Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• frozentundrafrozentundra Member Posts: 8
    I am currently looking at buying the Aerio SX. The only other car that comes close in content for the same price is the Kia Spectra5. Apparently, the Kia's are selling so well that the dealer in my area uses the old style pressure tactics without fear of losing customers. At the Kia dealership, I went through the whole "we need your license if you are going to test drive" (sneaky way to run a credit check on me - I actually had to barge into the "business managers" office and demand my license back) and "what will it take to get you to buy one today?". Meanwhile, they were quoting MSRP numbers higher than the Kia Canada website. Needless to say, I am heading back to the Suzuki dealer who treated me with respect and was upfront about all aspects of the vehicle and the financing.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The Verona is the largest car Suzuki sells.

Was very impressed with the SX's upgrades for '05. Hugely improved interior. Was on my short list before purchasing a Malibu Maxx. Daewoos are behind current generation of Hyundai's IMHO and will be badly outgunned when next gen. Hyundai/Kias debut.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    How a dealer could run a credit check with just your license?

Go with the Aerio, very cool car.
    I thought Suzuki actually manufactured the Verona. Who makes it? Daewoo?

I agree with you on the Daewoos. They seem to be where Hyundai was about ten years ago.
    A credit check can be completed with as little as your name and address to go by. (at least here in Canada). With car companies having their own credit arms, they can easily circumvent 'rules' to look us up on Equifax.

I have a friend who is a loans manager in a bank and he can look up my credit anytime with out anything more specific than my drivers license info. No signature required.
    I disagree with the Daewoos - I think they are Hyundai 5 years ago, and already past Kia.
    Why compare the Aerio with the Rio? The Aerio is a better car than anything in the Kia lineup, nevermind the worst new car sold in the US - the Rio. Suzuki doesn't really produce a competitor for the Rio.

The new Spectra is a big improvement over the old, but the terrible crash test scores of the Spectra (a Kia weak point) make it a non-option.
    Didn't mean Aerio, meant Aveo. Sorry... I was trying to run through the Daewoos.

Agree that the Aerio SX is the best thing in Suzuki's stable.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You have seen the new crash test for the Spectra right? Kia ordered a retest after tweaking the driver's airbag and its score improved from poor to acceptable. It's still not the best, but it definitely isn't as terrible as you claim. After my bad Aerio experience and reading some pretty serious mechanical failures that weren't limited to just one car, I'd be willing to gamble on a Spectra way before an Aerio. Suzuki just isn't as well known for quality as other Japanese nameplates and the Koreans have been improving amazingly fast in this regard.
  • stolguystolguy Member Posts: 12
    The first item I have had to address on my 03 aerio was to
    change out the cheap steel clamps retaining the exhaust heat
    shields with stainless. The originals rust and start clattering
    within two years. Every fall I pull the wheels and paint the
    control and steering linkages with linseed oil. A piece of
    chicken wire at the air filter box inlet would be helpful to
    prevent mouse nests. (yes, it happened to me)
    I hadn't seen the new crash test, but I can hardly say I'm impressed by it. An acceptable frontal crash test is still bad compared to the alternatives.

At this point, I wouldn't be willing to gamble on any Kia over an Aerio. I've been to the quote-unquote Aerio style forums, and my impression is of a fairly well made car. Is it top of the line in reliability, probably not. But neither is the Spectra.

I own an Aveo (GMDAT), and I can see the strides Hyundai has made, but Kia is not there yet.
    No offense but your view on Kia is a bit behind the times. Hyundai and Kia are virtual clones of each other so to consider one less reliable then the other doesn't make much sense. Kia pre-2001 was way below Hyundai but once their old models were replaced with Hyundai models, their reliability has shot way up.

By the way, read the Aerio problems forum, you might be shocked to hear some of the problems that have been occuring.
    As long as Kia has the Rio - the worst car in America, and as long as they can't get a decent crash test out of a Spectra, they are behind Hyundai. I don't see a new and improved Kia reflected anywhere except in the occasional owner testimony.

I remember a few years ago, reading about your Hyundai Accent, I almost bought one from listening to you. (not that it is related to Kia or Suzuki)

Is there specifically an Aerio problems forum? I'll have to look at that.
    Visited the Aerio problems forum - yikes - hopefully they've worked out some of those rather significant bugs. What problems did you have?
    in the end I went with a Malibu Maxx, simply because of dealer strength and the troubling nosedive in SX sales, even though the 05 SX is much improved over earlier models IMHO.

