Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Solstice

Comments

• jmoothjmooth Member Posts: 12
    Saw the Solstice on "The Apprentice" last week, and am completely blown away. Problem is, today I drive a Camry with a pair of child seats in the back for my almost-three-years-old twins. Assuming that I can come up with a plan to never actually have to drive both kids (that would be for mom's SUV), two questions arise. First, can I put a child seat in the passenger seat of the Solstice? Second, is that legal in Arizona and would it be considered an acceptable arrangement? Thanks...
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I read recently that the Solstice will be using a passenger sensing system to turn off the passenger air bag if a car seat is installed. I guess it is simular to what is offered in the new Pontiac Vibes and Montana SV6s. So there very well could be a way. But check with your local dealer to confirm.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Great vibe on this car. Hopefully it really will be a bit of a halo for Pontiac. The G6, Vibe and Grand Prix all decent cars.

Amazing that 1000 cars sold in less than an hour. Goes to show, good product at a fair price sells.
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    is everyone here too young to remember the dissaster that was the pontiac fiero?....go ahead and order one of the first thousand so you can get the special sticker or whatever the hell they're putting on it in exchange for you paying sticker price. after you get your 170 hp sports car, i'll race you in my mustang gt to the gm service department every time you need to get it repaired.
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    most of them caught on fire and burnt. Didn't they?

I agree that the solstice is one sweet-looking car and the price is sweet as well. I do think these folks jumping to pay more than MSRP for a car that has no track record yet really need some help. I've had 3 convertibles and may possibly own a solstice at some point, but post-bug season hopefully!!
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    This car is gorgeous! Not a bad line or detail anywhere. The Solstice could easily become an American Mini-type phenomenon (driven by the rich and famous as well as average folks). Looks like GM is getting the engineering right, too, with RWD, decent HP/weight and all the suspension and transmission details....

Cool stuff. Maybe this American company will return to building cars with passion?? Hope this is a grand slam for GM so they'll upgrade the rest of their car line. Nothing like profits to silence the bean counters!
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict flop.....just like every other new gm product in recent years. the fiero looked pretty good when it was released too. i was dumb enough to pony up for a gt fastback. pontiac took it back under the lemon law after its 12th alternator in 2 months. guess i was lucky. i guess the big difference between this one and the fiero is the fiero was kind of fast. this is a chick car.....with very little performance wise going for it.
  • crushercrusher Member Posts: 16
    different at GM and the domestic auto industry as a whole. If Chrysler can design and build the 300C, Ford can redesign and build the Mustang GT....there is no reason on God's green earth that GM cannot duplicate the same success. I think the Solstice/Sky will be the home rums GM despartetely needs. I have been an import buyer for several years, but I willing to take a chance on this vehicle especially for $25K loaded. I
    Actually, I had a 84 Fiero sport and it was perfectly fine. Yes there were some fires, but it was never as wide spread as some people here think. Had a couple of issues with the 4-speed but otherwise I loved it.

That all said, comparing the Fiero to the Solstice is about as big and as silly a stretch as you can get. I guess GM bashers have to grasp on to something for whatever reason.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I really don't think you can compare the Solstice/Sky to the Fiero debacle.

The Fiero had Chevette underpinnings (not something you really wanted to emulate). Not until the very end of the model run did GM finally get it right with a decent suspension and drivetrain. Then, just as the car was getting good, GM in their infinite wisdom, killed it.

