Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Rear wiper.....automatically goes to full from interval when the van is put into reverse. Single most compelling reason I can think of to buy a vehicle.

Oh yeah, and break-away cupholders on the 2nd row seats. When I saw those baby's demonstrated by the salesdude, I WAS SOLD. He kept going on and on about the benefits of the Vehicle Stability Control and the Curtain Airbags (blah blah blah yada yada yada), but I finally had to stop him and say, "You had me at the cupholders...."
    "Sorry rorr, I was just about to tell you where we can get the energy to generate the hydrogen...but we have to move on."

C'mon dude, I've been playing over in the hydrogen fuel cell thread for a day now. Steve posted the link for you. I'm still waiting to find out where we're gonna get the energy to generate the hydrogen.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    2001 DGC

Man I have a lot, but I would have to say styling (aluminum wheels, wedge shape appearance, window tint, front grill, head and tail lights)
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    2005 Hondy Ody

Definitely the driving experience. Really does feel more like a car than I ever expected a minivan to feel. And the engine runs smoooooooth.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Hate to break the string of PICK ONE!!!!, but this might help you decide. Go to www.iihs.org and look it over. I haven't digested it all yet, but it should make people think. This info is also in today's New York Times. The ODY was best in class.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I guess this is another story about it, but it has the Villager listed? Lots to digest. :)

Driver Death Rates: 3/1/5/05 (NBC4)

Steve, Host
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    Unfortunately, it's hard to separate the reasons behind why some vehicles are more fatal to the driver than the next. I'm just wondering if camaros and firebirds are inherently that unsafe or (more likely) cheap, high power cars attract people who are more likely and more able to put themselves in situations leading to their death.

Statistics are nice but keep in mind, 87.3% of all statistics are baloney. Or more accurately, it's easy to make a study but not easy to make one that accounts for all the variables.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    The interesting thing is the progress across the spectrum of dif makes/models. Look at the previous generation compared to current models. Now think about the near future when all cars have accident avoidance sensors builts in - you go to change lanes, you don't see the car in your blind spot but your car does!!! Technology is great!!!
  • neworleansdishneworleansdish Member Posts: 1
    We are going to buy a minivan in the next few weeks and have narrowed our search to the MPV and Odyssey. Any advice on the two? I'm looking for real help and not just rah-rah boosterism! Thanks so much. (By the way, we're not considering the Sienna, because my husband's legs were too long for the driver's seat!)
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I have a feeling this is going to be fairly one-sided, so I'll start with a big thing: the MPV does not offer stability control, which IMO is close to essential in 2005. The Ody is more feature-laden in general, but this one matters. I also dislike the shifter on the steering column where it obscures part of the dash, although that's obviously less important. But I can say a couple of things on behalf of the MPV--if you really want a smaller van, it's the alternative. I think you'll get better MPG, and, if $$$ are an issue, you can probably -get into- an MPV for less with the rebates, though if you sell it without driving it into the ground, the Honda will retain considerably more value. Very subjectively, I also think the MPV is the best looking van FWIW, but I really think -initial- cost and size for someone who wants a small van are the major MPV benefits.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    It depends on what you want and are looking for in a minivan...as well as how much you are wanting to spend. The MPV will save you close to 6 thousand over a similarlly equipped Ody.You can easily get the MPV at invoice minus rebate. You want a bigger van with more elbow room, better resale if not keeping it long....go Ody. Ody has stability control...which really shouldn't come into play if you drive halfway sensibly... comes standard on Ody .Both handle well, though smaller MPV is easier to manuver and park...fits better inside garage.Ride is softer in Ody, though noise a bit more pronounced.I like them MPV styling the most...2005 Ody borrowed many exterior features from MPV...so it does look a lot nicer than the earlier models. Fit, finish and overall quality of both are excellent. From what I've read Ody's going for MSRP to around $700 over invoice depending on what part of country you are living in.Mazda has one extra year of warranty coverage...bumper to bumper. Mazda has the better advertising slogan in my opinion..."ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM" sung to a Jamican tune.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • etaeta Member Posts: 33
    Good summary although I don't agree with the "[VSC] ... shouldn't come into play if you drive halfway sensibly" comment.

Sure, you can greatly reduce the odds of an accident / evasive steering situation by driving sensibly but you can't control what other people do.

I've never caused an accident myself and I've probably avoided a number of bad situations because of defensive driving. But, I've still been in 2 (relatively minor) accidents which were caused by other people and 1 serious one (I was a passenger in a Golf where the driver overcorrected after going onto the shoulder and ended up rolling the car about 5x at about 80 mph).

