Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Okay - I have more information. It apprears that the fork style bike rack that mounts on the sides will be available late in the year. It does not appear that they will be ready when the car is released. I'll keep you posted!

Patti
  • hylndr61hylndr61 Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the info!
    Do you by chance have any pictures of the Baja in a color besides yellow? It sure would be nice to see some shots up on the Baja website.
    It was kind of funny when I called the three Subaru dealerships in my area looking for pricing information on the Baja. All of the salesman that I spoke with acted as if they had never heard of the Baja. It kind of surprised me.
    If you can - send an e-mail to Subaru.com or call us at 1-800-SUBARU3. We have some early brochures. They do not have a lot of information, but there are paint/color samples in the back.

I'll be driving the bright yellow - and it is bright, but I've seen the deep red and the silver (monotone).

Thanks for your interest!

Patti
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The monotone Silver looks best. Anyone have a URL for that one?

-juice
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The monotone plays down the "my cladding's bigger than yours nonsense"....oh....IMHO I might add, LOL!

Stephen
  • squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    One of them says that the switchback and the bed extender give you 75 inches of length - I thought with both employed it was supposed to be "about 7.5 Feet." 75 inches is more like 6.25 feet, right? That's a big discrepancy! I hope that they didn't lose the foot-and-a-quarter or so difference during production. I emailed Subaru with the question on Friday, but got no response.

Juice - that's a great idea. I bet that a lot of WRX tuner-types will want to part with the stock changer. Do Subie CD players read CD-R's?

Dan
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Our '00 Outback can read CD-R's written as normal CD tracks. But no MP3's, if that's what you're getting at.

-Brian
    Correct-a-mundo. I use CD-Rs in both of our 6CDs all the time.

-juice
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I have found that in the 6 disk changer in my WRX the CD-Rs I burn do a strange thing. Although they play fine most will not let the player go on to the next CD and rather repeat track one so I am forced to manually advance to the next CD. Most CDs I use are Verbatim media. Anyone else with the WRX in dash changer have that problem? Went looking for a player recently to install in my '92 Toyota pickup. Seems strange to me that in-dash changers are rare in the aftermarket business and MP3 capable ones are rare as OEM systems. Anyway if anyone is interested in MP 3 systems Aiwa makes an inexpensive one (model mp32) for $160. Neat unit, 25 watts RMS/channel, steering wheel wireless remote, MP3 and CDR compatible, motorized hidden faceplate, dot matrix display to show MP3 track names, 18 FM and 12 AM presets and CD changer controls. I have had much fun burning MP 3 Cds with 7 to 8 CD's worth of music.

TWRX
    We burned some kids tunes on an Imation blank CD-R and it goes to the next CD just fine.

-juice
    Not a bad review, but they said nothing about how it drives.

-juice
    I noticed that the image gallery has been updated to include "Production" photos of the Baja. The selection includes shots of the truck in both black and silverstone. The body cladding really stands out on the black and the silverstone seems too bland for my taste. I recently read an article on the Autoweek website reporting that Chevrolet is eliminating the body cladding on the 2003 Avalanche in order to "expand the appeal". Will Subaru follow?
    I had thought they would, given Lutz hates cladding, but the Baja came out well after Lutz joined GM. Subaru has been fiercely independent, which is bad sometimes, but mostly good.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    2,400 pounds. Who won the "pool"?

-Dennis
    I lost, I had predicted no change from the Outback.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is that with MT AT or both?

-mike
    I bet it's for the MT, though I'm not sure if they stated it specifically.

-juice
    The Baja website (subarubaja.com) lists vehicle and accessory pricing under "Order your Baja" Great value IMO.
    WOW!

That is a LOT less than we expected! We were forecasting about $26-28k, right?

That bodes well for when the H6 arrives, it just might be the cheapest way to get that engine.

