Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    To summarize what "6 or 7" editorial and data folks around Edmunds say:

We have verified and re-verified this data with Ford. We rely on Ford's published value, even though Ford agrees with us that this spec should be greater for the 02/03 Ford Escape's with different wheel/tire sizes.

So even though we (Edmunds.com) know the ground clearance spec should be greater for the Escapes configured with standard 16 inch wheels, we go by what Ford publishes. /end of summary/

So please rag on Ford to fix their data, since that's who we rely on :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    varmint,
    The design year does not make any difference in this case. A new model can perform poorly in a crash test no matter when it was built. Occupant safety was not ignored back in 93-95 when the first CR-V was designed. Both vehicles performed marginally their first time around. Honda made some necessary adjustments, and now it bests just about everything else in it's class.

As for the comparisons to older models, I just find it odd that some folks get all excited about a vehicle that they don't even own. Take a look at what you are driving before you start dumping on what I am driving. I'll just leave it at that because I'm trying to be mature about all this.

davegh,
    I forgot to get the Motor Trend test numbers last night. They did have the 2002 CR-V besting the 2001 Escape by .1 sec. in the 0-60. However, the Escape finished ahead (I forget how much but I know it was a little more than .1 sec) in the quarter mile.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    First of all, my crv beat my friends v6 when we gunned the cars from 40 to 60 mph! There was no comparison there! We also ran two 0 to 40mph races and I won one by a hair and she won one by a hair. The CRV dragged from 25 to 40 mph, it really dogged it compared to the V6 during that section. Both are automatics. Could it be the driving style? Possible, but both being automatics I can't imagine their is too much room for differences there.

As for the crash test, Varmint is right, and that was my point exactly.

I ran the numbers for the 225/70R15 and the 235/70R16. In theory your larger tires would give you a ground clearance of 8.43 inches. That is taking into account only half of the tire, as it should be. www.ford.com says the 235/70R16 has a ground clearance of 7.8 inches so thats not edmunds problem, that is certainly the manufacturers issue to work out.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The MotorTrend data is similar to the drag race comparison posted above. When comparing the acceleration rate, the Escape comes off the line marginally quicker, it gains notably faster up to about 40 or 50mph. Then there is a big flat spot in the Escape's performance. That is where the CR-V takes the advantage. From about 40-60 (or maybe it was 50-60), the CR-V accelerates much faster than the Escape. It makes up the difference and then some. The CR-V reached 60mph in 8.9, and the Escape in 9.0 seconds.

Over distance, the Escape does better by MT's data. No question about it.

Both were automatics. Conditions of the test were equal. Both vehicles were revved up to redline. It's the same data used in the TruckTrend comparison. Comments from the same article state that the CR-V's block "felt" like a V6" and was much smoother than the Escape's at higher rpms. This is consistent with what other mags have reported.

Overall, I would give the Escape the nod as the better performer. Though, not by much. My report card would show an A- for the CR-V in acceleration. The Escape would get a solid A. Based on that data, neither deserves an A+.

Of course, anyone looking for performance differences as small as these is probably an enthusiast. If they are concerned with half a second at the quarter mile, then they are probably not going to object to a manual transmission. This is one area where the CR-V comes better optioned. When comparing acceleration times with the short geared, more efficient 5 speed, the CR-V is the Escape's equal if not the better performer. The 5 speed has been consistently scoring in the mid 8 second range with quick quarter mile times/speeds as well. That is an A+ performance.
    Yes, but don't forget to read the lateral g's and slalom speeds of the two. When you're done, compare them to a semi-sporty car and see if you still want to go out for a spirited drive. I'll stay far behind thank you very much.
    That never stopped people from buying Mustangs.
    Or Corvettes for that matter, but they didn't roll over as easily when pushed to those limits. Both cars have higher limits now though.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Does your wife have the XLT V6 Escape with the 16" wheels and P235 tires? Park both your CRV and her vehicle side by side and take a look under for yourself. I have done this. There is no way in he... you can say the CRV has more ground clearance. Anyone can do this and see this for themselves..
    Consumer reports has the Escape at 8.5 second 0-60 times.. This is the Honda bible!
    Another advantage over the CRv is the Escape is built in the good ole U.S.A. Made by a fellow American! Support U.S workers, buy North American..
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Scape, I don't know if you've heard, but to buy a car built in the USA, you have to buy a Japanese brans...American cars are built in Canada and Mexico. I love how wacky globalization is...check out the following:

