Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    According to the current issue of CR (I know, not one of your favorite magazines), it clearly won out when compared to other midsize competitors. The new Frontier came in a distant second. All of them stickered around $30K, so the MSRP pricing is in line with the competition. Now what dealers are charging, that's another matter all together.

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Yep, there is room for a larger Baja that comes in at $25 k.

I am still looking at the Baja Turbo, if nothing is on the horizon I may yet end up in the loaded version. Apparently the power leather seat offers about 3/4" more headroom when lowered all the way down. Plus there are the heated seats, VTD, sportshift, and hard cover. Invoice is about $26 k with $750 cash back that puts it around $25.3.

Better deal than the $30k mid-size trucks and better mpg, but losing out on payload and room.

Hmmm.

John
    The only way to get a $25K Baja is to cut content. Remember SOA and dealers need to eat too.

Bob
    well, I agree. With either the H6 Outback, or Tribeca platform, content would have to be cut in order to do it

But, there is a market opportunity for that niche: $25k, 1100 lb payload + passengers, 24 mpg highway, AWD, IRS, 3500lb towing, and a cab for 6 footers.

You are right, sounds like a dream.

The base RT Ridgeline I think has invoice at $27.7K.

But, I think Honda came in too large. Too much HP and too much size. They need a few more mpg.

The current Sport Trac is about the right size. If Subaru came in with a vehicle like that, priced right ($25 k) and 24 mpg, I would buy it. If there was NO competition, I would likely pay $30k. That should be possible for them.

John
  • furbodefurbode Member Posts: 1
    Any word on whether 06 will feature side-impact airbags, or maybe a return to the yellow paint option?

Thanks
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    impressive execution. the thing that scared me was the 10mpg city that CR reported. also have read in the ridgeline threads about the bed being easily scratched.
    Swampy, check out the gas mileage of the other trucks in that same CR test. They're all in the same ballpark. BTW, 10 mpg was a low figure they got, and not the overall average for the Ridgeline IIFC.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My friend just picked up an 05 Frontier. Test drove it compared to the ridgeline and you can't compare really. I mean yeah if you want a minivan w/o the stigma of a minivan or want the pickuptruck bed of the ridgeline and are a to-the-grave Honda person, yeah the ridgeline will do the trick. But to actually compare these 2 in a real world truck situation is laughable. The Ridgeline brochure says the towing package adds "Huge Brakes" and that's a quote. I mean do they expect real buyers to buy into "Huge Brakes" as an acceptable marketing term? I guess when you are marketing to the Honda crowd you can get away with saying it has Huge Brakes but I'd rather see some more useful info on the brakes than "Huge" haaaaaaaaa

Seriously though it lacks the umph of a real truck for any kind of towing capacity and with a FWD based vehicle it's not likely to do well in towing etc. I take it that it uses the same trans as the Pilot which has been reporting poor towing results (burnt oil, slipping up to 4k at highway speeds while towing v. 2500 w/o trailer) Not a good sign for a "truck" to have.

As you said I don't put much faith in magazine reports because they are dealing with a spanking new vehicle in a controlled environment. Show me a test of the ridgeline at say 80k miles and 4 years old and lets see if it's up to the same tasks after towing/hauling at it's limit for say 30-40% of those 80k miles....

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They beefed it up quite a bit but you're right about the issues they've had with that tranny in other vehicles.

I wonder if it has a Powerful Engine and Great Handling to go with those Huge Brakes? ;)

-juice
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    maybe even adjustable seats
  • chip5chip5 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an '04 Baja Turbo (factory demo with 2,500 miles), and I'm trying to decide if should pick up the extended warranty offered by the dealer for $1900 (7-year/100,000mi). It's with a company called "Vehicle Protection Plus, LLC out of Tennessee (I'm in RI).
    Here's the list of coverage:
    link title

I'm concerned that the things that are likely to go wrong with the car are not covered under the warranty.

So my question to all current Baja owners is:
    What, if any, major repairs have you made to your Baja, and what was the approximate odometer reading at the time?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

-Chip
    Chip,

I strongly recommend the Subaru Gold extended warranty. Not only will you get better service, but the price is a lot less (expect it to be about $1200 or so). I got a 6/80k for my '03 Forester XS for $875. You can also use Subaru bucks on it, if you save hard you might even get it for free in a year and a half.

John
  • chip5chip5 Member Posts: 5
    John,

The dealer never offered a Subaru Warranty. Is that only available on new vehicles?
    Mine is an '04 factory demo that went into service in 11/03.

Have you had to use your warranty yet, and if so, what for?

-Chip
    Most factory warranties are available for purchase at any time while the car is still under the BtoB warranty, slightly higher cost as it gets closer to the end of the original warranty.