-juice
    Smart pricing on the Baja. It will be better able to compete against the Honda Element ($16,000-$22,000) when it debuts in December. They will share the same target buyer.
  • hackleheadhacklehead Member Posts: 1
    I agree with squiredogs regarding the length. 75 inches is correct? Subaru emailed me back to say they didn't know. I'm just trying to figure out if I can move my rowboat like I can now in a small pick-up with the gate down. The boat is 12' X 4'. I called 2 dealers to no avail. They didn't know much about it at all. Hope I don't have to buy a pick-up. I'm accustomed to my '88 GL-10 which handles great! (I tie the boat to the roof, but it's not easy).

Baja pricing ($23,995 base) is a bit pricey to me since I will also have to add the necessary accessories. I figured more like 20K my friend payed for the Forester.
    I recieved this email from subaru answering my 7.5 ft vs. 75 inch question:

The first specification for the '03 Baja announced in the 1/7/02 press
    release was:

Lowering the tailgate and attaching the Subaru accessory bed extender
    lengthens the bed to nearly 7.5 feet.

The above specification was preliminary and subject to change and is now:

Lowering the tailgate and attaching the Subaru accessory bed extender
    lengthens the bed to 60.5 inches. Lowering the rear seat and Switchback
    cargo bed door can then provide a maximum load floor length of about 75
    inches for carrying long items.

I have been advised that the final spec. above (75 in.) is the final
    specification for the '03 Baja. Your comments and disappointment have been
    forwarded to our Product Planning Department for their review. Best
    wishes!!

John J. Mergen
    Subaru of America, Inc.

So I was pretty dissapointed. I can get better at riding a shortboard, or just let a few more feet of my board stick out and drive carefully. Then the great news about the fair pricing! I was between this truck and an AWD Pontiac Vibe w/my $2000 GM rebate. I think I will still go for the Baja I reserved, but I will end up leasing as to be ready for the improvements/corrections/GM clones a few years from now.

If I get the AT, bd extender, and the light thing on the rack, what would the MSRP be? I can't access the Baja site from my crummy old Macintosh. Can anyone help me out by checking?

Thanks
    Dan
    Base MSRP- $23,995
    Automatic Transmission- $800
    Bed Extender- $250
    Cargo Area Spotlight (?)- $65

You may need the latest version of Macromedia Flash (free download) to get the website to work properly. I have had some problems with the site as well.
    Forgot the destination charge of $525
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Get a "fun board" or hybrid. ;-) Perfect compromise!

Also, wouldn't a pick-up type surf rack help?

Found this with a search:

http://content.surfline.com/sw/content/surfline/surfingGirl/gear/features/surf_racks.jsp

Check out the Da Kine pick-up pad. I couldn't find it on their web site though. Maybe because they're updating their product line.

-Dennis
    You can't post that up, you are promoting a competitor to Edmunds on here! Bad Bad Boy!

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    they're only referring to links that have message forums. I don't think(?) that this link has that feature. Although, just mentioning it, does "promote" it...

Bob
    Over in the "ask the hosts" they seem to feel that any links that promote competitiors to Edmunds is a violation. I'd think that since that site does reviews like edmunds does, that a link like that would also be in violation! Communists over here!

-mike
    Hi all! Well, I got to put the Baja through its paces this past weekend. We had a lot of fun. It was Baja yellow so that may have contributed to the amount of attention it got, but it is different looking so who knows.

When I first drove it, I was a bit surprised by the lack of surprise. It road just like a 2.5 Legacy Outback. I realized that I didn't have enough to offer a fair comparison so, I went on a mission. I drove my Father-in Law's Ford truck for a bit. Then, I borrowed a friends Avalance. One more turn in another friends Chevy truck (sorry - forgot the model but it was the little pick-up). Then, back to the Baja. I really appreciated the smooth car feel.

The control on tight turns at a good clip was very good. Very responsive steering, but, if you've driven an Outback, you'll know what I mean.

