Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Solstice

Comments

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I don't think the coupe got past the concept stage, and they did say the convertible would come in at just under $20k.

Interesting to see how all the hype has died down. GM does this often... publicizing a new car long before its out, too long for the hype to live. Compare this to the Acura RL thread which was hyperactive through the release of the car...

(The Cobalt SS could've come out with a bang too, but no...)
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I personally would love to see this car come out with a light thud rather than a loud bang! :)

Then I wouldn't have to wait as long to take one for a drive and decide if a new Solstice is a better way to spend $25k, or if getting a hard-top used SLK makes more sense.

I think it looks lovely...but I will never pay a premium to buy a "hot" car in the new market...so, let the crowds be wowed somewhere else...until they start seeing them on the road. :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    fairly hot product so I jumped over here and pored through all of the posts. To me it is evident that GM has a lot of work to do drumming up interest in this car. This is only post #157 and this thread has been around for almost three years. I guess it takes people a while to get the news, too.

Anyhoo, this car looks so hot. Examine it from every angle and it doesn't disappoint. For me it probably wouldn't work because there's no place for my two Pomeranians. But adding it as my midlife crisis vehicle along with the Sportage 4x4 looms as a tasty carrot that indeed will be hard to catch. They've done it right on this car, right down to that little swirl-hole cutout on the side by the wheelwell. I think this is what manufacturers such as GM need to do. Harkens to mind Mitsubishi with their '06 Eclipse-stick to the unconventional guns and make it different looking and quirky, if need be. Driving excitement? This one does it-the new Holden GM GTO doesn't quite reach that goal IMHO.

As far as the Ecotec 2.4L DOHC I4, that should be plenty ample for this rig. I love the 5-speed setup so I'm down wid it for this one. Go back and read all of the links in this thread. Everything is discussed in detail. It's inception and design process is brought out and hashed through at length. If you haven't already, that is. It shows that GM still has a very valid pulse going there. Gonna be a ball to track this new pup!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I've now found that site and bookmarked it for future reference! That looks like one where you can literally get lost in all the posts on this handsome new roadster from Pontiac. BTW-the removable-hardtop version of this car is being talked about for introduction later in 2005 or in 2006 sometime.

• montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Thanks for the post, I never would have thought to look on the "www" for a "solstice forum". ;-)

In case Edmunds deletes your post, for posting a link to another site with discussion forums. ;-)

Thanks again.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    The solstice site only has about 600-700 Solstice-related posts....
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I saw on another site that production will start in a matter of weeks for an early summer release, People may want to go pre-order soon.
    While dealers may be making a list, they mayhave to wait until the dealers are informed by Pontiac what the order procedure is. As off now, the dealers are totally in the dark, based on posts in other places. I had hoped GM would release info to the public at the Detroit Auto Show. Looks like Chicago in February could be the Solstice's coming out party. Then Pontiac should give the dealers the order info. Then it will be only seconds before dealers post info here and elsewhere on the web.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Fortunately I have some time before I would need to get a Solstice. But I'm still very intrigued by this vehicle. Of course on days like today where it's snowing out, the thought of a Solstice is a little dimmer.

I wonder how the crash ratings for a small car like this will be? How do the S2000 and Miatas perform in testing?
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    Im 16 and next year I will be looking for a car. It has too cost under 20K, this car caught my eye i read it might be under 20K, is it going be?
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    So far, GM insists that a base Solstice will come in under 20k. The base sounds as though it will be fairly well equipped.

If you are going to get a sports car as your first set of wheels at 16, I would suggest you practice a lot of side roads and tracks before hitting the busy streets.

My brother let me drive his Nova SS shortly after I got my license. I hit the gas merging into traffic in that thing and almost lost it in a spin out. Fortunately the cars on the main road were able to swerve and avoid me.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The Solstice will be anything but well-equipped for sub-20k models. No power windows, A/C, floor mats, ABS. They might have to cut out the radio too; we'll see in a few months.
    There will be a radio but it will likely be a basic CD 4 speaker system.
  • maxbmaxb Member Posts: 1
    GM posted pricing info today on their blog http://fastlane.gmblogs.com

Not much detail but the price is below 20k.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Anyone see differences besides style of the Pontiac vs the Saturn Sky which will be based on the same chassis and engine?