American brands (Ford, GM) built in:
    Canada, Mexico, South America

Japanese brands (Honda, Toyota, Nissan) built in:
    England, USA

German brands (VW) built in:
    Brazil, Mexico

Korean brands (Hyundai, Kia) built in:
    (Surprise of surprises!) KOREA!!!!
    However, soon, to be built in USA. Hah! So much for simplicity!

So what you have to choose is whether or not you want a Korean, Brazilian, Mexician, Canadian, or Japanese car...since most of the cars made in the USA by Japanese car companies get sent to JAPAN to be sold! Why? Better quality than their other factories. :) So you can only buy American if you're Japanese.

Go figure.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I believe the Escape's point of assembly is near Kansas City.

Whether this should be an important factor in buying a car is a discussion topic in itself!
    I finally remembered to look the Motor Trend numbers up. Here they are:

Model--------------2001 Escape XLT------2002 CR-V
    Date---------------Tested 12/00---------Tested 12/01
    Price--------------$23,305--------------$23,000
    Engine-------------3.0 V-6--------------2.4 I-4
    Driveline----------4A/4WD---------------4A/AWD
    Max Power----------200------------------160
    0-60 (sec)---------9.0------------------8.9
    1/4M (sec/mph)-----16.7/83.1------------17.0/79.4
    Braking 60-0---125 ft.--------------133 ft.
    Slalom (mph)---59.0-----------------58.1

That's their most up to date data. I don't have the actual articles any more, so I can't tell you if any abnormal conditions existed. Their web site doesn't seem to have the CR-V test either.

Also, I'm assuming that it is an EX model because of the price. For some reason it is the only Honda without a specified trim level listed. Shouldn't make much difference though.

*edit*
    Sorry about the "jumbling" of the alignment. It did look nice when I first typed it.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I saw your troll for me in #1292:
    "My vacation was great! Like I said saw more RAV4's in California than CRV's and Escapes.. Don't know why? I would take the CRV over that dinky RAV4. The RAV4 is a spendy little bugger.. "

Sorry I was too busy to reply immediately.
    But, OK, I can play now.

You keep bringing up how your Escape out-accelerated a new-from-the-lot CR-V that your Honda salesman-buddy provided.

I pointed out before that it might not have been fair to compare a very green engine's performance with one that had a few miles on it (yours).
    If I recall correctly, you even agreed with me back then.

But now, you are back to, "I proved the Escape is much faster!"

And did you ever think what your comparison test did to that new Honda engine?
    Did you think about the unsuspecting buyer who gets a new vehicle with a green engine that (probably) has been red-lined?
    Do you care?

Inky dinky doo.
    scape, I agreed with you on the ground clearence on the 235 tires, I calculated 8.43 inches.

I know engines have a break in period and it is very important to take certain precautions. The main reason for this is the engine metal is young and needs to be treated randomly, in the regards don't drive your car only at 60 mph for the first 1000 miles. Why, because your drivetrain will configure to that speed in terms of metal expansion, etc... So redlining a new engine is not nearly a big of deal as varying your driving speeds during the break in period. That one burts of redline speed shouldn't create to much metal movement. Did I exaplain myself ok? I am rushed during my brief lunch break today.
  • hondaman01hondaman01 Member Posts: 163
    Thanks for your data baggs but my question is why would a company base a new vehicle and its safety ratings on a model that was about to be revised? As we all know, Honda improves each of their vehicles every 4 model years so why would Ford base their new 2001 model on a CRV that was at its end? No matter what you say, my 2001 CRV is a little ahead of an Escape and mine was developed 7 years ago! pretty odd!

YES I have driven a new CRV! I rented one for two works for my work and we were four on board and drove 4000km's! I am sure that I have many more miles in this car than you do! I was very impressed at how Honda makes a 4 cylinder so great! Contrary to what 2 of you say, I never had any problem rolling at 120-140 (km's) at ANY time and passing was a breeze! I am amazed how Honda makes the best and smoothest 4's of anybody! BUT I will agree that my experience (UUUUGGGGHHHH!) with my rented Tribute did make me believe that there is no way an auto CRV could beat the 6. I found it quite strong even though it never lasted more than three days!!!!!!.

