Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new Suzuki Aerio! Thanks for your notes... we look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • qualityguyqualityguy Member Posts: 101
    What is a good price for a comf. loaded Aerio Wagon?
  • smoothride3smoothride3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi 5port,

Thanks for letting me know. Does the digital dask also has a speedometer cable? If it does than it could be the problem. I just hope they could find the problem, and I hope they don't have to take every apart to fix it. If that's the case I bought a lemon :( . I paid out the door for $15888.00 US dollars, with automatic and ABS. I went to the dealer and they made an appointment on Monday, so we will see what happen.
    Have you had a chance to check out TMV New Vehicle Pricing Calculator? This will give you the average cost in your region.

Also, please note that the Edmunds.com base TMV new vehicle prices do not take into account Manufacturer-to-consumer incentives or rebates. So be sure to check Edmunds' Incentives and rebates for any necessary adjustments. Others here may have more to add. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    If all you have is a speedometer problem you are a long way from having a lemon I have had some new cars with 6 defects when delivered and when fixed they turned out to be great cars. With 7000 parts in a car it is a wonder there arent more defects. The worst car I had was perfect for 5 years and then turned sour and had one with 142,000 miles that was a jewel other than it burned oil but oil was cheap, so what. My Aerio is perfect so far except for more brake dust on one side and yet it stops perfectly. A lemon is a persistent problem they cant fix.
  • jmmgjmmg Member Posts: 19
    Hi, everyone,

I have ordered a Aerio SX since April 15 and the salesman told me that my car will be ready to pick up in two weeks, now I still don't have the car and I called them yesterday, my answer from the dealer's manager was unacceptable! He said it will be another two weeks to four weeks before I can have my car, because the only shipment of the Aerio SX is still on the boat from Japan, also he told me that if I don;t want to wait, he will give me the Demo car in the show room as same price!!! I lave the new Aerio, but if Suzuki want to impress customers in North America, that kind of service attitude have to REFINE! I won't wait for another four weeks, Two weeks the most, then I will get the Toyota Matrix instead! I am from Calgary, and there is only one dealership in Calgary, have any of you experienced the same kind of service that I have encounter?

P.S. Could anyone tell me what made of the tires on the Aerio SX? Thanks in advance.

JMMG
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Sorry you are having trouble getting the Aerio you want, but I wouldn't expect much better at the Toyota store. People are having to wait more then a month in some cases. Unless the Toyota dealer has one on their lot exactly as you want it, you will probably end up waiting longer for the Matrix then you would to get the Aerio. The Matrix is in very high demand right now. Also, keep in mind the Aerio just came out about a month ago. Dealers are just now getting in their first orders. My dealer has 3 Aerios and only 1 is an SX. So give them the benefit of the doubt before getting angry at them. Just make it known to them that you will happily find another Suzuki dealer that can get the car you want if they can't promise you the car in a timely manner.

The Car and Driver test car had Yokohama tires.
    For those who were curious, Car and Driver tested the Aerio SX in a comparison test with the other wagons (Vibe, Matrix XRS, PTCruiser, Focus ZX5, and Protege5). It did make last place, but mostly due to the fact they didn't like the styling of the car. Otherwise, they seemed to really like it. They praised the spunky and smooth engine response, its willingness to rev, and claimed the engine was less thrashy sounding then the Matrix, Protege5, and Focus ZX5. They said the steering was light and very responsive and the manual tranny was pleasing and direct. They thought it drove serenely on the highway with only a hint of wind noise that didn't get annoying like it did in other cars. They liked the front seat support, though they panned the fabric as being too industrial grade. They thought the rear seat was very comfortable and roomy for 2 people (only the Protege5 was deemed more comfortable) but said the shape of the seat made it uncomfortable for 3. They praised the gobs of headroom and the unbelievable amount of cargo space with the rear seats folded (the largest capacity of the group). They went on to say that the driving experience was so good that some were able to forget about the styling. They closed their remarks with this: "The Suzuki drives like it's pretty". In other words, if you like the styling, then you should really enjoy the car.
    0-60 was achieved in 8.5 seconds (tied with the Vibe's 130 horse engine and beaten only by the Matrix's 180 horse engine). Top speed was 116. Average fuel economy was 26mpg. It stopped from 70 mph in a commendable 177 feet with ABS. All this performance was packed into the cheapest car of the bunch. The Aerio SX is one helluva deal!!
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    I read the article as well......it's amazing it finished last considering the performance ratings and all the good things they said about it. While, for me, the P5 and the Vibe are the "lookers" of the group, I'd put the Aerio a close third......when you factor in performance, space, utility and value, Aerio is #1 in my book.
  • gerrixgerrix Member Posts: 7
    I have ordered an Aerio SX since April 1st and was supposed to have it on may 6. The salesman told me I'll have to wait till begining of june !
    Fortunately, I can drive an Aerio GLX sedan until there. Great car, I love it.
    Thank you for your advise, I am just frustrated! I am just kidding about going to buy the Matrix, that "Toyota" is so ugly and the price is unreasonable! Just like the Golf or Jetta(I almost bought one 3 months ago)I will wait for the Aerio and hope I can get it before my birthday:)

