Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• nhsjrnhsjr Member Posts: 15
    Update from post 732. I got some slick 50, oil and filter a few weeks ago, drove my car up on some ramps, and, even with a filter wrench could not get the thing off. Glad I tried that b4 draining the oil. Took the stuff and drove to my Suzuki dealer who decided to be kind and use my stuff and do the job for $10 so I'll plug them. John Decker Alexandria, LA.
    Anyway, with just over 5000mi on the clock my car runs great. I experienced some rattling in the door panels which has gone away by it self and I wish the car rode just a little smoother, but for what it is (and what I paid) I got a real bargain.
    I wish the automotive press wasn't so clueless about Suzuki?
  • redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    Just back from a 5000 km trip to Nova Scotia. Drove back through U.S.A. Very nice.

So far all is well. No problems, squeeks or rattles or oil usage. With some 12hr drives, the seats have proved to be great. Also did some touring with five adult passengers. Cozy.

One observation. This is not a car for the mountains. Auto downshifts can be pretty dramitic. Five speed would be OK. Highway fast lanes are just fine.

To improove things Suzuki should borrow some of those numerous cuby holes from the Toyota echo. There is just not enough place to put your stuff.

So far, very happy.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for the updates. Glad to hear your vehicles are serving your well. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    Glad you enjoyed your Aerio on the long trip but we have enjoyed Mountain driving in our Aerio automatic. We always take ours out of overdrive and punch it hard in 2nd and 3rd on the way up and lock it into 2nd or 3rd on the way down for engine braking and find it corners briskly and holds the road well and is much fun. Recently climbed 5,000 feet in a 12 mile twisty switchback type road and came back down in no time at all as we lucked out with no traffic. It took a good 7,000 miles to feel broken in and of course the K&N air filter and Mobil One oil have made a big difference and we had put on different tires when it was new. We had years of practice when we lived in Colorado with all the high mountains they have and dont get into nearly as many in Arizona. Mine would probably poop out at 12,000 feet but the 2004 will have a larger engine and Im sure that is because the AWD versions are slower. Im sure the 5 speeds are a blast but our automatic is smooth and I dont notice dramatic downshifts except in overdrive in hilly terrain and that is why we click it off now and then.
  • gregoriusmgregoriusm Member Posts: 61
    The 2.3 engine is rated with better gas mileage than the 2.0, for everyone's information.
    Have any of you had a chance to test drive a new 04 Aerio yet with the larger engine?? My dealer just got a few in but I have not been able to get in there just yet. Im really curious.
    1989 Sidekick(new)...Red,5 speed,2dr Hardtop. So much fun, go anywhere. No slowing for RR tracks!

Door bottoms, and hinges rusted out at the frame at 100KM. Suzuki repaired hinges no charge. Had the door frame cut out and new factory one put in, then repainted. Like new.

Bent rear axle, from driving on pavement in 4WD. (other family member)Traded in on next below.

1991 Swift GT (used),white,5 speed,2dr,100 hp. What a blast to drive. Nothing like waking up a sleepy Smokey at night doing 145KM. Yes the ticket hurt. Said goodby at 150KM. Chassis rust very evident but body only minor.

Current cars, 2003 Aerio SX AWD and 2002 Civic SIR Hatch.

My advice....maintain wery well, don't be cheap. Wash and wax frequently, even if it's the drive through.
  • chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    I will keep the wash and wax in mind. I've got a grimy li'l black hoagie in dire need of a hosedown. 13, 800 miles and all is well.
  • adrake1adrake1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! Longtime reader, first time poster. My wife and I are in the market for a new car, and I've really taken a shine to the Aerio SX -- it seems to be just about the perfect combination of size, interior room and quality. Plus, with the fact that we've got two new Suzuki dealers in town, you can't go wrong.

I'm looking at a red Aerio SX with AWD. The sticker says $17,299. I'm used to negotiation of course, but Edmunds seems to think that it has a TMV of $17,261. Huh?!? $38 difference? I was thinking around $15,800 out the door, maybe less. Am I being too optimistic?

I'd be willing to sacrifice the AWD for ABS, but according to the workup, it's still $17,099 list versus $17,061 TMV. Surely the dealer must deal, right? What should be about right? Obviously, there's incentives on the 03's which will affect the price and I don't think the 04's have any incentives yet.

Thanks everyone!

-Andy
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Glad you've come out of the dark (from lurking) to introduce yourself. Did you also check the "Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value"? Depending on the region you're in, you may see a $2000 Customer Cash incentive, that is being subtracted from the Regional TMV quote. For my region, the Customer Cash adjusted True Market Value is $15,463.

