Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I want the low range and that supercharger! ;-)

Baja isn't out yet, but I bet there'll be plenty of yellow ones once they do come out.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    would be an even better name, or spelling.

Bob
  • squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I'm pretty much through test driving, and I'm hoping to get some pricing info soon. Won't Subaru announce something before they hit the dealers? I'm even at the point where I'd plink down a deposit if the price was decent. With repairs to my 10 year old car looming, I may end up getting something else if they don't leak out some news soon.

Anyway, someone said that a 6 CD in dash should be an option. Is that an option on all Outbacks? I know that the Macintosh system is exclusive to certain models, but I'm talking about the factory "premium" stuff, like the in dash, subwoofer, speakers, etc.

Dan
    For sure they'll offer a premium sound package, since it's available on pretty much all cars.

In fact, even the cheapest Legacy L (which we just bought) had a 6CD changer option, tweeter kits, premium sound speakers, and a subwoofer option.

I'm sure the Baja will get that stuff, if anything it's more likely to get that stuff put on cars that end up in dealer lots.

-juice
    It's tough with no news. I've been driving everything that would meet my needs, to feel better (and to justify) getting the Baja. I drove the regular 4cy Outback, as well as the OBS, Isuzu Axiom, Pontiac Aztek, Pontiac Vibe, Isuzu Rodeo Sport, Saturn Vue, Chevy Tracker, Chevy Blazer, Nissan Xterra.

I hope the Baja is close in feel to the Legacy Outback, because that was perfect in power, comfort and handling for my needs. The neutered mid-gate and pickup bed will make it near perfect. I hope they think about adding a lap belt for the middle of the back - even if it's a hard storage area. It would be nice to keep it legal if I have 5 inthe car, even if It's only for a mile or two.

Any other arrival date rumors? August would be cool!

Dan
    I'm sure this thread will pickup (pun intended!), once the car, er, pickup, hits the streets; probably(?) in September.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I should have pics of a nudge bar from australia for the Baja in about a month or so. It should be cool.

-mike
    I hope it's August, too. The Mazda 6 and Honda Accord arrive in November, so Subaru would get more attention if they're early.

-juice
  • cahcahcahcah Member Posts: 4
    Am I the only one that thinks $25k is too much for the Baja? For its size and towing capacity I don't understand how it would cost that much. $20k seems more reasonable to me, but I'm a cheapo.
    Well it should cost the same as an equivilently equipped outback. All it is is a chopped outback. It isn't trying to compete with a ranger pickup that costs like $10K it is a different kind of vehicle.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The Subaru boxer engine and it's AWD system alone is worth $20k. :-) Yeah, people looking for towing capacity will not be looking at the Baja.

-Dennis
    Retail will be $25-27k, but street prices will likely fall into the $22-23k range.

If that sounds high, consider that the new car average expenditure was $27,477 in 2001 for imports (source: Automotive News Market Data Book).

Shop around - those prices are below average.

-juice
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    A couple of months ago Patti suggested we play Baja Quest at the Subaru Baja site. Just wanted to thank Patti for the tip and report I won a $300 Bean gift certificate. Isn't America great! Jack
    HOLY COW!

Congrats. I'm going to play it again - right now!

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Congratulations Jack!!!

I'll just have to keep trying.

-Dave
    I saw the yellow one at the flower show in Philly, but a co-worker of mine saw a maroon Baja in South Jersey last week. Maybe they will be rolling up in August after all! BTW, he added that it was "unimpressive looking with that cladding ,kinda ugly". Sounds great!

Dan
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Subaru's HQ is in S. Jersey. Could've been a pre-production model.

-Dennis
    Cool. Patti sort of dropped a hint that she had seen one, or maybe even driven one. It was a vague hint.

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Silver looks better, as expected. Check out that 2"x4" in the bed - for stacking plywood?

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PF Flyer
    Host
    a high-theft vehicle! ...And it hasn't even hit the streets yet!