Do you know what made of those 195/55 15" tires? Would you mind to tell me where are you from?
  • autoknologistautoknologist Member Posts: 16
    I am glad that Car and Driver gave it a good review. I have not yet recieved my issue with that article in it. I really like this car. I have been looking at the SX model. I will have one soon, in Silver. This is one vehicle that looks fantastic in Silver, especially at night. I have test driven 2 of them so far. The more I drive it, the better I like it. I used to have a Toyota Echo. I loved the overall car, but was very disapointed in 2 aspects of the car: 1)NO power equipment available(at least in the US) 2) NO adjustability to the drivers seat. Due to the extreme amount of Lumbar designed into the seat, this caused me major back problems and ultimately lead to me selling the car. Since I did, my back problems went away. The new Aerio is the closest a vehicle has come so far to the design and styling standard of the Echo, which I really loved. But the Aerio is better all around and actually costs about the same, with all the equipment I want, standard. Well, hopefully, the next time I post I can tell you all how much I like my new Aerio SX.
    autoknologist: My dealer had a silver SX in the showroom equipped with 17" wheels. Looked very hot! I myself would love to see a black one in person.

Jmmg: I live in Florida, far far away from Canada. I'm not for sure whether Suzuki uses the same exact tires for all SX models. I feel for you though. I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait for that new car! Hope you get it in time to enjoy your B-day :)

On another note, I still haven't test drove the Aerio :( I'm really jealous of everyone else here. I went yesterday to the dealer, but the salesman was the absolute WORST kind. I asked him to get the keys to the SX outside so I could sit in it (also wanted to do a test drive) and he was too lazy to bother! He directed me indoors so I could sit in the one there. My friend wanted to see what the dash gauges looked like and he didn't offer to show us. He said the stupidest things too, like "I like the wagon better myself, dont u?". He didn't try to explain any of the features, just stood there while I looked it over. He didn't try to sell me the car at all. It was as if he could care less. I was so disgusted, I left. I did test drive the Matrix with a 5 speed though. It was nice and the price wasn't too bad, but they have the driving position all wrong. I'm only 5'6" and have longish legs but short arms. To be able to reach the center dash mounted shifter and the steering wheel that is way too close to the dash, you have to sit too close to the pedals. I felt a little too scrunched up. It also felt heavy and way larger then it is to drive. The windshield was too small, hindering visibility some. I also heard a slight rattle coming from the center of the dash, something I didn't expect in a brand new Toyota. The stereo did kick butt though and the seats were cushy. Overall, I don't think I could be completely satisfied with the Matrix. I hope the Aerio's test drive impresses me more. It already has a proper driving position and large windshield in its favor.
    Yes, Florida is far away from Calgary, but I know a lot of Canadian live in Florida during the Winter, We call them Snow-bird :)

