Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    ...and I'd consider one. The turbo has given it the personality it should have had to start off with. The content is all there and the price is pretty darn good for what you get--especially on the base model turbo. But it just is not too good in the hauling department.

Till then I guess I will stick with my 1992 Toyota Red Neck Pick Up.

TWRX

PS, just got to thinking, has anybody seen an Element in that olive green? Reminds me of a baby Hummer. Maybe the military should save about $90000 and get army green Elements!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yep, popular color. I always thought they should have a yellow one, that's a popular H2 color.

Baja hasn't met sales expectation, but Element has exceeded them by nearly double. Price is probably a big part of that.

-juice
  • ellenst2ellenst2 Member Posts: 11
    I hope that rumor about discontinuing is wrong. I really like my Baja and it would really stink if I couldn't get another. I'm starting to see alot more on the roads. Does anyone have the link to the sales numbers to see if they are selling better?
    Autoweek has an article on that this week. Subaru is saying it's 50/50 right now, cancel or update. It would go on until at least MY2006, they say, which is strange since the 2005 Legacy is already on the new platform.

Baja was projected to sell 20k per year but they're on pace for 9k this year, even after the turbo was intro'd.

-juice
  • ellenst2ellenst2 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully, as more get on the road the sales will increase. I still meet alot of people who've never seen or heard of the Baja. I rarely see it mentioned in the Subaru commercials.

Off topic, does anyone know where I can get ventshades for the Baja? I've been to a bunch of places and no one can find it in the catalogs.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    the concept of a Baja vehicle is very solid, it is just that many men, including myself at 6'3", just can't fit into it (sob). I would trade my Forester in if Subaru had a Baja with the same size interior as the Forester. Note, the main problem is the head room.

John
    It's odd, you can't get one without a moonroof, at all.

-juice
    the moonroof is the issue--it takes away about one and a half to two inches. Also, it creates a maintenance issue, and has little value in central CA where it is either 30 degrees or 100 degrees with only a few days in between in which the moonroof might be enjoyable.

John
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I just went to take our Forester XT for its 7,500 mile service. Wandering around the dealership, I counted 5 brand new 2003 Bajas on the lot.
    "Towing capacity (with towing package) is 5,000 lbs. The bed is 5 feet long with "innovative ties downs" whatever that means. Last I heard, Honda was not giving it a pass-through. They said that Avalanche owners hardly ever used it.

Estimated mileage is 16/21."

Not quite what I was expecting, the engine/mileage part should be mid 20's. My guess is the Baja Turbo has better hp and torque, plus it should give at least 23+ mpg. The Honda SUT must be extra heavy in order to handle the 5,000 lbs towing. A redesigned BT with greater cabin and towing would fare well against this Honda.

John
    That's a decent tow rating for Honda, I think the Pilot gets 3500 lbs.

Mileage ain't so hot, but let's see the output of the engine first.

-juice
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    In market for compact crew cab, and for now I'm waiting for 05' models. Test drove all the 04'crew cabs trucks, not too happy. All were slugs handling, were gas hogs, and no manual transmissions available. So I gave the Turbo Baja a try. Drove it for 25 miles and it was a blast. However, its smaller than I thought, body wise and bed especially. With an unacceptable load rating of 850 lbs, I could easily overload car with 4 friends And equipment just going skiing. I mention the bed cause a bike can barely fit and forget skis unless passthrough is open which would be quite cold in winter, and only 2 could go... So my question, I see the new platform for Outback (bigger, higher towing, and bigger engine) Will they re-do the BAJA? Would be nice to see a 50 in bed, 60/40 split passthrough, higher load rating and towing, and w/ 250 ponies to a manual. I'd be first in line....
    They say it's 50/50. I'd lean towards no, slow sales for the current model mean they'll be once bitten, twice shy.

Their next model will be the 7 seater, I bet from now on they offer more traditionally segmented products.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My understanding is the Baja will (unfortunately) remain on the current platform through MY2006. Whether it remains, and with a new body beyond that, is anybody's guess at this point. The odds don't look promising, however...

Bob
    I second your vision, I will have over $1500 Subaru Bucks saved up by 2007, and I want to see that 25 mpg BT-MT on a large platform. Instant sale, I will be second in line (behind you :-))

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. The chat room opens about 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, so stop on in, even if it's just to say Hello! All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too. Come on in and get to know some of your fellow Town Hallies better! See you there...