-mike
  • herbv1herbv1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm considring putting the new style hard cover on my 03 Baja. The local dealer can order it for $335. How does it attach to the baja? How hard is it to install and remove, and does it lock the tailgate? It looks like it has two doors and a pivit rod in the middle of the two doors, which I'm guessing attaches to the sides of the bed of the baja. Any help/information would be appreciated. Subie doesn't do a very good job describing it anywhere.
    Thanks,
    Herb

03 Baja
    A third party unit (not SOA) I'm assuming? If so which brand?

One thing to consider: Any chance of seeing it ahead of time? I know there have been some quality issues with some 3rd-party hard covers. You may want to check one out ahead of time before buying.

Bob
    The Subaru Gold should be available anytime in the first 3 years.

I have never used mine. With 37k, it would just now be starting its protection. It is likely that I never will need it.

Here are the FAQs from subaru.com:

1. What does an Added Security extended service contract cover?
    You may choose from two different levels of coverage:
    Classic plans cover nearly 1000 parts in all major component areas, including engine, transmission, drivetrains, front suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, cooling and fuel systems and air conditioning. Also provides towing and rental car reimbursement for covered repairs.

Gold Plus plans include all Classic plan coverage plus hundreds more parts. In fact they provide essentially the same "bumper-to-bumper" coverage as the basic factory warranty. Only a few maintenance items and body parts are not covered. The Gold Plus plan also reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel, plus: 24-hour emergency roadside assistance*, $100 allowance for "Sign & Drive" dispatched towing, jump start, tire change, gasoline delivery, locksmith service, road hazard tire protection, computerized trip routing, dealer locator service and travel assistance.

2. Does Subaru also have a Maintenance Plan?
    Yes, you can choose the maintenance plan best for you:

2 or 3 years/30,000; 36,000; or 45,000 miles
    Mileage intervals - 3,750 or 7,500
    These plans are especially attractive if you lease your Subaru. You can include the cost in your lease payment. Then with the maintenance plan, your only auto expense may be at the gas pump! And the roadside assistance package is included at no extra cost.

Enables you to lock-in the cost of the scheduled maintenance required to keep your basic factory warranty in force and your car in tip-top running condition.
    Provides service by factory trained technicians
    Guarantees the use of genuine Subaru parts
    Allows your car to be serviced at a quality Subaru dealer at a competitive price

*Roadside assistance services are provided by Cross Country Motor Club, Inc., Boston, MA 02155-6918, except in Alaska, California, Oregon, Wisconsin and Wyoming where services are provided by Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc., Boston, MA 02155-6918.

3. What other benefits do Added Security contracts include?
    Enhance the resale value of your car. Any remaining coverage can be transferred to another private owner. Or you can cancel your coverage and apply for a pro rata refund.

If you choose a plan with a deductible, you will pay it only once for each repair visit. Some other plans charge a deductible for each different component repaired during the same visit.

Added Security protects your investment and provides an inflation hedge on future repairs. As with other goods and services, the cost of parts and labor will increase.

4. What cars are eligible for Added Security?
    Added Security was created exclusively for Subaru cars. Any Subaru model that is still covered under Subaru of America's basic warranty is eligible for Added Security, unless it is used commercially or is equipped with a snowplow.

5. How long does the service contract coverage last?

You can select the length of coverage that best suits your needs. You have a choice between eight different plan terms. You can even choose a plan that covers your Subaru until it is seven years old or has accumulated 100,000 odometer miles, whichever comes first. The plan term is calculated from the start of the factory warranty and at zero miles.

6. Where should I go to have covered repairs performed?
    Added Security is honored throughout the United States and Canada at nearly 600 authorized Subaru dealers, where you can be sure to get genuine Subaru replacement parts installed by factory trained technicians. However, in emergency situations, you may call our toll-free number for assistance and approval to have the repairs done by an authorized repair facility.

7. How are my claims paid if I have a breakdown?
    Added Security will pay the cost of a covered repair directly to any Subaru dealer. This includes parts and labor.

8. Will I have to pay a deductible?
    No! You can choose a plan with a zero deductible. However plans are available with a $50 or $100 deductible. It's up to you.

9. Why is Added Security the best value?
    There are several reasons why selecting the Subaru-backed extended service contract will always be the best value. Added Security is custom-designed by Subaru for your Subaru vehicle. You will not be paying for coverage you don't need. The pricing structure of an Added Security plan doesn't have to factor in the repair costs of the average vehicle. We cover only Subaru cars.
    John
    This is the SOA hard cover.
    Really? To my knowledge the Baja turbo auto w/leather is the only Baja in which that hard cover is available. In fact it's standard. I was told it wouldn't be available on other Bajas as an option. I guess SOA has changed their mind on this.

