Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    The proper door adjustments should be able to cure you rattles. See what the rep tells you but in the mean time try and locate a general area where the noise is comming from. Also check the inside handles for the noise I have seen several of those..One other quick try is a little rubber door stopper like thing on the back of the door. You can turn it out for more back tension on the door that sometimes will help..good luck
  • bear21bear21 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2002 Odyssey for 2 months. Last night I noticed for the first time that the security dash light continues to flash after locking up. It continally flashes at about the same rate as the radio security LED. Is this normal ? Thanks.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Thats what it is supposed to do. Anytime you lock the van without the keys being in the ignition those lights come on. That tells you everything is working correctly. Bad thing at least in the 01's were I could not find any kind of information about it. They didn't even have the light listed on the dash display which told what everything does.
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    Just placed an order for 2002 Odyssey EX. I went to the Honda Odyssey problems discussion and was very disturbed about the number of problems people are having with their transmissions. Did Honda address these problems with the new 5-speed unit for 2002 or are people still having problems with the new unit as well? Also, is it worth is to have the dealer install a tow package to add extra transmission cooling capacity? Thanks.
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    98 Odyssey much smaller, regular doors like sedans, built on Accord chassis with 4 cyl engine. Town Hall Odyssey owners have new, larger Odyssey.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Contrary to ody01's rather pompous posting not all posters on this forum have 99-02 Odysseys. It's true that the vast majority of them do, but as far as I am concerned owners (or prospective owners) of 96-98 Odysseys are very welcome too.
    To answer your question the 98 Odyssey is a fine vehicle but you should still take all the usual precautions when buying a previously cherished car, even when that car is a Honda.
  • jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the all the responses to my question. Thanks auburn63 for the details. Very helpful.
  • ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    Our Ody has just over 12k miles. The SRS light comes on after the engine is started and stays on. Anyone else had the same problem? If so, what was wrong and what was the fix?
  • s1ginss1gins Member Posts: 51
    The SRS light in my Acura TL came on and stayed on just as I was going in for regular service. The dealer said something was wrong with the passenger seatbelt latch and replaced it under warranty. Light is now off.
  • j1kenneyj1kenney Member Posts: 2
    We have 45000 miles on our 2001 Odyssey.

Troubles so far:
    - Clunking from rear brakes while reversing (Honda has no fix but applying brake disk quiet to back of pads will fix);
    - Phantom sliding doors (power system gets confused if someone grabs handle to open door at nearly the same time the key fob is used - they periodically also just close part way and stop. All seems to fix after a routine service call);
    - Shimmy in driver's side mirror (replaced one with no measurable improvement);
    - Rubber grippers in front tray cupholders dried out.

This pales in comparison to my 97 GC that I had to "dispose" of because of an electrical problem which drained the battery after a few minutes of use. Chrysler refused to fix under warranty and told me to sue them if I didn't like their answer. Skipped the suit and bought my third Honda.

Improvements I made:
    Bought 2002 rear cupholder inserts (2000 didn't come with inserts).

Improvements I would like to make:
    Replace tailight unit with 2002 unit? 2000 ODY has red rear turn signals...I prefer Amber which I believe are on the 02.

Improvements Honda could make on future models:

Less wind noise in cabin.
    Adjustable lumbar support in front seats.
    Power Sliding Sun Roof (Moon Roof to some).

Overall...a damn good buy. Ride remains excellent. Michelins are just beginning to wear. Front brake pads will be replaced at 45K service. Interior is holding up very well (I have two small children). Fuel economy seems to be holding at 25 combined (we live in a mostly rural area). 0 non scheduled down-time. Even scheduled downtime has been kept to less than half-a-day at a time. Bought the extended warranty (mostly because this is Momma's car and if Momma ain't happy no-one's happy).

