Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• deepu134deepu134 Member Posts: 3
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are color keyed bumpers and door handles? I find it mentioned in the list of car features all the time.

As far as I can make out, all of my car is just the same white color.
  • mic5000mic5000 Member Posts: 18
    Means that the bumpers and handles are also painted instead of chrome or black, etc.
  • abayardeabayarde Member Posts: 6
    Finally got some accesories for my Aerio:

Roof rack: Kinda tricky to install but they fit like a glove (very firm!). Instructions asume that you only use metric system, so the first problem is getting a metric ruler. Forget about the "350mm distance" from door edge and the front roof rack, It gets too close to the front glass and looks awful. Better fit it at 260mm. Then, at least, will look like the Aerio in the brochure. Nice rubber and steel holders.

Cargo Mat and Floor Tray Mat Set: Three pieces fits snuggly in every single corner. Not too heavy, but also not too light. It comes with a driver side holding screw, but mat fits so well I think is not necessary (even a problem if you want to take it off to clean).

Rear Bumper Strip: With a $30+ value, I think this is a steal. It's a light rubber mat that you need to install with a special glue (included) that needs to be mixed with water and have to be installed in a specific temperature. It's just like doing window tinting with plastic films. Messy.

Roof rack looks great in my white 2002 GLXT Aerio Sedan with color keyed mirrors and door handles. It gives some euro-styling since it's a pretty nice Mont Blanc design. It takes off some "taller" appereance since it's pretty wide (SX model roof rack is smaller and less wide). The only problem with it is wind noise during highway driving. I WOULD NOT recommend it if you don't use it often and need to drive mostly pretty fast.

Rubber bumper strip is a little science fair to install but finally gives you a better protection during cargo use. It also helps to give a nice contrast looks to an all white car.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You generally have to order and wait for parts from Suzuki and the waiting period can sometimes be a tad long. The dealers don't seem to keep much in stock. As for other places, I'm not too sure. I didn't have a problem getting oil filters from Discount Auto though (now Advanced Auto).
    My Suzuki dealership specializes in Suzuki and European cars...maybe you can check to see if other dealerships specialize in Suzuki. How about calling the dealership and try and order a part?

When I had my car fixed from hail damage, the body shop (not the dealership) said it took a while to get the hood and hood prop. They've also needed to order a fog light wiring harness once and that took a week also.

My dealership has this thing where if I get the service done with them, they stamp a card and I am guaranteed 2k for a trade in. With that card, lots of the work is either 20% off, 50% off or free.

I don't think there are many of us Aerio drivers around enough for "Anytown-USA" to be able to say they know it like they might a civic.

We love our Aerio and really do not for see any mechanical issues. It just seems like a very solid pure Japanese car that can last the 10 years I want it to.