The rear seat holds two adults comfortably. The center console with two cup holders and a small compartment for storage was very nice for the girls that were traveling with me, but some folks might miss having a center seat space.

This model had the accessory gate extension in the bed. I used it a few times. I asked the girls to "load it up with as much as you can". In went 5 suitcases, a vacuum, a large cooler, 3 large moving boxes and misc. bags full of clothing and anything else they could find. Then we drove around again. It still had a wonderful ride. The license plate came down very easily with pushing two small buttons.

I'll have to check out the measurements you want for the length of the bed. However, with the gate up, 4 thirteen year old girls put their pillows in the bed and stared up at the stars very comfortably side by side.

The most fun was the looks that we got. With the rear gate down, you cannot see the name of the vehicle and the manufacturer. We kept hearing (sometimes shouting down the road) "What is it" and "cool car". One child riding on a bike down the street yelled "Whoa - check it out!! Let's catch it". According to the girls, he was kind of cute, so I slowed down for them to check it out.

A casual survey of the "viewers" had me convinced that this is a vehicle for younger folks. Over 65 just did not like it (so I thought). 45 to 65 liked it, but not the color.

Well - wrong! I gave brochures to a very varied age group. My OLDER brother has decided that he wants to buy one right away (yellow!!!) and my Father-in-Law is trading in his truck ASAP.

The drive was great. It wasn't a 5-speed, so I had to get used to an automatic transmission, but it was a nice break from shifting all of the time.

The power was sufficient and I was able to pass other vehicles with a full load without a problem. Would I prefer a 6 cylinder - yes - that's just me. However, my wallet prefers the 4 cylinder. I got incredible gas mileage. I can't post what I got because it is information that the EPA needs to confirm and I don't want it to appear that I'm touting a number that they will not get. I will say that it was better than any of the test vehicles I have driven over the past 3 years. NOTE: I have driven two WRX 5 speeds and one LL Bean 6 cylinder so it may be average for other 2.5 engine drivers.

Make sure you test drive one as soon as you can. The smiles and questions you get from other drivers will help you have a better day!

Patti
    It will indeed be very interesting as to who buys this vehicle. I still think it will have a strong appeal to the Harry & Harriet Homeowners, empty-nesters, and to gardeners—but only after the word gets out, and not in yellow.

Does yours have the optional roof lights? Frankly, I don't care for them. They seem rather pretentious, IMO.

I understand a hard bed cover is in the works, but won't be available until sometime later. Any word on that feature?

Bob
    No, no roof lights on this one. I haven't seen them yet (other than pictures), so I'm not sure how I'll feel about them.

I think that the hard bed cover will happen much later (if at all) since it is not something that is listed with an ETA on the documents I've read. That being said - I've been surprised before.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Patti
    It's a shame you couldn't get one that is not yellow. I think the yellow will mainly appeal to a younger audience, whereas the other color choices will have more of a broad spectrum appeal.

Bob
    it was fun in the yellow. It won me over because it was so different. I was shocked whem my brother liked it instantly. He's usually much more conservative!

I'm really going to have to check out the buyer demographics when they go on sale.

Patti
    but would you really want to live there? Speaking of the yellow of course... ;)

I too would be very interested in the buyer demographics, both in terms of colors vs age, and the audience in general.

Bob
    I seem to recall, on the Baja web site, that there are optional interior cargo nets? I'm assuming these are to be used if you want to secure your cargo inside the Baja, and not in the bed.

Obviously, this means no rear seat passengers. Is there a vertical net that runs from floor to ceiling, to prevent cargo from hurling into the front seat area, in case of a panic stop?

Bob
    I'm not sure. I'll check it out tomorrow. It would be a nice idea!