Wonder what the pricing will be for Sky?

D
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Probably more, as it is supposed to be a little further upstream. I really wish that Pontiac would have had a more normal grille for the Solstice. The one that they put on looks like it's falling off. Other than that, it looks funky.
    Great news on pricing. Hopefully it will carry over to about C$26-27,000 up here.

I just love this car. A poor man's Corvette with a drop top. 18" wheels, nice!!!
    standard. Also, Saturn brass hinted the suspension will be oriented more toward an older market, while still being sporty. In other words, stiff, but your fillings will not be at risk on rough pavement.

If I buy, I am going to opt for as tight a suspension as offered. But I will be mindful those 18" wheels are not going to be all that forgiving.
    Saturn is suppose to be notched in above Chevy and Pontiac going forward with Aura and SKY ++ so SKY is going be more expensive. You will probably see more standard content than in a base Solstice though.
  • christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
    Hey guy, keep driving your '99 Protege for about 8-12 more weeks. Then plunk your money down on one these "hand built" Solstices. This car will be realtively "bug free". GM has done and is doing a multitude of road tests. I am a vendor to the Wilmington, DE plant where GM is making this car. There is an incredable attention to detail(fit and finish,etc.) This car is really hand made one at a time. The engine/trans are ones that GM has used in the heavier Z24 Cavalier models since 1996. GM has tweaked the engine/trans and ride(indepedent rear 4 wheel disk w/ABS) to 2005 standards for the Solstice launch. You would tire of the Miata in a month or two. Plus its a tired old body style!
    For under 20K go and get one. You are the target demographic that GM is going after. If you wait for the turbocharged versions in '06 the pricing will easily top 20+K. Good Luck.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Some may say the front end copied the BMW Z4 but the Pontiac Solstice came out first as a concept at the 2002 Detroit auto show in January which was several months before the Z4 was shown.

• surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    The car that I saw at the auto show had a great sport performance look. Then I looked at the back end and saw the dinky little single exhaust. That did it for me as my first and probably accurate impression is that here is a car that is all hat and no cowboy.

Why would GM do that to a car that is supposed to look sporty and appeal to youth? How much more would it have cost to put on a split exhaust to make the package (and perception) complete?

I do wonder about GM and many of the models they are bringing out. Supposedly they stopped production on the Camaro to bring out the SSR as one bad example. Jeez I've yet to see one of those overpriced retro looking things on the street. My own opinion (as one of the target audience) is that the retro look is dead.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Isn't this thing getting the Ecotec 4?

An inline four with dual tips? That would be more show than go IMO. Perhaps a it's a good indicator that the car will actually have it where it counts, instead of just the "boost by Folgers" look the tuner world has created...
    ;-)
    line two ways on the way back of the Tiburon to make it "look" like dual exhaust. It worked IMO, it looks better than a single-tipped exhaust would on the handcome shark-ster.

But that's a good example of what I mean ILMS. They spent some $ on a needless cosmetic while the car (though a vast improvement over the previous gen) remains kind of a non-competitor for enthusiasts.

Hopefully, on the Solstice, rather than wasting cash on visuals that do nothing, they'll spend it on engine bay goodies.

Hopefully.
    What does your visual impression do with these figures:

177 hp.

166 lbs torque

50/50 weight distribution?

Sounds more likely you can't see the cowboy because he isn't wearing the hat.
    What's it weigh, logic?
    in here before, but here ya go again. It'll take ya a spell to read but it's well worth the time to learn about this exciting new roadster. I was quite impressed with GM's Solstice design team's decisions on certain critical Solstice join areas, for example. 20,000 Solstice's a year? That's a starting figure, anyway. Very sweet looking convertible. For $20,000, too.

http://www.ai-online.com/issues/article_detail.asp?id=413

The 2.4L Ecotec 4-cylinder needed to be switched from front to rear drive, for one thing. No engine block modifications were needed! Lots of hydroformed tubes used as well. Here's the horsey-stuff: 170 hp at 6400 rpm, 170 lb.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm's.