I hope I was of some help!
  • wellsvwellsv Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help. I just can't bring myself to drive my other possibility, the Toyota Echo (totally odd looking)-- and I was into the VW Golf until I read about major reliability issues with the VW line. Maybe those are exagerated, but I don't want to risk getting a VW problem car, and I have always been confident in the Japanese line, and even though my Subaru was pretty well rusted out, I got way over 100k and it ran 11 years. The Aerio certainly "felt" right in the test drive.
    I got my recall notice today even though I no longer own the car (I will be nice enough to return the provided card stating I traded it in so they know my car hasn't been checked). Has anyone else received this yet? I find it quite interesting that if your car is discovered to have the windshield problem, Suzuki will REPLACE the car with a new one, not fix it. Maybe some of you 02 owners can hope your car is affected so you can get an improved 03 or 04 model. This recall can potentially cost Suzuki a heck of a lot of money! I'm wondering what happens to those cars that are replaced.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    My early 2002 Aerio SX automatic has 14,000 miles now with no problems other than one bad remote which they had in stock. I tried out the Matrix and Vibe and the Golf and we are happy we got the Aerio. The Matrix didnt sit right and our Aerio actually got better after we had 5 or 6000 miles on it. The gas mileage got dramatically better, it is faster and smoother and rides better now. We are used to the engine noise and like it as it has kind of a throaty sound to it as if we had added an aftermarket muffler. The K & N air filter we added made a remarkable difference in many ways. I have not heard od any recalls on my car. At first we thought we had a strange distortation in our windshield but after we put on a dash cover we no longer noticed a windshield problem as the glare was gone too. I just recently picked up a 95 Suzuki Sidekick with 93,000 miles as a second car and did a few things to it and it runs great. This is our 5th Suzuki and they are reliable cars. Im lucky to have a good dealer with many parts. If I know Im going to need a part I call them in advance. No, you cant always depend on auto parts stores to have Suzuki parts other than common ones but I have never been stranded. I plan ahead and have gotten to know two of the mechanics. Our dealer now sells just Suzuki which helps a lot in many ways. I wouldnt want to get rid of our 2002 for any reason. Mine didnt come with the long warranty and someday something might go wrong but thats life in the big city. Hope you, decide to buy one. Yhey are selling them cheaper now than when I bought mine. Forget what the sticker says.
    Models that were affected include 02-03 Aerio, Vitara, Grand Vitara, and XL-7. I believe about 10,000 Aerios were potentially affected. The recall notice stated plainly that if your car is found to have the problem, the car will be replaced with a comparable new model at no charge. Suzuki must be praying none are actually found to have the problem or they stand to lose some serious money!!
  • guickgguickg Member Posts: 19
    I purchased my 2002 Aerio SX in May 2002. I've called the Suzuki toll free customer service number to check if my car is being recalled. They ran my VIN and said no. The recall info is on the NHTSA.gov website. As has been pointed out by others, it affects Aerios, Vitaras and XL-7s, both 2002 and 2003 models. The recall data on the website indicates how many cars are affected in each model and year, but I seem to remember that the total number of Aerios is under 8,000. I may be wrong. As to parts availability, my dealer in NY does not have any parts in stock. It has taken 1-2 weeks to get them in the past. I am talking about replacement brake calipers (per Suzuki's technical bulletin to alleviate the popping brake sound), defective ABS sensor AND defective front wheel bearings (which made the steering wheel vibrate violently at high speeds). My car has had its share of mechanical problems, and I only have 9,500 miles on it in a year and a half since the purchase). My dealer does not seem to be very knowledgeable about the car. I had to tell him about the technical bulletin on the brakes.
    That is a big recall to possibly buy back your car...how embarassing. Would you say that this recall is almost as bad as the Focus' 10+ recalls?
    One major one or many tiny ones...i guess they are all major...