Solstice/Sky is being built on a new platform. From all outward appearances, it sounds like it will be a good one, right out of the box. You really don't know about a brand new design until you get them out into the marketplace. One thing's for certain, it will get people into Pontiac showrooms, though. That's something that Pontiac desperately needs.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    In general, the Fiero died as it was not meeting production quotas to keep making money, sales were falling, the reputation damage was already done, insurance for the vehicle had gone up, and the MR2 and others were drawing away what few customers they had who were considering the new ones. Agree the later ones like a '88 GT was a good car. My buddy had a 2m4 which was the 4cyl that had the shallow oil pan that would cause the engine to throw a rod and possibly catch fire. It didn't do that to him but the feel of the car was not anything like a MR2 or Miata. Ahhhh the 80's! What a time!
    how can you not compare the solstice to the fiero? it is the same exact marketing ploy using a very similar product in an attempt to appeal to the exact same demographic. why they just didn't call it a fiero is the real question. i guess because of the negetive conotation associated with the fiero name. i assure you, it will meet with the same result. the first year sales objective will be met. issues will surface. similar, better cars will be made by competitors. sales will decline for the following two years. pontiac will crawl back into its hole. feel free to quote me on this in a couple years. the solstice is not the car that will save general motors. the sooner gm files for bankruptcy, the better. as soon as they do that, they can get out of their union contracts and afford to build high quality carrs at affordable prices that may once again be able to compete on the world market. until then, it will be die hard gm/pontiac fans that will never lose hope. the next world beater car is right around the corner.
  • brood1213brood1213 Member Posts: 27
    Talking about fires What about a Pinto? or the new one of Ford Suv's and trucks catching fire just siting in people's driveway because of the cruise control?

That is only car your Mustang can beat to the service drive is a 4 cylinder because it cannot anything else.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    OK - we have veered off the Soltice enough. No talk of Pinto's or Fiero's. Let's stay on-topic.

Thanks!
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    While comprisons to Fiero are enevitable, on the face of it this vehicle appears to be much better suited for its place in the market than the Fiero, which was a parts bin car. While the Solstice has its share of shared parts, the chassis uses time tested quality design for sports cars - double wishbones, independent rear suspension, ridgid frame structure, etc. Where GM will likely fall short (as always) is interior execution, fit and finish, paint, quality of parts.

I have to dream what a quality car they could make if they didn't have to pay union employees huge salaries for mounting pre-assembed components - a job that only requires a high school education. They also get paid during model change-overs, etc. The union guys I met at a family reunion in MIch were such jerks about their jobs and whining about this and that I almost had to leave. Ok off my soapbox. But when you see them using these cheap parts you can imagine where the $ is going. Management has their share of blame too, unfortunately.

I do think Lutz has the right idea on this one. Don't compromise and keep it simple, light, true. The Ecotech can be hotted up, don't worry about that. If you are a redneck and need a V8 get a GTO.

If I had money coming out my rear end I might have to buy year 2 of one of these, as I still can't belive that GM will get more than 90% right on the first year!

Does look great though....A WOW car = from Pontiac of all brands!

DD
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    The first price gouging jerk is on ebay already trying to get $36K for one of the first 1000. I sure hope the dealers don't ruin the launch of this car with ADM's like they did with the GTO.
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    Watched the hype-up of the Solstice on the "Apprentice" the other night. The pix looked good. What scared me tho was when one of the folks doing the photo shoot slammed the door on the thing and it sounded like the usual GM "junk clunk" just like my last (and only) Camero !! To be fair the car probably is a prototype and not a production piece. However, the dash plaque did say # 1 of 1000. I'll just wait till next year this time before I plunk down any $ on this baby.

Believer
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    It was probably a sound effect...
  • soldupriversoldupriver Member Posts: 2
    WHAT a debacle!!! The GM server was down, didn't accept some zip codes and didn't accept orders in order received. I am really angry. Did everything and got nothing. Biggest dealer in area didn't get any of his 5. Now they announce a base price of $25,695. Bate and switch!!! So many people are really mad, as am I.

Solstice will not be Meauto.
    How is it Bait & Switch? Had Pontiac announced a different price in Canada before this? And if they had, don't manufacturers have the right to raise prices?

http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=37902&pg=1 No mention of a change in price in this story.
    syndrome. I wanted an rx8 and followed the pre-production hype closely. They arrive, they go thru the buy-back thing because of the misrepresented hps on the car, they done updates for the flooding problems...and the some of the folks that got these first cars (and paid way too much) are upset, mad at Mazda and won't ever own another product they make. I bought one last month, paid $21K for a $30K car, and I love. the wait paid off for me in more ways than one!!
    Muffin: That could possibly be the case but as long as they are gonna be phoney about the sound of the door shutting why not use the sound from a Mercedes door. Heck, the door on my little Hyundai Accent sounds better LOL ! What it really sounded like was the clatter, tinkle, tinkle of the door on my 1984 Fiero.

Soldup: That price was probably "as equipped", not base. As recently as yesterday I got more info on the car direct from Pontiac and it still was quoted as $1995. We'll see.