I have the same experience like you, that exactly kinds of salesmanship I was talking about before!My salesman didn't sell me the car either, I basically sold it to myself, the only thing that he interested is getting my deposit and made up all kinds of lies like "I garrantee you will have your car less than 2 weeks,etc.""If you didn't get it before May, I will order the 2003 AWD version for you at no extra cost"

As I said, For the longest time, Suzuki really get themself a Kick-XXX winner here,it could charge a lot of perspective about the import market here in N. America, but if they think that everything has come so easy and continuous to give that type of snobbish customer service, that will kill their golden opportunities and leave a bad taste for a lot of their potential customers, hope they will wake up!
  • roshan2roshan2 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    We just purchased an Aerio SX manual and paid 22,300. I don't know how this compares to the rest- but we thought we'd post it so others can compare- and maybe generate some more price sharing for Canadian buyers. We too will have to wait atleast a couple weeks. We want the car, but can definitely wait on the payments, so we're okay on that. The tires- up in Canada we have P195/55R15 Yokohama. See ya on the road.
    Glad to hear from another Aerio lover :) Hope you will get your new toy in time and share the comments after you have drive it!

BTW, where are you from?
    I don't know which part of Canada that you from!

I paid $ 21600 for my Aerio SX and I also added side molding, hood protector, centre armrest and rear bumper protection sheet as option as well!
  • roshan2roshan2 Member Posts: 4
    JMMG, is your price all inclusive of taxes and charges? If it is- wow! good deal for you, and unfortunatley a rip off for us. The 22300 I quoted was the bottom line price. We are in Vancouver.
    Finally drove an Aerio SX on the weekend (a sedan, as there were no hatchbacks available).
    Generally good impressions......engine a little coarse but livable......some wind noise from the mirrors but seats/ride was comfortable, good visibility,space, performance. One thing we noticed is there is nowhere to put your "stuff".
    Other than the glove box, where do you put your CD's, sunglasses, cell phone etc. Matrix/Vibe etc have dedicated cell phone/cd spots but there is nothing except the cup holders in the Aerio. Seems like a big omission on Suzuki's part, especially if they are going after the youth market among others. Any comments?
    Yes Artdecho, there is not much place to put your stuff. There is a storage tray under the passenger seat though.
    I have added a centre arm rest between the front seats, it provided some storage area and make the interior look better as well.
  • QualityQuality Member Posts: 17
    Glad to see lots of interest in this new vehicle. Anyhow, had my second oil change on the weekend and pushing 11,000 km already. I am a courier so I put on lots of km.. Couple of minor problems to register: a squeal in brakes ( fixed during first oil change - rotor too smooth and they sanded it down a bit. it is fine now.) And, the module for the keyless entry was replaced. Otherwise, no problems to report. Lots of power and many curious people asking questions about my vehicle. Have done some mileage (kilometerage?) tests. Most coming in just under 30 miles per Canadian gallon and one at 35 mpg. I paid $18600 for my unit and my salesman says they are not currently producing the GLX for sale in Canada. New buyers will have to step up to the SX version. Lucky me.
    Rule #1 : Don't trust salesmen.
    From what I heard and experience, SX are in short supply, Suzuki didn't expect that SX would sell so well. They forsought to sell 3 Sedan for 1 hatchback. Thus, now they have a lot of unsold Sedan and a lot of SX in back order.
    Now, probably the factory in Japan is stopping production of Sedans for a while, and produce hatchback only to make a balance.
    Gerrix.......yeah, i'm aware of the under seat storage, but not too convenient if you're driving along & need to switch to your sunglasses and have to fumble around under the passenger seat while trying to keep your eyes on the road!
    JMMG......how much did they ding you for the centre armrest/storage? Looks like a "must have" option, given the shortage of useful storage nooks.
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear your Suzuki Aerio is serving you well. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Artdecho, the salesman told me it's 227$ can. for the armrest. Not cheap.
    My salesman told me its around Cdn$ 230 as well, but because I have to wait for car for so long, plus he lied to me in the first place, I have managed to get him put the arm rest in for half price! Fight for it!
    Could anyone let me know exactly what type of Yokohama tires that Suzuki has put on the Aerio SX! coz' I read an article on Japanese newspaper and they mentioned some models of Yokohama tire has beem recall in Japan due to the similar problem like the "Dire-stone".
  • orlandoguy1orlandoguy1 Member Posts: 9
    Need some feedback please-Looking to relpace my Protege--sort bored with it. Looked into Matrix-Vibe-Aerio- Love the Vibe-the Pontiac name scares me even though they say its the same as Matrix,I read somewhere on here that like 80% of the cares mechanical areas aare US made??????? I can't bring myself to pay 17000 for a car with no power anything. Matrix is sort of plain looking. Looked at Areio-didn't test drive it though. Better price-but not sure of reliability factor(at least my Mazda is listed as "reliable" in the car reports.) Ruled out the Hyundai GT--. Any feed back??
    Just an update about the clicking noise of my new Aerio SX automatic w/ABS. I took it to the dealer and the service guy said he reset the computer and that's what he thought the problem was, but I still hear the noise. He told me to go ahead and drive it for a while, the noise might go away. Well, I have no choice, they are not going the change the car for me. And they can't find out what's wrong. I might have to call back in a few months to see if they have more people with that ennoying noise, and by that time, they might be able to specific the problem. I guess I just turn the radio louder. So, does anyone else have this problem?