I'm averaging at the EPA 22/30 about 2 mpg less than I got with the 5-speed Elantra GLS. Remarkable considering that I have 75% more displacement. The car is no more comfortable than the Elantra-- probably slightly less although there's a ton more backseat room and I love the flexibility.

Both the SX and the Maxx had tons of standard equipment. I really came close to buying the SX, but the idea of having a rather oddball looking car that was standard, plain vanilla underneath was more appealing than buying a rather oddball looking car that has a limited parts and supply chain tipped it for the Maxx. In general, it appears that Maxx owners are having less trouble with their cars than the Aerio owners, although Elantra owners generally seem happier than either.

There certainly seems to be more marketing effort directed at the Daewoos by Suzuki and this also gave me pause.
  • jmdchienjmdchien Member Posts: 11
    You have your point there. I am facing the choice of maxx and sx too. Kind of leaning to sx because it is 100% made in Japan. Still not decide yet. Could you please share with me the price you paid? If you rather do it privately. My email is jmdchien@gmail.com Thanks.
    ---
    James
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    Seems like the Aerio and Malibu Maxx would not be cars that would be cross shopped. I love my Aerio, but just because it's made in Japan doesn't mean the quaility is the be all to end all. Mine 03 SX has more squeaks and rattles then my wifes 10 year old Neon.
    1. Odd-ball but unique looks.
    2. Lots of flexibility-- cargo space.
    3. Better mileage than most with similar size--i.e. an suv.
    4. Huge amounts of kit for the price-- SX with climate control and cd-changer, Maxx with adjustable pedals, semi-power seat, trip computer on base car.

Book was $22K, I paid $16. With a GM card I could have done better.

Only Suzuki I ever owned was a 250 2-stroke in the mid-seventies, fond memories of that one.
  • ca770ca770 Member Posts: 16
    Hi there! I am interested in purchasing a 2005 Aerio SX 5M, what is the best quote everyone got lately? Also I have been looking at a used 2003 SX 5M with 6000 miles, it has all the options except ABS. The dealership is asking $9995 for it, is that a good deal?
    Thanks
    That's a great deal. Buy it. Think of the beer money you'll keep.
    It doesn't need ABS, my 03 stops smooth and quick. Some complain
    about the "soft pedal" but it sure beats those jerky hard pedals.
    This is an all-purpose convenience car not a racer. Mine has the back
    seats permanently folded down. Lots of room for carrying.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I'm a big Suzuki fan.(not Daewoo Suzuki, nothing against Daewoo just think they should be called Daewoo's or Chevy's not Suzuki's) I have read a lot of horror stories about brakes and rattles but the most serious is the 5 speed gearbox problems.. I personally have not had the problems that some have had. Our suzuki has been the most reliable vehicle that I have owned in the last 25 years but is is an automatic. I am not a fan of automatic transmissions. I shift ours manually because it always wants to be in a higher gear as soon as possible. That said in a suzuki I would buy an automatic. They have a horrible track record all over the world for the manual gear box they put in the Aerio/Liana and it's ancestor the Baleno/Esteem. I do not know who supplies it to them but it is a poor design. Failure rate is very high. I know a few people that have Metro/swifts that have manual gear box's and have very high miles with no failures. If you change the fluid every 30000 in automatic it should go the life of the car. Ours has over 250000 miles on it. Offer them 8999 for it. that will pay for part of the gear box when it goes south.
    Thank you so much stolguy and chrisducati for your information. We got it for 9300 (not as good as 8999) but still I think it is a pretty good deal. I am going to take it in for the break noise. Also I just found out the CD player doesn't work, it keeps giving me a ER-3 message, the user manual says "check the disc"??? The break is a little bit soft but it works. Overall, it drives much better than my 98 mustang. we are really happy with it.
    I took my 2003 SX in today, a new CD unit has been ordered. The service guy said that the noise from my break is NORMAL, especially when applying break while in 1st gear and reverse. He said the clunking noise is caused by "the break pad is trying to fall into the calipers". Smeone mentioned that there was a
    bulletin for this problem, I couldn't find it. I need advise!
    There is a bulletin on this brake noise... they have to put clips on the pads. It isn't normal. Check posts # 4 and # 60 in the Aerio problem and solutions section of the forum. :)
    Refers to the Aerio as the Reno, but makes another reference in the copy to the Aerio SX. What's that, a Reno?