here's one link to the recall http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00736.htm
  • wellsvwellsv Member Posts: 3
    Lack of parts is what worries me. Your dealer is not in WNY by chance? I read that Suzuki wants to strengthen the dealer network, so maybe it will get better.
    My dealer does not think my Aerio is subject to any recall and the service department is not aware of any offer to replace a vehicle but I will check with the sales manager. The owner of our Tucson, AZ dealership also owns the Jaguar, Lexis, Hummer, Isuzu, Buick and Kia dealerships but at other locations in the city. Now that Suzuki is all alone they have a lot more cars and a lot more parts as a stand alone dealership. With the addition of 2 new vehicles this fall and the remake of all the others in the next 3 years and an effort to beef up the dealership ranks, I think you will see a brighter future for Suzuki in the future. They have been popular worldwide for many years, just not well known in North America. Most of the little Samurai models from 1986 to 1989 are still on the road. I like the uniqueness of them. We traded in a Ford Focus on our Aerio and that is a popular car but all the recalls were a pain and they sold so many to rental agencies that now the auctions are overloaded with them and values have plunged. Had an emmissions test today on the 93,000 mile 1995 Sidekick I bought recently and the test figures were cleaner (almost zero) than for any car I have ever had tested. I know people with high mileage Suzuki products and they have had better experience with them than most cars and I agree. However, nothing is perfect but I dont think you can get perfection out of anything with 5000 parts in it but hope to come close.
  • guickgguickg Member Posts: 19
    I am in NYC. My dealer also sells and services Lincoln-Mercury and Isuzu (not sure why three such different brands are sold together). Since I purchased my Aerio in May 2002, I have not seen any new dealerships appear in or around NYC or NYS for that matter (based on the Suzuki.com website dealer searches). Although Suzuki dealerships are spread out quite a bit, there are a few of them at least in the NY metro area. Suzuki cars are generally very reliable so I don't think you would need parts often. My car just happened to have some problems which had to be fixed. And it was one of the early ones produced. The Suzuki dealership experience is typical of any other dealership. As a general rule, they don't keep up with all the latest developments, technical bulletins and recalls. It would be up to you to keep informed and let them know. It's not right, but that's how it is. The best way to find out if your car is being recalled is simply to call Suzuki Customer Relations Dept. (the number is on their website) and give them your VIN instead of asking the dealer.
    My 2002 Aerio is not effected but a small number of late 02 and early 03 modeks do have a problem. My service adviser was not aware of it (has been on vacation), parts was not aware of it, nor were some of the salesmen. Then I talked to one of the mechanics AND HE KNEW ALL ABOUT IT. There was a paint booth malfunction or human error where a limited number of vehicles had their primer coat overbaked and the adhesion is giving out between the primer and finish coat and in turn the windshield adhesives. Mechanics were given a write up and a test tool and test instructions. They test two small areas on the sides of the windshield body. 3 have been brought into my dealer just last week and all 3 passed the test. If they run into one that fails then an Suzuki inspector comes to inspect that vehicle and if he agrees that it is defective then they do indeed give you a new vehicle. Sounds bizzare but at least Suzuki stands behind their product and I remember when Ford replaced some Mustangs and years ago GM did it on some model. The only way to properly take care of the problem is to ship the car back to Japan, strip it down to bare body, strip off all paint and re-prime and bake it. I gather the primer problem will eventually be all over and not just by the windshield. Thank heavens only a few vehicles are involved but to be safe they will recall some to test out that probably are ok. Better to be safe. JUST WAIT FOR YOUR LETTERS. Hope this helps. Over the years the total number of recalls on Suzuki models has been quite small.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    We bought a 2002 in June, 2002 (was delivered to the dealer about a week before we got it)...haven't seen any recall notice yet but will watch the mail. While getting a brand new vehicle would be nice (slight power upgrade, door buzzes resolved?? etc.), I'm not sure I like the centre rear seatbelt arrangement and we'd lose the centre rear armrest/cupholder as well (our son will be disappointed!) One year into the Aerio "experience", we are generally happy with the car but I do have some suggestions for Suzuki.
    While I'm ok with the digital dash, a nice set of analogues would make the interior look a little classier....mount them on the steering wheel (like Nissan in the 350Z/Murano) if your're worried about right/left-hand drive adaptability.
    The whole dash actually should be redesigned to bring some of the lower controls/switches up into a more user-friendly (and safer) position. And please, incorporate some oddment storage this time, as well as, try to minimize those nasty dash reflections. Seat comfort is excellent (though a seat height adjustment that raises and not just tilts the cushion would be welcome). Some brighter fabrics/inserts would liven up what is a fairly dark and sombre interior. The cargo cover should be higher and be retractable and storable as well. Though I like the big sideview mirrors, they make the poor aerodynamics of the Aerio (oxymoron?) even worse and contribute a lot of wind noise. Better integrated (and not quite as low) ground effects (a la Protege5), an intermittent rear wiper and 16" tires/wheels would make a good car great. Make the doors less "tinny" and, if you haven't eliminated the interior door panel buzzes already, please do...they really affect the perception of quality. And maybe it's time for Suzuki to get with the variable valve timing program....while the Aerio is competetive powerwise, it's no rocket and it's fuel economy compared to Toyota and Honda is not what it should be.
    Basically I agree with many of your observations about improvements that could be made to the Aerio. We are fortunate that ours has never had the door buzz problem and ours was a very early model. We solved the awful windshield glare with a nicely made velour dash cover from DASH DESIGNS in Tempe , Arizona and they have a web site. They also make a neat retractable sunshade. The velour dash cover in black is actually a dark gray that matches the interior and we got a gray steering wheel cover from them as it is really needed in our 108 degree temperatures in Tucson lately. We like ours so much that we wouldnt want a replacement car. Im sure ours wont be recalled.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi all,

My 03 Aerio SX just turned 15K miles. Only problem to report is that I have the ocaasional brake clunk. But lately it hasn't been doing this much - probably due to the hot summer weather here is southern CA. I have made some upgrades to my car - painted brake calipers and drums red, installed chrome door locks, installed aluminum dash pieces, and installed center arm rest. When I first bought this car I wasn't too sure about Suzuki. However, this car has really sold me. I feel that this car could last well beyond 100K miles with not many problems.