As for your comparison to Nascar....well you picked the wrong guy for that. I have been a racing maniac for the last 20 years with Formula 1 and CART and everything else! Nascar is developed on basic mechanics and high technology is not part of the picture. Formula 1 cars cost 5 million bucks each and have more computing tech than an F18! Ford does quite well in racing and that is why I am surprised that they have not really put this technology into their cars as much as Honda or Toyota! The Mustang is a great car BUT only now does it seem to be better developed even though it is quite problematic. I had one before and I loved it but it did need a lot of tender loving care.

Scape no matter how much you want to win the argument over acceleration (though I do tend to agree somewhat) the 4 of Honda is way too close to that BIG 6 even with its 40hp advantage. I know, I tried both and yes I believe the Escape is faster but not by much. You also keep stating that it revs higer.....ALL Hondas rev higher...that is part of the technology. Their 6's rev MUCH lower than your Escape.
    You missed my whole point.. I did not say buy U.S. manufacturers, I said buy vehicles built here in North America. Honda/Mitsu/Volskwagon/Toyota, heck even BMW's are made here in NORTH AMERICA... Don't forget I own a Honda Accord.. MADE IN The U.S.A.!
    HOndaman.. Your saying the 2001 Escape, that was released in 2000 was actually made to compete with the 2002 CRV??? HUH?? I would bet the development of the Escape/Trib started in or about 1997. HOnda/Toyota and even Suzuki/Kia had such good success with mini-utes Ford/Jeep/Saturn/Hyundai wanted some of the action.
    I sure like the way you just love to justify in your mind the 4cyl being more powerful, quicker, whichever than the V6 in the Escape. 40HP does make a difference along with the extra 40ft/lbs of torque. Why aren't you using the consumer reports 0-60 numbers for the Escape? You sure love to quote consumer reports on everything else??
    hondaman,
    Your feelings about how your older CR-V compares to the Escape are noted. But, as all you Honda people like to say so much, the numbers don't lie.

How is it that you think the Escape was designed (several years ago) to compete with the 2002 CR-V? Which, by the way, was not seen or heard of until over a year after Ford released the Escape. Are they somehow going to design the 2004 Taurus to compete with the 2007 Accord instead of the 2003 too?
    Clearly, the Escape was not developed to compete with the 2002 CR-V. I'm sure the 1996 CR-V was only one of many benchmarks that Mazda used in the Tribscape's development.

However, it is expected that the Tribscape was designed to be better than the old CR-V. Crash safety is one area where they failed. As a result, the 2002 CR-V has effectively leap-frogged the Tribscape by a whole model generation.
  • bascottbascott Member Posts: 27
    The CRV and Escape are close, that is why when I was looking it came down to the two of them. In the end I bought the CRV. Obviously the 6 is faster than the 4 at a cost of gas milage. I have never had any power issues with my CRV uphill with a full load or otherwise. In the end it came down to Honda quality and resale value.
  • corynatcorynat Member Posts: 52
    0-60 is pretty pointless. Getting into traffic. Turning left across lanes. Passing. Those are things that happen everyday. Having owned both, the Escape does those things better than the Honda (2000 CR-V is my only point of ref.) No contest.

Looks - Subjective

Reliability - Until proven wrong - Honda

Fit and Finish - Equal (surprisingly)

Resale - Honda, hands down. Hardly had to argue price for trade-in.

Of course, this is ongoing. Had three problems with the CR-V in two years, all minor. Waiting to see with the Escape.
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    The 2002 CR-V has no problems "turning left across lanes, passing, getting into traffic". There is a contest and the Escape is really not much better than the CR-V even with a bigger engine.

Looks - agree are subjective - I think the Tribute is better looking than the Escape.

Reliability - agree Honda wins.

Fit and Finish - some 'expert' reviews have rated the Escape/Tribute poorly in this area. Have not found any reviews knocking the CR-V fit and finish.