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050304.002

I guess if it's Japanese Car Fans, even Korean names become Japanese :confuse:
  • nhardsnhards Member Posts: 1
    Live in the Ottawa Area and I am looking for a set of 14" Rims for my Aerio, nothing to flashy, I just want a nice set of rims for the summer, since I am going to use the factory rims for my winter tires.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I leased a 2000 Focus ZX3. Despite all the callbacks, I loved the car. But I didn't love no power windows and no cruise. So my next car was a 2002 Aerio SX with power windows and cruise for 15k and zero interest.

I've been very satisfied. It's very reliable and practical. Gets high 20s to low 30s on gas mileage. So far, no problems at all other than a few squeaks and a keyless remote that quit working.
    My 2003 Aerio has only 7000 miles, two weeks ago the engine developed a new problem - CHOKING on the first start in the morning. The RPM runs extremly low around 200-300, it feels that there is not enough fuel going into the engine. After choking for 5-10 seconds everything becomes normal. Last Sunday, the engine finally stalled (the "check engine" light did not come on) but started right away on the second attempt. I took it into the dealship twice already and they told me they cannot duplicate the same problem, therefore, there is no problem with the car. What could be the problem? Thanks :sick:
  • evenstevenevensteven Member Posts: 8
    Its probably either your fuel pump or your fuel filter? If not that, then some kind of weird electronic thing.
    Probably your fuel pump. possibly your filter. Or you may have a leak in your fuel system somewhere which causes you to have to low a pressure in your injectors for you car to run properly for a few seconds untill the pump pressurizes it again. Try turning the igniton to the on position without turning it over for about 10 seconds before you start it. Then see if it starts up good.
    Does anyone know if the 2.0L Aerio engine will fit in a Suzuki Esteem? I just bought a 2002 Aerio engine and tranny. I am going to try to stick it in my 99 GLX.
    It will be awsome if it works. The 2.0L looks almost exactly like the 1.8L so I am guessing it will work. I called Suzuki and the could not tell me. I also called the corporate people and they said I would have to call the factory in Japan. If it does fit I will be selling my 1.6L which runs like new with 72,000 miles on it. I had my manual tranmission go out on me. I found out how expensive it was for the transmission and thought (screw it, Ill just get a whole new engine).
    Thank you so much evensteven, I just got my car back today after 4 days in the dealership. They said the engine started normally each time and all of the readings were normal. However, they suggested me to use medium grade gas instead of premium. I did turn the ignition to the on position without turning it over for about 10 seconds before I started it, but it still choked. About losing pressure, the ground effect (long plastic piece) on the passenger side was pulled off in order to do a little bit of body work. In stead of using the factory plastic screw a person in the body shop drilled an inch long metal screw in the rear passenger side near the bottom of the car inorder to secure the ground effect piece. I asked a few people if there is a chance that he pouched a hole in the gas tank or the pressure line. What do you think?
    Hmmm.. Well, I dont think they punched a hole in it or you would probably see gas dripping down. I had a similar problem on my car once and found that it was a leaking injector seal. It only cost $2.00 to fix.
    How can I test to see if it is a leak in the fuel injector?
    Thanks.
  • caquilhacaquilha Member Posts: 1
    I love my lSuzuki Aerio 2003, but the remote control key does not work even after replacing the battery for a new one. Any idea on how to solve the problem?
    You should have been issued two keys by the dealer. Try both of
    them to figure whether its the sender or the car. What to do then?
    -not a clue. 03 SX driver with no probs except some more exhaust
    shield rattling.
  • HankrHankr Member Posts: 100
    Roof Rack
    I don't have the mountain bike add-on (I have the ski rack), but the basic roof rack (Mont Blanc) is easy-on / easy-off and sturdy.

Mileage
    2003 SX 5-Spd; consistantly 30 - 33 MPG. I drive fairly gently, and live in a rural area so spend a lot of time in 4th and 5th gears.

Remote-Keyless
    One of my remotes went, and a new battery did not help. Suzuki replaced it under the 3/36K warranty. Your '03 may still be within warranty.
  • merksmerks Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Hank. I am planning on ordering the roof rack next month. I appreciate your feedback.
    Considering that auto transmissions have improved to the point that they are more
    reliable than standards, why would anyone want to wiggle all those parts around
    to move through traffic? Grow up. I have a 62 beetle (drove it today) and a
    29 Tudor Ford (50 miles since fresh overhaul) but those guys had no alternative.
    Autos are great. Even the hiPo sports cars are better with them now.
    Besides, you don't have to juggle with that cuppa coffee in traffic.
    "Considering that auto transmissions have improved to the point that they are more
    reliable than standards, why would anyone want to wiggle all those parts around
    to move through traffic?"