Believer
  • soldupriversoldupriver Member Posts: 2
    I apologize, I thought this was a US site. The US promotion was $19,000 then I when I read the site you mention it seemed like bate and switch. Promise the promotion at one price. . hype it up and then have such a mess-up that many people can't place orders and then raise the price.

"GM announces Solstice pricing
    Two-seater will start at $25,695
    ROBINSON/BEINTEMA

The all-new 2006 Pontiac Solstice two-seat roadster will arrive at dealerships this summer with a base manufacturers suggested retail price of $25,695, excluding applicable taxes and freight charges.

The curvaceous design of the Solstice is matched with impressive performance and a host of standard features, including a 2.4L Ecotec engine, 5-speed manual transmission, 18-inch wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes and much more.

"This thrilling addition to the Pontiac lineup, delivers performance in a fun, agile, affordable roadster," said Donna Martin, Marketing Manager for Small and Sporty Cars. . . ."
    someone has their solstice option listed on e-bay for buy it now for $50,000. do you really think someone will bite? there's another that's bid up to $26,500 and another buy it now for $36,000. I hate to see people pull that stuff!!

I think the solstice is very likely to be on my list of future cars to own, but I'll wait till the furor dies down and you can buy one where they should be.
    Ihess: Well, there is always someone with more money than brains willing to do anything to get attention. Look @ Starbucks. Those fools line up each morning to pay up to $5.00 for a cup of whatever just because they can LOL ! Back when the PT Cruiser mania was in full swing my bro-in-law who is a small used car dealer was buying them @ auction for sticker or less and marking them up 10K from that and sold every one he could lay his hands on. Those poor fools would be upside down forever !

I predict that GM will have incentives on the car before a year is out. Same thing happened when the Crossfire came out. I had a dealer tell me I could not even test drive one without a deposit------------ give me a break. Now you can buy one under invoice.

It will be interesting to see if the GM Card will have rebates on the Solstice from the git-go. They may not. They still do not have any on the Saturn. They did at one time for about a month tho.

Believer
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The Chrysler Crossfire costs a lot more than the 2006 Pontiac Solstice.

The Toyota MR2 will be dropped after the 2005 model year.

The Pontiac Solstice's closest rival is the Mazda Miata which is new for 2006 (now called MX-5 for US).

p.s. I doubt everyone who will buy the new Solstice will buy it just to get attention.
    xkss: Sure they will ! The "first kid on the block" lure is great and these dumbos will pay a extra few grand just to be exclusive. A neighbor of mine payed close to 10K above sticker for a base Xfire, drove it about 9 months or so. He now has a new Toyota hybrid that he got gouged 6K on and already hates the thing.Now he's looking at Vettes. Go figure. One extreme to another. His wife is driving one of those Caddy "truck thingies" too.

Believer
    There is no bigger bang for the buck to get people's attention on the street. The Solstice will get you noticed no matter where you drive it, even Rodeo Drive.
    vanman: No doubt about it the Solstice will be a show stopper for sure. It will take the usual length of time for the novelty to wear off and as production builds and sales lag the incentives are sure to come.

Already 2005 Mustangs are going through the auctions and are popping up on the used lots, virtually brand new. How about a loaded coupe with 500 miles on it for the asking price of $16950 !! I think all the hype on the Mustangs kinda fell flat or it is just a down market generally for the car biz. I did not note any of the "gotta have it now" nonsense on the mustangs either. They were going for under sticker here from the git-go.

Crossfires (base automatic) 2004 with 5000 miles for $19995 ! I wonder how the geeks that paid close to 40K for the same car last year @ intro feel about that ?

When it comes to cars all common sense flys out the window.

Believer
    Mustang is a cheap thrill also, but I think you will get more attention in a Solstice.

Used Crossfires for $20K, wow. I am surprised.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I just read an announcement on Autoweek's website the Solstice will be delayed until September due to "fit" issues . Looks like nothing has changed at GM. The marketing dept. should have kept it's mouth shut until the car was ready.
    van & diesel: The $1995.00 price for a low milage 2004 Xfire in not hard to understand when NEW 2005 base cars can be had for$ 27.648.00 from a dealer in Clearwater , Fla. out the door + T & T.