Well, the good part is that I am beginning to like the performance of the car. It runs smoother as I break into the 300 miles. The ABS brake works great and the acceleration is there. I am planning to get a car alarm and tinted window. Anyone have good suggestion on what kind of alarm I should get?

Any input will be great.
    Hey Orlandoguy1, I think the SX is a good choice. I have at 2 people from the street complementing the car and even one said he just got the matrix but he like the look of mine. For some reason I like the matrix look, but not the price. I got mine before tax and license for $14,499.88 with Automatic and ABS. The car drive smoothly and sitting tall almost like sport utility. Like I said in the earlier message, the only complain is the clicking noise in the driver frontdash which I just have to turn the radio louder.
    Did they have any Aerio SXs with a manual tranny at the Orlando dealer? I live in northern Florida but will be down in Orlando soon so it might work out good to test drive it then. I wouldn't worry too much about Suzuki reliability. They seem to be well known in both the motorcycle and car world as having dependable long lasting engines. They just don't sell many cars so there aren't enough owners to report on overall reliability. You would have to look at their SUV offerings to get a better picture of how good they are. As for the Matrix, I drove a base model that stickered for 16980 with power windows, locks, remote entry, CD player, graphics package, and aftermarket alloy wheels. So it is possible to spend 17k on the Matrix and still get a reasonably equipped car that doesn't look plain (the wheels do wonders to improve its looks). Lastly, I wouldn't be so scared of the Vibe. If you like it, buy it! The mechanicals are all Toyota and it's built at a Toyota plant. The only difference is you get a smaller powertrain warranty, though I think you gain roadside assistance. Good luck on your decision.
    The Aerio comes with Tokohoma Geolander GO46 tires that are specific to this car only. They have a V speed rating, have good traction but wont produce long wear and may not be good in the snow but that remains to be seen. I have had other Geolanders on a Suzuki SUV with good luck and pretty good winter traction but they were only a T speed rating as I remember.
    I had a 1990 Sidekick with 124,000 miles and a 94 with 82000 miles when I sold it. Very little maintenance needed and very reliable, almost no problems. Suzuki has had very few re-calls and I like the timing chain versus cheap belts. The direct ignition is usually only found on more expensive cars. The Vibe is better looking than the Matrix and I looked at it. Base engine is nothing to write home about and the seats are so low. Driving position is awkward. I tested the Suzuki Aerio twice and several other makes and we are glad we got the Aerio. Dont decide until you have driven them all.
  • bsme1991bsme1991 Member Posts: 23
    Five year ownership cost based on 15,000 mi/year including financing, fuel, maintenance, and repairs. Zip code 97005:

Focus SVT $28,164
    RSX 2D 5M $27,069
    Accord EX 4D 2.3L 5M $26,339
    Sentra SE-R Spec V 6M $26,306
    Focus ZTS 4D 5M $26,144

Suzuki Aerio SX 5M $25,581

Celica GT 2D 5M $25,001
    Civic Si side air bags $24,718
    Accord LX 4D 2.3L 5M $24,557
    Elantra GLS 2L 5M $23,559
    Focus LX 4D 5M $23,496
    Civic EX 4D 5M side air bags $22,402
    Sentra GXE 4D 5M $22,309
    Civic EX 4D 5M $22,261
    Civic LX 4D 5M $20,954
    http://applications.edmunds.com/products/tco/TCOintroController
  • orlandoguy1orlandoguy1 Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys thks for the feedback. Iam a fir beleiver of CR magazine and what they say concerning cars. They seem to "black dot" suzuki models in depreciation and reliability. I heard that digital inst panels are expensive to replace when they need repaired? The Orlando dealer has some sticks --around 15-16000...Fountain Auto Mall--u have to go look for help--guess they don't need to sell any cars--didn't even get to test drive one. Not sure when u guys post from--but I didn't see a Matrix here for under $17000--closer to 18000----so for 14000 and change--u guys got a steal!!!!!! Well--may stick with my Protege--who knows......just don't want to get stuck with something I might be sorry with..hey--I had a Neon before the Protege..so I have a right to be cautious!!
    I think the sample sizes for Suzuki data on some of these reliability surveys are too small to get an accurate read on their reliability. Judging by comments made here and in other forums, Suzukis are one of the most trouble-free brands on the road. Our 1993 Sidekick has almost 200,000 km
    (about 125,000 miles) on it and other than regular scheduled maintenance, we've done virtually nothing to it. The muffler lasted about 8 years and the rest of the exhaust sytem is still original. I replaced the battery last year and have just about worn out my second set of tires but other than that, nothing. No engine problems, no fuel system problems, no tranmission or driveline problems, no excessive brake wear, no cooling system problems, no electrical problems, nothing. Even one of the batteries in the remote (for the alarm) is still original, this after almost 10 years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Suzuki and that's why an Aerio is probably in the cards for us now.
  • abctooncenterabctooncenter Member Posts: 1
    I started with a Sumarai when they first came out and had no trouble with it whatsoever after driving it off the dealer's lot. Consumer Report was a bum rap. Only time it came close to tipping was my own fault on a cliffside in the Adirondacks. Traded it in for a '95 Sidekick that has never let us down on trips all over the NE. Traded it in this past week with 97,000 miles on it for a loaded 2002 GS. $1295 rebate brought me into the showroom, Suzuki reliability made me a new owner. Haggled with salesman and manager for 2 hours. Ended up with a price of 15,190. and they allowed 2,400 for the trade-in. I drive 30 miles one-way combined city/expressway driving each day to work and to be honest coming from a Sidekick the GS is a Cadillac! I do agree with "artdecho" that lack of an easily reachable place for my "stuff" is my ONLY complaint thus far. Even thinking of a second one for the lady of the house. She currently has a Rav4, 4dr, and likes this much better.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    For those interested in buying and tuning the Aerio SX hatchback, you might want to check out the June 2002 issue of Importer Tuner magazine. It has an article about the SX hatchback and it turns out the guys at IT will be buying and tuning their very own SX. A series of articles about the tuning process are planned.

The same tips should work on the Aerio sedan since the engine, the size of the engine bay, and the other mechanicals are the same.
    Reading the posts from the Canadians have me really curious as to what exactly are the different trim levels that the Aerio comes in.

In the US, we have three. The SX is the designation for the hatchback only while the S is the base sedan and the GS is the sportier looking sedan. Personally, if an Aerio is in my future, it will be a GS with ABS and AWD.

