Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    2007 Sienna 3.5L V6 rated 266 HP and 245 lb-ft Torque vs 244 HP and 240 lb-ft Torque of 2007 Odyssey.
    The 4.0L V6 in the 2007 Chrysler Pacifica has 255 HP and 265 lb-ft Torque with 6 speed AT. Another source indicates this engine/transmission combination will be in the 2008 DC minivans that will probably be on sale in a few months (February, 2007). :shades:
    BTW, nice photos posted by thegraduate as well as the D3 button on the Odyssey not generally known by many people. ;)
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Honda has a dealer accessory for the self-dimming rear-view mirror that includes a compass. The outside temp is in the guage cluster (next to trip odo). The Touring includes a bunch of fuel mpg, dte type gadgets in the MID computer...but not on the EX-L. I've never found the dte, mpg, etc. to be accurate in my previous or current Dodges, so I guess I never got too excited about that feature. I'm a NAV fan so compass is pretty much like cassettes in my book :P

The only gear you can't lock the Ody into is 4th. I think 4 and 5 are both OD gears and are very close in ratio, so 4 really wouldn't do much anyway.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    While it would be risky to wait until 08 MY DCX vans hit the dealer lots, there should be plenty of information and reviews of pre-production models to get the info on what features they will have. I'll be in the market for a replacement minivan next summer myself, so I've been trying to get all the info I can on the 08 DCX vans. I don't have too much and have a lot of questions still unanswered. I work for an automotive supplier that has one of the 08 DCX vans to test, but it is masked up and I don't personally know the people on that project.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    My company will be supplying some really unique items to the 08 DCX Minivan, I really can't say anything though! I can say they are features that will be copied by others. My only reservations is buying a first model year of any vehicle! Nice thing with 08 DCX Minivan is that many of the major components won't be brand new i.e...new V6/tranny is in producton for Pacifica. The power Stow N Go will be a hit, and the cup warmer/coolers too!!
    Can you say when your company will be sending these unique items to DC?
    I was told by a sales manager at a local DC dealership that the 2008 GC and 2008 T&C will be in dealer showrooms in late January or early February 2007...in like manner that the redesigned 2005 models appeared in early 2006. :shades:
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Sorry hansienna, but the dealers know nothing about the intro date for the '08 vans. They are totally in the dark, I promise. I hope it's early '07, but I doubt it.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Yeah, I thought the new model release usually comes out in September and possibly as early as July, but I have not seen it being release in January. Who knows they might say that to get you down to their dealership and possibly convince you to buy an '07 with all the available attractive incentives that your temptation might give in. I would call them first or tell them to give you a call when it comes in so you will not waste your time. Just my suggestion. :)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I was just told by DCX engineer that introduction is set for 07 North American Autoshow in Detroit, in January with production of summer 07.
    I was at the DC dealership getting an oil and oil filter change for my daughter's T&C LX and while there I asked a sales manager when the 2008 models would arrive. He did not try to high pressure me or sell me a new vehicle. ;)
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Sales managers at car dealerships generally have a longevity of about 3-6 months before they get blown out. They no nothing about product; only how to make money off you. I have known a few long-serving sales managers, but not many. Most are completely ignorant of product knowledge.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    Just test-drove an 06 EX. Nice around town, but rather loud engine noise and uncertain, jumpy transmission on the highway. Is the 07 better in these respects?
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    I doubt they've improved anything in that regard. I think the mid cycle refresh is 2008.

You might try another Odyssey. Those two issues are not typical complaints you hear. Road and tire noise are quite prevalent at highway speed on various pavement, but I never noted wind or engine noise to be notably worse than the competition.
    Plus, figure 6-12 months before the various recalls and reliability issues are resolved for most first year models. Also, for those concerned about safety, crash tests aren't usually available on brand new models for at least a few months after introduction. While Kia managed top scores with it's second generation minivan, the class originator still hasn't managed to do so after numerous updates. If 2008 is "all-new", I'd consider waiting for a late 2008, a 2009 or buy something that is already at least a year into its current design. Just my preference, I know others love having the newest thing so YMMV.
    I have driven more than 1 Odyssey EX of different years and I never noticed a loud engine or uncertain, jumpy transmission anywhere...city or highway. :shades:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Glad to see the Odyssey is getting this long overdue feature. Who else in the minivan field offers this?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Glad to see the Odyssey is getting this long overdue feature. Who else in the minivan field offers this?"