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=211360

Bob
    Hey, I think having the VIN etched on all those panels is a big plus. In fact, I was glad to learn the Legacy has that.

-juice
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major daily newspaper is looking for owners of SUTs like the Chevy Avalanche and Ford SportTrac. Why did you buy it? How do you use it? Would you consider buying another in the future? Chicago area residents are especially encouraged to respond. Please send your thoughts on the subject and daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than July 30.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Be nice to Jeannine, she got me quoted in Business Week. :-)

-juice
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... random automotive trivia has been known to happen as well!! Hope to see you there!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host

and already I'm talking about the *next-generation* model, which I would assume be built off the next-generation Outback...

I've posted several links on the new GMC Envoy XUV, this being the latest:

http://www.trucktrend.com/index.jsp?articleid=84958&viewtype=text

I would think it would be wise of Subaru to consider this approach to the next Baja—if for no other reason, it would make Ed very happy. ;)

Seriously, I think GMC (and Studebaker) have/had a great idea here. If Subaru offered an Outback-like vehicle, with a rear sliding roof, like the XUV/Wagonaire, and with a hose-out cargo area, it would be a huge success. It would be a lot more practical than the current Baja, and just as useful.

Just my $.02.

Bob
    But how are you gonna have such a payload in the baja? Think about it, someone sticks in a big heave fridge and recks the rear end due to overweighting it down, who is to blame?

I dunno seems like the OB based vehicles are not cut out to be haulers due to the construction?

-mike
    Legacys are reportedly going to be larger than current models. Maybe they'll also be a bit beefier too? Also, by the time the next Baja debuts, they'll have had more time time to do whatever is needed. The current Baja, for all intents and purposes, is nothing more than a "crash" project, that was rushed to market.

Still, I agree, stuffing in a refrigerator would be extreme usage.

Bob
    They can come up with something, but anything too large will cut into the GM market, and GM can't have that. Remember GM will keep any and all subaru products in check.

-mike
    there's nothing to stop someone from putting one into a current Baja. At least with the tall sides (a la XUV), you would have a better chance of securing a refrigerator in place. It's still a dumb idea.

The real advantage is that you would have a much larger "secure" area, than what is found on the current Baja, plus you can open it up for tall shrubbery and the like when needed.

As much as I hate the lwb TrailBlazer/Envoy/Ascender, this sliding roof of the XUV I think is a real breakthrough in SUV design. Thank you GMC (and Studebaker)...

Bob
  • mtnbiker3mtnbiker3 Member Posts: 8
    I live in central Indiana, and a local news station had the story from SIA on the Baja job 1. Showed the first car (truck, crossover,?) rolling off the line. Here I thought I was going to have the scoop this morning, but as always, rsholland beat everyone to it. I have not been too impressed with the looks of the Baja, but I have to say, I liked it more when I saw it on video. Maybe it will continue to grow on me. Can't wait to see one in the flesh.

Randy
    http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=38509&dm=yes

Interestingly Subaru plans to sell 24,000 Bajas per year, whereas GM plans to to sell 40,000 Hummer H2s per year!

There was big article on the Hummer in today's Baltimore Sun (Business section). Every one is pre-sold, with a long waiting list of customers. Even though GM is huge, the Hummer brand is far more a "niche" brand than Subaru, and there are far fewer Hummer dealers nationwide, than there are Subaru dealers.

Who'd a thunk?

Bob
    Yep, Patti mentioned they came off the assembly line. Let's see who spots them first.

Luxury SUVs are booming, don't ask me why or how but they are. The H2 is just cashing in.

IIRC the Tahoe, not TrailBlazer or Durango, was the 2nd best selling SUV last month. That's odd because it's a high priced full size model, not a mainstream or mid-sizer.

-juice
    but that's almost two Hummer H2s, to one Baja!