Happy motoring
  • chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    Got back from a long trip to find out the driver side back back window was smashed in by a ball. Family tried to fix the matter before I got back (car's in FL, I live in PA), but dealers said that it'd be a week to get the glass, then more time to schedule and install. No dice. So, I get to see what insurance will do for me.
    Check with an auto glass company as they might be able to get it quicker than anyone. However, the small back side window is not something many places would stock. I need an A/C compressor for my old 95 Sidekick and the California Suzuki parts warehouse has it (they have 3 warehouses nationwide) and I could get it overnight if I wanted to pay the $15 or $20 air freight. I decided to wait 3 working days for the stock order they were submitting that day. It should be here tomorrow and they can do it the following day. Not bad at all. WARNING: when a part has to be ordered find out which warehouse has it; when does another stock order go in and how long will it take?? It is often better to pay the air freight and get it quick unless it is not critical. Collision parts seem to take longer, especially on new models. I once knew a man in Detroit who had a new Pontiac model (he had the first one in town) and he wrecked it one week later. He had to wait for 3 months for the fenders to come in and that is not as unusual as you might think but 3 or days is more typical on models that have been around awhile. Hope you get your glass soon Greg.
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    Got back from holidays last night. We had the car REALLY loaded down and were driving the in the rocky mtns in heat that was 33-37C. We had no problems at all. Loved how well the A/C worked. Loved how much stuff we could take and still have room for 3 people. Just wish my 03SX had a temp gauge. Would really be nice to know just how hot the engine got.
    That is B/S that suzuki would charge you to bring in a part over night. I work at a chrysler dealer[have for 15 years]. If we need a part over night from the toronto warehouse,the cust sure as heck does not have to pay for that service.
  • aerio51aerio51 Member Posts: 2
    quickg,

Why don't you try the dealership in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. They are open till 12:30 am and you can take it after work. That's what I do. The only problem is you have to call to make an appointment and sometimes it takes two or three weeks. But their service is worth it. I almost bought my car at the dealership on Queens Blvd.(the one you are referring to)but the the Bay Ridge dealer ended up finding the car I wanted. Have you ever been to their (queens) actual repair shop? It's about 2 or 3 miles away. It's a dump!! I always take my car to the Bay Ridge location for repairs, oil changes etc...Maybe they can help you once and for all.
    My dealer does pay for over-night air freight when they are in the middle of a large job or doing warranty work. However, when they are doing a job on an older out of warranty vehicle that the customer is paying for they give the customer a choice of methods and delivery time. This is not unusual and many dealers go ahead and use overnight shipping but add the cost to the part price and the customer never knows the difference.
    Well I can truly say that has never happened at any dealer i have worked for. In warranty or out,if we "need" the part asap,that cost has NEVER been passed on to the customer. I have to say though,if a part has to come from toronto,in most cases it is shipped ground freight. But it will not be put on a regular stock order. Mine you,we are also a big dealer and we also get a daily order as well as a stock order once a week. The daily order comes from the local warehouse. Which in my case is band new and very big. There is talk that M.B. will use part of it as a regional warehouse.
  • chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    My dealer's body shop will have the glass Tuesday.
    Central FL to Harrisburg, PA, was driven in 14+ hours on 2.5 tanks of gas. Mileage was 35, 34, 33 mpg - DC traffic cut the last tank down. I used minimal a/c and did 70+ mph the majority of the trip.
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    I really like the car. However, I think that the molding at the exterior bottom of the door was added without thought to the possible problems that curbs might add. No, I don't agressively open and close my doors. I try to be very careful. Despite this, I've somehow managed to loosen the molding at the rear edge of each front door, right by the B piller. I'm thinking of getting a supply of super glue to try to re-attach the molding to a pad that appears to be an adhesion point between the molding and the door's outer skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem? How have you coped with it? If I have to re-glue the molding to the car body every few months, I might as well remove the thing completely. (Shudder!)