Sienna for one. On most (if not all) of their trim levels. They have since the '05s were released.
    The 2004 Sienna also had the tilt and telescopic steering wheel which I saw on March 31, 2003 when I also picked up the 2004 Sienna brochure. ;)
    Doh! That's right - I dunno why I was thinking the current generation Sienna began with the '05 models.
  • tjmasseytjmassey Member Posts: 3
    If it breaks don't plan on having Honda fix it, I've had so many problems with my Honda and they pay for very little. Even wrote to Japan, obviously the H has nothing to do with honor
    "If it breaks don't plan on having Honda fix it..."

That hasn't been my experience with either a noisy door slider (fixed) or noisy brakes (fixed per Honda issued TSB) on our '05 Odyssey.

Both issues resolved immediately upon being mentioned to the service writer at our local Honda dealer. And we didn't even BUY our Honda from this dealer.
    Hi guys, do you guys recommend buying extended warrantee for the Honda Odyssey, I have '07 with DVD and Navi. The most important thing is I am afraid are the power doors might go out. I would like to hear your inputs. Thanks!
    Well, I suppose one could ask if the power sliders going out has been a problem with any of the older Odysseys?

Personally, I dunno. I know that there have been occasional issues with the sliders on older Odysseys but (from what I understand) these are usually corrected by cleaning the contacts. Our sliders made a bit of noise not long after purchase but this was due to the fact that we live down a 1 mile unpaved driveway and exessive dust was getting into the exposed portion of the mechanism. I've since taken a little extra care to hose it out when washing the van and applying some additional lube. Problem hasn't reoccured (but I doubt this is an issue with 99% of the Ody's sold).

Having DVD and Navi (and, I assume, a Touring model) you've probably got more 'stuff' to go wrong. Simply for the peace of mind, an extended warrantee may be worth it.

My wife and I opted not to get one on our EX-L. It remains to be seen if that proves to be a wise decision or not.
    Extended warranties are a gamble, plain and simple. Oh, sure they read like an insurance policy, but it's still gambling. You're paying someone (with far better resources) to tell you how much it's going to cost to guarantee (sort of) you won't have to pay for a future repair (some exclusions apply!!). The insurance companies have calculations based upon the features on your car, how much they cost to repair, estimated repair frequency, etc. They've determined how much to charge so that they can MAKE money on your insecurity.

I do know folks that just plain have more trouble with vehicles than others, so perhaps if you're a ticking time-bomb when it comes to vehicles....go for the warranty and hedge your bets.

The only thing you know FOR SURE about a warranty is that it's absolutely 100% going to cost you $XXXX. If you dont' get the warranty, your covered during the standard warranty and then after that you may or may not have to spend more than $XXXX.

FWIW, we've had zero problems with our doors in 18 months. It's a fairly simple thing really. An electric motor with a reverse sensor. I'd be more concerned about the DVD player or CD-Changer acting up.
    This smells like a questionable posting by a Honda basher. Did anyone else check the profile for the poster? Interesting that the CarSpace was joined the same date as posting and there are no other postings and no personal data. :confuse:
    Please accept my apology if my assumption is wrong. ;)
    I had noticed that but didn't want to bring it up. I also noticed that ZERO details were provided to flesh out the post. And who in the heck writes a letter to Honda in Japan? If they were that upset about a problem, you'd think there would be SOME mention of what the problem was when they posted here?

I also noticed that no post had been made in the Ody Problems and Solutions board. Just a jump directly into this thread and then.....-poof-.....gone.
    Thank you rorr and sebring95 for all your inputs. I appreciated your responses. I take it both of you guys did not purchased or do not have extended warrantee on your vehicles.

rorr, based on what you have seen the slider doors on the Odyssey are pretty reliable?
    Outside of the noise issue mentioned earlier, no problems with the sliders in the last nearly 2 years now. They aren't rocket science. Besides, the motors can be switched off and the doors operated manually.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Hey Dick Tracy... looks like his username is his real name. Some people (i.e lurkers) just don't like to post. So, please follow my example guys, and don't make assumptions about other members. ;)

Edited: After reading post #2760 looks as if I was right... again! :P
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    No, I've been trying to get them to honor their warranty extension for almost a year now. I paid almost $5000.00 for the trans with only 80k miles. The dealer tried also but Honda of American and Honda of Japan both say they don't have to honor warranty extension the same as recalls. Sounds like you work for Honda and I take your attack personal.
    "Extended warranties are a gamble, plain and simple."

True. It's sorta like Blackjack. If you just wing it, you're gonna lose money. If you play by the book, you will almost break even over time. If you also count cards and use a betting strategy, you will probably take home money in the long run.

The same is true for insurance like an extended warranty. If you buy one at list price for a reliable vehicle like a base model 2007 Odyssey LX that is already a few years into its current design, you're almost always gonna lose money. If you get a substantial discount (many factory plans can be found for up to 50% off list online), you may well break even, given the odds of having at least a couple repairs in the period an extended warranty would cover. Maybe you bought a first year Odyssey Touring in 2005 (that year only had 3/36 powertrain warranty standard), NAV/DVD plus all the bells and whistles and you may well come out ahead.