Look for that information near the bottom of the TMV information box. Don't forget that you can also price with options (and zip code) for a more accurate TMV value. Others hre may have more to add.... Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    How do you owners feel about the digital read out dash in your Suzuki? That is one of the only things that is keeping me from buying an SX. Otherwise I like the look of the hatchback.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    THEY SHOULD CHANGE IT TO REAL GAUGES.
  • chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    I have no problem with the gauges. The readouts are brighter than analog ones.
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    I thought the same,but after a day of driving the Aerio I got completely used to it. I can't say enough about the room this car has. And I have 18,000 trouble free KM. It has been driven in minus 35c to plus 37c weather. The heater and A/C are some of the best I have had.
    We have had our Aerio for 15 months now with no problems and this large digital speedometer is THE BEST WE HAVE EVER HAD. Our family has had 76 cars over the past 50 years (including 5 Suzuki products, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Peugeot, Fiat, Chevy, Buick, AMC, Ford, Studebaker, Audi, VW, etc and my first car was a 1940 Chevy. The numbers are large and sit up high and you can glance at it in a split second and never have to study it or take a second look and you can almost see it out of the bottom of your vision while still looking ahead at traffic. VERY SAFE INDEED. Some magazine road testers make fun of it as being old fashioned which is another of many examples of why I often take a dim view of some of the testers and their prejudiced opinions. CHRIS IN # 913 We road tested one 3 different times before buying an Aerio and love it and we checked out 5 other makes too. Buy it or at least try one out.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    its more fun to watch the needles zing around in a circle.
  • pro02pro02 Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking for a replacement for my Ranger truck. I'm tired of the dismal gas mileage. I need a hatchback for the utility. I tow a small sailboat (500 lb. combined boat & trailer) and would like to know if any of you tow with your Aerio SXs or if it is even allowed according to the manual.

Thanks
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I'm pretty sure the owner's manual desn't recommend it.......that being said, I don't think it would be a problem with the small weight of your boat & trailer.......I've seen people towing with old Tercels and Accents.
  • pro02pro02 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the input, wheelz4. The main issue would be the possible voiding of the warranty if towing is actually prohibited in the owner's manual.
    Switching from kph to mph is great.

When your are on vacation and you need to keep a close eye on your speed, I found the digital is better than the analog.
    The Aerio manual says the car is not set up for or intended to tow anything but I suspect it could easily pull a light weight boat. HOWEVER consider this depending on how long the boat is: the Aerio roof structure is very sturdy and can support 3000 pounds as described in some literature that Suzuki gave to their salesmen back when the Aerio was introduced in March of 02. There are 3 sturdy braces in the floor, up the side pillars and across the top. The catch here is that many roof racks only support 100 to 150 pounds so you have to find or make a sturdy one. A lot depends on if you are going long or short distances. The Sidekick and Vitara models are set up for towing but dont have the gas mileage or car like smoothness that the Aerio does.
    While suzuki usa and suzuki canada do not recommend towing with the aerio,I find it odd that in england and australia you can. Those cars also come with a smaller engine and have a factory accessory hitch available.
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    Sounds like a vaguely sneaky way to get customers to Buy the Truck(tm). Sad, really sad. A few weeks ago, my brother asked me to help him move a refrigerator to his house. He had a novel idea, hook up a rental trailer to my car for the move. I was ready to go until I read over the (non-)towing specs for the car. Although the car has potential extensions where a tow bar could be placed, I couldn't use it. Ended up renting a GMC V8 P/U, way too powerful for the application.

-d
  • shambach819shambach819 Member Posts: 1
    hi i just bought a 2003 aerio sx awd @ 10 weeks ago. i live in central pa. around some hills and mountain area and when i go up hills it seams to wind up to @ 4000 rpms before the automatic shifts into the final gear,at this rpm it feels like it should be shifting sooner like at 3000 rpm.any comments thanks!
  • commuter100commuter100 Member Posts: 6
    My 2003 Aerio SX has all the available options (there are only 2 - ABS and automatic) out the door for $15,800 last July. Have fun negotiating.

PS: Regsrding the digital display. I like it - very user friendly. My 8 yr old granddaughter noticed it and thinks it is the best dashboard display around. Every time she rides in the car, she mentions how cool it is.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I was just looking at the Suzuki website and noticed a lot of little changes for 04 besides the bigger engine. Some of the changes must have occured due to complaints like mine.

Here is a list of changes:

heater mirrors standard (thank god! a much needed addition)

leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob (one of the things I upgraded while an owner)

standard center armrest (another thank god)

standard subwoofer located under the driver's seat in addidtion to the 6 other speakers (I bet the already great stereo kicks butt now)

silver painted door handles and chrome door lock knobs (should eliminate the cheap looking door handles)

lever type height adjustment for the driver's seat, instead of the hard to turn knob.

available automatic climate control (only available on ABS equipped models; an interesting option in this price class)

and lastly, a smoother finish to the 5 spoke alloy wheels. No more annoying nook and cranies to dig brake dust out of.