-d
    I assume you are talking about the lower body cladding and not the optional door mouldings that can be added later. Mine have been on for 15 months now with no problem yet but I am curious how they are attached. Adhesive or clips or double sided tape. Take it back to the dealer and have them do it under warranty. A body shop could figure it out real fast but watch out trying to use super glue unless you work fast.
    i'm pretty sure the moulding is held on with clips and maybe double sided tape. I've seen pictures on some other web sites and that what it looks like to me. But for sure,I would take it back the dealer.
  • commuter100commuter100 Member Posts: 6
    I just took my new Aerio in for its first oil change at 3,000 miles and when the mechanic (ASE Certified Goodyear Tire and Auto) tried to remove the oil filter he broke a tool, and when he finally got the filter out, the threaded stub came out of the engine block with. After calling the Suzuki Service Department and discussing it, the Goodyear mechanic also removed the stub (stud?) from the filter and found the damage from the filter being forced on. I was present and involved for everything that transpired. This damage was done at the factory in Japan I assume, since I bought the car with under 100 miles on it.

Has anyone ever heard of a Suzuki with this problem? The mechanic and the Suzuki service department both admitted this happens very infrequently.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    How did the mechanic eventually get the stud out of the filter? I don't doubt that it could have been over-tightened at the factory, but equally I don't doubt that the Goodyear mechanic messed up somehow. I had a tire repaired at a Goodyear branch once, and couldn't figure out what was causing the clunking noise from my front end until I looked at the wheel. 2 lug nuts completely missing, the rest loose - my wheel was about to fall off.

BTW, I'm not picking on Goodyear - it could happen anywhere, in any industry.
  • commuter100commuter100 Member Posts: 6
    The oil filter with the stud sticking out of it was brought to me in the waiting room of the Goodyear dealer. We called the Suzuki service department (I bought it 50 miles away from home) and asked them if we should stop now, or try to get the two apart and he said to try. They had to vice the stud to unscrew the oil filter. The stud ended up scratched in the center and the oil filter was pretty dented up. I then had the car towed to Suzuki and it is there now. The service writer there suggested that maybe the Goodyear dealer caused the damage, but after I explained everything, he agreed it must have been a factory-caused problem. I expect it to be a warranty repair, but he might be calling the factory rep. I will be watching to see if anyone else has this problem, but, assuming the filters are installed manually rather than robotically, it's not likely.
  • theloneabalonetheloneabalone Member Posts: 2
    I had something similar although less tragic. I did all of my changes on my previous car, a tercel. when I was trying to do my first oil change on the aerio, the filter would just not budge. I used three different tools (including a really nasty clamp that dented the filter) to no avail. I had to take the car to an oil change place (ugh) in order to have the filter removed.
    I had a Suzuki mechanic warn me to always use the oil filters supplied by Suzuki as they are small and must be designed properly to be effective. His contention was that if you were going to change your own oil or take it to Jiffy Lube, Goodyear, etc. then take a filter with you and make them use it. Save the receipts for warranty purposes in case something breaks down and you then have proof for Suzuki that the car has been serviced. Makes some sense. What do you think??
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    An update for the curious: my dealer is ordering parts to fix the bottom door molding/cladding. Yes, the parts did come w/the car, and can be seen in many of the promotional pictures on this & Suzuki's site.

I'm still concerned about the longevity of the eventual repair. So far, I've been able to see at least one nearby owner of the sedan "give up" and rip off both bottom front door claddings/ moldings. The plastic anchor points left behind aren't too flattering.

Because the car is still a rare breed around where I live, I haven't been able to sneak a peek of others' vehicles to see whether the problem is prevalent.