Bottom line-I look forward to buying the 05 Oddysey (I also plan on trading my other car in on the 03 Pilot).
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Hard to see how one electrical problem in the GC--which could have been confined to one component such as alternator--outweighs all the drawbacks you mentioned with the Odyssey. All GC dealers are not equal and if one could not diagnose the problem correctly another one might. There are numerous independent shops that specialize in electrical problems since they are so common.
  • tmac00tmac00 Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a previously enjoyed 99 EX. We are very happy so far (less than a week). Is there any way to know if recall repairs have been performed on my vehicle? Build date is 11/98. Thanks for any help or advice.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Why don't you contact your dealer and they can run the vehicle's VIN number through their computer system. They should be able to access every Honda's record to see if that vehicle has had the recalls performed.
  • j1kenneyj1kenney Member Posts: 2
    I actually went to three dealers over a 6-month period. Having to jump start a car every time one wants to drive certainly outweighs minor inconveniences in the Ody. Eventually discovered the problem to be a "known" problem with 97 GCs..a defective body side computer mount which caused the board to crack and power to go to ground on the seat chassis. Found this out 3 months after I sold the GC. I'll keep the Ody..it starts every time and the drop down third row seat has been a real treat. Won't go near Chrysler ever again...mostly because of the way the dealers and the Corporation treated me. I was actually told be a Chrsyler Customer Service Manager that "we sell millions of vans...one unhappy customer doesn't really matter". I'm sure one doesn't to them but one certainly did to me!
    I can understand your feelings about DC. I've gotten different responses from different customer service people so I would be inclined to call several and at least get a meeting with a factory rep and the dealer service director. Hope Honda has better customer relations.
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    This occurred after driving the vehicle for 30-40 minutes, all dashboard warning lights came on solid and then went out. Wife took the Odyssey in to Honda service but they couldn't find anything wrong. This has happened twice in the past month.
  • colorbokcolorbok Member Posts: 7
    Hello --
    Just a thought here but why is anyone complaining about getting 80% of their transmission paid for? If you don't have the extended warranty you should be liable for 100% of the cost. If you end up paying $1000 for a "new" tranny and the extended warranty is about $800, you're really only paying $200 for a $4000-$5000 repair. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me...
    Nothing like getting great service from your dealer, huh. Made an appointment nearly two weeks ago to drop the van off last Friday at 9:00 a.m. They kept it all day. We called 2-3 times to find out what the problem was, but each time was told the technician still had the vehicle, they weren't sure, etc. Finally at 7:00 p.m. we stopped by the dealership to find out that the sensors molded in the passenger seat we're faulty. The parts were not in stock (there's a shock), but were ordered in for overnight delivery the next morning. We would have the van back on Saturday. I called the next morning to find out that the parts didn't come in, they were on backorder. I guess now I get have to hope and pray that we're not in a wreck because the air bags will not deploy.
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Wow, that certainly bites. But at least Honda's on the ball and trying to resolve the issue. As for being in a wreck (knock on wood), I wouldn't worry too much because the Odyssey ('99 to '01) received better crash ratings than most minivans (w/ side airbags even), 5 star crash ratings to be exact.
  • sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    Won't your dealership give you a loaner until your van is fixed? Seems like a safety issue to me...

Scott
  • sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    Check the alternator. Check to make sure it hasn't loosened on it's mounts and that all belts and pulleys are tight.

In a different formu somebody else had the same problem and their alternator itself was loose on it's mounts and it was causing the problem.

Good Luck!

