Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Steamy Windows: Help! Too much moisture in my car

daryl_bmw2002daryl_bmw2002 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in BMW
I recently had to move into my new house over the holidays and it rained continuously. As a result, I got a lot of water in the car...on the floor, doors and seats. Now, the inside of the windows are constantly steamed up from all the moisture. I've tried airing it out, but it doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone know of any products I can use to suck the moisture out of the car? The floor and seats are wet to the touch so it's hard to soak it up with towels. I'm trying to find some sort of anti-humectant...chemical or otherwise.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    See if you can keep it in your mechanic's a warm garage overnight for a few days with the windows down. You quite honestly need some honest warmth to dry everything out.

If you can't do that a fan blowing over the surface also helps dry things. They always use fans in flooded basements to dry out the carpets, even in winter.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could also buy a drying material that is sold for boats. It is usually placed in a small plastic cannister...it's some kind of silicate powder, and it can grab lots of moisture out of the air. It's not expensive, maybe $10 bucks for everything and then a few dollars to replace the powder once it is used up. That'll do it but it will take a few days.
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Try sticking an electric dehumidifier in the car for a day or so! My friend left his sunroof open in the winter, and it snowed all night, there was a half inch of standing water on te floor when it melted that morning before he left for the day!! He put the dehumidifier in the back and closed all the doors and windows. He left it in there for 12 hours and all was fine after that. He has a Bravada so it was easy to put the thing in there. It should fit in the back seat on the floor of most cars if the front seat is pulled all the way up. If you don't own one you can rent them from places like Home Depot, or check the yellow pages under equipment rental. Let us know what you do to get rid of the moisture, and what worked best.
  • Options
    daryl_bmw2002daryl_bmw2002 Member Posts: 2
    I really appreciate the responses here. I am going to start with the drying material used in boats first and then move on to the other options. It's the rainy season in San Francisco so it won't be hot and dry out anytime soon. I'll let you know what works best when it's done.
  • Options
    fivespeedfivespeed Member Posts: 42
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Could you get one of those small electric heater fans, and leave it running inside overnight with a window cracked slightly open? If it's just damp inside circulating warm air ought to help.

Nice way to welcome your 2002 to 2002!

dave
  • Options
    paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    If your car has air conditioning, you may try turning your a/c on with the heater . This will put warm dry air into the vehicle .The dry air will naturally pick up the moisture and this will condense on the a/c evaporator , when the compressor cycles off the "frost" on the evap. will melt and drain outside of vehicle. Your automotive a/c is a very effective dehumidifier.
This discussion has been closed.