If you don't get it, you don't get it. (and automatics are _not_ more reliable than manuals)
    It should work. You will need the ECU for the 2.0. The Aerio is an Esteem with a different body on it... Same chassis. The manual gearbox in the Esteem/Aerio is known world wide as a poor unit. Engines how ever are a strong point. Suzuki makes very long life engines. I would buy an automatic if I were buying a Suzuki. And I hate Automatics. Suzuki uses Asian-Warner auto boxes. Which also supplies Toyota. among others. With routine fluid flushes these automatics will last 200+ thousand miles.
  • aeriohawaii1aeriohawaii1 Member Posts: 39
    :D :P ;) How often should the AT be flushed?
  • nicksimonnicksimon Member Posts: 6
    Is this a problematic car? i really need to know if this car is worth buying because my current car is on its way out. i am looking for something new and that gives you a lot for your money. is the aerio a good choice. i am only 20 and have a limited budget. i cant afford to have to repair this thing constantly.
    I honestly wouldn't get one, especially if you are on a budget. Gas mileage is low and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is short. My previous experience with an Aerio SX was poor and didn't lead me to believe it would be troublefree in the long run. Dealers never have parts for the car so its always a waiting game, especially if something breaks and needs repaired under warranty. I personally would direct your attention to the Hyundai Elantra. Better mileage, better warranty, and a very good track record for being solidly built and reliable. Not to mention an excellent value with rebates and high feature content. It's the perfect cheap reliable car for someone on a tight budget. Another good choice would be a Mitsubishi Lancer ES.
    50,000 miles might be a good interval, although this is dependent on
    factors such as hard usage, high air temps, city/highway miles.
    The first time you may want to do any internal oil screen involved
    also. -After that, do only the oil, and at a longer interval if the color
    stays good.
    Nicksimon, I suggest you go ahead get an Aerio SX. I looked at both Hyundai Elantra and Kia Rio/Optima, they are not impressive at all. I do agree that Korean cars are catching up, but they still have a long way to go. People may think that Suzukis are not as good as Toyotas or Hondas, but it did survive 52 years (1953-2005) in the Japanese market and are still going strong, like their Wagon R, best selling vehicle of 2004 in Japan. The Aerio has problems here or there, but nothing serious. My experience with the dealership is fairly good. lngtonge18 is right, they don't have parts in stock. Normaly took them anywhere between 2 to 7 days to get it. Meanwhile, since it is under warranty, you get a loaner car for free. To me, it is transportation, so track record is not important. :shades:
    I beg to differ. Suzuki has tradionally been at the bottom of quality reviews in the US. Their cars are not known for quality here. The cars they are known for in Japan don't make it here. Hard data backs up the reason why people think they aren't in the same class as Honda/Toyota. Hyundai, on the other hand, recently beat Honda and tied with Toyota as having the least problems per 100 new vehicles. Kia still needs some improvement, but once all of its original designs are replaced with Hyundai clones, they will be high up the scale as well. People need to accept that the Koreans have already made it and aren't well behind like so many people like to cling to. They have definitely surpassed Suzuki.

What about the Aerio makes it feel substantially higher quality to you compared to Korean made cars? The Aerio's engine is loud and very unrefined (it shakes noticeably at idle and the noise it makes when revving is not pleasant). The doors close with a tinny sound effect and the door panels buzz to the tune of music. The manual tranny has a poor record for durability. The brakes were known for clunking and the warranty "fix" didn't work on my car. I waited for months for a part to fix the loose fog lamps. I never did get it and the dealer never called me. I actively called them but they always said the part was back-ordered. Could of been a bad dealer, but Suzuki dealers aren't known for good service and parts are truly hard to come by. I will say the 05 Aerio's interior is a huge improvement in looks and quality but overall, the Aerio is a below average choice in a very crowded segment and its sales reflect this.
    Cool, I didnt know anyone replied to me. I have the ECU from the 2.0L but the wiring harness is different. I have the wiring harness for the engine but how would I hook things up to the dash and other things? Do you think I might be able to use the 1.8L ECU? What would happen if I tried that? Thanks
  • symphony1symphony1 Member Posts: 1
    The shifter in my 05 Aerio is a little too slushy for my liking. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket short-throw shifters made for this car?

TIA
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    No body makes a short throw shifter for the Aerio. A company in cali used to make them,but have since stopped. I got one of the last ones made. :D
This discussion has been closed.