Scott
  • bboy3bboy3 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 1999 EX. Only problem was doors, but dealer worked with problem until fixed. Traded for 2002 this year. Now have a shimmy @ 40mph and above. Factory said the suspension was changed from the 1999. Honda would do nothing about it. Dealer has offered to put new tires on it. Before I do that, I would like to hear if anyone else has had this problem and what was done about.
  • mmcnamarammcnamara Member Posts: 27
    My 2000 Odyssey was plagued with a shimmy that occurred from 55 MPH up to around 80 MPH, straight from the factory. After repeated balancing of the tires and rotating them, I told them to check the run-out on everything that rotates. The result? Two Firestones that were out-of-round. After those were replaced, no shimmy. Good luck and keep after them until it drives right.
  • tmac00tmac00 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99 EX with 37,000 miles. Put it up on my buddy's hoist to find an oil leak at the back of the engine at the head gasket. Anybody else have or hear of the same. If so any results and or actions by Honda. Thanks for any help.
  • cincy_ody_mikecincy_ody_mike Member Posts: 28
    I've been away awhile, but I recently had an incident and was wondering if anyone else has heard about a pattern.
    I have owned my '01 GG EX since April and have 15K miles on it. The oil has been changed every 3-4K miles and the tires rotated on alternate oil changes, including 2 weeks ago. Last Wednesday, I was taking the family on a trip from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach. While driving south on I-77 in Virginia around 9:40pm, I started to notice wheel vibration on the right side. At first I thought it was road conditions, but after about 3 minutes, it did not go away. I changed lanes to verify that it was or was not the road. The vibration did not go away and started to get to the point where my wife noticed it as well from the passenger seat.
    I said I was going to get off at the next exit (about a mile) to investigate. Just as I let up on the gas at 65MPH, the right rear tire blew out. Fortunately, there was no sudden change in direction and I got over to the right shoulder within a couple hundred yards. When I got out to inspect the damage, I was surprised to see that the blowout was on the inner sidewall. Between the gravel shoulder and the lean of the van, the included jack was not sufficient to raise the vehicle to remove the tire. I called AAA and they installed the temp spare.
    I inspected the tire for signs of puncture, but the tread shows no damage, nor does the sidewall that was on the outside (aside from wear from running on the flat for a short distance). The alloy rim also had no damage.
    I got the tire replaced the next morning at Wal-Mart with another identical Symmetry and continued onto our destination.
    I understand that Michelin warranties the tire against defects, but has anybody ever tried to make a claim? I still have the tire in my posession.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Can anyone recommend a good tire for a 2002 Odyssey? Looking for one with a nice quiet and comfortable ride.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    Be advised that you should probably replace the other tire as well. It is always preferable to have matched tire wear. However, since you only had 15000 miles on the tires you can probably get away without changing the other one. I would however and I would keep the other as a backup.
    I had the 5th blow out on the same tire and called Michelin and was told to have the other 3's tread read. Use the one with the highest reading to go with the new tire but it had to be at least 5/32 or 5/64th (can't remember which) and it would be ok to use. I had two at 5 and one at 6 so I was ok for 17,000 miles. They told me that new was about 10/32 or 10/64
    Tire tread depth is normally expressed in 32nds
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Was the tire repaired 4 times ?
    yes it was repaired 5 times but since after the 4th time it was becoming winter here and wasn't planning on any highway driving until last week we just kept driving it since it didn't leak and they were all small holes. With the 5th flat I replaced it due to our going on a 2000 mile trip. I think they put a magnet in the tire when they produced it as it was the only one to receive flats and it had been rotated so wasn't in the same place for all of them.
  • cincy_ody_mikecincy_ody_mike Member Posts: 28
    None of the tires showed very much treadwear. In fact, there is only 1/32 or 2/32 between the new tire and the other 3.

Has anyone tried to get a tire covered by Michelin under warranty? I'd like to be armed with the information before I try to take them on.
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    I'm shopping for a minivan and have pretty much narrowed my search down to the Odyssey, but still have some concerns.

1. As I'll be purchasing a used Honda I'm concerned about these transmission problems. Any problems past the 2000 model year? For those that have had the transmission replaced, have the new transmissions held up?

2. The earlier models also seem to have problems with the front end/shimmy. Does this problem manifest itself immediately or did it develop over time?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Have done much searching and keep finding stuff I don't like on every van out there:
    - Toyota S. don't like the rear seating, expensive,
    - MPV, liked it until I found out it had a Ford engine
    - Ford, Dodge, GM--reliability--need I say more
    - Nissan right now probably my second choice
    - Kia unproven
    This is not really an answer to your question but in reply to your comment on Dodge reliability--IMO if you can live with the SE trim line you will avoid a lot of potential electrical problems and you can buy a new one with 7/100 powertrain warranty for what a used Ody will cost you or less. Many vans appear to suffer from premature trans failure and Honda auto trans are notoriously expensive to replace.
  • chads1chads1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am considering purchasing a 2002LX. Are there any major problems that I shoud be concerned about? Have the transmission problems with earlier models been solved? Any assistance in helping me make a wise decision is appreciated. Thanks.
  • joeyemjoeyem Member Posts: 1
    AN OBSERVATION:
    After reading numerous postings about the transmission problems owners have been having with the Ody and the raw treatment at Honda dealers, I changed my mind about buying one. A $4500 transmission bill (unless you work out a deal and grovel with the dealer and get the factory to pick up up to 80%) is not enticing; the other more minor problems don't help. This is about reliability too isn't it? How the Ody can be in a sellers market is beyond me.

If I could get a separate 100K mfr's warranty on the trans I'd consider the buy. I don't think there's much chance for that happening...and I'm not going to pay $900 for an extended warranty covering what can be viewed as defective product to begin with!

In the mean time I was looking at Toyota, but have read that their engines have been blowing out. In their case though I understand regular oil changes will prevent the problem, but it has to be on schedule and timely.

Last but not least, friends who own the Chrysler Town and Country are pleased. I haven't researched them yet. Other friends like their Chevy van. Does anybody make a good reliable van?