Also consider that Honda's extended warranty adds some other value, like the equivalent of a AAA membership with roadside assistance and such.

Finally, keep in mind that regardless of whether you come out ahead, the dealer always makes money at the time of the sale because their only financial interest is the markup on the plan above the cost from the factory. The manufacturer can also still make money even when you come out ahead, because their cost for labor and parts is much lower than what you would pay out-of-pocket.

I'm not saying extended warranties are a good idea. They're not on most things. I am saying that you can even the odds quite a bit by being smart when making your choice.
    Thanks mr warranty guru. What do you think of a company that extends a warranty for defective products they produced and then refuses to honor that same warranty? Dis-Honorable is the only nice thing think I can say about such a company. I'm not just bashing Honda, I'm still a Honda owner but, any other car I but will not be a honda and I'll continue warning others.
    "No, I've been trying to get them to honor their warranty extension for almost a year now. I paid almost $5000.00 for the trans with only 80k miles."

The only warranty extension regarding Honda transmissions is for the 2000-2001 Accords, Odyssey, and Preludes, the 2000-2002 (and some '03) Acura TL, and the 2001-2002 (and some '03) Acura CL.

What model/year Honda do you have that Honda is not honoring the warranty extension on?
    What do you think of a company that extends a warranty for defective products they produced and then refuses to honor that same warranty?

If there is clearly a warranty on the car, and clear documentation that the transmission:

1.) is covered by said warranty

and

2.)was repaired before said warranty expired

You should have no problem suing and winning the lawsuit on breach of contract, as well as winning for punitive damages (cost of the repair to you), it would be quite clear.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If this helps anyone in anyway in regards to Honda transmissions is that Honda sort of replaced my transmission at 72K miles in my 2002 Odyssey. (I had to pay $600 for labor)

One day the transmission blew, and the dealership said Honda would cover it, but I had to pay labor. I paid the $600, waited a few days, and got my car back. :)
    "You should have no problem suing and winning the lawsuit on breach of contract, as well as winning for punitive damages (cost of the repair to you), it would be quite clear."

mr warranty guru agrees;-)

If you meet all the stipulations of the Honda warranty contract, they either repair your vehicle or you start writing letters to your state's consumer affairs department that oversees auto dealers, the state attorney general's office, other related consumer agencies and then file a lawsuit to have your repairs and court costs covered. If you don't meet the letter of the contract, then you obviously haven't told us the whole story and are bashing Honda unfairly.

Honda has done a lot of goodwill for Odyssey transmission failures outside of warranty, jchan2 is one example. I'd think you'd have to be pretty belligerent or just have a bad dealer to be excluded from goodwill repairs if your vehicle wasn't abused or excluded for some other reason.
    "I'd think you'd have to be pretty belligerent or just have a bad dealer to be excluded from goodwill repairs if your vehicle wasn't abused or excluded for some other reason."

I applaud your diplomacy, sir. Much better than I could have done..... :blush:
  • buffalovanbuffalovan Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone knew of the specific minivans that offer AWD? I live in Buffalo and it is vital that we have AWD for my family, but all the searches I am doing are coming up fruitless. So far, I know the Toyota Sienna comes with AWD. Is that it???

-Krissy
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    You're correct, for 2007 Toyota is the only game in town. GM discontinued their AWD in their Minivans. You should consider a crossover SUV i.e..Pilot, Freestyle, and theres a ton of new ones coming out in a few weeks. I like the Ford Edge and GMC Acadia. Both can be had with AWD, V6s and 6 spd autos. The GMC (along with Saturn Outlook) will have seating for 7 and feature HUDs, panoramic sunroof, Nav etc...
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Good response but NONE of the crossover SUV's offer the fuel economy and the cargo space of the Sienna.
    CONGRATULATIONS on your BIG snowfall yesterday in Buffalo. ;)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm going to agree that Honda has been very, very good about good faith repairs. There was no paperwork for me at all- unless you count the rental car documents and the standard service invoice.