Ah yes, the fit issue. Brings back old memories of fit issues with my 1984 Fiero. Both doors rubbed the fenders when opening, wore off the paint in the first week. Mine did not burn to the ground as did many others but the tranny leaked like a sieve and was "retrofitted & resealed" three time on recall. They never did get it to stop leaking. Always carried 2 qt. of tranny fluid to top-off once a week. When GM puts out a product like that and now seems to possibly doing it again I bet those "lucky" 1000 folks that have pre-ordered are feeling just a bit ill. I would think to save face that those first 1000 cars should be hand assembled to SHOW QUALITY and shipped in closed vans to each buyers front door. Yeah, right LOL !

Believer
    or whatever it was, to sell 1000 of these things. I think they should give everyone of those 1000 people a chance to cancel now and see how long that takes!!

I drove a new xfire about a year ago and with dealer's bump sticker - $42K. I just thanked them for the test drive and told them I'd wait a couple of years. Glad I did, they don't do much for me now. The little pop-up spoiler seems a little cheesy to me!!
    dieselone,

Pontiac is making sure that they get the car right.

Read this article about the 2006 Pontiac Solstice.

2006 Pontiac Solstice
    Pontiac is making sure that they get the car right.

I agree GM is trying to make sure the car is right.

It would make since to me to make sure the car was right before all of the marketing hoopla. They should have been sure the car was right before taking orders. Now that it has people's attention the delay's do more to hurt GM's image regarding quality. I have a gut feeling the issues are far from over.

It looks to me that 2005 will be another year GM will want to forget. So far they've lost over $1 Billion, they've delayed the Solstice to end of summer, and recalled 2 million vehicles. and we're not even to May yet. What else can go wrong?
  • spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
    This is a brand new car and a brand new design and I'm sure there would be some bugs. Don't you think it is best for Pontiac and GM to get everything right than to release the car and have to have a recall? If they have to recall this car I think it will sink them so I am more than positive they willl make sure they cross their t's and dot their I's. Everything is riding on this car.
    Shouldn't some factual info be taken into consideration, or just what the press and the anaylsts report and think. When GM announced the Solstice would be built, they said production would start the middle of 2005, which would be mid-July 2005. This was in January of 2004. From posts I have read, production may even start earlier then that, in June. In the infomation for the apprentice program, it says the cars will be delivered before October 25th. If this press report is correct, they are in line with that. I am sure GM would have loved to delay Oprah's season premire until December when there were G6s available, or the NCAA March madness final four until June for the G6 coupes and additional sedan models, or even the fourth to last apprentice episode until September when the Solstices were out, but you have to go when your property airs. Based on photos on the internet, I think the apprentice episode was filled in something like February. Most likely before any adjustment issues came up Big plans take big planning, and these appear to be working out, exept for those that just want to find bad in everything GM.
    read in the News tab here at Edmunds that GM may also be facing a lawsuit for impersonating Tom Waits in their Opel ads. Didn't read it in detail and I don't know much about their foreign markets, but the article is over there!!

I agree with some of you that GM absolutely had to delay the Solstice to get things right, but the point that dieselone made is important - MAKE SURE YOU CAN DELIVER THE CAR BEFORE YOU SELL IT!!

These poor 1000 saps who jumped in and bought one are gonna get it just in time to roll it in the garage for the winter!!
    Well, considering that most of the mechanicals in the Solstice (except that Aisin tranny) is old design, off the shelf stuff (thus the $19995) price) that it would be OK already. As to fit and finish, well ,GM has been struggling with that issue for the last 20 years and probably never will match the Japanese, Korean and yes the soon to come Chinese cars too.

My niece by marrage is from China. She works for Delphi and holds MBA as well as a MME degrees. She travels to China for Delphi several times a year and has a finger on the pulse of the budding auto industry there. When I asked her recently about the quality of the products that will soon be coming to the US she said with agreat BIG smile ( in perfect English by the way) "you just watch, they will blow you away in cost, quality and design" May be the only way out for GM in the long run is just let someone else, China, Korea and Japan et al, build ALL their cars for them and just stick a GM badge on 'em, cross their fingers behind their backs and make believe they are really GM products LOL.