I'm really sorry to read that the venerable Honda name has now been trashed. Ironically the consumer reports on the Ody have been glowing, the opposite of reality. Looks like the Japanese have met their Waterloo . Just goes to show you reality is found on sites like this.
  • mudry1mudry1 Member Posts: 8
    You can't always believe everything you read on these boards. Believe the CR before you believe the horror stories here. Most of the bashing comes from people who just don't like Hondas or even other car dealers. I have stopped and talked to every Odyssey owner I have come across for the past three months (and there have been quite a few) and talked to them personally. Not one person has said anything negative about them. If you hear of a problem here, most of the time it is a fluke. A problem is going to happen no matter what kind of vehicle you buy, but I guarantee that with a Odyssey, the problems will be with fewer vehicles than other makes. Also, Honda will stand by their products even when the warranty expires if there is a known problem. This is coming from a first time Honda buyer who has done tons of research and am currently waiting for my Mesa Beige EX-L to come in. Paid MSRP in CT.
    There is nothing out there without problems, even your feet. Walk on them long enough or far enough and you will have problems. If you want the perfect machine, I suggest you try to invent it, as no one has of yet. As far as the $900 for the extended warranty. Whats the big deal. You have car insurance don't you. How about medical insurance. Must be your body isn't any good either or you wouldn't need it. In other words no matter what vehicle you buy there is always the chance of a problem. I went to the auto show in Detroit and saw a Rolls there with a small paint run right near the passenger door handle. Now if any car should be perfect thats the one. So buy the Odyssey and don't worry if the sun comes up tomorrow. Get the warranty for the $895 and enjoy.
  • campingmancampingman Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 LX with 25,000 miles. Left rear shock absorber failed and Honda is going to replace it under warranty. My question is, should I make them replace both left and right, or is it ok to just replace the one that failed? They only intend to replace one, but that seemed a bit odd to me. Any thoughts?

Paul
    Campingman,

Honda's liability is limited to the failed component so I doubt you will convince them. Even if Honda won't pay for it, if it were me I'd replace them both at the same time.
    IMO extended warranty is a ripoff:

Honda warranty is 3 yrs. so extended warranty only has value for years 4-7. Major components usually fail in first three years if they are defective. If you keep your cars more than 7 years you are on your own!
    Only if you don't use it. Of every 10 vehicles I bet 7 of them will need some kind of warranty work done between year 3 and 7 years or 100K. No I can't produce any facts, just a gut feeling on the 30 or 40 vehicles I have bought in my life time. With dealers charging anywhere from $50 to $100 or even more per hour the $895 is cheap piece of mind. Why not cancel your car insurance after you get your licence plate, as the odds are you won't need it either.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    >>Honda warranty is 3 yrs. so extended warranty only has value for years 4-7. Major components usually fail in first three years if they are defective. If you keep your cars more than 7 years you are on your own! <<

I would agree except that I own a EX-Navi and I will buy the warranty because I'm sure those doors will fail sometime in the first 100k. Also I just bet the Navi system would cost a pretty penny to fix.
    All good reasons not to buy an Ody!
    Then buy something else, but you won't do any better. Of course we won't know for 7 years and by then who cares.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Then buy something else, but you won't do any better.

The good news is that statement is completely false.
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    One could have many reasons not to buy an Ody. But a $900 warranty??? This is the least expensive of all the minivans I found.

I serious looked at four different minivans prior to making my purchase. Since I plan to keep the minivan well into the third kid (I have two now), I was going pay for a 7/100 warranty no matter which car I choose.

It seems that all minivans do worst than cars as to breakdown and repairs. Add the fact that the wife (and me) likes bells and wistles, it does not make sense not to extend the warranty. What is the cost to replace one seat heater or a power sliding door motor? Its not just about ABS computers and drive train any more.

Even with DC's powertrain pledge, to extend the coverage to the whole vehicle costs about $1,300 after barganing.

Don't buy the Honda if you don't like the ride or the plainjane styling. But $900 warranty??? Its the best out there.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    guill: MPV has been reliable even with the Ford 2.5l, so why not consider it when it gets the more reliable and more powerful 3.0l?

The tranny is a Jatco, not a Ford unit, and the rest is all Mazda. It's a nice van, with reliability scores better than the Odyssey in CR. You should at least consider it.

If you still choose Ody, at least you'll be glad you considered all your options.

-juice
    I can get a cheap warranty for up to seven years from my auto insurer and not have to pay for it upfront. Point is you should not have to if it's really a Honda.
This discussion has been closed.