I've also had numerous occasions where something has fallen off of a truck in front of me, or I rounded a corner to find my lane half blocked by a huge piece of tire or a traffic cone that someone driving a rented Ryder truck knocked over etc. :).

The recent concensus seems to indicate that VSC could end up saving almost as many lives as seatbelts (I guess you could just as easily have also applied the above comment to seatbelts or airbags).

And, there are reports that VSC helps with cornering in snow -- its a lot harder to spin out apparently.

Just my .02 :).

ETA
    Oh, I would definitely get VSC on my next vehicle. It is good insurance. I would like to know more about how it was field tested if anyone out there knows of any good web sites.
    Also, might VSC be the cause of an accident if it doesn't allow enough correction to evade a truck tire or similar object in the road. Seatbelts and airbags are not like VSC.VSC is suppose to prevent the accidents that you would have needed the seatbelt and airbag for.And, is VSC suppose to prevent rollover at any speed? It would seem that at 80mph any vehicle would roll.Speed(to much of it)is a factor in the majority of accidents.I think the vast majority of time VSC would come into play when the driver is going to fast for road conditions and takes a turn to quickly. I do hope it is as good as advertised.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • etaeta Member Posts: 33
    > And, is VSC suppose to prevent rollover at any speed? It would seem that at 80mph any vehicle would roll.

Agreed -- VSC can only do so much.

I suspect VSC *might* have prevented the rollover that I was involved in because it would have prevented the series of overcorrections which led to the car swerving and ultimately flipping over.

But, as you say, if you head into a hairpin turn at 70mph, basic physics is going to take over at that point.

ETA
    Stability Control, are you ready for it? may have some field reports. I remember reading about one owner's experience about six months ago in the XC 90 discussion, but that's the only one here I can recall off-hand.

Steve, Host
    I say if you're going to buy a "MINI"Van....get a big one!!!! I always had short wheelbase Caravans for company cars from work, but the added space for the Ody or Sienna or Domestics is great for homedepot runs, camping, hauling!!!
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Question. We don't have VSC on any of our vechicles. My Wife has been hit from behind in our car twice and I have hit someone from behind twice on wet roads. How would VSC have prevented these kind of accidents. (Let me add that the cars that I had the accidents in were older cars that didn't have ABS or Electronic Brake Distribution.) I think the technology is great, but I have a problem with cars driving themselves. (I like to be in control) I have avoided many of accidents with defensive driving and being watchful of other drivers and anticipate their move. Most of the time for me I have avoided accidents buy applying the brakes.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    We (4) have a 2nd house in South Florida and want to keep an economic, reliable vehicle there at all times. Since we will have visitors who will fly, we will need to drive them about to dinner and the airport.

We first thought of an Accord/Camry due to their value, relative space and no fuss reliability. We need more seats however for the above visitor scenario.

I do not want to spend more than I have too. AWD is not necessary. A 'stripper' is fine since the vehicle will not be in use for more than 8 to 12 weeks a year for the next couple of years.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    don't know what u want to spend, but i would try for a new base Dodge Caravan, advertised in south florida for $13,995 or maybe $13,995, don't remember which price i saw, plus tax, no trade, dont let them try to sell u a bunch of unneeded things, like extended warranty, etc., base van holds 7 passengers and luggage in back, has air, automatic, ps, pb, stereo cassette radio, very reliable, good gas mileage, i am not a salesman, did this myself a few years back, 1999, used for 5 years, and still sold it for just under half price of new, pretty cheap i thought, area i vacation in is miramar fl., i think maroone is local chrysler dealer there, plus others and they all advertise a base price van in miami herald every day or week,
    Good suggestion Greener1.

I've had 3 base Caravans since 1996 as company cars...never a single problem and ran up about 80k miles on each one before getting the next.

I have a 2005 GC SXT with "Stow 'n Go' now as my personal vehicle and very happy with it.

With all the rebates, financing etc...they're hard to beat.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Just remember the base Caravan SE has a 4 cyl engine and not much more luggage space behind 3rd row than a KIA Sedona but will burn much less fuel than the Sedona.
    Dodge uses the base Caravan SE as a price leader to get people in the door. Most switch to either a Caravan SXT that is much nicer or a Grand Caravan to get more leg room for 2nd and 3rd row passengers plus more luggage space.
    Most Americans will not buy something that is cheaper than their neighbor's vehicle which is the main reason the base Caravan SE and KIA Sedona do not sell in much higher numbers.
    Great suggestions and feedback everyone. We go to the Bonita Springs area so I will check into Maroone. I am a bit leery about chrysler and their quality rep though.