Suzuki must be listening. They still didn't listen about offering 16" wheels and a power sunroof though. Oh, and the mileage dropped to a disappointing 25/31. What are everyone else's thoughts on these changes?
    Generally positive, save for the poorer gas mileage....think Suzuki needs to work on some variable valve timing to get their mpg #'s up there with Toyota & Honda.
    Seat height lever is great (+ it raises the whole seat....it doesn't just pivot the cushion like the current one)....wish we could swap our front seats!
    We already had heated mirrors standard on the SX in Canada.
    Trim changes should brighten up the interior somewhat....armrest would be welcome.
    The new alloys look good....because of their design, the track looks a bit wider.

Btw, had our front wheel clunk fixed (under warranty) at the dealer....tsb w.r.t front bearings/steering knuckles for some 2002 models.
    Clunk is gone, so we're happy.
    Saw this link on another site....shows a new Aerio grill and analogue instruments. I think the new interior is definitely classier-looking than the current one. The ground effects are more subtle, not as low and lose that "tacked-on" look.
    Even though I don't have a problem with the current digital dash (I do like being able to switch from km's to miles when we go to the States), the analogue dash/new centre stack looks way better. Since we've already seen the 2004, either these changes are a mid-year freshening or we may get them in 2005. Oh, I almost forgot....
    the link!
    http://www.suzuki.co.jp/motorshow2003/automobiles/aerio/index2.ht- ml
    I followed the link you supplied but it is not clear if that is our North American Aerio for 2005 or if it is the 2004 model for Asia and Europe. The original European and Asian models had no cladding at the bottom edge of the doors and looked strange and cheap compared to ours. This new set up looks nice and could serve all markets. My 2002 runs so great and is still trouble free and we will probably keep it a long time especially if they eliminate the digital speedometer that we love so much and we dont like the middle rear seat belt coming out of the headliner. Perhaps it can be removed.
    I believe that is a navigation system screen where our radio controls would be and that is the tip off that this is a Japan model as the originals had a navigation set up right from the start in 2001. Checked out some other pages and links and saw side air bags as an option and that was unique to global models other than North America. The 2 tone upholstery looks the same as our 2002 models and it is better than the USA 2003 models.
  • tictac2tictac2 Member Posts: 12
    Just passed 10,000 miles on my 2003 SX and love the car more every day. Leaving in a couple of days for a trip from Denver to Vegas to Phoenix and back. No doubts that the car will perform very well. Actually hoping for a little snow in the mountains (haven't been able to play with the AWD yet).
       As for the upgrades on the 2004:
    -- The armrest is not the same as the center console armrest that has been available as an after market. It is attached to the drivers seat leaving the passenger without the comfort and eliminating the much needed storage space
    -- The heated mirrors I agree thank god
    -- Additional hsp would be nice but have had no lack of power except when loaded on mountain roads
    -- The flat spoke wheels would be MUCH easier to clean but the look is a little plain

But, I must say there is nothing the car is missing that would make me want to trade it away.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    I was impressed with the quality and the price when I sat in one at an auto show this weekend. I was wondering if someone could comment on what I"ve been reading about the handling. I've read a lot of things like "sloppy handling" and "loud engine." The engine noise, I could probably live with, but are there suspension modifications out there for this car that would reduce the roll and make it more sporty?
    Hi Frank, we have a 2002 Aerio SX with 18000 miles and no problems at all and love it more each day. We traded in a 2000 Ford Focus ZTS on it as we were tired of and afraid of all the Focus re-calls. (however the Focus does have one of the better suspensions around) When you stomp hard on the gas the Aerio engine does produce a fairly loud growl but I like it and even think it is tuned into the exhaust system on purpose to sort of match some of the aftermarket systems. Quiet when cruising. We changed to a different Yokohoma tire selection and carry a little more air pressure and find the steering to be quick and positive and the suspension to be firm but adequate. Came down a very steep twisty mountain road recently (12 miles long and no traffic) at above speedlimit speeds and it was a blast and very little lean. We think it is a practical fun car with lots of space, comfort and value and have owned other Suzuki products. We also checked out the Matrix, Vibe, Protege 5, VW Golf and Elantra before buying our Aerio. Took about 5000 miles to really feel broken in and have added a K & N air filter and Mobile One and they made a nice difference. Hope this helps. Try a couple of them out.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the response. I have a 2001 Focus Zx3 now and my dilemma is directly related to your comment about "better suspensions around" AND all the recalls. I test drove a Carolla, Matrix and Civic. NONE of them drove like the Focus... I can whip around corners with such ease. My perfect car would be a Focus built by Honda.