To the person complaining about lack of storage space in the Aerio, if you want storage space, buy an Echo. ; )
    I took your advice and read the nice write up about the Aerio SX and their plans to tune and hop one up. They seem impressed by the Artio and feel Suzuki has arrived with this well thought out model. It was interesting that Suzuki Sport has some mild speed equipment available for it now. We like ours more each day and are so happy that we chose it over the Vibe-Matrix although we are starting to see several of those on the road. Bet they were not even aware of the Aerio. Im still mad as hell at Car and Driver for ranking it last after scoring it good and being impressed by it but saying its too ugly for them. If I could figure out how to e-mail their writer I would set him straight about a lot of contrary information.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Actually, I think the looks need work too...a lot. The way it looks makes the wheels look REALLY tiny...plus you really can't get bigger wheels, because you're already riding low profile 15 inch tires from the looks of it.

Also, those skirts make the thing look like a low-rider. Not only that, it looks like they'd scrape the speed-bumps at my apartment complex...I wonder if they're removable?

Right now I'm lookign at that and a VW GTI...if they come up with a turbo for the Aerio SX AWD version, I'd probably go that way....I DO like the way the dash looks, and the height of the stereo controls. And I REALLY like the storage compartment under the floor of the cargo area.
    I read the article too. They just don't like the looks (interior and exterior). It's really a matter of personnal tastes. I don't like the PT Cruiser look, but they placed it second... The review just show that the six cars are all quite good (Aerio, Matrix, Vibe, Focus, PT Cruiser, Protege5).
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Actually, they say the Focus sucked...they didn't like the Torquemada seats, the shifter stunk, it didn't have enough interior space, and also had a weak engine. Which is why I have trouble figuring out why it ended up above the Aerio, which, while they hated the looks, they DID like the handling.
    Too bad looks are such an important criteria to Car & Driver......Aerio would've been in the top 2 or 3 if performance, room and handling held more importance. Looks are so subjective, anyway. I happen to think the Matrix and PT Cruiser are the ugliest of that bunch.
    Suzuki should've spec'd 15" 65 series tires as the base ones for the Aerio, with the SX having 16" 55 series ones. That said, the tires on my '91 Civic Si hatch were only 185/60-14's and on a nice set of alloys, they looked plenty big enough. I think if Suzuki increased the track width an inch or 2, it would help alot. 215/50-15's have virtually the same circumference as the stock 195/55-15's but might look a bit chunkier.
    frenchcar......what is the width of the 15" alloys? Is it 5.5 or 6"? Maybe going to a 6.5" or 7" width would also help.
    I have the issue of Car And Driver that is under discussion, but I cannot find it right now. I did get to glance at it again when I took my car in for service. The dealership had a copy.

My memory is that the Aerio did not lose by a little. It lost by a lot.

There was a lot more to what Car And Driver did not like about the Aerio than the looks.
    HCI (Hot Compact And Import) also has a story about the Aerio coming to our shores. Looks like this vehicle is going to be popular if the coverage is any indication.
    I have several large speed bumps where I live and there is no clearance or scrape problem at any speed (I once hit one at 25mph on purpose) and the suspension handles it better than most other vehicles. I actually measured the side clearancve and it is just one half inch lower than most new cars, it is optical illusion. I have seen an Aerio sedan with 17 inch 45 series tires that someone had changed to.
    Read the Car and Driver article and you will see they didn't have much to complain about. They simply didn't like the styling and that was the only low listed. They also said it didn't have as much max grip as the others and they didn't like the fabric. Otherwise, they praised the engine's smoothness and good performance and how roomy and comfortable the interior was. It stopped better then some of them, had a comfortable ride, and they praised the shifter. I honestly think they really messed up their review and docked the car solely on aesthetics, which I think is absurd.
    HCI and Import Tuner along with Edmunds, Motor Week and a few others liked the Aerio. Car and Driver is blind again as far as being honest in their rating system and this is not the first time they have pulled this kind of crap. Even if you dont like the looks of the car you should never let that distort your opinion. The Vibe and Matrix style doesnt turn many people on either. I tried them out but never could get comfortable. Still glad I bought the Suzuki but to each his own. I like the Mazda P-5 a whole lot but too low and limited space for my use.
This discussion has been closed.