It will weigh 2870 lbs.and do 0-60 in 7 seconds.
    With looks like that, too? Gonna be a ball to watch this one develop!

• novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    Pretty good job, that's only 400 lbs more than a Miata.
    Ah well, should make for a couple of fun comparison test drives.

Although they look really nice on the Solstice (I'm sure more design than size), I hope the Miata doesn't come standard with 18's.

Are there any pics with the top up?

Out of curiosity, and please excuse my ignorance but I've never owned a convertible and only ridden in one a couple of times, will the clam shell trunk affect the ability to attach a hardtop? It looks as though the forward end of the trunk forms a flush, seamless seal and I don't see where a hard top could be attached.
    but I think this initial Solstice will be convertible top only. A hardtop Pontiac Solstice is currently being developed. Your eyes were not deceiving you...there is no hardtop hardware on the picture because there is currently no hardtop attachment hardware on board the handsome bugger!

• novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    I understand that it's a cloth-top convertible. I just wanted to see (a) what it would look like with the top up, and (b) see how, if possible, a detachable hard top would fit on there.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    I can't wait for this car but I wonder if we'll see dealers on ebay selling the "right to buy" above MSRP again like when the GTO was anxiously awaited. I sure hope not!!
    If anyone actually pays a premium for this car, they deserve to get reamed, IMO, just like with the GTO, the PT, the XLR, etc.

Actually that's harsh, isn't it? If anyone really loves it so much they're willing to pay extra, love of the Saints go with 'em, I guess.

But the first one that whines about resale values scraping the bottom of the barrel a year or two down the road gets a brass boot to the bollocks! ]-}
    to buy new all the time, consumers sometimes have to learn depreciation facts the hard way-right between the eyes, indeed. If people want to pay above MSRP for the Solstice, they can go ahead and konk themselves out wid it. That's really wanting a car bad! I have a hard time believing that Solstice demand will stay so hard and fast several months after it's introduction, though, eh?

Well, the PT's did.

Not so the GTO and XLR.

Miata did (wow!).

CRX did.

Oddysey did.

Don't know if I have that much faith in today's PMD, though!
  • conejo1conejo1 Member Posts: 5
    I thought many of you might want to know some of this. There will be an early order phase. To be in on this, you will pay MSRP, nothing higher, nothing lower, as stipulated by GM. You can build it any way you want. No factory discounts or otherwise for employees. GM is limiting sales to 1000 total units through this program, refundable deposit if your dealer doesn't get in. If I can be of any assistance to anybody, let me know, and I'll see what I can do, so long as I get to keep my job. This is all current, new info as of today, may possibly change, but I think not. There are a lot of nit-picky details, such as unit limits, and dealer stips, but any of you can be the first one on your block, if you're willing to pay sticker, to get a new 2006 Solstice. Or you can wait a few extra months.
    Pay sticker to be the first one, then above sticker after the 1,000 have been built/sold/delivered.
  • wannasolsticewannasolstice Member Posts: 2
    I went to my dealer today and gave them my check to hold until April 15, when I will be in to order. They do not know options yet, but the 1st 1000 will have a plaque in them, and I will be contacted as information is available.
    This is "driving excitement".
    this is indeed the first GM car I've shown any interest in since Chevy released their Korean-built Aveo hatchback and sedan. The Pontiac Solstice is a great looking car and should show some spunkiness in performance, can't wait until people like you start giving driving reports on them.

What color do you want? Any options for ya?

• danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Initial allocations will be given within the next two weeks.
  • wannasolsticewannasolstice Member Posts: 2
    well, I think I'd like to see either a pearl white with some depth to it, or a deep sapphire blue (not likely). Options - sure - how about a\c. I just found out on the pontiac web site starting price does not include a\c, and living in the south - it's a must. As shown on the site 21,530.
  • jrd1jrd1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, after looking at that dashboard..I'll pass. It appears that who ever designed it comes from the 1984 Buick Century school of design. Ugly! Compared to the NA-NB & NC Miata, it really looks tacky.
    For real?