Subaru Crew Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    i noticed all 2005 specs are up except Forester. No more leather package and no more Baja yellow. Red should look good. I suppose they are trying to keep the price low on Baja by having only cloth seat models.
    the yellow is gone. There are other new colors too, mostly from the new Legacy/Outback color palette, I think. There's a monotone Garnet Red Pearl, and the Black is now Obsidian Black. I think some of the other colors have changed too. I've seen the '05 Baja in red, gray & black; two turbos, and one sport.

From what I can see, only the colors have changed. The '05 Baja is the only '05 Subaru that continues with white-letter tires, and it does not have the new cruise control stalk that other '05 Subies now have.

Bob
    Did prices drop when leather was deleted?

I think they should drop the MSRP, even if that means no rebates, then advertise the new lower price.

-juice
    The turbo was still $25K+ as I recall.

Bob
  • oceaneeroceaneer Member Posts: 1
    According to SOA the leather Turbo will be here in September, and will have a locking bed cover standard - manufacturer unknown but not Penda or SnugTop. At least that was the gist of an email I got from SOA this week.
    I'm not surprised about a different vender supplying the hard bed cover. I was talking to a Subie dealer the other day, and he mentioned that the hard covers currently available have been nothing but trouble. They don't fit well and the quality is lousy.

Bob
  • scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    I'm interested in the practicality of a truck but prefer car-like handling. I looked at the Baja today at the dealer and it did seem kinda small, even compared to the little Mercury Tracer wagon I drive now. I'll stay tuned to see if it grows on me, or just gets a bit roomier down the road.

Marc
    Bob - maybe that affected their CR score? Baja scored poorly per CR.

-juice
  • moraisinsmoraisins Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I'm new to this message board, but am very interested in the Baja and would like to hear any thoughts on the reliability of the Baja. I was curious as to why it got such a poor reliability rating, it got a BLACK CIRCLE! Which should effect my view of it, but oddly it doesn't. I'm that interested in the vehicle.

anyway, if anyone has any ideas why it got a bad CR rating or reasons why CR is wrong and it's a superb reliable product, please let me know. I would love to hear your opinions!

-moraisins
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Previous speculation which sounds reasonable to me has something to do with the small sample size. Cars in general have become so much more reliable and the Baja sales have been so small, that the poor rating of the Baja may be just a statistical anomaly - i.e. a small number of cars in the sample with a higher than normal amount of problems skewed it.
    thanks for responding atlgaxt!

That makes sense. It's strange Subaru would actually make a car of poor reliability since the chassi is pretty much the same as the Outback.

These reviews have been really helpful, I'm about 95% sold. everyone seems to love their baja. Does the small rear view window ever become a problem? I drive a '95 toyota camry right now and the rear window is huge, but I noticed the baja has a pretty small rear window.

Thanks for writing back. If anyone else has any opinions on the CR rating, I'd love to hear them.

thanks!
    moraisins
    Yes - in my opinion the old cargo cover had a lot to do with it. The cargo cover was rattly, in fact they went ahead and changed suppliers.

If every owner that got one complained, that'll surely sway the numbers. I bet next year it's average or better.

-juice
    hmm, interesting...I'm sure a rattly cover would push down the ratings.

If these are the reasons CR gave the baja such a low reliability score, I don't really count those as problems. I thought it would be more issues with safety or engine problems - which are a big deal. No ones really mentioned any engine problems so far within these reviews, so maybe CR is being overly cautious because the baja is new.

Thanks juice!
    moraisins
    and they had several new '05 Bajas on the lot, and mostly turbos. The Baja is now available in that great looking new Atlantic Blue Pearl monotone, that's also found on the '05 Outbacks and Legacys. it looks very handsome in that color.

Bob
    I think SOA is doing the best they can with the Baja, but boy, it's still going to be a tough sell, with the new Outback sitting side-by-side. I just hope they offer more Baja turbos this year, because I think that's the only Baja that will offer any hope for the Baja to continue.

If they offer more turbo Bajas, I'm convinced that model will sell. Frankly I think the base Baja Sport is just a dead horse. Just like with the Impreza line, offer (produce!) more turbos, and I think there just might be some hope for a future 2nd-generation Baja. If the Turbo-to-Sport production ratio remains like '04, I think you can kiss the Baja goodbye after MY06.

Bob
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Actually I finally saw my first Baja Turbo on the road thsi weekend. It was a deep blue monotone, and I have to say it looked nice!

I know a few friends who like the Baja, they just wish for a couple of things: make it a 5 passneger, and make the carrying bed bigger.

Mark
    The 2000 Outback was only average, but improved to "better than average" after the first model year and remained there. So maybe you're right, they're just being careful.