Bob
    Actually if it's std on some of them, 1 year after production it becomes a replacement part, so dealers can then sell them on other models. I know my local dealer is doing that now.

-mike
    I read in one of the Subaru baja brochures that the cover would be available as an orderable part. I called three dealers and the response from one was that they could not get it. Another quoted me $475 and the other (a small country town dealer) is going to order for $335.

Herb
    See footnote 2 on page 4 of the 2005 Baja sales brochure. It says that will be available as an option for the sport and regular turbo, after the introduction of the turbo with leather package is released.

Herb
    We have that warranty on our Legacy, we've used the roadside assistance portion of it. It's been to the dealer once and it would have been covered by the B2B warranty (we're still within that), but they gave us a nice loaner car and treated us like VIPs.

Of course we really bought the warranty for years 4-7 and the car is 3 years old, so ask me again in 4 more years. :o)

-juice
    not sure what to do here, the local Honda dealer is offering me a Ridgeline RS for $28k including destination, plus $15.5 k trade in for my 2003 Forester XS 5speed. Edmunds indicates that the Forester is worth, at best, $14.7k trade in. The local Subaru dealer offered $14k trade in on a new Baja.

I suspect that the Ridgeline price won't get a whole lot better, but the trade-in on my Forester isn't going to be so sweet if I wait 6 months trying to decide between the Ridgeline and an '06 Baja. I suspect that getting into the premium leather seated model of the '06 Baja (the only one with adequate head room) will run me about $25k minimum, with a trade-in of about $13 k.

For $12.5k difference for the Ridgeline, vs about $12k for the Baja, the Ridgeline sure is looking attractive. The lower mpg is more than compensated by the better resale value of the Ridgeline.

Anyone else struggling over whether the Baja is in their future?

John
    Sounds like they make more of a margin up front, so they can offer more for your trade.

What are your needs? Will you use the extra space, or will it just be wasted and use up extra gas?

If you can use the space I'd get the Ridgeline. Otherwise, if you want to have fun in a vehicle that's a lot easier to park, Baja.

-juice
  • pagrispagris Member Posts: 10
    I am considering purchasing a new Baja Sport and have been inclined to get a 5-speed (even though they seem to be very scarce here in the Mid-Atlantic area - I have never seen one at a dealership over the past couple of years). However, after studying the specifics of the differing AWD systems that come with the automatic and manual transmissions, I am thinking that the automatic's system may be functionally superior and would appreciate any opinions on this.

TIA - pagris
    VTD is indeed a more sophisticated system, but I think that only comes on the turbos, right?

So if you're getting a Sport model, the VC splits power 50/50 front to rear and is actually a little sportier in feel than the 90/10 default split of the automatic's system.

If you want a stick, get a stick.

-juice
    what juice said. The turbo auto with VTD is a high-level AWD system. The MT is next best AWD. The Sport auto AWD is on the low end.

John
  • pagrispagris Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the replies, members. I can understand where the 50/50 split might be better for normal driving, but isn't the variable power split of the the automatic's system better for inclement weather (ie, snow)? Or perhaps I am just over-thinking this.... Besides, if I get the manual, my kids can't drive it and my wife won't want too... :)
  • wht1986wht1986 Member Posts: 4
    Yup I'm struggling too. I've been bitten by the baja bug, but I am going to hold out for the 06s. Saving up enough to upgrade to the turbo if possible.
    bitten by the baja bug, now that is a rare disease :P
    The auto with the VTD is better--safer, since it senses slip and compensates. The standard auto (non-turbo model) is a 90/10 split front to rear.

I actually need to get out of my MT Forester as my back suffers from the constant clutching. So, I have been looking at the Baja AT with the turbo.

I am holding off waiting for the '06 model. The Forester XT auto made huge improvements in MPG and I am hopeful the Baja Turbo will also get the engine upgrades.

John
    I am pretty much decided to wait until 2006 to change out my Forester. It looks like the Ridgeline sales are slowing and prices should get closer to invoice. And, I still get 27-28 mpg in my Forester. It is the best car for me for the next 10 months or so. Hopefully Subaru will do something special for the Baja to revive sales.

John
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone have a site where I could checkout the '06 Baja? I did test drive an '05 Sport and Turbo, and very much liked the Turbos power. Has anyone towed a lite trailer with a Baja? I've been looking at the Nissan Frontier as well as the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, but I do keep coming back to the Baja. Just not too sure about that rear seat,though. Is it comfortable for passengers?
    thanks for any info.
    there are no specs out yet, official or otherwise.

Most people are saying "no changes" and that '06 is the last year.

Back seat? depends on how big they are. Anyone over 5'8" might find it tight on leg room and head room would be tight too. In other words, np for younger kids.