And regarding AWD minivans, Toyota's the only automaker in town now. Although I think if you look hard some GM dealers may still have some left over 2006 AWD Uplanders/Montanas/Terrazas/Relays. I haven't seen many built with AWD though...
  • edgecombedgecomb Member Posts: 6
    Hi - I'm looking for a minivan that I can remove the 2 captain chairs that would be in the 2nd row and then take the 3rd row bench and put it in the 2nd row. I'd like all three young children in the second row within reach and next to each other for maybe another year or so but then I'd like to have the option of having the nice seperate captain chairs for when they are a little older. Anyone know of any minivans that can do - we're looking for something used? Thanks so much!
    I'm not sure you can do that in any van... you're best choice might be an 8 passenger Sienna, or the Odyssey (it has 3-place seating in the second row which is handy for small kids, but over 7 years old, you'll want one in the third row.
    I don't think there are any newer minivans that can do this. One of my mothers previous Caravans could (1996 model IIRC) and that's what she did for maximum cargo capacity and five-passenger seating. Her newer Caravan has the folding 3rd row which can't be moved, which is how nearly all are made these days.

As mentioned in an above post, the 8 passenger Odyssey and Sienna are the only two I know of that already have seating for 3 in the 2nd row. I'd say the Sienna is more comfortable, but for kids it may not matter too much. When I was shopping, the 8-passenger Sienna was a fairly stripped down model. We went with the Ody EX-L mainly because of the 8 passenger seating. The middle 2nd row seat can be removed from the Ody whenever you're done with it. I'm not sure how the Sienna 2nd row works.
    As far as I know, none of the current editions on the market can move the 3rd row bench to the 2nd row. I'm not sure how old you'll need to go to find something that can do this.

The current Odyssey and Sienna offer models with 3 across seating in the 2nd row.

In the Sienna, the 3 seats are essentially the same size and do not incorporate armrests. The middle seat in the second row can be positioned several inches further forward (so it can be easily reached by the front seat passenger). The middle seat can removed, but the resulting 2 seats aren't really captains chairs.

In the Ody, the two outer seats ARE full captains chairs and the center seat is much smaller. However, with the armrests folded up, seat comfort in the center +1 seat is actually not nearly as bad as it may look and should be more than adequate for small children. You may want to try it with the kids involved to see how well it works for your situation.
    In the Ody, the two outer seats ARE full captains chairs and the center seat is much smaller. However, with the armrests folded up, seat comfort in the center +1 seat is actually not nearly as bad as it may look and should be more than adequate for small children. You may want to try it with the kids involved to see how well it works for your situation.

Yes, and considering you only want to do this for about a year or less, it might be the best option!
    The Caravan and Grand Caravan Sport 2001 through 2004 have 2nd row captain chairs. Some had one piece 3rd row bench seat and some had the optional 50/50 split bench fold and tumble 3rd row seats that could be moved forward to put where the 2nd row bucket seats were after the 2nd row bucket (captain) seats were removed. The Sport was also offered as the eL and eX in 2002 and 2003.
    The 2001 - 2004 T&C LX (with eL or eX option also) is a clone of the Grand Caravan.
    The early 2005 Grand Caravan SE did NOT have the "Stow 'N Go" 3rd row seat and those model 3rd row seat could be moved forward to the 2nd row position when 2nd row bench or 2 bucket seats were removed.
    The 2005 - 2007 Caravan SXT still has the capability of moving the 3rd row 3 passenger seat (or 50/50 split 3rd row seats) forward when the middle row captain chairs have been removed.

It is true the 2005-2007 Ody EX have seating for 8 since there is a nice, padded, removeable middle arm rest between the outer middle row captain's chairs where the 3rd person can sit in the middle row. The middle position is more comfortable than the rear seat in almost any sedan.

With the 2004-2006 Sienna 8 passenger CE or LE, the 2nd row has 3 seats in the middle row but there are NO armrests for any of the 3 passengers in the middle row.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have an 01 DGC EX with 2nd row captain chairs and the 50/50 3rd row bench. We have taken out the 2nd row captain chairs once and moved the 50/50 3rd row bench to the second row with know problem. It worked great for us and had a lot of room in the cargo area. The only draw back to this, if you don't have a place to store the 2nd row captain chairs, is you can only tumble and lock one of the seats in place in the third row. The other will have to sit there tumbled forward, but not locked in place. If you do go with a DGC or T&C, make sure it has 2nd row captain chairs and the 50/50 3rd row bench. These are a lot lighter to remove and lift out of the van. (I've heard it is a pain and takes two people to remove the solid bench seats.) :shades:
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    As mentioned the older Caravans could do this.

Depending on the age of your children, some people put one in the front seat, as long as you have the appropriate airbag technology.
    We are looking at a used Odyssey or Sienna, some of these have side air bags some don't. Our children are 5, 3 and a newborn. Are these safe for children - this is a big concern of ours - should we get one with or without the side airbags? Also, do you know what year they started putting these in for the Odyssey or Sienna?
    We're shopping for a used Odyssey in the year range 2001 - 2004. Can you tell me did they change anything at all during these years, anything bad about 2001 vs. 2004. Any engine changes, did they put side airbags in different years, anything you know would be helpful. Thanks.