Believer
    Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't you want to actually see and test drive a car before plunking down a deposit to purchase. This is not a bash towards the Solstice, it looks to be a very cool car. I wouldn't throw down cash on something I've only seen on TV or in photos.
  • spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
    Beliver...I don't know where you get your information on problems with fit and finish. My sister had 2 Grand Prix's and never had a problem with either one. Fit and finish were perfect. She said they were the best cars she ever had. Why does everyone want to bash GM and Pontiac before even giving the car a chance. There is not another American made roadster that looks this good and is priced as well. Give them a chance and they might surprise you.
    spyder: Well, for everyone that thinks GM's fit & finish is just fine there are a lot of folks out here that have a different opinion. I dont have a complaint on the reliability of GM vehicles as the ones I've had did pretty well. My issue with GM products is their "dime store" quality interiors and indifferent attention to assembly. I have a 2000 GM Sonoma (built in Shrievport) that looks like it was assembled by a highschool shop class ! Not a single panel aligns with it's neighbor. The hood to fender line is 1/8" on one side and for god's sake 3/4" on the other !! Door gaps taper from top to bottom 1/8" @ the top to 5/8" @ the bottom. Squeeks, rattles galore from the third door. Not to mention the el-chepo tailgate support cables that have been recalled twice. Now for a vehicle that had a MSRP of over $20K and does not even have power windows at that price, I'm sorry, but I feel the product is just substandard. When Hyundai can put together a little Accent with PERFECT panel fit and finish, no rattles and very decent interior materials for under $10K then what hope does GM have to ever catch up? Chances are they wont ! Especially since I won't be buying any more GM 'till or if they get their act together which will result in about $150K in lost business over the next 18 months on the next bunch of trucks I buy for my business. They must do better and I hope they will as several of my realitives work for GM / Delphi and their future depends on these guys keeping the jobs here in the USA.

Regards, Believer
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I think every one admits that fit and finish was a bit out of control on the older design vehicles at GM. That 2000 Sonoma was designed about 10 years ago. GM trucks were really bad back then for fit and finish. The plant has not been updated to the latest GM production specs. Please look at the more modern designs and manufacturing coming out. The new Colorado, new LaCrosse and yes the new Solstice. The LaCrosse out of the shoot is probably going to score better than the vehicles it replaced and that means better than the Camry and Accord (Century/Impala/Regal beat them today for Initial Quality at JD Power).
    Again, the press has it wrong. The Solstice has not been delayed. I see reports that it was supposed to come out in early summer. That was never in the plan and GM surely never announced the release date. When did GM announce a delay date anyway? they did not. This is 2nd hand info from "sources".

Also, does it really get that cold out there on the left coast or Texas or down south? That is where most of the convertibles go anyway.
    Base price is still $19,995. perhaps that is canada pricing? who knows.
    As I said before winter does not effect the convertible market in the major open air markets.

As a 2nd point what is wrong with Mazda? they are starting their introduction of the MX5 in October!!! That is 3 months after the first Solstices start hitting the streets!!
    GM never announced a date for the sale of the 2006 Pontiac Solstice.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I do agree that launching a convertible in the fall seems like an ill fated move. It would make a heck of a lot more sense to launch in the spring so the entire country would be more apt to buy.

GM launch the Saab 9-3 convertible in January, if I remember correctly. And now the G6 hardtop will arrive in the first quarter of 06 - that could be good though since it will likely be late and arrive in spring of 06.

As for the Solstice - maybe it is not so bad that it will arrive in late summer. I imagine that a larger percentage of convertible sales are in the south and west where convertibles can be used more days per year. And the Solstice is most likely considered a third vehicle, not a daily driver.
    Yes, it would be best to introduce in the spring but should a convertible be delayed 6 months to hit the right season for the northern states? The Solstice is a go fast program and it started out running from it's approval. Fast as they could make it go. And so what if sales are not blistering at the launch? Cars are seasonal.

But in this case maybe GM got lucky. They already sold out the first 6000 (say 3000 actually buy) or so. Now the plant will be at capacity from the launch thru the winter. Then the normal spring selling season will start and keep it at capacity. What more would they want? Remember this is an ultralow volume segment. Miata only sold 9300 cars last year and MR2 sold 2600.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I never said anything about delaying it 6 months. I did say that it is maybe all right that the Solstice will arrive in late summer.