-d
    We have had our Aerio for 16 months now and have not experienced that problem yet. I see more Aerios on the road here in Tucson all the time and a couple of the rental fleets here have several of the sedans but I have never noticed the problem you speak of. I think the European and Japanese Aerios dont have this cladding and they look cheap and different because of it. If it becomes a common problem they will probably beef it up.
    Getting a clunk from the front end in certain steering situations....slow moving parking lots when backing/turning then changing direction and also when turning into our driveway (right turn, slight upslope) when the weight shifts to the left front wheel. (clunk seems to be coming from that area). Also noticed a slight bulge or bubble in the sidewall of the right front tire. 20,000 kms so far (13,000 mi)....will get it checked out at the next service. Any ideas, anyone?
    I had 2 of my tires replaced a year ago and they had a special road force or load force machine at Discount Tire that proved they were defective. A few cars had a wrong wheel bearing that made noise and some needed a different anti rattle clip on the front brakes. Dealer should have them and it is under warranty.
    We had the brake clunk clips installed awhile ago and haven't noticed any of those clunks since. This just occurs when steering/manouvering at slow speeds when there is some left/right inertia shift. I'm wondering what my options would be if the tire is found to be defective. We have 20,000 kms on them.....well, in reality, maybe 15-16,000 as we have separate winter tires. Would replacing the defective one only cause any handling problems? Would I be dealing with Yokahoma, as tires seem to be covered by their manufacturer, not the auto maker? Would I be charged pro-rata based on the mileage on the originals?
    You will probably have to take the tire to a Yokahoma tire dealer to be inspected. If there is a bulge in it you might have a broken belt. I would guess they will pro-rate it and the original equipment tires are not rated to last very long. I traded mine in when they were almost new for a much better Yokohoma tire. My 2 defective tires were replaced free of charge as they were almost new. Have you hit a pot hole lately? Have the dealer drive yours to listen for the clunk. It might be the wheel bearing problem that a few cars had. Wait a minute? Do you own an Aerio or Nissan?
    I have a 2002 Aerio and a 95 Sidekick I bought recently with 94,000 miles on it and it runs great. We are considering using the old Sidekick more to keep the mileage down on the Aerio as we hope to keep it a long time. How many miles have you put on your old Suzuki products? I dont think 200,000 miles is out of the question or am I just dreaming?
    Hi all,

I was driving around yesterday on one bar and decided to hop onto the freeway to get to the next exit as there was a gas station that was there. As soon as I got onto the freeway my car started to sputter and spat. I ran out of gas (hadn't ran out of gas in years). My car came within a 200 yards of the offramp so I was about 400 yards from the gas station I was intended to go to. I was thinking of leaving the car and walking to get some gas but here in California you can get a ticket if you leave your car on the freeway unattended (even though you have hazard lights on). So I decided to use Suzuki's roadside assistance. Its the first time I have ever used a manufacturers roadside assistance. I have to say theirs was great. In fact better than AAA. I called them up and within a half hour they had a someone deliver me 2 free gallons of gas. No questions ask! Sizuki's the best!

Happy motoring!

thought I could make it to the next gas station
    Hi all,

I live in southern California about 25 miles from Brea where Suzuki's US Headquarters is located. I decided to take a drive there and look around.

In their parking lot they had a 2004 Aerio SX, Verona and Forenza.

Aerio SX: This is practically the same car. From the exterior only thing that has changed is the wheels. They are 5 spoke and look a little cleaner with less indentations and creases (I lot the 2002/2003 better). Apparently they have a new engine which is a 2.3 ltr 155 hp but of course I couldn't see that. The interior they made some really nice improvements. The biggest I could see was that the shifter (auto) and steering wheel are both leather wrapped (looked really nice), all door knobs are chrome (I bought the chrome ones for my car). The door handles (which you use to open the door) are all painted silver - same color as our radio dials. You also get a center arm rest for the drivers seat. Its attached to the drivers seat.

Verona/Forenza: The fit and finish of these cars are top notch. The panel gaps are narrower than our Aerio SX and the paint job was right on par with Aerio (this is one thing I thought that Suzuki really did well in). The ineterior materials I think are first rate. Equivalent to both Toyota and Honda. They are both a step above our Aerio as far as the look and quality of the interior plastics. The interior fit was great! Both the Verona and Forenza both have nicely added silver accents - a little more than the Aerio. They look less painted and more true metal.

I think I am going to take a closer look today.