I love it. Well, OK, maybe "love" is a strong word here, but I don't think it bears any resemblence to much else GM, and that's agreat thing.

Matter of fact, it reminds me just a bit of the 2gen Mitsu Eclipse cockpit, which happens to top my all-time list of favorites. I personally find it very appealing when the center stack is somehow integrated with the instrument cluster. Makes it seem like the driver is the prime focus of the vehicle all the way. The steering wheel could use a touch of work, but overall, looks great to me. First Pontiac I've even considered saying anything nice about 1970!

BTW, vote of thanks to conejo1 for the pertinent info.
    Thank you wale bate. Just trying to help out, and maybe sell one or two in the process. I plan on attending a factory "ride and drive" along with the Torrent in the next couple of months in Detoit. Like many of you, I am more than eager to get into one, and I'm hoping to convince the little woman that "we need one," to help us stay young. I have to wait until around Aug/Sep though. Will have an update then.
  • brood1213brood1213 Member Posts: 27
    ?????
    Picture me this:

August 15th, Houston, TX; 4:15 pm. On your way to Hobby with the Mrs. to catch a short hop to New Orleans for 48 hrs. The temp just hit 105 and it won't be down to 100 until sunset, and the humidity is typical for Houston, say, oh about 100,000,000 percent. You just now jumped on the 45 and everything is sailing along fine for at least 200 yards, when all of a sudden, you're stopped dead behind a mile of backup from a jack-knifed rig that dumped 10 tons of steer manure.

Oh, and the Mrs. just had her hair done.

And all y'all ain't got no A/C.

Go ahead: put the top down. I dare ya!
    ;-)
    Sorry, I see it's a confusing statement, I'll clarify. I sell Pontiacs & GMC's. I am going to a GM show & tell next month for the Solstice and Torrent. My Gen. Mgr. has already planned on the 2 of us going to get pics/specs/etc. I will post my findings as soon as I get a chance.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    You lucky duck.
    As I learn it, I will pass it on. Still no pricing yet. Do have list of colors, std. pontiac/GM color first, then the Solstice order color in (***), as to not confuse anybody...
    Victory Red (Agressive)
    Black (Mysterious)
    Dk Blue Met. (Deep)
    Dk Green Met. (Envious)
    Shadow Gray (like the pictures-Sly,)
    Silver (Cool)

So if you want red, you ask for "Agressive." Even as a salesman, I'm a little skeptical, but it's different.

The 5-speed is the only tranny avail., as well as 4cyl engine..so far

interior color choices..
    ebony (black,) and "steel/sand," as in the photos again. I THINK black cloth is an option. Order codes seem to indicate this.

Lmtd slip diff. is an option (yeah!) as well as OnStar, XM, and all of the std. power buttons. A leather wrapped wheel w/ built in cruise is an option, over std urethane (plastic.) Also, only 18" polished wheels. A/C is an option, and knowing GM, it probably be around $800. One order level, 1SA. But, there are 2 additional options pkgs. Based on current Pontiac packs, this is my guess...please don't hold me to them.

"Driver Convenience,"--usually power pkg (as below,) plus cruise and tilt, and uplevel wheels..not sure about this one yet

"Power" pkg--pwr windows, locks, keyless entry.

Again, hope this helps somebody out. I'm waiting for orders :) Will update upon reciept of new info.
    2006 Solstice Order Bank ... will become available on Thursday, March 10th which will allow dealers to begin inputting Preliminary Solstice Orders. Please keep in mind that Preliminary Orders on the Order Bank will be approved based on dealer allocation and will not necessarily be included in the Solstice Early Order Program as consumer eligibility is required. Solstice Early Order Program rules will be sent to participating dealers by the end of March.

The On-Line Order Guide will become available on Monday, March 14th.