Resale - agree Honda wins.
    "Crash safety is one area where they failed."

varmint,

At least they didn't score lower in the IIHS and NHTSA tests.

I took another look at the IIHS pictures http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/photo_comp_smsuv.htm after reading Road and Track's online review of the 2002 CR-V. They tell us that Honda added some extra under-floor bracing to the 2002. When you look at the crash picture of the CR-V, it does not seem to have a bend in the roof like the Escape does and the back end seems higher off the ground.

I'm wondering if that might be a large part of what caused the big difference in the test? Could be a pretty simple fix for Ford if it is.

• tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Details, it's in the details.I could have had
    either loaded for the same price.My son works for
    FORD and took me to a backlot where I could look at bunches of Escapes.The thing that sticks in my
    mind is the carpet in the cargo area.It was not trimmed, just cut. A day long drive found it
    lacking in low end torque,thirsty,noisy,and rough riding.In the end I had to ask myself,why is there
    so many unsold Escapes,but so few unsold CRVs?
    So I went with the crowd.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I think the reason there are so many unsold Escapes is not because people don't buy them (cause they do), but because I'm sure Ford makes much more Escapes than Honda can make CR-V's, but the same number of buyers buy both SUVs.

But you're right, considering how very close these 2 SUVs are in basically every area, you just gotta nitpick at the details.
    tomsr,
    I believe the cargo carpet was trimmed and sewn in the 2001's. I guess they got a better deal on the untrimmed/unsewn carpet for the 2002 MY. The carpet edges tuck away underneath the surrounding moldings, so I didn't give it a second thought because I never see them any more.

I always thought the standard floor mats were a little cheap and off-color. I just might have to shell out the extra dollars for the fancy Escape logo mats.

diploid,
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    I expected the Honda to be better in fit and finish as well, but was surprised to find it was not. Of course, that is only with my experience.

Loaded is a subjective term as well. There are options available on the Ford that are not available on the Honda. Leather, being an obvious one.

Duck - Like I said, I can only compare to the 2000 CR-V. Against the 2000, there is no contest. That being said, the low end grunt the Escape has would be tough to match. I have no doubt that the Honda makes up for the initial lag by the time you reach 60, but from what I have read in previous posts, the Escape gets a lead early on and that would support what I am saying. I was always able to do those things in my CR-V, but I feel much more confident doing them in the Escape.

One thing I am curious about with the the new CR-V is the AC. I always thought the AC could be improved. Did Honda address that?
    On my '02 EX, all the trim pieces fit perfectly - the first car I've owned where there was at least one trim piece that was not correctly fitted. My other cars have always had rattles and squeaks, sometimes very severe. The EX does not - there are some very minor squeaks on rough roads.

I can't compare the A/C with the previous generation CR-V since I didn't own one but the '02 works great.

Any V-6 should be more powerful than a 4-cyl. From what I've read, there is very little difference between the Escape and CR-V.
    Changed the air filter in my Escape recently and it was a bugger. Make sure the housing is on completly, may feel like it but be sure to check for proper seal all the way around. The position of the housing makes it a bit difficult to ensure proper fit. If you don't get this on all the way your engine life may be short lived...:-))
    Otherwise, my Escape at just over 12,000 miles runs like a champ, purrs like a kitten, pulls like an ox! I know I made the right choice..
    Have you trained it to roll over?

(couldn't resist)
    The CRV does exceed the Escape in the fit and finish (Edmunds use the term shoddy for the Escape) As for Leather, I don't want it, you stick to it in the Summer and the CRV comes standard with side air bags and ABS that are options on the Escape of similar price.
    ABS is standard on the XLT and you don't stick to the leather in the summer. I know this because it is summer now, I wear shorts quite often, and I have an XLT with the leather. Although, it's not exactly the highest quality leather which may help in that situation.
    I stand corrected, you are right the ABS is standard. But I still don't like the leather interior (personal preferance).
    bascott,
    I didn't think I would either. Our Escape was the only one that rolled off the truck that wasn't pre-sold, so we didn't have much choice and didn't want to wait. I've really grown to like the leather for some reason. Maybe it's the smell or something.
    Surprisingly, the leather is great when you have a two year old, especially if it is a dark color.