Bob
    Let's see which has a sustainable demand, though. If gas prices spike, odds are H2 sales will suffer and Baja sales will increase, for instance.

But honestly, a fool and his money will soon part, and those fools will line up for the H2 that they'll never, ever take off road. It's all about the style.

-juice
    I was stopped at a traffic light yesterday, when a new H2 pulls up along side of me! It's the first one I've seen on the street. It must have been just purchased, because it had "temp" tags on it. It was beige colored, much like the color of most computers.

As most of you know, besides Subies, I like all types of vehicles—especially trucks. I gotta tell ya, I find the new H2 to being one handsome looking rig!

Bob
    and noticed they've put up some new images of the Baja. These "new" images show a redesigned rear licence plate holder.

If you recall, a year or so ago, a rumor surfaced that the Baja's drop-down rear licence plate did not have a light, which is required by law (which caught Subaru with its pants down!). This new unit appears to have solved that problem.

There are pixs of both the old and new licence plate holder on the site.

Bob
    H2 is kind of cool looking, it's just that people buy it for the wrong reasons.

I remember we talked about that light and wondered how they'd solve the problem. Let's see who spots one on the streets first.

-juice
    Maybe it was my Pathfinder straning me last week, needing a tow and an new starter. Or maybe it was the 25th day above 90 degrees, and I don't have air conditioning in the Pathy. Or maybe the lack of waves... who knows? But I'm all pumped up, I ordered a Black Baja, auto with the light thingys and the bed extender. I also asked for any upgrades to the audio, like 6 CD and subs, but the dealer couldn't confirm if they ship with any stereo upgrades from the factory yet. I was all set for the monotone, but the helpful link to a picture from this board made me think that black is the one for me - kinda looks like a Deystroyer-era Ace Frehley costume! Way more "out there". I didn't tell them if I would buy or lease until the pricing comes out, and my deposit is refundable for any reason.

Since the first one rolled off the line a week ago, shouldn't they be arriving in early September? It seems like they would know the cost by now...

Bring it!!!

Dan
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    The Wagonaire references just keep coming.

Anyway, after looking at the Baja site a teeny little lightbulb went off inside my head. The "brushed aluminum-look" dash and door switch trim on the Baja might be a nice switch for those Legacy GT owners who don't like the "plood" but want something a little more distinctive than the Legacy L's plain trim.

Ed
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... random automotive trivia has been known to happen as well!! Hope to see you there!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host

• subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I found out that I'll have a Baja to drive on the weekend of 8/9. I'll post my impressions on the following Monday. If you have some questions about it, please post them and I'll check it out while I have it. Have a great Thursday!

P. S. - I'm going to try to get into the chat tonight. I've been having some problems accessing it, but hopefully they've been resolved.

Chat with you then (is there an emoticon for crossed fingers???)

Patti
    Hmmm Are you free on the 11th? Maybe we can have an inpromptu Pine Barrens Run on the 11th. Since we know you'll have the Baja. E-mail me offline to discuss if it's possible.

-mike
  • hylndr61hylndr61 Member Posts: 51
    Several pictures of the Baja posted on the Subaru web site show a bike rack mounted in the cargo bed. A review of the accessory list, however, does not list a bike rack. Is this standard on the Baja or will it be available from an aftermarket supplier? Any information you can find out would be appreciated.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    No confirmations on any accessory items yet. We usually do not have much information until the contracts are signed and the initial items are tested out on our pre-production models. I have not seen the bike rack yet for testing (but it may be that I haven't been around while they were checking it out).

More information should be available in about 2 to three weeks. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!

Patti
    Subaru uses Yak racks, so check those out at REI or a similar store to get a preview.

You'd be the first, Dan. If you don't get a 6CD, you can always find a take-out stereo from a WRX. Those guys often get XM satellite radio, and sell the 6CD for usually about $250.

One guy in the Forester thread is selling his for a bargain $200 right now.

-juice