I checked the invoice on a 2005 Dodge and they are listed as 17,250!
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    the couple were looking for something reliable and economical, these base vans are a 4 cyl. with the SAME horsepower as the 6 cyl. 3.3 engine, the only differnece is in torque, if u haul a boat, etc., u might notice it a little bit, i have driven my 1999 4 cyl base a lot of miles with no problems, in fact one does not even know there is a 4 cyl in there, very responsive, easy to pass, etc., as i said earlier, for the dollar one cannot beat the reliability and cost of the base van IF they are looking for something reasonable, and a couple miles per gallon more than the 3.3, with gas at the price it is now, if one wants to show off a little, get the DC limited at TWICE the price new, and worth almost the same at the end of 6-7 years
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    But Steve....I dont see the Oddly Van on this list?

Top minivans

Minivans that received top rating in federal crash tests:
    1. Nissan Quest
    2. Dodge Grand Caravan
    3. Kia Sedona
    4. Mazda MPV
    5. Chrysler Town & Country*
    *Long-wheel base model
    Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Must be a conspiracy!

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    It's there. I think you must still be looking at the other article I posted in the Sedona, Quest and MPV boards, which just talked about the latest round of crash tests.

Steve, Host
    Probably just too new, and will be tested soon
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I agree that if it is going to be used as "vacation home" vehicle, the 4 cyl. base Caravan would be an excellent choice. That being said, you can't compare the 180 HP 3.3 to the 150 HP 2.4, except that the gas milage is almost identical.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    With a vehicle that you are only going to use 8-12 weeks of the year, I would think a late model used minivan would make much more economic sense.

Your biggest problem with a vehicle that is going to have little use is will be keeping the battery charged, and your reliability issues will likely stem more from the vehicle sitting unused for long periods, not the brand of vehicle.

Actually when you look at the economics of it, you might be better off renting a vehicle every time you need it. Then no annual insurance payments, no annual license fees, etc, and the maintenance issues are gone as well.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    excellent points badgerfan! You score big!... at least someone here is trying to save a little bit of cashola!! :)
    Good point!

A Dodge Caravan (6 cylinder) picked up and dropped off at the airport from Enterprise for one week is $320 (just checked on-line). *update* after April the price goes to $496/wk through December 05.**

If it was used for 12 weeks and worst senerio with no coupons/deals thats $3840/yr. No maintainence and I think my AMEX card covers rental insurance. Drop off and pick up at the Fort Myers airport is a nice convience too (included in above price).

If I did that for four years however I could nearly buy one? Certainly a used one. Availability of a Minivan every time may be an issue too from the rental company.

(I use a cigarette lighter trickler charger now for my Boxster-S during the winter months and it works great for the battery.)
    Honest, the Odyssey (with SAB) is on the chart. All 5 stars, except the rollover (4), and the driver's side door came open during the test, so the 5 star rating got an asterisk.

Steve, Host
    List ONE feature/thing that really drives you crazy about your Minivan. AND NO wimpy "My minivan is soo perfect, it drives me nuts finding any faults" responses. No minivan is perfect....I can go to any of the chat forums and find many complaints.

2005 DC SXT - Why in the @&#%^!@ aren't all the window switches lighted? DCX went thru the effort (designing a special switch and running power to it) to put an LED for the driver's window but NOT the rest of them?????
    Just ONE feature? I've got two items regarding our new Odyssey EX-L:

1. I can understand the need for the lazy susan to not spin when the lid is closed (contents need to be secure while vehicle is in motion). And when you open up the BIG lid from the 2nd row area, then the lazy susan is unlocked and can turn freely. BUT, when you open up the little hatch in the big lid (accessed from the front row area), the lazy susan is NOT free to turn. If whatever it is you are hunting for through the little hatch is not immediately under your hand, you're out of luck. Design screwup IMO.

2. There is a plastic cover over the guide rail for the 2nd row passenger seat (the guide rail which the seat slides on to go from the right hand to the center position). The plastic cover must be removed before the seat can be slid over. Okay, fine. But the plastic cover can't be removed unless the seat is first LIFTED UP COMPLETELY OFF of the guide rail. So to move the seat, one must first lift it completely up, remove the plastic cover, put the seat back down on the guide rail, and THEN slide it over. Needless to say, I think the plastic cover when find a new home in the trash can if I have to move the seat with any regularity.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Why not start a new discussion for this conversation? It's not really about minivan shopping, but more like, "what I don't like about my minivan."