Happy motoring all.
    Shawn, at one time I believe you were looking for Hyundai or did you change your mind and get a Suzuki?? Good choice. How long had you been driving down on one bar on the guage? I assume it was blinking. Our Aerio has 2 gallons left when it goes to one bar and about 1 gallon when it starts blinking. I would like to meet some of the people at the Brea headquarters but Im 500 miles away. However I have written to some of them with nice replies following. I am anxious to drive a Verona with the inline six and I wonder where that engine originated?
    Hi frenchcar,

I previously had a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS (a very good car) in which I traded it in for a 2003 Aerio SX almost a year ago. Maybe you are confusing with someone else.

If you want to get a gathering at Suzuki's Hqtrs send me an email.

The Verona I believe is made by Daewoo.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    After recently returning from a trip, we were down to the second last bar (the one b4 the blinking one). About 10km into a 50km round trip to drop someone off, the second last bar disappeared and the blinking one came on. I really didn't want to fill up until the next day, as I was expecting gas prices to drop a bit, so I completed the trip and drove home. The next morning, I went to get gas and could only cram about 46 litres of gas in (I think the tank holds 50), so I still had about 4 litres to spare, even after driving 40km with the blinking bar. I actually wish Suzuki would change their set up a bit .... wish the last bar wouldn't blink but would remain solid and then have a low fuel warning light come on when you have a gallon or so (or a few litres) left.
    Did you happen to see what the new fuel economy ratings are for the 2.3 liter Aerio? I can't imagine they will be good but this car definitely needed some more power. I sure hope they made the engine smoother and more willing to rev.
    I sat in a new 2004 Suzuki Verona today. WOW This is a large car made to compete with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. The fit and finish and paint and trim were top notch. This was the top of the line model with full leather, sunroof, automatic climate control, standard 6 cylinder engine (inline) and too many other options to mention here. Very comfortable, huge trunk and large back seat, neat white faced instruments, wood trim and the doors close with a quality thump sound you only find in more expensive cars. The engine compartment is a work of art. This is an impressive car that Suzuki and GM collaberated on and it is built at the Daewoo plant in South Korea but designed in Italy and I understand the engine was actually a German design. I think they have a real winner here. Didnt get to drive one but I prefer to wait until they have a demo car with lots of miles on it. This one was dark red with dark tint and gray leather. Sharp combination and it was $19,900 and the cheap one is $16,900 and is a real bargain at that price.
  • HankrHankr Member Posts: 100
    ... is little more than an updated Daewoo Leganza... designed by Daewoo with all Daewoo components.

Suzuki / GM have not had time to impact anything in this car's design except for some badging. They only took over (part of) Daewoo little more than a year ago, and in that deal are forced to take the production output of the one Daewoo factory they did NOT buy. That's where these units come from.

Whether this car turns out to be good or not remains to be seen... but it is still a Daewoo, sold by Suzuki, which probably does not bode well for resale value.

I am an Aerio owner, so don't flame me, but these are the facts.
    Yes I am aware that the body shell is the Leganza with a different grille, head and tail lights but GM and Suzuki have had almost a years lead time to fine tune and improve body and paint fit and finish and substitute parts from different suppliers. I will reserve final jusgment until I have had a chance to drive one or two of them but the little tweaks they have made so far are rather impressive. Please tell me where the inline 6 cylinder engine came from since Daewoo didnt have one. A salesman tried to tell me it was either a Porsche or BMW design. GM has a sweet inline 6 in the Trail Blazer but it is much larger or does Chevy have a smaller version? GM is now part owner of and is sharing info, designs and parts with Suzuki, Isuzu and Subaro. The Aerio AWD system from Subaru is one example. Nothing new or unusual about any os this. Many of the new Kia models are reworked Hyundais, SAABs are part Saab, GM and Opel now, and I remember the last Packards in 1958 that were reworked Studebakers and the Hudsons that became Nash derivitives. Im just afraid that the press road testers will be biased as usual and give the Verona a bad rap even if it is a worthy effort. I remember the first Honda here with chain drive that broke down every 5,000 miles and the first Subaru that was a tiny and funny looking mini car that was laughable and my first Toyotas in 70 and 72 had many problems. The press gave them a hard time until they got big and now it is tough for them to criticize what is popular. As Hyundai has grown dramatically they have quit criticizing them. Suzuki's turn is next but in the meantime I remain loyal.
This discussion has been closed.