If you do not like leather, then the fact Honda does not offer it is a non-issue, but there are plenty of folks that do want leather and I think it is too bad that Honda waits until they need something to keep sales high before offering it.

Where does Edmunds say the 2003 Escape interior is shoddy? The quote I saw was:

"A very capable small SUV thanks to its powerful V6 engine, spacious cabin, handsome looks and car-like handling. One of our favorites."

I specifically mentioned that they were equal in my experience. In my case, like duck, I have no trim problems. I admit to being surprised. I expected to have some.

The CR-V is a nice vehicle. I liked mine. My neighbor just got a new one and it looks very nice. Wish they would put some bigger wheels on them though.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you trained it to roll over?

No training is necessary. It's like the mammalian diving reflex - they're just born with the ability! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    tidester,
    Are you saying that the Escape knows how to roll over by instinct? Or, if I may bend your words a little, it rolls over better than others? Who's side are you on anyway?

Don't mind me, it's Friday and I'm itchin' to leave work.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm just having a little fun! Have a great weekend.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Both the CRV and Escape have a shift lever on the dashboard but I prefer it on the floor and with
    a manual shift mode.I would not consider the CRV fun just functional.Nobody has created a sportscar
    with lot's of room for hauling stuff yet and that's too bad.A 5 speed CRV is in high demand
    but even harder to find so I guess the 2003 Forester with a 5 speed would be next choice.
    The new Infiniti G35 would be cool if it was in a
    station wagon for under $30k.If you are rich you can get a Volvo Turbo but turbos have lag.
    "Nobody has created a sportscar
    with lot's of room for hauling stuff yet and that's too bad"

The closest thing you'll find is the Volkswagen GTI...a sporty car with quite a bit of cargo room when you fold the seats down....it's a sports-box. :) Until someone starts releasing "tuner" parts for the Escape and CR-V. ;)
    Baggs

I go away for a couple of days and return to read a response to my post. Well, let me explain again. My question was why would Ford develop a new SUV based on a 96 platform? Yes the CRV at that time was ahead of the competition but I have a hard time understanding a company that uses safety measures that were at least 3 years old (at the time) and matches them instead of surpassing them knowing that Honda changes models often. Now it can barely compete with the Sportage and even that is going to change models (based on the Santa Fe) in a couple of months. You guys gloated over a back bumper glitch for a while but I think that there are more serious issues you should be concerned about.

Scape

If you would please re-read my post you will notice where I said twice that I did not think that the CRV could compete with the Escape in acceleration. I can't understand why you would say that you find it funny that us "Honda Guys" like to think that our "little 4" is faster. I never did because I have had experience (bad!!!) with a Tribute and I also think that it is definately faster BUT.......not by much to merit a trophy!!! For a 40hp difference, it should blow it away but it doesn't now does it? How is that? Your an engineer so explain it to me.
    Gearing, the Escape can tow 3,500 lbs and has more GVWR and maxpayload.. Escape V6 is an advantage
    Also uses more gas and stalls a lot! Nice try...........still does not answer my question as to why acceleration is only a half second off with a 40hp difference. Your reasoning is not one of an engineer! My chum told me that when he tried to pull 3000 pounds the truck felt like it was going to come apart and he had all the bells and whistles for towing. I don't think they were made to really pull that much long distance. He now owns a Pilot and it pulls no prob BUT that is in a different league now isn't it?
    a typical Honda drone response..
    Gearing does make a difference. The Escape is more of a truck.. more towing, hauling, more payload, more maxpayload, more GVWR.
    Also looks like the Escape wins in Sept. motor Trend comparo! Yikes, this is going to make you Honda drones mad..
    I tow my two jet skiis and trailer/gear just fine in my Escape, solid as a rock! don't go there with the Pilot towing capabilities.. they are WEAK when comparing like vehicles in this class.
    Also, if Honda were so perfect and advanced why didn't they fix the rear tires weakness issue in crashtests? from model 2001 to 2002?
    Scape, I have a rebuttle with the towing debate.

According to other countries other then North America the towing capacity for the 2002 CRV is 1500 Kg's which is 3307 pounds! Yahoooo! All CRV's are the same not matter where you go in the world, except some places have the smaller engine.

http://www.honda.co.nz/

click on CRV, then specifications!