John
  • goofgoof Member Posts: 1
    I think it's the cutest thing on wheels. I own one, for about a month now. LOVE IT. Of course, I'm a 74 year old granny who doesn't evidently know any better. Best car I've ever driven, owned or seen.
    Congrats on your new Baja! May you enjoy it for many years to come! :)

Bob
    Hope you get 12 good years out of that Baja. :-)

-juice
    Another pickup rolltop bed cover. They even offer a version for the new Honda Ridgeline!

http://www.rolltopcover.com/

Ridgeline pics:

Video:

http://www.rolltopcover.com/demo.asp

Bob
    I swear I already replied to this...odd.

Any how, that's very neat but it does seem to occupy 4-6" or so at the top of the bed. Still very useful.

-juice
    I posted this info in the "Suggestions for Subaru" thread too, which is where you replied. :) I cross-posted as I'm not sure everyone reads both threads.

Bob
    That explains it.

It was like Deja Vu all over again.

-juice
    great find and great pics Bob.

If Subaru were to "integrate" this into the rear bulk head, they would need to do away with the mid gate.

But, I would rather have a larger Baja with no midgate, than the current Baja with no midgate and and a roll top.

If we think about it, there will need to be a panel (a wide one) to install and access the unit for repairs. It would likely need to be motorized too, as I can't see a windup handle fitting anywhere that would give easy access to the user.

John
  • 2002outback2002outback Member Posts: 2
    Hi.
    Any resolution on this issue? I also have a noise problem in my 02 outback that I can't live with. I have only 26K miles on it and have been to the dealer 3 times already. The noise is a hollow knocking sound that is quite subtle (but is slowly turning my brain into jelly) and only occurs when the car is fully warmed up and under light load (like around 2500 to 3000 rpm with foot just barely on accelerator -- almost coasting) Sounds like something is loose and floating/knocking. Subaru already replace the timing belt tensioner and bracket, and just last week they replace two of the pistons (#2 and #4) with special pistons designed to not slap. This had no effect at all on the noise. As I suspected, it was not piston slap in the firat place. What a waste of Subaru's money to replace these unnecessarily under waranty. What can I do now?

Thanks
    Rich
  • 2002outback2002outback Member Posts: 2
    Hi.
    I have read a few discussions on Subaru engine noise in this forum and I am hoping someone can help. I also have a noise problem in my 02 outback that I can't live with. I have only 26K miles on it and have been to the dealer 3 times already. The noise is a hollow knocking sound that is quite subtle (but is slowly turning my brain into jelly) and only occurs when the car is ***fully warmed up*** and under light load (like around 2500 to 3000 rpm with foot just barely on accelerator -- almost coasting) Sounds like something is loose and floating/knocking. Subaru already replace the timing belt tensioner and bracket, and just last week they replace two of the pistons (#2 and #4) with special pistons designed to not slap. This had no effect at all on the noise. As I suspected, it was not piston slap in the first place. What a waste of Subaru's money to replace these unnecessarily under warranty. What can I do now?

Thanks
    Rich
    Just a guess, but that's what I'd look at next. Some folks have gone as far as removing them.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    The heat shields sound like a rattling from underneath the front. I can tell you from experience they do have a tendency to get loose. If you bring it in someplace, they will weld the loose parts - this usually lasts awhile (unless you drive in the NYC metro area with all our potholes.).

Mark
  • dracodraco Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just wondering if I'm the only one in here whose Baja smells like a sewer. The exhaust that is. At first I was told by the dealer it was due to the cold weather (Dec. in Ohio), but now it's July and it smells just as bad. It's embarassing to pull in somewhere and be followed by a cloud of stench. Also, it kinda "chugs" or "spits and sputters" under accelleration. I've tried using 87 octane (which is what it's supposed to run on) 89 octane, 91 octane and no luck with the smell or sputtering. And this isn't constantly changing gas, this is like using the same gas for 2 or 3 weeks so that it gets plenty ran through it.
    It's an '03 Sport, Baja Yellow, most options except leather, 19K miles, anyone wanna buy it?? I'm in Ohio.
  • mkeirmkeir Member Posts: 4
    Well.. when your carrying 900K in funds for deposit upon which you have issued checks as well as original deeds and security instruments and are left standing in the middle of a road trying to explain to a roadside assistance employee ( a service included in the purchase price of the car) why its important that you get back to your office instead of 30 miles in the opposite direction , its not exactly the same as an ordinary day when say i might just be taking the dog to the park for a walk.

Again.. its about a lack of customer service. It took 15 minutes and ME finally asking if it were possible for me to pay the difference before they would even send the tow. The answer for 15 minutes was "we can;t do that "