Patti
    The image gallery at http://www.subarubaja.com has been updated to include photos of the vehicle in black, red, and silver.
    I guess that the first batch of Baja's will be good to go in September. Since it's a 1st year model, I guess there may be some bugs, although I've heard great things about Subaru build quality. And it's mostly an Outback already, so I think I'm good. I almost had some initial remorse, sending me back to the Vibe, after losing the 15 inches from the bed length, but I think I can make it work. Would the bed extender be removeable if necessary? I can always let the 10' baord hang out a few feet when I'm only driving like 4 miles to my other break. In town, it's only a few blocks, and that's only when it's too cold to walk.

Good idea about the hybrid, Dennis. I have one on my list of thing I want next year. The 8'8" funboard I have is light as a feather. That could hang out a little too. I was also thinking of using that DaKine off of the extender, if the switchback opening can still be used with that kind of angle. I guess I had better bring the board with me before I sign the final papers...

Dan
    The bed extender is an option, so it has to be removable, or you could just not get it.

I think the price is very reasonable. You gotta remember it's equipped like the $2k pricier Outback Limited, not like a Forester X. Plus, you can negotiate, so I bet they'll start at about $21k once initial demand subsides.

That's the best photo of the midgate that I've seen so far, and it's bigger than I thought.

How 'bout a hard cargo cover that slides back and down, to double as a ramp? I'd like to see some exclusive and clever stuff like that.

The black one looks good, better than I thought. Silver is still the best, then black, then red, then yellow, IMO.

Check out that window tint! They are darker than any other Subie! Please, Patti, ask them to offer tint like that on the Forester SX and high-end Outbacks, I'd love to get factory tint on my next Subie!

I still think the cladding is too much, but I'll admit the Baja is growing on me. I think it was the lower-than-expected price, and perhaps me thinking that I'm a little more outdoorsy than I really am! ;-)

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... random automotive trivia has been known to happen as well!! Hope to see you there!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

If my ISP works, I'll be there. :-)

In the post above I meant XS, not SX. Too many acronyms out there.

-juice
    They put a pretty positive spin, IMO, calling it much better than a pickup, basically.

Right now the Sport Trac is the most car-like crew cab out there, and it's based on the old Explorer truck.

-juice
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    The more I read about the Baja, the more I find myself liking it. But it wasn't until I read the Autoweek article referenced above that with the reference to the El Camino or the Ranchero that I remembered that form. Now, that would be an interesting Subaru Outback derivative! I've never felt an interest to a four door pickup, and even the Baja has been slow to grow on me, but there is something of the 70's child in me (teenager in the 70's that is) that is attracted to a Rancho-Camino version of the Outback. The last time I saw a Brat, I felt the same - but I never really had a liking for the Brat until after I found myself owning an Outback.

But then, one of my big desires growing up (aside from the obvious) was a car based panel wagon such as I saw in New Zealand, basically a station wagon with only a front seat and an enclosed rear - no side windows or doors behind the driver and passenger. Saw the same in Australia 20 years later, they called them Utes. I even liked the Vega wagon because it reminded me of the same form.

I suppose that's why I like my Outback wagon so much, and insisted on tinting the windows first thing. But as years pass, I do appreciate having the rear seats and the resultant noise reduction from the interior trim in the rear. Cars are getting better over the years, and the ute of my dreams would be terrible impractical. Sigh.

Forgive my rambling. I look forward to seeing my first Baja in person. Maybe I'll have to make a special trip to a dealer to take a look.

Steve
    GM coul always bring over the Holden Commodore Ute which would basically be a GTO with a bed! How nice would that be to see a nice v8 5.7l el-camino retro sold!

-mike
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    a test in today's USAtoday of the Baja. Basically, the reviewer liked the way it drove but questioned the utility aspect and didn't care for the cladding. This is pretty much the overall feeling that I've garnered from folks that are familar w/the Baja. He failed to mention that the monotone color combo of silver & silver cladding is available and goes a long way to minimalizing the overbearing cladding affect.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/2002-08-15-subaru-baja-drive_x.htm

Stephen