I'm really for just one more damned thing to break on the Focus before I snap and get rid of it. When it's good, it's REALLY good, but when it's bad, I want to toss it off a cliff.
    You won't find Focus-like handling on the Aerio. The car stands high on small 15" wheels, giving it a tippy feeling, a good amount of lean, and average grip. The Matrix handled better imo, mostly due to the larger tires. Aftermarket performance products are hard to find for this car too. There just isn't much interest in a slow selling Suzuki.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Progress is a well respected manufacturer of aftermarket suspension pieces, and I think are about the only one that supply springs and rear sway bars specifically for the Aerio. I have a set of both, and they look lovely sitting in my garage. One day I will put them on! They drop the car 1.5 - 1.75" and I have heard from many Aerio owners that they really improve the handling. As it is, the car is a little "tippy" due to the high center of gravity, but compared to my previous car, a '99 Trooper, it's like an F1 Ferrari.
    May be similar to the ones already shown, but this site has a few pix of the slightly restyled Aerio with the analogue gauges.
    http://www.auto-g.jp/news/200311/07/newcar03/index.html
    The re-style only affects the base versions of the Aerio, at least in Japan, which is the 1.5l
    version. The 1.8 in both sedan and hatch (equivalent to our "SX") remains the same.I think it's a good move, as the base models here always looked a little funny....weak-kneed, if you like,
    while the SX versions looked pretty good. All models get the new interior/analogue gauges, so it's only a matter of time before they show up here. I guess Suzuki was tired of listening to complaints from auto journalists. I certainly don't mind the digital ones and it's handy when going to the states and you can switch back and forth between miles and kms, but if I had my choice, I think the new gauges/interior look much classier.
    (You can see this on the Japanese Suzuki website:
    www.suzuki.co.jp
    I love the new interior. Huge improvement imo! The plastics look to be of higher quality and the whole design just looks a lot classier. The exterior looks more refined as well. The grille gets rid of the slightly funky look of the front and the deletion of the lower door cladding is a welcome improvement. If this had been what the Aerio looked like from the beginning, I think the car would have been a bigger hit.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I love the new look. Any clue when it will come to the U.S. The digital was the only thing keeping me from buying an SX.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    just called my cousin in Japan, and he told me some of the facts of their freshened Aerio

just like our 2003-2004 XL7s, new interiors and styling updates are always "tested" in Japan first, to see how customers react to the new changes

some new changes for our 2005 Aerio:
    -standard brushed aluminum
    -electronic automatic climate control
    -electroluminescent gauges (ala XL7/GV)
    -new grill and foglights
    -and bigger dashboard tweaters
    -lights on dashboard (stereo, A/C) are in a reddish/orange color (like the current Aerio's stereo display)

those are just some of the things he mentioned..HOPE THIS HELPS!!
  • teets18teets18 Member Posts: 28
    Hi;
    I have a automatic AWD Aerio SX with only 1200 miles. I am noticing what sounds like tire noise from the rear of the car at arround 35 mph( Geolander v rates). It happens consistently at 35 mph + or - a few. Has any one had/have this problem? Also, does anyone have a fix for the common door buzzes yet? Thanks teets.18@osu.edu
    teets18 are you driving with the rear shelf out and the rear seats down? I notice with my car,SX fwd the road noise worse that way. i would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I had my door buzzes fixed. Just some hard foam that comes off the trim panel in most cases.
    Hey;
      Thanks for the reply davidd5; I'm taking my sx to the dealer tomorrow morning regarding the tire noise. I'm a tech turned salesman at Firestone; It seems almost sac religious to let someone else work on my car. I hope that doesn't stop me from going their tommorow(remember, breath slowly and take baby steps).
      Where is everybody? Checking my spam is becoming more interesting than visiting a slow site.
    Don't know what gives; I saw your message, then left the site, came back and it was not appearing. Hope your gonna see this one.
       Went to the dealer, he thinks the humming noise is "normal drivetrain noise for an AWD." It would be interesting to hear other AWD owner's reactions.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    An email was sent to you and bounced. Could you please update your email address to one that is current? Many thanks.
    to please keep a current email address in your profile. If a post is removed, we do send an email informing you of the reason.
    Hi Sylvia.......that address certainly should be valid, however I've put in an alternate that should work as well. I know you have your reasons for not allowing links to other forums and I'm ok with that......rules are rules.....i was just trying to explain it to davidd5, although since his posts were removed too, I assume he would've gotten an email explanation as well.
    It'll be interesting to see if the Suzuki Swift+ (sister car to the Chevy Aveo) will have any effect on Aerio sales. It is in a smaller size and price class, so I guess there won't be too much overlap.
    Thanks guys - carry on...and I must say, I've been looking at the Aerio, pretty nice!
    Wheelz4, no I have not ever gotten an e-mail as to why my posts were deleted. What is so wrong with letting someone know about another web site that may interest them?
This discussion has been closed.