It's possible some of the people complained about rattles yet did not diagnose where it was coming from. So CR might not have realized they were for the most part talking about the bed cover.

-juice
    Out of curiousity has anyone driven the Baja Turbo, Forester XT, OB XT & Legacy GT? I'm curious how it stacks up to the rest.

Mark
    Only the F-XT and the GT (AT and MT for both). I should sample the others.

-juice
    That wouldn't happen to be in Dandridge, would it? If so please say hi to Darlene in parts, we really miss her!

-juice
  • jms02050jms02050 Member Posts: 2
    Any idea if the automatic climate control has been changed in the Forester? The large number of complaints about it on this forum have actually kept me from purchasing a 2004 Forester. I'm holding out hope that it has been improved for '05.
    Actually yes, it was changed a bit. I think they moved the location of the temp sensor, something like that.

Those more familiar with HAL in the Forester thread might offer up more information, FWIW.

-juice
    hey all,

Just curious to the milieage between the Sport and Turbo. I know the Turbo is more fun to drive, but the specs say the mileage is 23/mpg (highway) vs. the Sport's 28/mpg - that is a considerable difference in mileage. What do you guys think of your Baja's mileage? I think I would rather have the better mileage over the turbo speed, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Does the turbo really only give you 23/mpg?

thanks!
    moraisins
    Actually, let me rephrase my question and ignore my previous posting:

Is the Turbo engine worth the lower mileage vs. the Sport? This is a fairly subjective question, so I can't see a right/wrong answer, just want to know your opinions.

Thanks!
    moraisins
  • yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2003 Baja Sport with the automatic transmission and 9000 miles. I just finished a long road trip and average 30.002 mpg over 1100 miles. This was driving the posted speed limit. I had varied conditions that included 300 miles of rain, some use of the A/C and some stop and go around a city. Half of the trip was with a moderate load of 4 passengers and luggage. Interestingly the best mileage was posted with the load and intermitted use of the A/C. I don't know how the turbo Baja would do, but I was quite impressed with my Sport.

Any other stories about gas mileage with the Baja?
    wow! that is pretty good, considering the Baja is pretty heavy! I'm thinking of getting one myself, but the mileage is kind of important to me so I'm really glad you answered back! I just want to make sure this car is overall a good buy, this will be my first new vehicle purchase! thanks for the story :)

moraisins
    Yes, typically mileage improves as you break it in. And I mean 10k miles, not 1k miles.

I was getting 22-23 mpg at first, but now, 6 years later, my lifetime average is better than 25mpg in my '98 Forester.

Wait for an '05 - the Forester's mileage just improved to 23/30 with a manual, the Baja might get a similar bump in mpg.

-juice
    from Honda, apparently their SUT is coming out in 2005 with Full time AWD, variable torque, V-6, 5,000 lb tow rating.

They don't seem to be thinking the pass through is essential. Again, I think that Honda is on to something here. If Subaru would super-size their Baja, the two would go head to head.

John
    It's funny because someone surveyed Avalanche owners and they found out people don't use it as often as they thought.

-juice
    Subaru rule 1: they get better than EPA spec on the highway.
    Subaru rule 2: at 15 to 20 k miles the mileage improves dramatically.

98 forester L 5 speed: 30 mpg

02 WRX wagon 30 mpg

03 WRX sedan 29 mpg (only 16 k miles so far)
    that the Baja is sold in Chile?

http://www.subaru.cl/index.asp

I checked the Subaru Global site, but Chile is the only South American country in which the Baja is sold, which seems odd... I mean why Chile of all places?

Bob
    Saw an article in today's NY Times about vehicles such as the Baja. Amongst their comments are:

"The demand for carlike comfort and trucklike utility would seem to assure a steady demand for Subaru's Outback-based Baja and Honda's upcoming SUT among buyers whose lives are full of weekend projects and outdoor activities. No doubt they will do a fine job of carrying the family on Sunday, though their suitability for hauling pigs on Monday may not measure up to that of their predecessors."

So even they feel there is a market for the Baja - now SOA jsut has to market it better so sales can pick up.

Mark
    Oh I do too, and as you know, have been saying from day one. I think this is especially true now that traditional pickups are hell-bent on out-super-sizing one another each time they get re-done.

Bob
    is needed, the cab needs to be expanded. I am 6'3" and my head is in the roof (front and back) on the Baja. I have 3" clearance on my Forester. If SOA is to get any American sales into the pickup/crossover market, they have to deal with this problem.

John