easing into this minivan idea. It was nice and roomy. Felt safe. I like it better than the Honda adn the Toyota vans I have looked at so far. So I am assuming this car will be a whole lot cheaper used if I can wait a year. But I need a car now. Like this week because the old one needs an expensive repair and is not worth it to fix. I was thinking I should just buy an inexpensive used Subaru wagon, drive it for a year then switch it to the commuter car for dh and buy the Kia a year from now used. But the Subaru seems so small and uncomfortable. (I drove Subarus for years, took two to over 300K but I've gained a few pounds since then.)

Here is my question. IS depreciation a factor if we are planning to drive the van for the next 10 years? Is the Kia van going to hold up that long?

BTW, I found an 03 Odyssey here for 13K but it has 89K miles on it. No side airbags in the back either. One owner, seems nice. It is an EX. Leather, sliding doors, etc.

Opinions on what I should do here are welcome. We have one child, planning on at least one more, hence the van idea.

Thanks!
    Tonia
    If you got lucky, maybe you could find a 2004 Toyota Sienna CE or LE model with side curtain airbags. I'd think you could find one with under 50k miles for under $20,000.
    So would you avoid a Kia? I cannot find a used Sienna with side curtain airbags unless I go up to the XLE ltd model. Even then, the closest one to me is 150 miles away. Too much $$ for our budget. 26,000+ It doesn't look like they were an option on the LE.

Is the new Kia a bad choice? It seems to have everything we need at a price we can handle. I will probably drive it for the next 10 years. I am a bit worried because it is so new so there is no reference for comparison as far as its longevity. Anyone here have an opinion? Pro or con, either one.
    Thanks
    I think the new Kia is a sound purchase compared to an older generation Odyssey or Sienna with more miles and no warranty. Aside from the fact that I preferred many aspects of my 06 Odyssey EX-L over the Kia, I thought the Kia was a nice van. I would be a little concerned about the reliability factor with regards to Kia, but it does have a solid warranty. Hyundai/Kia has a history of bad resale value as well. But if you are planning on keeping the minivan for ten years, that should not matter nearly as much. Considering safety is one of your major concerns, and if the new Kia fits your budget I would put that at the top of the list. Have you considered the DCX vans? You should easily be able to find one 1-2 years old with loaded (w side airbags) with low miles?

Good luck!
    What is a DCX?
    Sorry, Daimler Chrysler (in this case the Town and Country and Dodge Grand Caravan)..
    The 2006 Sedona was my first suggestion, I was just giving an alternative. Kia has a great warranty. As long as the company stays in business in the USA and you have a good dealer, you shouldn't have major expenses over 5/10 years.
    Read the Kia Sedona boards. Many owners reported that it is difficult to get Kia dealers to honor the warranty when they can get parts. :shades:
    We drove the Kia tonight. I have a couple of issues with it though. Like a major one is that the nice Kia with all the bells and whistles was 30,000.00 A lot more than I've ever seen advertised. The EX a step down was 26,900 and the LX was 23,something. I really want the power doors. Just seems like something I would appreciate when dropping off kids at school and such. To get that we are looking at the high end model. Not the great deal I keep hearing about. Do those prices seem high? What about the 20,000.00 I keep hearing about?

Maybe I will have to compromise on the side curtain airbags and go used Toyota. Are they safe? For the kids in the back?

I want a safe minivan for under 22,000.00 with some bells and whistles. Power doors, a dvd package. Most of all safe. Can this be done?

Thanks
    Go to carsdirect.com . Enter your zip code. They will give you a guaranteed quote on the model of your choice with the options that are available in your area.

This price isn't necessarily a great price, but you should never pay more. If local dealers won't beat the price, then buy through carsdirect.com. You'll have the last laugh when carsdirect.com delivers your new car through one of those local dealers. Most likely, when you email or visit local dealers, they will beat the carsdirect.com price by a good margin. Of course, they will try to get you to pay more, add options or move up to a higher trim level for more money. It's all part of the game.