Just because Honda America has a bunch of conservative engineers, where Ford lacks the later, doesn't mean the CRV isn't capable of hauling as much as the Escape.

Nice try dave.. Your telling me Honda chose not to say the CRV could tow 3K because of a bunch of conservative engineers! LOL! C'mon your reaching for straws here. If Honda had the choice to say the CRV could tow even 2,500 lbs they would. Where is the trailer hitch? Look at the numbers Dave, 160HP/160ft/lbs of torque, look at your torque curve. I already loaded an automatic CRV down with 4 adults and about 3-400lbs of gear. NO-way the CRV could handle an additional 3K. The vehicle gasped, rasped, hunted for gears and barely made it up MT Hood HWY 26 and maintained even 50MPH.. The CRV doesn't have the gearing, GVWR or frame to tow 3K.
    I wonder why Motor Trend decided to test a 5spd CRV against automatics.. Maybe they wanted to CRV to at least win one category LOL! :-))
    Insurance regulations are stricter here. It wasn't the engineers that decided to not allow the CR-V to tow less...it was the accounting and legal departments. People make SO much off of lawsuits here, that car companies (under orders from insurance companies) have to make really really REALLY sure cars are capable of what they say.

As a direct example, the Escape could probably be rated to tow over 5000 pounds in Europe or Austrailia, but that's just a guess on my part. Anyone have any firm numbers?

The whole point is, the Escape is still stronger in the towing department, due to stronger engine, stronger chassis, and stronger suspension. So no matter what country you go to, sell the Escape and CR-V side by side, and the Escape will have a higher rated towing capacity. Well, except for Japan, where everyone knows that the government there gives a leg up to Japanese manufacturers. ;)
    Scape, back up your argument with some substance, like npaladin2000.

npaladin2000, I took the liberty to look up the escape in the same country that I linked the CRV to in my last post. The CRV is rated at 1500 Kg's and the Escape is rated at 1600 Kg's.

http://www.ford.co.nz/default.asp?content=sideDoor&location=showroom/showroom.asp&color=010025

Click on passenger vehicle, then escape, then specifications, then fact sheet.

Each company has to buy insurance for itself on the grand scale. Honda America has always been far more conservative the Ford has been.

Just for reference, that 1600 kg is 3527.40 pounds, so the Escape can tow more than the CR-V too, which can only tow 3306.93 pounds (and no, I can NOT see a 2.4 liter 4 cyl towing that much, no mattert how much torque you Honda lovers say it has). That's a 200 pouund difference in US measure. You also have to realize that in kg, the tendency is to round to the nearest 100. However, in the US, the tendency is to round to the nearest 500, i think...unless someone knows of a tow rating that's not a factor of 500. There's probably one around somewhere.
    npaladin2000, who would have though that a 4 cylinder would be comparable to a v6 in regards to acceleration? You are right about rounding numbers they way you stated. Essentially when rounding Kg you are rounding in bathches of 220 pounds instead of the American way of rounding 500 pounds. So, foreigners have a more accurate way of showing the costumers the towing limit of the vehicle.

I am sure everyone is aware of this, but just to make sure.... a straight 4 cylinder has four independent cylinders. The V6 has three pairs of cylinders that are joined together. Not, the same thing as a straight 6 which has 6 independent cylinders. So the V6 falls somewhere between the straight 4 and the straight 6. So, yes the v6 is made to be stronger then the 4, but not as much as one might initially deduce.
    Folks, there is no set standard for how a manufacturer reports towing capacity. For example, the numbers that Honda publishes are for a fully loaded vehicle (four passengers and their luggage). However, the numbers used by the big 2.5 are often with only a driver in the vehicle. I haven't found a source which gives specific information on either of these vehicles.
    types of vehicles over the years. The 2.4 has 160HP and 161ft/lbs of torque to pull the weight of the vehicle. Add passengers, gear and you add upwards of another 1200-1400lbs, now add another 3K! to that 4cyl, no-way, no-how. Keep trying to justify dave in your mind. The Escape tows more than the CRV bud...3,500lbs vs 1,500lbs.. The main point here is the V6 is much stronger than the 4cyl in the CRV.