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The unlit switches are also my biggest gripe with my 04 T&C. Seems almost everything on the left hand side of the steering wheel is unlit
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Just read the Edmund's preview of the 2006 Sedona which is lighter, more powerful, and even the base LX comes standard with tri-zone climate control.
    To get tri-zone climate control in a Sienna, one has to pay well over $30,000.
  • albany_shopperalbany_shopper Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone explain why the 2005 Sienna has a 4 star front driver side crash rating while the 2004 Sienna has a 5 star rating for the same:

Head Injury Criterion: 473 (2005) vs. 370 (2005).
    Chest Deceleration 45 (2005) vs. 39 (2005)
    Femur Load 829/774 (2005) vs. 635/890 (2004)
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You might want to re-post your question in the main Toyota Sienna discussion where the Sienna crowd and enthusiasts gather and talk.
  • daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    Maybe the chrysler 300C would fall into that category....Mazda 3's are holding up fairly decent as well...
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I agree it looks like a winner--tempting. It also looks more than a little like the Ody on the outside and the Sienna on the inside. Borrow from the best.
  • mercuriamercuria Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my mom is considering leasing a van or a mini-van, and needs a vehicle that will be easy for her to get in and out of. She is a big woman who has crippling arthritis. Do any car manufacturers still make swivel seats for passengers? Thanks for your help!
  • ronnycronnyc Member Posts: 33
    I've been looking at both SUVs and Minivans. I'm a photographer and travel with an assistant, dog, survival gear, luggage and camera equipment (and of course, would use the car for regular daily living things, as well, but I live in Manhattan, soo.....). Currently have a RAV4, but it's too small. Question: In a Sienna (or other mid-sized mini), would I have problems say travelling several 1000 miles, like from NYC to North Dakota, Badlands, etc., or up to Acadia in Maine? What about back country roads? That cargo space looks great, but do I need a more rugged car? THANKS!!!!
    RON
    I have a friend with a similar situation. He, his wife (aka assistant) and dog, and all the camping and camera gear travel from the Southwest to Alaska and back twice a year. They use a big diesel pickup with a camper shell on the back. They have econoboxes parked at both ends for town driving.

For backcountry roads, it's nice to have a bit of ground clearance, and minivans aren't too great in that department. The truck isn't all that comfortable though.

Steve, Host
  • yaskyyasky Member Posts: 9
    Considering the EX-L with NAV/RES. Has anyone installed 3 car seats in the 2nd row? Thoughts are that frees up the 3rd row to fold down. Consumer Reports indicated that it was unsafe to put an infant/child seat in the middle Magic seat position. The anchors aren't available in the middle, but not sure if any care has that functionality. Thanks
  • ronnycronnyc Member Posts: 33
    For me, I don't envision camping out. If I did go camping, I might go the RV route or something quite a bit larger than a car. My question was: apart from off-road, can the Sienna handle backcountry roads, dirt roads, etc.?
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Hi all,

I have an 04 Subaru Outback wagon that I am very unhappy with that I'm considering getting rid of. I need something else of appropriate size that will haul me, my 70-lb German Shepherd, 6"2 boyfriend, and gear around. I also enjoy road biking, and want a vehicle that I can put the bike completely inside.

There aren't many other wagon choices that appeal to me and SUV prices are crazy, not to mention the poor gas mileage factor. I'm beginning to wonder fi a mini-van wouldn't be a smart choice for me.

I don't really need (or even want) the third seat option as that's where the German Shepherd will ride. Also, I would like to stick with a 6-cylinder engine, since my 4-cylinder wagon is woefully underpowered. Finally, I commute to work every day, and am looking for decent gas mileage. What do y'all feel would be a good minivan for me? I keep reading that the Mazda MPV is one of the smallest mini-vans, and small suits my purposes just fine. Which other minis are fairly small?

Thanks! Charlotte
    The Mazda is a fine choice but don't cut yourself short with a small minivan. The additional length makes a huge difference in space with little effect on gas mileage. Get one of the longer Minivans!!!! you won't regret it!

BTW - most minivan 3rd row seats now fold into the floor, so your dog will have plenty of space. My Chow and Pitt share the 3rd row seat - i leave it up but fold the 2nd row into the floor (Chrysler/Dodge with Stow 'n Go seating).
    The dodge caravan is another smaller minivan. It does come in a 6 cyl. You can probably get a fairly well loaded Mazda MPV or Dodge Caravan for around $18,000. A larger Kia Sedona for same price.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Is that 18K figure for a new one? I was thinking I would have to go the used route, but prices on used 03 and 04 aren't really all that much lower than new if that's the case.