You can also try buying services like Sam's Club, Costco, local credit unions, autobytel.com and many others.

If you need things like power doors, entertainment system and other extras, a new van probably won't meet your price constraints. I thought you were looking more for a low cost entry model with side curtain airbags, sorry.
    Well I don't know what I am looking for. I feel overwhelmed. 20,000.00 is a lot of money for me so I want something I will be happy with. I think I should go test drive the Toyotas and Hondas. Looks like a slightly used 2006 Toyota CE is lower in price than the Kia and you still get the airbags. Just can't find one close by.

Thanks so much for all your help. Looks like I just need to get out the and drive a few more vans.
    My sister recently bought a nice used 2005 GC SE with 23,000 miles for $ 14,500. It has 2 built in child seats in the 2nd row bench seat, 60/40 split fold into the floor 3rd row seat, separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers, power windows, power rear vent windows.
    She had 170,000 on a used 1986 Caravan SE when it was sold 5 or 6 years ago...and it had no problems all those years except the 4 cyl had too little power.
    Many people I know have purchased 3 or 4 DC minivans since they came out 26 years ago. Complete satisfaction keep them buying DC minivans when they need a newer vehicle. :shades:
    Yeah, but the Toyota CE is a stripped down model and does not have any power features/DVD player either..

You really should look at a used Dodge Caravan SXT with airbags, power doors, and a DVD player.. You should be able to find a used one for close to your price point (new ones in my area with DVD, leather, power doors, etc, are going for about 23-24K).

Otherwise, you will have to find a used 2002-2003 Toyota or Honda with power doors, DVD, etc...
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Do those prices seem high?

Those prices are MSRP...which is the asking price. Knock 2 or 3 thousand off MSRP and you will be close to invoice price...what a good negotiator tries to get a vehicle for. How are your negotiation skills? You should be able to get a new 2006 Kia LX for around $22,000. No help on the Kia Sedona Prices Paid board for LX's.

I think a new or one year old Dodge Grand Caravan would fit your requirements as well.

I would definitely take my time, do your homework on what the vehicles you are interested in are going for...and most importantly, buy something you really like and will enjoy, since you say you'll be driving this van for the next ten years.

The Toyota vans are very safe, but there are a lot of people who highly recommend the side curtain airbags.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    the Toyota CE is a stripped down model and does not have any power features...

The 2006 CE is hardly a stripped down model. Some standard equipment on the CE: 5 speed auto. trans (same engine and transmission as in the higher priced models), front side and curtain airbags, antilock brakes, tire pressure monitor, front and rear a/c, tilt/telescope steering wheel, second row bucket seats, power windows, power locks, power mirror, remote keyless entry, cd player, rear defogger wiper
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Wow, your right. I think I was comparing it to the 05 model which did not have side airbags..

CE's in my area are going for under $22K..

So are Odyssey LX's and Hyundai Entourage's...

Granted this is before tax, tag, and title but it looks like there are quite a few options for $22-23K. You won't be able to get power doors and a DVD player for that price on a new van however..
    The wife and I almost bought the Sienna CE in May of 2004, when it was a hot seller and going close for sticker.(in our area)

To get the "safety package" on the CE was an additional $2,700 I believe. Safety package included side and curtain airbags, 4 wheel disc antilock brakes, vehicle stability control and a few other things.

My experience has been Sienna CE's in general are very difficult to find. Someone on a budget, or who doesn't care for all the extra features, would be very happy with the base CE. :)
    I have sat in the 3rd row seat of many GC...with Stow 'N Go and without and the 3rd row seats reclined in every one.

Well your right hansienna, if you pull strap #1 in back of the third row seat, it will tilt backwards as well as forwards. I am now a happy man. I can't complain of any of the seats in the Dodge minivans now. Not quite as soft as the others, but not uncomfortable at all.